PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: Lockyer's new bodyguard

DeeGan
04-11-05, 08:57 AM
Tri-Nations: Lockyer's new bodyguard
By Dean Ritchie in Manchester
November 4, 2005

LUKE O'Donnell has switched sides of the field defensively to become the latest protector and bodyguard of Australia captain skipper and five-eighth Darren Lockyer.

O'Donnell, who defends the left side for North Queensland, will now be side by side with Lockyer on the right side during Australia's Tri-Nations Test against Great Britain at Wigan on Sunday morning (AEDT).

The Kangaroos have five back-rowers who all defend on the left side, with O'Donnell being the man coach Wayne Bennett chose to swap and be Lockyer's "minder".

It has been a role undertaken by Tonie Carroll at Brisbane in recent times.

"When Wayne mentioned that he wanted me to defend next to Locky I was excited about it," O'Donnell said.

"It's a good job for me and it has some responsibility.

"Darren is a very experienced player who knows how to handle himself.

"But he is a ball player and they generally get targeted.

"I'll work with him - it is something I will take pride in."

O'Donnell is reluctant to discuss his reputation but acknowledges that people see him as an enforcer.

"Defence is the first part of my game I want to get in order," he said. "I know that stuff has been said about me before but I don't like to say too much - actions speak louder than words."

Lockyer said he was comforted to be defending alongside O'Donnell.

"Luke is really enthusiastic and he really whacks in defence," Lockyer said. "Tonie Carroll is the best defender I have ever seen but Luke is real strong and he hits solid."

Meanwhile, Great Britain named a 19-man squad, dropping forward Nick Fozzard and halfback Rob Burrow for the match against Australia.

They were replaced by Iestyn Harris and Hull's Richard Horne.

The Daily Telegraph

In many ways O'Donnell has arrived on this tour.

No Origin representative experience though Bennett has started him in all tests so far this tour and now he is asked to fill the roll of Toni Carroll and 'cover' Lockyer in defence.

Bennett has given O'Donnell a vote in confidence, he will not let us down and will ensure Lockyer is 'covered' on Sunday morning.

DeeGan

Queenslander
04-11-05, 09:52 AM
Bennett has given O'Donnell a vote in confidence, he will not let us down and will ensure Lockyer is 'covered' on Sunday morning.

Its a big thing to get asked to cover Darren Lockyer by Wayne Bennett. Its a huge task, if Lockyer doesnt get the protection required.........:dead:

[BroncosGirl]
04-11-05, 05:01 PM
I think O'Donnell can do the job, it is a big thing to be asked, but hes already proven himself this series IMO, he's done and excellent job in the games already played.

Dakink
05-11-05, 08:32 AM
Great - Locky really needs the defensive help as he will be targeted and I have massive raps on O'Donnell.