PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Rogers denies he's injury prone

Queenslander
22-02-07, 04:47 PM
Rogers denies he's injury prone

By Daniel Pace
February 22, 2007

GOLD Coast centre Mat Rogers has hit out at critics who claim he's injury-prone and won't last the season, expressing confidence that his 85kg frame will handle the rigours of the NRL competition.

Dual international Rogers, 31, plays his "comeback" game on Saturday night, a trial against Parramatta at Lismore, after a five-year stint in rugby union.

Rogers was hampered by ankle, rib, knee, face and groin injuries after switching from league to union at the end of 2001, and he missed a string of matches for New South Wales and Australia, before quitting the rugby for the Titans.

He claimed today that he was less likely to get injured playing rugby league because his body would be conditioned for the week-in, week-out grind of the NRL.

"In rugby league, the collisions are bigger, the game is faster and your body goes through a bit more, but you train for that," Rogers said at the Titans' training camp in Coffs Harbour today.

"You train a lot harder every day so that your body is prepared for that, whereas in union the whole season is broken up and really disjointed.

"You play 12 games and have a few weeks off. Then you play a few Test matches and have a few weeks off, so your body is never hardened for a week-in, week-out competition.

"I think my body will handle this a lot better than people think."

The doomsayers were fed more ammunition on January 16 when Rogers sustained an ankle injury during his first training run with the Titans.

Rogers says he's fully recovered after joining trainer Billy Johnstone's rehabilitation group.

"I'm just champing at the bit to get out there and play," Rogers said.

"I'm fitter than I've been in the last five years so see how we go."

AAP

bigjim
23-02-07, 02:44 PM
Mat, actions speak louder than words. Make them eat their words by having a booming injury free season.

There are people who will always try to bring you down and look for all the negatives, that's their nature. They are what we call in the psychological fraternity as losers.

Those who can't play, teach.
Those who can't teach, critique

Just a thought :happy:

PROMETHEUS
23-02-07, 08:14 PM
Agree,after all the crap rogers has endured in his life in the past few years i hope he can shove it down the throats of his detractors and reach the heights again! :D

SuperCliffy#01
24-02-07, 11:02 AM
Hey if i played thugby i'd be getting those injuries too just to wish Rodgers all the best for the year and to be injury free.cya. :D