PDA

View Full Version : Trial: Gold Coast Titans vs Melbourne Storm

DIEHARD
23-01-07, 11:15 PM
Gold Coast Titans vs Melbourne Storm
Coffs Harbour, February 17th 2007, 6:30pm (QLD Time)

FINAL SCORE

Gold Coast Titans: 6

Tries: Walker
Goals: Walker
Melbourne Storm: 32

Tries: Johnson, Quin, Tagataese, Chambers 2, Slater
Goals: Smith 4

HALF TIME: Storm 12-6
FULL TIME: Storm 32-6

************************************************** ***************************************
Referee: Tony Archer

Team Notes:

Gold Coast

The first competitive match played by the Titans
Melbourne

Eleven players from last season's Grand Final team were named in the 19-man squad to participate in the clash against the NRL's newest franchise, including full-back Billy Slater, half-back Cooper Cronk and centre Matt King.

Anthony Quinn will make his debut for the Storm after being named in the centres, while big-man Matt Rua makes his return to the game in the back row.

Greg Inglis will start his first match in the No.6 jersey, while Cameron Smith will continue in his role as hooker

Teams.

GOLD COAST TITANS

Richie Mathers
Chris Walker
Josh Graham
Jordan Atkins
Nathaniel Barnes
David Myles
Isaac Kaufmann
Michael Henderson
Tim McCann
Brad Meyers
Michael Hodgson
Adam Hutchison
Kris Kahler
Nick Parfitt
James Wood
Joel Reithmuller
Chris Enahoro
Andrew Maroney
Matt Austin
Murray Emmerson
Matt Francis
Tyson Lofipo
Josh Costello
Matt Pow
Josh Blatch
Kale Burton
Smith Samau
Josh Vaughn

MELBOURNE STORM

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Matt King
4. Anthony Quinn
5. Steve Turner
6. Greg Inglis
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Ian Donnelly
9. Cameron Smith
10. Garret Crossman
11. Jeremy Smith
12. Matt Rua
13. Dallas Johnson.
Interchange:

14. Will Chambers
15. Russell Aitken
16. Ben Cross
17. Jeff Lima
18. Sam Tagataese
19. James Aubusson.

DIEHARD
23-01-07, 11:16 PM
Storm expecting fired up Titans

Melbourne Storm wing Steve Turner can expect to cop some rough treatment if he plays against Gold Coast Titans in a National Rugby League trial next month.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has indicated he will play Turner in the February 17 trial in Coffs Harbour if the 22-year-old is ready.

Bellamy says he won't be taking any heat off Turner, who reneged on a three-year agreement with the NRL newcomers to stay in Melbourne.

Gold Coast co-captain Scott Prince hinted today the Titans planned to even the score with the rebel wing.

"The Storm and the Titans have formed a rivalry already and I'm sure if Steve Turner plays he'll be copping a bit," Prince said.

The stalemate over Turner ended last week when Melbourne agreed to pay compensation and send two players - Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac - to Gold Coast.

But it has since emerged that Samau may require shoulder surgery.

Scans will reveal the full extent of the injury tomorrow.

TAB Sportsbet has installed the Titans ($4.25) as second favourite behind Canberra ($2.50) to get the wooden spoon but Prince isn't concerned.

"As far as the odds and the betting, it's someone else's opinion," the former Queensland and Australia halfback said.

"It takes the pressure off us and that's the way we like it. We can't wait."

Prince said the intensity at training had dropped off because the squad was doing ballwork and defensive drills but trainer Billy Johnstone warned the players it would pick up again this week.

The Titans play trials against Melbourne, Parramatta and Penrith before their NRL season-opener against St George-Illawarra on March 18.

Source: FOX SPORTS

Parra Petty
23-01-07, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know the latest on Smith Samau' shoulder? Was he getting checked out today or tomorrow?

Parra Petty

mb63
24-01-07, 07:56 AM
Does anyone know the latest on Smith Samau' shoulder? Was he getting checked out today or tomorrow?

Parra Petty
I think I read scan results will be known today.

DeeGan
24-01-07, 05:32 PM
I think I read scan results will be known today.

The above was my understanding ... not 100% sure.

What a thread - our first ever trial

I will be there, the Legion will be there and the Gold Coast Titans will make their debut against a team who will be one our main rivals after this off season's Turner fiasco :peace:

Poida
24-01-07, 05:35 PM
Go the Titans.

DeeGan
30-01-07, 07:12 PM
We are getting closer and closer to our first trial ladies and gents!!

I have now hit the "like a kid waiting for Christmas" level :laugh:

Poida
30-01-07, 07:15 PM
Id like to see them start with a field goal in golden point win to start them off :D

Future Star
30-01-07, 07:58 PM
I'd like to see Richie Mathers scoring 5 tries :clap:

DIEHARD
31-01-07, 12:31 PM
NRL Trial Game: Jetstar Gold Coast Titans v Melbourne Storm

NRL's newest team - the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans - will play their very first trial game against 2006 Grand Finalists, the Melbourne Storm, on 17 February 2007 at the BCU International Stadium, formerly the Coffs Coast International Stadium.

With players of the calibre of Nathan Friend, who played in Melbourne Storm's 2006 Grand Final team and is now heading up the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans impressive squad, the club is set to make a major impact on the league in 2007 and this trial game will be their stepping off point. Former Sawtell Panthers Kevin and Dennis Gordon have also been signed up to the current squad, something for local fans to be excited about.

All players will be on edge as spots in the Jetstar Gold Coast Titan's inaugural NRL appearance against St George Illawarra on March 18 are currently up for grabs.

Date: Saturday, 17 February 2007
Time: Gates open 1.30pm, lead-up games in the afternoon, main game starts 7.30pm

Ticket Prices:
under 14s - $9
children under five - free
concessions - $14
adults - $19
grandstand - $29

Follow this link to buy tickets online - http://www.coffsharbour.nsw.gov.au/...ourne-storm.asp

SpRiNgWoOd
31-01-07, 06:10 PM
smiths shoulder got the green light from all reports

DeeGan
31-01-07, 06:33 PM
smiths shoulder got the green light from all reports

I heard that - I won't get too excited until we hear an official word.

dee13 or Parra Petty may have turned up at training and we may get more there ...

I hope he plays, this kid has big raps on him and I think we have got a real steal here in Smith.

dee13
31-01-07, 06:46 PM
I heard that - I won't get too excited until we hear an official word.

dee13 or Parra Petty may have turned up at training and we may get more there ...

I hope he plays, this kid has big raps on him and I think we have got a real steal here in Smith.
Sorry guys I had to work overtime at the other end of town. I so wanted to get there though.

Poida
31-01-07, 06:51 PM
Also will be good to see Prince and Campbell and how they go.
Two premiership winning halves have good potential at the Titans and I think will take them to the finals.

Grimmace
08-02-07, 11:10 AM
Well one player has been confirmed for the first titans match:

Walker in for Titans' debut
Brad Walter
February 8, 2007

FORMER Queensland Origin star Chris Walker will take his first step towards rebuilding his NRL career after being selected in the Gold Coast Titans side for the competition newcomers' trial debut against Melbourne.

Walker, who has had stints with Brisbane, Souths, Sydney Roosters and Melbourne, is expected to be promoted into the Titans' top squad before their opening premiership clash with St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium following the departures of Steve Turner and Brian Carney.

He is one of just a small number of first graders in the 28-man squad for the match at Coffs Harbour against the club he left midway through last year, along with returning Gold Coast products Clint Amos and Luke O'Dwyer.

Amos, a Burleigh Heads junior who spent three years in North Queensland before returning home, has the first shot at securing the hooking role, as Nathan Friend is unlikely to be fit for Gold Coast's March 18 premiership return, for which more than 20,000 tickets have already been sold.

The decision to allow Turner to remain at the Storm in return for promising juniors Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac leaves former Bronco Nick Parfitt and English recruit Richard Mathers to battle it out for the fullback job, while Australian schoolboys halfback Chris Sandow will be under scrutiny during the February 17 trial match as a back-up to playmakers Scott Prince and Preston Campbell.

"There is a lot of talent [on the Gold Coast]," Amos said after training yesterday. "You see a lot of guys go to the Broncos as well as Sydney, and Palm Beach Currumbin and Keebra Park are probably two of the best schools around so it's great that the Gold Coast has now got an NRL team.

"I really enjoyed my time at the Cowboys and it was good to be able to make my NRL debut there last year, but once the Gold Coast were in I was always wanting to come back and play here, so to run out with a Titans jersey on in the very first game is going to be a dream come true."

Source:smh

DeeGan
08-02-07, 09:02 PM
Gold Coast Titans squad posted in original thread.

DIEHARD
09-02-07, 01:16 AM
Wow Nick Parfitt! I'm excited!

dee13
09-02-07, 10:42 PM
Titan rookies to face Storm
Gold Coast Bulletin
Luke Turgeon

09Feb07

TITANS coach John Cartwright will today name a team made up mostly of National Rugby League unknowns for the Gold Coast side's first trial against Melbourne next Saturday.

Cartwright will take 28 players to Coffs Harbour for the opening pre-season hit-out, with just nine of those having had NRL experience.

Fullback Richie Mathers, winger Chris Walker, centre-winger Josh Graham and fullback-winger Smith Samau are the front runners for the remaining backline positions.

Prop is another hotly contested position with Michael Hodgeson, Michael Henderson, Kris Kahler, Brad Meyers and utility David Myles also set to play.

Cartwright will use the encounter to help determine the remaining few places in the Titans top squad to contest the final two trials in Lismore against Parramatta on February 24 and Penrith on the Gold Coast on March 2.

A host of Gold Coast Queensland Cup talent will be given a shot at cracking the inaugural squad.

Cartwright is expected to keep a close eye on Burleigh's Jordan Atkins, Nick Parfitt and Adam Hutchinson and Tweed stars Nat Barnes, Andrew Maroney and James Wood.

Titans sevens captain Matt Pow will line-up alongside fellow Tweed teammates Tim McCann, Chris Enahoro, Matt Austin and Josh Vaughn while Josh Blatch and Kale Burton make up the remaining Burleigh contingent.

Ipswich prop Joel Reithmuller, and former Norths halfback Isaac Kaufmann also travel.

Burleigh junior Matt Francis is a bolter, as are fellow Gold Coast Teen Titans Tyson Lofipo (Ipswich) and Josh Costello (Ipswich).

Murray Emmerson's move back to Burleigh has been rewarded after playing Jersey Flegg for the Bulldogs last season.

DeeGan
10-02-07, 09:17 AM
From www.smh.com.au

Titans rebel Turner to weather storm

STORM officials have no worries about Steve Turner playing against the new Gold Coast club he turned his back on in next week's historic trial at Coffs Harbour and believe the bitter saga has made him mentally tougher.

Turner was allowed to re-join his Melbourne teammates for training when the long-running dispute was finally resolved only three weeks ago but is set to be named in a near-full-strength side to play the Titans on February 17.

As Gold Coast's first outing, the match was always going to command more attention than usual, but Turner's appearance will shine the spotlight even brighter, as he was supposed to be one of the NRL newcomers' star recruits.

After reneging on the three-year deal, he faced the prospect of sitting on the sidelines until an agreement was eventually struck enabling him to stay in Melbourne in exchange for boom rookies Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac.

Even Turner's family became caught up in the tug of war and concerns were expressed about his mental state. But Storm football manager Dean Lance said the grand-final winger was now back to his usual self and might be even stronger for the experience.

"Since he's come back he seems to have a bit of a spring in his step and, if anything, I think he may be a bit refreshed," Lance said. "Everything that happened made his off-season a mentally tough thing to get through, but he's done that ? he's probably mentally stronger for the experience."

Determined that he would stay in Melbourne, Turner refused to attend Titans training but worked on his own. Lance said the Storm had developed a conditioning program for Turner, and the coaching staff were satisfied with his fitness.

"He's been training as hard as the next guy, it's just that he's been doing it on his own," Lance said.

While the Titans have named a team with few top-line players for their first hit-out, Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy plans to play his best available line-up. The Storm also have a game against a group 2 Coffs Harbour regional side on Thursday night and will bring players from their Brisbane Norths and Central Coast Rip feeder teams to a four-day camp.

The feature match will be a home-coming of sorts for teenage sensation Greg Inglis, who hails from nearby Macksville on the NSW North Coast. He is expected to start at five-eighth.

Lance said forwards Michael Crocker, Ryan Hoffman and Brett White were still recovering from off-season surgery.

"At this stage I think you can say that we will be playing the best side we can and Steve Turner would be in that," he said.

Titans coach John Cartwright said Turner was no longer an issue for the Titans and he was more interested in the performances of some of the younger players at the club, including Samau.

"I'm really excited about young Smith Samau, he's only 20 years old and was stuck behind a big queue of players down there in Melbourne but he's made a big impression on everyone in the two weeks he's been here," Cartwright said. "He's got very sharp feet and is a real powerful fellow, so I look forward to seeing him play."

TITANS (squad): Richie Mathers, Chris Walker, Josh Graham, Jordan Atkins, Nathaniel Barnes, David Myles, Isaac Kaufmann, Michael Henderson, Tim McCann, Brad Meyers, Michael Hodgson, Adam Hutchison, Kris Kahler, Nick Parfitt; James Wood, Joel Reithmuller, Chris Enahoro, Andrew Maroney; Matt Austin, Murray Emmerson; Matt Francis, Tyson Lofipo, Josh Costello, Matt Pow, Josh Blatch, Kale Burton, Smith Samau, Josh Vaughn.

PROMETHEUS
11-02-07, 08:25 PM
Prop is another hotly contested position with Michael Hodgeson, Michael Henderson, Kris Kahler, Brad Meyers and utility David Myles also set to play.
David myles?
Geez,he must have bulked up considerably! :rotflmao:

Grimmace
12-02-07, 10:23 AM
Titanic opportunity for local players
Luke Turgeon
12Feb07

BURLEIGH Bears centre Jordan Atkins and Tweed Heads Seagulls winger Nathaniel Barnes are pumped up for big performances against the Storm on Saturday, as they take their first steps towards realising their National Rugby League dreams.

The two local Titans are among 20 NRL unknowns who will get a shot at impressing coach John Cartwright in the Gold Coast's first trial match at Coffs Harbour.

"It is a massive opportunity," said 23-year-old Atkins. "I am pretty fortunate just to be given a shot really.

"There are a few centres in the squad that have a bit more experience than me but there are a few of us Queensland Cup boys that have been given a shot and hopefully we can make the most of it."

The pair, who have trained in the Titans top squad for most of the pre-season, are tipped as possible bolters into the regular first-grade side.

Powerful ball runner Atkins and Barnes, a speedster and superb finisher, will need to put on a show this weekend in order to secure more trial time and challenge the likes of Jake Webster, Brett Delaney, Josh Graham and Matt Petersen for places in the inaugural backline.

But their chances have been made slightly easier since the departure of first choice wingers Brian Carney and Steve Turner.

"They have made a lot of sacrifices those guys to train with us full time and you can see the benefits that it has had on them just by looking at them," said Cartwright.

"Their body shapes have changed and they are up there with the leading bunch at training so I am really looking forward to seeing them play.

"On the training paddock they are right up to NRL standard and now it is just a confidence thing.

"We have to get them out on the field and make them believe that they're good enough to handle it."

Barnes, 24, who has been a standout for Tweed since their inception into the Queensland Cup in 2003, said he had waited a long time for a genuine shot at the NRL and wasn't about to let the opportunity slip through his fingers.

"There are blokes there my age who have already played NRL, it might have taken me a little bit longer but I feel like I am ready," he said.

"If you can play well and perform in the first trial then that should go a long way to getting more trial time, where you have to keep lifting the level of your game each week and hopefully push for one of those spots."

Cartwright said his decision to field a Queensland Cup-heavy side for the club's first match was 'not just a token gesture' to reward the players for months of tough pre-season training.

"These boys have been working really hard," said Cartwright.

"It is a huge opportunity to put themselves on notice."
Source: GC Bulletin

Queenslander
12-02-07, 08:14 PM
Storm Team from here (http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=169576#post169576)

1. Billy Slater, 2. Matt Geyer, 3. Matt King, 4. Anthony Quinn, 5. Steve Turner, 6. Greg Inglis, 7. Cooper Cronk, 8. Ian Donnelly, 9. Cameron Smith, 10. Garret Crossman, 11. Jeremy Smith, 12. Matt Rua, 13. Dallas Johnson.

Interchange:
14. Will Chambers, 15. Russell Aitken, 16. Ben Cross, 17. Jeff Lima, 18. Sam Tagataese, 19. James Aubusson.

Queenslander
12-02-07, 10:14 PM
Storm strong for Titans tussle
By Steve Jancetic
February 12, 2007

HAVING won the battle over Steve Turner's services, Melbourne Storm hopes to pile more misery on NRL newcomers Gold Coast after naming a star-studded line-up for Saturday's trial match at Coffs Harbour.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy named his strongest possible squad with only long-term injury concerns Michael Crocker, Antonio Kaufusi, Ryan Hoffman, Brett White and Adam Blair missing from his first-choice side.

Utility sensation Greg Inglis has been given first crack at the vacant No.6 jumper with Australia Tri-Nations teammates Matt King and Cameron Smith also named in the starting 13.

It's in stark contrast to the outfit Titans coach John Cartwright will send out for the club's inaugural hitout, with none of the big name signings named in his 28-man squad for the match on the NSW north coast.

Bellamy claimed he couldn't care less who ran out for the Titans - admitting he didn't even know the make-up of Gold Coast side.

"It's none of my business - he can pick who he likes,'' Bellamy said.

"At the end of the day it's a trial game and he picks a team based on what he wants to get out of the trial.

"It doesn't really matter as far as we're concerned - we're more concerned about ourselves. I haven't even seen their team.''

Cartwright is believed to be resting the likes of Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers until the club's final trial against Penrith at Carrara on March 2.

Bellamy has awarded his stars no such luxury with last year's losing grand finalists keen to hit the ground running when the competition proper kicks off with a clash against Wests Tigers at Olympic Park on March 16.

"We take our trials pretty seriously - we don't take the result seriously,'' Bellamy said.

"We just want to see what we've got here and get some combinations going - we use the trials for a purpose.

"I know a lot of other clubs save their players, they're a bit worried about injuries, but that's part of our game. The sooner we get them out there there sooner they adapt to getting knocked around.''

The match is sure to have more spice than your ordinary trial, with the two clubs involved in a bitter wrangle over the services for wing Turner, who had signed a contract with both clubs.

Turner was eventually allowed to remain in the Victorian capital but only after Storm agreed to release two other players to join the Titans.

Several other sides unveiled their sides for their opening trial matches this weekend with new Parramatta coach Michael Hagan naming Mark Riddell as skipper for his side's clash against the Sharks at Parkes on Saturday night.

First-choice halves Tim Smith and Brett Finch were not selected, with youngsters Feleti Mateo and Blake Green given a chance to show their wares in the top grade.

Rookie Canberra coach Neil Henry named a mixture of top grade and Premier League players in his side to play the North Queensland Young Guns in Rockhampton on Saturday, with halves Michael Dobson and Andrew Dunemann to play their first matches in Australia since returning from stints in the English Super League.

Meanwhile, Wests Tigers and Sydney Roosters will tomorrow unveil their line-ups for Saturday night's Foundation Cup clash at Aussie Stadium.

Most interest centres on whether Tigers coach Tim Sheens will name skipper Brett Hodgson, Paul Whatuira and Benji Marshall after their respective long-term injuries.

AAP

DIEHARD
13-02-07, 12:20 AM
Wow the Storm are fielding a strong squad.

Grimmace
13-02-07, 09:26 AM
Turner expects stormy reception
By Stuart Honeysett
February 13, 2007

MELBOURNE wing Steve Turner is bracing himself for a hostile reception when he lines up for Saturday night's trial match against Gold Coast at Coffs Harbour.

Turner was at the centre of a contract dispute between the two clubs late last season after signing with the Titans, then reneging on the deal to sign again with Storm.

The long-standing impasse was only resolved last month when Storm agreed to pay the Titans compensation and send two rookies - Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac - to the tourist strip as part of a player exchange.

"To be honest I'm not too sure what to expect but I know a lot of people have said that they can't wait to play me," Turner said yesterday.

"I dare say I will (cop some) but I'm not going to worry about what they're going to do to me or if they're going to do anything, really.

"That's part and parcel of the game, a bit of rough stuff, but hopefully that won't happen. If it does I'll have to deal with it.

"Hopefully everyone is happy with what's happened and can put things behind them and move on with the football season."

Turner said he was relieved to get the game between the two clubs out of the way in the pre-season, given that the only other time they meet will be in round 25.

Adding some spice to Saturday night's game is the fact the Titans have named Samau in their squad.

However, Turner said his former Storm teammate bears no ill-will after being traded to the Coast.

"If Smith is playing it will be a good opportunity for him to impress the Gold Coast people and I'm sure he'll be keen to play a few of the Storm boys," Turner said.

"He's a great kid and he had the opportunity to go there and he took it with both hands.

"We got on like a house on fire and he's a very quiet and humble kid. There's no tension between myself and him. We got along fine."

Turner said the off-season upheaval had affected his pre-season preparation and he had only been able to resume full training with the first-grade squad when the matter was settled.

"The first four to six weeks of it I was just training on my own and I wasn't a part of a football team," Turner said.

"It was only a couple of weeks after Christmas when the Storm came back that I started training again with them.

"It has been an interrupted pre-season for me but I've put that behind me now and I'm just concentrating on the trial on Saturday night."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has named a full-strength side that includes new recruits Anthony Quinn and Russell Aitken, former Melbourne premiership backrower Matt Rua and teenage superstar Greg Inglis at five-eighth.

There will be plenty of interest in the performance of Inglis at pivot after veteran five-eighth Scott Hill left the club to play with English Super League club Harlequins.

"Greg is just a natural talent in whatever he does and I'm sure he'll fit in fine at five-eighth," Turner said.

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has named a second string side for the Eels' opening trial match against Cronulla in Parkes on Saturday night.

Missing from the 22-man squad are halves Tim Smith and Brett Finch. Feleti Mateo was named to start the game at five-eighth alongside halfback Blake Green.

Regular first-grade hooker Mark Riddell will captain the team while prop Aaron Cannings will make his comeback from a shoulder injury which sidelined him for 2006.

Canberra has also named its team for a trial match against North Queensland Young Guns. Former Brisbane forward Neville Costigan will make his first appearance for the Raiders.

Source: The Australian

Steve
13-02-07, 10:55 AM
The great thing about the Storm fielding such a strong side is we get to see how the young lads perform against a top team.

We know how the established first graders go, but these other guys have to fill the gaps. They probably won't win, but that's not important. We'll see who's up to the pressure of the NRL.

DeeGan
13-02-07, 12:48 PM
Live scores will be updated by Queenslander on Saturday night via SMS from myself.

Casey's Angel27
13-02-07, 12:52 PM
Wow thats cool :)
Thanks DeeGan and Queenslander for keeping us members that are unable to make it to the trial updated. As i barack for both teams, would be nice to see whats happening :)

lonegull
13-02-07, 01:31 PM
cant wait thanks deegan and diehard will be waiting with wings on

Coaster
13-02-07, 09:12 PM
I find it interesting that we haven't taken this chance to get our halves on the field.

The hardest part of this season will be Princes job, and the combination with the 5/8.

I can understand the injury concept, but with a brand new team, this has to be overlooked for the chance to get game time together.

At some point we really need to throw the dice, i personally would have done it this weekend.

I'm nervous and excieted.

Queenslander
14-02-07, 09:45 AM
Titans won't seek revenge on Turner

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:37 PM

Melbourne winger Steve Turner will be a marked man when he plays in a trial against Gold Coast in Coffs Harbour on Saturday but Titans coach John Cartwright insists his players won't be seeking revenge through illegal tactics.

Turner, 22, became embroiled in a bitter contract dispute between Melbourne and the Titans last year after agreeing to terms with Gold Coast and then reneging on the deal to re-sign with the Storm.

The long-standing impasse was only resolved last month when the Storm agreed to pay the Titans compensation and send two rookies - Smith Samau and Daniel Isaac - to the Gold Coast as part of a player exchange.

"Nothing's been said (between the Titans players)," Cartwright remarked when asked if Turner could expect a hostile reception in the historic trial on Saturday night.

"The fellas here have become very close-knit and no-one likes what he did.

"The game's too professional now for anyone to be targeted but it'll be interesting to see what happens when he does get the ball.

"The players are all professional and the judiciary will come into play if anyone does anything stupid.

"Nothing stupid will be done but I suppose there'll be plenty of aggression there."

Cartwright said he had moved on from the Turner saga.

"If you sit there stewing on that, then you're forgetting something else in the preparation," he told AAP.

"He made his decision. It didn't go down very well but we've moved on."

Cartwright has enough on his plate as he prepares a youthful and inexperienced 28-man squad for the clash against a full-strength Storm outfit that includes teenage superstar Greg Inglis at five-eighth.

"Six months ago when they were sitting down watching a grand final (between Brisbane and Melbourne) they would never have thought they'd be out playing against one of the sides in there," Cartwright said about the Titans squad, mainly drawn from the Queensland Cup.

"That can often bring out the best in people."

Much of the attention will focus on Turner's reception but it'll be interesting to see how Inglis handles the five-eighth role following the departure of veteran Scott Hill to English Super League club Harlequins.

"He could play anywhere from front-row to fullback," Cartwright said about the 20-year-old Inglis.

"He's just a handful for every player, more so at five-eighth because he can get his hands on the ball a lot more often.

"He's just got to learn the intricacies of playing five-eighth. He's got all the natural skills - vision, pace, step and swerve."

The Titans will spend most of next week in Coffs Harbour preparing for their next trial after the Storm match - against Parramatta in Lismore on February 24 when Cartwright will field some of his top-shelf players.

Gold Coast v Melbourne trial squad: Richie Mathers, Chris Walker, Josh Graham, Jordan Atkins, Nathaniel Barnes, David Myles, Isaac Kaufmann, Michael Henderson, Tim McCann, Brad Meyers, Michael Hodgson, Adam Hutchison, Kris Kahler, Nick Parfitt, James Wood, Joel Reithmuller, Chris Enahoro, Andrew Maroney, Matt Austin, Murray Emmerson, Matt Francis, Tyson Lofipo, Josh Costello, Matt Pow, Josh Blatch, Kale Burton, Smith Samau, Josh Vaughn.

Source: AAP

Queenslander
14-02-07, 09:46 AM
Mathers ready to storm into NRL
By Karl deKroo
February 14, 2007

RICHIE Mathers says he can bury the Steve Turner saga with a strong performance against the man he had planned to battle for the Gold Coast fullback jersey.

Mathers will play his first competitive match in Australia, and his first back from a knee reconstruction, when he joins an inexperienced Titans squad for Saturday night's trial match against Turner's Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbour.

The English excitement machine said he was itching to play in the NRL.

"To be honest, whether Steve Turner was coming to the club or not I expected to make the fullback spot my own this season," Mathers said last night.

"I came from the UK because I wanted to play week in, week out in the toughest competition in the world.

"I could have easily stayed in a pretty secure spot in England with Leeds, but I really want to test myself in the NRL and it all starts Saturday night."

Mathers is close to returning to his peak after a knee reconstruction in June last year.

While Titans coach John Cartwright will sit out most of his big guns against Melbourne, Mathers was desperate to play.

"It has been a while since my last game. It has been a long and tough pre-season and I really wanted to start," Mathers said.

Mathers's battle with former Queensland fullback Billy Slater should be one of the features of the trial match, although Slater revealed he was unlikely to be restricted to custodian duties alone.

"Fullback is still my preferred position but I'm also looking to get a bit more involved, I guess similar to Matty Bowen with the Cowboys and how Brett Hodgson plays with the Tigers," Slater said.

"Craig (Bellamy) has been shuffling us all around a fair bit during the pre-season and I've been training at fullback, centre, five-eighth and even hooker."

Slater said Saturday night would signal a new beginning after a disappointing 2006, which was punctuated by a series of lengthy suspensions.

"I'm desperate to put all that behind me and get back to playing some good footy."

The Courier Mail

Lowdown
14-02-07, 11:41 AM
"Craig (Bellamy) has been shuffling us all around a fair bit during the pre-season and I've been training at fullback, centre, five-eighth and even hooker."

The Courier Mail

Interesting comment by Slater. I'm not surprised though. If you rock on down to a Storm training session, you will see players out of position. It seems to be a tactic used by Bellamy to get players outside their comfort zone, and over time they feel more in control, no matter what happens on the field on game day. Injuries, send offs, adjusting to the opposition tactics etc all need to have contingencies.

Also - it helps players build skills they may not necessarily have. Similar to Bennet with Lockyer and Hunt, were hunt comes into second receiver and throws a wicked flat ball usually to a winger for a try in the corner. Slater worked in a similar fashion off Scotty Hill last year and showed a wicked grubber kick behind play.

Scary thought: Ball clears ruck, into the hands of Ingis at first receiver who runs at speed towards the left wing, Slater wraps around to collect the ball from Inglis in a second man play, and now has Matt King or Steve Turner as options to (i) run (ii) pass (iii) grubber.

DIEHARD
14-02-07, 04:29 PM
I will be heading down from Brisbane to Coffs Habour on Saturday. Go the mighty Coast!

MonaroMan
14-02-07, 10:24 PM
This game will be interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Titans play their first game in the NRL. I wish I could be down at Coffs Harbour to see this one.

Poida
15-02-07, 01:05 AM
Turner to cop Titans fury

By Dean Ritchie
February 15, 2007

ANGRY Gold Coast Titans last night promised wing Steve Turner a "bit of grief" this weekend in what could be the most hostile trial match in years.

Tensions will be high when Turner lines up for Melbourne Storm at Coffs Harbour on Saturday night against the team he flatly rejected.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said Turner could look forward to "a bit of treatment".

But Storm coach Craig Bellamy fired back, saying: "It's easy for a bloke not playing to say these things."

Turner feared he would be forced to sit out the season after a public six-month stand-off with the Titans, the club that he initially agreed to join before declaring his desire to stay in Melbourne.

Turner, 22, yesterday admitted he was nervous in the lead-up to Saturday, saying: "I know there's been some talk ... they can't wait to play me. I'm not quite sure what to expect.

"I just hope whatever happens on the field stays on the field and we can all get on with life.

"I'm just extremely grateful to the Titans and Storm for getting the chance to play in the NRL this season."

But Searle said many Gold Coast fans remained bitter that Turner failed to honour his Titans contract.

The Titans boss said his players had not forgotten the drama either. "Rugby league is fairly emotional - some fans may feel the need to (taunt Turner)," Searle said.

"I'm sure Steve will expect that. The match is being played in our catchment area (Coffs Harbour) rather than at home.

"It would have been more vocal had the match been played on the Gold Coast.

"He might yet get off scot-free from the fans, but he may get a bit of treatment from our players.

"I'm sure he'll cop a bit of grief. Our boys might give Steve a bit of a razz."

Bellamy was angered by Searle's comments and questioned Gold Coast's motives.

"They can go as hard as they like," Bellamy said.

"If that's the way they want to go, so be it. It won't help their football."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said his players were ready to support Turner on the field.

"Our players will be ready to support Steve," Waldron said. "It won't worry Steve.

"He accepts it. I'm sure the Gold Coast will give him some come-uppance for choosing to stay in Melbourne."

The tug of war for Turner finally ended last month when the Titans agreed to release the player from his three-year Gold Coast deal in exchange for two junior players - Smith Samau, who will play for the Titans on Saturday night, and Daniel Isaac.

http://network.news.com.au/images/h14_dailytelegraph.gif

spikejoness
15-02-07, 08:44 AM
arial black5dark orangeb :') After purchasing Tickets for Storm V Titans on Sat 17 th. I now find that the Team Playing is more or less a Reserve side. A very poor show by Titans Management. Not a great start for me at all, I will be very wary of any other games arranged like this. Shame on you.
Already a disgruntled Fan.

Parra Petty
15-02-07, 10:25 AM
arial black5dark orangeb :') After purchasing Tickets for Storm V Titans on Sat 17 th. I now find that the Team Playing is more or less a Reserve side. A very poor show by Titans Management. Not a great start for me at all, I will be very wary of any other games arranged like this. Shame on you.

Hey spike,

Melbourne aside, you will find that most clubs playing this weekend, have named an understrength team, preferring to rest their players for the long and arduous season ahead.
I too, am driving down to Coffs, and I would love to see the likes of Prince, Campbell, Bailey etc play, but I can totally understand the risk of not naming these players.
Remember, that Coach Cartwright has still named Mathers, Walker, Graham, Myles, Henderson, Meyers, Hodgson, Kahler and Parfitt, with all those players having experienced first grade professional rugby league before.
Don't be too disheartned by the fact of lack of 'name players', but just join us in celebrating the birth of our new team.

Cheers,

Parra Petty.

P.S. - my preferred team, the Eels, have only named Riddell, Canning and Tsoulos for this weekends trial, so don't be too harsh on the Titans!:)

Queenslander
15-02-07, 05:45 PM
P.S. - my preferred team, the Eels, have only named Riddell, Canning and Tsoulos for this weekends trial, so don't be too harsh on the Titans!:)

The Eels have only named three players?!?.....is that allowed? ;)

Back on topic.

spikejoness I would not be too harsh on the Titans, many teams have named understrength sides to keep players fresh for the real competition in a couple of weeks. The Storm have not for whatever reason. Just call yourself lucky as you can see the likes of Slater, Inglis, Smith, and Cronk at the same time

Queenslander
15-02-07, 05:52 PM
Myles undaunted by Inglis challenge

Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Preparing for his first game in eight months, Gold Coast utility David Myles says he isn't concerned about marking superstar Greg Inglis in an NRL trial between the Titans and Melbourne this weekend.

Myles, 29, has the unenviable task of shutting down the sublime Inglis, who will play in the unfamiliar five-eighth role against the Titans in Coffs Harbour on Saturday.

Inglis, who scored 18 tries from 19 NRL games last year, is set to take over as Storm five-eighth following the departure of veteran Scott Hill to England.

"I don't really know much about him as a five-eighth but I know he's a very talented and skilful player," said Myles, who last played for French club Toulouse in June.

"I'm sure he'll excel anywhere he plays on the field. He's a very dangerous player.

"I think Inglis can do anything in our game, I honestly do. He's going to be one of the next superstars.

"Having him closer to the action, I think he'll pick it up (the five-eighth role) no problems but I won't be worrying about Greg Inglis as much as worrying about ourselves.

"It's our first trial match and we'll be looking to get things right for the first competition game (against St George Illawarra in Brisbane on March 18)."

Myles is one of the few players with NRL experience named in coach John Cartwright's 28-man squad for the historic trial in Coffs Harbour.

He has played for the Gold Coast Chargers, Cronulla, New Zealand Warriors and North Queensland but wants to hang up his boots as a Titan.

Being on a one-year deal only, Myles realises he needs a big 2007 season to impress Cartwright.

"I don't really want to travel anywhere else and play footy. I'm hoping I can stay here for another couple of years," he said.

"I've sort of done a full circle in the rugby league world.

"I'm looking to make this year a big one and get an extended contract."

Myles said he had made a seamless transition from playing in France - "a bit of a holiday to be honest" - to training under the tough regime of trainer Billy Johnstone, who he also worked under at the Cowboys.

"I've slipped back into the groove pretty quick because I had seven years in the NRL before I left," he pointed out.

"Coming back to Billy (Johnstone) I knew what to expect. Maybe the first couple of weeks were tough but now it feels like I haven't been away."

Myles could prove to be a valuable asset in a youthful Titans squad.

"You can't buy experience," he said.

"Some of the guys just finished school last year and I don't even remember the last time I was at school."

The Titans leave for Coffs Harbour on Friday and will spend most of next week in camp in the NSW coastal town in preparation for a February 24 trial against Parramatta in Lismore.

philstorm
15-02-07, 07:46 PM

Dont fret too much spike. If I was lucky enough to watch my team play their first game in team colours ever, i'd be over the moon!

And as Queenslander mentioned, you'll still be able to see the likes of the Dally M Medal Winner (Cameron Smith), the Halfback of the Year (Cronk) and 'The Freak' (dont really need to name who he is :p).

You're definitely in for a show - and who knows, if the Titans pull off an amazing upset against the odds (no offence intended, i'm just basing my judgement on the current lineups, you'll be able to tell people for years to come "I was there to watch the Titans win their first ever game - in amazing circumstances!"

Poida
16-02-07, 02:05 AM
Storm warns Titans stirrer

By Dave Donaghy
February 16, 2007

STEVE Turner has accused Gold Coast chief exe Michael Searle of "trying to stir the pot" as Melbourne Storm hooker Cameron Smith dared the Titans to target his teammate in tomorrow's trial.

Turner last night shrugged off Searle's warning that the Titans would target him in Coffs Harbour as retribution for turning his back on the NRL's newest franchise.

"He's trying to stir the pot, but I'm not listening too much to what they've said," Turner said.

Smith said the Storm players would stand up for their teammate and had promised to make the Titans' debut miserable.

Star Titans recruits Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers will be missing from the club's historic first appearance.

http://network.news.com.au/images/h14_thecouriermail.gif

jenny
17-02-07, 08:10 AM
History in the making: Titanic day as new boys take the field
Luke Turgeon
17Feb07

THE Gold Coast Titans will create history in Coffs Harbour tonight, when the fledgling franchise earns its wings as a National Rugby League side.

The Titans will clash with the Melbourne Storm at BCU International Stadium, kicking off a new chapter in Gold Coast rugby league.

"It is a historic day and a day that lots of people have worked really hard for," said Titans managing director Michael Searle.

"There is Carty (John Cartwright) out in front with the players but there have also been lots of people behind the scenes over many years.

"So I am just as happy for them as I am for the players."

The Titans will field a side made up mostly of NRL unknowns for the match, which acts as the club's first pre-season trial.

Just a handful of the full-time squad have been named in the side, as Cartwright works towards finalising his top squad for 2007.

Last year's grand finalists Melbourne on the other hand, have named their strongest side possible for the encounter, with Dally M player of the year Cameron Smith leading out a star-studded line-up.

"It is the first game of the Titans representing the Gold Coast, so it is a big day and we are treating it that way as well," said Cartwright.

"The players are very nervous, not only do they have the occasion to deal with they also have to deal with the fact that they are playing a very strong side. But it is a great opportunity for them.

"We needed as a coaching staff to see these guys at this level.

"They have trained for it the whole pre-season and they are really looking forward to it."

The Titans will play another trial against Parramatta in Lismore next Saturday before their Gold Coast debut at Carrara in their final trial match against Penrith on March 2.

"We have to look at the bigger picture here," said Cartwright.

"This is our first game but we have to be ready for St George in round one (March 18), that is the main crux of these trials.

"It is a big moment for the guys who have worked so hard to get us here and our fans but we have got to look at the big picture and the big picture requires that we are going to see these guys in a tough situation."

Searle said he could remember like it was yesterday the first time the bid team met almost a decade ago to set the wheels in motion to enter the NRL, after the Gold Coast Chargers were squeezed out of top level rugby league in 1998.

"It was March 15, 1999, so we are just one month short of eight years," he said.

"For us it is about being competitive and that is something we have always strived for.

"I am over the moon to give so many guys an opportunity to show themselves at this level and I think a few of them will surprise."

Despite staring down the barrel of a loss in their first outing, Cartwright said the benefits of trialling so much emerging talent outweighed the probability they will be down on the scoreboard when the full-time siren sounds.

"I expect they are going to throw everything at us," said Cartwright.

"They have picked their best side and to tell the truth I probably didn't expect it.

"But he (Storm coach Craig Bellamy) is doing things for a reason and so are we.

"We are probably going to get a lot more out of the trial than they will but time will tell."

Source..Gold Coast Bulletin

jenny
17-02-07, 08:30 AM
Turner: I'm not listening
Friday, February 16, 2007

MELBOURNE Storm fullback Steve Turner has accused Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle of "trying to stir the pot" before tomorrow's trial in Coffs Harbour.

Turner shrugged off Searle's warning the Titans would gun for him as retribution for turning his back on the NRL's newest club.

Searle said Turner should expect a "bit of treatment" after his decision to remain in Melbourne, despite agreeing to a three-year-deal with the Gold Coast.

But Turner yesterday turned the blowtorch back on Searle by laughing off his comments.

"He's trying to stir the pot, but I'm not listening too much to what they've said," Turner said.

"If they're worried about it, let it be. I know we're worrying about the game of footy and not worrying about the niggles or targeting players."

The trial has progressed from a meaningless pre-season hit-out to a hostile game, despite Gold Coast naming a second-string side.

Star Titans recruits Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers will miss the club's first match.

Instead, barely a handful of first-graders will combine with a host of Queensland Cup players and Gold Coast juniors, prompting Storm hooker Cameron Smith to label the opposition a "state league" team.

Smith said the Storm got a "giggle" out of Searle's comments and warned the Titans against chasing Turner.

"I had a bit of a giggle to myself, which I think most of the boys did," Smith said.

"(Searle) has got a right to say what he thinks . . . but I'm pretty sure once we get to the game, if their team wants to think about getting Steve, then they're going to have some problems handling everyone else in the team.

"We get told every week that we don't want to target one player because every team has a lot of quality players. Once you do that, you find yourself in trouble in other areas.

"I think the coach said that it's pretty funny (Searle's) saying that when he's not even on the park.

"It doesn't really bother me what he says. Most of the blokes that are playing against Steve weren't going to have anything to do with him. They're in their state league team. It's not going to change the way we play or approach the game at all."

Turner, who is battling a debilitating foot injury, will line up against either former Queensland State-of-Origin flyer and Storm teammate Chris Walker or Nathaniel Barnes in tomorrow's trial.

Turner revealed last night he had been forced to wear compression socks while sleeping and miss a training session a week to ensure his availability for back-to-back games.

He hobbles dramatically after training and games after suffering the injury during a trial in Cairns two years ago.

Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said she had previously only witnessed the injury in motorbike accident victims.
Source....Storm Website

~Wild Child~
17-02-07, 11:27 AM
Turner: I'm not listening
Friday, February 16, 2007

MELBOURNE Storm fullback Steve Turner has accused Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle of "trying to stir the pot" before tomorrow's trial in Coffs Harbour.

Turner shrugged off Searle's warning the Titans would gun for him as retribution for turning his back on the NRL's newest club.

Searle said Turner should expect a "bit of treatment" after his decision to remain in Melbourne, despite agreeing to a three-year-deal with the Gold Coast.

But Turner yesterday turned the blowtorch back on Searle by laughing off his comments.

"If they're worried about it, let it be. I know we're worrying about the game of footy and not worrying about the niggles or targeting players."

The trial has progressed from a meaningless pre-season hit-out to a hostile game, despite Gold Coast naming a second-string side.

Star Titans recruits Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers will miss the club's first match.

Instead, barely a handful of first-graders will combine with a host of Queensland Cup players and Gold Coast juniors, prompting Storm hooker Cameron Smith to label the opposition a "state league" team.

Smith said the Storm got a "giggle" out of Searle's comments and warned the Titans against chasing Turner.

"I had a bit of a giggle to myself, which I think most of the boys did," Smith said.

"(Searle) has got a right to say what he thinks . . . but I'm pretty sure once we get to the game, if their team wants to think about getting Steve, then they're going to have some problems handling everyone else in the team.

"We get told every week that we don't want to target one player because every team has a lot of quality players. Once you do that, you find yourself in trouble in other areas.

"I think the coach said that it's pretty funny (Searle's) saying that when he's not even on the park.

"It doesn't really bother me what he says. Most of the blokes that are playing against Steve weren't going to have anything to do with him. They're in their state league team. It's not going to change the way we play or approach the game at all."

Turner, who is battling a debilitating foot injury, will line up against either former Queensland State-of-Origin flyer and Storm teammate Chris Walker or Nathaniel Barnes in tomorrow's trial.

Turner revealed last night he had been forced to wear compression socks while sleeping and miss a training session a week to ensure his availability for back-to-back games.

He hobbles dramatically after training and games after suffering the injury during a trial in Cairns two years ago.

Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said she had previously only witnessed the injury in motorbike accident victims.
Source....Storm Website

Oh...I thought Turners foot injury was caused from....Foot In Mouth Disease :ok:
Go The Titans :win:

Poida
17-02-07, 12:24 PM
Oh...I thought Turners foot injury was caused from....Foot In Mouth Disease :ok:
Hehehehe good one.
Despite the fact I dont mind Turner I hope Titans win.

Steve Dangerous
17-02-07, 12:32 PM

haha Z!NG

can't believe the titans onfield legacy kicks off today.

~Wild Child~
17-02-07, 02:00 PM
Watch this pace

Dave Donaghy

February 17, 2007 12:00am

Article from: http://www.news.com.au/images/sources/h14_heraldsun.gif (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/?from=ni_story)

MELBOURNE Storm halfback Cooper Cronk believes new halves partner Greg Inglis will dominate the NRL this season after flying under the radar in the build-up to tonight's historic trial match against Gold Coast at Coffs Harbour.

Inglis this week avoided most of the hoopla surrounding his switch to five-eighth as Storm players and Gold Coast officials traded public barbs over Steve Turner.

Turner is a contentious issue between the clubs after the 22-year-old turned his back on a three-year-deal with the Titans to remain in Melbourne.

The continued bickering has been a blessing for Inglis, 20, who has been able to concentrate on adapting to his new role while avoiding the fanfare.

Cronk, who shifted permanently to halfback at the start of last season, said his combination with Inglis had developed much faster than expected.

But he warned Inglis needed to learn how the halves work in unison with tough hooker Cameron Smith and electric fullback Billy Slater to be a stand-out success.

"Teaching Greggy and Bill how me and Cam (Smith) operate is not something new, but it's a bit different for Greggy," Cronk said.

"We thought it was going to be a lot harder but we're definitely a lot further down the track than I thought we would be.

"With Greggy, not much affects that kid, he can do anything one night and sleep all day the next and he won't miss a beat. He's a good kid and I'm glad he's on my side."

Inglis, who grew up in the Coffs region, yesterday said he was relaxed heading into the encounter.

Storm finalised its preparations at Coffs Harbour International Stadium last night with Turner narrowly avoiding an awkward meeting with Titans chief executive Michael Searle.

Turner had claimed Searle was trying to "stir the pot" with comments earlier in the week that Turner should expect a "bit of treatment" in the trial.

Gold Coast utility Mat Rogers said it was ridiculous to think the Titans would target Turner.

"To think that we're going to disrupt our pre-season by focusing a game on one bloke to try and get some revenge is ridiculous," Rogers said.

Dallas Johnson will lead Melbourne's 19-man squad tonight, getting his first taste of the captaincy since being promoted to Storm's five-man leadership group.

Young gun Israel Falou suffered a broken nose in Thursday night's lopsided trial between a Storm reserve grade outfit and a Group 2 representative side. Storm won 68-4.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21238680-14823,00.html

~Wild Child~
17-02-07, 02:03 PM
Myles ready for Inglis

AAP

February 16, 2007 12:00am

Article from: http://www.news.com.au/images/sources/h14_heraldsun.gif (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/?from=ni_story)

GOLD Coast utility David Myles says he isn't concerned about marking Melbourne Storm star Greg Inglis in an NRL trial this weekend.

Preparing for his first game in eight months, Myles has the unenviable task of shutting down Inglis, who will play in the unfamiliar five-eighth role when Storm plays the Titans in Coffs Harbour tomorrow. Inglis, who scored 18 tries from 19 games last year, is set to take over as five-eighth following the departure of veteran Scott Hill to England.

"I don't really know much about him as a five-eighth but I know he's a very talented and skilful player," said Myles, who last played for French club Toulouse in June.

"I'm sure he'll excel anywhere he plays on the field. He's a very dangerous player.

"I think Inglis can do anything in our game, I honestly do. He's going to be one of the next superstars.

"Having him closer to the action, I think he'll pick it up (the five-eighth role) no problems but I won't be worrying about Greg Inglis as much as worrying about ourselves.

"It's our first trial match and we'll be looking to get things right for the first competition game (against St George Illawarra in Brisbane on March 18)."

Myles, 29, is one of the few players with NRL experience named in coach John Cartwright's 28-man squad for the trial.

He has played for the Gold Coast Chargers, Cronulla, New Zealand Warriors and North Queensland but wants to hang up his boots as a Titan.

Being on a one-year deal only, Myles realises he needs a big 2007 season to impress Cartwright.

"I don't really want to travel anywhere else and play footy. I'm hoping I can stay here for another couple of years," he said. "I've sort of done a full circle in the rugby league world.

"I'm looking to make this year a big one and get an extended contract."

The Titans leave for Coffs Harbour today and will spend most of next week in camp in the town in preparation for a February 24 trial against Parramatta in Lismore.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21233652-14823,00.html

dee13
17-02-07, 04:10 PM
Carty is a smart man selecting this team. He virtually knows who his season run on squad is. Don't forget that this is a trial game, they aren't playing for sheep stations. Trial games are where you need to find your future talent. He will be watching these young guys for the "What ifs" during the season. What if Preston or Bails gets injured. Where does he look to... The kids who have trained hard, performed well in the trial games and have maintained good form in the QLD Cup.

Don't worry, if you are down there, Im sure Princey, Preston, Bails and the other top name guys will be there watching nervously because one of these kids may produce something special.

All the best
Dee13

Smithy
17-02-07, 06:07 PM
Spike, I wonder have you ever played or had much to do with Rugby League before? Trial matches are just that. A trial of your new and current players to give them a chance to show there attributes on the feild plus get some game time. Different teams look for different things from trials. Craig Bellamy from the Storm said that they would be playing a strong team and agreed that teams look for different things from trials. When the season gets a bit closer, you will see some of the more recognised players take the feild.

patskE
17-02-07, 07:33 PM
if u read the news article
u would see most teams use the preseason to find new talent incase of injury's n stuff
+ u paying for charity

Queenslander
17-02-07, 07:43 PM
SCORE UPDATE

Gold Coast Titans: 0

Tries:
Goals:
Melbourne Storm: 6

Tries: Johnston
Goals: Smith

Queenslander
17-02-07, 07:50 PM
SCORE UPDATE

Gold Coast Titans: 0

Tries:
Goals:
Melbourne Storm: 12

Tries: Johnston, Quinn
Goals: Smith 2

robrabbitoh
17-02-07, 08:02 PM
12-0 hmm shame there is no tv coverage

robrabbitoh
17-02-07, 08:03 PM
where r the score updates comming from

Titanium_BD1103
17-02-07, 08:04 PM

We have DIEHARD and DeeGan at the game and they are SMSing Queenlander the scores... :)

Queenslander
17-02-07, 08:05 PM

As posted in this thread previously DeeGan is at the game and sending SMS score updates to myself.

Im pretty sure that this is the only place on the internet to get these scores :chef:

rence5678
17-02-07, 08:05 PM
it says in this thread hes posting the results through sms. deegan is in coffs harbour watching.

Titanium_BD1103
17-02-07, 08:06 PM
As posted in this thread previously DeeGan is at the game and sending SMS score updates to myself.

Im pretty sure that this is the only place on the internet to get these scores :chef:

Yep mate... and keep them coming... it's like the footy season ATM... I have my eye on here for the scores for this game, and my other eye on the Wests site for the foundation cup scores.... ah it's great to have the footy back again... :D :D

rence5678
17-02-07, 08:07 PM
where is the live scores for the foundation cup

Queenslander
17-02-07, 08:07 PM
where is the live scores for the foundation cup

http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=8547

robrabbitoh
17-02-07, 08:08 PM
coool wonder if the titans can get some plays happening

robrabbitoh
17-02-07, 08:12 PM
coool thanks i will check that out

rence5678
17-02-07, 08:13 PM
is it a big crowd down at coffs?

Queenslander
17-02-07, 08:17 PM
SCORE UPDATE

Melbourne Storm: 12

Tries: Johnson, Quin

Robbie_Dee
17-02-07, 08:19 PM
Go Walker!!!!!!!

rence5678
17-02-07, 08:19 PM
Walker Gets First Try Ever For Titans! And First Conversion!

Titanium_BD1103
17-02-07, 08:20 PM
Great work by Walker... I am sure it involved some running too knowing him and show showboating... :laugh:

But well done to Chris for scoring the first try for 2007 and the first conversion... good to have those out of the way... :)

Super Cronk
17-02-07, 08:21 PM
BOOOOOO titans.

;)

robrabbitoh
hahaah and the 1st goes to walkout texas walker

rence5678
its the first try/conversion ever for the franchise but not in a proper season match!

rence5678
17-02-07, 08:23 PM
BOOOOOO titans.

;)

BOOOOO STORM!!!!

robrabbitoh
17-02-07, 08:27 PM
keep the updates comming

rence5678
17-02-07, 08:28 PM
its probably half time or somethin

Gonzalez
17-02-07, 08:50 PM
Updates?

Queenslander
17-02-07, 08:50 PM
Updates?

You don't have to ask.......If I had any I would post it ;)

Gonzalez
17-02-07, 08:53 PM
...Just in case it slipped your mind:p

Queenslander
17-02-07, 08:54 PM
SCORE UPDATE

Melbourne Storm: 16

Tries: Johnson, Quin, Tagataese

Titanium_BD1103
17-02-07, 08:56 PM
Now there's a name Tagataese.... :lol!:... anyone got anymore info on this player, I know a certain member of another forum who'd love to know more about him.... :laugh:

Queenslander
17-02-07, 08:56 PM
Will Chambers scores a great try......

SCORE UPDATE

Melbourne Storm: 20

Tries: Johnson, Quin, Tagataese, Chambers

Queenslander
17-02-07, 09:00 PM
Another try to Chambers.....DeeGan says that the Storm team is looking tired and has Inglis, Slater, Smith and Cronk still on the field.

SCORE UPDATE

Melbourne Storm: 26

Tries: Johnson, Quin, Tagataese, Chambers 2
Goals: Smith 3

lonegull
17-02-07, 09:02 PM
hopefully a late charge by the titans

Titanium_BD1103
17-02-07, 09:02 PM
Well if Chambers keeps scoring them... the Storm won't need the rest.... :laugh:

Seriously though, the Titans boys aren't the top side... but I am sure they are giving their all and I am sure everyone is happy to just see them out there... and it's only a trial remember....;)

lonegull
17-02-07, 09:04 PM
i just hope the media remeber that the titans are fielding a secong string side, you can bet some of the media will rate the titans with the old coast sides if the score line isnt close

Gonzalez
17-02-07, 09:05 PM
Lol.

Storm bringing it home.

Poida
17-02-07, 09:05 PM
Titans might score a consolation try .

Titanium_BD1103
17-02-07, 09:08 PM
Well you'd expect that Gonzalez... look at the number of top grade players the Titans have....

Richie Mathers
Chris Walker
Josh Graham
David Myles
Michael Henderson
Brad Meyers
Michael Hodgson

Look at the Storm....

Billy Slater
Matt Geyer
Matt King
Anthony Quinn
Steve Turner
Greg Inglis
Cooper Cronk
Cameron Smith
Garret Crossman
Jeremy Smith
Matt Rua
Dallas Johnson.
Russell Aitken
Ben Cross

If that side can't give it to our youngsters, even for a trial, Melbourne would have to be worried come 2007 NRL season... ;)

Gonzalez
17-02-07, 09:08 PM
Clearly.

Queenslander
17-02-07, 09:09 PM
SCORE UPDATE

Poida
17-02-07, 09:09 PM
At least they did score thats the main thing. Nothing worse then going down without getting any points.

Queenslander
17-02-07, 09:14 PM
FINAL SCORE

Coaster
17-02-07, 09:15 PM
Thats not as bad as i was fearing.

We can work with that.

Great job young Titans

Titanium_BD1103
17-02-07, 09:16 PM
Well that was a good workout for the Storm's full strength side.

The Titans shouldn't take much from this, it wasn't the full strength side and they should relish the fact that the boys got to go out there and play... and that the younger ones got some experience which could be useful later on in 2007.

It sounds like Walker had a good game, and some of the youngsters could be useful for the future... can't wait for DeeGan's match report when he gets back.

robrabbitoh
17-02-07, 09:16 PM
ouch!!!!!

Coaster
17-02-07, 09:17 PM
That storm side is the same one that put 50 on a full strengh Broncos side, Im happy with the score line to be honest

Poida
17-02-07, 09:20 PM
May not have been full strength but still they coulda scored another try at least.

Queenslander
17-02-07, 09:21 PM
That storm side is the same one that put 50 on a full strengh Broncos side, Im happy with the score line to be honest

Yep it is nothing to be sneezed at. The Titans have done well considering that this side made it to the NRL grand final last year. However there will be doubters who will jump on the "Titans are useless" bandwagon.

mb63
17-02-07, 09:27 PM
Scoreline irrelevant with both sides having a good hitout.Good to see Walker score & he looks like having a good year.

Robbie_Dee
17-02-07, 09:46 PM
The result doesn't matter...The fact that the Titans actually played a game is good enough for me! The fact that they got 6 points is a bonus!

Good job also to keep storm down to 36...considering the players they had on the field!

Queenslander
17-02-07, 10:14 PM
Storm beats Titans in maiden trial match

Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:08 PM

Melbourne recorded a 32-6 victory over Gold Coast in an historic NRL trial at Coffs Harbour, but the youthful Titans were gallant in defeat against a star-studded opposition.

The Titans' 28-man squad, drawn mainly from the Queensland Cup for the club's first-ever game, put up a brave fight against the 2006 grand finalists at a packed BCU International Stadium.

Melbourne only hit the after-burners in the final 20 minutes as the score blew out following tries to winger William Chambers, who jagged a double, back-rower Sam Tagataese and fullback Billy Slater.

Former Storm winger Chris Walker, who bagged his side's only try, hobbled off the field in the 78th minute with a suspected knee injury.

The anticipated payback against Melbourne's Steve Turner - who reneged on a three-year agreement with the Titans - failed to materialise as the 22-year-old was kept away from the thick of the action on the wing before shifting to fullback late in the game.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy kept 20-year-old superstar Greg Inglis on the sideline for a large chunk of the match making it difficult to gauge his performance in the unfamiliar five-eighth role, although the Queensland and Australian winger was dangerous out wide.

The Storm were expected to smash the Titans, who fielded a team chock-full of state league players sprinkled with a handful of NRL first graders.

Gold Coast stars Mat Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey and Preston Campbell were rested for the match but are expected to get a run against Parramatta in Lismore next weekend.

The "baby Titans" acquitted themselves well and trailed only 12-6 after an hour's play.

Melbourne jumped to a 12-0 lead after 11 minutes through converted tries to skipper Dallas Johnson and former Newcastle centre Anthony Quinn.

The Titans were solid in defence and able to repel the Storm's array of attacking weapons, including speedsters Inglis and Slater.

Walker, playing for a contract over the next three weeks, scored an opportunist 34th minute when he won a scramble for a Kaufmann grubber.

Pint-sized halfback Isaac Kaufmann was one of the best for the Titans while Johnson put in a typical tradesman-like effort for the Storm.

patskE
17-02-07, 11:56 PM
who played well n stuff?

Poida
18-02-07, 12:34 AM
Coach proud of Titans' maiden match

Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:08 PM

It's not often an NRL coach is "super proud" after his team loses 32-6, even if it is an NRL trial match.

But Gold Coast mentor John Cartwright was ecstatic with the effort of his C-grade squad, drawn mainly from the Queensland Cup, despite them suffering a 26-point defeat to a star-studded Melbourne in an historic NRL trial at Coffs Harbour on Saturday.

The Titans' bunch of part-time professional footballers, combined with a sprinkling of NRL first graders, put up a brave fight against the 2006 grand finalists at a packed BCU International Stadium.

The score only blew out in the final 20 minutes following tries to winger William Chambers, who jagged a double, back-rower Sam Tagataese and fullback Billy Slater.

"I'm super proud," said rookie coach Cartwright following the six tries to one defeat.

"These guys will go back to their Queensland Cup sides as better players and hopefully after tasting that high level wanting to taste it again."

The anticipated payback against Melbourne's Steve Turner - who reneged on a three-year agreement with the Titans - failed to materialise as the 22-year-old was kept away from the thick of the action on the wing before shifting to fullback late in the game.

Burleigh Bears player Adam Hutchison hit Turner with a bell-ringer but other than that he copped the normal treatment.

Storm superstar Greg Inglis played about 60 minutes in the unfamiliar five-eighth role but the Queensland and Australian winger mainly hung out wide where he was more dangerous.

"The challenge is directing the play more so I can be more dominant," he said.

"I'm used to running off Billy (Slater) and Cooper (Cronk).

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy had a family emergency in Brisbane and rushed off straight after the game while Turner refused to speak to the media.

Cartwright said former Storm winger Chris Walker, who bagged his side's only try, went a long way towards securing a contract with the club.

"Blokes like that are a rare breed. If there's a try on offer he'll find it," Cartwright said about Walker, who hobbled off the field late in the match after copping a knock to the knee.

Gold Coast stars Scott Prince, Luke Bailey and Preston Campbell were rested for Saturday's match but should get a run against Parramatta in Lismore next weekend.

The "baby Titans" were expected to get smashed but acquitted themselves well in defence and trailed only 12-6 after an hour's play.

It looked like it'd be a slaughter when Melbourne raced to a 12-0 lead after 11 minutes through converted tries to skipper Dallas Johnson and former Newcastle centre Anthony Quinn.

But Walker, playing for a contract over the next three weeks, scored an opportunist 34th minute try when he won a scramble for a Kaufmann grubber.

It was only in the final quarter that fitness played its part as the Storm steamrolled their courageous opponents.

patskE
18-02-07, 01:41 AM
ooo hopefulyl someone has some video footage

Steve
18-02-07, 01:35 PM
Considering the side that got fielded, that's a damn good result.

I think it shows when these blokes come through, they'll be able to hold their own when mixing it with the more experienced players.

bigjim
18-02-07, 01:36 PM
Walker's name is now set in the historic accolades of the Gold Coast Jetstar Titans as the first player to score and convert.

With all his troubles at other clubs this is an omen.
He is destined for greatness at the Titans :win:

Lowdown
18-02-07, 03:43 PM
Walker's name is now set in the historic accolades of the Gold Coast Jetstar Titans as the first player to score and convert.

With all his troubles at other clubs this is an omen.
He is destined for greatness at the Titans :win:

Or...another way of looking at it is...that it's not a good omen for the Titans...perhaps the Titans will walk out on the NRL?

Seriously though - I think you'll find that trials are not recorded in club's statistics for those sort of things. You'll have to wait until round 1 for the official stats to be recorded.

Queenslander
18-02-07, 04:47 PM
From www.titans.com.au

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans VS Melbourne Storm Trial Match

17/02/2007

It was all about opportunity last night as Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright fielded an exciting young squad against a star studded Melbourne Storm outfit at Coffs Harbours BCU international Stadium.

While last years minor premiers and grand finalists ran out comfortable 32-6 winners, it was the courage and determination of the Titans which silenced a host of critics, delighted the crowd of almost 12,000 and showcased the NRL?S newest teams wealth of rising young talent.

The Titans, made up mostly of Queensland Cup players, kept pace with their more fancied rivals for much of the match, with Melbourne only running away with the game late in the last quarter.

Melbourne started at a frantic pace, with a dropped high ball by a shell shocked Gold Coast team during the first few minutes of the encounter putting Melbourne straight on the attack. Melbourne skipper Dallas Johnson made the NRL new boys pay immediately, opening the scoring with a try next to the posts. Storm hooker Cameron Smith slotted the easy conversion, giving the visitors a 6-0 lead after just four minutes.

Melbourne was in again just nine minutes later, after a scintillating 60 metre backline movement, resulted in a try to new recruit, Anthony Quinn. Smith converted another relatively easy kick, blowing the Storm out to a 12-0 lead.

The Titans squandered a few promising opportunities early in the second quarter, with a lack of continuity and cohesion seeing them finish just short of the line on several occasions.

When the Titans did eventually click, it was Chris Walker who registered the clubs first points, diving on a crafty grubber kick from impressive rookie half, Isaac Kauffman. Walkers? conversion made it 12-6 after 35 minutes.

It wasn?t until the 59th minute that Melbourne was able to extend its lead, when an opportunist cross field bomb by Cooper Cronk, resulted in a try to Sam Tagataese. Melbourne winger Matt Geyer was unable to convert the difficult chance, leaving Melbourne 16-6 up at three quarter time.

It was during the final period that the Storm took control as their vastly experienced backline found holes in a tiring Titans defence.

Just just two minutes after the break Melbourne clicked into action, with some razzle dazzle backline interplay resulting in a try to William Chambers. Geyer missed another difficult conversion attempt, but the Storm was well and truly in control at 20-6.

Chambers crossed for his second try just three minutes later, in what was basically a carbon copy backline movement from the Storm. In a breathtaking fifty metre movement, the ball passed between six sets of hands before Chambers was able to race away to score his second. Cameron Smith was able to convert the Storms fifth try taking the score to 26-6.

Storm fullback Billy Slater capped off the night with a simple converted try in the 76th minute, blowing the score out to 32-6.

The Gold Coast Titans now meet the Parramatta Eels in Lismore next Saturday night.

Dragons
18-02-07, 05:20 PM
Well done to the Titans better than what I expected. Hope to be going to the Carrara trial against Penrith should be awesome.

Hoppy2007Dragons
18-02-07, 05:29 PM
From what ive read and heard, the young titans showed plenty of fight and this is a great credit to all the work done behind the scenes in preperation of this historic match. Well Done to all involved and the future for the titans is bright.

kioli
18-02-07, 06:46 PM
Any pics guys?

dee13
18-02-07, 06:51 PM
Well done baby Titans, This is a great result, better than what most people expected against 11 of the 2006 Grandfinalists. Our boys have done us proud.

Chris Walker, I have said it before, this guy will be an asset to our club. If everything off field stays in check, this guy could be a state of origin player again. I love the way he plays the game with attitude.

Now for Parramatta next week, Im going out on a limb and calling it our first WIN. With the top play makers in, we will be hard to beat.

Parra Petty
18-02-07, 07:33 PM
Hey all,

I was there with Deegan, and I got a few pics. I can post a few now, but they were mainly of shots prior to the match ( I had to complete a match report so I couldn't get any pics during the game, sorry), but I am having a few re-sizing isues at the moment.

I was really impressed with both the kicking game and organisational skills of Isaac Kauffman - I was a bit concerned with our lack of depth in the halves, but I am sure young Isaac can handle the odd game. Others to impress were Dave Myles, a focussed Chris Walker (before he was injured) and some great dummy half work from Matt Pow.

Don't be too concerned with the lopsided scoreline, as with twenty minutes to go, it was only 16-6. We blew a few certain try scoring oppurtunities (mainly down Deegans end of the field - how did you see it mate) through poor passing and bad communication - have to expect this with so many players running on and off.

The best thing to come out of the match for me, was our defence. Having Carty and Gilly as Coaches has obviously galvanised our team into a top defensive unit, and except for a few late tries against our tiring youngsters, the boys acquitted themselves extremely well against the more experienced Storm.

I am in a dilemna for next week though - do I back the team I have supported since 1985 (the mighty blue and golds) or do I back the new boys??

Going on both sides trial form though, I am guessing the Eels may just take this one - we only had Faa'oso, Cannings and Riddell playing from our top squad, and we still beat a far more powerful looking Cronulla side, 36-14.

Here's a few shots, with more to follow when I fix some tech. issues.

http://www.league.net.au/titans-vs-storm-trial/

Cheers,

Parra Petty

Robbie_Dee
18-02-07, 08:12 PM
I saw the highlights on the news, and just thought it is worth a mention that the jersey's out there looked magnificent!!! They looked so professional! The numbers on the back looked perfect as well!

Lowdown
18-02-07, 08:22 PM
I saw the highlights on the news, and just thought it is worth a mention that the jersey's out there looked magnificent!!! They looked so professional! The numbers on the back looked perfect as well!

Agree - jerseys are very very impressive.

I have a feeling that the Eels will be too tough.

TITAN PETE
18-02-07, 09:43 PM
I went down to Coffs & as i was about to check in at the Hotel Michael Searle walked out the lifts & made a B line to us as we were wearing our Titans colours , he came & said hello shook hands introduced himself (was not required) said thanks for coming down (also not required) & this guy who is in charge of our new club spent a good 10 minutes chatting about the nights match ahead & he could'nt get the smile of his face as he said "OUR WAIT IS OVER" , he is a champion bloke & deserves any accolades he receives for pulling the group of guys together that will make this club GREAT.

I think there was a lot of good that came from the match after a rocky start with the Storm scoring in the 1st minute the score could've been 60 + but those young guys stood proud & proved the Titans will NEVER be considered an easy 2 points to any oposition !
Defence wins matches & after 60 minutes we were only behind by 6 when you consider the Storms strike power i beleive it was a huge effort by a lot of guys that would have only seen most of these players on a TV :!: .

On the plus side i beleive there was a couple of players that Carty will find hard to leave out of the starting 13 in Walker & Richie Mathers i think they played excellent especially Walker who played as well as he ever has with quite a few big shots on Ingliss & Turner, Mathers reminds me a lot of Patton as he looks quite similar to the General & he has a great running style.

Of the youger guys i thought there was 2 guys who stood out as future stars but i don't know 1 of the names he was wearing the no5 jersey & he played on the right wing in the 1st half, very fast & excellent defense, the other was a deadset future "SUPERSTAR" in Smith Samau, he played the 2nd half in parts at 5/8 & he has brilliant speed & hits like a truck i think Bellamy will be sorry he was swapped for Turner as i'm glad this guy is wearing our jersey :D !

Luke
18-02-07, 10:16 PM
the other was a deadset future "SUPERSTAR" in Smith Samau, he played the 2nd half in parts at 5/8 & he has brilliant speed & hits like a truck i think Bellamy will be sorry he was swapped for Turner as i'm glad this guy is wearing our jersey :D !

Samau will be a star if he can stay injury free. he has a good conbination of speed and strength which is great.

As for the trial...

Theres nothing to be upset about it was a reserve grade side against a team that won the minor premiership.

The Titans did good considering that this is the first time all these players have played a proper match together.

Parra Petty
18-02-07, 10:39 PM
I went down to Coffs & as i was about to check in at the Hotel Michael Searle walked out the lifts & made a B line to us as we were wearing our Titans colours , he came & said hello shook hands introduced himself (was not required) said thanks for coming down (also not required) & this guy who is in charge of our new club spent a good 10 minutes chatting about the nights match ahead & he could'nt get the smile of his face as he said "OUR WAIT IS OVER" , he is a champion bloke & deserves any accolades he receives for pulling the group of guys together that will make this club GREAT.

I think there was a lot of good that came from the match after a rocky start with the Storm scoring in the 1st minute the score could've been 60 + but those young guys stood proud & proved the Titans will NEVER be considered an easy 2 points to any oposition !
Defence wins matches & after 60 minutes we were only behind by 6 when you consider the Storms strike power i beleive it was a huge effort by a lot of guys that would have only seen most of these players on a TV :!: .

On the plus side i beleive there was a couple of players that Carty will find hard to leave out of the starting 13 in Walker & Richie Mathers i think they played excellent especially Walker who played as well as he ever has with quite a few big shots on Ingliss & Turner, Mathers reminds me a lot of Patton as he looks quite similar to the General & he has a great running style.

Of the youger guys i thought there was 2 guys who stood out as future stars but i don't know 1 of the names he was wearing the no5 jersey & he played on the right wing in the 1st half, very fast & excellent defense, the other was a deadset future "SUPERSTAR" in Smith Samau, he played the 2nd half in parts at 5/8 & he has brilliant speed & hits like a truck i think Bellamy will be sorry he was swapped for Turner as i'm glad this guy is wearing our jersey :D !

The number 5 was Nat Barnes - I have had a big wrap on him for a while now, and I beleive he will start on wing outside Matt Rogers.

Just my thoughts,

Parra Petty.

P.S. - Along with Smith Samau, another youngster that impressed me was Matt Pow - very nippy out of dummy half when he got the chance, and pretty solid in defence.

DeeGan
19-02-07, 10:24 AM
The day was a long one though as soon as the boys run on to the field, it was well worth it. My team had arrived and it was a feeling that will only be matched by the feeling I get when we are Suncorp Stadium chasing our first ever two points.

How was the game?

The boys did themselves proud and more than matched it with the more fancied Storm first grade side - we trailed only 12-6 at half time and I was over the moon. It could have been uglier given before the game, seeing the Storm talent on hand, I feared the worst. The final scoreline gives the impression the game was lopsided - this was not the case.

I hear Craig Bellamy is rethinking his trial strategy for the next game and will likely play some of his more fancied stars again this week given they didn't get the job done. Again, it's only a trial, though Bellamy must have wanted more from the likes of Slater, Cronk, Inglis and co.

I won't nominate any one or two players for the Titans - I think all who took the field really made the most of this opportunity. The boys showed we have some depth on hand in the event we suffer crippling injuries this season - I think there is a handful of guys there from Saturday night that could excel in first grade if given the opportunity.

A night to remember most certainly - those who missed out missed the chance to be part of history. Let's hope we see more Titans fans over the coming two trials and at Suncorp ;)

JasonE
19-02-07, 04:48 PM

Thats good to hear about Mathers, having had a couple of knee reconstructions myself i could imagine he would've felt very nervous in his first game back.
Once his confidence returns he should produce the goods for the Titans.

Queenslander
19-02-07, 10:21 PM
Titans no easybeats

By Josh Massoud

February 19, 2007 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

ALBEIT brave on debut, the Gold Coast Titans still had to face the music on Saturday night.

As the aqua trailblazers walked from Coffs Harbour's BCU Stadium after losing 32-6 to Melbourne, an unjust soundtrack accompanied their march back to the sheds.

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5392356,00.jpg

Blaring out from the speakers was The Foundations' hit song, Build Me Up Buttercup.

"Why do you build me up, build me up . . . just to let me down and mess me around?"

Granted, the Steve Turner saga meant this otherwise momentous occasion was built up higher than the Surfers Paradise skyline. Kickoff even had to be delayed as a ground-record 12,000 crowd rolled in to witness history.

But the only ones feeling let down afterwards were Melbourne, whose powerful side led by just a converted try with a quarter remaining.

Turner, equally, was routinely messed around by a motley crew of rookies and outcasts seething over the fact he rejected an opportunity they are now vying for.

Yet ? as it has with the Gold Coast's previous three incarnations ? history will show the latest version began with a sound loss.

Despite that, coach John Cartwright slept soundly.

"I'm very happy ? to hang in there for 60 minutes was very pleasing considering the strength of the opposition," he said.

Criticised for not playing his aces, Cartwright used the "carrot of playing in the club's first-ever match" to inspire hopefuls during the off-season.

The strategy paid off in spades, and dealt a wildcard in unheralded second-rower Adam Hutchison who thumped Turner on the winger's first hit-up.

A mixture of old and new, 28-year-old Hutchison thought his NRL career was over after two games when the Chargers folded in 1998.

Like the entire club and many of his teammates on Saturday night, captain David Myles included, he is chasing a second coming on the holiday strip.

It was a chance the electrician linesman spoke passionately about during a meeting at the team hotel the previous night, his words touching seasoned listeners like Luke Bailey and Scott Prince.

"I just told the boys how lucky we were to be part of the first-ever team," Hutchison said. Of the Storm winger who reneged on that opportunity, he added: "I think the blokes themselves are pretty filthy.

"It was not something we had to talk about ? everyone just knew.

"There's a lot of guys in our position that have not got the start he threw away."

But aside from Hutchison's big tackle, the fired-up Titans had few chances to exact revenge as Turner saw little ball.

"He probably didn't get involved as much as we would have liked," Myles quipped. Turner refused interviews afterwards.

The Daily Telegraph

Lowdown
20-02-07, 01:45 PM
Wow...with articles this pro-titans (or perhaps anti-storm)...imagine the coverage you'll get when you win a game!!!

qld power
20-02-07, 05:35 PM
anyone got and decent pics of this game

PROMETHEUS
20-02-07, 09:20 PM
Wow...with articles this pro-titans (or perhaps anti-storm)...imagine the coverage you'll get when you win a game!!!
You sound bitter that someone would actually write something positive about the titans second string side..