PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Would you sign Lance Thompson?

DeeGan
04-11-05, 09:23 AM
Titans: Would you sign Lance Thompson?

Ok, you are in charge of recruiting for the Gold Coast Titans, do you sign Lance Thimpson for the 2007 season and beyond?

DeeGan

Super Cronk
04-11-05, 10:54 AM
No - Possible disruptive influence who has seen his best footy

Queenslander
04-11-05, 11:02 AM
No for me also, i wouldnt take the risk of signing him, especially at a new club

DeeGan
04-11-05, 01:05 PM
Un-decided

Lance Thompson is a good first grade rugby league player and has been so since he made his debut back in 1995.

Why would I sign him?

- Veteran player who is an on field leader
- Good work rate in both attack and defence
- Passionate about the game and his club
- Fringe rep player, holds respect amongst his peers

Why I wouldn't sign him?

- Off-field dramas happen all to regulary
- Reacts before thinking which can be to the detriment of the club and himself
- Best football behind him
- Tireless worker, though a younger backrower would offer more in attack as Thommo' is perhaps getting closer and closer to becoming a prop (see Gary Larson)
- Asking price may be too high which would outweigh the value of the investment

Roger
04-11-05, 01:22 PM
No, i think he was going to play only one more year anyway, so signing him would be a waste of money. There should be a lot better and younger players coming off contract next year

Ipswich Fan
04-11-05, 01:30 PM
I think that the Gold Coast have enough experienced players where they don't need Thompson & in my view he'd only get in the way of stopping one of the emerging players in the Qld Cup coming through.

titans_fanatic
04-11-05, 04:07 PM
nope wont play with pride for gold coast imo or any club for that matter so no and also he is past his best

Dakink
05-11-05, 09:05 AM
Not sure - unlike Presto I think Thommo would put everything in wherever he plays. I only think he maybe a little to disruptive off the field.

Teegy
05-11-05, 09:52 AM
I might be bias but i don't remember that many off feild dramas. this is a person who puts his heart in every week and also has taken pay cuts to help the dragons resign Barrett.

Dakink
05-11-05, 10:02 AM
I might be bias but i don't remember that many off feild dramas. this is a person who puts his heart in every week and also has taken pay cuts to help the dragons resign Barrett.

I had forgotten that - that is so true. A good indication of the type of person he is.

Titanium_BD1103
05-11-05, 11:10 AM
IMO... I don't think he has had that many off field dramas.. however if he is going to go at young players like he did Poore then NO.. however that may be exaggerated, I really don't know the full story....;)

Apparently he wants the join the Bulldogs Next year, HE WON'T WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY... but if he was to play for nothing, I'd be happy to have him... :D

He is a good player who is very useful and always tries his best for those who he plays with... not a bad asset if he can keep the off field situations under control.. which I think he could do under the right club.

ridgey
05-11-05, 02:46 PM
i'd have no problems signing thommo for the titans first season to add some experience to an already good looking pack.i honestly can't remember him ever behaving that badly at the saints besides the odd misdameanour when he was younger.i think he's proved what a great clubman he is on and off the field and he's a tireless reliable back rower who turns up every week.if the asking price wasn't to severe i think a good buy.
a couple of years with Carty might even help his ballplaying ability as well.

dan the man
05-11-05, 07:30 PM
he is still young.. he is not even 1 yr older than ryles... and is ryles came available to some months u guys would jump on him.. lance would relish another chance....and especially to be owned by a new club.. he is tough a leader and gives it all... unlike barrett who get injured and injured.. lance bounces straight back after his injuries and hits the paddock.. yes he is a warhorse.. however he is on the field more than off. unlike trent and ryles and gasnier.. he is the man.... and would make a great club captain (not team)..... :leonardo:

Research Station Drive
08-11-05, 01:35 PM
Bulldog Titan - he's previously got into a blue with Andrew Hart at the Leagues Club and turned up to training drunk (while experiencing personal problems).

I don't think the Titans should be adding 'trouble' players while they are still creating their culture. Hire hard workers who don't cause trouble off the field. These kind of players will contribute to the clubs work ethic.

Thompson is passionate and has been a very good player. However, this kind of off field crap is not what you need ever, and particularly not at a new club. Also, Khoder Nasser (Thommo's Advisor and Anthony Mundine's manager) should never be allowed within 100 km's of the Gold Coast Titans.

ridgey
08-11-05, 05:52 PM
Bulldog Titan - he's previously got into a blue with Andrew Hart at the Leagues Club and turned up to training drunk (while experiencing personal problems).

I don't think the Titans should be adding 'trouble' players while they are still creating their culture. Hire hard workers who don't cause trouble off the field. These kind of players will contribute to the clubs work ethic.

Thompson is passionate and has been a very good player. However, this kind of off field crap is not what you need ever, and particularly not at a new club. Also, Khoder Nasser (Thommo's Advisor and Anthony Mundine's manager) should never be allowed within 100 km's of the Gold Coast Titans.

so i'm guessing you wouldn't want choc in a titans jersey either :D

Steve Dangerous
08-11-05, 07:03 PM
Well Scotty Sattler did say:

We have said all along that we will sign the person before the player.

So if his behaviour is indeed dubious then it would be unlikely for him to be signed.

However, I don't follow that sort of stuff... not my scene, so i can't really judge on what he's meant to have done etc as i don't really know and don't really want to. (i'll leave that up to rebecca wilson et al).

he's always been a good player with a great workrate and team ethic... but perhaps in 2007 will be on the downhill part of his career.

so really, i place a lot of trust in the titans fellas to make the right choice... i don't really know myself.

Sharks
08-11-05, 07:05 PM
Lance Thompson is very close to signing with cronulla in the next week or two but I reckon he will only sign for a season,a move to Titans in 07 is very likely.

Research Station Drive
09-11-05, 02:27 PM
Ridgey - I love Choc but he's a boxer now, no longer a League

In my personal opinion the majority of Choc's stupid comments and actions (well the big ones anyway) in the past have stemmed from Nasser.

If Nasser is his manager, shouldn't he have steered Choc away from most of the actions that have alienated most Australian sports fans from him?

I recall Nathan Brown (a close friend of Mundine) calling for him to get rid of Nasser because he was a bad influence. Nasser seems to be attracted to trouble like flies to sh*t.