PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Players press for goalkicking rights

Queenslander
08-02-07, 09:13 AM
Kickalong for Titans

Steve Ricketts in Grafton
February 07, 2007 11:00pm
Article from: The Courier-Mail

THERE hasn't been a kicking tee sighted at training but Gold Coast Titans halves Scott Prince and Preston Campbell yesterday pressed their claims for the goalkicking role this year.

Prince and Campbell said they were happy to take part in a kick-off which also would involve centre Brett Delaney, rugby union recruit Mat Rogers and English import Richie Mathers.

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5382262,00.jpg

The Titans kicking job is as wide open as the battle for positions at the new club which will make its debut in a trial against the Melbourne Storm in Coffs Harbour on Saturday week.

Head coach John Cartwright is set to rest many of his high-profile players in a trial which has been billed as a grudge match because of the likely appearance of Steve Turner who reneged on a three-year deal with the Titans to stay with Melbourne.

Cartwright is likely to bring out his big guns against Parramatta in Lismore on February 24 and then field close to his best 17 for the final trial against Penrith at Carrara on March 2.

Players of the calibre of Chris Walker, Michael Henderson, Josh Graham and Michael Hodgson are set to play against Melbourne.

Campbell said yesterday he had no idea who would have the kicking job for the round 1 NRL clash with St George-Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on March 18.

"It's something that hasn't been discussed and I haven't even seen a kicking tee at training," Campbell said. "It could come down to a kick-off and I might have to sabotage some of the other blokes' tees. It's a job I'd like to have."

Prince said he was just as keen to tackle the role although he realised there were a lot of candidates.

"I'd like the job for sure," said Prince, who played second fiddle to Brett Hodgson at Wests Tigers last year, while Campbell was the No. 1 kicker at Penrith.

The Courier Mail

Parra Petty
08-02-07, 10:18 AM
Hi All,

I have kind of changed my tune on this matter. I think either Prince or Delaney should be first choice goalkicker, as I think preston is to casual with his kicking, and I would rather let Rogers settle back into league for now until handing hime the added pressure of goalkicking.

I am honestly not too sure how Mathers can kick, so I can't really pass judgement on his ability. But I would start with either Delaney or Prince.

Just my two cents,

Parra Petty

Titanium_BD1103
08-02-07, 06:43 PM
I would go with Delaney, nice strike rate and unlike Prince and Campbell, not so much pressure on him during a game.... :)

I think there are a fair few kickers though, Mat Rogers can kick as well if needed, so this department isn't one of concern for the Titans... :D