17-04-07, 09:44 AM
Bundy Rum Test Match 2007:

http://nrl.com/Portals/0/Galleries/76/320/bundy-320.jpg

Australia vs New Zealand
Friday 20th April, 7:30pm; Suncorp Stadium

Referee: TBA

Team Notes:

Australia

Apart from the injured Mark Gasnier (chest), Greg Inglis (knee) and Luke O'Donnell (hamstring), the only player from last year's final to genuinely miss out was Bulldogs prop Mark O'Meley.

Selectors have shown faith in a Brisbane side down on confidence and although Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Justin Hodges and Karmichael Hunt were never in doubt, Brent Tate and Shaun Berrigan are lucky to retain their spots.

Dynamic Melbourne Storm second-rower Ryan Hoffman has been called into the Australian Kangaroos squad as 18th man for tomorrow night’s Bundaberg Rum Test Match against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium.
New Zealand

South Sydney prop Roy Asotasi was today named as the new skipper of the Kiwi rugby league team to replace the retired Ruben Wiki.

Asotasi, who has 15 caps, will lead a side with three 20-year-old new caps when he runs out for the Anzac test against Australia in Brisbane on Friday night.

One of the newcomers is in the starting 13 -- Parramatta back Krisnan Inu, who was a surprise selection when the original 19-strong squad was named yesterday.

Inu, who has just one first-grade appearance to his name, will wear the No 1 jersey.

The other new caps are on the bench in the form of Brisbane utility Greg Eastwood and New Zealand Warrior prop Sam Rapira.

Teams:

Australia

1 Karmichael Hunt
2 Brent Tate
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Justin Hodges
5 Matt King
6 Darren Lockyer (c)
7 Johnathan Thurston
8 Brent Kite
9 Cameron Smith
10 Petero Civoniceva
11 Willie Mason
12 Nathan Hindmarsh
13 Andrew Ryan
Interchange

14 Luke Bailey
15 Shaun Berrigan
16 Steve Simpson
17 Anthony Tupou
18 Ryan Hoffman *Late Inclusion*
Coach: Ricky Stuart

New Zealand

Krisnan Inu
Jake Webster
Iosia Soliola
Simon Mannering
Manu Vatuvei
Benji Marshall
Ben Roberts
Nathan Cayless
Dene Halatau
Roy Asotasi (captain)
Sonny Bill Williams
Tony Puletua
David Fa'alogo.
Interchange:

David Faiumu
Sam Rapira
Greg Eastwood
Frank Pritchard

Coach: Brian McClennan

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information***

Go_The_Doggies
17-04-07, 01:41 PM
South Sydney prop Roy Asotasi was today named as the new skipper of the Kiwi rugby league team to replace the retired Ruben Wiki.

Asotasi, who has 15 caps, will lead a side with three 20-year-old new caps when he runs out for the Anzac test against Australia in Brisbane on Friday night.

One of the newcomers is in the starting 13 -- Parramatta back Krisnan Inu, who was a surprise selection when the original 19-strong squad was named yesterday.

Inu, who has just one first-grade appearance to his name, will wear the No 1 jersey.

The other new caps are on the bench in the form of Brisbane utility Greg Eastwood and New Zealand Warrior prop Sam Rapira.

Kiwis: Krisnan Inu, Jake Webster, Iosia Soliola, Simon Mannering, Manu Vatuvei, Benji Marshall, Ben Roberts, Nathan Cayless, Dene Halatau, Roy Asotasi (captain), Sonny Bill Williams, Tony Puletua, David Fa'alogo.

Interchange: David Faiumu, Sam Rapira, Greg Eastwood, Frank Pritchard.

Copyright: NZPA 2007

Darren Lockyer
17-04-07, 04:05 PM
he will lead the new zealanders well

Queenslander
19-04-07, 02:49 PM
Hoffman called into Aussie Test squad

Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:00 PM

Dynamic Melbourne Storm second-rower Ryan Hoffman has been called into the Australian Kangaroos squad as 18th man for tomorrow night?s Bundaberg Rum Test Match against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium.

Hoffman made his representative debut for City Origin last year. His call-up to the Kangaroos squad caps off a tremendous start to the 2007 Telstra Premiership season.

The call-up for Hoffman came through early this morning.

?Craig (Bellamy) called me at about 8:00am,? said Hoffman.

?He said they were talking about having an 18th man and they mentioned me because I can cover a few positions, so they?re getting me up there this afternoon.

?No one is injured or in any doubt, they wanted me there in case anything does happen to one of the other players.?

As with every rugby league player, it?s been a dream of Hoffman?s to play for his country, but he has been given no promises about this Friday night.

?I?ve always dreamed of this. Obviously I want to play, but I?ll only play if someone gets hurt which no-one would wish on anyone. I?m just glad to be a part of it in any way, shape or form and I?m really excited,? said Hoffman.

?It?s going to be great to be a part of the team. I?m only down as an emergency just in case someone goes down in training or the warm-up, but it?s just great to be a part of the Australian set-up to see how it all works.?

Source: NRL

Queenslander
19-04-07, 02:49 PM
It's All About Ball Security for NZ

Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:49 AM

Despite taking a young side into battle in Friday Night?s test match, New Zealand coach Brian McLennan is confident his charges will acquit themselves well; however he doesn?t want the weight of expectation to be placed too heavily on the shoulders of his young halves combination.

?We?re keen to make sure that all of the pressure is not placed on Benji and Ben. Those two guys are there to try and steer the team around the park. We have other players who have the ability to go out there and be creative, and that is how we will be looking to play.?

?There is no greater challenge for a Kiwi player than playing against Australia in Australia. It?s an exciting time and the boys are getting ready. I know the younger guys are anxious, nervous and excited, but this game will make them better players in the future.?

When the Kiwis run out on to Suncorp Stadium they will face an Australian team, who have once again proven they are the benchmark in International Rugby League, after regaining the Tri Nations trophy at the end of last year, in what was a thrilling encounter.

McLennan remembers that game well, and knows his team will have to have a similar commitment level but also raise their skill level this time around.

?I think we have to put the same effort and commitment into the game as we did to the final last year, but at the same time we have to play with more control in the early stages of the game.

?We were over exuberant with the ball early in that game and it cost us. The boys put in a tremendous effort, but we want to and need to improve our ball security.

It?s hard when you spend the first 15 minutes of a match tackling like we did last time. Good ball security can rectify that.?

Knowing how to improve and doing that are two different things but McLennan sees a big upside to this team, and a lot of that could come from young prop Sam Rapira.

?Sammy Rapira is a talented young prop who is similar to Adam Blair, and we all saw how he came on last year. It?s going to be a tough assignment, but we know he can handle it.?

As the battle looms the banter between the players has heated up with Luke Bailey and Sonny Bill Williams firing broadsides at their own club team mates, admitting they would love to put a hit on Jake Webster and Willie Mason respectively.

Williams even went as far as saying he sees Mason as the new benchmark, a tag Willie would likely be reveling in, but the Kiwi coach was hard pushed to name the biggest Aussie threat, and is aware that there are many.

?All 17 of them, to just make the Australian 17 is incredible, it?s such a strong team I couldn?t single one player out.?

Queenslander
19-04-07, 02:51 PM
Kangaroos Vs Kiwis Preview

Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:50 PM

A bumper crowd will be on hand on Friday night at Suncorp and given the recent history between these two teams, they are unlikely to be disappointed.

Not only have recent encounters been close affairs; like last season?s Tri Nations Final, but they have also at times been spiteful and full of heavy hitting, and with the likes of Brent Kite, Willie Mason and Anthony Tupou representing Australia, and Manu Vatuvei, Sonny Bill Williams and Frank Pritchard lining up for the Kiwis that theme could once again be repeated.

There will be some jittery Kiwis out on the field on Friday night with three test debutants lining up, Greg Eastwood will start from the bench as will big Sam Rapira, leaving young Parramatta fullback Krisnan Inu to be the likely target of the high ball and plenty of attention early from a Kangaroos side who will look to put the pressure on from the outset.

The youth of the Kiwis could be their strength but it could also be their downfall. The inclusions of the likes of Benji Marshall, Ben Roberts and Manu Vatuvei means that the Kiwis may be unafraid to play a very attacking style, however that style is not always suited to the test arena and could see them unravel quickly.

The Australians on the other hand have a wealth of experience in the test arena, and have kept a team similar to the one which regained the Tri Nations? trophy at the end of last season.

Luke Bailey and Steve Simpson are the notable inclusions in the side and both of them come in with a wealth of representative experience, even though Simpson will be making his test debut.

The Australians could play the game anyway they choose and with a wealth of talent all over the park can play it up the middle or look to spread it wide, but expect the combination of Lockyer, Thurston, Hunt and Hodges to light up the backline at some stage of the night.

Watch out Kiwis: Justin Hodges has been in scintillating form for the Broncos, continuing on from where he left off last season he is fast becoming the best centre in the game.

Watch out Kangaroos: The size of the Kiwi backline is phenomenal. Most of their backs could play in the forwards, but the biggest danger could be winger Manu Vatuvei.

Vatuvei always takes his game up a level when he represents his country, and if he has a good night (of which he has had many lately) he could be a handful for either Matt King or possibly Brent Tate.

Key Match Ups:

Darren Lockyer Vs Benji Marshall

The Australian captain will line up opposing the Kiwi wonder kid. At club level both their teams are struggling and both players would be desperate for a win.

While Lockyer has a brilliant running and kicking game, Marshall is weaker at the kicking aspect, and needs his forwards dominating to have an impact. Benji will have to do more than just run sideways as he has done for much of the year for the Wests Tigers if he wants to have an impact.

Willie Mason Vs Sonny Bill Williams

If either player plays half as well as he has been talking of late, then this will be a huge encounter. Best of mates at club level, each would love the opportunity to hold the bragging rights over the other at Belmore. Look for some big collisions between the two Bulldog buddies.

Prediction:

Expect the game to be played at a fast tempo early, with plenty of play to go up the centre of the ruck from the big men. This game will be a lot tighter than many think, but the telling factor may be experience, and Australia dominates in that area.

The loss of Ruben Wiki is huge. No Wiki means a loss of power that is unrivalled and New Zealand will miss their inspirational former captain when it counts the most.

Tip: Australia by 8.

Queenslander
20-04-07, 04:49 PM
1957 Kangaroos to Parade Before Test

Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:49 AM

The Australian Rugby League will pay tribute to Australia?s first victorious World Cup team when it parades members of the 1957 Kangaroos before the crowd at tonight?s Bundaberg Test between Australia and New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Australia?s 1957 captain-coach Dick Poole will join team-mates Keith Barnes, George Hawick, Keith Holman, Ken McCaffery, Kel O?Shea, Ray Ritchie, Tom Tyquin and Harry Wells in a tribute celebrating 50 years since the team?s World Cup triumph.

Australia easily won the second World Cup, staged in Sydney and Brisbane, after defeating New Zealand 25-5 and France 26-9, while 58,000 fans packed the Sydney Cricket Ground to watch Australia defeat Great Britain 31-6 in the round-robin tournament.

A post-Cup match between Australia and The Rest Of The World was also held in Sydney, with Australia winning 20-11 in front of 30,00 fans.

?It?s a great honour, particularly the day after a significant World Cup announcement, that so many of the 1957 Kangaroos can be here at Suncorp Stadium to celebrate 50 years since Australia?s first World Cup win,?? ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said today.

?They went in as underdogs, and so many of the players in that side are now household names.

?What?s also significant is the great crowds they played in front of and we again expect great support from fans across the country for next year?s World Cup.?

Titanium_BD1103
20-04-07, 07:11 PM
This should be a great match... only 30 mins away and I can't wait... :D

I am looking forward to seeing the forwards clash... Hindmarsh, Mason, Petero and Kite vs Asotasi, Cayless, Williams and Puletua... should be a great battle.

I am disappointed the forms backs aren't all there, but I am sure the team can do the job on a inexperienced Kiwis side.

I am a looking forward to also seeing how Kristian Inu and Ben Roberts go tonight... although I think the experience of Thurston and Lockyer will be too good for the Kiwis.

I hope both teams can give us a great contest, but for me the Aussies are too strong... Australia by 12... :)

Future Star
20-04-07, 08:29 PM
Kristian Inu is going preety good so far, i think he has a long future in the Black and White...

Casey's Angel27
20-04-07, 09:12 PM
18-0 Aussies leading 54 mins gone

Tries to King, Hindmarsh and Tate
Thurston 3/3 kicks

Steve
20-04-07, 09:20 PM
Both Inu and Roberts have impressed me tonight.
I reckon with a bit of confidence Roberts could easily take on the line himself. Has a decent kick too.

Steelers
20-04-07, 09:44 PM
For an international game, I found that to be quite boring. There were way too many errors, both teams seemed to barely be trying in attack most of the time, and the referee was absolutely shocking! Dead set I don't want to see him referee another international game for a long time. The game was so slow, and some of the calls were atrocious. He missed alot of errors as well.

Titanium_BD1103
20-04-07, 10:17 PM
For an international game, I found that to be quite boring. There were way too many errors, both teams seemed to barely be trying in attack most of the time, and the referee was absolutely shocking! Dead set I don't want to see him referee another international game for a long time. The game was so slow, and some of the calls were atrocious. He missed alot of errors as well.

The ref didn't miss calls as such Steelers... they played by international rules, therefore it was fine for them to run around the back of players, to go and take the ball off each other for poor handling... it was rather annoying watching it because it's not how we play football, but it's the way the game is run internationally... NRL rules are a lot stricter and harsher.

As for the game, I agree, too many errors, too much run around play to create stuff and no real vision until midway through the second half by anyone... I fell asleep for part of it.

In saying that though, I was mighty impressed by Kristian Inu... he looks like a star of the future and the courage he showed tonight after only one game, well it was impressive to say the least. I was pleased to see Benji's game coming back and Roberts was 50/50... he kicked nicely, but he didn't lead his team around the park and didn't provide his forwards with options... and a good halfback does that.

The forwards were solid, the tackles from Vatuvai and Webster early were bone crunching, but as I said before the experience in the end got the better of them.

For the winners, Lockyer once again impressed me... he looked good and dangerous, Thurston was decent but I think tried to let Lockyer dictate the play at times, where as he is good enough to run the play himself and create options for the backline... I was impressed with Tate who did everything right tonight and Hunt got some kudos points from me for his good effort tonight.

The forward pack was solid, with Ryan and Kite the highlights while the rest were good. Overall though, a good win by the Aussies, however one they were always expected to get and one that shouldn't shy away from what was a good performance from an inexperienced Kiwi side.

Tamwelg
20-04-07, 10:18 PM
**FINAL SCORE**

Australia 30

Tries: Hindmarsh, King, Hunt, Lockyer
Goals: Thurston 5/6

Defeat

New Zealand 6

Tries: Vatuvei
Goals: Marshall 1/1

Coaster
20-04-07, 10:22 PM
I agree with Tit-BD about the rules, and i thought the game was good.

I loved the defence in the first 20 minutes, and there was great attacking play by both sides in the last 60.

I really think sometimes we are a victim of our own hand, we bag the hell out of International football and never give it a chance to get to the heights of SOO.

There was a perfect moment tonight where SBW and Mason could have smacked the living hell out of each other, Like Beetson and his team mate so many years ago, and really put Test match footy on the calendar, but both players choose not to, and the supporters no longer want to see that, and the game has drifted away accordingly.

Titanium_BD1103
20-04-07, 10:26 PM
I agree with Tit-BD about the rules, and i thought the game was good.

I loved the defence in the first 20 minutes, and there was great attacking play by both sides in the last 60.

I really think sometimes we are a victim of our own hand, we bag the hell out of International football and never give it a chance to get to the heights of SOO.

There was a perfect moment tonight where SBW and Mason could have smacked the living hell out of each other, Like Beetson and his team mate so many years ago, and really put Test match footy on the calendar, but both players choose not to, and the supporters no longer want to see that, and the game has drifted away accordingly.

That is a good point Coaster... and I have to agree, as much I was glad I didn't see it as it would have seen one of them miss Sunday's match against the Eels and the other battered and bruised... I would have loved to have seen the boys go toe to toe and give a bit of biff... because that is what Trans-Tasman Rivalry is about, forget about the friendships, this is war... and it's why I loved the start... it was fiery... :)

Tamwelg
20-04-07, 10:28 PM
The Bull had a good game, off the bench with 23 Tackles (3rd highest in the Aus Team), 12 Hit Ups (Highest in the Aus Team), with 135 metres gained. He looked to be on cloud niine when he was spoken to after the game. I thought Webster did an alright job for the Kiwis.

Coaster
20-04-07, 10:32 PM
I might get cut down for saying this, but i thought Bailey was the worst Australian player on the field.

He had a high work load but most of those tackles were making up for his own mistakes.

Robbie_Dee
20-04-07, 10:36 PM
Good game Australia! Everyone i think pulled their weight, especially Tate and Hunt! Those 2 were the best on the field, much to my surprise! Thurston and Lockyer were good all night, Thurston with some ripper of some passes! Jamie Lyon looked a bit out of place IMO, he didn't get the ball much, and when he did he was very quite, except his involvement in the Thurston/lyon/king/hunt try down the left hand side

I don't think Brent Kite should have been Prop forward, his runs weren't that aggressive. O'Meley definitely should have been in the side, pushing Kite to bench and Simpson out...

Benji Marshall was playing rather crap. Looks like he is no good without a decent halfback. last year/year before with Scotty Prince he was going fantastic (well excluding his injury time out), as soon as Prince left he hasn't looked too good.

Also, Inu. what can i say? 1 first grade game and he gets selected for NZ, and plays like that! He will dominate in the future thats for sure!

but yea overall a pretty scrappy first half, Australia pulled it together in the 2nd and ended up winning very convincingly. they never really looked like losing, as NZ were just very very poor in attack.

Titanium_BD1103
20-04-07, 10:37 PM
I might get cut down for saying this, but i thought Bailey was the worst Australian player on the field.

He had a high work load but most of those tackles were making up for his own mistakes.

Nope Coaster, once again have to agree with you... as much as I love the Bull, he wasn't on song tonight... worked hard, but wasn't his rampaging best... looked as if he was struggling to find his place at times... and the errors he made were simple ones.

On the other hand though, the same can be said for SBW tonight... worked hard, played well but he also was struggling to find his place... at times he was floating out wide into the centres and at other times he was in the forward pack... when that happens, you aren't going to be on song.

Darren Lockyer
21-04-07, 08:18 AM
And to all the doubters of Karmichael Hunt he got man of the match, so he has silenced all his critics. The key for australia last night was the halves pairing. They were fantastics and worked really well together. I wouldn't mind seeing thurston and Lockyer in the halves for the broncos.lol.

Hoppy2007Dragons
21-04-07, 08:49 AM
A good game, but i didn't think lockyer and thurston went that well, thruston didn't get to play his natural game of running at the line and using his skill, he was throwing passes etc etc.

Also a few of lockyers kicks wern't the usual prseeure kicks he can create a few short ones that, basically just handed the ball to the kiwis.

all in all though a good game and the kiwis should be a force of the future when thier youngsters get mor nrl and test games.

Cowboy Titan
21-04-07, 09:44 AM
And to all the doubters of Karmichael Hunt he got man of the match, so he has silenced all his critics.
Hunt played a good solid game but I don't recall too much spectacular play from him to earn the man of the match award. He scored a try on the back of some good lead up play from others but I actually thought Tate would have been more deserving ofthe man of the match award.

Steve
21-04-07, 10:11 AM
Hunt played a good solid game but I don't recall too much spectacular play from him to earn the man of the match award. He scored a try on the back of some good lead up play from others but I actually thought Tate would have been more deserving ofthe man of the match award.

I'd agree. I actually was a bit surprised Tate made the side, but I gotta admit he did play well.
Hunt was nothing special, I was surprised when they announced he was man of the match.

I have to agree with the poster who said it was a boring game. I'm glad I didn't end up going, which is unusual for me!

In the end I didn't think anyone from the Australian team played particularly well, just the Kiwis were worse. If they'd managed to hold onto the ball a bit more, it may have been a contest. It's a pity they had so many missing through injury and super league. Hopefully the world cup they'll give a better showing.
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Inu!

Steelers
21-04-07, 02:04 PM
I am a critic of Karmichael Hunt, and I haven't been silenced. He played an OK game, but that was because Lockyer constantly set him up. Hunt isn't capable of doing much without him, except for the odd moment where the commentators overreact to his apparent 'brilliance'.

TITANS007
21-04-07, 03:21 PM

DITTO, I totally agree with you there. Someone else mentioned that the selectors were the one to pick MOM and maybe they picked him to justify the selection, not a bad thought

Darren Lockyer
21-04-07, 08:36 PM
I am a critic of Karmichael Hunt, and I haven't been silenced. He played an OK game, but that was because Lockyer constantly set him up. Hunt isn't capable of doing much without him, except for the odd moment where the commentators overreact to his apparent 'brilliance'.

and that's why he got selected in the side instead of Matt Bowen

Grimmace
21-04-07, 08:54 PM
and that's why he got selected in the side instead of Matt Bowen

He got selected because he has a combination with lockyer (and Loylaty). If it was on form theres no way he wouldve even got a mention let alone selection in the Australian side.

Moving on Bowen should have been picked in the first place he has that combination with thurston, is in far better form and bring his own Bowen Magic. (something im yet to see from hunt this season).

If i was a QLD selector id be saying vote 1 for Bowen, because he deserves it.

Chaos
21-04-07, 10:42 PM
He got selected because he has a combination with lockyer (and Loylaty). If it was on form theres no way he wouldve even got a mention let alone selection in the Australian side.

Moving on Bowen should have been picked in the first place he has that combination with thurston, is in far better form and bring his own Bowen Magic. (something im yet to see from hunt this season).

If i was a QLD selector id be saying vote 1 for Bowen, because he deserves it.

Hunt gets choosen in rep sides because he a great reader of the game, watch how quickly he receives the ball from a general kick.
He has great ball skills which he uses after a Lockyer pass.
He is very safe under the bomb.
He has plenty of 'ticker'...something needed when playing in big games.

Nobody has the flair of Mat Bowen but he will get targeted if he plays fullback against NSW.

Go_The_Doggies
22-04-07, 12:23 PM
Well.

My boys did great!! The scoreline doesnt reflect how close the game was.

Krisnan Inu, omg, how amazing was this kid!! I<3him.

Sammy Rapira lead an awesome haka, I was in complete shock when I heard the commentator say he was going to lead it, didn't expect him to get handed that on his debut, but he nailed it. <3

Robbie_Dee
22-04-07, 02:17 PM
Well.

My boys did great!! The scoreline doesnt reflect how close the game was.come again? close? NZ didn't stand a chance! Australia ran all over em!