PDA

View Full Version : Bennett: Poor cheated in rich man's world

DIEHARD
10-03-07, 07:47 AM
Poor cheated in rich man's world
By Wayne Bennett
Brisbane Broncos coach

ONLY yesterday, my mate's son turned nine. This boy doesn't follow football teams, he follows footballers. Two years ago, he tore around all winter in a Sydney Roosters jumper with a No.1 and Mini sewn on the back.

But when Anthony Minichiello was injured and out for a long time, the boy switched to a Melbourne Storm jumper with Matt King's surname on the back. He wore it proudly to the grand final.

For his birthday, he asked for and received a Bulldogs jumper with the words Sonny Bill emblazoned across the shoulders.

Right now, kids love Sonny Bill Williams. He's all of 21 and has his own website. At 191cm, he's half a centimetre taller than Muhammad Ali and 2kg heavier than Ali's preferred fighting weight of 100kg.

Sonny Bill, what a footballer. Wonderful footwork, tremendous hitter, great skill levels, speed, ability to offload. At this point of his career he runs the ball as well as any player in the game.

But ... but ... but.

Sonny Bill Williams doesn't create like Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer or Benji Marshall, the way Brad Fittler did for the Roosters. He's not the money man.

I've coached players in previous decades similar to Sonny Bill, but I wouldn't have won a game if I had a team full of them - silly as it sounds.

At one end of the foodchain, players like Sonny Bill need to be complemented by key players, the creatives, and by the nitty-gritty, so-called unfashionable players at the other end.

I have nothing but praise for Sonny Bill, yet disdain and scorn for the picture painted, admittedly by others, that he was not happy to be re-signing with the Bulldogs for $500,000 a season.

This is wrong. It's wrong for the game and it's wrong for the fans. It's wrong for the unfashionable player who's running through brickwalls and making four tackles in a row yet lucky to be on a fifth of the cash.

It's wrong for the father of five who's on $40,000 a year and trying to get his clan to the footy to give them something to cheer about.

And it's wrong for the club. Canterbury is a wonderful club and has been for a long time.

The issue is not about whether or not he should be well paid; it's how we as a game go about it and when we go about it. It's about not leaving people, fans in particular, feeling cheated.

You only have to look at rugby union and Lote Tuqiri pushing his teammate in the back. That's not Lote. I know him better than most. This is what it was: Months of protracted talks about his future exploding in a very public moment of sheer frustration.

I can tell you from experience that a player cannot perform when he is under this kind of pressure.

He's juggling his club, his manager, his family and his emotions.

They are all telling him different things. He's going to do this one minute, and that the next, depending on which meeting he's just come from.

Players from other clubs, wonderful players, I've seen them play shockers for weeks in a row and I'm sitting there wondering why. Then I pick up the paper and read they're renegotiating. This is where the fan loses as well.

The player manager comes in saying he wants this and this and there's five other clubs who'll pay it if you don't. That's the starting point.

At the Broncos, we are no chance of signing Lote Tuqiri.

Salary cap aside, I believe if he genuinely wanted to play rugby league again, he'd want to play for us again.

When Lote went to rugby union, certain league administrators said there were plenty of Lote Tuqiris that we'd soon find another. That was six years ago. If you see another just like him, please let me know.

They don't make too many Lote Tuqiris, just as they don't make too many Sonny Bill Williams or Mark Gasniers or Matt Giteaus.

In Melbourne for a recent trial game, I remember seeing all my players at the airport reading the one newspaper over one another's shoulders. You rarely see them do that. The story was about Sonny Bill and his manager saying he was worth $1 million. A season.

You can offer him, say, $750,000, but the trick is how you keep the other 24 players around him and stay under the $4 million salary cap.

Without them, it's going to be the hardest $750,000 ever earned. No fun at all.

Life's experience has taught me if you're not happy - no matter what money they give you - it's not worth it.

Lots of people make bucketloads of money but are terribly unhappy with their lives and themselves.

What makes you happy is being in good organisations and being there for the right reasons.

The greater the money, the greater the expectation.

No one's a miracle man every weekend.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

Go_The_Doggies
10-03-07, 01:33 PM
SBW has a website? first i've heard lmao.

I actually agree with Mr Bennett about the whole SBW thing!

I stopped reading when it got to Lote tbh.

Tamwelg
10-03-07, 02:13 PM
Great article.

You can tell why he has been the coach of a successful for so long and why he has continually been asked to coach Queensland and Australia.

I have articles written by Bennett, he rarely shows any emotion on the sidelines, but when reading pieces like this you can get a feel for what he is all about.

Future Star
10-03-07, 02:28 PM
I like Bennet, he calles a box a box, sees things as they are.

Steve
10-03-07, 02:43 PM
The job of a manager is to get the best deal for his player, no doubt. But is it starting to hurt the game?

Most first graders already get damn fine salaries by comparison to the average aussie. If we raise the cap (probably should be raised every few years anyhow), or even remove the cap, the money has to come from somewhere. Will it just be sponsors? Or will the game ticket prices increase too? Will merchandise become even more expensive?

I thought i'd have a look at some pro sports overseas. To see the Toronto Maple Leaf's play, well, I saw 1 ticket, obstructed view, $155. Cheapest tickets were over $80 and plenty in the 3-500 range, and I think for the 4 figure seats, i'd want to be on bench with the players.

So how much is enough? On top of their salary the players get numerous sponsorship deals, especially the popular players such as Sonny Bill.

Rugby league is such a grass roots game, with even the top players friendly and approachable. We're already losing identities. The Brisbane Broncos no longer play out of Lang Park. It's the Ergon Energy Broncos playing from Suncorp Stadium. Maybe it's unstoppable, and in a few years the average fan can only dream of attending games, having to fork out cash just to get an autograph from the megastars of the game.

Hopefully that's a long way off and will never happen, heck, until every game is consistently selling out, I can't see that happening. But with individual players demanding a million a season, things are going wrong.

Hopefully rugby union and its cash will just remain the new England for retiring older players, and not clean out the younger talent coming through with the offers of big money.

Old Diehard
10-03-07, 06:16 PM
Great article - makes you think!

DIEHARD
10-03-07, 06:17 PM
It is probably a MySpace.