PDA

View Full Version : Titans Pull Out of Tuqiri Race

BING103
28-02-07, 06:07 PM
Heard on news, Cant find Link!

Coaster
28-02-07, 06:11 PM
We dont need him.
Would love to have him, but i dont want to spend that cash on a winger.

Hope he comes back to RL, he is wasted in that yawnion

DIEHARD
28-02-07, 07:08 PM
So that leaves Souths and Cronulla?

Capital_Shark
28-02-07, 07:11 PM
So that leaves Souths and Cronulla?

Yep. And I'm a bit like Coaster, while I'd love to have a bloke like Tuqiri in Sharks colours, no winger/centre/fullback is worth near on a quarter of the salary cap. Go for it Souths.

Capital_Shark
28-02-07, 07:41 PM
Titans withdraw from Tuqiri race
February 28, 2007
Adam McBride

The Gold Coast Titans have this afternoon officially withdrawn from the race to gain the services of dual international Lote Tuqiri.

Tuqiri, who played for the Brisbane Broncos before switching codes in 2002, has put up his hand with a bidding contest being staged for his services beyond 2007.

While many NRL clubs have approached and tabled offers none it appears have been tempting enough to sway the former Kangaroo and currently Wallaby squad member back to Rugby League.

Titans Managing Director Michael Searle today advised that after informal discussions with Tuqiri?s business mentor Les Ross the club would not be making any formal offers for the versatile defender.

?Lote is an exciting player and great athlete but more importantly he is a thorough professional and a genuinely nice fellow, however our focus as a club is on ensuring that we are able to retain and nurture the many young talented players who have been identified across our catchment areas,? said Searle.

Salary Cap restrictions and a focus on developing the local junior base helped to assist in the decision. The Titans go into season 2007 with a formidable line-up boasting star recruits such as Luke Bailey, Scott Prince and Mat Rogers just to name a few.

?We have made a commitment to the community to invest in and develop the region?s junior talent, and unfortunately securing Lote?s signature could have restricted our ability to provide NRL pathways for our youth,? Searle added.

Meanwhile, the Titans have included journeyman Chris Walker at fullback for this Friday night?s trial match against the Penrith Panthers at Carrara Stadium (kick-off 7:30pm QLD time).

Walker is also poised to sign a one-year incentive based deal with club officials and Walker?s management set to put pen to paper early next week.

The Titans go in their final match before the season opener with a strong line-up despite Brad Meyers and Mark Minichiello being ruled out with niggling injuries.

Source: sportsaustralia.com (http://sportsaustralia.com/articles/news.php?id=785)

PROMETHEUS
28-02-07, 08:22 PM
Come on sharks,sign him...anyone but souths! :nope:

Future Star
28-02-07, 08:25 PM
Come on sharks,sign him...anyone but souths! :nope:

Souths are awesome, and you know it, boy!

Anyone but Roosters.

mb63
28-02-07, 08:43 PM
Smart move by Titans,he would have been too expensive.

Go_The_Doggies
28-02-07, 08:45 PM
Lo he has SOOOOOOOOO many options.

Its either stay in Union, with the Reds or Tahs *happy happy joy joy*

or go back to league and play for the Sharks or Souths.

Souths have to be an inch close of going over the salary cap!

Titanium_BD1103
28-02-07, 09:22 PM
I agree Kim.... and they want to go after SBW.. I reckon your first team to audit for the salary cap is right there.. ;)

Good option by the Titans, no player is worth a larger amount than the rest... and Tuqiri will come to a new club for the challenge and a chance to play football. If he wants money no NRL club will get him.. Union offers too much... but yes good option IMO... :)

jake86
28-02-07, 10:27 PM
:happy: I never thought the non-signing of a dual international would be a good thing!

Asking price is far too high...higher indeed than what Lockyer or Johns would earn (who would you prefer in your team?... :hmm: ...)

In saying that i would like to see him back in the nrl...sign him up souths!

DIEHARD
28-02-07, 10:35 PM
I think it would be a terrible shame for fans but more particularly Lote to stay in union. Come back to league and enjoy yourself Lote, it's in your blood.

I still don't fully believe all the clubs are out of the race, I believe there is still some maneuvering going on.

It would hurt to see him in a Sharks jersey, Souths...I'd like that. But it hurts more to see him wear union jerseys.

jake86
28-02-07, 10:45 PM
I think it would be a terrible shame for fans but more particularly Lote to stay in union.

Agreed but he's fairly unlikely to leave unless the asking price drops dramatically. Surely no club would place that much of their salary cap (600K?) on a winger

SuperCliffy#01
01-03-07, 11:06 AM
Well i keep hearing rumours that he will sign for Manly, considering he lives in the Northern Beaches of Sydney, we'll see wont we in about 2 weeks.cya. :!:

ozynorts
01-03-07, 11:14 AM
Agreed but he's fairly unlikely to leave unless the asking price drops dramatically. Surely no club would place that much of their salary cap (600K?) on a winger
I couldn't agree more with the comments about a winger being paid that much although he would likely come back to league as a centre. People seem to think centres are worth that sort of money (Gasnier??). I would prefer to see the Titans go after O'Mealey or another good prop to support Bull Bailey and use the excess money left over to bring on the next generation.

ozynorts
01-03-07, 11:29 AM
I think it would be a terrible shame for fans but more particularly Lote to stay in union. Come back to league and enjoy yourself Lote, it's in your blood.

I still don't fully believe all the clubs are out of the race, I believe there is still some maneuvering going on.

It would hurt to see him in a Sharks jersey, Souths...I'd like that. But it hurts more to see him wear union jerseys.
This was online at rugbyheaven.smh.com.au
with this sort of money being offered he won't come back.

Tuqiri deal may keep him out of league

Rupert Guinness
Thursday, March 1, 2007 Print this article
Email to a friend

The Australian Rugby Union is considering offering Lote Tuqiri a five-year contract in a bid to prevent rugby league ever signing him.

It is understood Tuqiri's management is seeking an extended deal, which, if secured, would almost certainly lock the winger in until the end of his career.

When contacted by the Herald yesterday, the ARU would not comment on the possibility of a five-year deal or negotiations, other than ARU high-performance director Pat Wilson saying: "We are hoping to have final discussions with his representatives in the coming weeks and to bring this to a conclusion."

Tuqiri's business adviser, Les Ross, who is negotiating with the ARU on the NSW winger's behalf, did not return calls yesterday.

But the ARU - having reportedly valued Tuqiri at almost $800,000 a year with $150,000 from the Waratahs, $500,000 from an ARU top-up and $130,000 in match payments - is now thought to be considering three contract options. That is despite the initially strong interest in the 27-year-old from up to six NRL clubs apparently waning due to the fact they cannot match the money.

advertisement - story continues below

After Brisbane and the Gold Coast announced they would pull out of the race, the two NRL clubs left are Cronulla and South Sydney.

The touted ARU option to fend off their raid with a five-year deal from 2008 to 2012 would leave the fight for Tuqiri's signature between the Waratahs and Reds. It would also take him beyond the 2011 World Cup to probable retirement at 33.

The two other options the ARU could put to Tuqiri are:

- a four-year deal starting from next year to the 2011 World Cup;

- a five-year deal that includes an upgrade on this year - the final year on his current contract - also taking him to the 2011 World Cup.

But of the three options, a five-year deal starting in 2008 would be the biggest risk, and not just because it would blow the $3.2 million budgeted for four years. Most players struggle to back up after a World Cup year, let alone when they would be in the last season of a playing career - as Tuqiri probably would be. However, a five-year deal including a topped up final year of his current deal would be viable, as it would also offer a World Cup send-off to his career.

bigjim
01-03-07, 01:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, it's never been about the money ;) ;)

so long as he gets $600,000, more than Lockyer, some would suggest the best player in the world gets.

Nah, it's never been about the money. :nope:

bigjim
01-03-07, 01:47 PM
Reality check.

Whom among us, could honestly say, they would take a pay cut of $300,000+ /year. Anything over 3 years is a loss of over one million dollars.

Honestly, he will not be back anytime soon.

Only the Broncos could lure him back, maybe in a couple years.

Although, you never know, he might be offered a lucrative contract by St Helens. :D

DIEHARD
01-03-07, 02:40 PM
I'd make the decision to take a pay cut off an already substantial pay packet to play the game I love. It would be well worth not having the regret in my retirement years.

Life is about living not stacking Gs.

Capital_Shark
01-03-07, 03:02 PM
I'd make the decision to take a pay cut off an already substantial pay packet to play the game I love. It would be well worth not having the regret in my retirement years.

Life is about living not stacking Gs.

You wouldn't have left in the first place though lol

DIEHARD
01-03-07, 03:14 PM
You wouldn't have left in the first place though lol

Yea good point that! Hahaha.

mr jemo
01-03-07, 06:33 PM
it was pretty apparent he is not to genuine about returning to league hes not a real man like matty rogers doing it for the love of the game not the cash

Sydney Titan
01-03-07, 09:32 PM
Does he think he is wearing number 6 or 7 for the price he is asking, I would bet on him staying with rugby as he can't afford to drop 500,000 a year. The Maximum you would pay a winger would be 300,000 and that is pushing it. Plus 50,000 outside payments..

He should be wearing a balaclava as he is trying to rob the NRL teams

PROMETHEUS
02-03-07, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately south sydney seem hell bent on throwing any amount of money to buy success just like their neighbours,the roosters :nope:

6one9
02-03-07, 09:45 PM
Well if you got the money to throw at him why not, his apparent frustration at the end of the Tahs vs. force game could be a sign he really isnt happy playing rugby. Seems he wants to have his cake and eat it too. If the rugby season continues to go this bad then I would put money on him taking a pay cut and just saying f%$k it. There is a huge try drought in Australian rugby at the moment and Lote hardly gets the ball, all this is adding up.
At the end of the day Lote is the type of player that can demand that sort of money (in either code) and there will always be someone willing to pay the asking price.

PEACE

Go_The_Doggies
03-03-07, 09:47 AM
If Lote is true in what he says how he wants to go back to league, he'll sign with the sharks!! Because if he stays in Union, and we all know hes unhappy, and hes having a cry cos his teams suck and hes not good enough to score a try in 6 months, but IMO if he stays in Union, it has to be for the money!

I don't want him in Union or League, he acts like a little kid when he doesnt have his way, IE: last night!!!