PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos spooked by Ashes loss

DIEHARD
28-10-05, 02:07 PM
The Kangaroos have left for England fearing a backlash like the one Australia's cricketers suffered after losing the Ashes.

The defending Tri Nations champion Australians last lost an international series 2-0 to France in 1978, and have not lost a series to Great Britain since 1970.

But the Kangaroos trail New Zealand on for-and-against in this year's Tri Nations and head into enemy territory under attack.

The Kiwis are confident after a 10-point win and two-point loss to the Aussies already this series, while Great Britain are buoyed by their own cricketers' success and are desperate to avenge their Tri Nations final embarrassment last year.

Backrower Nathan Hindmarsh admitted on Thursday the Kangaroos' long held reputation as the No.1 team in the world was on the line and the team fears returning home without the Tri Nations trophy.

"Always, we are always fearful," said Hindmarsh. "Being the No.1 rugby league playing nation in the world there is a bit of pressure.

"But it is not the pressure of playing, it is the expectation people have got on you to win.

"It is in the back of your head, `well if we lose this we are going to cop it from the media and all points back home'.

"To be the first team to lose the trophy in a long time will be disappointing but we are going over there to win it and hopefully we will."

Hindmarsh compared the pressure on the Kangaroos to that which Australia's world No.1 cricketers carried to England earlier this year when they lost the Ashes for the first time in over a decade.

Australia's cricketers returned home to a barrage of criticism with Ricky Ponting's captaincy questioned, players scrutinised and dumped from the squad or given a last reprieve.

"It is pretty much the same, the pressure is there to keep winning and you cannot win all the time," Hindmarsh said.

Fullback Anthony Minichiello agreed, saying the Kangaroos needed to work hard to ensure Australia's sporting dynasty kept some silverware.

In the past two years, as well as the Ashes, England has stolen rugby union's World Cup from Australia's grasp and the Tri Nations trophy would complete an enviable trifecta.

"Obviously watching the cricket this year we saw how disappointed the Aussies were and we are not going to let that happen to us," said Minichiello.

"For sure there is pressure. You think you cannot keep winning all these years in a row but hopefully we can do it this year.

"We have seen in the last two games played it will be tough to win this year. It is a strong series and good for rugby league.

"We will be working hard not to see that (loss) happen. I guess we will see in a months time."

Australia's campaign has suffered a rocky start with Andrew Johns and Timana Tahu ruled out of the tour through injury after the first two Tests.

Eric Grothe joined the 25-man squad for the first time at the airport while Hindmarsh, after failing an initial fitness test and being dropped from the squad, declared himself ready for the Kangaroos first Test with Great Britain next Saturday at Wigan's JJB Stadium.

"Yeah, I am definitely putting my hand up for selection and I am going to tell (Australian coach) Wayne (Bennett) I am ready," said Hindmarsh.

"It will be hard for him to put me in there with the boys playing really well already so I am not expecting too much.

Grothe meanwhile was looking forward to meeting Bennett for the first time on the flight to London.

But he will have to join the queue of players keen to push their claims with the coach on the long haul flight.

"I haven't met Wayne yet," Grothe said. "We have got a 20-hour flight and four weeks together so it should be interesting."

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=13132

DIEHARD
28-10-05, 02:10 PM
I think the pressure on the Kangaroos must be emense. Especially on Darren Lockyer's shoulders.

Being a Kangaroo these days, especially a Kangaroo captain is like playing Russian roulette.

One day soon we will lose a series!