PDA

View Full Version : Round 6: Manly Sea Eagles v Gold Coast Titans

DIEHARD
14-04-07, 05:22 PM
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Gold Coast Titans
2pm, Sunday the 22nd of April @ Brookvale Oval.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx11944.jpg V http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg

Referee: T Archer

Team Notes:

Sea Eagles

Coach Des Hasler has stuck with the team that has remain undefeated this season
Titans

Gone from the team that defeated the Bronco's last Friday are prop Michael Henderson (fractured tibia - season) and lock forward Luke Swain (suspended - two weeks). Brad Myers finds himself promoted from the bench to starting prop in the wake of Henderson's injury, and centre Josh Graham has been shuffled to lock for Swain. 18th man Mat Rogers now comes into the centres, with Michael Hodgson added to the bench.
Teams:

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx6622.gif

Brett Stewart
Michael Robertson
Steve Bell
Jamie Lyon
Chris Hicks
Travis Burns
Michael Monaghan
Jason King
Matt Ballin
Brent Kite ?
Anthony Watmough
Glenn Stewart
Luke Williamson
Interchange:

Clint Halden
Glenn Hall
George Rose
Mark Bryant

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx15325.gif

1. Preston Campbell
2. Lelea Paea
3. Matt Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Josh Graham

Interchange:
14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Nathan Friend

Please note an eighteenth man will be added to the travelling party.

***Please use this thread for game day spoiles and general match information***

Coaster
14-04-07, 11:12 PM
Manly won tonight, which is a good thing, we may catch them with there guard down.

Also i hope Orford returns for them, it may just throw another spanner in there works, we will need every bit of luck we can get in this one, they are on fire.

There defence is outstanding at the moment, so prince's kicking game will be ultra important. And i think we will need to restrict there scoring to under 18 points.

This is a big test at Brooky against an undefeated side.

patskE
15-04-07, 02:05 AM
tbh watching manly that havnt been convicing
just shutdown there fb n put pressure on their kicking game n we should be sweet
i rkn we will get up n cause an upset
going try get to manly for the game with a few m8's if they come ahah
missed the bulldogs game
so dont really wanna miss this

DIEHARD
15-04-07, 04:16 PM
missed the bulldogs game
so dont really wanna miss this

Mate grab a GA ticket and come join us in the north east corner with the Legion.

More info @ http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=181497#post181497

Robbie_Dee
15-04-07, 05:08 PM
This will be a tougher game that's for sure! I'm not expecting a win, it would be nice, but I would just rather no injuries, and a solid game. But you never know, Titans were awesome against Broncos, so I'm not going to write us off completely!!!

Coaster
15-04-07, 05:18 PM
We need luck, thats for sure

As i said before, Orford back in the side, might help us, even though he is an awesome player.
Kite and Lyons should be picked for Australia, that also should help us.
Them being undefeated may go in our favor.

There is no reason we cannot beat them, but it is a another big test, but then again so is the week after and the one after that and the ....

patskE
16-04-07, 12:35 AM
ahaha kk
mind u havnt got any titans gear as yet
waiting till i save some dosh 1st
see ya there
got a m8 to come with me aswell :D

SuperCliffy#01
16-04-07, 11:28 AM
I am going to the game, but i am going in my full Manly get up, but i still wanna hang with the Titans cheer squad, would anyone object to that.

qld power
16-04-07, 03:02 PM
I am going to the game, but i am going in my full Manly get up, but i still wanna hang with the Titans cheer squad, would anyone object to that.
shehs i would why would u want a manly supporter with titans supporter wearing the oppostions colours

Dakink
16-04-07, 03:05 PM
A massive test here for the boys - Will show how there attitude is.

patskE
16-04-07, 06:00 PM
i rkn we will get up

hugebrianfan
16-04-07, 06:44 PM
without a doubt it'll be a tough game for thje titans. Manly are doing a good job, they are still undefeated and on the top of the ladder. Whether this'll last i dont know!

SuperCliffy#01
17-04-07, 01:06 PM
Due to circumstances beyond my control i am unable to come to the game.cya.

patskE
17-04-07, 01:13 PM
the lineup taken from titans homepage
1. Preston Campbell
2. Lelea Paea
3. Matt Rogers
4. Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Josh Graham

Interchange:

14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Nathan Friend

TITAN FOREVER
17-04-07, 07:22 PM
Looks good.:)

TITAN PETE
17-04-07, 07:37 PM
No body has given us a chance in the past 2 weeks(apart from the loyal) but Manly will know they have a game on their hands & we have the players 2 test the "Best Defence" in the comp.

patskE
17-04-07, 08:55 PM
no one has givien us a chance since 1st round vs dragons when it was even betting

word has it orford might make a return

Queenslander
18-04-07, 12:18 PM
Teams are up on the first post, enjoy! :)

patskE
18-04-07, 01:10 PM
cant wait
think iam getting a few of my m8s to come with me
going convert em seeing there dragons arent going to well ahah

Grimmace
19-04-07, 07:14 PM
I was going to be at this game yay but unfortunately things have come up which im a little dissapointed in.

I think its time manly lost a game so ill tip the GC by 6

Hoppy2007Dragons
19-04-07, 07:59 PM
I think manly will be too strong.

Bailey backing up and the loss of henderson an swain, takes a bit from the petrol tank and from the sting in the pack.

Also Monagahn has been on fire, so if orford does come back you have 3 key playmakers to worry about, burns at 5/8 orford at half and mongahan at hooker.

Lyon may be the weakness though trying to back up from the test.

Still i reckon it will be close manly by 8.

Future Star
20-04-07, 10:16 AM
Manly 1-12, they've just been to good this season.

patskE
20-04-07, 12:23 PM
man were u guys faith?
just casue we are underdogs dont mean we wont get up
we been underdogs for all our games
watching manly every game, they arent that good... the other teams just choked it
if prince steps up we got this shizzle!

squirrell
20-04-07, 02:54 PM
I agree,everyone tipped panthers to beat us,then they all tipped broncos,now theyre all tipping manly,dont the pundits realise that everything comes in 3's??Carty has a game plan,its clearly working and we can beat manly if the players dont choke if they're behind early.Were very fit and we can run them over in the last 15.TITANS by 6.

Steve
20-04-07, 03:08 PM
It's not going to be an easy game, but definitely winnable!

Both defences are top notch, we probably have a couple kinks to iron yet in that, but i'm confident it'll improve. We're solid most of the game, but a few lapses in concentration let us down.

I think all up, the forwards are pretty evenly matched. Both full of workhorses who get the job done. Both teams have in form half and fullbacks.

Could be a lot closer than most people think. :D

TITAN FOREVER
20-04-07, 06:04 PM
Titans by a whisker. :)

Future Star
20-04-07, 08:47 PM
Nice to see you guys a optimistic :)

But, the Titans wont beat them... Sorry :)

Steelers
20-04-07, 09:47 PM
I tipped Manly, but there is no reason why the Titans can't win this one. If they play to their best, which they have done lately, then this game will go down to the wire.

patskE
22-04-07, 02:20 AM
going
prob be there around 12ish bit after
shall be good game

Grimmace
22-04-07, 02:16 PM
5 minutes into the game and Manly lead 12-0

Robbie_Dee
22-04-07, 02:19 PM
5 minutes into the game and Manly lead 12-0is that a joke? surely you can't be serious!

Grimmace
22-04-07, 02:27 PM
No im not Brett stewart has scored two tries

Grimmace
22-04-07, 02:46 PM
34 minutes Manly now lead 18-0 thanks to a Chris Hicks try

Edit: Half Time Manly Sea Eagles 18, GC Titans 0

Gee
22-04-07, 02:54 PM
How many tries is Paea going to let in before Carty gets rid of him? He is useless, his defence down the right side is **** and he can't even turn and chase a kick. He has played **** in eery game he has played so far in the season.

Steve
22-04-07, 02:57 PM
Not a good start at all.
And stuffing up whenever in position to score isn't going to help against the Manly defence. We need to capitalise on every chance.

I can't see things getting any better in the second half, we just haven't had the ball.

Tackles
Anthony Laffranchi 23
Clint Amos 18
Luke Bailey 17
Brett Delaney 15
Brad Meyers 15

They don't even have 1 player in the top 5 tackles.
If we run out of juice, it could be a hiding.

Steelers
22-04-07, 02:59 PM
No im not Brett stewart has scored two tries

A game at Brookie, doesn't surprise me that he has scored two tries so far :p

bigjim
22-04-07, 03:08 PM
How many tries is Paea going to let in before Carty gets rid of him? He is useless, his defence down the right side is **** and he can't even turn and chase a kick. He has played **** in eery game he has played so far in the season.

Must agree with the fact Manly definitely see weakness on the left, keep going that way.

Mind you, rest of the team look a bit pedestrian at the moment as well.

Second half will see a huge improvement.

Now that we have them overconfident they have fallen into the Titan's trap. Give Manly a huge shock.

Robbie_Dee
22-04-07, 03:19 PM
Hilder in Presto Converts 18-6 after 50 minutes

Steve
22-04-07, 03:44 PM
Any chance of a come back shot down by Archer.
He'll be bought a few beers by the Manly players after that.

Boofhead
22-04-07, 03:49 PM
Much better second half, the boys did well to hang on after the Brett Stewart fest in the first couple of mins. I'm still spewin over the mistakes we made at crucial points in their half.

Oh well. Got my tip right. :P

Titanium_BD1103
22-04-07, 03:57 PM
Oh well a bad game had to happen sooner or later.

Not a great game, but at Brookie it is always tough... the boys played better in the second half but the side of defense Paea was on was too compacted in the first half and the Manly boys just ran around the outside.

They will bounce back, and once I have seen the game on replay as I was watching V8's... I will comment more... but keep the faith Titans fans.... :)

Robbie_Dee
22-04-07, 04:01 PM
**FULLTIME**

Manly - 20
Tries: Stewert 2, Hicks
Goals: Lyon 4/4

Titans - 6
Tries: Hilder
Goals: Campbell 1/1

Des
22-04-07, 04:20 PM
bugger!

patskE
22-04-07, 06:18 PM
time to move campbell to 5/8!

Coaster
22-04-07, 06:38 PM
In my opinion:

Cooper needs to cut that crap off the back of his head, if he is not going to act like a footballer, he can bloody well look like one.

TITAN FOREVER
22-04-07, 07:10 PM
Cooper needs to cut that crap off the back of his head

Totally agree, makes him look more a goose when he drops the ball. I feel like pulling that bloody thing hard ( hair that is)when he makes mistakes.

Cliffy GC
22-04-07, 07:42 PM
Thank god that is over

glad the eags won it and i would never support them over any other side but have a massive soft spot for the Titans.

Was very impressed with the fight they showed in the second half.

Any other side in the NRL and they would have scored 2 - 3 trys in the second half but the eagles D was just too strong as it has been all year.

TITAN PETE
22-04-07, 08:07 PM
The game was lost in the 1st half but it was a good 2nd half they just happened to be playing a deadset brick wall defense but there was plenty to like about the Titans effort, Meyers will be a great replacement for Hendo & Rogers looked much better & keeps improving everyweek.
Very happy with the 2nd half after all we did win it 6-2 :) .

patskE
23-04-07, 12:40 AM
1st 5 mins killed us
time for hilder to move possie i say

Tamwelg
23-04-07, 06:47 AM

Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again, he makes poor defensive decisions. Yes he can tackle, but his decisions are the problem.

patskE
23-04-07, 04:49 PM
peterson should be in next week i say

dan the man
23-04-07, 05:35 PM
tell me something does brett delaney defend in 2nd row because he made a massive 35 tackles and topped it off with i think 17 hit ups.. impressive work rate...

jenny
24-04-07, 07:38 AM
Titans cop $5000 fine over video ref incident

Luke Turgeon
24Apr07

THE GOLD Coast Titans will cop a $5000 fine 'on the chin' after coach John Cartwright illegally approached National Rugby League video referee Steve Nash to question an obstruction ruling during Sunday's 20-6 loss to Manly at Brookvale.

NRL rules state that: "Under no circumstances are match officials to be approached, questioned or harassed in any way by club officials either during or after a match."

Cartwright knew that he was not supposed to talk to match officials.

"I can understand his frustration but at the end of the day we will probably cop the fine and the rap on the knuckles," said managing director Michael Searle.

"You do the crime, you pay the fine. It is pretty cut and dried.

"We all acknowledge that there was a mistake made."

Cartwright went up to Nash in a hallway at half-time to question Manly's opening try, one and a half minutes into the match, which he believed should have been disallowed because of an obstruction. Nash made a complaint to ground manager Mick Levett, who filed a report to NRL chief operations manager Graham Annesley.

Annesley yesterday issued the Titans with a breach notice and fine.

The controversial try saw Manly skipper Matt Orford appear to run behind backrower Glenn Stewart before kicking through for Brett Stewart to score in the corner.

It put the Titans on the back foot for the entire match.

"I think it was just frustration," said Searle. "You have to understand the ruling that was made was in direct contrast to what Carty had been told by (referees boss) Robert Finch. It doesn't get more opposite to the ruling that was made and what he was told.

"But that is no excuse and we put our hand up this morning at 8.30 to Graham Annesley saying we would cop it on the chin and had done the wrong thing."

The Titans have five working days to officially respond to the breach notice.

Searle said he was not disappointed in Cartwright for knowingly breaking the rules.

"This whole obstruction rule has just become a bit of a debacle," said Searle.

"He (Cartwright) is a passionate man and he always wears his heart on his sleeve and he was frustrated. You have to take into account that it was 38 minutes after the incident so that just proves how frustrated he was."

Annesley was quick to point out Cartwright had not abused Nash in any way.

"While there is no suggestion of abuse in this case, there are clear rules in relation to these areas and it is important that they are enforced," he said.

Cartwright said he would put the off-field drama behind him and concentrate on fixing the problems on the field in time for Sunday's clash with Parramatta at Carrara.

"I was very happy with the effort," said Cartwright.

"If you take that first 10 minutes out of the game I thought territorially we were the better side.

"We probably played a bit dumb on occasions playing catch-up footy, which is hard to do playing against a side that is undefeated and at their home ground."
GOLD COAST BULLETIN

jenny
24-04-07, 07:46 AM
Cartwright still fuming

April 24, 2007 12:00am

TITANS coach John Cartwright yesterday spoke his mind to referees' coach Robert Finch before being slapped with a $5000 fine for entering the video ref's box during Sunday's 14-point loss to Manly.
The Gold Coast coach has landed in hot water for going into the officials' box at Brookvale Oval, seeking an explanation from fourth official Steve Nash on the contentious "no obstruction" ruling preceding Brett Stewart's opening try at Brookvale Oval.

A flustered Cartwright yesterday resumed the fight, engaging in a lengthy discussion with Finch and relaying his frustration at the ruling.

The development comes after he angrily declared on Sunday: "I mustn't know the rules."

"I just clarified a few things for him," Finch said. "This new interpretation is confusing everyone. The referee must adjudicate whether there is advantage, and it's a grey area and has been since 1908.

"The interpretation this year is that a player cannot run behind a decoy runner and gain an advantage. There doesn't need to be contact.

"We try to make things black and white, but unfortunately it tends to make them more grey."

Cartwright insists no malice or swearing were involved in his mid-match questioning, but the NRL nonetheless reacted sharply to the indiscretion, issuing the Gold Coast coach with the $5000 breach notice.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle, football manager Scott Sattler and Cartwright, all unavailable for comment yesterday, have five days to respond.

"There's no suggestion of any abuse in this case but our rules are very clear, that match officials can't be approached or questioned in any way either during or after games," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

"On that basis we need to send a clear message to clubs that this sort of approach is unacceptable.

"They (referees) can't feel as though they're being intimidated in any way.

"They've got to be left to get on with their job."

Cartwright's conversation with Finch yesterday prompted the NRL to table a press release with "key indicators" that attempt to clarify an increasingly muddled rule.

Manly pivot Travis Burns faces a two-week ban after being charged with a grade-one dangerous throw for a lifting tackle on Titans centre Brett Delaney.
Article from: The Courier-Mail