PDA

View Full Version : Origin: Willie willing for Origin strike

Queenslander
25-03-07, 12:45 AM
Willie willing for Origin strike

March 25, 2007
BULLDOGS star Willie Mason says he is prepared to lead a player strike during the State of Origin series in protest over the NRL salary cap.

The Australia forward has called for the salary cap to be raised, saying players are becoming frustrated that the likes of Parramatta back Timana

Tahu are being lost to rugby union and that young up and comers are getting paid "bugger all" to train as hard as professionals.

Mason has also launched a stinging attack on the Rugby League Professionals Association, saying the "players union is weak and does nothing for the players".

"It's time for the players to make a stand about the salary cap, and if that means going on strike, well I'm in," Mason wrote in his Sunday column in Fairfax newspapers.

"To really make a point, I vote we strike during the State of Origin series.

"What really gets to me is the fact rugby league has rarely been in a stronger position.

"The NRL has just signed a $90 million sponsorship deal with Telstra and it makes millions from State of Origin and electronic media rights, and yet the salary cap has barely moved over the past few years.

"It is about time we saw exactly how much the game earns and we received a bigger slice of the action.

"A strike wouldn't be good for the game and I stress it's a last resort.

"But to do it when it would hurt the game most - during Origin - is the only way the players can be heard."

On the RLPA, Mason wrote in The Sun-Herald: "The Rugby League Professionals Association, our players union, is weak and does nothing for the players.

"Yet, how can we expect the RLPA to represent our best interests when it is partially funded by the NRL?

"That money has compromised our union . . . how can we expect 100 per cent support.

"The RLPA's relationship with the NRL leaves us with one weapon - to strike."

AAP

DIEHARD
25-03-07, 02:32 AM
While I agree that there should be changes to the salary cap. I am very defensive to any talk of boycotting the State of Origin series.

That is under ARL control anyway, if they want to make a statement over NRL policy I suggest he does it with an NRL controlled fixture.

If Mason wants to have a whinge about the weak Players Union, why doesn't he get involved with the democratic organisation and try to make some changes in its policy or management.

The Players Union is weakened mainly because of its apparent low membership. First point would be campaigning and organising measures to rectify that.

DeeGan
25-03-07, 07:32 AM
Willie Mason's "column" is making for some entertaining reading it has to be said.

One of many rules as a leader in sport or business:

"Look over your shoulder now and then to be sure someone's following you."

Danny Buderus knocked this on the head when approached about a possible Origin strike and I cannot see many of Willie's peers endorsing the move either which would only alienate fans.

There is a concern when looking at the exodus of players leaving the NRL for the Super League and/or ARU. Is this the solution? No.

Do I know what the answer is? No.

Like Willie should do, I will back the powers-to-be come up with the answer to that one.

On and off the field our game is healthy, at it's healthiest since the Super League war. The argument for some type of increase and/or marquee player system (therein lies an answer somewhere I tend to believe) in an effort to thwart the attempts from cashed up codes or UK clubs is a valid one.

Losing players to the UK concerns me more so the ARU.

Seeing a Trent Barrett for example with plenty left to over in the NRL leading Wigan bugs me as much as I support the Super League competition.

Reading articles linking a guy like Matt King, a superb player at only 26 years of age with five really good years ahea dof him, to a move to the UK annoys me too.

Instead of laying the boot in to the RLPA Willie, how about being an active member who is willing to take up the fight for the benefit of future generations. It would be a long, drawnout task that won't get instant results - it would require work outside of your "real job" - it would be demaning though at the same time a learning process.

I am certain you will get more respect from your peers that way and not from a column spuking another off the cuff idea that lacks more than a day's thought behind it.

p.s. The players you are looking out for would happily put their hand up at Origin time if your strike was something you were willing to lead ;-)

Steelers
25-03-07, 08:44 AM
He makes some good points, although the action he is suggesting to rectify the problem is definately a last resort :| Why don't the NRL use some of that kitty they have earnt and pay players in each teams top 25 a set amount from their pocket, on top of what the clubs pay? Add onto that bigger rep bonuses and the like from the NRL.

Poida
25-03-07, 09:30 AM
But what if the NRL decides to take action against striking players?
Will make the problem worse.

~Wild Child~
25-03-07, 09:30 AM
This might sound like a silly question..but I don't understand Mason's ideas.
If the NRL were to crumble..and offer players more..won't union just counter the offer..and still secure the players it wants? I do not see how striking will achieve a permanent answer to these problems.

Steve
25-03-07, 09:48 AM
In one sense I support an increase in the salary cap. After all, the rest of us get payrises every year based on CPI.
Granted, most of us don't get paid anywhere near as much as a first grade rugby league player, and I don't think there's a minimum wage in league. Even so, lagging behind can only cause trouble.

I like the idea of local juniors being at least partly exempt from the cap, but how long until teams turn up at under 10 games, spotting some talent and then offering a house and jobs to the parents to live in their area. (If they're not already doing this!)
I'm guessing this will never happen while there's teams like Melbourne and some of the inner city Sydney clubs who rely on buying all their talent.

It can be frustrating seeing your local players bled away by other clubs because you can't afford to pay them. The reality is some of these players will leave anyhow, not because of money, but because they can't crack first grade with established players ahead of them, and looking to remain there for many years.

There's been talk for a while of 10 year players no longer being included in the club's cap. I like the idea, teams wouldn't have to lose a long standing player (and one who is probably much loved by the fans!) just to keep some of the younger guys coming through. And the players in this age bracket are those most likely to be retiring into union or the UK.
This would provide an equal footing for teams regardless of their junior talent pool (possibly some problems for the Titans... maybe Preston would qualify for that. :D) and encourage players to stay in league, their teams could provide them with that extra bonus they're looking for.

Steve
25-03-07, 09:51 AM
This might sound like a silly question..but I don't understand Mason's ideas.
If the NRL were to crumble..and offer players more..won't union just counter the offer..and still secure the players it wants? I do not see how striking will achieve a permanent answer to these problems.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.
The union throws enough money at single players to pay a full NRL squad. Raising the cap to the point where the ARU is nullified would destroy the reason for it, because while some clubs could spend up big, others just wouldn't have the cash to do it.

Steel Dragon
25-03-07, 10:05 AM
As a big fan of Big Willie, can I just say... shut up you stupid moron! Something like this coming from someone who earns more in 1 year than half of Australia does in 10 years is pathetic. If he is that selfish and money-oriented, why doesn't he take the big bikkies and jump to Union. If he wants to boycott origin, fine. We'll just pick Ryles, Bailey, Hindmarsh, O'Donnell, Simpson, Ryan, Creagh, Young, Poore, Hoffman, Gallen, Clinton, O'Meley, Thompson, Widders, Waterhouse, Sargent, Watmough, Kite, Toupou, Anasta, Fitzgibbon, Laffranchi or Menzies instead (I think Menzies has retired from rep football, but I'm not sure).

Jason

Fampa
25-03-07, 10:34 AM
Two things that strike me about Mason's comments -

1. A union is only as strong as its membership is participative. Bagging the players union for not being strong enough when the fault lies with senior players such as Mason shows a lack of understanding.

2. Normally I would say that this is a cry for more money from someone who earns far too much, BUT for the throw away line that this is for the up and comers who are struggling on little to no money. This all sounds good in theory - that we should up the salary cap to allow for more money to be paid to these youngsters - but we all know clubs will spend extra $$ on the big name players not the fringe players.

Also there is the fact to consider that the salary cap only refers to 25 players (and those within the 25 do have a minimum amount which they are paid - which is more than the average pay packet for Joe Public). A raise in salary cap is not going to help those outside the 25, in fact it will probably hurt them more as a raise in the cap means club will be throwing even more money at marquee pplayers and less at them.

~Wild Child~
25-03-07, 10:53 AM
Time to strike for our rights

Willie Mason | March 25, 2007

IT'S TIME for the players to make a stand about the salary cap, and if that means going on strike, well, I'm in. And to really make a point, I vote we strike during the State of Origin series.

I don't say that lightly. My frustration is shared by other players. We're filthy that some of our best players - Timana Tahu is the latest - are being lost to rugby union while our sport's up-and-comers are being paid bugger all even though they train as hard as professionals.

This isn't about player greed. I know I'm well paid but I am prepared to make a stand that may benefit a future generation of players.
What really gets to me is the fact rugby league has rarely been in a stronger position. The NRL has just signed a $90 million sponsorship deal with Telstra and it makes millions from the State of Origin and electronic media rights - and yet the salary cap has barely moved over the past few years.

It is about time we saw exactly how much the game earns and we received a bigger slice of the action.

The Rugby League Professionals Association, our players union, is weak and does nothing for the players. Yet, how can we expect the RLPA to represent our best interests when it is partially funded by the NRL? That money has compromised our union . . . how can we expect 100 per cent support?

I saw how strong the NFL players' union was when I went to New York for a trial last year. It put the players first, down to the number of hours they could train each day. The AFL players association also has a good say in the running of their game.

The RLPA's relationship with the NRL leaves us with one weapon - to strike. A players' strike during origin would send a clear and powerful message. It would show we can't be walked over. If it takes a giant stand for the greater good, for the next generation, I'm prepared to do it and I know the players would support me.

Guys like Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns are near the end of their careers. They have tried for years to do something about this and have got nowhere. I want results.

There needs to be more money for up-and-coming players because the minimum wage is too low. It's wrong that there are blokes who train as hard as I do at the Bulldogs but they get paid stuff all for their hard work. While I acknowledge the effort is worth it for the opportunities a great club like Canterbury can provide, the pay is unfair if you're a fringe first-grader or you play premier league.

We must stop rugby union from poaching our best talent. How can the NRL consider it good business to allow the best players to go to rugby? Rugby union was a game no one gave a toss about until Lote Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor and Mat Rogers were allowed to defect.

Now rugby has recruited Timana Tahu, one of the best athletes I've seen, at his absolute peak and it hasn't done a thing to develop him.
Rugby has hit the panic button because it doesn't have anyone coming through the ranks.

A strike wouldn't be good for the game and I stress it's a last resort. But to do it when it would hurt the game most - during origin - is the only way the players can be heard.
It would prove that without us there is no game.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/willie-mason/time-to-strike-for-our-rights/2007/03/24/1174597948259.html?s_cid=rss_smh

'Guys like Lockyer and Johns'..may have been trying to address this problem for a long time...but they know that strike action..won't solve anything.

I think that to suggest that holding the NRL to ransom, and making threats..as a way to get a result...can only cause more problems than it could ever hope to fix. It will bring with it..alot of disharmony to league..on so many different levels :(

DIEHARD
25-03-07, 02:39 PM
Union's resources are not infinite, with the QRU calling for an NRL like salary cap after losing $1.7 million in the last year.

Coaster
25-03-07, 05:42 PM
I think they should have a system similar to Cricket.

The top players would get an extra payment from the ARL, for services during the SOO, and tests.

Not the measly $7000 a game, make it $25000 a game distrubuted to the players at the end of the season.

So Lockyer last year playing 3 x SOO, and 6 X tests would get an extra $225000

That with a salary of 500k would get him to the mark Union ect are offering.

That would increase the players wanting to stay in the NRL, becuase they should also have a rule saying if you are not playing in the NRL, you are not eligible for selection.

This would help the top tier clubs also, becuase being in a winning side determines if you do get selected.

The whole thing would cost the ARL, about 7.6 million a year, and they would generate that with the advertising for the first SOO alone.

In return they would keep there best players, maybe draw some of the ARU talent away, and the clubs could keep there salary cap.

Steel Dragon
25-03-07, 05:56 PM
Couldn't agree more mate. We don't want a Union-style, European-style system where the richest clubs spend as much as they can to monopolise all the talent.

Jason

p.s. Go Man United!!! ;)

MonaroMan
25-03-07, 08:43 PM
Although I'm in favour of a higher salary cap, I think Mason is overreacting. I think he just wants more money out of the Bulldogs, too greedy.

Capital_Shark
25-03-07, 09:12 PM
Who ever gave Mason an avenue to vent his stupidity needs shooting. We're in the second round of what promises to be the tightest competition ever, and we can thank the salary cap for that. Without it, Holmes a Courte and Crowe could have taken over Souths, opened the cheque books and had the best players from Australia and New Zealand combining in Souths colours.

He carries on about the younger guys who train just as hard for 'bugger all' but that bugger is 50K. Not a bad earner for a teenager doing what he loves. And now that Union has poached Timana, that teenager has a spot in first grade to shoot for, which will bring a larger pay packet.

Like someone mentioned, no matter even if they double the salary cap, I don't see priority number 1 of clubs being to pay their fringe first graders a small fortune. They'd use it to top up the big name contracts.

As DIEHARD pointed out, he'll be boycotting an ARL fixture in a futile attempt to change the NRL's policies. While I'm sure he probably does have a lot of support from other players, I don't think there are many who would be willing to snub an origin call up to 'stick by Willie.' Hopefully the bloke who forms his column into words for him is in on it, cause I doubt Mason has the nouse to do the signs for his strike.

Poida
25-03-07, 09:14 PM
Who ever gave Mason an avenue to vent his stupidity needs shooting. We're in the second round of what promises to be the tightest competition ever, and we can thank the salary cap for that. Without it, Holmes a Courte and Crowe could have taken over Souths, opened the cheque books and had the best players from Australia and New Zealand combining in Souths colours.

He carries on about the younger guys who train just as hard for 'bugger all' but that bugger is 50K. Not a bad earner for a teenager doing what he loves. And now that Union has poached Timana, that teenager has a spot in first grade to shoot for, which will bring a larger pay packet.

Like someone mentioned, no matter even if they double the salary cap, I don't see priority number 1 of clubs being to pay their fringe first graders a small fortune. They'd use it to top up the big name contracts.

As DIEHARD pointed out, he'll be boycotting an ARL fixture in a futile attempt to change the NRL's policies. While I'm sure he probably does have a lot of support from other players, I don't think there are many who would be willing to snub an origin call up to 'stick by Willie.' Hopefully the bloke who forms his column into words for him is in on it, cause I doubt Mason has the nouse to do the signs for his strike.
What he said:p

Capital_Shark
26-03-07, 09:46 AM
This idea from Mason surely puts to bed any consideration over him skippering Australia in the ANZAC Test?

Hoppy2007Dragons
26-03-07, 12:06 PM
smarter than you look cs.

But a very good argument, really helped clear up the confusion for me.

Queenslander
26-03-07, 12:25 PM
Great post Capital Shark. You summed it up perfectly. If Mason isn't happy than perhaps he should join union or the NFL or whatever else his named has been attached to.

This threat of "strike action" should be the final nail in the coffin for Mason's chances on being Australian captain. And IMO there were already enough nails in that coffin ;)

Capital_Shark
26-03-07, 12:37 PM
Mate I already half a barrow of dirt on top tbh..

Steel Dragon
26-03-07, 08:03 PM
Excellent. I'll get a shovel and dig him up. Should tick off everyone in Queensland nicely. :D

Jason

Steelers
26-03-07, 08:04 PM
Remember people, big Willie said that strike would be the most extreme last resort. And this is coming from someone who thinks he is one of the biggest cats on the planet! :p

Social Loafer
27-03-07, 06:08 PM
Like we didn't need any further evidence the Mason is a complete Dope..

Maybe if enough players Strike a Raider will make Origin? Even then I wouldn't bet on it..

Capital_Shark
27-03-07, 06:23 PM
Like we didn't need any further evidence the Mason is a complete Dope..

Maybe if enough players Strike a Raider will make Origin? Even then I wouldn't bet on it..

haha they'll call it off if they have to resort to a Raider

Steelers
27-03-07, 07:25 PM
Source: www.foxsports.com.au

Mason won't talk to chief executive

CONTROVERSIAL Bulldogs forward Willie Mason says he has no plans to hold talks with Matthew Rodwell despite the player association boss's attempts to contact him.

The Australia Test star dropped a bombshell at the weekend - saying players should consider striking during this year's State of Origin series if the salary cap is not increased. He also called the Rugby League Professionals Association "weak".

Rodwell was yesterday trying to speak to Mason about those comments, but Mason said he wouldn't hold talks.

"I don't have his number," Mason said.

The Bulldogs giant said he had received good feedback from fellow players over his calls for the cap to be significantly raised from its current level of $4 million and for tough tactics if that doesn't happen.

And Mason stepped up his attack last night - calling for the minimum wage for all NRL players to be increased to $120,000 a season.

"I've received plenty of support, yeah," he said.

"People have been good.

"But the club have asked me not to comment on it. I'm going to go on The Footy Show on Thursday and clear it all up a bit."

Mason said the emphasis on his call for industrial action as a last resort had been overplayed.

"It's been sort of taken out of context ... it's just that word 'strike'," he said.

"I'll clear it all up."

Rodwell said he had left messages with Mason in the hope of explaining to him in some detail the contents of the RLPA's collective bargaining agreement with the NRL.

But rather than hit back at Mason, Rodwell said the RLPA had to provide working conditions that the players wanted.

"We've been criticised and called things and we have to cop it sweet," Rodwell said.

"It's like playing footy, you have to respond to criticism with your performance.

"We have to go away and find a document that gives the players what they are happy with. I am confident, in my dealings with the NRL, that there is room to move in negotiations."

But having agreed on a new CBA with the NRL, and submitted it for approval to government departments, Rodwell admitted he had no idea what would happen if the players now voted against it.

"I don't know - we might have to go away and take advice or something like that," he said.

Asked if a higher cap was more likely as a result of Mason's outburst, Rodwell said: "There were a lot of people doing a lot of hard work before Willie said what he did."

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said players had been misinformed about the NRL's "new media deal" with Telstra worth $90 million.

One NRL source said yesterday: "The players think we are hiding some pot of gold. It's not there."

Carr denied Mason's strike threat would be used against the player in his stated ambition to be Australia skipper.

"Not from my point of view," Carr said.

"Willie just seems a little confused about the situation. He only saw the figures on a press release $90 million. Not the ins and outs that took place during negotiations.

"That money has been taken into consideration and budgeted for. Willie has to understand that.

"I think Willie was poorly advised when going to press.

"I like Willie and he is entitled to his open and democratic opinion. But he should have spoken to the RLPA about the negotiations first."

Steelers
27-03-07, 07:26 PM

Increase cap, says Lockyer

BRISBANE, Queensland and Australia captain Darren Lockyer has backed Willie Mason's calls to increase the salary cap, but he added that strike action during the State of Origin series to achieve a better deal for all players would be a last resort.

Lockyer was one of several stars to throw his support behind Mason yesterday after the Bulldogs forward said that players were frustrated at not sharing in the spoils of the NRL's new sponsorship deals worth a combined $100 million.

Mason also said he was prepared to lead renegade strike action because he believed the players' union was weak and a tool of the NRL.

The issue has raise various levels of interest, with some clubs and players saying yesterday that it had barely registered while others had discussed it.

Channel Nine, with whom Mason has a deal, reported last night that Lockyer, New South Wales captain and Newcastle hooker Danny Buderus and his Knights teammate Andrew Johns were among Mason's supporters.

Lockyer, who is sidelined with an ankle injury but could return earlier than expected, with the Good Friday match against Sydney Roosters in his sights, is expected to be grilled on the controversial topic today at a representative season launch.

"My stance is that Willie certainly has a point," Lockyer said last night.

"However, I think there are different avenues to take.

"Striking at any time is a pretty extreme measure and, as Willie said, it would be a last resort."

Mason said on Nine last night that the game's elite players had talked about striking in Origin camps for several seasons.

"That was an extreme thing, talking about striking for Origin," Mason said.

"But I'm not the only one who's been saying it.

"There's been talk within camps for the last three or four years. I'm just the guy who's come out and said it."

Mason also stressed the game's elite players would take a stance during Origin to ensure a better deal for players at the lower end of the spectrum.

He said the game generated enough revenue to almost double the minimum wage to $120,000.

"I'm not really worried about my pay packet," Mason said.

"It's the guy who's doing the same amount of work and playing. I think the minimum wage should be $120,000."

Rugby League Professionals Association chief executive Matthew Rodwell is keen to resolve the issue with Mason this week, with players yet to sign off on the game's collective bargaining agreement.

The NRL and the RLPA agreed to the agreement in principle last year although there is provision to go back on elements of the deal if the league found new revenue streams.

Steelers
27-03-07, 07:29 PM

Mason's threat angers Origin great

THE player who helped pioneer State of Origin last night slammed Willie Mason's plan for a player strike during this year's interstate series in protest at NRL salary cap restrictions.

And Rugby League Players Association chief executive Matthew Rodwell claimed to be "disappointed" that Mason slammed the game's union as "weak and does nothing for the players".

In a newspaper column, Mason called on the NRL to increase the salary cap to prevent more players switching to rugby union.

"It's time for the players to make a stand about the salary cap, and if that means going on strike, well I'm in," Mason wrote.

"And to really make a point, I vote we strike during the State of Origin series. A strike wouldn't be good for the game and I stress it's a last resort. But to do it when it would hurt the game most - during Origin - is the only way the players can be heard."

But threatening strike action to hurt Origin angered Tom Raudonikis, NSW's first Origin captain.

"Who does Willie Mason think he is?" Raudonikis said.

"State of Origin is our masterpiece. Guys like Wally Lewis, 'Alfie' Langer and Ricky Stuart helped build Origin to what it is today.

"It seems all the players want these days is more money. It all comes down to greed - they're all big heads. What about the fans, what about the game? What Willie said was disgraceful. Shocking. He should put a sock in it."

But Mason's Blues teammate Matt King said players had discussed a strike since last season.

"We've spoken about strike action for a while so for Mason to come out and say something, it might just wake the NRL up," King said, admitting there'd be a public backlash.

"It would hurt (the game). I would imagine there'd be a lot of fan hate towards players but something needs to be done."

Storm prop Brett White said: "If Willie wants to strike let him. I'll play (Origin). What happened to playing for fun or the love of the game?"

Mason also criticised the RLPA for taking money from the NRL.

"The (RLPA), our players union, is weak and does nothing for the players," Mason wrote.

Rodwell said Mason should work with him to form a strong union.

"I'd by lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with his attack on the Players Association," Rodwell said.

I'd be happy to sit down with Willie. I rang him this morning and left a message on his mobile. One of my goals to make the PA stronger is that the players buy into it.

"We have done a lot of hard work and good work to encourage the players to support the PA. (Mason's comments) were unnecessary.

"We welcome players voicing their opinions but it would be nice to see the RLPA have the support of the players."

"The RLPA does a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff that may not be visible," Rodwell added.

The NRL signed off last year on a deal with the RLPA, allowing for a salary cap increase to $4million.