PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos victorious over Great Britain in tough Test Match

DIEHARD
06-11-05, 10:02 AM
Australia has bravely held on for a 20-6 Tri Nations win over Great Britain in atrocious conditions at Wigan's JJB Stadium.

The Kangaroos led 8-0 at halftime and despite an Adrian Morley inspired second half comeback, the Australians lifted with two tries in the final five minutes to seal the match and perhaps a final against New Zealand.

The Kangaroos and Kiwis each have two wins already this series and Great Britain must win both of its last two games by considerable margins to sneak into the final on for-and-against.

Great Britain faces New Zealand next week while the Kangaroos play a friendly Test match against France.

St George Illawarra centre Matt Cooper was the star for the Kangaroos with two four-pointers while fullback Anthony Minichiello scored the other.

Cooper ran 80m untouched in the 18th minute after plucking a speculative Keiron Cunningham pass out of the air.

His second try came in the 78th minute after superb ball work from the Kangaroos in wet weather.

Minichiello's try in the 75th minute had sealed the result after he ran onto a Darren Lockyer inside ball, with Craig Fitzgibbon's conversion putting the score out to 14-6.

Sydney Roosters prop Morley had earlier done his best to lift his side with a barnstorming try in the 48th minute.

He powered onto a short ball and spun through soft Kangaroos defence to score next to the posts to make the scoreline 8-4.

The try will go towards erasing Morley's horror 2003 JJB Stadium blunder when he was sent off after 12 seconds for a high tackle.

Australia was unlucky not to have won by more with at least two try-scoring opportunities butchered midway through the final term by dropped ball.

Mark Gasnier coughed it up in the 58th minute when he had just the fullback to beat and winger Matt King in support and then two minutes later Gasnier's pass was dropped by Luke O'Donnell who was accidentally tripped by Cunningham.

Brent Tate could have scored Australia's second length-of-the-field try in the 32nd minute after a sensational grab from a high cross-field bomb.

Tate landed on his feet and had motored into clear space with 70m left to the line when Morley made a superb try-saving tackle.

AUSTRALIAN KANGAROOS 20 (Tries: Cooper 2, Minichiello. Goals: Fitzgibbon 4/5)

Defeat

GREAT BRITAIN and IRELAND LIONS 6 (Tries: Morley. Goals: Sinfield 1/1)

Crowd: 25,004 @ JJB Stadium, Wigan.
Referee: Tim Mander

Source: http://www.NRL.co

DIEHARD
06-11-05, 10:04 AM
Lions v Kangaroos by the clock!

Final score: Great Britain 6-20 Australia

80 mins: Great Britain fall short despite a far better display than last week but they will be left very disappointed by another loss as they are rooted to the foot of the Tri-Nations table.

78 mins: Great Britain 6-20 Australia
The Minichiello try has knocked Great Britain for six and some neat passing allows Mark Gasnier and Ben Kennedy to get the ball to Matt Cooper who inflicts more misery on the Lions with his second try and Craig Fitzgibbon adds the extras.

76 mins: Australia pile on the pressure again and despite some desperate defending by Great Britain, Darren Lockyer passes to Anthony Minichiello who goes over. Craig Fitzgibbon virtually makes the game safe with his 100th international point.

74 mins: Paul Johnson gives away a penalty in front of the posts less than 20 metres from the line but Craig Fitzgibbon misses the kick.

72 mins:Willie Mason picks the ball up from a poor Paul Deacon kick and threatens a breakaway. Although Leon Pryce gets to Mason, he gives away a penalty to ease the pressure on Australia.

70 mins: Matt Cooper lets the ball drift out short of the halfway line giving Great Britain the chance to build.

69 mins: Adrian Morley comes back in for Keiron Cunningham.

65 mins: Craig Fitzgibbon loses the ball with a knock-on and Great Britain put in some some solid play but Martin Gleeson commits an error at the other end.

62 mins: As the match enters the final quarter, there are signs of fatigue on both sides and one mistake could prove fatal.

58 mins: Australia break forward but Mark Gasnier knocks on with the line at his mercy but Paul Wellens is waiting to make the tackle.

57 mins: A moment of magic by Australian winger Brent Tate who takes the ball under his own posts and manages to make 20 metres to ease the pressure on the Australians.

55 mins: Adrian Morley is forced off with a shoulder problem and is replaced by Jamie Thackray.

52 mins: Conditions are deteriorating at the JJB Stadium with the heavy rain falling but the Morley try has sparked Great Britain into life.

49 mins: Great Britain 6-8 Australia
Great Britain's patience is rewarded. A mistake by Jason Ryles puts them in a strong postion and Keiron Cunningham sets up Adrian Morley for his first try for his country since 1996 and Kevin Sinfield makes no mistake with the extras.

48 mins: Great Britain are finding it hard to penetrate the Australian line but they have started the second half brightly.

44 mins: A good passage of play by Great Britain puts them in a good position and they need to be strong and maintain their composure.

42 mins: A strong tackle by vice-captain Brian Carney puts Trent Barrett into touch short of the line.

1915: Darren Lockyer gets the second half underway and Paul Wellens drops his high kick.

40 mins: The half finishes with Australia the happier at the break with their narrow lead.

38 mins: Great Britain put in a promising spell of play and Stuart Fielden is held up just short of the line.

34 mins: A mistake by Martin Gleeson gives Australia a scrum on the halfway line.

32 mins: The rain is falling heavier and Great Britain are starting to get more off-loads but a high kick by Paul Deacon is grabbed by Brent Tate who is stopped in his tracks by a superb tackle by Adrian Morley.

29 mins: A penalty for Great Britain and Thackray is looking lively but the Australia defence is holding firm.

24 mins: Hull forward Jamie Thackray comes on for his international debut along with Mickey Higham for Adrian Morley and Keiron Cunningham.

21 mins: Great Britain are rocked by Australia's try and they need to recover their composure.

19 mins: Great Britain 0-8 Australia
A sloppy pass by Keiron Cunningham is intercepted by Matt Cooper and he goes on a 70-metre run for a try against the run of play and Craig Fitzgibbon converts.

15 mins: Keiron Cunningham is penalised for a high tackle to hand the initiative back to Australia.

14 mins: Kevin Sinfield and Paul Johnson give Great Brtain some vital metres and Anthony Minichiello commits a rare error with a knock-on to put the Lions in a superb position but they cannot find their way over the line.

9 mins: Keiron Cunningham sends through a lovely kick and Matt King has to be quick to guide it out for a goal line drop-out.

5 mins: Australia are well in control of the game. Danny Buderus sends over a high kick and although Luke O'Donnell goes over for a try, referee Tim Mander penalises the visitors for a knock-on.

4mins: Great Britain 0-2 Australia
An early penalty for Australia for off-side and Craig Fitzgibbon slots the ball between the posts.

2 mins: Paul Wellens drops an early Darren Lockyer kick, leading to a moment of concern for Great Britain.

18:17: Paul Deacon gets the game underway

18:14: The presentations are completed and the players, officials and spectators await the national anthems as the tension rises.

18:11: Both teams emerge in front of a sell-out crowd in Wigan. Heavy rain has fallen on the JJB Stadium surface which could make for tricky conditions during the game.

Source: BBC

DeeGan
06-11-05, 04:01 PM
Well, with a hangover, I watched the replay this morning on FOXTEL, it was a tougher Test than most expected...I did say 'beware the wounded GB Lion" ;)

GB can hold their heads high after this test, they were in this game up to their knees and could of easily stole victory when trailing 6-8 later in the second half. Paul Wellens (who IMO was poor again) had the over lap attacking 10m out from the tryline and could of put Pryce in yet chose to take on the Aussies on his own. Stupid, stupid play that has gone un-noticed by GB fans who are now calling their team a "international sporting joke" which is rather unfair and shows a lack of any sort of idea about the game rugby league on their part.

The weather really helped GB and it became a tough slog up the middle for the majority of the game.

My Australian player ratings:

1. Minichello - 8 - Barring one handling error, he was sensational in tough conditions for any fullback. Led the side with 152m to his name with match winning try.

2. King - 7 - Did nothing wrong, made 108m in all polished performance.

3. Gasnier - 8 - Always looked dangerous with ball in hand, the best runner from dummy half it has to be said as well. Defensively sound as well.

4. Cooper - 8 - Great game, won myself some money for first try scorer and looked right at home in this test. Two try effort, Jamie Lyon has one hell of a fight on his hands to reclaim a test centre position.

5. Tate - 7 - Easily could get a higher rating here for that one play where he made 20m where by rights he should of been pegged in his own in-goal. Much improved showing defensively as well.

6. Lockyer - 7 - Quiet in a game that was going to be won by the forward battle. Set up the match winning try to Minichello, defensively was good and his kicking game improved the longer the match went.

7. Prince - 6 - Tough test to make your debut in if your a halfback and Prince found it hard to make an real impact with his running or kicking game. He will have a bigger game next weekend.

8. Civoniceva - 6 - Made 79m and 24 tackles. Again, nothing to write home about. I would start O'Meley or Ryles in his place as alot his work is done with little impact.

9. Buderus - 6 - Very busy defensively (31 tackles in 50-55 minutes) though for the third test in a row, not much attacking wise.

10. Price - 7 - Made some incisive runs when needed as he always does at all levels. Improved on last hit out.

11. O'Donnell - 7 - Had to adjust his game to 'cover' Lockyer and his stats suffered a little for it though he was still solid this morning. What a breakout tour this is proving to be for the Cowboy.

12. Fitzgibbon - 8 - Goal kicking was important in this test, he delivered. Made 40 tackles, 101m and I ate some humble pie here as I was calling for his head. With no goalkicker, he will start as long as he is healthy. His running has more of an impact than the previous two tests.

13. Kennedy - 6 - Quiet game from BK in a test where if I knew the conditions before the match, he would be my nomination to pick up M.O.M. Made one great pass to Gasnier which set up Cooper's second try though was quiet for the majority.

14. Barret - 6 - Didn't make the impact of previous tests.

15. Ryles - 6 - Got stuck in as soon as he came on the field, though was quieter than normal. Maybe the injury had something to do with it.

16. O'Meley - 7 - Another strong performance off the bench for O'Meley, again, I cannot see how we are not starting him. O'Meley makes impact in attack and defence, 22 tackles, 14 hit ups for 122m, enough said.

17. Mason - 6 - Made on great run after another poor kick from Deacon, relatively quiet and limited opportunities given.

GB were best served by Stuart Fielden AGAIN. What a prop this guy is, a new age prop in the mould of Jason Ryles and Paul Harrogan.

Adrian Morley was good (what a tackle on Tate!), Carney was solid, Keiron Cunningham was always threatening.

Jamie Thackray should of saw more playing time IMO, he looked damaging when on the field though did not get enough minutes.

GB will not win a test match with Paul Deacon at halfback, in short, he is not up to test level to put it bluntly. No, I am not going to push for Rob Burrow who has not showed he is up to either, though I think GB are in a bind here. I can see why they would stick with the familiar halves combo from Bradford, though he does not appear to be a long term prospect.

What a shame Danny McGuire is injured is all I can say.

Great test, loved every minute of it.

Congrats to our boys! :afro:

DeeGan

DIEHARD
06-11-05, 04:20 PM
Horne and Thorman for halves? Deacon and Harris are garbage.

McGuire is their only class half and he is out.

Morley's tackle on Tate was amazing!

Super Cronk
06-11-05, 05:54 PM
Well, with a hangover, I watched the replay this morning on FOXTEL, it was a tougher Test than most expected...I did say 'beware the wounded GB Lion" ;)

GB can hold their heads high after this test, they were in this game up to their knees and could of easily stole victory when trailing 6-8 later in the second half. Paul Wellens (who IMO was poor again) had the over lap attacking 10m out from the tryline and could of put Pryce in yet chose to take on the Aussies on his own. Stupid, stupid play that has gone un-noticed by GB fans who are now calling their team a "international sporting joke" which is rather unfair and shows a lack of any sort of idea about the game rugby league on their part.

The weather really helped GB and it became a tough slog up the middle for the majority of the game.

My Australian player ratings:

1. Minichello - 8 - Barring one handling error, he was sensational in tough conditions for any fullback. Led the side with 152m to his name with match winning try.

2. King - 7 - Did nothing wrong, made 108m in all polished performance.

3. Gasnier - 8 - Always looked dangerous with ball in hand, the best runner from dummy half it has to be said as well. Defensively sound as well.

4. Cooper - 8 - Great game, won myself some money for first try scorer and looked right at home in this test. Two try effort, Jamie Lyon has one hell of a fight on his hands to reclaim a test centre position.

5. Tate - 7 - Easily could get a higher rating here for that one play where he made 20m where by rights he should of been pegged in his own in-goal. Much improved showing defensively as well.

6. Lockyer - 7 - Quiet in a game that was going to be won by the forward battle. Set up the match winning try to Minichello, defensively was good and his kicking game improved the longer the match went.

7. Prince - 6 - Tough test to make your debut in if your a halfback and Prince found it hard to make an real impact with his running or kicking game. He will have a bigger game next weekend.

8. Civoniceva - 6 - Made 79m and 24 tackles. Again, nothing to write home about. I would start O'Meley or Ryles in his place as alot his work is done with little impact.

9. Buderus - 6 - Very busy defensively (31 tackles in 50-55 minutes) though for the third test in a row, not much attacking wise.

10. Price - 7 - Made some incisive runs when needed as he always does at all levels. Improved on last hit out.

11. O'Donnell - 7 - Had to adjust his game to 'cover' Lockyer and his stats suffered a little for it though he was still solid this morning. What a breakout tour this is proving to be for the Cowboy.

12. Fitzgibbon - 8 - Goal kicking was important in this test, he delivered. Made 40 tackles, 101m and I ate some humble pie here as I was calling for his head. With no goalkicker, he will start as long as he is healthy. His running has more of an impact than the previous two tests.

13. Kennedy - 6 - Quiet game from BK in a test where if I knew the conditions before the match, he would be my nomination to pick up M.O.M. Made one great pass to Gasnier which set up Cooper's second try though was quiet for the majority.

14. Barret - 6 - Didn't make the impact of previous tests.

15. Ryles - 6 - Got stuck in as soon as he came on the field, though was quieter than normal. Maybe the injury had something to do with it.

16. O'Meley - 7 - Another strong performance off the bench for O'Meley, again, I cannot see how we are not starting him. O'Meley makes impact in attack and defence, 22 tackles, 14 hit ups for 122m, enough said.

17. Mason - 6 - Made on great run after another poor kick from Deacon, relatively quiet and limited opportunities given.

GB were best served by Stuart Fielden AGAIN. What a prop this guy is, a new age prop in the mould of Jason Ryles and Paul Harrogan.

Adrian Morley was good (what a tackle on Tate!), Carney was solid, Keiron Cunningham was always threatening.

Jamie Thackray should of saw more playing time IMO, he looked damaging when on the field though did not get enough minutes.

GB will not win a test match with Paul Deacon at halfback, in short, he is not up to test level to put it bluntly. No, I am not going to push for Rob Burrow who has not showed he is up to either, though I think GB are in a bind here. I can see why they would stick with the familiar halves combo from Bradford, though he does not appear to be a long term prospect.

What a shame Danny McGuire is injured is all I can say.

Great test, loved every minute of it.

Congrats to our boys! :afro:

DeeGan

i was up at 5 watching the game.... :curse:

i pretty much agree with your aussie ratings...i thought petro was good in the first half he was really getting stuck in....didnt have a huge impact but he improved on past tests. Barret was a waste on the bench. I thought prince had a solid but quite game...his kicking game was off, but i think we can let him go for 1 week.

all in all it was a good tough game ...both teams had the ball handling skills of a lesbian.

oh and lockyer showed why he is in there over barret.

League Freak
06-11-05, 06:14 PM
It was a typical Aus vs GB Test match.

We won it easly at the end.

Steelers
06-11-05, 06:47 PM
i was up at 5 watching the game.... :curse:

lol us qld'ers were up at 4 :p

Super Cronk
06-11-05, 06:48 PM
lol us qld'ers were up at 4 :p

oh whinge whinge :laugh:

thing is tho..i went to bed at 2.00 >woke up at 5.00 :whatd:

Steelers
06-11-05, 06:53 PM
oh whinge whinge :laugh:

thing is tho..i went to bed at 2.00 >woke up at 5.00 :whatd:

I went to bed at midnight, woke up at 4, left to go to Gabba at 6 (2 1/2 hours on train :p )

Dakink
07-11-05, 07:44 AM
I only got to watch the last 20 - can anyone tell my why Prince wasnt on the ground??

Queenslander
07-11-05, 10:35 AM
I only got to watch the last 20 - can anyone tell my why Prince wasnt on the ground??

He got replaced by Barrett :whatd: Prince wasnt playing that bad, it was his first game. Hopefully Barrett doesnt get a big head and think that he will now play on the run on side, cause that aint going to happen :laugh:

Dakink
07-11-05, 11:43 AM
Ah was wondering that - probably just cause Barrett is a little bigger and more solid defensively. Maybe coming down to the crunch Bennett wanted a little experience out there. The run would be perfect for Prince as he now has experienced the game!

Super Cronk
07-11-05, 12:00 PM
Ah was wondering that - probably just cause Barrett is a little bigger and more solid defensively. Maybe coming down to the crunch Bennett wanted a little experience out there. The run would be perfect for Prince as he now has experienced the game!

by experince you mean test experince tho right?

i think some people forget that prince has played halfback in a GF winning side. played 130 odd games aswell as 3 SOO games and been coached by bennet for a few years...maybe not experinced in the Roo's jersey but he still has enough to do well in the aussie team.

Dakink
07-11-05, 12:19 PM
Yep that is exactly what I meant. Test football is different to club. There are plenty of club stars that dont transpond to well to rep. That was his first test and he has never paced the Poms before - different players and style etc.

ridgey
07-11-05, 05:23 PM
well i think barrett should replace prince at halfback.prince played poorly regardless of conditions,or the fact it was his first test.a guy with origin and GF experience should be able to adapt to test football straight away and i'm sorry but prince didn't.GB put pressure on him and he fell apart.his kicking game was woeful and that's why bennett replaced him.

don't take it personally scotty lovers but barrett should be half IMO.

Steelers
07-11-05, 05:28 PM
well i think barrett should replace prince at halfback.prince played poorly regardless of conditions,or the fact it was his first test.a guy with origin and GF experience should be able to adapt to test football straight away and i'm sorry but prince didn't.GB put pressure on him and he fell apart.his kicking game was woeful and that's why bennett replaced him.

I agree that Barrett would probably be the better half option ATM, but it was his first game + the conditions were poor + IMO he is the future halfback for many years to come + you shouldn't sack someone after 1 bad performance.

ridgey
07-11-05, 05:35 PM
I agree that Barrett would probably be the better half option ATM, but it was his first game + the conditions were poor + IMO he is the future halfback for many years to come + you shouldn't sack someone after 1 bad performance.

why not?
i've read many a post calling for the heads of players who have had good performances.

Teegy
07-11-05, 05:37 PM
Barrett IMO should be the half with prince off the bench. Barrett has a better mind for rep footy. prince is still learning

DeeGan
07-11-05, 05:38 PM

Yet ridgey your quick to defend Buderus and Johns after there last sub-par performance vs NZ:

geez isn't it funny how the knives have been taken out of locky's back and are slowly being inserted into bedsy and joey's!
everybody has bad games people and lockyer just proved that ya can't keep player's of that class down for too long,let's not write buderus and johns(if he plays)off too early.oh and the reason joey hasn't showed much form in the test arena for some time was probably because he hadn't played a test since 03 through injury.funny that hey

Can't have it both ways unfortunately ;) I would perhaps read over the underlined and give Scott Prince the benefit of the doubt. As you said, "ya can't keep players of that class down for too long".

DeeGan

ridgey
07-11-05, 05:56 PM
Yet ridgey your quick to defend Buderus and Johns after there last sub-par performance vs NZ:

Can't have it both ways unfortunately ;) I would perhaps read over the underlined and give Scott Prince the benefit of the doubt. As you said, "ya can't keep players of that class down for too long".

DeeGan

fair comment.

hey deegan are we still dropping civoniceva,fitzy and tate.

Steelers
07-11-05, 05:59 PM
fair comment.

I think all 3 of them should go (but Fitzy is G/K :angry: ) and they haven't performed well during the whole series. Prince has only had 1 game.

ridgey
07-11-05, 06:01 PM
I think all 3 of them should go (but Fitzy is G/K :angry: ) and they haven't performed well during the whole series. Prince has only had 1 game.

and thats your opinion steelers.
barrett in for prince,that's mine.

DeeGan
07-11-05, 07:46 PM
fair comment.

You really took my post well ridgey :laugh:;)

As for Fitzgibbon:

As for Civoniceva:

Fitzgibbon improved on the weekend though I stick by the opinion that he could do with an off-season. With Johns being ruled out of the tour he was always going to keep his place as he is the goalkicker though that aside, I believe there are players who were deserving of a shot after his lacklustre end to 2005 and average hit out vs New Zealand.

As for Petero, I still would not have him in ahead of O'Meley or Ryles. He has little impact in attack or defense and the other two younger guys are IMO (the key little accronym here ridgey) are better props. Your a fan of Petero, I am not as keen. Unfortunately part and parcel of the forum world is members disagreeing with you ridgey ;)

As for Tate, you have lost me. Where have I said we should drop Tate?

I questioned the decision to select him in the 3/4 line ahead of Matt Cooper in game one though I did state why Bennett opted for him and could cop the selection. The majority of the rugby league world did.

I questioned from memory his place in the touring squad given Matt Sing for example I thought was hardly done by. Tate missed alot of the year though his reputation and solid back end to the season got him over the line.

I was critical of his defensive reads vs NZ which was poor yet named him in my side to play GB on Sunday morning?

Clutching at straws ridgey ;)

DeeGan

ridgey
08-11-05, 05:00 PM
You really took my post well ridgey :laugh:;)

As for Fitzgibbon:

As for Civoniceva:

Fitzgibbon improved on the weekend though I stick by the opinion that he could do with an off-season. With Johns being ruled out of the tour he was always going to keep his place as he is the goalkicker though that aside, I believe there are players who were deserving of a shot after his lacklustre end to 2005 and average hit out vs New Zealand.

As for Petero, I still would not have him in ahead of O'Meley or Ryles. He has little impact in attack or defense and the other two younger guys are IMO (the key little accronym here ridgey) are better props. Your a fan of Petero, I am not as keen. Unfortunately part and parcel of the forum world is members disagreeing with you ridgey ;)

As for Tate, you have lost me. Where have I said we should drop Tate?

I questioned the decision to select him in the 3/4 line ahead of Matt Cooper in game one though I did state why Bennett opted for him and could cop the selection. The majority of the rugby league world did.

I questioned from memory his place in the touring squad given Matt Sing for example I thought was hardly done by. Tate missed alot of the year though his reputation and solid back end to the season got him over the line.

I was critical of his defensive reads vs NZ which was poor yet named him in my side to play GB on Sunday morning?

Clutching at straws ridgey ;)

DeeGan

sorry all i read was blah blah blah i'm a dirty tramp :thumbsup:

Steelers
08-11-05, 05:10 PM

LOL hope that was sarcasm :p

ridgey
08-11-05, 05:28 PM
LOL hope that was sarcasm :p

yeah it's just for grins :thumbsup:

DeeGan
08-11-05, 10:54 PM

Translation: I have nothing better to offer here and I think I may have been a little off in my attempted sarchasim initially.

Queenslander over and out ;)

:laugh:

DeeGan