PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Sharks circling if Thompson drops

Steelers
04-11-05, 05:22 PM
The Sharks will consider offering Lance Thompson an NRL lifeline if the disgruntled St George Illawarra forward is offloaded by the Dragons.

Thompson is contracted to the Dragons for next season, but his future remains clouded because of salary cap pressures on the club.

Cronulla general manager Steve Rogers said Thompson would be a welcome addition to the Sharks pack, particularly after the loss of experienced frontrower Jason Stevens.

"He's a quality player and you can never have enough quality players," Rogers said.

"Of course (we are interested). There is a lot of interaction between St George and Cronulla players.

"It's something we would consider, but like every club it will come down to salary cap considerations.

"In saying that, that's not the only issue, obviously."

A veteran of 200 first grade games, Thompson has been offside with Dragons officials since walking out on the club's awards night last month over claims he would be squeezed out of the club for next year.

The 27-year-old, who has not yet spoken to Dragons CEO Peter Doust or coach Nathan Brown since the issue flared, will meet Dragons officials some time in the next two weeks to learn his fate.

It is unlikely the Sharks could to afford to buy out all of Thompson's contract, believed to be worth close to $200,000, but would consider paying out a percentage of his remaining year with the Dragons.

Rogers said he would watch the developments at the Dragons with interest, as the Sharks may have some room to move under the salary cap for next year.

"It's not something I could openly commit to at this time, as we obviously have some limitations on what can be said," Rogers said.

"Obviously that's the case. That needs to run its course over there before we can do anything with the anti-tampering laws. We'll wait and see what transpires.

"There are a lot of other circumstances that need to be taken into consideration.

"At this time of the year most clubs have spent the majority of their dollars and we are no different."

Rogers also denied rumours that backrower Paul Gallen was unhappy at the Sharks and may be swapped for Thompson.

"There's nothing in that. I have spoken to his manager and I know the player is happy," Rogers said.

"Paul is contracted for two years and we have just recently discussed the possibility of extending that."

Source: www.nrl.com

Sharks
04-11-05, 06:32 PM
Well all the forum rumours are true for once.

I would love him at the Sharks he is solid and still has a season or 2 left in him.

titans_fanatic
04-11-05, 07:38 PM
silly move imo

Dakink
05-11-05, 09:52 AM
Anyone but the Swamp please Thommo!!

The Original Idiot
05-11-05, 03:19 PM
I see there is a trade rumour. Interesting, especially as just about every other sport has trading. Has trading ever occured in RL?

Eel 33
08-11-05, 08:47 PM
If he does go to the Sharks, he'll be in for some special treatment from the dragons when the 2 sides meet. Probably give him what a few have had to refrain from giving him at training.