PDA

View Full Version : QLD: Israel Falou in Origin discussion

Queenslander
28-03-07, 06:19 PM
Meninga-like Falou in Origin discussion

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 4:13 PM

Comparisons are already being made between strapping Melbourne Storm teenager Israel Folau and former Queensland and Australian rugby league legend Mal Meninga.

But Meninga - who still owns the record for the most Origin appearances with 32 - says the 17-year-old, already in Origin discussions after just two NRL games, is a far more awesome sight than he was when he started in senior ranks.

"He's stronger and bigger than me when I started out," said Meninga.

Queensland selector Gene Miles can see similarities between the 97kg Falou and a young Meninga.

"You could compare them, couldn't you, he's a raw-boned 17-year-old," said Miles, who partnered Meninga in the Maroons centres many times during his own 20 Origin appearances.

Of Tongan descent and born in Sydney, Folau has declared he wants to play Origin football for Queensland, following the path of his Storm teammate, Bowraville (NSW) born Greg Inglis, who made his interstate debut last year as a 19-year-old.

He played Under 16s and 19s for Queensland last year, the first player to do so in the same year since former Brisbane forward Allan Cann in the 1980s.

Both Meninga and Miles believe he'll play Origin and neither rules out the possibility he'll surpass Ben Ikin as the youngest player for either state.

"It's a bit like Greg (Inglis) last year," Meninga told AAP.

"If you're good enough you should come into calculations even at that age.

"He's a kid who can win a game in their air for you, both in attack and defensively.

"He just needs a bit more confidence about what he does because he's a big fellow.

"We've got a fair depth in our outside backs but his time will come."

While Inglis was only a teenager when picked last year, Meninga said he displayed a lot of self belief.

"If Israel can have the same sort of traits there's no reason why he can't get selected for Origin at his age," said Meninga.

Miles agreed Folau had all the physical attributes to be a blockbusting player.

"He just looks like an athlete," said Miles, renowned for running over rivals and his magnificent off-loading skills.

"Wing has obviously been a troubled position for us in the last few years.

"I've only seen Folau play two games but he looks a rare talent in the making.

"You know he's well coached and you know Craig Bellamy won't let him get carried away with his efforts."

Meninga allayed fears national team custodian Karmichael Hunt could jeopardise his Origin fullback jumper by playing halfback for the Broncos.

Queensland have an abundance of fullbacks with Hunt, Inglis, Billy Slater and Matt Bowen all candidates.

"There's no reason Karmichael can't play fullback even if he is playing halfback for Brisbane.

"As long as he is playing well and playing with a lot of confidence which you need under the high ball."

Meninga said Queensland had to pick its best 17 players first.

"Most players are very versatile these days," he said.

"Greg (Inglis) is a great example, you want him in your 17.

"But he's playing five-eighth for Melbourne, so does that mean you leave Darren Lockyer out?"

Source: AAP

Steel Dragon
29-03-07, 12:23 AM
I thought Origin was about allowing players to play for the state they come from. It seems Queensland don't mind bending this rule to suit themselves - again and again (Craig Smith, Adrian Lam, Tonie Carroll, Greg Inglis, Matt Rogers - and now Folau). It seems in order to qualify for Queensland "origin" one must have at least once in ones life have thought about travelling to Queensland.

Jason

Steve
29-03-07, 07:58 AM
. It seems in order to qualify for Queensland "origin" one must have at least once in ones life have thought about travelling to Queensland.

Haha, spot on.

One way to solve the controversy that goes on with rep football selection.
Play for the place you were born.

I believe to be eligible for a state you have to have played your first football there or something.
Technically Tony Puletua should be eligible for NSW. Sure, he was born in, and plays for, NZ. But his family moved when he was 2 or 3, played all his junior football out Penrith way.

I'm just sick of hearing someone is eligible for somewhere because his grandmother once met some guy who dated a girl who's uncle's dog's breeder had third cousin who married someone from the country.

Future Star
30-03-07, 06:22 PM
QLD should only go for Falou if their are injurys, imo.
Don't risk it.

Go_The_Doggies
30-03-07, 08:44 PM
I thought Origin was about allowing players to play for the state they come from. It seems Queensland don't mind bending this rule to suit themselves - again and again (Craig Smith, Adrian Lam, Tonie Carroll, Greg Inglis, Matt Rogers - and now Folau). It seems in order to qualify for Queensland "origin" one must have at least once in ones life have thought about travelling to Queensland.

Jason

Lol gold.
Don't forget Brad Thorn.
Hes been from League to Union and back again.
He is just as bad as Tonie Carroll imo, playing for NZ in one sport, and for Australia in another.

Darren Lockyer
02-04-07, 09:30 AM
I think Israel is a good player but we already have a lot of players that are already established. Hunt should play fullback, Inglis should play centre or wing.
My origin 17
1. K. Hunt
2. B. Tate
3. G. Inglis
4. J. Hodges
5. M. Bowen
6. D Lockyer (C)
7. J Thurston
8. A Kaufusi
9. C. Smith
10. P. Civonoceiva
11.C. Webb
12.B. Thorn
13.T carroll

Interchange
14. S. Berrigan
15. M. Crocker
16. M Scott
17. D Johnson

Poida
02-04-07, 09:31 AM

Jason

Its not just where they were born.
You can have played your first football in one of the states to qualify for it.

Poida
02-04-07, 09:32 AM
I think Israel is a good player but we already have a lot of players that are already established. Hunt should play fullback, Inglis should play centre or wing.
My origin 17
1. K. Hunt
2. B. Tate
3. G. Inglis
4. J. Hodges
5. M. Bowen
6. D Lockyer (C)
7. J Thurston
8. A Kaufusi
9. C. Smith
10. P. Civonoceiva
11.C. Webb
12.B. Thorn
13.T carroll

Interchange
14. S. Berrigan
15. M. Crocker
16. M Scott
17. D Johnson
Hunt hasnt been playing good enough football just yet to warrant a Qld spot.
He will need to lift this week.

DeeGan
02-04-07, 10:02 AM
Folau is future representative, I would take not of the call from Billy Slater and plead for selectors to be patient with the 17 y.o. prodigy.

The backline selection is open and Folau is behind in the pecking order with ONLY three games to his name - let's keep that in mind.

DIEHARD
02-04-07, 01:14 PM
Just as long as Hunt doesn't get into the team.

They need to lay off Folau and let him find his feet in the NRL first.

DeeGan
02-04-07, 01:34 PM
Just as long as Hunt doesn't get into the team.

They need to lay off Folau and let him find his feet in the NRL first.

The incumbent Australian fullback would not make your team?

I thought he showed in his one game for QLD and six Tests that he was more than up to playing at the elite level.

If he is fit, I think he has the jump on Bowen, Slater and Wesser.

Rabbitohs-07
02-04-07, 01:34 PM
One of the best wingers at the moment if he continues this form put him in. Makes him available for the australian side at the end of the year aswell.

Capital_Shark
02-04-07, 01:57 PM
And which established first grader with Origin experience do you drop for the 17yr old with a dozen games under his belt?

Falou has shown A LOT of inexperience in his few games, but stuff that'll obviously come good with time, time which he can be afforded in first grade due to the show stopping back line he plays in.

Future Star
02-04-07, 06:33 PM
One of the best wingers at the moment if he continues this form put him in. Makes him available for the australian side at the end of the year aswell.

No aussie games at the end of the year...

Darren Lockyer
02-04-07, 06:35 PM
The incumbent Australian fullback would not make your team?

I thought he showed in his one game for QLD and six Tests that he was more than up to playing at the elite level.

If he is fit, I think he has the jump on Bowen, Slater and Wesser.

He defininitely has the jump on wesser but bowen and slater are in red hot form

Poida
02-04-07, 06:40 PM
I think Falou needs to at least have a full season experience under his belt before he could play Origin.

Old Diehard
02-04-07, 07:00 PM
Its not just where they were born.
You can have played your first football in one of the states to qualify for it.

Spot on ---Also Queensland didn't make these rules (The ARL did!).. And if you want to drop names of players picked to play for States they weren't born in---Michael O'Connor- some of you may remember he kicked NSW to a series win at State of Origin at Lang Park in the rain (actually he played Union for Qld & Australia from here but his first game of League was in Sydney), Mat Rodgers may not have been born here but his Dad , Steve (god he was talented!)was!

And wait until we see the drain of Queensland kids to NSW with this Colts Comp next year ( because believe it or not as their is more clubs based in NSW than Qld and the NSW club scouts will need to grab players younger for this comp than in the past after all it may be U20's but most players will be signed at 14 & 15 years of age on a contact if they have potential) but I ownly hope they taste U16's level first up here or school reps otherwise they will qualify for NSW even though they are born here!

Tamwelg
08-04-07, 10:04 PM
Folau is future representative, I would take not of the call from Billy Slater and plead for selectors to be patient with the 17 y.o. prodigy.

The backline selection is open and Folau is behind in the pecking order with ONLY three games to his name - let's keep that in mind.

Where part of me agrees with this, the of part of me is saying, he has played 4 games now and WOW what great talent let's get him in there. I think I will sit on the fence and be happy with either decision.

Robbie_Dee
08-04-07, 10:31 PM
Folau is a try scoring machine, but all in easy situations. Basically catching a pass and strolling over the try line, and jumping up, catching it in mid air, and putting it down... Personally I haven't seen him make a decent line break or play yet...but his time will come! He turned 18 the other day, so still very early days! I look forward to watching him dominate rep footy in a few years time!!!

Casey's Angel27
09-04-07, 10:18 AM
Hey has also done a few try saving tackles too.

Steel Dragon
09-04-07, 12:55 PM
Old Diehard: I know the rule as it stands. But I strongly disagree with it. If you are born in one state and live there till you're 16, I cannot see how the other state can be called your State of "origin". It's even worse if it happens to be another country. I can understand more if a player is born in one state but moves to the other when they are very young (ala Peter Sterling). And right at this point in time, the silly rules in place are clearly benefitting one state over the other - Queensland. And I thought Queenslanders abhorred one state getting an unfair advantage - guess they only abhor it when it's them being disadvantaged.

Jason

Old Diehard
09-04-07, 08:17 PM
Nope! A silly rule could cost us more than NSW because as I said younsters from here are likely to move south to play in this NRL Colts/U20's comp.

Greg Inglis was spotted at age 14, billetted with a well known family associated with Rugby League up here, West Panthers actually as most of the family came from Paddington in Brisbane , (and were well known in the Indigenous community also).. As a result of this he doesn't comply under the current rules..
as I said we stand to lose more simply due to the no. of team in NSW as it's more likely a kid will be required to move there in the future than we bring kids up here..

BUT kids born outside OZ - that's tough! As a stack of new talent learn in Rugby League here in OZ are Pacific Islanders (probably also qualifying for NZ also), it that case let them decide who they want to play for! Hazim El- Magic - not sure were he was born but hell he's a c!@kie!

And yeah didn't think of Peter Sterling because I always considered him a
c!@ie anyway ( being born in Toowoomba doesn't make you a Queenslander! you have to feel for the place!) .Actually I think Greg Inglis does! Seems he liked his time at Wavell High School
Like I am with Sydney!Couldn't never see myself as a local there even if you paid me!
Sorry the word bleeped out was short for ****aroach.

mr jemo
10-04-07, 02:35 PM
would youse honestly like to see matty bowen or wesser marking the likes of matt king and luke rooney on the flanks come on give the kid a chance if not now maybe in a year or two my two wingers this year would be chris walker n karmicheal hunt providing bowen is still in fine form

Steelers
10-04-07, 02:54 PM
Honestly, if I saw this kid picked in the QLD side this year, I would feel very annoyed and disappointed. I don't think he deserves it yet, no matter how well he has played/plays this season. There are blokes who have been playing for season after season striving for the spot that deserve it more, and to see it given to someone so young instead, would devalue the honour IMO. He will play eventually, probably will play alot of games, but not yet.

Old Diehard
10-04-07, 09:07 PM
Israel Falou is still a kid - actually I was expecting him to play Qld Cup at Norths this year, so like David Taylor, don't rush him into playing against older hard heads at State of Origin level just yet! Give him a year or two! As for Queensland, we are currently blessed with more outside backs and full backs than you can poke a stick at! In fact where are you going to fit them all in to QLD side. All I can say is Greg Inglis (my first pick and then pick a possie for him), Carmichael Hunt, Matt Bowen, Billy the kid , and you know that bloke Walker from the Titans (may have had a touch of the mug lair awhile ago- but) he's a goer![/B] Dead set glad I'm not a selector! Those damn cochroaches won't know what hit em... Only shame is I see O'Donnell & Webb are unavailable!
So pick Kaufusi ( yeah I know [B]he was born overseas!, but hell his family are in Bundeberg and he went to Nudgee College- that's Queensland enough for me!).. Hell I'm prepared to classify him as a Queenslander born and breed and buy him a beer at the Bagara Beach Hotel just to show it!
Dallas Johnson works for me also in the forwards to replace the 2 cowboys!

Darren Lockyer
11-04-07, 05:30 PM
Israel Falou is still a kid - actually I was expecting him to play Qld Cup at Norths this year, so like David Taylor, don't rush him into playing against older hard heads at State of Origin level just yet! Give him a year or two! As for Queensland, we are currently blessed with more outside backs and full backs than you can poke a stick at! In fact where are you going to fit them all in to QLD side. All I can say is Greg Inglis (my first pick and then pick a possie for him), Carmichael Hunt, Matt Bowen, Billy the kid , and you know that bloke Walker from the Titans (may have had a touch of the mug lair awhile ago- but) he's a goer![/B] Dead set glad I'm not a selector! Those damn cochroaches won't know what hit em... Only shame is I see O'Donnell & Webb are unavailable!
So pick Kaufusi ( yeah I know [B]he was born overseas!, but hell his family are in Bundeberg and he went to Nudgee College- that's Queensland enough for me!).. Hell I'm prepared to classify him as a Queenslander born and breed and buy him a beer at the Bagara Beach Hotel just to show it!
Dallas Johnson works for me also in the forwards to replace the 2 cowboys!

That sums it up for me. Antonio kafusi has played for australia so he will play for queensland

DIEHARD
11-04-07, 06:14 PM
O'Donnell is a blue.

Coaster
11-04-07, 06:32 PM
Qld could pick 2 great SOO sides

eg: in no order

side 1:
1 Hunt
2 Falou
3 Hodges
4 Inglis
5 Slater
6 Lockyer
7 Prince
8 Petro
9 Smith
10 Carlaw
11 Thorn
12 Crocker
13 Carroll

side 2:

1 Bowen
2 Walker
3 Tate
4 Bell
5 Wesser
6 Thurston
7 Cronk
8 Kafusie
9 Berrigan
10 Price
11 Thaiday
12 Myles
13 DallasJohnson

still leaving out guys like, Ross, Webb, Stagg, Rogers, Myers, Bowman, Hannay, Flannery, PJ Marsh, who all have played SOO

Things look good

Old Diehard
11-04-07, 06:36 PM
Oops O'Donnell is a blue!~ Poor bugger! (still he lives in the right part of Auatralia).
Lovely place to visit NSW but ya just wouldn't want to live there ( Northern Rivers excepted and I'ld be happy to see the border moved to cover that area- so would they according to my mate in South Lismore!). Lets hold a referendum!

Old Diehard
11-04-07, 06:43 PM
Qld could pick 2 great SOO sides

eg: in no order

side 1:
1 Hunt
2 Falou
3 Hodges
4 Inglis
5 Slater
6 Lockyer
7 Prince
8 Petro
9 Smith
10 Carlaw
11 Thorn
12 Crocker
13 Carroll

side 2:

1 Bowen
2 Walker
3 Tate
4 Bell
5 Wesser
6 Thurston
7 Cronk
8 Kafusie
9 Berrigan
10 Price
11 Thaiday
12 Myles
13 DallasJohnson

still leaving out guys like, Ross, Webb, Stagg, Rogers, Myers, Bowman, Hannay, Flannery, PJ Marsh, who all have played SOO

Things look good

Yeah I like your backs in side 1 and your forwards in side 2 except Petro should also be in that second pack---but you know the talent you listed is the strongest I've seen Qld in years...Also the fact that the Broncos are premiers, The Cowboys are top of the ladder, The Storm ( with their player list) are a defacto Qld side and now the Titans giving Queenslanders more opportunity , our State of Origin side is looking better than ever! Bet you the FOG'S are laughing! (except now I see Matty Bowen in side 2 backs- damn how you leave him out- WE ARE DEAD LUCKY!)

Darren Lockyer
11-04-07, 09:09 PM
i love the backs in side one

Coaster
11-04-07, 09:39 PM
Yeah I like your backs in side 1 and your forwards in side 2 except Petro should also be in that second pack---but you know the talent you listed is the strongest I've seen Qld in years...Also the fact that the Broncos are premiers, The Cowboys are top of the ladder, The Storm ( with their player list) are a defacto Qld side and now the Titans giving Queenslanders more opportunity , our State of Origin side is looking better than ever! Bet you the FOG'S are laughing! (except now I see Matty Bowen in side 2 backs- damn how you leave him out- WE ARE DEAD LUCKY!)

I know we could hold an awesome match, just between those 2 side and get full houses every game.

Lets kick NSW out of the SOO series all together. LOL