PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Carney may return for the Wigan Warriors under player swap agreement

Queenslander
11-02-07, 11:11 AM
Carney Tries to swap himself in Titans deal

Summary from the Sunday Mail:

Brian Carney is set to end is short-lived retirement and induce player swap with Super League club Wigan.

Carney is expected to ask for a release so he can ink with Wigan. Pat Richards understood to be the prize for the Titans should they agree to a Carney comeback.

As of today the Titans have not yet received any details about the deal.

qld power
11-02-07, 11:16 AM
carney is a joke

Titanium_BD1103
11-02-07, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't call him a joke... he was homesick and therefore decided to give up Rugby League... however I'm guessing he's now homesick for Rugby League even though he's much happier with his family in Ireland now.

TBH, if we got Pat Richards, that would be a fair swap indeed... I mean Pat was a star at the Tigers, is a handy kicker, a fantastic winger and a player who always gives 100%... I would want that in my team any day of the week... :)

If the offer is true, the Titans should seriously consider, as having Mat Rogers, Jake Webster, Luke O'Dwyer, Brett Delaney, Richie Mathers and Pat Richards is a fantastic backline indeed.

Add the depth then of Graham, Walker, Paea and Samau, and the Titans future in the backs is very bright indeed... :)

Ryan
11-02-07, 01:22 PM
TBH, if we got Pat Richards, that would be a fair swap indeed... I mean Pat was a star at the Tigers, is a handy kicker, a fantastic winger and a player who always gives 100%... I would want that in my team any day of the week... :)
:win: :win: :win:
I agree......
I hope this deal goes through, Pat Richards would be a pretty good asset to the team. I went on the Wigan site and got some of his stats from '06, seems as though he is good form:
Matches 24
Tries 12
Goals 12 @75%
Total Points 72

Tamwelg
11-02-07, 01:57 PM
No suprise that Carney wants to play rugby again, I told someone when he retired that it is only a matter of time before he is playing in the U.K. again, good luck to him.

I can't remember Richards, so I had a look at his writ up on the wigan site:

Pat joined Wigan Warriors on a three-year contract after helping West Tigers win the 2005 NRL Grand Final. Scored a sensational try to help Wests overcome North Queensland Cowboys 30-16 in the Final. In his last season with the club, Pat scored 20 tries in 28 appearances.

Made 24 appearances for Wigan in 2006 scoring 13 tries and was the second leading try scorer for the club last season. Is also a more than useful goal kicker with 11 conversions in 2006.

Has the versatility to play wing, centre or full back. Started in the three quarters but moved onto the wing under Brian Noble. Has an Irish passport so does not count on the overseas quota.

Joined Wests from Parramatta where he played between 2000 and 2003. Is solid in defence and has a reputation of being able to take a high ball.

Casey's Angel27
11-02-07, 02:38 PM
So he would be a good player to replace Carney here. Would Wigan trade him?

Ryan
11-02-07, 03:31 PM
So he would be a good player to replace Carney here. Would Wigan trade him?
You'd thinks so, if it means they get Carney.......
Fingers crossed, Titans can only gain from this in my eyes :)

DIEHARD
11-02-07, 04:09 PM
Gee didn't see this one coming....

kioli
11-02-07, 05:40 PM
Gaining a GF winning winger wouldn't go astray I reckon, especially after losing Carney and Turner.

PROMETHEUS
11-02-07, 06:19 PM
Can you imagine the uproar from all the melbourne fans (both of them) if the Titans agreed to this?
I say go with it,just to pi$$ em off!! :D

DeeGan
11-02-07, 06:21 PM
Can you imagine the uproar from all the melbourne fans (both of them) if the Titans agreed to this?

Why would a Melbourne fan be concerned with this?

PROMETHEUS
11-02-07, 06:31 PM
What with all the drama and time and press devoted to the turner saga,if the Titans agree to the Carney swap asap then the storm would compare both cases and say "whats the difference"?

Steelers
11-02-07, 06:51 PM
The difference would be that Wigan and Brian Carney were more than co-operative and compensating in the situation, while Melbourne were completely the opposite.

PROMETHEUS
11-02-07, 07:01 PM
Yeah, we know that but you cant argue/reason with melbourne!! :dead:

Grimmace
11-02-07, 07:16 PM
Yeah, we know that but you cant argue/reason with melbourne!! :dead:
Mate, Melbourne fans have recgonised that the situation was handled poorly. Just out of couriosity do you have a thing against Melbourne ?

Ryan
11-02-07, 07:19 PM
Gee didn't see this one coming....
I didn't see it coming, but looking back now............. :rolleyes:
It seems Carney took note from Turners mistake and found another way out, and I wreckon it might work out for him.
I'm interested to see the details of this story:
Did Wigan pursue Carney after he announced he was coming home and offer Pat Richards a trade?
Or
Did Carney plan this in advance with Wigan and plot a false retirement?

The events leading up to Carney's retirement and now this are suspicious :cool:

Capital_Shark
11-02-07, 07:27 PM
The only thing that'll stand in the way of the GC accepting this deal is how hard they're going for Lote, the money he's after, every cent will count. Otherwise I see it as a good option.

Carney loves footy and it was only a matter of time before he regretted his decision to give it up. Its unfortunate for the Titans that he's an emotional little thing that struggles to leave the nest.

~lee~
12-02-07, 01:24 AM
Warrington saw Richards as the weak link and targeted his side of the field especially on the turnaround. Poor form by Carney if he goes to Wigan.

mb63
12-02-07, 12:34 PM
Why would a Melbourne fan be concerned with this?
We're not,I reckon the Titans should grab Pat Richards.This has nothing to do with the Turner situation.

DeeGan
12-02-07, 12:57 PM
We're not,I reckon the Titans should grab Pat Richards.This has nothing to do with the Turner situation.

The majority know this, it was directed at PROM obviously ;)

mb63
12-02-07, 01:35 PM
The difference would be that Wigan and Brian Carney were more than co-operative and compensating in the situation, while Melbourne were completely the opposite.
True,but I don't think Carney hasn't been totally honest in this whole thing.

Supergoose
13-02-07, 08:37 PM
At least we'd get a player who can kick a goal line drop out around 60 metres and kick towering kick-offs (We may even get away with using his illegal kicking tees!) Also a very good winger under the high ball. If his heart is in it - pick him up without delay!

quins rl
13-02-07, 09:39 PM
There has been virtually nothing about this in the UK,not sure Richards would add much,he has been dire for Wigan all last season when he played,rated as one of their worst ever overseas signings.I dont think Brian Carney will play again,his hamstrings are becoming more and more volatile.

bigjim
14-02-07, 11:44 AM
:erm: Always makes me a little suspicious when all the details of a deal have been made public without either side actually talking.

Carney is homesick.
Carney has lost his drive and enthusiasm for the game of league
Carney has decided to retire
Titans are considering releasing him from his contract to play in England.
Carney wants to go to Wigan.
Wigan may release Richards in an agreed swap.
Richards is agreeable to the swap and wants to return to Australia.
And they all lived happy ever after

Which of the above statements is true and which are speculation?

It makes you wonder where this information is actually coming from, why and how long its been known.

Just a thought

Supernova
14-02-07, 11:59 AM

I'm a Melbourne fan and in all honesty i couldn't care less if a the deal was struck and i haven't spoken to nor seen any other Storm fan that does care. If you must know i reckon the Titans would be crazy not to take up the offer if there is any truth to the rumor.

In fact i'd go as far to say you'd cop even more criticism off not only Storm fans but all other fans as well if the Titans had the chance to cut a deal and didn't do it. If that was the case they'd be derelict in their duties to themselves, their players, their sponsors and their fans. But in saying that i think it's highly unlikely the powers that be at the Titans would be that silly to not take the opportunity to make their club stronger as they should if the offer comes up. Go for it 110% i reckon.

Your post is a blatantly obvious attempt to to deride Storm supporters and paint them in a bad light (this is where you say we do a good enough job of that ourselves, so predictable :rolleyes:) but all you've managed to do is make yourself look like a complete knob because you're only one that thinks something like this deal would upset us Storm fans, even your fellow fans don't know where the hell you're coming from and why it would bother us. Idiot :rotflmao:

MPTMP
14-02-07, 12:28 PM
Although probably not too many NRL fans care too much about the comparison, the Brisbane Lions AFL club had a star player (Mal Michael) who last year applied for and was granted release from the final year of his contract so that he could take early voluntary retirement from the game.

He cited lack of interest and passion in the game and wanted to be allowed to devote more of his time and energy into his altruistic ventures in his homeland of Papua New Guinea.

The Lions ceded to his request in good faith and everything went quiet on the Mal Michael front for a perceived appropriate period of grace.

Then lo and behold, he pops up out of left field re-invigorated for AFL with a signed contract with the Lions arch enemy, Essendon.

Now I don't know what the relevant similarities and differences are between Michael's and Carney's case and nor do I really care but whatever happened to the notion of 'A man's word is his bond'?

I smell a rat or two.

Call me cynical but I can't shake the suspicion that the actions of both of these people were premeditated from start to finish and they treated the people they were dealing with unfairly, uncaringly, and disrespectfully.

TITANS007
14-02-07, 04:51 PM
Pretty rotten for Carney to blatantly lie like that. No need to make up retirement stories. He should have been straight with the Titans and just spoke of his home-sickness. Now he just seems like he has bad character.
As for Pat Richards being a possible swap, I wouldn't mind. He had a great understanding of the way Prince plays and scored many a try off Princey's kicks etc. He does amazing kick-off's too. I'd like to know if he actually wants to return to Australia or if he's happy over there. I think he'd be a good signing if he did venture our way!

PROMETHEUS
14-02-07, 07:41 PM
I'm a Melbourne fan and in all honesty i couldn't care less if a the deal was struck and i haven't spoken to nor seen any other Storm fan that does care. If you must know i reckon the Titans would be crazy not to take up the offer if there is any truth to the rumor.

In fact i'd go as far to say you'd cop even more criticism off not only Storm fans but all other fans as well if the Titans had the chance to cut a deal and didn't do it. If that was the case they'd be derelict in their duties to themselves, their players, their sponsors and their fans. But in saying that i think it's highly unlikely the powers that be at the Titans would be that silly to not take the opportunity to make their club stronger as they should if the offer comes up. Go for it 110% i reckon.

Your post is a blatantly obvious attempt to to deride Storm supporters and paint them in a bad light (this is where you say we do a good enough job of that ourselves, so predictable :rolleyes:) but all you've managed to do is make yourself look like a complete knob because you're only one that thinks something like this deal would upset us Storm fans, even your fellow fans don't know where the hell you're coming from and why it would bother us. Idiot :rotflmao:

Blah,blah ,blah...check out the smiley face at the end of my posting... :noidea:

Supernova
15-02-07, 10:01 AM
Blah,blah ,blah...check out the smiley face at the end of my posting... :noidea:

WTF does a smiley face have to do with anything? Do you mean the smiley face after you said " I say go with it, just to pi$$ em off!!" Does a smiley face change the fact that you made an idiot out of yourself thinking it would bother Storm fans if the deal went through when in fact we couldn't give a toss about it? You obviously thought it would or you wouldn't have posted it and nobody else could comprehend why it would possibly affect Storm supporters.

But since you're so big on smiley faces i'll leave you with one of my own :mine:

hugebrianfan
15-02-07, 12:32 PM
aww...i wish he'd come back to australia..im missing him like hell!!

Sonny-Skill
15-02-07, 01:37 PM
Pat Richards is lightning quick - any team would want him.

Queenslander
15-02-07, 11:10 PM
Extract from article found here:

http://www.wiganonline.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2049883&SectionID=5938

Warriors officials today denied reports that Brian Carney may return to the club in a swap deal that would see winger Pat Richards return to the Gold Coast.

Titans managing director Michael Searle, who holds the Irishman's registration, hinted he may allow Carney to relaunch his Super League career after he walked out on the NRL club.

eddie
18-02-07, 04:05 AM
i said as soon as carney said he wanted to leave that maurice lindsay was up to his old tricks again he just gets away with things all the time i recon he has enticed carney to stay but tell me how will they fit him in there salery cap . remember last year they lost 2games for overstepping the salary cap the year before,,, and its common knolege that they did it again midway through last season to avoid relegation

Throb
19-02-07, 12:11 AM
I for one would love to see Big Pat come to the coast. He played awesome with Princey in 05, and let's not forget how he finished off one of the all time great Grand Final tries after the flick pass from Benji Marshall. He has a huge fend, and is not scared to take some heat off the forwards with some powerfull running.

I saw mention that his line drop out kicks were 60 metres.... more like 70-75 metres. Huge boot - that almost scares the receiving team!!!.

I would love to see him here - aparently he has not set the SL on fire though - hope he goes ok

dee13
19-02-07, 08:12 PM
I posted this on the Brian Carney retires thread on the 16-1-07 before I became a Moderator.

Quote:I personally couldn't wait for this guy to land and start training. I was very excited to see the photos in the paper. But......

Why did you even bother to get on the plane Brian.

As for acted proffesionally and should be commended..... THATS B.S. Its a typical comment from people that sits on the fence and don't want to upset the wrong people.

At the end of the day he has wasted alot of peoples time. Don't say anything else, Get back to where it is you want to be and Thanks for nothing.

All I can say is....

WALKERS ON!!!!!!!!!

OMG... I think I have picked this like a dirty nose. I smelt a snake. Do you guys still think of him as professional. Maybe Carney and Turner are related.

Queenslander
19-02-07, 08:20 PM
He was professional in terms of not taking his pay for the first three months of his contract.

I am 100% sure that the whole Carney situation would have been dealt differently if the Steve Turner saga wasn't happening.

It was just the wrong time and wrong place to retire for Carney.

dee13
19-02-07, 08:23 PM
He was professional in terms of not taking his pay for the first three months of his contract.

I am 100% sure that the whole Carney situation would have been dealt differently if the Steve Turner saga wasn't happening.

It was just the wrong time and wrong place to retire for Carney.

I wouldn't accept 3 months pay for 1 days work either :rotflmao:

quins rl
19-02-07, 08:45 PM
Pat Richards is lightning quick - any team would want him.
Wigan would love to get shot of him,a lot of Pies fans rate him their worst ever overseas player!

PROMETHEUS
19-02-07, 08:54 PM
WTF does a smiley face have to do with anything? Do you mean the smiley face after you said " I say go with it, just to pi$$ em off!!" Does a smiley face change the fact that you made an idiot out of yourself thinking it would bother Storm fans if the deal went through when in fact we couldn't give a toss about it? You obviously thought it would or you wouldn't have posted it and nobody else could comprehend why it would possibly affect Storm supporters.

But since you're so big on smiley faces i'll leave you with one of my own :mine:
No moron,it means it was meant with humour... :D

Supernova
20-02-07, 08:23 AM
No moron,it means it was meant with humour... :D

Mmmkay.................................. :mine:

Throb
20-02-07, 02:33 PM
Can we get back to talking about Pat Richards.

I heard from the camp that the boys would be keen to work with Pattie as well.

bigjim
21-02-07, 03:39 PM
Extract from article found here:

http://www.wiganonline.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2049883&SectionID=5938

:topic: I looked at the link with comments about speculation of Carney going to Wigan. What struck me was how lost poor old Trent Barrett looks. He looks like a guy who's there for the money and wishes he was still playing with his mates.

As for Carney playing for Wigan, good luck to him.
He's was homesick and now he's not.
I for one am ready to move on. :peace: