View Full Version : Trial: Gold Coast Titans vs Parramatta Eels

Queenslander
19-02-07, 07:45 PM
GOLD COAST TITANS vs PARRAMATTA EELS
Oakes Oval, Lismore; Saturday 24th Feburary 2007, 7:30pm

Referee: TBA

Team Notes:

Titans

The Titans are expected to name a full strength side after losing to the Melbourne Storm 32-6

Michael Hodgson, Nathan Friend, Daniel Conn and Richie Mathers were all unavailable for selection due to injury and illness with Richie Mathers falling ill with a chest infection and returning to the Gold Coast a day after making his debut for the Jetstar Titans in Coffs Harbour.
Eels

New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad to take on Gold Coast in an NRL trial in the northern NSW town of Lismore on Saturday night.

An under-strength Paramatta defeated Cronulla 36-14 in Parkes on the weekend while the Titans, dominated by rookies and NRL journeymen, lost 32-6 to last year's grand finalist Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch will play five-eighth for the Eels, partnering Tim Smith in the halves.

Australian and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu have been rested for the trial.

Squads:

TITANS:

(1) Preston Campbell
(2) Lelea Paea
(3) Mat Rogers
(4) Brett Delaney
(5) Jake Webster
(6) Matt Hilder
(7) Scott Prince
(8) Luke Bailey
(9) Clint Amos
(10) Brad Meyers
(11) Anthony Laffranchi
(12) Gavin Cooper
(13) Luke Swain
Interchange:

(14) Michael Henderson
(15) Kris Kahler
(16) Mark Minichiello
(17) Luke Odwyer
(18) Isaac Kauffman
(19) Nathaniel Barnes
(20) Josh Graham
(21) Matt Petersen
(22) David Myles
(23) Jordan Atkins
(25) Chris Walker
(28) Smith Samau
EELS:

Luke Burt
Jarryd Hayne
Ben Smith
Joel Reddy
Eric Grothe
Brett Finch
Tim Smith
Nathan Cayless (capt)
Mark Riddell
Fuifui Moimoi
Ian Hindmarsh
Chad Robinson
Daniel Wagon
Interchange:

PJ Marsh
Josh Cordoba
Todd Lowrie
Justin Tsoulos
Richard Fa'aoso
Feleti Mateo
Aaron Cannings.

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and general match information/reports***

Poida
19-02-07, 07:48 PM
Hope for my mates sake the Eels win :D:D:D:D

Lowdown
20-02-07, 01:48 PM
Paramatta team to play the Titans is below. Strong team. I wonder what the Titans will look like. It promises to be an intriguing contest...

New team v New Coach / New Finch

Full-strength Eels team to play Titans
Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:39 AM

New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad to take on Gold Coast in an NRL trial in the northern NSW town of Lismore on Saturday night.

An under-strength Paramatta defeated Cronulla 36-14 in Parkes on the weekend while the Titans, dominated by rookies and NRL journeymen, lost 32-6 to last year's grand finalist Melbourne in Coffs Harbour.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch will play five-eighth for the Eels, partnering Tim Smith in the halves.

Australian and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu have been rested for the trial.

Titans coach John Cartwright is expected to name former Wallabies star Mat Rogers in the centres alongside New Zealand international Jake Webster, with Preston Campbell at fullback.

Parramatta Eels 20-man squad:
Luke Burt, Jarryd Hayne, Ben Smith, Joel Reddy, Eric Grothe, Brett Finch, Tim Smith, Nathan Cayless (capt), Mark Riddell, Fuifui Moimoi, Ian Hindmarsh, Chad Robinson, Daniel Wagon. Interchange: PJ Marsh, Josh Cordoba, Todd Lowrie, Justin Tsoulos, Richard Fa'aoso, Feleti Mateo, Aaron Cannings.

Source: AAP

Queenslander
20-02-07, 08:16 PM
Rogers ready for NRL comeback

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 5:23 PM

Gold Coast utility Mat Rogers is fit and eager to play against a full-strength Parramatta outfit in an NRL trial in Lismore on Saturday night.

The former Wallaby only started training with the Titans squad last month following his decision to quit rugby union and settle on the Gold Coast.

Rogers, 31, injured his ankle during his first training session with his new club but has fully recovered and can't wait to play against the Eels this weekend.

"He's doing everything that the rest of the squad are doing," coach John Cartwright said from the team camp in Coffs Harbour.

"We had a really tough session yesterday and he wasn't behind the other fellas at all.

"He's a good, positive member of the squad now. You can really see him coming to hand over the past week."

Cartwright said dual international Rogers, who hasn't played in the NRL since the end of 2001, will undergo a final fitness test on his ankle on Wednesday but should be given the all-clear.

Rogers will start in the centre alongside Kiwi international Jake Webster, who will return from off-season shoulder surgery.

Rookie coach Cartwright revealed Preston Campbell would start the trial at fullback before sharing the hooker duties with Clint Amos.

With former Melbourne rake Nathan Friend sidelined with a shoulder injury, Cartwright wants to experiment with the dummy-half role.

The diminutive Campbell played five-eighth during his time at Penrith but stood on the wing in defence as opposition players looked to target the 2001 Dally M player of the year.

New Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a full-strength squad with the exception of Australian and NSW Origin pair Timana Tahu and Nathan Hindmarsh, who has extended his contract with the Eels until the end of 2010.

The acid test for the Titans arrives this week when they march out their stars including Rogers, co-captains Luke Bailey and Scott Prince and back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello.

Their development squad went down 32-6 to Melbourne last weekend in Coffs Harbour but held the 2006 grand finalist to just 12 points until the final quarter.

"It's going to answer a few more questions about us," Cartwright said about the clash with Parramatta.

"The young players were really gutsy last week but realistically this is the squad that will get us through the bulk of the year.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing how they go."

Cartwright will name his squad on Wednesday, with Friend, James Stosic (Achilles tendon), Matt Petersen (ankle), Richie Mathers (virus) and Michael Hodgson (hamstring) the only established first-graders unavailable.

Source: AAP

Steve Dangerous
20-02-07, 09:16 PM
Can't wait for this one!

Our first true indication of how our team stacks up.

dee13
20-02-07, 09:20 PM
Its an 8 point win to the Titans. I have no doubt in my mind.

Titans fans need to be at this one.
IT WILL BE OUR FIRST WIN!!!

DeeGan
20-02-07, 09:29 PM
I unfortunately will miss this game - it was either Lismore or Carrara missing out - I decided being at Carrara was more important.

Enjoy the game, LIVE updates will be organised for those not able to attend.

~lee~
20-02-07, 11:04 PM
It looks like its going to be a great game, come on parra!

squirrell
20-02-07, 11:13 PM
Im having heart palpitations and counting down the hrs till i drive down to lismore from robina on saturday.It cant come quick enough for me im about to burst.titans by 6 :D

Queenslander
21-02-07, 08:00 AM
Ritchie Mathers was sent home from training yesterday due to a virus. It is unclear whether or not he will play in this weeks trial.

Source: The Courier Mail

DeeGan
21-02-07, 09:58 AM
I have heard Preston will be spending a lot of time at fullback for this game *gulp*

I wish the little magician all the best with whatever Carty throws at him in the trials.

DeeGan
21-02-07, 12:49 PM
Titans media release

Stars on show

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright has named his strongest possible side for this weekends NRL trial against Parramatta at Oakes Oval, Lismore.

After fielding a squad of exciting junior and fringe players against Melbourne during their first trial at Coffs Harbours BCU international stadium last Saturday night, Cartwright has named all bar one of his top squad for Saturdays clash with the Eels.

Cartwright said ?On paper it is a very good team and the work we have done in camp at Coffs during the last week has certainly brought us even closer together and I think watching the young guys go around last week was a real eye opener for the top squad and they now know that we have a lot of talented youngsters at the club who will push them for a place in the team every week.?

Michael Hodgson, Nathan Friend, Daniel Conn and Richie Mathers were all unavailable for selection due to injury and illness with Richie Mathers falling ill with a chest infection and returning to the Gold Coast a day after making his debut for the Jetstar Titans in Coffs Harbour.

? Unfortunately Richie who played very well in parts against the Storm last week has been forced out with a viral infection and has returned to the Gold Coast to ensure he receives maximum rest. If he has recovered sufficiently Richie will certainly return to Lismore on Saturday to be with the squad, however he won?t take any part in the Lismore clash.? Said Cartwright.

For Jetstar Gold Coast Titans co-captains Luke Bailey and Scott Prince, Saturday night can?t come quick enough with both players leading by example during this weeks training camp at Pacific Bay Resort Coffs Harbour.

Scott Said, ?I?m really happy with the squad that we have for Saturday night and the boys have really responded with some good hard sessions during the week, Luke has the Big men firing and they have really been getting stuck into each other during the oppose sessions and I think the crowd at Lismore will see something pretty special when the boys are unleashed on Saturday night.?

Prince has also been impressed with the performance of what shapes up as a very dangerous backline at training.

?Picking the backline would have been a really tough job for Carty (Cartwright) and the other coaching staff because competition for starting spots has been really fierce during the week, but the boys chosen to run out have been given the first chance to state a claim for a round one starting spot against the Dragons and all of us know how important it is to play well on Saturday night.? Said Prince.

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans squad to play Saturday nights NRL trial against Parramatta at Oakes Oval Lismore is as follows.

(1) Preston Campbell (10) Brad Meyers (19) Nathaniel Barnes

(2) Lelea Paea (11) Anthony Laffranchi (20) Josh Graham

(3) Mat Rogers (12) Gavin Cooper (21) Matt Petersen

(4) Brett Delaney (13) Luke Swain (22) David Myles

(5) Jake Webster (14) Michael Henderson (23) Jordan Atkins

(6) Matt Hilder (15) Kris Kahler (25) Chris Walker

(7) Scott Prince (16) Mark Minichiello (28) Smith Samau

(8) Luke Bailey (17) Luke Odwyer

(9) Clint Amos (18) Isaac Kauffman

lonegull
21-02-07, 01:17 PM
what a great backline, gee odywer is the forgotten man he played great footy last year, but there is going to be some real pressure on backline spots

DIEHARD
21-02-07, 02:41 PM
I'm sad to not see DeeGan at Lismore, it was great catching up last week and I'd loved to have spent hours hanging out with him, but there is plenty of time to do that later in the year.

I can really understand his reasons, driving to Coffs was an effort and going to Lismore is even further for him and flying would cost a small fortune. For me Lismore is far far closer to travel to and I'm planning to drive to the game and leave back to Brisbane afterwards and not staying over night, which will save me a bundle. If I was in DeeGan's postion, I'd be thinking of doing the same. These handful of trials really mount up costwise before Round 1 even kicks off.

He'll be back for the trial on the Coast.

For those going down, we should all try and at least say g'day to each other. Just look for the big flag, which I will wave, especially after each Titans try is scored. Try and get there when gates open, so we can claim some land and set up camp and get to know each other.

I will send DeeGan thorough SMS score updates for everyone to enjoy!

TITAN FOREVER
21-02-07, 05:28 PM
Great stuff Diehard. Keep the scores coming our way. I am all excited about this game. Interesting lineup for Titans looks good. :radio:

DeeGan
21-02-07, 07:24 PM
I will be looking after LIVE scores this game trying to be on top of it ala' Queenslander last week ;)

Coaster
21-02-07, 07:58 PM
Ill be having dinner at the Titanium bar on Sat night, so i hope i get updates from the staff.

So far the staff have been excellent also, Ladys name was Kim i believe, was extremly helpfull over the phone today, and if any management is listening, its a treat to talk to someone so bubbly and willing to help.

I wanted to know if my daughter could come for dinner(10yr) she took my number, found out what time she could stay till, and called me back in about 5 minutes with the information.

Top stuff

PROMETHEUS
21-02-07, 08:52 PM
I have heard Preston will be spending a lot of time at fullback for this game *gulp*

I wish the little magician all the best with whatever Carty throws at him in the trials.
Mate,i wouldnt be too worried about presto,he will probably have a roving commission to create havoc in the opposition defensive line. :D
Its what helped penrith win...then lang tied him to the wing which made him an easy target in defence. :!:

squirrell
21-02-07, 11:04 PM
Hey Diehard ill be travelling down to lismore with my daughter, my tickets say gold section!!didnt know there was one at oakes oval!hehe anyway ill say gday mate when i see the big flag :D

Social Loafer
21-02-07, 11:31 PM
Kahler for Goal Kicking.

dan the man
23-02-07, 04:28 PM
i am looking forward to line up with these 2...two big centres whom could easily play back row... i think brett should get the better of him..........

patskE
23-02-07, 06:46 PM
i rkn still put rogers at 5/8, we have alot of good centers

DIEHARD
24-02-07, 02:51 AM
I'm going to bed, got to head off at noon to get there for the curtain raisers.

Good luck Titans and for those not making it, enjoy the SMS updates.

Which reminds me to charge my phone, something I didn't do too well last weekend!

DeeGan
24-02-07, 10:04 AM
May the force be with the team tonight! :D

Enjoy the game for those lucky enough to make it - you're in for a treat watching the majority of our number one players in action.

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 07:02 PM
The main players are back in force for tonights clash with the Eels. Good Luck Titans.

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 07:27 PM
DIEHARD has just got to the game, and the teams are out warming up.

Apparently hard to find a good possie.

I'll post game and score updates as he sends them to me!

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 07:39 PM
In the curtain raiser, Ipswich Jets have beaten the Tweed Heads Seagulls 30 to 28.

Good to see our feeder clubs having a good close hitout!

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 07:48 PM
Game has started out well, Titans have been looking good.

but, news just in..

TRY to parramatta, by the number 3.

coversion attempt missed.

SCORE

Titans 0 - Eels 4

patskE
wats that other site that u can goto for update
they had it for last game
ended in .tk
any help?

want some updates from other games

Poida
Does anyone know a site to find scores of Cows trial?

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 07:49 PM
Did Diehard mentioned what the atmosphere is like at Lismore? I bet it is awesome at the moment. Im sure the Titans are waiting nervously. Go get them Titans.

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 07:52 PM
He says the atmosphere is really good, with lots of titans gear about and very vocal support!

patskE
24-02-07, 07:55 PM
were can i find updates for dragons game
any ideas?
cant find it on the site deegen posted

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure, sorry.

Try their own website or forum, or perhaps league unlimited.

Let's keep this thread for discussion and comments on the Titans game in progress, thanks guys.

patskE
24-02-07, 07:56 PM
cheers thats the one

patskE
24-02-07, 07:58 PM
wats the link to the fourms?
that link dont load

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 07:58 PM
Drinks break.

Still Titans 0 - Eels 4

The jerseys apparently look "beautiful" in action, and Presto and Rogers are looking magical out there!

The eels tryscorer was Jarryd Hayne.

Hopefully we can hit back soon.

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 08:01 PM
Come on Titans get back now and score.

Robbie_Dee
24-02-07, 08:20 PM
4-4 now

titans_2007_fan
24-02-07, 08:23 PM
who scored the titans try?

Dragons
24-02-07, 08:24 PM
4-4 now
go the Titans let kick some Eels butt.

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 08:28 PM
Good Comeback From The Titans. Keep Up The Good Work.

PROMETHEUS
24-02-07, 08:31 PM
Go Titans..turn the eels into slugs! :box:

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 08:32 PM
Jake Webster scores for the titans!

Conversion attempt missed.

HALF TIME SCORE

Titans 4 - Eels 4

Crowd is 8612, and diehard reckons you wouldn't fit any more in.

Mexican wave is going around.. second half updates to follow.

Robbie_Dee
24-02-07, 08:34 PM
Very nice! Hope we can keep it together for the 2nd half, and come away with a tight win!

Ryan
24-02-07, 08:35 PM
I read these half time scores on another forum:

Titans 4 - Eels 4

Dogs 12 - Dragons 16

Souths 4 - Sharks 0

Raiders 4 - Aspliffe Broncphins 0 only 15mins in.....

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 08:37 PM
Go get them Titans. Great outcome for the crowd. I bet majority are Titan's supporters.

PROMETHEUS
24-02-07, 08:38 PM
How are the combinations going,is everyone gelling?

Eel 33
24-02-07, 08:40 PM
Cmon Parra!!! Sounds like a good defensive game!!!

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 08:46 PM
Parramatta TRY by the number 4.

Converts.

Titans 4 - Eels 10

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 08:53 PM
How did score this try!

Ryan
24-02-07, 08:58 PM
Other games current scores:

Dogs 18 - Dragons 16 (Matt Utai carried off injured)

Storm 6 - Manly 0

Souths 4 - Sharks 12

Smithy
24-02-07, 08:59 PM
How did score this try!
Joel Reddy

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 09:05 PM
TITANS TRY!

Gavin Cooper scores, Walker converts

TITANS 10 - EELS 10

and another message...

PRINCE SCORES

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 09:06 PM
Hope they come back with a last minute Try and conversion. Has there been any injuries in the Titans Team!

PROMETHEUS
24-02-07, 09:06 PM
Yeah!! Stick it up 'em,Titans! :box:

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 09:07 PM
Walker converts!

Gold Coast Titans ahead for the first time in the match!

TITANS 16 - EELS 10

Eel 33
24-02-07, 09:08 PM
Youre quicker than *** forum.

Please tell me youre kidding about prince scoring???

Kiwigal
Great Team work. How many minutes left in the game!

Eel 33
I wrote that as you posted that above

West_Titan
24-02-07, 09:09 PM
YAY!!!!!!
GOOOO Titans!!!!! :D

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 09:09 PM
Youre quicker than footy central forum.

Please tell me youre kidding about prince scoring???

no kidding, here!

I've got DIEHARD smsing me direct from the game in lismore!

He says there's 10minutes to go at most.

Eel 33
24-02-07, 09:10 PM
10 mins parra, not long to finish off the gc

Dragons
24-02-07, 09:12 PM
Come on Titans lets do it for the coast. God! I'm glad the footy back.

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 09:12 PM
Gavin Cooper is ON FIRE!

Another TRY.

DH says they're really clicking out there now.

TITANS 20 - EELS 10

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 09:13 PM
Another successful conversion!

TITANS 22 - EELS 10

how good is this!!!

PROMETHEUS
24-02-07, 09:13 PM
So who tipped us for the spoon?
Idjits. :D

Gonzalez
24-02-07, 09:14 PM
I <3 Gavin Cooper.

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 09:15 PM
Sounds like the Titans are playing to their expectations. Go get them Titans

Eel 33
:box: :box: :box: NOT HAPPY PARRA!!! :box: :box: :box:

Steve Dangerous
And there goes the hooter!

FULLTIME

GOLD COAST TITANS 22

defeat

Parramatta Eels 10

patskE
24-02-07, 09:16 PM
wats dragons score?

Cowboy Titan
24-02-07, 09:16 PM
Congrats on the historic win.

West_Titan
24-02-07, 09:17 PM
:D Well Done TITANS!!!
Our first win....ahhh it feels great!!!

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 09:17 PM
Sounds like they are performing like a Great Team. Surely the game is now triumph for the Titans

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 09:18 PM
this is goddamn brilliant.

anticipating the season even more now.

Everyone thank DIEHARD for his score updates!

patskE
24-02-07, 09:19 PM
luv the titans
HOO HOO

Ryan
24-02-07, 09:20 PM
Other games current scores:

Dogs 24 - Dragons 16 8mins ago.....

Storm 14 - Manly 0 12mins ago.....

Souths 4 - Sharks 18 8mins ago.....

Ryan
24-02-07, 09:21 PM
this is goddamn brilliant.

anticipating the season even more now.

Everyone thank DIEHARD for his score updates!
Thanx Diehard ;)
:win: :win: :win:

Dragons
:D Well Done TITANS!!!
Our first win....ahhh it feels great!!!
I'm loving it.

Gonzalez
Anyone got news on the Cowboys V Warriors match?

Supergoose
Yee-hah, I'm sitting here waiting for the game of Texas Hold 'em to finish so I can buy in again with my best mate who is on the big stack and he's a Parra fan. I have now reclaimed sledging rights. Way to go Titans!

PROMETHEUS
24-02-07, 09:22 PM
WOO HOO!!
Enjoy the celebrations boys...bring on the penrith pussies! :box: :D

West_Titan
24-02-07, 09:22 PM
Great call of the scores Steve Dangerous and Diehard. :clap:
Thank you very much boys, you both did an amazing job!!!!
WELL DONE!!!

Kudos to you both!!!

GOOOO TITANS....... Premiers 2007 :D

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 09:23 PM
Well Done Titans. Great Win! Look Forward To See Them At Runaway Bay Sports Centre To Congratulate Them. Look Out Steelers

PROMETHEUS
24-02-07, 09:24 PM
Thank you Diehard and steve what a pair of champions for doing that!

Robbie_Dee
24-02-07, 09:25 PM
WHAT A WIN!!!!!! WE HAVE PROVED WE CAN COMPETE WITH THE TOP SIDES!!!!

GO THE TITANS!!!!!! :fence:

dogmaniac
24-02-07, 09:25 PM
anyone know the scores full time from dogs vs dragons? and what happened to utai??

titans_2007_fan
24-02-07, 09:26 PM
some1 go to wikipedia and make a biggest win section and first win.

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 09:26 PM
Thanks For The Update Online Steve. I Was Informing My Family The Information On Messenger As Well. Great To Get Information On Live. Give Diehard Our Regards. Party Hard.

Ryan
24-02-07, 09:29 PM
anyone know the scores full time from dogs vs dragons? and what happened to utai??
From the Bulldogs site... (http://www.bulldogs.com.au)

The Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs have begun their season 2007 campaign with a 26-16 trial win over St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium in Wollongong tonight.

In a match marked down as a trial, there was certainly plenty of feeling as it entered the latter stages.

The Bulldogs trailed the home side 6-0 early before big prop Jarrad Hickey made his way over the line. Holdsworth converted and the scores were locked at 6-6.

The Bulldogs found themselves down 16-12 at the break following a late try to Matt Cooper. The response was a quick one from the Bulldogs, with Matt Utai scoring early in the second half before the 'Dogs went on to win 26-16.

Utai picked up an ankle injury mid-way through the second half, however the full extent of the injury is not yet known.

BULLDOGS: 26
Tries: 5
Jarrad Hickey, Daniel Holdsworth, Matt Utai, Kane Cleal, Dallas McIlwain
Goals: 3
Daniel Holdsworth (2/3), Adam Perry (1/1), Lee Te Maari (0/0)

DRAGONS: 16
Tries: 3
Ben Hornby, Wes Naiqama, Matt Cooper
Goals: 2
Wes Naiqama (2/3)

stormside
24-02-07, 09:56 PM
Went to the match. I am a Parra fan and know not to take too much notice of there trail form. However they did field aside from Hindmarsh and Tahu a full strength side. Very evn match for much of it Parra doing much of teh attck in the first half. Titans guilty of plenty of errors in there quarter when running it out. 2nd half the Titans overwhelmed the Eels and ran away with the match. Showing they will be competitive this season. Crowd 8612 for Oakes Oval Lismore pretty much capacity. Titans had great crowd support and Im sure picked up a few more supporters with there win.
Congrats to the whole Titans franchise ...great start.

Kiwigal
24-02-07, 10:08 PM
Im Sure That It Was A Brillant Game To Watch. The Outcome Of The Game Showed That The Titans Have What It Takes To Make It In The Nrl. Bring It On St George

Old Diehard
24-02-07, 10:15 PM
Good news---and thanks to those keeping us updated on the scores the whole time!

Cowboy Titan
24-02-07, 10:25 PM
EELS 10 v TITANS 22
Scorers Eels: J Hayne, J Reddy tries. L Burt goal.
Scorers Titans: TBC
Oakes Oval, Lismore, NSW
7.30pm
Referee: Ben Cummins
Capacity crowd: approx 7,000
Man of the match: Preston Campbell (Titans)
HALF TIME: 4-all
FULLTIME: Titans 22-10

Well done Preston. Does anyone know if he played much of the game at fullback?

PROMETHEUS
24-02-07, 10:30 PM
Went to the match. I am a Parra fan
That explains the spelling errors then... :D

Cowboy Titan
24-02-07, 10:31 PM
Rogers has quiet debut

February 24, 2007

FORMER Australia Wallabies player Mat Rogers had a quiet return to the NRL as the Gold Coast notched its first victory ? a come-from-behind 22-10 win over Parramatta in a lacklustre trial.

The Titans trailed 10-4 after 70 minutes before crossing three times in the dying stages ? twice through second rower Gavin Cooper and another via co-captain Scott Prince, easily his team's best player.

Rogers was understandably rusty after a five-year absence but then again so were the Eels and his teammates, who were playing together for the first time as a full-strength unit.

The 31-year-old didn't touch the ball until 12 minutes into the error-riddled match played in front of an 8612-strong crowd.

He knocked on a difficult pass, and later dropped another tough ball directed above his head.

Dual international Rogers, who quit rugby union in December to join the Titans, saw very little ball throughout the remainder of the half and was rested for the final 40 minutes.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch also failed to make an impact playing five-eighth for Parramatta alongside No.7 Tim Smith.

A near full-strength Eels, missing only Australia duo Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu, dominated the early exchanges.

They were rewarded for their good field position in the 10th minute when Joel Reddy fed the ball for try-scoring machine Jarryd Hayne to score in the left corner.

Fullback Luke Burt sprayed the attempted conversion wide to leave Parramatta 4-0 ahead.
The rest of the first half turned into an arm wrestle before New Zealand international and Titans winger Jake Webster breathed some life into the contest, putting a wicked step on Hayne to cross in the right corner.

Former Eels centre Brett Delaney missed the extras as the scores were locked at 4-all at half-time.

Parramatta edged ahead 10-6 in the 50th minute through a converted try to Reddy after back rower Todd Lowrie sent a beautiful pass to the centre, who carried rookie Smith Samau over the line in the right corner.

Prince engineered a try for Cooper with a well-weighted grubber in the 71st minute and then scored one himself two minutes later to give the Titans a 16-10 advantage.

Cooper capped a pleasing night when he latched onto a Matt Hilder bomb and scored a double to put the game beyond doubt.

New South Wales and Eels winger Eric Grothe left the field early in the match with a suspected ankle injury while Titans back rower Brad Meyers went into the sheds five minutes before half-time with his ankle heavily iced.

The Titans take on Penrith at Carrara Stadium while the Eels meet Sydney Roosters in Gosford next weekend.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21282623-23214,00.html

LINK (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21282623-23214,00.html)

Steve Dangerous
24-02-07, 10:57 PM
Gold Coast Titans VS Parramatta Eels Trial Match at (24/02/07)

History was made at Oakes Oval tonight, with The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans securing the new clubs maiden victory, recording a 22-10 win over a scrappy Parramatta Eels side.

A record crowd of 8612 braved the cool Lismore conditions, to witness months of hard work pay off for the NRL new boys, with the electrifying Titans backline crossing for three converted tries in the final nine minutes to secure an entertaining victory.

In what was a scrappy game, both teams preferred to work on combinations for the arduous season ahead, with Titans halves Scott Prince and Matt Hilder communicating well throughout the night. It was a frustrating night for Titans Union recruit Matt Rogers, dropping two difficult passes whilst in half gaps early in the match, and not returning for the second half.

The Eels had the better of the early forward exchanges, with powerhouse prop Fuifui Moimoi barrelling Titans defenders with his every charge. But the determination and power of the Titans defence blunted much of the Eels early dominance.

The youthful Eels backline clicked into gear in the 10th minute, with a simple overlap movement allowing Jarryd Hayne to cross in the corner unopposed. Luke Burt?s sideline conversion sailed wide, but the Eels had the ascendancy at 4-0.

The Titans first foray into the Eels danger zone almost reaped dividends for Jake Webster in the 13th minute, with Scott Prince?s grubber kick just rolling dead despite the desperate lunge by the big Kiwi international.

Sustained pressure by the Eels midway through the first half saw the visitors come close to scoring, with only desperate Titans last ditch scrambling defence preventing them from adding to the score.

In the 35th minute, Titans interchange forward Kris Kahler steamed onto a great Scott Prince pass, with only desperate last ditch defence by Luke Burt and Jarryd Hayne preventing him from scoring.

However, a dropped ball shortly after by Burt proved costly for the Eels, with Titans centre Brett Delaney finding a rampaging Webster, who outpaced the Eels cover defence to touch down in the corner. Brett Delaney?s sideline conversion attempt blew wide, leaving the score at 4 all at half time.

More concerted pressure by the Eels saw new recruit Todd Lowrie put winger Joel Reddy over in the 50th minute. This time Luke Burt nailed the sideline conversion, pushing the Eels ahead by 10-4.

The Eels were able to gain great field position thanks to a string of penalties by Referee Ben Cummins, allowing the visitors to camp down on the Titans goal line for much of the third quarter, with only desperate Titans defence preventing them from scoring.

The Gold Coast team came out firing in the last quarter, with Titans back rower Gavin Cooper scoring off a crafty Prince grubber in the 72nd minute. Chris Walker slotted the goal to make it 10 all with eight minutes left on the clock.

The Titans were in again just two minutes later, after a great interchange of passes saw Titans captain Scott Prince cross under the posts. Walker yet again nailed the conversion, and the Titans were on the verge of their first win at 16-10.

Gavin Cooper capped off a tremendous night in the centres with his second opportunist try just two minutes out from full time, after young Titans winger Smith Samau knocked a bomb back into the waiting hands of Cooper. Chris Walker slotted another tough conversion, securing the Titans their first ever win, 22-10.

The only injury concerns for the Titans were Brad Meyers, who limped off with an ankle injury, while for the Eels Chad Robinson and Eric Grothe both appeared to sustain ankle and head cut injuries respectively.

Gold Coast Titans 22 (Gavin Cooper 2, Jake Webster, Scott Prince tries; Chris Walker 3 goals)
Defeated
Parramatta Eels 10 (Jarryd Hayne, Joel Reddy tries; Luke Burt goal)

At Oakes Oval, Lismore
Referee ? Ben Cummins
Crowd - 8612

http://www.titans.com.au/pages/page.php?mod=newsroom&page=227

Cowboy Titan
24-02-07, 11:28 PM
The Gold Coast team came out firing in the last quarter, with Titans back rower Gavin Cooper scoring off a crafty Prince grubber in the 72nd minute. Chris Walker slotted the goal to make it 10 all with eight minutes left on the clock.

Gavin Cooper capped off a tremendous night in the centres with his second opportunist try just two minutes out from full time, after young Titans winger Smith Samau knocked a bomb back into the waiting hands of Cooper. Chris Walker slotted another tough conversion, securing the Titans their first ever win, 22-10.
So where did Cooper actually play?

Gonzalez
24-02-07, 11:37 PM
Second Row.

HighTitan
24-02-07, 11:49 PM
Eels played well, Built a nice lead and then the all-mighty power of the Titans came into action.

I would have loved to see it.

C-Whiz
24-02-07, 11:55 PM
OK, just got in, put the young fella to bed... and now, for those who are interested in my point of view from the sidelines....

That was one of the most entertaining games of football I've had the pleasure of watching so far this (pre) season! OK, there was a fair amount of dropped ball by both sides, but all up it was end-to-end, tryline-to-tryline sort of rugby league. Each team had opportunities go begging, some across the line, but for me the standout was how, in the 3rd quarter (pre-season has quarters) the Eels were monstering the Titans line, building pressure, kicking in-goal and catching the Titans in there at least twice, and must have had at least 4 or 5 back-to-back sets of 6 in the 10m area, but the Titans defence just held strong, didn't panic and kept them out. It was pretty inspirational, actually!

Then, at the 3rd quarter break, while catching their breath before returning for another goal line drop-out back to the attacking Eeels, something must have been said, or a plan hatched, who knows, but after successfully denying the Eeels to cross in the start of the 4th quarter, the Titans just started to turn it on! I mean, the fired-up and just clicked or something. Preston was dynamite playing from dummy-half in the second half, and made a sizzling break that had us all roaring on the hill! He disappeared for a brief while after the half time break but came back and put his magic running and stepping on show. Scott Prince (who admittedly showed some early jitters or a bit of rust, depending what you'd put that first touch down to....) was absolute icing on the cake. Luke Bailey for mine seemed to just keep doing what he does best, and I cannot go through and tell you how good it was to watch every Titan player do something good, to just muscle up in that last quarter and take it to the Eels, to hold strong in that 3rd quarter and deny them a try, to just lift the crowd and make it a historic moment for the club, and show really good things that can be built on..... just friggin' fantastic!

Anyway, it might be a while til I'm ready to sleep, but it was well worth the drive and I wish all the boys the best on a well deserved victory and a really pleasing little rugby league result!

ps, that's just my 2 cents worth.....

Coaster
24-02-07, 11:57 PM
But the determination and power of the Titans defence blunted much of the Eels early dominance.

This is the sentance i like most.

Defence will win games, we have the fairies to score enough tries, but we need to stop them scoring.

C-Whiz
25-02-07, 12:02 AM
I don't know what the penalty count was, but it seemed the ref was blowing his whistle every few minutes for some petty play-the-ball infringement. There were a couple of dodgy calls, a few where we were a bit tardy letting them get up, but I would be interested to know the count.

I'm sure Carty will be looking at the play-the-ball area a bit more closely in the next few weeks, but a damn fine turn out from the coaching staff!

On ya fellas!

dee13
25-02-07, 12:26 AM
Please refer to this post on the 20-2-07 on page 1 of this thread.

Another prediction by Dee13 comes to fruition.

This game was awsome for Titans fans.

I have to thank the Titans Management for tonight. I got some great onfield photos.

The players are all extatic with this effort.
Chris Walker said: "Ohh mate this is awsome. How good is it." as the team went for their lap of honour.

Michael Searle and Paul Broughton are both over the moon. I spent the first half of the match with Michael and he was happy with the half time result let alone the full time result.

I can easily say the Titans are supported in Lismore. A crowd of people waited for ages after the game for a glimpse of the boys.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN SEARLEY AND THE WHOLE TITANS FAMILY

HighTitan
25-02-07, 12:28 AM

Nice work Dee. Its hard picking the trials because it is all experimented and who knows what will happen.

Poida
25-02-07, 12:29 AM

This game was awsome for Titans fans.

I have to thank the Titans Management for tonight. I got some great onfield photos.

The players are all extatic with this effort.
Chris Walker said: "Ohh mate this is awsome. How good is it." as the team went for their lap of honour.

Michael Searle and Paul Broughton are both over the moon. I spent the first half of the match with Michael and he was happy with the half time result let alone the full time result.

I can easily say the Titans are supported in Lismore. A crowd of people waited for ages after the game for a glimpse of the boys.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN SEARLEY AND THE WHOLE TITANS FAMILY

They won by 12 though ;)

dee13
25-02-07, 12:30 AM
Nice work Dee. Its hard picking the trials because it is all experimented and who knows what will happen.
Nice avatar of Scott Prince. Its great to see my photos being used. I will take it as a compliment to my photography. Thanks

dee13
25-02-07, 12:32 AM
They won by 12 though ;)
Point is I had no doubt in my mind that we would win. Bring on Penrith

HighTitan
25-02-07, 12:32 AM
Nice avatar of Scott Prince. Its great to see my photos being used. I will take it as a compliment to my photography. Thanks
Thankyou Dee. I recieved the image from a friend. Wasnt sure who took it, Great work and thankyou. You went to the trial, Yes?

Parra Petty
25-02-07, 12:33 AM

That would be my fault - Cooper started in the backrow, but ended up in the centres in the last quarter.

Preston played the first half at fullback, and dummy half in the last quarter.

What I said about Matt Rogers in the report was true - he didnt reappear in the second half, but to be honest, they were difficult balls he put down.

Prince nad Hilder combined really well, and a big wrap to Clint Amos - very good service from dummy half, and played a PJ Marsh style game, in that he made a few scoots.

Mixed feelings for this Parra supporter of 22 years - my team lost, but my new team had a good win!!

Hope you enjoyed the report everyone!

Parra Petty

dee13
25-02-07, 12:37 AM
Thankyou Dee. I recieved the image from a friend. Wasnt sure who took it, Great work and thankyou. You went to the trial, Yes?
Yes, I was there. I spent the pre game and a quarter of the game on the sideline taking photos of the players. Then went into the main grandstand for the rest of the game.

The photo of Pricey was taken at the first official training session back a few months ago

HighTitan
25-02-07, 12:39 AM
Yes, I was there. I spent the pre game and a quarter of the game on the sideline taking photos of the players. Then went into the main grandstand for the rest of the game.
Will you be posting up your photos from the match? They will be good to see.

dee13
25-02-07, 12:40 AM
Will you be posting up your photos from the match? They will be good to see.
Yes I will be posting the photos for all to see, sometime tomorrow

patskE
25-02-07, 12:43 AM
sif make us wait :( ahah

i was over the moon, had ppl over at my place, but keep checking the scores
ran out screaming when i found out we won!
yeh ya BRING ON THE DRAGONS

~lee~
25-02-07, 04:32 AM
Firstly Booooooooooo! Secondly Well done Titans!!!!!

Its really good news they have managed to get the first victory under the belt but did they have to do it against Parra!

From the reports i have read the defence should be mightily proud of itself they held strong against the obvious NRL favourites and kept them to 10 points.

Congrats to everyone at the Titans and lets hope the boys can get the 2nd win in a row.

qld power
25-02-07, 08:34 AM
booya good job from over the ditch to the titans bois

squirrell
25-02-07, 08:53 AM
Whooo Hoooo!! Another entry into the sports history books.Glad to say i was there,turned out to have the best seats,right above the tunnel(congrats to any of you lot if you were in the seats to the left of the main stand and started the mexican wave and the singing,thought for a long time that it would never make it all the way around to me,but it did,great effort!!!)l.I felt anxious for long periods of the game,aware that a loss would bring out the detractors and the "told you so's" but the titans seemed so calm and in control of the game even though at times they were under the gun,that when our second try was scored it lifted not only the players to a new level of confidence but i felt it in the crowd as well.A lot was riding on this game after declaring that this was potentially the strongest titans team to play parra and i cant wait to go back to work and face all the doubters who thought we were on to a flogging,i ve had my money on the titans finishing top 8,top4 and winning premership for weeks now,i wonder if the odds will come in?especially when we take the panthers apart on friday.im counting the sleeps till the penrith game,thanks and congrats to ALL involved in the titans in all areas not just the playing roster,you made us proud last night.

qld power
25-02-07, 10:56 AM
good to see some footage of the game on sky news :D

dee13
25-02-07, 11:10 AM
Our defensive game was outstanding last night. We were put under pressure early in the first half with a few handling errors. Gilley can be proud of what he has achieved in his defensive training with the boys. As the season rolls on, it shold become pretty hard to crack the line aginst the Titans.

The backs ran riot. Early in the game the boys were getting a feel for each other, hence some fundamental errors. Once they got into the groove in the second half they looked absolutly awesome. Every player wanted to touch the ball.

One very notable thing last night after the game was, They didn't look tired. Billy Johnstone has worked these guys into the fittest athletes in the NRL. Several players that I have spoken to say they are the fittest they have ever been. This could make a huge difference further into the year.

GO YOU GOOD THINGS

All the best
Dee13

PROMETHEUS
25-02-07, 11:12 AM
Congrats (again! :D ) to the boys and the coaching staff on the historic first win,it must have been pleasing to all involved to keep parra out with the amount of back-to-back sets they had!
A big thank you to those forum members lucky enough to be there who took photos and sent match reports,it helped ease the nerves. :sick:
BRING ON THE PANTHERS!! :box:

Titanium_BD1103
25-02-07, 12:14 PM
Well done to the team... that was very good play to come from behind and win... :)

I agree 100% with the sentiments of Dee 13, the defense last night from what I have heard was amazing, and the commitment just as good.

It's great to see the side notch up it's first win... and the smiles were worth 1000 words...:D

It is good to see that all the player got through unscathed and got a good hitout... and for those who are worrying, don't worry about Mat Rogers, he will get back into the swing of things soon enough and be a powerhouse.

Great to see Matt Hilder get some game time and he looks like a good backup utility and Walker continues to impress.

Overall very happy with the effort and commitment and the fact there is a win at the end of it all is even more sweeter.

GOOD LUCK GC IN 2007... 1 win under the belt, hopefully many more to come.. :D :D

patskE
25-02-07, 12:29 PM
how did presto play at fullback, rkn they keep him there? or will they give mathers a chance to make it his own?

HighTitan
25-02-07, 02:05 PM
how did presto play at fullback, rkn they keep him there? or will they give mathers a chance to make it his own?
I hope they give Mathers the first shot. He deserves it after all the hard work he has been putting in at training, If we play Preston at FB. Who will be 5/8th ? Rogers?

Point is. Id rather have Mathers starting fullback.

Poida
25-02-07, 02:05 PM
Great win for the Titans although I hoped Eels would win but good first win :)

HighTitan
25-02-07, 02:07 PM
Why were you hopeing that the Eels would win?

Poida
25-02-07, 02:09 PM
Why were you hopeing that the Eels would win?
Because my mate was feeling down this week and he goes for Eels so I wanted them to win for his sake

HighTitan
25-02-07, 02:12 PM
Because my mate was feeling down this week and he goes for Eels so I wanted them to win for his sake
Fair Enough. I would be feeling down also if I was an Eels supporter.

dee13
25-02-07, 05:18 PM
Preston played more of a utility role. I saw Chrissy Walker at fullback at one stage. I spoke to Richie last night and he is hell bent on securing the No1 jersey. So when it comes time to put 17 men on paper for the Dragons game, Im sure Carty will get it right.

TITAN PETE
26-02-07, 11:04 AM
It was a great win considering what the penalty count must have been against us & Carty showed a lot of faith in the younger guys who had to put up with 4 or 5 sets of 6 on their own line & they held strong.
The guy who stood out for us was without a doubt PRESTON CAMPBELL , he started at fullback & was peppered with plenty of high stuff but never looked like dropping 1, he then moved to 5/8 which lead to Webster scoring, like most of the team he sat on the bench untill the last 1/4 & played mostly hooker & had a hand in all 3 other tries it was an excellent 1st game & if he keeps that form up he may chase another Dally M, who knows!
Also another great effort from Chris Walker who came on in the 2nd half played fullback & kicked 2 goals from the sideline, i think he will be a definant starter in the 17 man quad against the Dragons.

Did anyone else there see Shannon Walker playing for Seagulls, apart from a dropped ball he played well & when he made a break it was daylight 2nd, he has excellent footwork & i don't think there would be too many quicker than him :!: .

Bring on the Panthers!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIEHARD
02-03-07, 04:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/theflag.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/diehardlismore.jpg

DIEHARD at Lismore.