PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: Players predict series success

DeeGan
09-11-05, 10:52 AM
Players predict series success
By Dean Ritchie in Paris
November 9, 2005

SHOCKED Australia players last night defiantly predicted the Kangaroos would still triumph in England as Sydney Roosters star Craig Wing was drafted into the squad to cover for the loss of captain Darren Lockyer.

The Kangaroos' Tri-Nations campaign was hit hard by the double blow of losing playmaker Lockyer and key forward Nathan Hindmarsh for the rest of the tournament.

Lockyer will not play or train for two to three months after fracturing a bone in his left foot during training in Paris, where the Kangaroos are preparing for the Test against France at Aime Giral Stadium, Perpignan, on Sunday morning (AEDT).

But Australia's misfortune didn't end with Lockyer. Only seconds after he was injured, second rower Nathan Hindmarsh began limping and knew straight away his knee was "shot".

Hindmarsh has severe bruising to his troublesome knee and is expected to fly home from the tour although he won't be replaced while Lockyer will stay with the squad.

Wing, who is on holiday in Hawaii, will fly to the US and then France.

The expected reshuffle of the Test team for the Tri-Nations will see Trent Barrett move into five-eighth, assuming he overcomes a foot injury, and Craig Gower will become the new utility bench player.

Wing is a chance of playing in the Test against France in a bid to give him some match fitness in case he is needed for the Tri-Nations matches.

The Kangaroos were last night trying to remain upbeat and refusing to accept the loss of Lockyer and Hindmarsh could cripple the remainder of their campaign.

"It is a huge blow but we won't be putting a line through our chances - we won't be packing up and going home," second rower Craig Fitzgibbon said.

"Darren is among the top couple of players in the world but it's handy having a guy like Trent Barrett there and also Craig Gower."

Barrett, also carrying a worrying foot injury, said: "We've still got the players to win it. This won't alter the way we play too much."

Australia's players and officials were stunned to have lost key players within 60 seconds yesterday.

First, Lockyer went down and was immediately attended to by team doctor Hugh Hazard. Seconds later, Hindmarsh broke down.

Hooker Danny Buderus has been confirmed as the new Test skipper.

Coach Wayne Bennett said it was up to the other players in the squad to step up in the wake of the injury setbacks.

"We lost Andrew Johns and we'd love him here. We've now lost Darren and we'd love him here, too. But someone else will see it as an opportunity," Bennett said.

A downcast Lockyer said of his injury: "It's very disappointing. I was looking forward to helping Australia win in the Tri-Nations. But I'm sure the guys can still kick on without me and win the tournament."

New Zealand, the team Australia will almost certainly meet in the final, must now fancy its chances.

Lockyer was to be rested from the France Test but Hindmarsh was ready to play.

"It's unfortunate two senior guys have picked up serious injuries," Test prop Petero Civoniceva said.

"It is not the thing you want leading into the back-end of the Tri-Nations series."

Hindmarsh, trying to cope again with the injury that kept him out of Parramatta's finals campaign, said: "It doesn't look too good for me.

"They think the bruising is quite severe. It's not in a good way."

Lockyer had an MRI scan in a Paris hospital yesterday but will not require surgery.

The Daily Telegraph

Darren Lockyer is a great, great player, though his injury changes nothing with the bookies who will have us as favourites (and should do) to win the series.

GB apparently are selling the talent of Trent Barrett a little short, bad news for them. I am sure the NZ team will not be so naive ;)

DeeGan

Teegy
09-11-05, 10:53 AM
Barrett may even perform better than locky as he has his Dragons combo of Coops and Gaz

Dakink
09-11-05, 10:58 AM
MMM They need to show anyone in the Aus team a little more respect. Players dont play tests or have cracker SOO's without a little talent.

DeeGan
09-11-05, 11:00 AM
Agree in many respects Teegy, Barrett comes straight in to the side with a solid understanding on how to best get the ball to the lethal Cooper/Gasnier combination.

We will be just fine thank you very much :)

DeeGan

Teegy
09-11-05, 11:02 AM
I could see this next game turning out to be a flogging if GB don't respect our players

Steelers
09-11-05, 04:04 PM
I am absolutely salivating over the prospect of Barrett getting the ball out to Gaz and Coops :p Obviously most GB fans don't watch the NRL :p

[BroncosGirl]
09-11-05, 04:08 PM
Pity about Lockyer, but yes Barrett is very capable, and will be able to find Cooper and Gasnier easier, and set up some more tries and plays for them :D