PDA

View Full Version : Who should be Titans 5/8?

Coaster
22-04-07, 03:02 PM
Simple question

Robbie_Dee
22-04-07, 03:04 PM
Preston Campbell.

A prince/Preston combination would be deadly!

Chaos
22-04-07, 03:08 PM
I'm watching the Titans game against Manly...it's half time and already Prince has given Hilder six opportunities to create something with his backline and six times he has come up with nothing.

Maybe we can use Hilder as a utility but certainly not 5/8

Steelers
22-04-07, 03:42 PM
Preston Campbell. I have thought that since Round 1.

coldhardbitch
22-04-07, 04:17 PM
Hilder offers nothing in creative play. Preston-Prince halves ombo would work like a Benji- Prince combo.

Richie Mathers MUST be brought into the team also. He would cover at fullback, or cover Rogers at Fullback by playing Centre.

Boofhead
22-04-07, 04:26 PM
Its stupid how we are gimping ourselves by not having Rogers at fullback and Preston at 5/8. I have a feeling this weekend things will be reshuffled.

TITAN FOREVER
22-04-07, 04:36 PM
Things resuffled. ? Thought the guys went well to keep the score 6-2 our way second half. My vote is to keep going the way we are remember we were playing a top team today and did very well. Very unlucky not to have scored more. Thought Hilder went well today again. Even scored a try!

Chaos
22-04-07, 04:42 PM
Things resuffled. ? Thought the guys went well to keep the score 6-2 our way second half. My vote is to keep going the way we are remember we were playing a top team today and did very well. Very unlucky not to have scored more. Thought Hilder went well today again. Even scored a try!

We played well enough to win the game but didn't score the points...somebody needs to set the backline up and you can't always rely on Prince.

patskE
22-04-07, 06:16 PM
Hilder offers nothing in creative play. Preston-Prince halves ombo would work like a Benji- Prince combo.

Richie Mathers MUST be brought into the team also. He would cover at fullback, or cover Rogers at Fullback by playing Centre.

man we have alot of centers n stuff to cover for rogers at fb
i want to see amthers play fullback
but if his not ready
rogers then slot grahman in

alos tbh time to let paea go for peterson i rkn

Coaster
22-04-07, 06:21 PM

I think you have defence and attack completely back to front.

Our Defence was excellent, apart from the first 5 min, we had them at 8-6 for the rest of the game.

Our attack is hampered, by our inability to stretch a defence.

1:
If Preston is in the front line attacking, we dont have a fullback to create an overlap, have a look at the Broncos and how many tries they score off slotting a fullback into a line and creating a overlap instantly. The whole reason for the fullback to slot into the line is how most teams score backline tries.

2:
Hilder doesnt have the vision to pass to the correct player under pressure, this is not his fault, he is not a 5/8 afterall, he would make an excellent lock, with his great defence and vision in defence, but cannot get the ball to the players needed in attack.

This creates the defence to condense and limit our forwards, which in turn breaks our attack apart.

Hilder is a good player but he is not a good 5/8, the trial is over, time for plan B

TITAN FOREVER
22-04-07, 06:25 PM
Preston got a chance at 5/8th when Hilder went off, and he didn't make any difference to cracking the Manly defense. Our main problem today when we had them under pressure we made silly mistakes and let them off the hook. Manly to good in defense today.

Coaster
22-04-07, 06:35 PM
We are watching 2 different games then.

In my eyes the whole second half we dominated, and that is with no training or 6 game combination.

Sure we didnt do enough to win, but we sure did alot better than closing the play down at the 5/8.

TITAN PETE
22-04-07, 08:18 PM
I think we'll see a few different combo's with Prince but i'll throw another 1 in the ring for the chat , Luke Odwyer , he should be back in about 2 weeks & played most of his juniors & junior reps at 5/8 :) .

MonaroMan
22-04-07, 08:18 PM
1. Richie Mathers

3. Brett Delaney
4. Jake Webster

6. Matt Rogers

9. Preston Campbell

Coaster
22-04-07, 10:50 PM
I think we'll see a few different combo's with Prince but i'll throw another 1 in the ring for the chat , Luke Odwyer , he should be back in about 2 weeks & played most of his juniors & junior reps at 5/8 :) .

Yep i am hearing rumours he was destined to be the 5/8.

Hope all goes well for him

Steve
22-04-07, 11:04 PM
I'm undecided.
I actually don't mind Preston at fullback, he can add an extra dimension to the attack.
As for putting Rogers at fullback, well, he had a crack today and wasn't exactly flawless.

Problem at the moment is Preston is needing to come in as an extra half instead of a ball runner.
He's definitely capable of setting things up with a pass or a kick, but he's most deadly when running it himself. Prince is probably used to playing with that sort of player in the 6 from his years with Marshall.
Heck, maybe young Sandow should be given a chance.

I wouldn't use our game against the Sea Eagles as a way of judging anything.]
They're undefeated for a reason. The best defence in the competition. Every other team has had 11+ tries scored against them, we got Manly to 8.
Actually, it seemed to be more handling errors that let us down than anything else.

Judging by the reshuffle, if anyone is going into the 6 jersey, it will be Preston, not Rogers.

Coaster
22-04-07, 11:30 PM
There is another option.

Clint Amos

We have Friend at hooker, and Amos seems to have all the skills to be a half

patskE
23-04-07, 12:36 AM
MonaroMan campbell at 9.? i am pretty sure we are set at the hookers
but yeh coaster that is an option, great in defence n has the attacking vision
maybe it time for one of the young guys coming through the grade a chance?

i rkn friend needs to be a 80 min player, he can do it, just a matter of carty making the decision

also y dont teams kick of scrums? fullback is always in line these days, if u have fast players in ur team like webster y not? catch em napping, then they have to put the fullback back, leaving a 1 man overlap...
even if they have a faster palyer, they have to turn n chase were as u know wats going on, if they do get their b4 u, its down deep in their half...

but yeh i dont mind campbell at fullback, at 1st i didnt like it, but sorta growing 2 it
rogers can play fullback, he did for australia in union... smiliar roles, he just wouldnt of prac'd high bombs that much

but yeh i think hilder has to move from the 5/8 role...

mb63
24-04-07, 08:23 AM
I'd keep Campbell at full back & when Mathers is ready put him there & then Campbell at 5/8th.

lonegull
24-04-07, 10:10 AM
rogers to 5/8th, hilder is good defensively but just lacks a bit of vision, on the weekend against manly he seemed to be indecisive, i think rogers who played 5/8th for the wallabies reads the game well and we could use hilder as lock or as a utility of the bench

Social Loafer
24-04-07, 11:13 AM
Campbell would get absolutely smashed at hooker, there is no way he coudl make 30+ tackles a game week in week out.. I think Campbell has just become the lastest victim of this trend of pretty much putting a 2nd 5/8 at fullback.. If you look around the clubs, a lot of the fullbacks could easily slot into the halves.. Hunt, Bowen, Hornby, Zillman, Kearney, and Campbell...

TITAN FOREVER
24-04-07, 05:32 PM
Great post SCHIFTY, you are with the program of todays type of game.:)

dean
24-04-07, 05:46 PM
Presto HAS to be 5/8. Hilder is too slow and indecisive and because of this he totally stifles any attacking opportunity when the ball is in his hands. I would like to see Hilder get a go at lock. One big plus for Hilder is his strong defence but he definately lacks in the creativity department. Just about every Titan supporter that i know wants to see a Prince/Presto half combination. I think the sooner the better.

Darren Lockyer
24-04-07, 08:59 PM
Preston Campbell...................simple as that

Supergoose
25-04-07, 10:17 AM
I voted for Rogers for three reasons.
First Preston is warming to the fullback role and is playing pretty well back there. With Rogers at 5/8 there could be more interchange between them being 2nd receiver and the 2nd man.
Second Hilder has failed to ignite what is a very ignitable backline. While he knocks attackers down regularly in defense and seems to read the game well defensively he is more of a lock then a 5/8 when it comes to attack - I would have him at lock ahead of Swain.
Third Rogers has shown in glimpses this season his ability to read the game in attack and needs to get his hands on the ball more.
With Prince/Rogers in the halves and Preston chiming in from the back we would have a 3 pronged attack rather than 2 which is the case at the moment. I'm not opposed to seeing what O'Dwyer has in this deparment as I see him similar in attack to Rogers.

k-unit
25-04-07, 10:22 AM
Matt Hilder. He has done his job well and doesnt deserve to be moved. Good on him!

League Lover
26-04-07, 07:56 PM
Its so stupid that preston campbell isent the 5/8

k-unit
26-04-07, 08:46 PM
Its so stupid that preston campbell isent the 5/8

He has been playing good footy at the back. Why move him?

League Lover
26-04-07, 08:56 PM
He has been playing good footy at the back. Why move him?

yeah i agree with you but he drops to many bombs imo he should be 5/8

Big J
27-04-07, 10:06 AM
Hi All. This is the one topic that inspired me to go from being a silent observer to a forum member!! I can not believe we have a 5/8 of the calibre of Preston Campbell wearing the number one jersey whilst a genuinely good lock forward in Matt Hilder is made to wear it.

In my humble opinion I do not really care who wears the one whether it be Mat Rogers, Richie Mathers or even Jake Webster who has been as safe as any under the high ball. Campbell must however wear the 6 to give the attacking spark that was sadly lacking against Manly on the weekend. A game i thought we clearly had our opportunities to win with the amount of possession in their half.

My solution? Move Rogers to fullback where he can get involved more. The more times he touches the ball the better off we will be.

Preston must play 5/8. Simple as that.

Hilder to lock and Swain to the bench.

Oh and off topic but the sooner Petersen replaces Paea the better!!!!!!!!

Steve
27-04-07, 10:12 AM
yeah i agree with you but he drops to many bombs imo he should be 5/8

Actually, I can only think of one bomb he's dropped.
Just before he even played a game at fullback everyone went on about him unable to handle the high ball, so now in everyone's minds there's the thought he can't take them.

Keep in mind, when Rogers moved to fullback (a popular choice on the forum) he dropped a bomb too.

Chaos
27-04-07, 07:45 PM
Hi All. This is the one topic that inspired me to go from being a silent observer to a forum member!! I can not believe we have a 5/8 of the calibre of Preston Campbell wearing the number one jersey whilst a genuinely good lock forward in Matt Hilder is made to wear it.

In my humble opinion I do not really care who wears the one whether it be Mat Rogers, Richie Mathers or even Jake Webster who has been as safe as any under the high ball. Campbell must however wear the 6 to give the attacking spark that was sadly lacking against Manly on the weekend. A game i thought we clearly had our opportunities to win with the amount of possession in their half.

My solution? Move Rogers to fullback where he can get involved more. The more times he touches the ball the better off we will be.

Preston must play 5/8. Simple as that.

Hilder to lock and Swain to the bench.

Oh and off topic but the sooner Petersen replaces Paea the better!!!!!!!!

Spot on all accounts Big J...Cartwright, Sattler and Gillmiester all played in the forwards and although I respect the three highly, I think they need some advice in the halves

Grab someone like Mat Johns for a short term contract.

TITAN FOREVER
27-04-07, 09:16 PM
This post has been done to death. Get over it.

Chaos
27-04-07, 09:40 PM
This post has been done to death. Get over it.

You obviously don't agree with the above post...that's cool...I don't mind you stating your point of view but we see a problem and are trying to supply a solution.

You need all types of supporters...team players, critics, problem solvers, motivaters and the loyal followers.
We all play a part