PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Lockyer says he prefers pivot

DeeGan
31-10-05, 02:45 AM
Lockyer says he prefers pivot
By Dean Ritchie in London
October 31, 2005

THE campaign to hustle Darren Lockyer back to fullback has been relentless this year but Australia's captain has bluntly ended debate about what is his best position by declaring: "I'll finish my career at five-eighth."

For three years critics have claimed Lockyer had more influence on a match at fullback rather than five-eighth.

And there are also concerns about the heavy workload Lockyer is enduring defending in the front line.

But Lockyer - readying himself for next weekend's Tri-Nations Test against Great Britain in Wigan - told The Daily Telegraph he would not be returning to fullback.

"I'm a five-eighth," Lockyer said.

"I [achieved] a lot of things in the game playing fullback.

"But I think I was destined to get back to five-eighth as I got older.

"As a kid, I was a five-eighth."

Asked would he ever return to fullback, Lockyer said: "No, I'll finish at five-eighth, for sure.

"The older you get, the smarter you get.

"A team is guided around by their halfback or five-eighth and that's where you want to be.

"A lot of these questions get asked when the team doesn't perform. And this is one of the questions that gets asked.

"From a club point of view, I don't think the Broncos would have finished any better or any higher if I was playing fullback. When people want to find reasons, they ask these questions."

Lockyer disputed his body was being pummelled playing five-eighth.

"You get used to it," he said.

Asked was it ever discussed about going back to fullback, Lockyer said: "No, never."

Lockyer and his Australian teammates trained in the west London suburb of Hammersmith on Saturday.

The team went through a number of training drills although prop Jason Ryles came off with a corked thigh.

"It was our first training run since we got here and it got the cobwebs out," said Craig Gower.

Australia travelled north yesterday afternoon to Manchester.

Bennett tomorrow will select his Test team with debate still surrounding the halfback spot.

Scott Prince is favourite to take over from injured Andrew Johns although Gower is still there fighting.

Bennett has already said Trent Barrett will not be considered as halfback and will be used off the bench as a utility player.

Lockyer said the squad was jelling strongly.

Despite what some claim to know, this is the Darren Lockyer i have heard.

Lockyer is a five-eight now, he was a great fullback, when Lockyer hangs em' up he will be one of the greatest players of all-time in both positions.

DeeGan

Queenslander
31-10-05, 10:37 AM
Not many players can achieve greatness in two positions; Lockyer can, and if this the position that he wants to finish in than good on him.

Steelers
31-10-05, 05:38 PM
If he wants to stay at 5/8 then I respect that, but I still fell he should go back to fullback.

ridgey
31-10-05, 06:50 PM
along with joey he's a genius no matter what number is on his back.