PDA

View Full Version : Titans: The monkey is off our back

DeeGan
25-02-07, 03:36 PM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5399263,00.jpg

Hardcore Titans fans will forever remember February 24th, 2007, it was the date in which the Gold Coast Titans won their first ever game wearing the NRL logo. Whilst two premiership points were not on offer, the come from behind 22-10 win over the Parramatta Eels is now etched in to the history books.

Heading in to this pre-season, I wanted two things to happen and I said I would be satisfied if I got one from two:

1. No injuries and
2. A win under our belt

As stands we have ticked off box number two and ?so far, so good? with box number one despite some minor niggling injuries.

Winning in the pre-seasons means a sweet load of nothing in any NRL pre-season for any other club. This is lost on many fans that don?t quite understand the principles behind playing in the pre-season.

I placed an importance on winning at least one game this pre-season as it would bring much needed confidence to the players who are playing together in most cases for the first time.

The win would validate the game plan the coaching staff has been preaching, the win would ?get the monkey off our back?.

A win in 2007 for our club is going to be a hard thing to come by, if we started with a couple of losses once the season started, predictable questions would start to be asked of the team by the media if we had lost all three pre-season trials.

Saviour the win, enjoy reading about our success and accept the back slaps and ?well done guys? from the NRL community, once premiership points are on offer, fans won?t be so obliging.

HighTitan
25-02-07, 03:48 PM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5399263,00.jpg

Hardcore Titans fans will forever remember February 24th, 2007, it was the date in which the Gold Coast Titans won their first ever game wearing the NRL logo. Whilst two premiership points were not on offer, the come from behind 22-10 win over the Parramatta Eels is now etched in to the history books.

Heading in to this pre-season, I wanted two things to happen and I said I would be satisfied if I got one from two:

1. No injuries and
2. A win under our belt

As stands we have ticked off box number two and ?so far, so good? with box number one despite some minor niggling injuries.

Winning in the pre-seasons means a sweet load of nothing in any NRL pre-season for any other club. This is lost on many fans that don?t quite understand the principles behind playing in the pre-season.

I placed an importance on winning at least one game this pre-season as it would bring much needed confidence to the players who are playing together in most cases for the first time.

The win would validate the game plan the coaching staff has been preaching, the win would ?get the monkey off our back?.

A win in 2007 for our club is going to be a hard thing to come by, if we started with a couple of losses once the season started, predictable questions would start to be asked of the team by the media if we had lost all three pre-season trials.

Saviour the win, enjoy reading about our success and accept the back slaps and ?well done guys? from the NRL community, once premiership points are on offer, fans won?t be so obliging.
Thats an inspiring read. Nice piece of work there, Did you write it or sourced from somewhere?

True about the bolded 'Winning in the pre season means nothing', But in some cases eg. A fans case, It means something. It means passion and pride in your club but from the footballing perspective it is no more than a trial, a test and an experiment with new formulas, patterns and game styles.

DeeGan
25-02-07, 03:54 PM
Thanks mate, I wrote that just now.

I understand from a why from a fans perspective a win does mean something - I mean - any game we play I expect us and want us to win.

When all is said and done from a team point of view, a trial result isn't all important (outside of this pre-season as debutant team). I know for a fact everyone involved with our team was most pleased with the Coffs Harbour trial - it answered some questions about depth, a rough diamond or two was found and we came through unscathed.

It was a success on and off the field despite what the scoreboard displayed.

Poida
25-02-07, 04:01 PM
To me in trials losses arent as important but when you win it does mean soemthing. A win is always a win and its something worth cherishing regardless of its outcome in NRL or if its trials.

HighTitan
25-02-07, 04:19 PM
Thanks mate, I wrote that just now.

I understand from a why from a fans perspective a win does mean something - I mean - any game we play I expect us and want us to win.

When all is said and done from a team point of view, a trial result isn't all important (outside of this pre-season as debutant team). I know for a fact everyone involved with our team was most pleased with the Coffs Harbour trial - it answered some questions about depth, a rough diamond or two was found and we came through unscathed.

It was a success on and off the field despite what the scoreboard displayed.
Amen.

But still, To me, Trials are used to find out how a team is going in terms of getting ready for the Premiership season. Titans won and played a good game which shows they are ready and can handle the week in week out, high climax of the NRL. However, if we had of lost but still played a good game. We would still reconise that we are ready for the NRL after showing up a good performance.

That probally doesnt make sense ^ :sick:

Des
25-02-07, 04:25 PM
To me in trials losses arent as important but when you win it does mean soemthing. A win is always a win and its something worth cherishing regardless of its outcome in NRL or if its trials.
I agree Poida. A win is a win. This will give the boys a huge confidence boost. Onya Boys. Can't wait to get to Carrara next week to see them live in action. Go the Titans. :clap: :clap: :clap:

DeeGan
25-02-07, 04:31 PM
Can it be said - I am not being critical of ANY win.

Again:

"I placed an importance on winning at least one game this pre-season as it would bring much needed confidence to the players who are playing together in most cases for the first time.

The win would validate the game plan the coaching staff has been preaching, the win would ?get the monkey off our back?. "

My point being a win in the pre-season is by no means the measuring stick in the pre-season trials for a "normal" NRL club.

Dragons
25-02-07, 05:34 PM
A win is a win and I know when I played we always went out to win even if it was a trial. You only have to look at the Redcliffe players that played for the Broncs against Canberra what a high they would be on.

bigjim
26-02-07, 10:24 AM
A winning culture is realized when evey game is important and opposition is never taken lightly.

Each win contributes to this attitude of achievement.

I've read on other forums were some games are not important and prove little in the scheme of things. This is usually said by a losing team.

If a player ever thinks that some games are more important than others, and plays accordingly, then he compromises his team and his own ability.

I read on the Bronco forum that losing the WCC to St Helens meant nothing.
Ask the junior Bronco team that beat Canberra on the weekend how important a meaningless game really means.

GO THE TITANS! :clap: :clap:

DeeGan
26-02-07, 12:48 PM
I think the point I was making in the original post has been lost ...

titans_fanatic
26-02-07, 01:39 PM
The first trial game i didn't mind about winning or losing i just wanted to boys to mould as a team. I had similar feelings about the second trial game. However winning is always greater then looosing and the fact that we have got the first win on the board is inspiring. Something to feel good about.But really when it all comes down to it all i want is a win in 20 days and a good season where the boys make us proud to be fans of them.