asked in a few threads but yeh
wats the word?
DeegeN i am looking at u my man :P

Bulldog_Storm2114
29-03-07, 04:57 PM
He is injured......:(

dee13
29-03-07, 05:05 PM
I spoke to Richie at Suncorp, he is itching to get back onto the field and cement his place in the team.

DeeGan
29-03-07, 06:17 PM
asked in a few threads but yeh
wats the word?
DeegeN i am looking at u my man :P

Getting the exact turnaround time is hard - Billy Johnstone likes to keep it "inhouse".

Richie was due back this week though is listed as round four. He is not listed in any team this week. I think a more accurate turnaround is "indefinite".

He was due back last week in QLD Cup, he may not have pulled up how we would have liked. No point in risking him early if not 100%.

Steve
29-03-07, 06:24 PM
I read an article somewhere (possible the Titans Zone?) that he didn't feel right, so he's waiting instead of risking it like he did in the trial, which lead to him being injured.

Tamwelg
29-03-07, 09:19 PM
I'm very keen to see what Mathers is capable of.

On the topic of players injuries, Deegan, any chance you can look into having a column for time off due to injury in the Injury Report on the main titans web page.

http://www.titans.com.au/?mod=roster&type=injury_report

DeeGan
29-03-07, 09:44 PM
I don't maintain content on site though contribute to it (previews/reviews).

The time off is not being added on the request of Billy Johnstone. It won't be added mate.

Tamwelg
31-03-07, 02:24 PM
I don't maintain content on site though contribute to it (previews/reviews).

The time off is not being added on the request of Billy Johnstone. It won't be added mate.

O.K. thanks mate.

Tamwelg
31-03-07, 02:27 PM
Source: www.gcbulletin.com.au

Luke Turgeon

29Mar07

A FEW months ago Richie Mathers was in the mix to win a Great Britain jumper. Now he is preparing to wear the maroon and white of Burleigh Heads.

The Titans fullback prospect and former English Super League star is expected to make his comeback from a knee injury in the coming weeks for the Bears in the Queensland Cup.

"I would be lying if I said I am top of the world at the minute," said Mathers. "It is very hard watching the boys running out there and not being able to play.

"It is tough but I suppose I have to come back somewhere. I have to knuckle down and work my way through Q Cup with Burleigh.

"They are running their own team in their own competition so I have to give them that respect when I get there. But I don't want to be there too long. The reason I came over was to play first grade."

Mathers saw his shot at rep honours extinguished in May last year when he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament while playing for Leeds and had a knee reconstruction.

Making his first comeback in February, he was impressive in the Titans opening trial against Melbourne in Coffs Harbour before missing the second against Parramatta in Lismore because of a chest infection and lining up for the third pre-season game against Penrith on March 2.

The 23-year-old has been on the sidelines ever since.

"I was sick the week after Coffs Harbour and probably lost five kilos and was in a bad way," said Mathers.

"I ended up playing in the trial (against Penrith) and in hindsight it was not a good decision on my part.

"Billy (trainer Billy Johnstone) and the doctor were trying to persuade me not to play. But I was in a catch-22 situation.

"If I didn't play I would have missed two trials and probably not have made the first side anyway. I thought I had nothing to lose."

Pushing himself led to Mathers aggravating his knee injury.

"It has put me back quite a bit and I am disappointed," said Mathers, who only returned to full training from his reconstruction in January.

"I probably could get through a game but the damage I would do would be the problem. There is no point putting more stress on the tendon than I need to do."

Mathers was named on the bench for Burleigh at the weekend but elected not to play, feeling his knee was not yet 100 per cent.

"It is all on me (when I return) ... probably a couple of weeks yet," he said.

coldhardbitch
10-04-07, 10:34 PM
I met Richie last year when I went to Headlingley to see the Rhinos play. As a Rhino's fan, I am so excited for Richie to start. I hope it is soon that he gets his chance to play.

It's obvious that preston's position is 5/8, and we have a ready made champion fullback in waiting. Lets give Richie a go.

DIEHARD
11-04-07, 04:28 PM
Mathers scored for the Bears last weekend.

jake86
11-04-07, 09:22 PM
Mathers scored for the Bears last weekend.

Excellant. Another week or two and he should be ready

If the team continues to perform, we might not be able to fit him in

TITAN PETE
15-04-07, 08:34 PM
I watched Richie play for Burleigh on Friday night & he looked out of place in the centres but he seemed to come into 5/8 on a few occasions & looked a little lost maybe it's just a strange team to him.
Anyone else notice anything ?

quins rl
25-04-07, 01:43 PM
Richie is first and foremost a full-back,he may have played the odd game on the wing when he first came into the Rhinos first team,but that was more to do with the fact Gary Connolly was first choice full-back.I would like to see Mathers at 1 and Campbell at 6 when fit.

Chaos
25-04-07, 06:30 PM
I thought this guy played fullback for the Great Britain side...I also thought we were waiting for him in the Titans run on side so that Preston can be slotted back to 5/8.
Have I been assuming wrong here?

Tamwelg
26-04-07, 06:47 AM
I would like to see Mathers at 1 and Campbell at 6 when fit.

As would I

Quins R.L.
26-04-07, 09:27 PM
I thought this guy played fullback for the Great Britain side...I also thought we were waiting for him in the Titans run on side so that Preston can be slotted back to 5/8.
Have I been assuming wrong here?

Dont think Richie ever played for GB,he was named in a couple of squads but injury and Paul Wellens kept him out,he has played for England though at full-back.

lonegull
27-04-07, 10:18 AM
mathers surely isnt to far away from starting in the titans top grade, he is a great player, and it would free up presto to go to 5'8th

Steve
27-04-07, 10:52 AM
We certainly didn't bring him out to play in the Qld Cup, it's just a pity he's being forced to play out of position for the Bears. That can't help his chances with making the Titans side.
Still, at least we're struggling to fit players in, rather than struggling to put together a side.

lonegull
27-04-07, 11:18 AM
We certainly didn't bring him out to play in the Qld Cup, it's just a pity he's being forced to play out of position for the Bears. That can't help his chances with making the Titans side.
Still, at least we're struggling to fit players in, rather than struggling to put together a side.

hit the nail on the head, it just shows we do have depth there

quins rl
02-05-07, 12:22 PM
Depending on how players pull up after tonights game,Richie Mathers may well figure on the bench next game

lonegull
02-05-07, 12:49 PM
finally a chance to see richie, i am a huge fan of richie after following him in the uk this guy is a great player a i think once he gets his chance he will be there permanently

DIEHARD
02-05-07, 01:20 PM
I'm pleased to see Richie on the verge of breaking into our first grade spot.

I am a huge Mathers fan.

Sydney Titan
04-05-07, 04:39 PM
He has been named to replace Preston at Fullback so finally good to see him in the NRL

DIEHARD
05-05-07, 03:06 AM
He has been named to replace Preston at Fullback so finally good to see him in the NRL

Im shattered to lose Presto but I have been waiting to see Mathers. Sad that it was at the expense of Preston.

DIEHARD
05-05-07, 04:09 AM
Mathers ready to run hot in Titans debut
Pat McLeod

RICHIE Mathers' debut for the Gold Coast Titans may have come as a result of a knee injury to Preston Campbell, but he is determined it was also cause a headache for coach John Cartwright.

"Definitely, I want to make this position mine," Mathers said yesterday, after learning of his promotion for Monday night's clash with the Cowboys at Carrara.

"Whether I take this on now is up to me. All I can do is put my form on the board and give Carty a headache."

Mathers, 23, a highly credentialled English Super League player, came to the Titans recovering from a knee reconstruction.

There were plenty who predicted the Englishman would ultimately be the Titans custodian in 2007. But those thoughts were put on hold when Campbell proved the critics wrong and made an impressive start as fullback.

Mathers started his Aussie experience with three games for feeder club the Burleigh Bears and said while he is disappointed for Campbell he is ready to prove his worth.

"My first objective when I came over was to get fully fit," he said. "I was five to six months into rehab so I spent another five months over here working solidly.

"Seeing all the fanfare and the hype surrounding the boys has made me even more hungry just to get a start."

Despite playing up Mathers' debut, there was no doubt Cartwright has been hurt by Campbell's omission.

"This is a big blow because Preston was just starting to get used to his role," said Cartwright. "He provides a lot of tries for us.

"But this gives Richie his chance. He is a different type of player to Preston, not as electrifying, but he is a good talker and moves the ball well. I love his enthusiasm."

In another blow, form second rower Anthony Laffranchi broke his nose, also playing for Country, but the Murwillumbah product will play on Monday.

Source: http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

Steve
05-05-07, 11:15 AM
I hope he plays well too, we certainly didn't bring him out from the UK to play in the QLD Cup, but he was going to be behind Turner in anycase for the fullback spot.
This is what it's all about, making the most of your opportunities, and you don't get a bigger opportunity than this.
Good luck!

lonegull
05-05-07, 11:25 AM
mathers can read the game, hes a smart footballer dfferent to preston mathers schemes and safe

patskE
05-05-07, 02:03 PM
yeh but now it all lays in prince hands

quins rl
05-05-07, 08:36 PM
I hope he plays well too, we certainly didn't bring him out from the UK to play in the QLD Cup, but he was going to be behind Turner in anycase for the fullback spot.
This is what it's all about, making the most of your opportunities, and you don't get a bigger opportunity than this.
Good luck!
Wasnt Turner signed to play wing??

Hoppy2007Dragons
05-05-07, 10:07 PM
no turner was signed for fullback, because clint greenshields was looking for a contract and was in discussion but when they signed turner they stated as a fullback, clint only plays fullback so he went to the esl.

patskE
06-05-07, 02:12 AM
hows clinty going over there?

Hoppy2007Dragons
06-05-07, 02:01 PM
i haven't seen any games on tv of clint yet, but id imagine hes going well.

hugebrianfan
06-05-07, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to see what my sig looked like:)

patskE
06-05-07, 10:36 PM
Mathers out to make mark for Gold Coast
England international Richie Mathers says he can't afford to waste any time in making an impression in his NRL debut for Gold Coast against competition heavyweight North Queensland at Carrara Stadium on Monday night.

Mathers wants to give Titans coach John Cartwright a giant selection headache when first-choice fullback Preston Campbell returns from a knee injury.

Campbell is expected to miss six weeks of football after straining the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during the City-Country Origin match in Coffs Harbour on Thursday.

Mathers could have that long to force his way into the starting line-up, but he is determined to make an impact in the NRL starting on Monday night against a Cowboys outfit boasting strike weapons Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.

"I've got to perform this week and hopefully get selected for next week," the 23-year-old former Leeds fullback told AAP.

"It's not about blending in and getting used to it.

"I just want to really put pressure on Carty and give him a selection headache.

"He'd want me to make it a tough choice for him and that's all I can really hope for over the next period, just make the most of my opportunity."

Mathers believed he was ready to make the leap to the NRL after three games for Burleigh Bears in the Queensland Cup.

"It's been a little bit frustrating seeing all the boys play in the big games because you want to be involved," said Mathers, who fell violently ill during the pre-season before suffering patella tendonitis on the same knee he had reconstructed last year.

"The last thing I want to do is be playing Queensland Cup.

"I came over to test myself in the NRL but on the flip side that's all down to me.

"Nobody's got a God-given right to play NRL. You have to work hard and put the form on the board."

Cartwright has admitted the loss of Campbell is a big blow for the Titans as the livewire fullback was starting to form a lethal combination with halfback Scott Prince, who will go head-to-head with Kangaroos No.7 Thurston on Monday.

Thurston is certain to partner Queensland captain Darren Lockyer in the halves for the opening Origin clash with NSW in Brisbane on May 23 but at least Prince can reinforce the point to Maroons selectors that he's knocking on the door.

Country back-rower Anthony Laffranchi will play with a broken nose at Carrara, where the Titans remain undefeated this year.

Cowboys enforcer Carl Webb makes his comeback from a broken jaw suffered five weeks ago to press his Queensland Origin claims but coach Graham Murray is yet to reveal whether the bulldozing prop will start the game.

A victory for the Titans will give them bragging rights over their rival Queensland NRL teams following their thrashing of Brisbane in round five.
Source: AAP

Darren Lockyer
09-05-07, 08:16 AM
i think he had a great game on the weekend

quins rl
09-05-07, 11:20 AM
i think he had a great game on the weekend
Yeah,i thought he had a good,solid all round game in what was at times dreadful conditions.Richie needs a few games now to get used to the intensity and get match fitness up to first grade standard and im sure he will kick on from there.

ozynorts
09-05-07, 04:24 PM
he was solid for his first game. needs time to adjust to the NRL but offers a lot to the team. opposition won't be able to target him the same way that they could presto ie bombs and big wingers.

patskE
19-05-07, 05:34 PM
hasnt done much wrong
but jsut wanted to say i think he needs to get more involved, just coming up into the line, supporting forwards n being ready for the ofload

lonegull
21-05-07, 07:35 AM
lacking confidence at the moment played a different game in england, seems to be a bit stand offish

patskE
25-05-07, 09:48 PM
Mathers must make an impact: Cartwright

Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:51 PM

It's time for English import Richie Mathers to make an impact for the Gold Coast.

That's the message from Titans coach John Cartwright on the eve of his team's NRL clash with fellow strugglers South Sydney at Carrara.

In the Titans' past three games, former Leeds fullback Mathers has filled the void left by regular No.1 Preston Campbell, who injured his knee during the City-Country Origin match in Coffs Harbour three weeks ago.

Mathers has been solid but lacked the attacking penetration of Campbell, who's been sorely missed during Gold Coast's losses to North Queensland, Sydney Roosters and St George Illawarra.

There's no doubt the absence of the electrifying Campbell, due back on June 17 against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown, has hurt the 12th-placed Titans.

"It's affected us," Cartwright told AAP.

"You lose a bloke who's in form and doing well and then it takes a bit of time to get the new bloke (Mathers) educated.

"It's a double whammy but every side goes through it and we're working hard."

Cartwright says it's been a tough initiation into the NRL for Mathers but added it's time for the 23-year-old to make a statement.

"He's with a whole new side learning new plays, new calls and players' little idiosyncracies," the coach noted.

"It's very tough. He's in a pivotal role but he's very safe and that's all I've asked him to do.

"It's getting to the stage now where he's got to make an impact."

The Titans welcome back NSW Origin prop Luke Bailey, who will be backing up three days after the Blues' 25-18 loss to Queensland at Suncorp Stadium.

"He'll want to play," Cartwright said. "Once he's on the field he'll give his all.

"Mentally you don't know how much it means when he's not out there."

Titans co-captain Prince said defence had been the focus at training this week after the Titans missed a massive 58 tackles in their 28-10 loss to the Dragons.

"You just can't win football games when you're missing that many tackles," the halfback said.

"That's something we need to work on, and our attacking calls and plays.

"We seem to be a little bit lost when we're in opposition territory."

Prince admitted his team's confidence was being sapped with every loss.

"We need to win," he said. "When you're losing games it takes that little bit of confidence and self-belief out of the side.

"We're doing some good things. It's just a matter of putting it all together in a good 80 minute performance."

Cartwright has identified "slippery" halves Jeremy Smith and Joe Williams, co-captains Peter Cusack and Roy Asotasi and back-rowers David Fa'alogo and Dean Widders as the dangermen for Souths, who are coming off a bye after losing four of their past five matches.

The Rabbitohs have lost interchange player Shane Rigon to a groin injury, with coach Jason Taylor replacing him with Stuart Webb.
Source: AAP

Dakink
26-05-07, 11:05 AM
Placing pressure on his shoulders is a good ploy - the good players stand up when put under pressure.

If he wants to make it in the NRL he needs to be able to accept and thrive under pressure.

squirrell
28-05-07, 09:19 AM
I thought mathers was great on saturday.He looks very safe and i have no nervousness with him in defence,and finally he got involved a lot in attack.I watched him off the ball at carrara and was impressed with his running and calling on plays.I feel when he hits his straps theres a few tries in him,go richie.

mr jemo
28-05-07, 11:27 AM
maybe he will replace samua

Steve
28-05-07, 12:45 PM
It's a bit tough for him, he's played well, but certainly not enough to keep Preston out of the 1.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets a wing spot or if Webster makes it back into the top grade.

Coaster
28-05-07, 02:46 PM
I would say he will go into the centers replacing Delenay.

My final backline would look like this

1. Preston
2. Walker
3. Mathers
4. Rogers
5. Peterson/ Webster
6. Lewis
7. Prince

dee13
30-05-07, 08:42 PM
Sorry guys but I was hoping for Richies sake cos he is a really nice guy, but, Richie probably wouldn't make it in to my top 17 team. He is a great player and talent, but there are greater players than him in his desired positions. Its actually a real compliment to the recruitment of the Titans that a player such as Richie wouldn't make the run on team.

patskE
31-05-07, 12:46 PM
nah dee i rkn ur right man
but his a better player then wat he has shown
his just finding his feet
give him a few weeks in the qld cup n he will be banging on carty door i rkn
but atm he prob shouldnt be put infront of deleany, his been playing good footy, dont put odwyer their ethier, i rkn his holding his place tbh

coldhardbitch
06-06-07, 04:49 PM
I felt Mathers had his best gamde out here last week. I think Carty should keep him in the team, at centre or wing when Preston gets back.

patskE
06-06-07, 05:17 PM
onyl spot i rkn he could fill is center
but deleany has done nothing wrong

Tamwelg
06-06-07, 07:56 PM
Leave Ritchie at fullback and use Preston as a bench impact player.

dee13
06-06-07, 08:11 PM
Brett Delaney probably would't make my top 17 either. Whilst he has done no wrong, The centres need to be impact players. eg Ettingshausen, Meninga, Matt Cooper, Gene Miles, Renouf or Paul Bowman. I find him sluggish in attack.

Tamwelg
06-06-07, 09:39 PM
Brett Delaney probably would't make my top 17 either. Whilst he has done no wrong, The centres need to be impact players. eg Ettingshausen, Meninga, Matt Cooper, Gene Miles, Renouf or Paul Bowman. I find him sluggish in attack.

I kind of agree, looked good early, but has been sluggish, who would you suggest in his place? Maybe Walker in the centers and Samau and Peterson on the wings.

Coaster
06-06-07, 09:50 PM
Walker is a winger.

We have guys like
Mathers
O'Dwyer
Myles
who could fit in nicely

patskE
06-06-07, 10:23 PM
feel slack if odwyer gets his spot
he came from parra casue he keeped him in 2nd devision, now it might happen again
walker has been playing center for the jets i think
him, webster n rogers, we will have speed to burn!