Queenslander
26-02-07, 05:57 PM
Charity Shield 2007

ST GEORGE - ILLAWARRA DRAGONS v SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS
Telstra Stadium; Saturday 3 March, 8.00pm

Referee: Shayne Hayne

Team Notes:

Dragons

Mark Gasnier is set to play the full match at five-eighth for St George Illawarra in next weekend's Charity Shield after missing Saturday night's 26-16 loss to the Bulldogs with the flu.
Rabbitohs

Cronulla defeated South Sydney 22-4 in last Saturday night's NRL trial at Gosford

South Sydney will field all seven of its internationals as it seeks a third consecutive victory in the annual Charity Shield rugby league match against St George Illawarra at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night.

Teams:

DRAGONS:

1. Josh Morris
2. Luke MacDougall
3. Wes Naiqama
4. Matt Cooper
5. Chase Stanley
6. Mark Gasnier
7. Ben Hornby
8. Chris Houston
9. Simon Woolford
10. Dan Hunt
11. Ashton Sims
12. Beau Scott
13. Ben Creagh

Interchange:

14. Adam Peek
15. Danny Wicks
16. Corey Payne
18. Lagi Setu
19. Ben Ellis
20. Charlie Leaeno
21. Ricky Thorby
RABBITOHS:

David Peachey
Paul Mellor
Nigel Vagana
Shannon Hegarty
Reece Simmonds
John Sutton
Joe Williams
Peter Cusack
Stuart Webb
Roy Asotasi
David Kidwell
Luke Stuart
David Faalogo
Interchange:

Daniel Irvine
Dean Widders
Scott Geddes
Manase Manuokafoa
Joe Galuvao
Jaiman Lowe
Shane Rigon
Jeremy Smith
Germaine Paulson
Fetuli Talanoa.

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information***

Steelers
26-02-07, 06:30 PM
I will finally get to watch a Charity Shield game this year, thank god for Austar! Should be a good game, although I am disappointed in the jerseys we will be wearing (refer to jerseys thread to see what I mean!)

ST GEORGE DRAGONS
Tsk tsk Queenslander, can anyone else see what is wrong here? :laugh:

Teegy
26-02-07, 06:33 PM
I will finally get to watch a Charity Shield game this year, thank god for Austar! Should be a good game, although I am disappointed in the jerseys we will be wearing (refer to jerseys thread to see what I mean!)

nope nothing wrong from my end :D

and its always a great game as i love seeing the combo f my fav players and our stars of the future.

Queenslander
26-02-07, 06:34 PM

:!: I totally forgot that, it must have been because I was looking at the Dragons Charity Shield Jersey found here (http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6302) and forgot that they actually represent more than St George :D

Teegy
26-02-07, 07:17 PM
Gasnier in pivotal role for Charity

Brad Walter

February 26, 2007

MARK Gasnier is set to play the full match at five-eighth for St George Illawarra in next weekend's Charity Shield after missing Saturday night's 26-16 loss to the Bulldogs with the flu. Gasnier, who was due to play 40 minutes in the WIN Stadium clash, was one of five Dragons players to withdraw on the day - denying coach Nathan Brown the chance of seeing him play in his new position.

A disappointed Brown said the main thing he had hoped to get out of the trial was Gasnier and new halfback Ben Hornby starting to develop their scrumbase combination after the Test pair both switched positions during the off-season.

"Ideally, I would have liked to have seen him play," Brown said. "It would have just been good to have had a look at him, but there's not much you can do about it.

"Matty Cooper and a few blokes missed training early in the week and then Beau Scott was real crook on Friday. Then in the morning [on Saturday] I got a call about Ben Ellis, Tony Caine was crook and at 3.30pm the doc rang and said, 'We've got another one. Gaz is crook'.

"Out of all of them obviously I would have liked Gaz to have played ? but he'll have a good hit-out next week, he'll probably play the whole game next week."

Aside from Gasnier, Brown said there would be up to eight new faces from Saturday night's side, headed by former Souths winger Luke MacDougall. However, Jason Ryles (wrist), Justin Poore (suspended), Dean Young (knee) and Mathew Head (knee) are unavailable.

"Heady's knee is way better than it was at this stage last year," Brown said. "He's probably going to come out of rehab next week and then he'll have a good six weeks training before he comes back and plays. He's going to be fine, by all reports."

Hoppy2007Dragons
27-02-07, 12:12 AM
Good news on heady. I forgot Poore was suspended( question do trial games coutn towards his suspension)

I hope gas plays the full 80 mins, as i will hopefulyl be watching this on fox or austar.

patskE
27-02-07, 12:15 AM
ill be at this game as all my m8s go for the dragons
shall be good cant wait
the one game they talk about all year is this one n the pub crawl we do after aahah

DIEHARD
27-02-07, 12:32 AM
Should be good, I love the Charity Shield. Hope the Bunnies go well.

Queenslander
28-02-07, 01:04 PM
Souths field big guns for Charity Shield

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:07 AM

South Sydney will field all seven of its internationals as it seeks a third consecutive victory in the annual Charity Shield rugby league match against St George Illawarra at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night.

Co-captain David Kidwell and fellow Test players Roy Asotasi, Nigel Vagana, David Faalogo, Joe Galuvao, David Peachey and Shannon Hegarty were all named in new coach Jason Taylor's team on Wednesday as the Rabbitohs look to bounce back from last weekend's trail game defeat by Cronulla.

"I'm looking forward to seeing our Kiwi contingent playing together, and also assessing how our combinations are developing," said Taylor.

Co-captain Peter Cusack said there would be no holding back in the team's final hitout before the NRL competition starts.

"This will be my third Charity Shield and out of any trial match I have played this is the one that is most like a proper premiership match in terms of intensity and the physical side of the game," said Cusack.

"We'll be out there giving it everything we've got, not only to win the game, but to prepare ourselves for the season that's just around the corner."

South Sydney: David Peachey, Paul Mellor, Nigel Vagana, Shannon Hegarty, Reece Simmonds, John Sutton, Joe Williams, Peter Cusack, Stuart Webb, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Luke Stuart, David Faalogo. Interchange: Daniel Irvine, Dean Widders, Scott Geddes, Manase Manuokafoa, Joe Galuvao, Jaiman Lowe, Shane Rigon, Jeremy Smith, Germaine Paulson, Fetuli Talanoa.

Source: AAP

Steve
28-02-07, 01:49 PM
The bunnies have a pretty good team this year, fingers crossed they can do something with it!

Go_The_Doggies
28-02-07, 04:12 PM
arg!

seeing roy's name in a south sydney lineup is just plain wrong! :(:(:(

Teegy
28-02-07, 08:07 PM
dragons team named here http://www.dragons.com.au/news/static/article_2704.asp

DIEHARD
01-03-07, 02:56 PM
I'll be watching this match with great interest, not only because I like the Bunnies, but because I am interested to see how the Dragons form is...

PROMETHEUS
01-03-07, 08:46 PM
So will we have the same as last year,with souths winning then declaring themselves certainties to win the grand final? :noidea:

patskE
01-03-07, 09:48 PM
me n my m8s going to this one
going to be BIG
starting at mortdale pub at around 10ish 11ish, then my m8s are heading in to the game
i am staying to play touch at 3, while i wait for other ppl to get home from work, so i be pissed for that ahah
go in watch gay, goto that gay n leso parade :D :D head bak to mortdale for 1 or 2, then peaky hotel, then a bar on a golf co****, then st George leagues when that close's, then when st George league close's golf co**** bar is open again :D
BIG FKN DAY

Dragons
02-03-07, 09:22 PM
me n my m8s going to this one
going to be BIG
starting at mortdale pub at around 10ish 11ish, then my m8s are heading in to the game
i am staying to play touch at 3, while i wait for other ppl to get home from work, so i be pissed for that ahah
go in watch gay, goto that gay n leso parade :D :D head bak to mortdale for 1 or 2, then peaky hotel, then a bar on a golf co****, then st George leagues when that close's, then when st George league close's golf co**** bar is open again :D
BIG FKN DAY
Can you translate that please.

Broncos thats my team
03-03-07, 08:35 PM
dose anyone no the score

tallis12
03-03-07, 08:47 PM
dose anyone no the score

Last time i checked it was 6-4 to souths

Coaster
03-03-07, 08:52 PM
10 all half time

Future Star
03-03-07, 09:02 PM
10 - 10, but i like the looks of the Rabbitohs.
I think they can get away with this one.

Broncos thats my team
03-03-07, 09:04 PM
how are south new players performing and how is gaz at 5/8 for the dragons

Dragons
03-03-07, 09:10 PM
Is anyone watching on Foxtel?

jenny
03-03-07, 09:13 PM
Yep me ;) :naughty:

Future Star
03-03-07, 09:21 PM

ME!

jenny
03-03-07, 09:30 PM
Wooo hooooooo...
we have given away some free kicks, but i have a good feeling about this game. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Robbie_Dee
03-03-07, 09:44 PM
Saw the first half at the pub, not a bad game. Souths looking pretty good!

Coaster
03-03-07, 10:11 PM
All over dragons 16 to 14

Steelers
03-03-07, 10:12 PM
Well, we got a win in one of the first 6 games of the year, which is definately a positive on the last few seasons! :p I only got to see bits and pieces of the game, but boy there was alot of dropped ball.

Coaster
03-03-07, 10:15 PM
Dragons had Gasnier carted off again, looks minor.

They didnt look to bad considering the forward pack, They looked fit, and played some nice plays, Like Gasnier running decoys.

Souths looked better, but still lacked genuine halves. Sutton and Williams at halves is like buying a Ferrari and letting your wife drive it :!:

Coaster
03-03-07, 10:20 PM
Souths would look better like this i think

1. Peachy
2. Mellor
3. Sutton
4. Vagana
5. Hegarty
6. Widders - Allthough he looked fat tonight
7. Smith
8. Cusack
9. Webb
10 Asotasi
11 Galuvao
12 Kidwell
13 Faalogo

jenny
03-03-07, 10:20 PM
Wooo hooooooo...
we have given away some free kicks, but i have a good feeling about this game. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
:ok: well.. thats my tipping days over.. good on The Dragons :(

Capital_Shark
03-03-07, 10:27 PM
Decent game. Bit sloppy, but thats to be expected this early on. Great to see Beau Scott didn't leave his butter fingers at Cronulla coming up with a drop ball on his first touch.

That game has wet my whistle something chronic.. I dunno if I can wait 13 days for the season proper.

Hoppy2007Dragons
03-03-07, 10:29 PM
well thats a good confidence booster, although it means nothing when the season starts, but to play a quality souths side and come away with the charity shield the first one in a while now. so hopefully the team can gel some more and get the season off to a good start.

Social Loafer
03-03-07, 11:13 PM
Gasnier out for Season?

Capital_Shark
03-03-07, 11:15 PM
Gasnier out for Season?

You heard this or are you asking?

He went off with a bit of discomfort in his right shoulder, didn't look in massive amounts of pain.

Coaster
03-03-07, 11:17 PM
Source Nrl.com

Gasnier set to miss entire NRL season

Saturday, March 3, 2007 - 10:04 PM

St George Illawarra star Mark Gasnier is expected to miss the entire NRL season after suffering a torn pectoral muscle in the Dragons' 16-14 victory over Souths in the Charity Shield tonight.

In a devastating blow to the Dragons' title hopes, Gasnier ran straight up the tunnel in the 63rd minute of the pre-season match at Telstra Stadium clutching at his right shoulder.

He had just moments earlier come off second best in a tackle on Souths centre Nigel Vagana, having started the match in his new position of five-eighth.

The injury was later confirmed as a torn pectoral, with Gasnier expected to miss the entire season.

Regarded as the best centre in the world, Gasnier was to have played five-eighth for the Dragons this season after the departure of long-time pivot Trent Barrett.

After a handful of games last year at No.6, tonight was to have been the beginning of life at five-eighth for Gasnier.

He made a promising start, playing a leading role alongside halves partner Ben Hornby in both of the Dragons' first half tries.

But it all ended in disaster when Gasnier left the field late in the game.
Source: AAP