PDA

View Full Version : NZ: Kiwis invite Andrew Johns on tour

Queenslander
27-02-07, 03:57 PM
Kiwis invite legend Johns on tour
Thursday, 22nd February 2007

Legendary Australia scrum-half Andrew Johns has been invited to turn out for New Zealand on their centenary tour of Great Britain later this year.

The offer has been made to honour the contribution of Dally Messenger, the Australian who played for the Kiwis on their first British tour back in 1907.
The 32-year-old Johns retired from representative rugby in 2005.

New Zealand have also asked Ruben Wiki and Nigel Vagana to come out of international retirement for the tour.

Messenger, one of Australian rugby league's all-time greats, was a guest player in the first-ever international between New Zealand known as the All Golds - and the Northern Union in 1907.

"Having the status of players like that playing in a game to mark our centenary and the birth of international rugby league - and to mark the end of their representative careers - is a pretty good formula for us," said NZRL general manager Peter Cordtz.

Johns is widely regarded as one of the best rugby league players the sport has ever produced, having won the Golden Boot as the international game's outstanding player twice.

He won 21 caps for the Kangaroos - winning the 1995 and 2000 World Cups - in addition to an illustrious State of Origin career with New South Wales.
Wiki, the most-capped player in rugby league, and Vagana announced their retirement from international rugby after last November's Tri Nations Series final defeat by Australia.

New Zealand are expected to play three Tests against Great Britain in addition to other warm-up matches.

Source: BBC

Go_The_Doggies
27-02-07, 06:36 PM
Old news.......

Hope Ruben and Nige accept! Would be the perfect farewell tour imo!

Future Star
27-02-07, 06:50 PM
As long as DL gets the chance one day, i hope Joey accepts.

Steelers
27-02-07, 08:41 PM
I wonder what the International eligibility rules would have to say about this ;)

DIEHARD
28-02-07, 01:53 AM
Old news.......

It isn't old news because before this it was not official.

I wonder what the International eligibility rules would have to say about this ;)

It won't be a Test Match, it will be an exhibition game. New Zealand will play as the Kiwis for the Test Matches.

I think it is fantastic that they are honouring our rich history, particularly a moment that had significant impact on all three major rugby league nations. Just as long as the Kiwis are still playing a legit Test Series.

Facts that shouldn't have been missing from any decent rugby league article. It gives people the incorrect idea and the RLIF, NZRL and ARL should waste no time in clarifying Johns' participation.

Go_The_Doggies
28-02-07, 11:26 AM
Dally Messenger did it back 100 years ago, thats why this is all happening.

I will be really gutted if Ruben and Nige don't take part in it, cos I see this as the perfect way to end their 2 awesome inernational careers hopefully since Joey has accepted it'll inspire nige and rubes to!

Oh and the article hat is poted in this thread is old news, its only official news that hes accepted, the article just states he has been officially invited, which is still like 2-3 weeks old lol.

DIEHARD
28-02-07, 12:36 PM
Anything changing from being pie in the sky to official news. Is new news. There is an absolute galaxy between the two.

Yes it has been an idea for a very long time, but it didn't mean anything until yesterday.

~lee~
28-02-07, 08:09 PM
Yes it has been an idea for a very long time, but it didn't mean anything until yesterday.

It had been posted on websites about a week ago.

It will be interesting to see Johns in a Kiwi shirt - or does he have a special shirt? Should be top class games between us.

~lee~
02-03-07, 05:42 AM
Legend Johns to represent Kiwis
bbc.co.uk

Legendary Australia scrum-half Andrew Johns has agreed to play for New Zealand on their centenary tour of Great Britain later this year.
The Kiwis made the offer to honour the contribution of Dally Messenger, the Australian who played for the Kiwis on their first British tour back in 1907.

The 32-year-old Johns retired from representative rugby in 2005.

"It's a great honour - there's no bigger name in rugby league history than Dally Messenger," said Johns.

"I have always thought, 'I wonder how good it would be to play behind a Kiwi pack'."

Johns, who has been given a release to play by his club side Newcastle Knights, will appear in a one-off match against a Great Britain XIII, designed to mirror the 1907 game against the "Northern Union".

New Zealand have also asked Ruben Wiki and Nigel Vagana to come out of international retirement for the tour, while Catalans Dragons half-back Stacey Jones could also feature.

Wiki, the most-capped player in rugby league history, and Vagana, New Zealand's record tryscorer, announced their retirement from international rugby after last November's Tri Nations Series final defeat by Australia.

"We're also hoping that Ruben and Nigel will accept invitations to play," said New Zealand coach Brian McClennan.

"There's still a chance that Stacey Jones will be involved but Joey (Andrew Johns) is the jewel in the crown."

Messenger, one of Australian rugby league's all-time greats, was a guest player in the first-ever international between New Zealand - then known as the All Golds - and the Northern Union in 1907.

"Having the status of players like that playing in a game to mark our centenary and the birth of international rugby league - and to mark the end of their representative careers - is a pretty good formula for us," said NZRL general manager Peter Cordtz.

Johns is widely regarded as one of the best rugby league players the sport has ever produced, having won the Golden Boot as the international game's outstanding player twice.

He won 21 caps for the Kangaroos - winning the 1995 and 2000 World Cups - in addition to an illustrious State of Origin career with New South Wales.

New Zealand are expected to play three Tests against Great Britain in addition to other warm-up matches.

HighTitan
02-03-07, 12:18 PM
This is great for rugby league imo....:D