PDA

View Full Version : Super 14 Rugby

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 11:13 AM
A last minute try to the Wellington Hurricanes against Brumbies last night in Windy, wet and cold conditions (normal conditions) in Wellington winning 11-10. Well Done to Tana Umaga's Team for a nerve racking finish. I believe the the Referee was one eye for the Brumbies but the final result is that Wellington came through as winners. Go the Hurricanes

~lee~
24-02-07, 11:34 AM
Top of the league now. I wanted the brumbies to win for my dream team.

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 12:11 PM
The Brumbies game last week against the Qld Red's was a pretty low score 6-3. You would see this type of score at a State of Origin not Rugby Union. Good Luck to your Team for the rest of the competition.

Go_The_Doggies
24-02-07, 01:12 PM
Hey! umm i already made a Super14 thread :)

But YAY for us beating ACT :D w00t i hate them, and george smith, and george gregan!

w00t for us being top of the table too :D i hope the force lose, cos if they win they kick us off the top :(

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 01:56 PM
Hurricanes Score Late Try for 11-10 Rugby Victory Over Brumbies

By Dan Baynes

Feb. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Thomas Waldrum scored in the last minute to give the Wellington Hurricanes an 11-10 victory over the ACT Brumbies that put them top of rugby's Super 14 standings.

The Hurricanes, last year's beaten finalists, trailed from the 17th minute when Brumbies lock Adam Wallace-Harrison finished off a seven-pass counterattack to get the only other try at Wellington's Westpac Stadium.

Julian Huxley converted a penalty via the upright to make it 10-6 to the Australian team with 12 minutes left. That prompted some desperate attacks by the home side culminating in No. 8 Waldrum throwing a dummy and touching down in the right corner for the winning score after the siren sounded.

``It was a bit nerve-racking at the end,'' Hurricanes captain Tana Umaga told New Zealand Sky Sports. ``Our boys pulled through and showed the character they've developed over the last couple of years.''

The win lifted the Hurricanes to 13 points from four matches in southern hemisphere rugby's top provincial tournament. South Africa's Sharks, who had led the standings after winning their first three games, don't play this weekend.

The Brumbies, who had a try disallowed in the first half for a forward pass, also lost in the last minute to the Auckland Blues two weeks ago.

``It's a bit heartbreaking but the boys will come back from it,'' Brumbies captain George Smith said. ``We've got to find a way to put teams away.''

Both sides came into the match after two wins and a loss. Wellington was without six first-choice players -- including back-rowers Jerry Collins, Rodney So'oialo and Chris Masoe -- for the first half of the Super 14. They are among 22 All Blacks taking part in a training program aimed at improving New Zealand's chances of winning this year's World Cup.

New Zealand teams won nine of the 11 previous Super 14 championships, with the Brumbies taking the title twice.

Five games are scheduled tomorrow, when defending champions Canterbury Crusaders will seek their second win of the season against South Africa's Cheetahs in Bloemfontein. In the only match taking place in Australia this weekend, the Western Force hosts the Johannesburg-based Lions in Perth.

To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at dbaynes@bloomberg.net

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 02:02 PM
My Family in Wellington went to the Game last night and it was a exciting performance from the Hurricanes. They didnt get give up and become triumphs in the end. I did watch the game on foxtel last night and I too wasnt impressed with the Referee. Who cares now Hurricane won! Come on the rest of the NZ Teams.