PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: O'Donnell to meet fire with fire

DeeGan
04-11-05, 10:01 AM
O'Donnell to meet fire with fire
From Wayne Heming in Manchester
November 3, 2005

AUSTRALIA back rower Luke O'Donnell will be looking to protect his "patch" against a Great Britain side he believes will come out breathing fire in the Tri-Nations Test in Wigan on Sunday morning (AEDT).

O'Donnell can already lay claim to the "hit of the tournament" for his full body shot on try-bound Louis Anderson in Australia's two-point victory over New Zealand in Auckland last month.

"We were under a fair bit of pressure, I think it was the second or third set of defending on our line after a few drop outs," O'Donnell said of the tackle.

"I was in my position and not wanting to let anyone through I guess.

"All the players take pride in their defence and I just threw my shoulder in at him."

While modesty prevents O'Donnell from giving himself a rap for the crunching hit, he is planning to be equally fired up this weekend.

"(Great Britain) always fire up against the Aussies," he said.

"All the Test matches I've watched, they always start off pretty fiery.

"They've got even more reason to be fired up this time because they need to win to keep their hopes alive. I'm sure it'll be real tough."

Kangaroos teammate and noted big-hitter Petero Civoniceva said the players were all talking about O'Donnell's tackle after the game.

"It was a bell ringer," Civoniceva, a feared hitter who's collected a few tackling awards for the Broncos over the years, said.

"Luke has really impressed every one.

"He gets through an amazing amount of work and still comes up with those big, rattling tackles."

O'Donnell has been happy with his two Tests to date.

"The first Test (in Sydney) was a bit of a blur, a bit frantic," he said.

"I was on the wrong side on the scoreboard but it was still a great experience and still a proud moment.

"The second Test was probably the toughest game of rugby league I've ever played, and I really enjoyed it.

O'Donnell joined a select band of players when picked for Australia before playing State of Origin ? a formality for him next year if he carries his outstanding form into 2006.

"It was a pretty big step up," he said.

"I'm just grateful for the opportunity and now I don't want to give it up."

The Kangaroos had a few minor hiccups yesterday, with rookie tourist Ben Creagh unable to attend the team's weight session, due to a virus, and both interchange forwards Jason Ryles (thigh) and Willie Mason (shoulder)receiving treatment for injuries that will require last-minute medical clearances.

Great Britain coach Brian Noble meanwhile added halves Richard Horne and Iestyn Harris to his squad.

Vice-captain Brian Carney was named to give him a chance of redeeming himself after his shocker against New Zealand last weekend.

Veteran forward Keith Senior, who made his international debut in 1994, was also named in the squad.

Agence France-Presse

Another feature on Luke O'Donnell, what a tour he is having and the great thing is, O'Donnell has long rep career ahead of him injury permitting. If only he was a QLD'er :p

The highlighted section of the article concerns me given Mason, Ryles and Hindmarsh are in the 18 man squad.

I only hope we are not heading into this one thinking we only need to turn up, a mistake that has been made on previous tours to the old dart'.

DeeGan

..::Coops::..
04-11-05, 10:08 AM
they should have picked skando instead!!! played great in teh finals and he's NOT injured either.

on luke o'donnell - he's had a great tour so far, hope he keeps is th egood work

DeeGan
04-11-05, 10:17 AM
they should have picked skando instead!!! played great in teh finals and he's NOT injured either.

Agreed, as I think most on this forum do.

Oh wait...Bennett 'owed' Willie Mason :ok:

DeeGan

..::Coops::..
04-11-05, 10:49 AM
even though he 'owed' mason, surely skando was a better choice than ryles, and they could have put him in instead of hindamrsh,. what were those :noidea: selectors thinking:curse:

also if mason and rlyes both aren't declared fit to play, who do you think they will put in the team?