View Full Version : Round 3: Bulldogs vs Gold Coast Titans

Titanium_BD1103
26-03-07, 08:26 PM
Bulldogs Vs Gold Coast Titans
Sunday 1st April, 2:00 pm; Telstra Stadium, Sydney

Referee: Gavin Badger

Team Notes:

Bulldogs

Steve Folkes has made one change to the side to meet the Titans this Sunday at Telstra Stadium as part of the Bulldogs Legends Week celebrations.

Corey Hughes returns from an ankle injury that he incurred in round one. Adam Perry drops back to Premier League.

Luke Patten will run out for his 150th game for the Bulldogs this Sunday (149 First Grade, 1 World Club Challenge), while captain Andrew Ryan will make his 100th appearance for the Club (99 First Grade, 1 Premier League).

Supporters attending the game this Sunday will be treated to an historical first when over 200 players from the Berries and Bulldogs first grade sides will march onto Telstra Stadium as part of the Bulldogs? Legend?s Week festivities.
Titans

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright has named an unchanged line up for Sundays NRL clash against the Bulldogs in Sydney.

Brad Meyers has been included on an extended bench after recovering from a pre-season ankle injury.

The squad will depart from the Jetstar terminal at Gold Coast Airport at 2.00pm on Saturday afternoon, with the match scheduled for 2.00pm on Sunday.

Teams:

http://i5.tinypic.com/2la7rcy.jpg

Bulldogs

1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Daryl Millard
4. Willie Tonga
5. Trent Cutler
6. Daniel Holdsworth
7. Ben Roberts
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Corey Hughes
10. Willie Mason
11. Nick Kouparitsas
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. Reni Maitua
Interchange:

14. Dallas McIlwain
15. Chris Armit
16. Kane Cleal
17. Jarrad Hickey

http://i9.tinypic.com/4c2z80z.jpg

Titans

1. Preston Campbell
2. Lelea Paea
3. Mat Rogers
4. Jake Webster
5. Matthew Petersen
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Kris Kahler
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Gavin Cooper
13. Luke Swain
Interchange:

14. Josh Graham
15. Michael Henderson
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Nathan Friend
20. Brad Meyers
(one to be omitted)

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information***

DeeGan
26-03-07, 10:26 PM
I will be at Telstra Stadium - looking forward to it. Unfortunately Sonny-Bill won't be playing though.

Who would have thought, the Bulldogs come in to the match on 0pts.

Capital_Shark
26-03-07, 10:35 PM
My initial thoughts are Titans, judging on the previous week.

Although if the Titans have a weakness, I reckon its in the forwards, and if the Doggies have a strength I reckon its in the same place, so it should be a cracker of a game. Certainly a tough one to pick, but I hope the Titans take it, cause seeing the Dogs 3-0 down would be be lovely.

Titanium_BD1103
26-03-07, 11:33 PM
My initial thoughts are Titans, judging on the previous week.

Although if the Titans have a weakness, I reckon its in the forwards, and if the Doggies have a strength I reckon its in the same place, so it should be a cracker of a game. Certainly a tough one to pick, but I hope the Titans take it, cause seeing the Dogs 3-0 down would be be lovely.

Should be interesting that is for sure CS... :)

I reckon the Bulldogs will come out firing for this one... there is nothing like being 0 from 2 to get a side like the Doggies fired up, not to mention first home game of the season and the legends parade that is going to happen, it's going to be a big day.

I can assure you that the Titans though will also give a big fight and they won't make this easy... I hope for a good game and a nice start at home for the Dogs... but I also hope the Titans give us a game, which I am sure will happen.... :D :D

Can't wait for Sunday, should be an awesome event... :)

patskE
27-03-07, 02:13 AM
are forwards for more of a defensive pack i rkn
i rkn we win this but more then 13 i rkn, thats wat i am putting money on
if presto is 5/8 he be motm if not baily or prince

if presto stays at fb he be bombed away, sharks didnt really bomb him, i rkn folks will notice that n do it all night to him

anyway cant wait for see the titans colours 1st hand
but i hvnt got any titans gear yet :( no dosh atm to get anyhting :( killing me
cya sunday boys

Queenslander
27-03-07, 01:07 PM
Wake-up call stirs Bulldogs

By Daniel Pace
March 27, 2007
LUKE Patten has accused Bulldogs teammates of letting pre-season hype over the team's NRL premiership chances get to their heads.

The Bulldogs are equal third favourites to win the 2007 title despite a disastrous start to the season with losses to Newcastle and Penrith.

TAB Sportsbet lists the Bulldogs at $8 to win the competition, equal with Manly but behind Melbourne ($4.50) and North Queensland ($7).

Patten said today he is still hurting from last Friday's "embarrassing" 40-10 thrashing by the Panthers at CUA Stadium.

"I hope everyone's hurting - I definitely am," said the veteran fullback.
"It was embarrassing and un-Bulldog-like and it's not good enough for the start of the year.

"I'm hoping we have a hard week of training. All the talk of us being favourites in the pre-season hasn't helped.

"Maybe some people let that get to their head a bit. Maybe it's just the sort of wake-up call we needed.

"If we have a good week at training you'll definitely see a different Bulldogs performance on the weekend."

After losing key forwards Roy Asotasi (Souths) and Nate Myles (Sydney Roosters) at the end of last year, Patten said the Bulldogs didn't deserve to be tagged among premiership favourites in the pre-season.

"We've still got some young blokes in first grade who are finding their feet," he said.

"I know we've got all the big names like (Willie) Mason and Sonny Bill (Williams), but names don't win you footy games. It's people out there having a big dig as well.

"I definitely don't think we should be premiership favourites.
"We're definitely going to be challenging for the title but I'd rather us come under the radar a little bit more."

Patten warned the Gold Coast Titans to expect a backlash from the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

The Titans will be on a high after notching their first premiership win last night, coming from behind to edge out Cronulla 18-16 in a Carrara thriller.

"They're coming off a big Monday night of football and they're up against us who have lost two in a row," said Patten.

"It's probably not a good time to meet us. Over the last few years we've prided ourselves on bouncing back from losses so this week will be no different."
The Bulldogs will again be without Sonny Bill Williams who does not return until round four after his send off and suspension for a high shot on Newcastle captain Andrew Johns in the opening minutes of the season.

The Cowboys have rocketed into premiership favouritism on the back of impressive wins over Brisbane and the Roosters, and the devastating form of skipper Johnathan Thurston and dynamic fullback Matt Bowen.

But Patten noted that last year North Queensland won its opening six matches before collapsing in a heap.

"As weird as it sounds, I'd rather be having a couple of losses and not be playing that great at the start of the year than doing that at the end of the year," he said.

"It is a long season. It's not panic stations for us by a long shot but we definitely need to improve."

AAP

Coaster
27-03-07, 01:16 PM
Pattern trying to convince himself or us?

There is never a good time to meet any team in this competition.

You either turn up to play, or you get flogged.

This game will be a good test for our forwards, but after the way our forwards handled the big Panthers pack, im looking forward to the contest.

Titans need to utilise a similar game plan to what the Cowboys use against the Dogs, with Preston sniffing around the middle looking for offloads.

Queenslander
27-03-07, 03:02 PM
Bulldogs' Hughes returns against Titans

Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has made one change to the side to meet the Titans this Sunday at Telstra Stadium as part of the Bulldogs Legends Week celebrations.

1862 Corey Hughes returns from an ankle injury that he incurred in round one. Adam Perry drops back to Premier League.

1. Luke Patten
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Daryl Millard
4. Willie Tonga
5. Trent Cutler
6. Daniel Holdsworth
7. Ben Roberts
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Corey Hughes
10. Willie Mason
11. Nick Kouparitsas
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. Reni Maitua

Interchange:
14. Dallas McIlwain
15. Chris Armit
16. Kane Cleal
17. Jarrad Hickey

Fullback Luke Patten will run out for his 150th game for the Bulldogs this Sunday (149 First Grade, 1 World Club Challenge), while captain Andrew Ryan will make his 100th appearance for the Club (99 First Grade, 1 Premier League).

Supporters attending the game this Sunday will be treated to an historical first when over 200 players from the Berries and Bulldogs first grade sides will march onto Telstra Stadium as part of the Bulldogs? Legend?s Week festivities.

Source: www.bulldogs.com.au

[BroncosGirl]
27-03-07, 03:22 PM
To be honest, this is such a hard one to tip.

The Dogs are on rough ground at hte moment, with a rocky start, and its hard to know which dogs will show up?

Whilst the Titans have won one, they're still playing some inconsistent footy, which is to be expected, once again, who knows what will turn up?

Difficult.

Go_The_Doggies
27-03-07, 03:33 PM
Beware of the wounded Dog :)

The Bulldogs will come out wanting a win this round.

I hope we do!

Should be a very interesting game!

Also congrats to Bobcat and Luke Patten! :D

Queenslander
27-03-07, 03:43 PM
Titans team:

1. Preston Campbell
2. Lelea Paea
3. Mat Rogers
4. Jake Webster
5. Matthew Petersen
6. Matthew Hilder
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Clint Amos
10. Kris Kahler
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Gavin Cooper
13. Luke Swain

Subs:
14. Josh Graham
15. Michael Henderson
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Nathan Friend
20. Brad Meyers
(one to be omitted)

Robbie_Dee
27-03-07, 03:54 PM
This will be a cracker of a game! I am gunna tip the Titans with Bulldogs bad form of late.

This game is going to be televised on channel 9 Sundee arvo i take it?

DeeGan
27-03-07, 05:25 PM
As expected, Carty stuck with the winning side looking for more continuity which will only by keeping the core unit together as much as possible form warranting.

Titanium_BD1103
27-03-07, 05:25 PM
Not sure Robbie Dee... hopefully it will... maybe I can get on TV... :p

Nah seriously Congrats to The General and Bobcat on those amazing milestones, true troopers of the club and although they weren't always ours from the juniors, we have adopted them as our own and it will be a proud moment to see them run out on Sunday... lets hope the team can get a win for them... :)

Good to see Hughes is back, as much as I like Nugget, Hughes offers a few more options and will provide stability to the likes of Benny and DJ. I reckon I agree with Kim on this one.. beware of the wounded Bulldog.... ;)

patskE
27-03-07, 05:27 PM
wats word on mathers?
i wanan see him play!

Chaos
27-03-07, 06:27 PM
Looking forward to see big Brad Myers have a run...he'll be tested against this bunch.
I'll be suprised if our run on forward pack will handle the Bulldogs pack this weekend.

TITAN PETE
27-03-07, 07:07 PM
Patten is saying what he wants the Bulldogs supporters to hear, just remember that no one will give us a chance in this game but us so if the Titans can match them in the forwards we are far better in the halves then they are & i'm glad they are helping us out by leaving Sherwin in Premier league.

Titanium_BD1103
27-03-07, 08:24 PM
Patten is saying what he wants the Bulldogs supporters to hear, just remember that no one will give us a chance in this game but us so if the Titans can match them in the forwards we are far better in the halves then they are & i'm glad they are helping us out by leaving Sherwin in Premier league.

Actually mate, it's the complete opposite... all the Bulldogs fans on the Kennel reckon they are going to be lapped by the GC, the media down here think the Titans and make it one up and it's surprisingly, although deservingly the blue and whites who are the underdogs with those in the know.

I however have seen this too many times before to say this is doom and gloom before a whistle has blown, it should be a great game, but as I said in a previous post, beware of the wounded Dog... this has happened too often now for me not to know what might be coming next.

Steve
27-03-07, 09:18 PM
Bulldogs are never an easy team to beat. They'll be a big challenge for our forward pack!
The Panthers showed just how quickly a team's form can turn around, so there's nothing definite in this game.
I think the Titans are slowly improving, while the dogs are more experienced playing as a unit and can easily turn the form around in one game.
I still think Titans will win, of course!

jake86
27-03-07, 10:05 PM
If our forwards can match theirs...I like our chances. But that will be a huge challenge.

Any word on Mathers? I thought he was due back this round

Wolfpak
28-03-07, 08:41 PM
I am SO looking forward to this game! This is the game I have waited for since my decision to become a Titans supporter! As some of you will know (and even more of you after reading this post hehe) I was a Bulldogs/Berries supporter for over 30 years, until mid-2004 season. So naturally I can't wait to see my new team play my old team! And just so there is no mistake here, just so we are all perfectly clear where my loyalties lie:

GO THE TITANS!!!!!!
(you have to highlight it hehe)

I can't wait to see the Titans kick the Dogs all over Telstra Stadium!

Boofhead
28-03-07, 08:59 PM
Do us proud Sydney siders!

Will keep a close eye on the away team section! :)

Queenslander
30-03-07, 04:10 PM
http://www.titans.com.au/images/articles/cropped/070219120917-ULT_6872.jpg

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will assemble at the Jetstar departure terminal at Gold Coast Airport from 1.30pm tomorrow, Saturday 31st March prior flying out to Sydney in preparation for Sundays round three NRL Telstra Premiership match against the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium.

Coach John Cartwright, Football Manager Scott Sattler and Co Captains Scott Prince & Luke Bailey will be available for media interviews and photographs. Fans can cheer out the team as they embark on the Jetstar flight to Sydney for their first away game.

www.titans.com.au

Social Loafer
30-03-07, 04:45 PM
Does anybody else here think Kahler would be better suited to the second row?
Seems to get dominated a fair bit....

Capital_Shark
31-03-07, 01:21 PM
Does anybody else here think Kahler would be better suited to the second row?
Seems to get dominated a fair bit....

Can't fault his effort and eagerness to keep running the ball up, but he just gets monstered by the opposing pack. He'd have heaps more impact at second row. But I think with Stosic on the injury list the Titans are a bit light on in the prop department.

Tamwelg
31-03-07, 01:33 PM
Can't fault his effort and eagerness to keep running the ball up, but he just gets monstered by the opposing pack. He'd have heaps more impact at second row. But I think with Stosic on the injury list the Titans are a bit light on in the prop department.

Myers is a prop and is listed in the team for this weekends game. At 108kg he is the second biggest front rower at the Titans.

Capital_Shark
31-03-07, 02:15 PM
Myers is a prop and is listed in the team for this weekends game. At 108kg he is the second biggest front rower at the Titans.

This means Kahler is moving to 2nd row?

Social Loafer
31-03-07, 02:22 PM
Kahler seems to be named in the #10 jersey, anyway at 97kg he is probably the lightest Prop in the comp, had he kept that mullet he probably wold have topped 100kg.

Tamwelg
31-03-07, 03:41 PM

Sorry mate, I meant in the team on the bench, but he would be an bigger option for the number 10.

Titanium_BD1103
31-03-07, 04:35 PM
And to top the whole celebrations off for the Bulldogs... they will be wearing new look heritage jerseys for the match... :)

BULLDOGS TO WEAR HERITAGE STRIP
29TH MAR 2007 @ 8:56PM

As a mark of respect to their rich history the Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs team will run out on Sunday in their Heritage strip.

The players will wear the famed butcher stripe jersey and black shorts when they take on the Titans at Telstra Stadium.

The club has said they are made from the same material as the new jerseys, but is keeping it a surprise as to whether they will have small collars or no collars at all.

I can't wait for tomorrow, even without the game, as a Bulldogs fan it will be a very special day indeed... with the game, it is a super special day.. :)

Gonzalez
31-03-07, 09:28 PM
I tipped the Titans on this one...should be close...Bulldogs are out of form and Titans have potential to cause some upsets so it should be interesting.

patskE
31-03-07, 11:46 PM
just put 5 on titans to win
head to head
playing like 3 bucks

didnt do motm
i rkn presto might
he crave the big bulldogs forwards towards end of match
but prince will have to a solid game aswell

qld power
01-04-07, 01:32 PM
wahoo titans 2-0 campbell penalty 20mins down

qld power
01-04-07, 01:44 PM
doggies try to tonga goal hazem 32mins 6-2 doggs

Cowboy Titan
01-04-07, 02:02 PM
doggies try to tonga goal hazem 32mins 6-2 doggs
I haven't seen the try but the guys on ABC radio were going off about a blatant obstruction that lead to that try with Tonga or Ryan getting in the way of Prince making the tackle.

bigjim
01-04-07, 02:06 PM
I'm absolutely livid. If that first Bulldog try is not what the obstruction rule is for, I don't no what is.
Give me a break and Freeman's an idiot if he can say that they got in 100% right.

Robbie_Dee
01-04-07, 02:16 PM
Try Bulldogs going to the video ref!

*EDIT* Tis a try!

Queenslander
01-04-07, 02:18 PM
PROGRESS SCORE

Bulldogs 10
Tries: Willie Tonga, Trent Cutler
Goals: Hazem El Masri (1/2)
Gold Coast Titans 2
Goals: Preston Campbell (1/1)

Robbie_Dee
01-04-07, 02:29 PM
Omeley scores 18 minutes to go

Steve
01-04-07, 02:31 PM
Looks like we've done all the tackling, so the tired forward pack we need to exploit may not be as tired as we'd hoped.
Still not out of it, but this last 20 has to be all Titans.

Queenslander
01-04-07, 02:40 PM
Try to Matt Petersen

Bulldogs 16
Tries: Willie Tonga, Trent Cutler, Mark O\'Meley
Goals: Hazem El Masri (2/3)
Gold Coast Titans 2
Tries: Matt Petersen
Goals: Preston Campbell (1/1)

Queenslander
01-04-07, 02:48 PM
Another possible Bulldogs try going to Video Ref.

EDIT: TRY to Cutler

Bulldogs 22
Tries: Willie Tonga, Trent Cutler (2), Mark O'Meley
Goals: Hazem El Masri (3/4)
Gold Coast Titans 6
Goals: Preston Campbell (1/2)

Steve
01-04-07, 02:53 PM
Disappointing result, but gotta get used to it I guess. Every team has 'em!

Congratulations to the dogs.

Queenslander
01-04-07, 02:53 PM
FINAL SCORE

Bulldogs 22
Tries: Willie Tonga, Trent Cutler (2), Mark O\'Meley
Goals: Hazem El Masri (3/4)
Gold Coast Titans 6
Goals: Preston Campbell (1/2)

Parra Petty
01-04-07, 03:12 PM
Hey everyone,

It was a tough game for the Titans boys, and honestly were probably always up against it in meeting a fired up, giant Bulldogs outfit on their home truf.

I thought the Titans pack held their own for much of the game against their bigger rivals, but in the end, they just used up too much petrol in defence.

It doesn't get any easier for the Coast boys either, having to take on the Panthers in Penrith next Sunday!

If you want to read my report on the game, just click on the following link -

http://www.league.net.au/bulldogs-outgun-titans/

I endeavour to get the reports up as soon as possible after each match, so please feel free to check back whenever possible!:)

Coaster
01-04-07, 03:16 PM
That sucked.

How many times do we need to lose before Cambell gets moved to his postion?

Also we are going to drive Rogers into early retirement, he doesnt see the ball and he has to babysit the winger in defence.

We are working with the Broncos game plan, shut down one player, and we are screwed.

Preston needs to be in the line to at the very least provide another option for attack.

1. Rogers - less defence, great attcking option
2. Peterson
3. Graham
4. Webster
5. ?
6. Preston
7. Prince

That gives us 2 extra attacking options.

Also one other thing, why didnt a forward put one on that thug Omeleys chin?

That guy smahed around our forwards like a man beating little kids, stand up for yourselves and smack that thug in the mouth. He nearly crushed Princes windpipe on the tryline with a knee in the neck. In saying that, great game from Shrek, he totally DOMINATED 6 forwards and a halfback single handed.

bah ill calm down soon i guess

DIEHARD
01-04-07, 03:29 PM
Just finished watching it on TV.

Oh it was tough and for the first time it was hard not being at the ground cheering them on, watching them go up against the Bulldogs from television.

I was disgusted with O'Meley putting his knee on Prince's face over the try line and then he started bouncing up and down on his face.

1. Rogers
2. Peterson
3. Graham
4. Webster
5. Barnes? (Walker when he returns.)
6. Preston
7. Prince

I really would like to see Preston moved.

Unfortunately their forwards dominated ours. I thought we played well for a good portion of the game but the dam burst towards the end. But I think we will take away and learn alot from the unfortunate defeat.

Also the drums at the Dogs games are good but they need to ban the whistles for obvious reasons, it interferes with game play.

I missed the first half of the game on TV, I thought it was on at 3pm. So I only heard the first half on the radio, looking forward to a full replay.

Go_The_Doggies
01-04-07, 06:35 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

GOOOO THE DOGGGGGGGIES!!

We played sloppy in areas, but we looked really good in others, BIG IMPROVEMENT FROM THE PANTHERS GAME!!!

Lol, the Titan's only try wasnt even a genuine try!

-Cutler played pretty well today, wonder who will get the wing spot.
-Roberts back to PL next week, or on the bench (i'm hoping on the bench)
-Hazem the birthday boy was superb, as was Mason, Tonga, Patten, Ryan, O'Meley.

Man i'm gutted that we prolly wont be able to keep Shrek :(

TITANS007
02-04-07, 07:09 AM
Man i'm gutted that we prolly wont be able to keep Shrek :([/QUOTE]

I thought Shrek had a typical Shrek game. He's a thug and that's how he plays, like a thug. Although he does his job and muscles up in the forwards and is very intimidating, there was no need to jump up and down on Princey's head the way he did, that's just pathetic. Big guy on little guy, real manly thing to do :disgust:

DeeGan
02-04-07, 07:38 AM
Man i'm gutted that we prolly wont be able to keep Shrek :(

I thought Shrek had a typical Shrek game. He's a thug and that's how he plays, like a thug. Although he does his job and muscles up in the forwards and is very intimidating, there was no need to jump up and down on Princey's head the way he did, that's just pathetic. Big guy on little guy, real manly thing to do :disgust:[/QUOTE]

I think we will hear more about that ... Prince is quoted in the paper (Telegraph) as being most displeased with what looked like an intentional knee to the head.

Poida
02-04-07, 07:47 AM
Anyone kneeing intentionally should suffer same suspension as a spear tackle or a deliberate high tackle.

DeeGan
02-04-07, 08:24 AM
www.titans.com.au
Written by: Deegan Lewis

Jetstar Titans go down to Bulldogs

In front of 14,675 fans, a rejuvenated Canterbury Bulldogs side defeated the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans 22-6 at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

Led by Test forwards Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley, the Bulldogs dominated field position and time in possession to post their first win of the 2007 season as the Titans tasted defeat for the second time this season.

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright was pleased with the effort of his players though conceded it would take more than that to win consistently each week.

"Good sides don't give you too many chances," said Cartwright.

"They have got a lot of dangerous players. If they are operating with a high percentage of the ball and if they are making you tackle as much as they made us tackle, they are going to come up with tries.

"I thought our effort was great but it takes more than effort to win at this level."

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans were the first team on the scoreboard after twenty-two minutes when Preston Campbell converted a penalty given by Reni Maitua.

Willie Tonga opened the scoring for Canterbury eight minutes from half time when supporting workaholic captain Andrew Ryan who put the former Origin and Test centre in to the clear.

The try wasn't without contrversy though, as there was a hint of obstruction from Willie Tonga on Titans co-captain Scott Prince that led to the initial line break. Video ref Paul Simpkins ruled in favour of the Canterbury Bulldogs leaving coach John Cartwright scratching his head.

"I think they (officials) have got themselves in a tangle with that one," said Cartwright.
"We are so intent on watching guys run around the back.
"The fact that he didn't run behind him didn't matter, he took two of our defenders out."

Trailing 6-2 after half time, the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans went in to the sheds having completed thirty more tackles than their opponent.

Gavin Badger penalised Mark Minichiello seven minutes in to the second half for an infringement at the play the ball and the following set of six saw Trent Cutler cross in the left hand corner to extend the Bulldogs lead. After the conversion, the Bulldogs led 12-2 with thirty minutes to play.

Inspirational prop Mark O'Meley scored his first try of the season crashing over next to the goal posts at the sixty-minute mark. After some earlier handling errors, O'Meley asserted himself on the game with strong running and heavy hitting on the Titans forward pack.

"It was inspirational with him leading the way like that. We needed something, and he supplied it," said fellow Bulldog Willie Mason who was also at his damaging best.

Matt Petersen scored a try with nine minutes to play, which gave some hope to late fight back by the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans. Anthony Laffranchi was pulled down five metres from the try line and squeezed the ball out to Petersen who strolled over for his second try of the season.

Trent Cutler crossed in the dying stages bagging his double for the day capping what was a good performance from the Bulldog winger.

Canterbury coach Steve Folkes was relieved to get their maiden win for 2007 though acknowledged his side still had room to improve.

"We got the two points but it wasn't pretty," Folkes said. "Kevin Moore (Bulldogs assistant coach) rated it in the top five most boring games.

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are on the road again in round four taking on the Penrith Panthers who are in good forming coming off back to back wins over Brisbane and Canterbury.

Canterbury Bulldogs (22) Tries: Willie Tonga, Trent Cutler (2), Mark O'Meley Goals: Hazem El Masri (3/4) def. Gold Coast Titans (6) Tries: Matt Petersen Goals: Preston Campbell (1/2)

Rabbitohs-07
02-04-07, 11:55 AM
Bulldogs forwards just simply out played the Titans forwards thats the reason they lost. Apart from all the drop ball :)

Titanium_BD1103
02-04-07, 05:48 PM
Spot on Rabbitoh.. I am happy because my side finally registered a win, but in the end it was a match with about as much excitement as a broken balloon and really the Bulldogs were just more experienced and at home... they won from that.

The whistle DIEHARD aren't actually whistles as such, they are sort of wind making things that were being sold at the ground yesterday... they make a really high pitched sound, but I saw them and thought the same thing.

As for the game, great grinding game by the Bulldogs... I was so pleased to see our defense improve and our wide ball plays happening... we have some pace out there so we should use it. The forwards were great and I must say I thought Willie and Shrek had equally great games. In the end we grinded a win and were just too experienced for the Titans... :)

I thought Cutler had a fantastic game and supported well... Hughes helped the structure at Hooker and Tonga was making some good breaks, with Patten and El Masri being their regular awesome selves.

For the Titans credit to Bailey who worked like a horse, Friend looked good and Petersen was strong in patches, making lots of breaks. I know it was a loss, but Titans fans, there was still some good signs in terms of defense out of it, they could have crumbled further in that 2nd half but they stopped numerous chances for the tryline.

As for Tonga's try, well I reckon like the commentators after watching the replay and being at the game, that he was trying to get the pass from Ryan, Prince ran into him and therefore it's not obstruction... I mean if a player can't run to get a ball from another player in the line, what will happen to the game.

As for O'Meley, yes having seen the replay last night, it wasn't pretty and he deserve a week for it... and he will get one sadly... it was unfortunate but not pretty... as for whether the Titans would have won had he not done it, highly doubtful.... I think on the day the Bulldogs were the better side and got the win they deserved.... but rest assured, the Titans will be back and Penrith better not slack off or expect a hiding on Sunday... ;)

Throb
02-04-07, 05:51 PM
It also helps when one of your forwards knees the opposition halfback in the head.

O'Meley should be rubbed out for at least as many games as his mate SBW. I hope he contests the charge and has it upheld

Throb
02-04-07, 05:53 PM
From www.foxsports.com.au

Ogre charged with kneeing

April 02, 2007 BULLDOGS prop Mark O'Meley has been charged with kneeing an opponent during the club's win over Gold Coast yesterday.

O'Meley is facing a grade-one dropping knees charge after the match review committee took exception at his late attempt to prevent Titans captain Scott Prince from scoring at Telstra Stadium.

The charge carries a one-game ban for an early guilty plea, or two weeks if O'Meley unsuccessfully fights the charge at the NRL judiciary.

The Bulldogs are unable to seek a downgrade of the charge as it is was given the lowest possible grading.

The incident occurred in the 53rd minute of the Bulldogs' 22-6 win, Prince stopped just short of the line as he attempted to reach out to score.

Penrith full back Rhys Wesser and North Queensland lock Justin Smith were also charged, but both can escape punishment with early guilty pleas.

Wesser was charged with grade one contrary conduct for lashing out at Justin Hodges with his leg as the Brisbane centre crossed for one of his four tries.

Smith was charged over a grapple tackle in his side's win over St George-Illawarra.

Dragons prop Justin Poore escaped punishment for his tackle that left Cowboys prop Carl Webb with a broken jaw.

Television replays appeared to show Poore's shoulder coming into contact with Webb's head.

AAP