PDA

View Full Version : Lockyer, Hindmarsh ruled out of tour

DIEHARD
08-11-05, 08:42 AM
By Wayne Heming of AAP with Dean Ritchie

Australia captain Darren Lockyer and forward Nathan Hindmarsh have both been ruled out of the rest of the Tri Nations rugby league series with injury.

Lockyer will be out of action for two to three months after breaking a foot bone in training in Paris last night (AEDT).

He slipped and fell during a game of touch football towards the end of the session at the Surenes rugby union club on the eastern outskirts of the French capital.

Lockyer screamed with pain as he went to the ground.

An MRI scan later confirmed the broken bone.

"I just changed direction at training when running - there wasn't any contact with another player," Lockyer told The Daily Telegraph. Hooker Danny Buderus apprears certain to assume the captaincy while Trent Barrett is the logical replacement at five-eighth.

Hindmarsh meanwhile aggravated his knee injury during the session.

He appeared from the hotel elevator in a knee brace, saying: "I don't know what's going on just yet with the injury but it's certainly been better."

Asked whether he would he return home, Hindmarsh said: "It looks that way." The Kangaroos camp confirmed this morning that Hindmarsh would miss the remainder of the tour.

The Parramatta forward, who has has not played since damaging the knee in the late stages of the NRL season, had been expected to return against France in Perpignan this weekend.

Ben Creagh and Andrew Ryan will fight over the second-row position vacated by Hindmarsh for the Test against France.

Lockyer was going to be rested from the match against France.

He finally returned to the Kangaroos' hotel near Champs-Elysees last night on crutches.

Lockyer sat in the hotel foyer text messaging his shattering news to friends at home.

The injury means Bennett has to decide whether to give Scott Prince another run at halfback inside Barrett, or to have a look at a Craig Gower-Barrett combination with the Penrith halfback likely to get a chance to push his claims.

The tour party will decide in the next couple of days, after consulation with the Australian Rugby League, whether either player will return to Australia or whether replacements will be drafted in to join the Australian camp.

The Daily Telegraph

Dakink
08-11-05, 08:47 AM
Certainly makes Dennis fitzgerald look like a whinger after roundly criticising the Aus Doctor for ruling out Hindmarsh. I only hope for Hindy's sake it isnt too bad.

PARANoIR
08-11-05, 08:55 AM
Bloody hell. Big mistake taking Hindmarsh in the first place.

DeeGan
08-11-05, 10:05 AM
Dreadful news, just dreadfull.

First we have Andrew Johns ruled out due to a wear and tear injury, now Darren Lockyer, now Nathan Hindmarsh. Three players who are in the top 5 in the world in my books.

I think the Australian doctor for a split second got some satisfaction (not in the injury to his player, more in the confirmation he was proven right) in once again ruling out Nathan Hindmarh.

Who is more guilty here? Dennis Fitzgerald of the club doctor who cleared Hindmarsh to play in the Grand Final if they made it and the Roo tour in the first place?

Fingers crossed for Ben Creagh getting a shot for the test vs France.

DeeGan

Dakink
08-11-05, 10:12 AM
I think the Club Doctor was probably pressured into Okaying him.

ridgey
08-11-05, 06:07 PM
the kiwi's will be rubbing their hands with glee.this tri nations ain't dead and buried now.

Steelers
08-11-05, 06:09 PM
the kiwi's will be rubbing their hands with glee.this tri nations ain't dead and buried now.
But just look at the depth AUS have. Barrett, Prince, Creagh, Wing have all come in as REPLACEMENTS.

ridgey
08-11-05, 06:36 PM
yeah we've always had depth,the changes might just unsettle the team a little though.

DIEHARD
10-11-05, 02:59 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5071818,00.jpg

A disconsolate Darren Lockyer at the team hotel before learning he has a broken foot bone and will miss the remainder of the Kangaroos' tour

What a heart breaking image...