PDA

View Full Version : Round 5: Gold Coast Titans v Brisbane Broncos

DIEHARD
10-04-07, 01:36 PM
Gold Coast Titans Vs Brisbane Broncos
Friday 13th April, 7.30 pm; Suncorp Stadium

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx13933.jpg v http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx11419.jpg

TICKETS -> http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=TITANIND07&searchId=1278b04c-3c8b-47ec-aa3d-a174ecea8ae0

Referee:

Match Notes:

- Gold Coast teams have never won at Lang Park. (Five games, five losses.)
- Brisbane have lost 5 from their last 6 at Lang Park.
- The Titans have a superior defensive record over the first 4 rounds.
- Brisbane have lead at half time only once this year. (Roosters.)
- Gold Coast sit above Brisbane on the NRL table.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx15325.gif

1. Preston Campbell
2. Lelea Paea
3. Brett Delaney
4. Josh Graham
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange

14. Kris Kahler
15. Brad Meyers
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Nathan Friend

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx6618.gif

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Steve Michaels
3. Tonie Carroll
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Shane Perry
8. Dane Carlaw
9. Shaun Berrigan
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Brad Thorn
13. Greg Eastwood

Interchange

14. Nick Kenny
15. Ben Hannant
16. Ian Lacey
17. Mick Ennis
18. David Stagg

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information***

DIEHARD
10-04-07, 01:38 PM
Reports that 25k are sold as of yesterday.

Here is a latest peak at ticketek.

gold Alloc. Exhausted
steel Single seats only
blue Single seats only
blue unlic Single seats only
white Available
white unlic Available
away team supp blue Available
away team supp white Available
gold restrict view Alloc. Exhausted
steel restrict view Alloc. Exhausted
blue restrict view Alloc. Exhausted
white restrict view Alloc. Exhausted

I'm surprised that the AWAY (Broncos) supporter bays are free. I guess Brisbane fans aren't used to filling AWAY supporter bays, especially at their usual home ground.

Steelers
10-04-07, 02:48 PM
I'm surprised that the AWAY (Broncos) supporter bays are free. I guess Brisbane fans aren't used to filling AWAY supporter bays, especially at their usual home ground.

I am surprised that they are even bothering with away supporter bays. There will be alot more than 2 sections of Broncos supporters at the ground. Away supporters bays are usually so that the minority of supporters can be bunched together, instead of diluted throughout the crowd.

Cowboy Titan
10-04-07, 02:59 PM
Team vs Broncos

1. Preston Campbell
2. Lelea Paea
3. Brett Delaney
4. Josh Graham
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

14. Kris Kahler
15. Brad Meyers
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Nathan Friend

Coach: John Cartwright

DIEHARD
10-04-07, 03:01 PM
Yea but don't think quantity, think quality of fans.

The fans in the AWAY bay, would be some of the most ardent. Should be colourful and vocal. Lots of flags and banners.

I think the BHQ crew at sitting there....not sure.

DIEHARD
10-04-07, 03:15 PM
Team vs Broncos

1. Preston Campbell
2. Lelea Paea
3. Brett Delaney
4. Josh Graham
5. Jake Webster
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Michael Henderson
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

14. Kris Kahler
15. Brad Meyers
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Nathan Friend

Coach: John Cartwright

There is also this....

A yet to be named eighteenth reserve will travel to Brisbane with the side.

I wonder who the 18th man might be....

Smithy
10-04-07, 03:18 PM
I just bought some tickets for me and my kids and was told I got the last ground level seats in the white area in the Southern end. Northern sold out. It's up in the nose bleed section if you want to see it now.
Best thing is, this is a Titans home game and we get our share of the gate takings. Let all the Bronco's fans who want to come, come.

Coaster
10-04-07, 03:24 PM
Hopefully that 18th man is Walker

There is nothing wrong with that side, i like Webster on the wing, if we can get Walker on the other side, will open a few more scoring chances.

Good starting forwards with Friend to make an impact again.

DIEHARD
10-04-07, 04:04 PM
I just bought some tickets for me and my kids and was told I got the last ground level seats in the white area in the Southern end. Northern sold out. It's up in the nose bleed section if you want to see it now.

Yea that is promising news. I think they did a good days trade on the tickets today.

patskE
10-04-07, 04:34 PM
maybe mathers

Steve
10-04-07, 04:50 PM
Walker was hopeful of a comeback agains the Panthers, so he could be a surprise inclusion.
And one I won't be complaining about!

Chelle79
11-04-07, 07:39 AM
So where is everyone sitting for this game. We are in section 121 from memory

DIEHARD
11-04-07, 03:11 PM
Will the Broncos be wearing their away jersey?

I hope not, I don't believe they should have worn their away jersey in last years grand final.

I believe measures should be taken to between the clubs and the NRL that the Titans and Broncos wear their home jerseys in future clashes.

I want to see skyblue gold and white vs maroon gold and white.

Have a look at the cover of the RLW this week, it was a shame they choose a picture of Civ wearing the away jersey, that cover would have been all the more captivating and meaningful had they chosen a picture of him wearing the Broncos home jersey. Besides Broncos away would clash more with our home more than their actual home jersey.

But luckily our away jersey bubbles with Titaness. With the blue shorts meeting up with the blue jersey trim.

But I want to see a trend of primary and alternate jerseys not home and away.

Steve
11-04-07, 03:41 PM
So where is everyone sitting for this game. We are in section 121 from memory

320 or 319 or something I think.

And I agree, Diehard.
I understand the need for away jerseys, but away teams shouldn't HAVE to wear them unless they clash with the home team jersey.
Personally, I rather like our away!

Poida
11-04-07, 03:58 PM
Titans by 7 :)
Cowboys done them by 7 so Titans can do it too :)

shavenjas
11-04-07, 04:24 PM
Well i have to say it GO THE BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look out Titans big brother is going to get you:). It should be a great close match good luck to both teams but my loyalty it first with the Broncs then the Titans so i hope Brisbane win by 1 point. I will be blunt here, Cartwright must realy like Paea i can't belive he has kept his wing Spot, i even thought my favorite player Matt Petersen should of got the wing spot instead of him.
Good luck to both sides Fri night can't wait for this one.

Darren Lockyer
11-04-07, 05:22 PM
I think with the return of Tonie Carroll the broncos will have the sting over the titans. The Key match up is whoever is marking Justin Hodges because there going to need all the help they can. The titans are very good in defense but with players like Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Shaun Berrigan, Petro running at them it will test them a lot. I think if Friend and Amos can cause havoc out of dummy half and ware down the broncos bigger forwards then the game could swing there way. It will be an interesting game and should be interesting to see who comes out with the 2 points. Broncos by 14 points with either Hodges or myself to be man of the match.

Darren Lockyer
11-04-07, 05:24 PM
Well i have to say it GO THE BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look out Titans big brother is going to get you:). It should be a great close match good luck to both teams but my loyalty it first with the Broncs then the Titans so i hope Brisbane win by 1 point. I will be blunt here, Cartwright must realy like Paea i can't belive he has kept his wing Spot, i even thought my favorite player Matt Petersen should of got the wing spot instead of him.
Good luck to both sides Fri night can't wait for this one.

I agree whereas Paea hasn't done anything wrong he hasn't done anything spectacular.
I heard that peterson has an neck injury. Rogers hasn't returned yet so that leaves the wingspot open for Jake Webster after strong performances from Delaney and Graham

DIEHARD
11-04-07, 10:11 PM
Ticket update as of 10pm 11th of April.

Availability:
gold Alloc. Exhausted
steel Available
blue Single seats only
blue unlic Single seats only
white Available
white unlic Limited seats only
away team supp blue Available
away team supp white Single seats only
gold restrict view Alloc. Exhausted
steel restrict view Alloc. Exhausted
blue restrict view Alloc. Exhausted
white restrict view Alloc. Exhausted

Steelers
11-04-07, 10:53 PM
I find those remaining seat statistics amusing. The restricted viewing seats have sold out before some of the other allocations... WTF? LOL

DIEHARD
11-04-07, 10:56 PM
I find those remaining seat statistics amusing. The restricted viewing seats have sold out before some of the other allocations... WTF? LOL

Maybe because there are fewer tickets in those areas.

Steelers
11-04-07, 11:04 PM
Maybe because there are fewer tickets in those areas.

I still don't get it though. Why would you buy a restricted viewing seat when there are still tickets available where you can see everything?

Hoppy2007Dragons
11-04-07, 11:09 PM
the size of the party, we bought obscured tickets for origin last year because there was 8 of us(2 groups of 4) and if we went to other areas we would be sitting in pairs or byoursleves or with people between us.

I would dare say thats the major issue getting seats together, when there are only single or couple seats left in certain areas.

Robbie_Dee
12-04-07, 09:50 AM
At Lang park, where exactly are the restricted viewing seats anyway?

Hoppy2007Dragons
12-04-07, 10:11 AM
Well i'm not sure where they all are, but the ones for origin were right up the back next to the stairs that lead up, so we had the handrails and stairs blocking certain angles.

TITAN PETE
12-04-07, 11:38 AM
At Lang park, where exactly are the restricted viewing seats anyway?

Would have to be in the dressing rooms.

Darren Lockyer
12-04-07, 11:39 AM
Would have to be in the dressing rooms.

lol no there the ones right at the back top corners

Cowboy Titan
12-04-07, 12:06 PM
The top couple of rows at the back of the northern stand have the huge beam blocking the view of the screen. I had 10 seats there for the first origin game once the stadium re-opened. I had to pay full price back then.

Boofhead
12-04-07, 03:00 PM
2. Steve Michaels
3. Tonie Carroll
4. Justin Hodges

Wait... What? Since when has Carroll played centers?

Boyd dropped, poor kid didn't see any ball last week.

Boofhead
12-04-07, 03:02 PM
The fans in the AWAY bay, would be some of the most ardent. Should be colourful and vocal. Lots of flags and banners.

I think the BHQ crew at sitting there....not sure.

Just looks for the little Blue line in this sea of maroon, it will be me and a couple of my mates! :P

DIEHARD
12-04-07, 03:44 PM
Just looks for the little Blue line in this sea of maroon, it will be me and a couple of my mates! :P

Hahaha champion. I reckon we will see ALOT of blue and gold there. All our members and fans will be decked out. Broncos fans aren't overwhelming maroon either.

So we just need to be louder than them!

Poida
12-04-07, 03:54 PM
Wait... What? Since when has Carroll played centers?

Boyd dropped, poor kid didn't see any ball last week.

He has played in the centres plenty of times.
Not sure why though.

DIEHARD
12-04-07, 04:01 PM
Any one got a copy of the curtain raisers?

Doesn't seem to be any Queensland Cup matches.

DIEHARD
12-04-07, 04:36 PM
Now Berrigan seems to be doubt?

DIEHARD
12-04-07, 05:11 PM
Broncos estranged at Suncorp

BRISBANE Broncos coach Wayne Bennett and his troops have been banished to the team bus to travel to their own home soil tomorrow night.

The Gold Coast Titans, awaiting the completion of their stadium at Robina, have the home-ground rights for the round-five clash at Suncorp Stadium.

As a result the National Rugby League's newest franchise retains the rights to the home-ground change rooms, corporate and season-ticketholder facilities and the coveted undercover car parking within the bowels of the 43,000-seat stadium.

For the first time in more than a decade, Bennett's men will run on to their beloved home turf as foreigners.

"It's going to be fairly strange, that's for sure," hooker Shaun Berrigan said this week.

"I'm not sure if we get a car park any more. Being the away team we have to catch the bus there."

Berrigan's prediction is spot on. With the invading Titans due to take over "the Cauldron", the "visiting" Broncos will catch a team bus from their Red Hill base tomorrow afternoon -- assemble in the away sheds and take to the field in the team's predominantly white away strip.

It will also be the first time the Broncos surrender their home dressing rooms, which had a plush refit in 2003.

Source: FOXSPORTS

Queenslander
12-04-07, 05:14 PM
I heard one of the funniest Wayne Bennett quips today on the radio......When talking about being the away team Bennett said "Well thats good cause our home record isn't good this year"

:D

Coaster
12-04-07, 05:20 PM
This will be a blockbuster, Titans hired the Stadium, so that means we get all the frills, carpark ect.

But it will annoy the Broncos a bit, and them traveling together on a bus, will give them a SOO type feel.

My brother said to me today, that we should just give them the carparks, but why?
We are not Broncos little brother, we are the Titans, and we need to stand tall tommorow night and prove to the whole of Queensland we wont be pushed away.

Our boys better be up for this, this is not just another game, this is the day the titans take there place beside the Broncos as a NRL force.

I dont care if we dont win, i just hope all players(both sides) get out without injuries, and its a game to be proud of.

Robbie_Dee
12-04-07, 05:26 PM
I heard one of the funniest Wayne Bennett quips today on the radio......When talking about being the away team Bennett said "Well thats good cause our home record isn't good this year"

:DHAHAHAHAHA now That is GOLD! Good old Wayne!

DIEHARD
12-04-07, 05:45 PM
I agree this isn't just another game. It has huge significance.

It is like an NRL Semi Final. And the Broncos are used to pressure.

Who knows what will happen tomorrow. We can't let ourselves be sucked into the hype, but our boys need to put EVERYTHING into this match.

MonaroMan
12-04-07, 06:05 PM
My thoughts on the Broncos team - glad to see Boyd dropped, he was doing nothing constructive on the wing and just letting the team down with silly mistakes.

Also good to see Tate on the wing, he has needed to move to wing for a long time. He needs to know how to pass the ball if he wants to play centre.

I would probably swap Eastwood and Carroll around, other than that, its a great team.

Broncos by 13+ ;)

Steve
12-04-07, 06:14 PM
Definitely a big game. Only the white section isn't into the nose bleed section yet, and the blues look close to selling out. So going to be a huge crowd.

The game could easily go either way.
If we're a try or two up at half time, the Broncos supporters will make about as much noise as a graveyard on the moon, and we can really cheer the lads home.

Steelers
12-04-07, 06:36 PM
Shame to read that the Broncos are going to be wearing their atrocious away jerseys. Just like DIEHARD has said before, seeing the maroon against the blue would have been an awesome sight.

Cowboy Titan
12-04-07, 10:00 PM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/sport/six-broncos-for-test-bennett/2007/04/12/1175971245976.html

However, the Broncos coach was in a light-hearted mood today as he pondered the unusual prospect of busing to Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night and preparing for the game out of the visitor's dressing room after the Titans claimed home facilities and car parking rights.

The Titans, who may rush dual international Mat Rogers back into the side for a match where the crowd is tipped to top 45,000 for the first clash between the two rivals.

"I'm happy we're playing away from home, we haven't had a lot of luck at home this year," said Bennett.

"It'll be nice playing away and having the crowd cheering you."

Hooker Shaun Berrigan (hip) took little part in training this morning, leaving the session early but is expected to play.

"He's a got a strain in his lower back but he'll play. It was more precautionary than anything else," said Bennett.

"I'll make a decision on our bench tomorrow morning after I make sure Berro (Berrigan) is right."

After careless performances against North Queensland and Penrith before easily beating the Roosters last weekend Bennett is uncertain which Broncos side will turn up to take on the Titans.

"Everyone feels a bit better about themselves (after the Roosters win) and they reinforced what they have to do to win.

"They made a choice last week about the way they played and they'll make the choice tomorrow night about the way they play."

The Titans will hope to have a big say in how Brisbane play.

They may not have any history yet, but Bennett says they have enough talent in the likes of Scott Prince, Luke Bailey and Preston Campbell, to be a dangerous side.

"Bailey's been a great buy for them. He's got a great work ethic and you know he's going to give his best," said Bennett.

"That's the first thing you realise about guys like him and you know players around him will be on their game."

Bennett was unimpressed at speculation about the premiers facing an Origin-like atmosphere at the match.

"We play a big game every week at the Broncos," said Bennett.

"I don't know whether you miss the point that everybody is ready for us.

"There's not a week goes by that a team is not ready to play us.

"We can't put more emphasis on one week than we do on another week otherwise we'd be burned out by week four.

"We've played the Cowboys, Penrith came up and played probably the best game of the season and Auckland played a great game against us an the Roosters never stopped trying the other night.

"It will be the same tomorrow night and we have to approach it as game five in a 24 round competition."

TITAN PETE
12-04-07, 11:45 PM
Titans to come out strong & lead from the front with a field goal putting the win beyond doubt.
Titans 27-18

Steelers
13-04-07, 01:03 AM
I picked the Titans. The Broncos have looked far from convincing so far this season (including their pre-season form), and expect the Titans to be very fired up in fornt of a big crowd.

Steve
13-04-07, 11:51 AM
I just checked ticketek, looks like they've released the gaps between season pass holders, gold is on sale.
Should be great seats, front row is available, and I imagine it's right in the midst of our gold and steel members!

Coaster
13-04-07, 12:02 PM
Yeah i just checked also, could get western stand 302 row 3, wow, i cant make it either :(((((

Steve
13-04-07, 12:09 PM
I got pretty much same spot but on the opposite side, so i'm happy enough with that. Would be great to be packed in with Titans fans though!

Coaster
13-04-07, 12:21 PM
Bah i was sposed to do something else tonight, but thats cancelled, i just got 4 tickets Section 302 Row 1

Ill see yas up there

DIEHARD
13-04-07, 01:54 PM
Titans pumped for Suncorp blockbuster

TITANS star centre Mat Rogers is an almost certain starter for tonight's blockbuster against the defending premiers at Suncorp Stadium, declaring yesterday he did not want to miss the 'big occasion'.

A near capacity crowd is expected for the crunch local derby between the Gold Coast and Brisbane, which has etched itself as one of the most hotly anticipated games of the year.

Dual international Rogers got the all-clear to resume full training by a spinal specialist on Thursday after missing last weekend's 24-22 win over Penrith because of a bulging disc in his neck.

The 31-year-old wasn't expected back until next week against Manly, but after getting through a field training session at Runaway Bay yesterday he looks set to start the match in place of rookie Josh Graham.

"If I get a chance I would love to be out there," said Rogers.

"Everybody loves a big occasion ... and hopefully I get the opportunity."

Graham is struggling with a sternum injury sustained against Penrith.

Cartwright will give both players a fitness test today before deciding which one will take the field, but Rogers trained in the position yesterday.

If Rogers gets the green light there will be no time to ease back in as he will get the tough job of shutting down powerhouse Broncos and Test centre Justin Hodges.

"I have the all-clear from the doctor to play and I am in no more danger of a dangerous spinal injury than any other member of the public," said Rogers, who first sustained the injury about 18 months ago during his stint in rugby union with the NSW Waratahs.

"It is just something I have got to manage and deal with. We will wait and see how Josh is and how I am tomorrow.

"I haven't done too much ball work over the past couple of weeks so it is up to the coach to make a call."

Despite speculation he could have been forced down the same retirement road as Newcastle halfback Andrew Johns because of his neck problem, Rogers said that he was never worried.

"I knew how bad my neck was," he said.

"I had scans on it about a year ago and I got the exact same result.

"It was just a bit of a new thing for our doctor here so he wanted to check it to make sure.

"I was always 100 per cent confident that I would be right to play."

But Rogers could still need surgery to fix the problem in the near future, most likely at the end of the season.

"It (surgery) is something that is necessary, whether it is this off season or not I am not sure," said Rogers.

"It is just an injury that needs to be managed and treated. I probably haven't been as diligent in the treatment side of things with it and it flared up. I will stay on top of it now."

Source: http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

patskE
13-04-07, 02:41 PM
i guess rogers is the 18th man then
hard to slot him in
cant push grahman out
so would have to be deleaney i rkn

Titanium_BD1103
13-04-07, 07:27 PM
Good luck Titans.... I really do believe we can buck the Broncos and get the 2 points... the side is in better shape than the Broncos have been this season, is fit and looks the goods... should be a great game... :)

Steelers
13-04-07, 07:49 PM
Wow! The Titans definately got a bigger roar than the Broncos IMO. And seeing the section of the crowd with 100's of Titans flags literally sent shivers down my spine!

Steelers
13-04-07, 08:02 PM
What a game so far! It has had so much action so far, and it is barely 10 minutes old! I don't think I have ever watched a game where both teams get cheered for :|

jenny
13-04-07, 08:20 PM
The Magnificent .........TITANS.........Woooooooo Hoooooooo:)

Steelers
13-04-07, 08:21 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - 30 MINUTES**

Gold Coast Titans- 12

Tries: Minichiello, Delaney
Goals: Campbell 2/2

Brisbane Broncos- 0

Tries:
Goals:

Steelers
13-04-07, 08:22 PM
Titans just got severly ripped off. Matt Hilder never took the ball out. He didn't stand on the line, and now the Broncos could have scored from the set of 6.

Steelers
13-04-07, 08:24 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - 33 MINUTES**

Gold Coast Titans - 12

Brisbane Broncos - 6

Tries: Hunt
Goals: Lockyer 1/1

Steelers
13-04-07, 08:32 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - HALF TIME**

Gold Coast Titans - 12

Brisbane Broncos - 6

Poida
13-04-07, 08:32 PM
Go Broncs :)

Steelers
13-04-07, 08:37 PM
Well the Titans were by far the better team in that half. Alot of mistakes by both teams, but both teams were playing a very attacking brand of footy. The ref IMO is having a shocker, and that has mainly helped the Broncos. Matty Rogers looks very good coming back form injury. Crowd has gone from slightly in favour of the Titans to very much Titans. Can't wait for the 2nd half.

Steelers
13-04-07, 08:59 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - 53 MINUTES**

Gold Coast Titans - 16

Tries: Minichiello, Delaney (2)
Goals: Campbell 2/3

Brisbane Broncos - 6

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:05 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - 59 MINUTES**

Gold Coast Titans - 22

Tries: Minichiello, Delaney (2), Henderson
Goals: Campbell 3/4

Brisbane Broncos - 6

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:10 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - 64 MINUTES**

Gold Coast Titans - 22

Tries: Minichiello, Delaney (2), Henderson
Goals: Campbell 3/4

Brisbane Broncos - 12

Tries: Hunt, Hodges
Goals: Lockyer 2/2

Steel Dragon
13-04-07, 09:12 PM
What the... ? I have NEVER seen a penalty given to a team on the third tackle of the next set. What if the Titans had made a break and scored a try - would the video ref then take advantage of the stoppage and go back and give a penalty to the Broncos?

Jason

Steel Dragon
13-04-07, 09:16 PM
How many crap forward pass calls have gone against us tonight? There is no way that ball to Paea was forward. Grrrrrrrr!

Jason

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:23 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - 75 MINUTES**

Gold Coast Titans - 28

Tries: Minichiello, Delaney (2), Henderson, Laffranchi
Goals: Campbell 4/5

Brisbane Broncos - 12

Tries: Hunt, Hodges
Goals: Lockyer 2/2

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:24 PM
What the... ? I have NEVER seen a penalty given to a team on the third tackle of the next set. What if the Titans had made a break and scored a try - would the video ref then take advantage of the stoppage and go back and give a penalty to the Broncos?

Jason

How many crap forward pass calls have gone against us tonight? There is no way that ball to Paea was forward. Grrrrrrrr!

Jason

Gotta agree with you there, the ref/s have had a disasterous game.

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:26 PM
Michael Henderson is in alot of pain right now, not good news, looks very very bad. He knew it straight away that it was bad, looks very painful :| About to be stretchered off. That is really a bad thing to have to witness

Poida
13-04-07, 09:27 PM
Michael Henderson is in alot of pain right now, not good news, looks very very bad. He knew it straight away that it was bad, looks very painful :| About to be stretchered off. That is really a bad thing to have to witness

What actually happened?

Steel Dragon
13-04-07, 09:28 PM
CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!! Henderson gone to a knee injury. Judging by how much pain he's in, could be out for a long time. We haven't had a good run with injury so far, have we? I guess the one positive is that despite the injuries, we're going to be 3 and 2, which is a nice response to all those people who said we might go all right as long as we don't have any injuries. Perhaps the Dragons should take note of how it's done. ;)

Jason

Dragons
13-04-07, 09:28 PM
It's all over.........ha-ha Boncos. What a team of champions we have got on the coast. Little brother wins (karma Crushers)

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:30 PM
**SCORE UPDATE - 78 MINUTES**

Gold Coast Titans - 28

Brisbane Broncos - 16

Tries: Hunt, Hodges, Tate
Goals: Lockyer 2/3

Steel Dragon
13-04-07, 09:31 PM
I don't understand why the Broncos should have got the ball after the Henderson injury. I know the rule as it stands, but I think it a tad unfair that a bloke who was in so much pain that holding on to the ball was the last thing on his mind is punished by possession being given to the other team.

Jason

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:33 PM
**FINAL SCORE**

Gold Coast Titans - 28

Brisbane Broncos - 16

Tries: Hunt, Hodges, Tate
Goals: Lockyer 2/3

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:34 PM
I don't understand why the Broncos should have got the ball after the Henderson injury. I know the rule as it stands, but I think it a tad unfair that a bloke who was in so much pain that holding on to the ball was the last thing on his mind is punished by possession being given to the other team.

Jason

It is pretty unfair, but you can't do much about it I guess. He dropped the ball, therefore the other team gets the ball.

Steel Dragon
13-04-07, 09:35 PM
Brilliant work by the boys. Some very, very good goalline defence won us that game, and some very,very bad handling by the Broncs. One thing still worries me though is yet again we let in late points. So far it hasn't cost us, but at some point it will if we keep doing it.

Jason

Dragons
13-04-07, 09:35 PM
Well done Titans, SOOOOOOOO HAAAAPPPYYY.........whooooyooo

Steelers
13-04-07, 09:37 PM
Apparently Michael Henderson has broken his leg. Definately not good news for the young bloke, no wonder he was in so much pain :(

Robbie_Dee
13-04-07, 09:39 PM
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! WHAT A PERFORMANCE!!!!!!! Prince was awesome!!!!!!

Broncos were disgraceful tonight! absolutely disgraceful!!!

Bad luck to Henderson!! Man that looked painful!!!! by the look on his face, he'll be missing a fair bit!!!

Again, well done to Titans for performing in front of a big crowd!!! They kept a cool head and just outplayed the crap broncos team!

Never would have thought Titans would be 3/5 matches!!!!!!!!!! Amazing stuff!!!!!

Hoppy2007Dragons
13-04-07, 09:41 PM
Henderson what a shame, he looked in enorumus pain, he was just starting to hit top gear to.

On another note, what a game, Mincehillo, was my standout, he got one try, was about as close as you can get to a try. But for me a second rower that plays 50-60 mins he had some good stats and a terrific game, a couple of his defensive reads were superb.

1 line break, 1 line break assist, 1 offload, 5 tackle breaks.

8 runs for 72m (9.0m avg)

21 Tackles (1on1) 2

2 missed tackles and 1 error, excellent stats and a real good buy, mark has really proven he is a good footballer with some consistency at the titans, this is his best so far.

All in all another good team effort, titans are playing like a club thats been together for a few seasons.

And anyone beating the broncos puts a smile on my dial.

Dragons
13-04-07, 09:41 PM
It's blown me away, I love it. The coast is back better then ever.

jenny
13-04-07, 09:42 PM
We felt sick for
Michael Henderson..:( .That poor guy was in such Pain He had a great game too, we hope his recovery is swift....Congratulations to ALL the Titans Team and Coaching staff etc....The Titans have truly arrived ;) :)

jenny
13-04-07, 09:45 PM
Titans shock Broncos

April 13, 2007 09:30pm

THE Gold Coast Titans shocked the Brisbane Broncos with a convincing 28-16 win at Suncorp Stadium tonight in only their fifth NRL game.
More to come ...

Scores: GOLD COAST 28 (B Delaney 2 M Henderson A Laffranchi M Minichiello tries P Campbell 4 goals) d BRISBANE 16 (J Hodges K Hunt B Tate tries D Lockyer 2 goals) at Suncorp Stadium. Referee: S Clark. Crowd: 47,686.

Article from: The Courier-Mail

Steelers
13-04-07, 10:07 PM
It was a great performance by the Titans. There were a few errors here and there, but luckily the Broncos weren't at all capable of turning them critical errors, because they were busy making error after error after error. The referee didn't help at all, and a Broncos side of old would have capitalised on those refereeing errors to the max. Can't take anything away from the Titans though. They are in top form and are looking like being solid top eight contenders. Real shame about Henderson though, had a great night, finished in probably the worst way possible. All the best for a speedy recovery mate.

GO TITANS!!

jenny
13-04-07, 10:09 PM
Class of the Titans

April 13, 2007 - 9:50PM

Titans 28 Broncos 16

Civil war was declared in south-east Queensland tonight as NRL newcomer Gold Coast Titans blew away defending champion the Brisbane Broncos 28-16 at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

New kids on the block the Gold Coast added plenty of spice to the newest NRL derby as they outmuscled "big brother" Brisbane in an impressive five-tries-to-three win in front of 47,686 mostly pro-Titans crowd.

Just as they did in their historic opening round match, the Gold Coast used Suncorp Stadium as their "home" venue tonight, relegating the Broncos to the unfamiliar tag of visitor at their beloved Brisbane ground.

As a result, everything seemed to be turned on its head tonight.

The usually partisan crowd booed the Broncos.

The Titans fans appeared to outnumber the Brisbane faithful.

And as a result, even the ever reliable Darren Lockyer made uncharacteristic mistakes for a clearly ratted Brisbane.

Gold Coast made Brisbane pay, racing to a 12-0 lead after two tries in as many minutes before the Broncos cut it to 12-6 by halftime.

The Titans blew their lead out to 22-6 by the 58th minute after impressive centre Brett Delaney completed a try-scoring double.

The Gold Coast exploited a right side overlap to send Delaney over in the 53rd minute before quick hands from Scott Prince and Preston Campbell set up prop Michael Henderson in the 58th.

But Brisbane gave the Broncos fans game enough to cheer the NRL champs some hope when centre Justin Hodges muscled his way over in the 62nd minute to limit the damage to 22-12.

However, form backrower Anthony Laffranchi ended the match as a contest when he burrowed over from dummy half in the 74th minute.

Campbell potted over the sideline conversion to rub salt into the Broncos' wounds.

Brisbane centre Brent Tate scored off a Lockyer grubber in the dying minutes but it was too little, too late for the "visitors".

It didn't all go to plan for the Titans tonight.

Lock Luke Swain was placed on report in the 62nd minute for a high shot on Broncos halfback Shane Perry.

And Henderson was stetchered off in the 77th minute after he was smashed in a tackle.

The Broncos appeared rattled by the hostile environment at their beloved Suncorp Stadium as the Gold Coast raced to a 12-0 lead by the 29th minute thanks to two quick tries.

Backrower Mark Minichiello muscled over Hodges then stepped around Karmichael Hunt to crash over in the 27th minute.

Minichiello was at it again two minutes later when he was dragged down just short in a desperate Brent Tate tackle before Prince set up Delaney down the right flank.

Brisbane took stock and made Titans five-eighth Matt Hilder pay for an in-goal error from the re-start.

Hunt crossed out wide in the 32nd minute after claiming a deft Lockyer pass and running over three defenders, but only after video referee Graeme West checked for any Broncos obstruction.

But that was as close as the Broncos got in the first half as the Titans sniffed an upset as they headed for the much more spacious home team dressing rooms.

smh.com.au

Old Diehard
13-04-07, 10:27 PM
Hooray! Yippee! Unreal!

RobJ
13-04-07, 10:59 PM
What an AWESOME performance.

When the draw was released...I saw round 5 and winced..........after Round 1 my wince was more a twinkle.......is is possible.....can we?

Stupid question.......can we???? Of course we bloody can!!!!!

Defend like that every game guys and watch the results flow........full credit to Gilly and Staff.

The way the team flows, backs up and and the enthusiasm......Carty......magnificent effort.......just bloody unreal.

Hendo.....hope you have a speedy recovery......one of the best on the ground.

Mat.....nailing Hodges among others all night........very sweet indeed.

The 'Bronco brigade' commentators (Voss, Walters) change your Broncos goggles boys...........blue a mighty fine colour...and get used to it you biased buggars

I just can't stop grinning........fantastic efforts guys........just fantastic

GO THE TITANS!!!!!!!

PROMETHEUS
13-04-07, 11:35 PM
Awesome win by the boys tonight,showed a massive amount of ticker and pride in the defensive issues tonight...how good is rogers playing,hes a master of reading the play and coming in and making the tackle when it matters!
Condolenses to our brave injured soldier Henderson,hopefully the footy gods smile on him and he has a speedy recovery.
Hopefully the dogs pound the eagles this week and deplete their ranks for next week!
Btw what are our odds on making the 8?
Must be getting shorter each week...

Social Loafer
13-04-07, 11:40 PM
Great performance by the titans..

All the players were fantastic, although Kris Kahler really needs to pull his socks up... :D

mb63
13-04-07, 11:51 PM
the odss for Titans finish last will now drift out as they should & the odds for them to make finals will shorten considerably.

Cowboy Titan
13-04-07, 11:56 PM
Just got home from the game. What an awesome night!!!!

It was fantastic to see so much Titans support there. We were sitting high in the western stand and could see the Titans colours/flags everywhere we looked.

It was a real shame for Henderson. The way he was banging his fist on the ground when he went down, you could tell it was something pretty bad. All the best for a speedy recovery.

A fantastic team effort from the Titans. We've really got a team to be proud of and on the form of the past couple of weeks, we have a realistic chance of making the 8.

shamus
14-04-07, 12:38 AM
Bloody Awesome! Just got home.........Atmosphere was electric. Shame we can't generate that at Carrara...bring on Robina. I was starting to think our weakness was defending close to the line, when the opposing big forwards tend to bash us a little senseless, but not tonight. A tremendous effort by the whole team. Fantastic effort by everyone. Good on ya Carty and Co. Really really bad luck for Hendo though. Geez, the guy was in a lot of pain. The old Luke might find himself sitting on the sideline for a couple of weeks as well.

I am in a bit of a pickle next week though as I have been a Manly boy for 37 years....

Steel Dragon
14-04-07, 12:53 AM
Big positive out of that game for all Saints fans: We're not the only team who's dropped our bundle!!! Thank you Broncos for cheering me up so much.

Jason ;)

Coaster
14-04-07, 01:01 AM
One of the best days in my life

At Midday i was wondering what the hell to do, Work had knocked off early, got on to the Ticketec site, got some tickets to the game.

Not just any tickets Half way line, in the FRONT ROW, i was without doubt only 1.5 meters left from the Broncos Bench.

Driving home i thought i might just buy another Titans TShirt, stopped at Sportys, all sold out, 4 other people trying to get Titans stuff also. So i stop at Amart Allsports, SIGN ON FLOOR, OUT OF TITANS GEAR about 15 people there trying to get stuff.

On way home Ring ABC Talking Sport, have a good old chat to MG, about the Titans tonight and told them about the interest on the coast.

No Probs, head to the game, get flagged by a Jetstar rep, who take Photos of me my wife and daughter, and want to use them for promotional stuff.

Sat next to a loadmouth Bronco, who just gave it to the Titans from the start, Finshed the game laughing my As# off at him as he dragged his sorry butt, out of the stadium winless and HE ALSO HAS TO LIVE IN BRISBANE so i said to him
hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

:took a deep breath:
hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaha.

Walked out of the ground and watched a cheesed off broncos fool, start causing trouble to a Titans bloke, who very casualy, turned and with one punch smashed this gooses teeth in.

I dont know how the Friday 13th could really get much better than this!!!

GO YOU GOOD THINGS

bigjim
14-04-07, 01:20 AM
Me of little faith.

An ex Broncos supporter who felt that as good as the Titans season start has been, I just felt the Broncos would have our measure this week.

What do I know.

I will never tip against the Titans again, I will never tip against the Titans again, I will never tip against the Titans again.

bigjim
14-04-07, 01:28 AM
I would like to say, for the record.

I have just read some of the comments on the Broncos forum after their loss to the Titans and I hope we, as Titans fans will never disrespect those players who bust their guts every week for the Gold Coast.
They rip their own players apart and give no respect to their opponents ability for any win.

Hopefully we will always applaud our teams effort, not just their results.

Steve
14-04-07, 02:16 AM
That was damn good!
Just got home, thanks to Diehard and his lady friend for the lift!
Met a few forum people tonight, was great.

Was an arm wrestle of a game, but once we got ahead, never looked back.
Always a pleasure to see the Broncos fans head off early, no doubt to beat the traffic.

One thing though, it was OUR home game. What the heck were the Broncos mascots doing on the field?
Yet another example of broncos arrogance.

patskE
14-04-07, 04:27 AM
Great performance by the titans..

All the players were fantastic, although Kris Kahler really needs to pull his socks up... :D

with the lost of henderson he really does, the bull cant do it all himself

u rkn they slot myers onto run on side with graham coming back onto the bench?

jenny
14-04-07, 06:05 AM
Titans stun big brother Broncos;) :D

14Apr07

FORGET the 2007 grand final, the Gold Coast Titans are already Australia's rugby league champions.

That's how it was for the 47,686 at Suncorp Stadium last night and tens of thousands of blue and gold supporters across the nation as the Gold Coast pulled off a historic 28-16 win over reigning NRL premiers the Brisbane Broncos.

In one of rugby league's most spell-binding fairytales, the longshot Titans stunned the Broncos and their supporters.

This was the win the Titans and their supporters wanted more than anything. This was the local derby.

Little brother against big brother and the celebrations will still be going on this morning.

The game may have been played in Broncos heartland, but Suncorp swayed to a different beat last night.

The Broncos were playing but the crowd wasn't singing that song.

'Titans! Titans!' was the chant from the predominantly Gold Coast crowd.

From the moment the Titans ran out to Guns N' Roses' Welcome to the Jungle, the Brisbane players and their outnumbered fans knew this was Suncorp in name only.

Little brother had arrived and he wasn't taking a back seat

Titans managing director Michael Searle described the clash as something more than football.

"Paul Broughton (the club's chairman) and I have been saying this is the start of a 100-year civil war for southeast Queensland," he said.

"Outside of Origin this should be the marquee event for southeast Queensland every year.

"You can see the passion in the stands. Listen to the crowd. There is even competition in the stands.

"Once one chant goes up the other starts, but listen to the Titans fans. They are loud and clear.

"Just like the players, they aren't going to be second best.

"This is phenomenal. This is great.

"The civil war started tonight. The first shots have been fired."

Now that the Gold Coast has a football team, what the fans wanted was credibility.

That came last night against the defending premiers and a genuine powerhouse of the NRL.

From the opening minutes of last night's clash, Titans conductor Scott Prince and his indefatigable team refused to be intimidated.

The first Titans try, to second-rower Mark Minichiello, was met with almost a shocked response from the crowd and then rapturous applause.

Could the improbable happen?

Could the rookies upstage the hardened veterans at Suncorp?

Then came two tries to Josh Graham, another to Michael Henderson and finally one to Anthony Laffranchi.

Yes. The rookies had done it.

Titans coach John Cartwright wants a culture built around this local derby.

For Searle and many who trekked north via rail and road last night, that culture already exists.

The Titans may be a new Coast identity, slicker, more polished than those who came before them.

But they haven't invented the game on the tourist strip.

There are plenty of fans who still carry the torch, and the scars, from the Giants, Seagulls and Chargers days.

Since 1988 the Gold Coast and Brisbane have met at elite level in rugby league 15 times.

The scoreline now sits at Brisbane 12, the Gold Coast 3.

Those who cheered the Titans ho**** last night would be buoyed by the fact that the first time these cities met there was a boilover.

The might of the Broncos, led by 'The King', Wally Lewis, were ambushed at Seagulls Stadium on May 8, 1988.

The final score that night was Giants 25, Brisbane 22.

A young Michael Searle sat on the bench for the Giants that night '****ting' himself he might get called into the fray.

Another win did not come until 1994, when this time the Seagulls edged out Brisbane 25-12 at Carrara.

The previous year that culture had stirred up a record crowd, with 57,212 turning out to QEII Stadium to watch Brisbane again take the honours.

Then last night the third Gold Coast victory came as a new era dawned.

The winning culture is alive.
GOLD COAST BULLETIN

Robbie_Dee
14-04-07, 08:25 AM
I forgot last night to credit Mark Minichello!!!! Awesome night for him!!! I had my foot in my mouth for a split second when Hilder tried to get an offload in-goal to presto with a bronco RIGHT next to him!!!!! Carty will be gettin into him no doubt! I guess, Broncos hand drying shammy be jingo's didn't work! Handling was dreadful!

Preston Campbell didn't get enough action for my liking again! he needs to move to 5/8. Also, isn't Nathan Friend an 80 minute player? I would like to see him run out and play hooker from the start more often...

47 thousand in attendance, and Titans manage to play like that!!!! Titans are the real deal this time! We're here for good!!!! Didn't crumble one bit!!!!

DeeGan
14-04-07, 09:26 AM
The highlight of my year already! :D

I wasn't able to get to the game due to work commitments which was disappointing and I will again watch the game on replay today on FOXSPORTS.

Scott Prince - he is playing his best football since winning a grand final with the Wests Tigers and he is unfortunate to have a guy by the name of Johnathan Thurston in front of him for Origin.

Luke Bailey IS the best prop in the world bar no one. End of story.

Anthony Laffranchi I said last year is capable of furthering his representative career with NSW and is possibly a 'bolter' to play for Australia.

GO THE TITANS!

jenny
14-04-07, 09:27 AM
My brother in the U.S. and his Aussie Mates and NEW American Mates watched the game on Cable over there (not sure what time) He said they went Nuts when Titans first scored....He said it was a HUGE night...They celebrated the win, with a All night Session....:)

Titanium_BD1103
14-04-07, 09:38 AM
2 words sum up todays performance.... Teamwork and Enthusisam...:D :D

That comes from my comments on last weeks performance against Penrith, and you know what, it is the same thing this week, except in larger doses and bigger spades.... to say I am ecstatic about the effort the boys showed last night is an understatement, I am very proud to be a GC fan today... :)

There are two things you want to see from your team regardless of whether it wins or loses, and that is commitment till the end and a team that plays as a team, support on every play and makes it their own... 17 players working for 17 others.

I have to say, out of all the teams in the comp ATM, the GC amazingly are the ones that are doing that the best... having only been together for 5 weeks playing NRL comp footy, they are showing the teamwork of a team that has been together 5-6 years... and that is a real credit to Carty, Satts, Gilly and Billy... who have made this team work.

It was the teamwork I was so impressed with last night, it just shone... every player was backing up another one last night... when a player made a break you knew there was going to be something on because another teammate was on his right or left, ready to carve up Brisbane and make the line. When in defense the Titans were there as a team, if they were short, a man ran across the field to get in and help his mate... it really is the sign of a great football team.

Then we get to the play... simply superb... Prince's kicking game awesome, had the ball on a string... Jake Webster was superb at the back and Rogers looks like he is starting to get back to that special form we saw from him in his Cronulla days. The fantastic thing about the play is that even with Bailey and Campbell not having the impact of their efforts against the Panthers, there are players who step up like Minichiello, Hilder and Friend and fill the gap and play out of their skins.

Brisbane yes were aweful, lost the ball on way too many occasions on the first and second tackle, but they only could play as well as the GC allowed them to play... and that was at limited level, the defense and determination shown tonight, 6 in tackles and going hard every minute, is just awesome.

I know that it is only round 5, but if the GC can keep out of injury and stay true to the game plan of teamwork and playing for 17 every week, there is no reason why they can't make the 8, maybe even the 4.

Bring on Manly, because the more this team plays, the more exciting it is going to be... :D :D

Massive_Weno
14-04-07, 09:41 AM
What a game! Great to see the Titans stand up to the Boncos big forward pack and not take a backward step all night. Was thoughouly enjoying for me as a few of my mates are avid boncos fans and let me say that no words were needed to let them know how good the feeling is!!!

So far i have been a doubter of Hilder at 5/8 but last night i thought he fit into the backline a bit better and even looked as though he was capable of something in attack at times.

Jake Webster was brilliant under the high ball last night and for me that is his position especially the way Delaney showed he can play in the centres.

eelectrica
14-04-07, 10:23 AM
Easily my best night out at a football game ever.
I've been to Origins, seen plenty Parra Broncos games, but last night topped all. Just such a shame the injury to Henderson had to take some of the gloss off it. He'd done well to get himself in the starting side and now he's got to start over.

Well done to all involved. Bring on next week, I can't wait for it already.

TITAN PETE
14-04-07, 11:25 AM
A brilliant night & remember all that think the Broncos played badly that you can only play has good as the oppostion lets you !

Rock solid defence by Minni,Hendo,Amos,Bull & Delaney.

Coaster
14-04-07, 02:38 PM
I would like to say, for the record.

I have just read some of the comments on the Broncos forum after their loss to the Titans and I hope we, as Titans fans will never disrespect those players who bust their guts every week for the Gold Coast.
They rip their own players apart and give no respect to their opponents ability for any win.

Mate you need to do yourself a favor and stay away from that place, its poisoned with 13yrd know it alls, that have no idea about football.

The only ones that do know what they are talking about are drowned out by the idiots that accept nothing short of perfection, and have never laced a boot themselves.

Its a shame i like the Broncos players so much, becuase there all queenslanders, but that will even out now there is an another team to go to, young kids like the melbourne boys will have another option at least.

It is going to be a long road for these Broncos fans, they have just realised Broncos are not Queenslands older brother, but in fact they are the Red haired step kid.

It will be a pleasure to take there spot in the 8 this year.

shavenjas
14-04-07, 07:24 PM
Awsome display last night Titans well done, Broncos made way to many mistakes, i will forgive you just this once for beating us. i love watching Scott Prince play he is one of the best, i know Lockyer and Thurston will be the halfs in origin but Qld have to have Prince in the squad.
Come on Broncos start winning, losing this much i am starting to feel like a St George supporter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Tamwelg
14-04-07, 09:07 PM
I keep coming to this thread wanting to post about the game, but continually find myself lost for words. This was the first NRL game I have seen live in 5 years (been stuck in W.A.) and I am so proud of the way the whole team performed. I will be watching the replay tommorrow and will post my thoughts after that.

patskE
15-04-07, 02:43 AM
ahah tamwelg
least u seen the titans play in person
havnt yet
hopefully i get to the manly game
watched the repley last night on fox at 1.30 i think
so happy aye, i stayed home, dogged my m8's just so i could watch the game in peace, come 11:30 i was so pumped i wanted to go out ahah
good game
beat the defending prem's, means we can match it with the best
HOO HOO

Tamwelg
15-04-07, 08:49 AM
ahah tamwelg
least u seen the titans play in person
havnt yet
hopefully i get to the manly game
watched the repley last night on fox at 1.30 i think
so happy aye, i stayed home, dogged my m8's just so i could watch the game in peace, come 11:30 i was so pumped i wanted to go out ahah
good game
beat the defending prem's, means we can match it with the best
HOO HOO

Petty you didn't ge to Suncorp, the atmosphere was awesome.

Smithy
15-04-07, 08:52 AM
Petty you didn't ge to Suncorp, the atmosphere was awesome.

I was there sitting in between a heqap of Bronco's fans.
Geeze it felt good to give them a whipping.
Great night for a Gold Coast local.

Poida
15-04-07, 10:27 AM
Titans stun big brother Broncos;) :D

14Apr07

FORGET the 2007 grand final, the Gold Coast Titans are already Australia's rugby league champions.

That's how it was for the 47,686 at Suncorp Stadium last night and tens of thousands of blue and gold supporters across the nation as the Gold Coast pulled off a historic 28-16 win over reigning NRL premiers the Brisbane Broncos.

In one of rugby league's most spell-binding fairytales, the longshot Titans stunned the Broncos and their supporters.

This was the win the Titans and their supporters wanted more than anything. This was the local derby.

Little brother against big brother and the celebrations will still be going on this morning.

The game may have been played in Broncos heartland, but Suncorp swayed to a different beat last night.

The Broncos were playing but the crowd wasn't singing that song.

'Titans! Titans!' was the chant from the predominantly Gold Coast crowd.

From the moment the Titans ran out to Guns N' Roses' Welcome to the Jungle, the Brisbane players and their outnumbered fans knew this was Suncorp in name only.

Little brother had arrived and he wasn't taking a back seat

Titans managing director Michael Searle described the clash as something more than football.

"Paul Broughton (the club's chairman) and I have been saying this is the start of a 100-year civil war for southeast Queensland," he said.

"Outside of Origin this should be the marquee event for southeast Queensland every year.

"You can see the passion in the stands. Listen to the crowd. There is even competition in the stands.

"Once one chant goes up the other starts, but listen to the Titans fans. They are loud and clear.

"Just like the players, they aren't going to be second best.

"This is phenomenal. This is great.

"The civil war started tonight. The first shots have been fired."

Now that the Gold Coast has a football team, what the fans wanted was credibility.

That came last night against the defending premiers and a genuine powerhouse of the NRL.

From the opening minutes of last night's clash, Titans conductor Scott Prince and his indefatigable team refused to be intimidated.

The first Titans try, to second-rower Mark Minichiello, was met with almost a shocked response from the crowd and then rapturous applause.

Could the improbable happen?

Could the rookies upstage the hardened veterans at Suncorp?

Then came two tries to Josh Graham, another to Michael Henderson and finally one to Anthony Laffranchi.

Yes. The rookies had done it.

Titans coach John Cartwright wants a culture built around this local derby.

For Searle and many who trekked north via rail and road last night, that culture already exists.

The Titans may be a new Coast identity, slicker, more polished than those who came before them.

But they haven't invented the game on the tourist strip.

There are plenty of fans who still carry the torch, and the scars, from the Giants, Seagulls and Chargers days.

Since 1988 the Gold Coast and Brisbane have met at elite level in rugby league 15 times.

The scoreline now sits at Brisbane 12, the Gold Coast 3.

Those who cheered the Titans ho**** last night would be buoyed by the fact that the first time these cities met there was a boilover.

The might of the Broncos, led by 'The King', Wally Lewis, were ambushed at Seagulls Stadium on May 8, 1988.

The final score that night was Giants 25, Brisbane 22.

A young Michael Searle sat on the bench for the Giants that night '****ting' himself he might get called into the fray.

Another win did not come until 1994, when this time the Seagulls edged out Brisbane 25-12 at Carrara.

The previous year that culture had stirred up a record crowd, with 57,212 turning out to QEII Stadium to watch Brisbane again take the honours.

Then last night the third Gold Coast victory came as a new era dawned.

The winning culture is alive.
GOLD COAST BULLETIN
Wouldnt go that far and say theyre champions just because of a local derby win over the Broncos. They got a long way to go yet.
They got another much tougher derby to play against a much more in form North Qld Cowboys side :D:D

Smithy
15-04-07, 12:57 PM
Wouldnt go that far and say theyre champions just because of a local derby win over the Broncos. They got a long way to go yet.
They got another much tougher derby to play against a much more in form North Qld Cowboys side :D:D

I think you are missing the point of the article. It won't be a local derby against the Cowboys. There not local. What the article is saying, imo, is that the rivalary is still there, except this time we are a stronger fitter team that can match it with the big boys. When the previous GC teams were playing, any win was an upset because they really didn't have the team to beat anyone. Now they do.

I was there with my three sons on Friday night and they all felt like champions.
Proud to be a Titan......Smithy

Poida
15-04-07, 01:01 PM
I think you are missing the point of the article. It won't be a local derby against the Cowboys. There not local. What the article is saying, imo, is that the rivalary is still there, except this time we are a stronger fitter team that can match it with the big boys. When the previous GC teams were playing, any win was an upset because they really didn't have the team to beat anyone. Now they do.

I was there with my three sons on Friday night and they all felt like champions.
Proud to be a Titan......Smithy

Ah ok I see what you mean :)

Smithy
15-04-07, 01:11 PM
Poida...I too look forward to seeing them take on the Cowboys seeing as they have similar styles of play. they are both teams that like to chance there hand at throwing it around and will back themselves in defence if it goes pear shaped.

hugebrianfan
16-04-07, 08:03 PM
oh god i cant believe GC titans beat the broncos..they are doing great at the moment..keep up the good work boys!

skua
13-04-08, 05:17 PM
By The Looks Of The Titans Performance This Season, 3 From 4 Wins, I Think That Mr. Cartwright Has What It Takes To Get Our Titans Back To The Number 1 Spot On The Ladder. I Mean, We Won Against Them Last Season, So Why Cant We This Season?

Anyways, Good Luck Titans :)

Darren Lockyer
13-04-08, 05:51 PM
Top of the table clash next week

Ryan
13-04-08, 06:08 PM
WTF?
This is last years thread????????

skua
13-04-08, 06:22 PM
i think that we may be able to use "the fortress" at skilled , so we can block our 10 m off from the broncos.

Go the Titans!!