PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne spend $1.4m on teen

DIEHARD
06-11-05, 01:34 AM
By Cameron Bell - November 6, 2005

MELBOURNE Storm are poised to outlay more than $1million for an 18-year-old from Macksville that coach Craig Bellamy has described as "a young Laurie Daley".

Greg Inglis, who has played only 13 NRL games, will this week sign one of the most lucrative contracts ever afforded a rookie in the NRL in a deal brokered by manager Allan Gainey that has the potential to earn him well over $1m by the time he is 22.

"I'm cheering about it," Inglis said yesterday. "It's a great deal. I love it down here and I'm just looking forward to everything that is ahead of me."

Speaking from England, where he is assistant coach of the Kangaroos, Bellamy said Inglis was worth every cent.

"If we didn't come up with that sort of money for him, someone else would have," Bellamy said.

"We certainly didn't want to lose him and we think he is certainly worth that sort of money - especially down the track."

Bellamy can't remember being as excited about a young league prospect as he is about Inglis, who will get first crack at centre next year following the departure of Steven Bell to Manly.

"I'm pretty excited about him ... I think he is an exceptional kid," Bellamy said.

"I've been around the game a while and whilst I generally hate comparisons, he reminds me a lot of a young Laurie Daley. I don't like putting pressure on kids but he's a confident sort of kid in a good way and I don't think that comparison would worry him too much."

Inglis is unfazed at the amount of money being thrown at him, despite the fact he has only dipped his toe into the NRL.

"It is a good contract and I've got to show now over the next three or four years that I'm worth it," he said. "I know I've still got plenty to learn but I love it in Melbourne and the coaching staff and all the players are just great to be around.

"I really like the way the club treats its players."

Inglis has his sights on representative football, confirming he wants to play State of Origin for Queensland despite the fact he grew up on the NSW mid-north coast.

"I think there might be better opportunities for me in Queensland and I've had a year up there," he said, referring to when the Storm put him through Wavell High in Year 12.

Inglis has played for the Queensland under-19s but Bellamy said it was too early to talk Origin next year, and expressed surprise he had declared himself a Maroon.

"I don't think it will be a problem for him making either Origin team down the track," Bellamy said. "But I think he needs a full NRL season first. Having said that, he is a very special kid."

The Sunday Telegraph - http://www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
06-11-05, 01:36 AM
Greg Inglis is a super star of the future and hopefully will help keep Karmichael Hunt well away from a Maroons jersey.

We also have Tim Smith....the future for Queensland is bright!

Queenslander
06-11-05, 10:13 AM
Greg Inglis is a super star of the future and hopefully will help keep Karmichael Hunt well away from a Maroons jersey.

We also have Tim Smith....the future for Queensland is bright!

I couldnt agree more, NSW must be quaking in their boots :emp:

DIEHARD
06-11-05, 10:42 AM
I couldnt agree more, NSW must be quaking in their boots :emp:

I can see a new Maroon dynasty coming! It will be the early 1980s all over again.

Especially with the Titans backing up the Maroons with top world class players. :naughty:

The Titans will really help the Maroons over the coming years, they will turbo charge the Queenslanders!

Queenslander
06-11-05, 10:45 AM
I can see a new Maroon dynasty coming! It will be the early 1980s all over again.

Especially with the Titans backing up the Maroons with top world class players. :naughty:

The Titans will really help the Maroons over the coming years, they will turbo charge the Queenslanders!

Yes ten years of maroon brilliance :clap: :clap: i cant wait! That would shut Phil :noidea: Gould up ;)

..::Coops::..
06-11-05, 12:06 PM
i know this is a bit off the topic of inglis and all, but with the talk about origin, what about sammy T - is he QLD eligable?? cos he too would be a great asset down the track.

[BroncosGirl]
06-11-05, 03:55 PM
i know this is a bit off the topic of inglis and all, but with the talk about origin, what about sammy T - is he QLD eligable?? cos he too would be a great asset down the track.

I think he is, he would be a great asset for Qld.

Greg Inglis certainly is a great player.

Super Cronk
06-11-05, 05:49 PM
Im happy as larry about this deal....inglis will be great for the club in a regular position and cannot wait to see him at his best.

Super Cronk
06-11-05, 06:17 PM
hey original idiot....are you still holding onto the slim hope that inglis will go to GC :rolleyes: :noidea:

maybe he will give up the $1 mill + to go to the GC.... :laugh:

DeeGan
06-11-05, 07:49 PM
Smart move, as Bellamy said, if the Storm didn't do this another club would of been more than willing to offer the same sort of money as he is a rare talent and will light up the NRL for years to come starting in 2006.

DeeGan

Ipswich Fan
07-11-05, 01:01 AM
I knew from the moment that i saw him play u/19's for Brisbane Norths that he was a future rep player & i still believe that. I think it's great that Melbourne have shown confidence in the young guy with this deal.

Dakink
07-11-05, 08:45 AM
Oh NO!! We are quacking in our boots!!

Dont make me laugh - A QLD dynasty is nothing but a fantasy!!! Hopefully QLd can become more competitive at least....

Good to see you still have confidence - it's been awhile since a series win hasn't it...;-)

The Original Idiot
07-11-05, 01:48 PM
Many good players show their colours later than this. Inglis will probably take the kicking duties now that Awful Orford is gone.

Super Cronk
07-11-05, 02:03 PM
Many good players show their colours later than this. Inglis will probably take the kicking duties now that Awful Orford is gone.

yep...orford couldnt kick a goal to save his life and inglis is good with the boot.

ridgey
07-11-05, 05:30 PM
worth every cent!

In-Cyde #1
07-11-05, 05:44 PM
What worries me is where are we heading.
Can the game afford to pay $1m for an 18 yo ?
How many more kids out there, are as good as Ingles?
Is this a new 'benchmark' for player payments ?
At some point a players' worth must be questioned.

The Original Idiot
08-11-05, 10:51 AM
The entire reason that people are dumping league for union is money. At least if this trend continues there won't be a Berrick Barnes again.

Dakink
08-11-05, 12:19 PM
Its not like its $1mill per year.
Take a 4 year contract at $250k per year there is a $1mill contract!

Super Cronk
08-11-05, 12:30 PM
Its not like its $1mill per year.
Take a 4 year contract at $250k per year there is a $1mill contract!

yeah...and as bellamy said if they didnt do it someone else would have.

Dakink
08-11-05, 01:57 PM
I think he is or will be worth every cent they pay him.

The Original Idiot
08-11-05, 01:59 PM
Will they pair him with Ryan Shortland during Origin?

Super Cronk
08-11-05, 02:08 PM
Will they pair him with Ryan Shortland during Origin?

If king gets picked for origin and there is a spare spot then walker will most likeyl take over i think. I want shortland to replace king but walker could get the nod ahead of him.

Dakink
08-11-05, 02:11 PM
Say it isnt so!! Bellamy isnt that short of choices is he!!!

Give the young fella a go.. Walker must surely be a last ditch option or only used for pure finishing, he did OK at the Broncos when he was told to stay on his wing.

Super Cronk
08-11-05, 02:15 PM
Say it isnt so!! Bellamy isnt that short of choices is he!!!

Give the young fella a go.. Walker must surely be a last ditch option or only used for pure finishing, he did OK at the Broncos when he was told to stay on his wing.
\

actually we still have steve turner aswell. Who had masive wraps on him untill he got injured and was unable to show us his best...if i were the coach i would pick turner with shortland if slater and king get picked. But i fear bellamy will pick walker....

and dakink...im afraid its a real possibility....but if he does get picked we can always boo the crap out of him

Dakink
08-11-05, 02:41 PM
That would be good to see - Olympic Park resounding with boos English soccer style everytime Walker touches the ball.

..::Coops::..
08-11-05, 03:28 PM
anyone but walker!!! i'd love to be at a game where everytime he touched the ball he got booed !

The Original Idiot
08-11-05, 04:01 PM
That would be good to see - Olympic Park resounding with boos English soccer style everytime Walker touches the ball.
They've already done that at Parra- after Barrett's cheap shot on Marsh late this year. They gave him hell.

ridgey
08-11-05, 05:25 PM

there's never enough people at olympic park for it to have the desired effect :p

Super Cronk
08-11-05, 05:28 PM
there's never enough people at olympic park for it to have the desired effect :p

still louder then you spooners.

ridgey
08-11-05, 05:39 PM
still louder then you spooners.

hook line and super cronk :thumbsup:

Super Cronk
08-11-05, 05:43 PM
hook line and super cronk :thumbsup:

"yeah i was baiting you...haha" blah blah.

you still meant what you said.

ridgey
08-11-05, 05:49 PM
"yeah i was baiting you...haha" blah blah.

you still meant what you said.

well when you've got the spoon and the worlds best player with cotton wool for legs it can't get much worse.

Coaster
08-11-05, 06:17 PM
I think Walker will be one of the best signing for the Storm.

He reminds me of Hodges, a tough apprentiship at the Broncos, and move to Sydney to join the Roosters, where the whole town hates them, and the coaching staff have been picking faults in there game for almost 5 years.

Then a lifeline with a true footballers coach, a decent team and a freash start with a new crowd.

I see nothing but good times ahead for Walker and the Storm.

Dakink
09-11-05, 08:19 AM

He reminds me of Hodges, a tough apprentiship at the Broncos, and move to Sydney to join the Roosters, where the whole town hates them, and the coaching staff have been picking faults in there game for almost 5 years.

Then a lifeline with a true footballers coach, a decent team and a freash start with a new crowd.

Another look at Walker that I hadnt thought of - he was good in Brisbane and did fail miserably down in Sydney. Perhaps Bellamy and co can get the best out of him.. Bellamy was with him in Brisbane.

Teegy
09-11-05, 08:47 AM
Only reason wlaker was good is because he had locky putting him into the open and he is fast enough to finish it off.

The Original Idiot
10-11-05, 07:21 PM

Melbourne's feeder clubs have some pretty damn awesome young backline talent coming through. Walker is just putting his **** in their way.

Super Cronk
10-11-05, 07:24 PM
Melbourne's feeder clubs have some pretty damn awesome young backline talent coming through. Walker is just putting his **** in their way.

Exactly.

But we can always hope that he gets an injury or just plays crap in the trial games and doesnt get a call up.

The Original Idiot
10-11-05, 07:26 PM
I wonder if he'll end up playing at the Devils :shudders: Geyer did that once.

Super Cronk
10-11-05, 07:26 PM
I wonder if he'll end up playing at the Devils :shudders: Geyer did that once.

nah i think he is going to play at the bears.

The Original Idiot
10-11-05, 07:32 PM
^ Ah, yes, I forgot. The Storm don't pick any backs out of them, if he gets shunted there we're safe.