PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Preliminary Origin squad

Queenslander
24-01-07, 04:44 PM
NSW names preliminary Origin squad

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 3:34 PM

Six new faces have been included in NSW's 26-man preliminary squad for this year's State of Origin.

Minor premier Melbourne's forward-of-the-year Ryan Hoffman, Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah and St George's Dean Young and Ben Creagh were named in the squad which will attend a two-day training camp at Bondi Beach this weekend.

Anthony Tupou and Reni Maitua, who are also yet to make their NSW debuts, were also in the squad after featuring in the Kangaroos' victorious tri-nations squad.

Former Blues players Anthony Minichiello, Jason Ryles and Jamie Lyon were included after missing the 2006 series.

Eels recruit Brett Finch was included despite an indifferent 2006 season with the Roosters but faces a challenge to make the final squad with Mark Gasnier switching to five-eighth following Trent Barrett's departure from the Dragons.

Several players were unavailable for selection including Luke Bailey, Matt King and Penrith trio Craig Gower, Luke Lewis and Trent Waterhouse.

Squad: Braith Anasta, Danny Buderus, Matt Cooper, Ben Creagh, Robbie Farah, Brett Finch, Paul Gallen, Mark Gasnier, Eric Grothe, Nathan Hindmarsh, Brett Hodgson, Ryan Hoffman, Ben Hornby, Brent Kite, Jamie Lyon, Reni Maitua, Willie Mason, Anthony Minichiello, Luke O'Donnell, Mark O'Meley, Matt Orford, Andrew Ryan, Jason Ryles, Anthony Tupou, Craig Wing, Dean Young.

Unavailable: Luke Bailey, Craig Gower, Matt King, Luke Lewis, Steve Simpson, Timana Tahu, Trent Waterhouse.

Source: AAP

Future Star
24-01-07, 04:52 PM
They should of had Carney and Tonguey in it to, but who knows, Maybe they will make it come origin time.

qld power
24-01-07, 05:03 PM
hmm someones been a bit one eyed on including them 2

Future Star
24-01-07, 05:53 PM

what?

Parra Petty
24-01-07, 05:56 PM
Where's Jarred Hayne?

Eric Grothe is one of my favourite wingers, but even I must admit that Hayne out performed Guru all season in 2006.

Parra Petty

Future Star
24-01-07, 06:04 PM
Where's Jarred Hayne?

Eric Grothe is one of my favourite wingers, but even I must admit that Hayne out performed Guru all season in 2006.

Parra Petty

I agree, and Hayne was in the Aussie Sqaud, surely they can't overlook him.

Social Loafer
24-01-07, 07:32 PM
Brett Finch?? FFS this really is a farce...

Carney> Finch.. I'm sure even most non raiders supporters will agree with me.. Finch was only ever made Origin by default...

IMO Gasnier is not a 5/8, why move one of the worlds best centres to another position? Then again having him there helps the selectors not exceed their maximum quota of Canberra players...

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
24-01-07, 07:37 PM
I doubt we'll see Finchy in a sky-Blue Jersey this year, but if he is, i'll be happy cause I go for QUEEEEENSLAAAND!

Capital_Shark
24-01-07, 07:38 PM

Carney yes, Tounge no. He deserves a spot.

Anyway, that looks like a massive list of names. Unfortunately it won't be good enough, even if they fielded all 26 of 'em at once, QLD would be victorious.

All big lads for NSW, again. But certainly lacking in any decent halves. Orford goes missing in big club games, he'll probably hide under the massage table and not come out for an Origin. Braith is a lock. Gasnier is a centre. Lyon we're yet to see if he's more than a centre back at NRL standard. Finch, well, pretty bad when thats the more proven half in a premlim origin squad.

Future Star
24-01-07, 07:43 PM
Brett Finch?? FFS this really is a farce...

Carney> Finch.. I'm sure even most non raiders supporters will agree with me.. Finch was only ever made Origin by default...

IMO Gasnier is not a 5/8, why move one of the worlds best centres to another position? Then again having him there helps the selectors not exceed their maximum quota of Canberra players...

I agree, CARNEY ROCKS! AND GASNIER WILL NOT BE GOOD AS A 5/8!

Social Loafer
24-01-07, 07:58 PM
As long as Carney keeps his screwed on, he will be a chance.. If this young side can gel and perform well they will start to turn heads.

Steelers
24-01-07, 09:19 PM
Was that unavailable list just something the reporter came up with or is it official that they would have been part of the squad if fit? If so, WHY THE HELL is Trent Waterhouse in there? He has done nothing for 2-3 years.

Future Star
24-01-07, 09:20 PM
Was that unavailable list just something the reporter came up with or is it official that they would have been part of the squad if fit? If so, WHY THE HELL is Trent Waterhouse in there? He has done nothing for 2-3 years.

Trent was in the PM's XIII if im not mistaken.

Capital_Shark
24-01-07, 09:22 PM
Trent was in the PM's XIII if im not mistaken.

And Ben Hornby was picked at half back over Johnothan Thurston .. Your point?

Steelers
24-01-07, 09:30 PM

Ben Hornby was in the squad and selected as part of a rotation policy (because he was the backup halfback in the squad), Trent Waterhouse had a good season a few years back and has been making rep teams and squads ever since on that little bit of reputation he got. 2 completely different matters.....

Future Star
24-01-07, 09:31 PM

That he has done something in the past 2-3 years.

Capital_Shark
24-01-07, 09:46 PM
Ben Hornby was in the squad and selected as part of a rotation policy (because he was the backup halfback in the squad), Trent Waterhouse had a good season a few years back and has been making rep teams and squads ever since on that little bit of reputation he got. 2 completely different matters.....

My point was that just because he was selected in a team doesn't mean he's the best option. Just like Waterhouse's selection in the PM's 11 doesn't mean squat.

Future Star
24-01-07, 09:56 PM
My point was that just because he was selected in a team doesn't mean he's the best option. Just like Waterhouse's selection in the PM's 11 doesn't mean squat.

It should've been Tonguey!

kylie
25-01-07, 01:58 PM
I'm glad to see Anthony Minichiello back in the squad

Capital_Shark
25-01-07, 02:17 PM
I'm glad to see Anthony Minichiello back in the squad

Yeah. Hopefully the sky blue jumper is some consolation to the fact a Queenslander is now the owner of his Aussie number 1.

Titanium_BD1103
25-01-07, 06:23 PM
Why are you all even arguing about this squad... as has been said all morning on radio and this afternoon on Radio and TV, all this really is for is a get toegther with Murray and some players so they can get to know each other better.

No one in this squad is guaranteed a place in the starting 17, Colin Love said that this morning on Radio... Murray just wants to build team spirit... :)

Future Star
25-01-07, 07:51 PM
Why are you all even arguing about this squad... as has been said all morning on radio and this afternoon on Radio and TV, all this really is for is a get toegther with Murray and some players so they can get to know each other better.

No one in this squad is guaranteed a place in the starting 17, Colin Love said that this morning on Radio... Murray just wants to build team spirit... :)

It'll be funny if none of them make it.

Parra Petty
25-01-07, 11:34 PM
Where's Jarred Hayne?

Parra Petty

I know where Hayne is - he has been invited to the annual NRL Rookie Camp on Sunday -no need to panic, fellow Eels supporters!

Parra Petty

Titanium_BD1103
25-01-07, 11:40 PM
I know where Hayne is - he has been invited to the annual NRL Rookie Camp on Sunday -no need to panic, fellow Eels supporters!

Parra Petty

Yeah Dennis 'the Emporor ' Fitzgerald aka. Parramatta CEO, was on radio this morning saying something like that, but he wasn't sure... he said lots of stuff passes over his desk, but as long as it didn't affect training, he was happy to sign it... which is a nice policy I guess... LOL... :satan:

Good luck to Jarrad, I know he will for sure be up for selection for the 17 later in the season if he can continue his 2006 form... :)

kylie
28-01-07, 08:24 PM
Yeah. Hopefully the sky blue jumper is some consolation to the fact a Queenslander is now the owner of his Aussie number 1.

Well not 4 long anthony will soon get his number 1 aussie jersey back

Capital_Shark
28-01-07, 09:31 PM
So anyway I was in Bondi grabbing a latte on the weekend with a friend who was a bit down on their luck and needed a chat. I recommended they consult a grief counsellor. Turns out they were all busy. Apparantly, NSW really are in preparations for State of Origin! :rotflmao:

QUEENSLANDER 3 - ZIP BABY!

HighTitan
25-02-07, 01:45 PM
Good to see Maitua in the squad. He is my pick for an Origin standout this year ;)