PDA

View Full Version : Matterson leaves Raiders to coach in UK

Super Cronk
08-11-05, 01:11 PM
anberra Raiders assistant coach Terry Matterson has been appointed head coach of English Super League club Castleford Tigers.

Matterson, who played one State of Origin match for NSW in 1989, will commence his two year term within the next month.

It will be the former Brisbane Broncos forward's second stint in Super League after captaining the London Broncos in the late 1990s.

Matterson, who played more than 240 first-grade matches for the two Broncos clubs, was a member of the Brisbane Broncos grand final-winning teams in 1992 and 1993.

The 38-year-old said he was extremely grateful to the Canberra Raiders for releasing him from his 2006 contract to accept the Castleford offer.

"Matty Elliott (Canberra Raiders head coach) has always been extremely supportive, as has the whole club, in helping me advance my coaching career," he said.

Castleford Tigers chief executive Richard Wright said: "The coming season marks our promotion back into Super League and we felt that Terry was the best qualified person to provide the level of leadership and coaching knowledge that will underpin our future."

SMH.com.au

DeeGan
08-11-05, 01:18 PM
Congrats to Terry Matterson :clap:

He has a mighty task ahead of him though I wish him all the best. Without any Australian arrogance here, the more Australians coaching at Super League level the better for the english game.

A couple of season at Castleford learning the ropes as a first grade coach and then back to replace Wayne Bennett?

DeeGan

Dakink
08-11-05, 02:00 PM
Congrats to Terry Matterson :clap:

He has a mighty task ahead of him though I wish him all the best. Without any Australian arrogance here, the more Australians coaching at Super League level the better for the english game.

A couple of season at Castleford learning the ropes as a first grade coach and then back to replace Wayne Bennett?

DeeGan

Interesting thoughts there DeeGan....

Not the last we will see of Matterson over here I can assure you of that. Will be back in some coaching capacity - future Maroon anyone????

ridgey
08-11-05, 05:23 PM
Interesting thoughts there DeeGan....

Not the last we will see of Matterson over here I can assure you of that. Will be back in some coaching capacity - future Maroon anyone????

can't see that happening he's a new south welshman.
a position at the broncos more likely.

Green Machine
08-11-05, 09:11 PM
Good on You Raiders for not holding him back on his career. He's been a big assest and im sure he will do well.