PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Lyon set for pivot in Origin

HighTitan
26-02-07, 07:48 AM
Lyon set for pivot in Origin: Kenny
By Dan Koch
February 26, 2007

FORMER Australia five-eighth Brett Kenny believes Manly recruit Jamie Lyon is the frontrunner for the New South Wales No.6 jumper this season, citing a lack of quality halves available to Blues selectors.

Lyon drifted between five-eighth and centre In his first appearance since joining the Sea Eagles from St Helens.

However, Lyon seems set to make a permanent move to pivot for his new club when rugged New Zealand three-quarter Steve Matai returns - a move that Kenny believes will be a huge relief to Blues coach Graham Murray.

At this early stage, Lyons' only genuine rivals for the NSW five-eighth spot appear to be fellow makeshift pivots Mark Gasnier and Brett Finch.

"Just looking around, I am thinking I might get my knee fixed up and throw the boots on because I could be a show for them," Kenny joked.

"It's an interesting situation - a pretty worrying one if your are a New South Welshman.

"You'd have to think Jamie is a huge chance to play there, if he can perform even solidly in early rounds.

"He's played for Australia, he is obviously a very good player, and you know he can handle the pressure of rep football.

"He played some five-eighth in England, but (he) is a bit of an unknown here.

"But there just isn't anyone else who really jumps out at you as a great option."

Lyon's superior passing and kicking skills have him above Gasnier in the pivot standings at present, with Gasnier still the Blues' first choice in the centres.

The former Parramatta star's cause is boosted by the presence of gun halfback Matt Orford inside him at the Sea Eagles.

With Andrew Johns unavailable and Brett Kimmorley on the outer, Orford appears to be in a race in three with Penrith co-captain Craig Gower, and St George Illawarra's Ben Hornby for the No.7 jumper.

NSW's stocks are in stark contrast to those of Queensland, which looks to have an embarrassment of riches throughout the backline.

Halves Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston are the incumbent Australia pairing. Beyond them, Tim Smith, Scott Prince and Cooper Cronk have proven themselves more than capable, while the game's best young player, Greg Inglis, is set to move to five-eighth this season.

In their first hit-out against an under-strength Melbourne outfit, Lyon and Orford teamed well together.

Playing in the second of three periods, Orford laid on two tries with trademark bursts through a retreating defence, with Lyon joining in, gifting second rower Anthony Watmough a try with a short ball close to the line.

A bomb from Lyon in the final period led to another Manly try.

"Matty is a great player with a lot of experience and it is always a pleasure to play outside someone like that because it makes life a lot easier for you," Lyon said.

"It was only the first hit-out for the year and it wasn't like our game was worth writing home about. But there were a lot of good signs and I felt very comfortable."

Orford said that Lyon had fitted well into the side, and he already commanded the squad's respect.

Orford said his combination with Lyon could not only carry Manly to success this year but also help him fulfil his Origin dream.

"Jamie is such a classy player ... he can slot in anywhere and every time he touches it, he just seems to have all day to do whatever he wants," Orford said.

The Australian
Source: www.foxsports.com.au

Queenslander
26-02-07, 09:18 AM
Thread moved to the State of Origin Forum

DeeGan
26-02-07, 01:17 PM
Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston will still be too much for the NSW Blues Jamie Lyon or not.

If Orford and Lyon are hot early in the season, they will be the NSW halves.

Mark Gasnier is the only other option IMO for the five-eight spot - the jury is still out on his move though.

Future Star
26-02-07, 06:38 PM
What about Carney, Mullen, and Gidley?

All three have been playing brilliant footy, and i think they are ready to step up to higher Rep honours.

Steelers
26-02-07, 06:40 PM

All three have been playing brilliant footy, and i think they are ready to step up to higher Rep honours.

Doesn't matter if they are playing good, selectors usually go for the 'big' names, which I personally don't agree with. I can see the 5/8 role being a battle between Gaz and Lyon.

DeeGan
26-02-07, 06:44 PM

Brilliant footy?

Ready to step up to Origin?

I think you are putting the horse before the cart well and truly.

Capital_Shark
26-02-07, 06:45 PM

Mullen has only played 2 games without Joey next to him, and not even a full season yet I don't think. Gidley is a fullback playing 5/8 and doing a poor job of it most the time. Carney is also pretty inexperienced and will have to prove his worth some more before an Origin berth. With saying that, Mullen and Carney are future certainties for high representative honors. Gidley I doubt will go much further than City/Country origin, but who knows with a new coach.

As for Lyon at 5/8, I'm agree with DeeGan that nothing NSW puts in the halves will come close to the Lockyer/Thurston combination QLD can put forward. I haven't seen Lyon play 5/8 but if Orford and Lyon combine well at Manly it'll be NSW's best chance.

Pale Ale Panther
26-02-07, 08:03 PM
NSW

6. Sutton
7. Gower

Sutton will have a super season now he has som quality around him, i'm a Qld'r but i think Locky and Thurston would find Sutton a tough guy to deal with, Gaz is a center and will be a flop in the 6, Lyon is also a center, K. Gidley is an outside chance, and don't forget Braith, the selectors seem to love him ????? :D

Titanium_BD1103
26-02-07, 08:27 PM
I think there are a lot of options for the NSW number 6 jersey..... ;)

The obvious one will be Lyon or Gasnier.

If they falter though, expect the likes of Sutton and Holdsworth to make a run and if they do... then this could be a very wide open race.

I think City vs Country will tell us a fair bit on who will be number 6 for NSW this season... and that will all depend on form throughout the season... ;)

HighTitan
27-02-07, 07:57 AM
Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston will still be too much for the NSW Blues Jamie Lyon or not.

If Orford and Lyon are hot early in the season, they will be the NSW halves.

Mark Gasnier is the only other option IMO for the five-eight spot - the jury is still out on his move though.
Daniel Holdsworth. A skilled player who is ready and suited perfectly to Origin. Way overpowers Gasnier in the Number 6 jersey ;)

Steelers
27-02-07, 03:38 PM
Daniel Holdsworth. A skilled player who is ready and suited perfectly to Origin. Way overpowers Gasnier in the Number 6 jersey ;)
How can you know for sure that Gaz is so useless in the number 6? All he has had is a couple of experiment games in the position. Now he has had a full off-season training as a 5/8, so I don't think you can really judge how he is as a 5/8 until he plays a season in the position. Personally, I have my doubts about this move, but I still hope that it pays off.

Gonzalez
27-02-07, 08:07 PM
IMO.

3. Gasnier
4. Lyon

6. Carney
7. Gower

Future Star
27-02-07, 08:18 PM
IMO.

3. Gasnier
4. Lyon

6. Carney
7. Gower

Ding, Ding, Ding - We Have A winner

:win:

Steelers
27-02-07, 09:38 PM
Gaz and Jamie won't be picked in the centres IMO. They will either be in the halves, or not in the side at all.

Gonzalez
28-02-07, 12:21 AM
Gaz and Jamie won't be picked in the centres IMO. They will either be in the halves, or not in the side at all.
If either are picked in the halves we will loose. They are NOT halves. Moving Gasnier to five-eigth is a terrible decision IMO, he is the greatest centre out there at the moment. Lyon only played a handful of games at five-eigth in England. It is blown way out of proportion.

Carney and Gower, if selected together would be a great combination IMO. They suit each others games.