PDA

View Full Version : The Steve Turner Discussion Thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

philstorm
16-08-06, 01:58 AM
Did anyone else hear the whispers that Steve Turner might not join the Titans after all and stay with the Storm?

A cousin of mine down in Melbourne who is also a mad Storm fan gave me the tip. Sorry for speculating, I don't usually like spreading rumours, but I really do hope it happens for the sake of my club! :p

Doubt it would happen anyhow lol. He's been in terrific form this year and i'm sure he'll slot in well at FB next year for the Titans!

Kingytek
16-08-06, 07:14 AM
All true
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20144057-14823,00.html

lonegull
16-08-06, 07:55 AM
shocked man i am shocked what going on

Supergoose
16-08-06, 08:36 AM
Are there any more "signings" that haven't actually signed? This is a huge loss for the Titans and I hope they are busily getting their other signings to put pen to paper! Let's hope we get a great replacement for him in the top 25.

travop
16-08-06, 08:40 AM
theirs much more players in the sea ripe for the pickin

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 09:27 AM
Can we make sure that players actually sign contracts... letters of intent allow this sort of thing to occur... and if he didn't sign a contract, I guess he has every right to reneg on the deal... :(

What can you do about it though I guess, we will just have to look for another player, shame though... but we also have to make sure that players on letters of intent get signed immediately.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 09:32 AM
WTF???

Why didnt they sign him? A letter of intent is nothing! But hey its good news for the Storm....tough luck Titans, but thats a poor effort by those involved for not signing him.

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 09:35 AM
WTF???

Why didnt they sign him? A letter of intent is nothing! But hey its good news for the Storm....tough luck Titans, but thats a poor effort by those involved for not signing him.

I know Cronk, I know.... its the first mistake they have made as a club from memory, and a very very costly one... but hopefully they learn and sign everyone on letters of intent TODAY.

Queenslander
16-08-06, 09:36 AM
What is going on!!!! Silly move for the Titans not getting him to sign. Yet he is on the teams website....

http://www.titans.com.au/pages/page.php?page=108

doubt he will be on their for too much longer :nope:

Funny quote off the website in hindsight:

Steve?s comments on signing with the new club: ?The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me. I have been behind some great players at the Storm and have been appreciative for the support they have shown me but the chance to concentrate on the number 1 jersey at a brand new club is something that is too good to pass up.?

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 09:40 AM
I know Cronk, I know.... its the first mistake they have made as a club from memory, and a very very costly one... but hopefully they learn and sign everyone on letters of intent TODAY.

I just dont see the reasoning in it. The letter of intent was signed a few months ago...so why wasnt he signed in between that time?

But hey atleast the titans wont have a player who doesnt want to be there....

RIP
16-08-06, 10:18 AM
That's crap who will we sign now (Doyle, or another fullback)

mb63
16-08-06, 10:41 AM
WTF???

Agree,sloppy work by the Titans but if his heart's not in going there its better this happens now & not later.Can't believe Titans didn't get something in writing.A lesson learnt.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:45 AM
Well atleast its an easier decisions on who gets the fullback spot....lol

Darren Lockyer
16-08-06, 11:04 AM
I am not understanding any of this. I thought he signed with this

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 11:22 AM

No, he only signed a letter of intent.....the titans said they had signed him tho. Well atleast the articles did.

mb63
16-08-06, 11:30 AM
No, he only signed a letter of intent.....the titans said they had signed him tho. Well atleast the articles did.
According to the Herald Sun he didn't even sign a letter of intent.

Queenslander
16-08-06, 11:31 AM
All true
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20144057-14823,00.html

Here is the full article from the above link:

Steve turns on Titans
Karl deKroo
August 16, 2006 12:00am

IN-FORM Storm winger Steve Turner performed a stunning about-face last night, turning his back on the Gold Coast Titans to remain with Melbourne for the next three years.

Turner, 21, was unveiled in June as a key signing for the new Titans franchise which enters the NRL in 2007.

Incredibly, the former junior Kangaroos representative was never asked to sign a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast and he has had a change of heart.

"Steve came to us a few weeks ago and told us that he desperately wanted to stay," Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said last night.

"We subsequently found out he hadn't signed any agreement and as a consequence of that we offered him a new three-year deal which was accepted today.

"We have spoken to the NRL about it and given no contract had been registered, there shouldn't be a problem."

The decision is set to spark outrage on the Gold Coast, but Turner said he was hopeful the Titans would understand his position.

"Over the past few weeks I have got itchy feet and I realised I didn't want to go," Turner said.

"I have spoken it over with my girlfriend, Kate, and she didn't want to go either.

"I had a chat to them (the Titans) yesterday and told them my reasons.

"From there I've left it with my manager. I know they won't be happy, but I just hope they can understand my decision. I really wish them all the best for 2007."

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle could not be contacted last night.

Waldron said he could understand the Titans' position, but said they had only themselves to blame.

"If he had signed a contract, then it wouldn't be an option," Waldron said.

"But the kid came to us and we see that as a great endorsement of what we are trying to build at this club.

"We were in a similar position when we thought we had signed (Parramatta prop) Fuifui Moimoi a year ago.

"We thought he was coming here but there was a problem with his manager. It became clear he wanted to stay with Parramatta and we decided it was fair and reasonable."

A Penrith junior, Turner was signed by Storm in 2003 as a replacement for foundation fullback Robbie Ross.

He battled injury in his first two seasons and Billy Slater and Greg Inglis surpassed him in the fullbacks' pecking order.

Used this season as a winger, Turner has proven a sensation, starting all 21 games and scoring 13 tries.

"I feel like I am playing the best footy of my career," Turner said.

"I have probably adapted to the wing better than most people expected.

"I am really enjoying playing out there and I realise that playing fullback isn't my priority any more."

The Titans have signed Storm hooker Nathan Friend and centre Jake Webster for next season. Turner had been expected to be their first-choice fullback ahead of British rep player Richie Mathers.

The Hearld Sun

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 11:31 AM

I am trying to get a grasp of it myself.... from what I am reading, a letter of intent is a non-official agreement between two groups over a certain issue. It seems numerous people sign letters of intent in Rugby League, Adam Mogg did for Les Catalans, Wendell Sailor did when he first joined the ARU.

It sounds like they are signed when the offer is confirmed, but there are finalisations that need to take place, however normally it seems clubs sign the contracts soon after as a Letter of Intent is NOT A CONTRACT and has no binding power what so ever.

mb63
16-08-06, 11:34 AM
I am trying to get a grasp of it myself.... from what I am reading, a letter of intent is a non-official agreement between two groups over a certain issue. It seems numerous people sign letters of intent in Rugby League, Adam Mogg did for Les Catalans, Wendell Sailor did when he first joined the ARU.

It sounds like they are signed when the offer is confirmed, but there are finalisations that need to take place, however normally it seems clubs sign the contracts soon after as a Letter of Intent is NOT A CONTRACT and has no binding power what so ever.
As mentioned above the Herald Sun suggests no letter of intent was signed.

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 11:36 AM
As mentioned above the Herald Sun suggests no letter of intent was signed.

Ah ok, sorry I read the article this morning in the Telegraph where it talks about a Letter of Intent... if there was no letter of intent signed, that is even more of a mistake.

There is a need to sign players to something to ensure they have some liability to a club if they decided to leave the club after agreeing to play for a club IMO.

lonegull
16-08-06, 11:51 AM
i still cant believe it what a blunder i hope the rest of the 24 is signed we need to find out the truth maybe Deegan can enlighten us

maroon man
16-08-06, 12:27 PM
I simply cannot believe it!!

Someone at the Titans needs to be held accountable for this monumental stuff-up. If they think it is OK to recruit players in a professional game without stitching them up on paper, they must be from another world.
As a previous thread asked....how many more of these unsigned arrangements exist?

It simply smacks of an unprofessional approach and there had better be good learnings from it.

Crushers
16-08-06, 12:33 PM
This happens every year- Shane Elford, now Steve Turner.

While there is no denying Turner's talent, I think we are better off without a player who can't stick with a decision. Mark my words, he will come to regret this one day. We can always replace him with Nick Parfitt.

But that's a wonder blunder by the management.

Grimmace
16-08-06, 02:29 PM
Titans fume over Turner contract dispute
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:54 PM

Melbourne is "tickled pink" Steve Turner has re-signed with the NRL competition leader but the Gold Coast Titans are furious after hailing the in-form winger as a key buy for the new franchise.

The Titans trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal on June 19 but the 21-year-old had a change of heart and re-signed with the Storm until the end of 2009.

Melbourne football manager Peter O'Sullivan said Turner had never signed a contract or letter of intent with the Titans, who claim the former Penrith player has broken an agreement to join the club.

"Steve came to us on his own accord and said he hadn't signed anything (with the Titans) and wanted to stay at Melbourne," O'Sullivan told AAP.

"We were only too happy to keep him."

Titans managing director Michael Searle was to meet with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to plead his case.

"It's come to light overnight that Steve Turner may have entered into an agreement to play the next three years with the Storm," Searle told reporters on the Gold Coast.

"That's contrary to the agreement that he has with our organisation and whilst deeply disappointing, we intend to resolve this matter in coming days.

"What I want to reaffirm is that there's no doubt Steve Turner made a commitment to this organisation to play football here for the next three years and we'll be working with the National Rugby League to ensure our rights are protected.

"Other than that we'll be making further comment tomorrow and we'll be putting out a release tomorrow. At this stage that's all I can say."

The contractual dispute overshadowed the announcement that Gold Coast business ABC Brick Sales will be the club's sleeve sponsor for the next three years.

Stuck behind Queensland Origin stars Billy Slater and Greg Inglis as a fullback at the Storm, Turner has found a new lease of life on the wing where he's scored 10 tries from 19 games this season.

"We're thrilled to bits," O'Sullivan said about Turner re-signing with the high-flying club. "We never wanted to lose him in the first place.

"We're tickled pink to have him on board again. He's a great person and he wants to be part of our organisation.

"He's playing on the wing and he can see himself playing rep footy there."

Source: AAP

Lennox Titan
16-08-06, 02:37 PM
I simply cannot believe it!!

Someone at the Titans needs to be held accountable for this monumental stuff-up.

It may be best to hold back a bit until the whole story is out ;) . So far we have the News Ltd/Storm version. I doubt it is as one sided as they are saying.

On the bright side maybe it will leave the door open for a young academy player to impress.

Queenslander
16-08-06, 02:40 PM
Titans managing director Michael Searle was to meet with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to plead his case.

"It's come to light overnight that Steve Turner may have entered into an agreement to play the next three years with the Storm," Searle told reporters on the Gold Coast.

"That's contrary to the agreement that he has with our organisation and whilst deeply disappointing, we intend to resolve this matter in coming days.

"What I want to reaffirm is that there's no doubt Steve Turner made a commitment to this organisation to play football here for the next three years and we'll be working with the National Rugby League to ensure our rights are protected.

"Other than that we'll be making further comment tomorrow and we'll be putting out a release tomorrow. At this stage that's all I can say."

I hope this doesnt turn into a court battle. :nope: That is something this club doesnt need coming into their first season.

DeeGan
16-08-06, 02:51 PM
See this link: http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4977

Cheers,

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 02:55 PM
I hope this doesnt turn into a court battle. :nope: That is something this club doesnt need coming into their first season.

I hope not either... its the last thing the team needs after all the very strong and great work done so far... but something tells me, if what is being said by the media is true, then there is no chance of winning on legal grounds... On Macquarie News Network at 2pm when I was outside they said that the contract was a verbal one.

Now if that is true, it ain't good, but something tells me considering the latest info into this from the Titans, I suggest something is missing from the media statements... just doesn't add up to a media person like me to issue something like the release without there being more to the story... stay tuned... ;)

Eel 33
16-08-06, 02:56 PM
MMMMMMMMMM. Read that this morning in the Daily Telegraph. Will wait for the outcome before passing judgement.

Eel 33
16-08-06, 02:58 PM
On Macquarie News Network at 2pm when I was outside they said that the contract was a verbal one. ;)

This will make a few ppl wonder, if at all, how many contracts with players are "verbal?" Hopefully there's no more for the clubs sake.

Grimmace
16-08-06, 03:21 PM
I think the titans should just let him stay there imagine a player coming to club who doesnt want to be there it doesnt look good but if they want the player then they are in their right to pursue but IMO you ould get the worst our of him

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 03:39 PM
if as suprised as anyone.

but surely it's dirty work by melbourne to pull the shifty and sign him without seeking confirmation from the titans over his current status. if he did have a change of heart surely talking to us first would have been the sensible move rather than signing him behind our backs. now we've just got a mess on our hands.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 03:44 PM
if as suprised as anyone.

but surely it's dirty work by melbourne to pull the shifty and sign him without seeking confirmation from the titans over his current status. if he did have a change of heart surely talking to us first would have been the sensible move rather than signing him behind our backs. now we've just got a mess on our hands.

If you read the articles...it says that Turner went to the Storm...The storm havent done anything dirty here...they were approached by Steve Turner and Turner said he wanted to stay...so storm re-signed him.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 03:47 PM
but they were well aware there had been argreements in place with the titans. they should have at least seeked to clarify the position. i mean if a player comes to you who you for all money thought was taken next year then surely you'd look into it.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 03:49 PM
but they were well aware there had been argreements in place with the titans. they should have at least seeked to clarify the position. i mean if a player comes to you who you for all money thought was taken next year then surely you'd look into it.

Well..in a way yes...but if a player comes to you and says "i havent signed a contract OR a letter of intent" then the club is free to sign the player is he not?

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 03:50 PM
i mean this is from a press release back when he 'signed':

Melbourne Storm's Steve Turner is the latest Titans' recruit, signing a two-year deal with the fledgling club. The 21 year olds' decision to move was based on his goal of making a name for himself as a fulltime fullback.

Turner said, "The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me. I have been behind some great players at the Storm and have been appreciative for the support they have shown me but the chance to concentrate on the number 1 jersey at a brand new club is something that is too good to pass up."

So surely to snap him up on a deal without checking with the titans what's going on is dodgy-dealing.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 03:51 PM
i mean this is from a press release back when he 'signed':

So surely to snap him up on a deal without checking with the titans what's going on is dodgy-dealing.

No the article says he has signed....but apprently he didnt sign ANYTHING.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 03:52 PM
Well every article from back then says he has signed. As far as the Storm knew he had signed. So AT THE VERY LEAST, they should have checked with the Titans to see what actually existed and what arrangements had been made. Because you don't just go annoucing players have signed without some sort of an agreement, one would think it's just common courtesy to at least check where a player stands.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 03:54 PM
Well every article from back then says he has signed. As far as the Storm knew he had signed. So AT THE VERY LEAST, they should have checked with the Titans to see what actually existed and what arrangements had been made. Because you don't just go annoucing players have signed without some sort of an agreement, one would think it's just common courtesy to at least check where a player stands.

You think the Storm club just sits around reading newspaper articles all day? Newspaper's are wrong all the time....Turner said he didnt sign anything....i think he would know if he had signed a contract. They obviously believe him.

mb63
16-08-06, 03:58 PM
You think the Storm club just sits around reading newspaper articles all day? Newspaper's are wrong all the time....Turner said he didnt sign anything....i think he would know if he had signed a contract. They obviously believe him.
Yep,I would think Searle realises that Turner isn't coming to Titans but now he is trying to minimise the embarrassment of not getting anything in writing.Titans shouldn't be concerned as Turner is obviously happy in Melb so his heart would not be in a move to Titans.Better they know now.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 04:15 PM

The fact that we have two clubs claiming to have him on their roster for next season tells us that things weren't handled as they should have. To me it seems they rushed to sign him without clarifying where he legally stood, which seems unprofessional and has landed us in this mess.

philstorm
16-08-06, 04:16 PM
I don't know if you remember Cronk, but it's a bit like the Fui Fui Moi Moi situation for the Storm a year back.

We thought he had signed with us only to have him change his mind later on in the year.

Anyway, i'm stoked that he's staying with us at the Storm! :)

philstorm
16-08-06, 04:18 PM
The fact that we have two clubs claiming to have him on their roster for next season tells us that things weren't handled as they should have. To me it seems they rushed to sign him without clarifying where he legally stood, which seems unprofessional and has landed us in this mess.

Not really. When a player says that he hasn't signed a contract or a letter of intent, you're going to go against his word?

If you read the initial article about signing Steve Turner, Michael Searle went so far as to thank the Storm management for letting Steve sign with them in a professional manner. The Storm didn't interfere with anything, they just satisfied a player on their roster who wanted to stay at the club.

W.I.L.T
16-08-06, 04:20 PM
Hi guys,
does this mean that Mathers will go straight to fullback? Or will they look at other fullbacks that are up for grabs?

I believe Nathan Blacklock is currently unsigned.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 04:24 PM
Hi guys,
does this mean that Mathers will go straight to fullback? Or will they look at other fullbacks that are up for grabs?

I believe Nathan Blacklock is currently unsigned.

I'd say we'd slot Mathers right into the spot.

Unsure who else is still available, but Blacklock is surely getting a bit older these days? Certainly past his peak, while Mathers & Turner (and most of the Titans) seem to be approaching their best in the future.

philstorm
16-08-06, 04:27 PM

Unsure who else is still available, but Blacklock is surely getting a bit older these days? Certainly past his peak, while Mathers & Turner (and most of the Titans) seem to be approaching their best in the future.

?

Isn't Turner staying with us at the Storm mate?

It'd be interesting if the Titans picked up Blacklock because i'm sure a player of his calibre and experience would slot in nicely up at the Gold Coast!

W.I.L.T
16-08-06, 04:27 PM

True, but I thought maybe the experience of Blacklock might bring something to the club and give Mathers a few rounds on the wing to see how he goes in the NRL. If he goes well shift him to fullback and put Blacklock wing, if he is no good then drop him and bring in Peterson if 100% neccessary.

Twixx
16-08-06, 04:28 PM
:nope: I don't believe it, Steve Turner was one of our best, it seems unfair.
Down at melebourne they'll have quinn, slater, king, inglis, geyer and now turner. If I was Turner I'd stay with the Titans and not be overshadowed by those big names.
But on the bright side of things it looks like richie mathers will have an opportunity in the number 1 jersey.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 04:32 PM
?

Isn't Turner staying with us at the Storm mate?

I think we should wait until the outcome of this:

The Gold Coast Titans are presently meeting with the NRL in relation to recent comments regarding the position of Melbourne Storm Fullback Steve Turner for the 2007 National Rugby League season.

We wish to advise our fans and supporters an agreement is in place between the Titans and the player and we ask that you remain patient as we work through this issue with the NRL

No doubt we'll know for sure exactly what's going on in another day or two. At the moment we have two clubs claiming him, so it makes sense for us to wait and see what actually happens.

philstorm
16-08-06, 04:34 PM
I think we should wait until the outcome of this:

No doubt we'll know for sure exactly what's going on in another day or two. At the moment we have two clubs claiming him, so it makes sense for us to wait and see what actually happens.

Oh ok fair enough ofcourse. What do you think might be the outcome Steve? Could we have a possible situation where Searle takes the Storm to court and demands that Steve plays for the Titans? Or will he (rather ironically), do "A Storm" and concede that the player wont be coming (see Fui Fui Moi Moi incident last year).

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 04:37 PM
I'm not really sure. All we know is from newspaper articles, and if they were correct then we wouldn't be in this mess. :laugh:

I very highly doubt any sort of legal action, that would be a bit silly. But if Turner has made agreements then one would hope he would honour them. Hopefully something can be worked out, cos i can't help feeling a bit 'cheated' at the moment. But really, i only know as much as you. Find out soon, i guess.

DeeGan
16-08-06, 04:57 PM
The last thing the Titans will want to do is take the matter to court. If there is no signature on a contract and the player does not want to be part of the team - we don't want him as far as I am concerned. At the moment there is a lot of 'hearsay' being thrown around.

More details will be released soon.

philstorm
16-08-06, 05:05 PM
Please don't consider me bitter or anything by saying this, because i'm truly not sounding to be, but seeing how Turner went so far as to say,

"I have spoken it over with my girlfriend, Kate, and she didn't want to go either.

"I had a chat to them (the Titans) yesterday and told them my reasons.

"From there I've left it with my manager. I know they won't be happy, but I just hope they can understand my decision. I really wish them all the best for 2007."

I don't really think the Titans, as DeeGan said, would want a player who isn't 100% committed to them. That's been the motto at the Storm for a while now and it's been pretty good from what we've seen.

I'm sure the Titans will now tap into their abundant young talent list and scoop up another youngster as good as Turner for the wing spot! :purdy:

philstorm
16-08-06, 05:08 PM
David Gallop just released a statement siding with the Titans. While a letter of intent or a contract wasn't sided, I quote his words as reported, "That isn't necessary to constitute a legally binding contract".

Huge developments, but again, something like this will only do the Titans cause some damage I feel?

Argh i'm so confused :lol!:

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 05:09 PM
That then raises the question why negotiate with the titans to begin with. What changes in two months?

Although as deegan says, it's mostly speculation at this stage. It'll all become 'final' soon.

The other question then becomes who else we look at to fill the void should he stay in melbourne.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 05:11 PM
That then raises the question why negotiate with the titans to begin with. What changes in two months?

Although as deegan says, it's mostly speculation at this stage. It'll all become 'final' soon.

The other question then becomes who else we look at to fill the void should he stay in melbourne.

Well apprently fullback was his preferred position back then..but now he has warmed to the wing spot.

philstorm
16-08-06, 05:12 PM

I reckon it's women power mate. We saw Manukafoa opt to stay with the Rabbitohs because "His girlfriend is a friend of Asotasi's girlfriend and she convinced Manaese to stay".

In this instance, I think Steve's Melbourne based girlfriend wanted him to stay as well.

Grimmace
16-08-06, 05:31 PM
If turner dont go to the titans mabye they should look at bott

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
16-08-06, 05:34 PM
Interesting news but i'll look on the bright side and say that Richie Mathers will probably develop into a great fullback.

Social Loafer
16-08-06, 05:54 PM
At the end of a day there is no point holding a player at a club againts there own will, it only has negative effects on your team and also eats up valuable cap space.

Just Another Member
16-08-06, 06:01 PM
so how much of the cap would that free up for another winger/utility back?

Darren Lockyer
16-08-06, 06:56 PM
NRL supports Titans' fight over Turner
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 6:51 PM

The National Rugby League has sided with Gold Coast in a bitter tug-of-war between Melbourne and the Titans over in-form winger Steve Turner.

The NRL will refuse to register the Storm's contract with Turner, despite the 21-year-old re-signing with the competition leader for another three years.

Titans managing director Michael Searle met with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to plead his case after the fledgling club trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal on June 19.

But Turner had a change of heart and re-signed with the Storm until the end of 2009, infuriating Gold Coast officials who claim he had broken a "partly written, partly verbal" agreement with the franchise.

Turner admitted he had told the Titans he would play for them next season, but he had never signed a contract nor any pre-contract agreement.

"There was no letter of intent signed and when my manager (David Riolo) came to me with the contract, I said `look, I want to stay here with the Storm' and he said we'd see what we could do.

"My goal is to be a Storm player for 2007 and years to come."

Gallop said the NRL would review the documentation from the Titans but he was satisfied the club had struck a legally binding agreement with Turner.

"Our preliminary view is that a deal was struck between the player and the Titans," said Gallop, adding he had received an email from Riolo supporting the Gold Coast's case.

"We would in that situation support the Titans in securing the player.

"Everyone must accept that a deal is a deal once made and can't be ignored unless both parties agree."

It is understood the Storm offered Turner an extra $100,000 to stay in Melbourne after initially saying they couldn't fit him under the salary cap.

Searle said Turner had made frequent references to joining the Titans in the media and had spent two days in June looking for property on the Gold Coast.

"Yesterday morning the kid was on national radio saying how much he was looking forward to playing with the Titans and playing fullback," Searle noted.

The Storm - involved in a similar dispute over Parramatta prop Fuifui Moimoi two years ago - said it would fight to the hilt to ensure Turner's new contract with the club was declared legal.

Melbourne's position is that according to NRL rules, clubs have 10 days after a contract is entered into to lodge the paperwork - and the Titans had not done so.

"I'd like to think commonsense would prevail - I certainly wouldn't want to have an employee in my business who didn't want to be there," Waldron said.

"The reality is he's a signed Melbourne Storm player. The contract has been lodged within the rules.

"We have it documented between us and Steve that we have a three-year deal, and we'll push forward and support that 100 per cent."

Searle said there would be no hard feelings against Turner, whom he believes was pressured into re-signing with the Storm.

"This hasn't diminished our position on him," Searle said. "He's a 21-year-old kid that's obviously been easily influenced."

The contractual dispute overshadowed an announcement that Gold Coast business ABC Brick Sales will be the club's sleeve sponsor for the next three years.

Source: AAP

philstorm
16-08-06, 07:06 PM
Pressured into re-signing? What rubbish. He decided to stay after witnessing the great streak/culture the club is slowly developing. I love how journalists throw in remarks like "He was offered an extra $100,000 to stay at the Storm".

He's now contracted to the Storm and as far as I see it (i'm probably wrong lol), the NRL and the Titans don't have a leg to stand on considering that his signature was required on paper to be legally binding. I spoke to a mate of mine who is a lawyer and he said that was the only way for it to be binding in sporting codes?

The NRL shouldn't get involved! :dizzy:

Edit: Can I just say, where was the NRL during the Moi Moi saga for the Storm? ...

Darren Lockyer
16-08-06, 07:07 PM
Pressured into re-signing? What rubbish. He decided to stay after witnessing the great streak/culture the club is slowly developing. I love how journalists throw in remarks like "He was offered an extra $100,000 to stay at the Storm".

He's now contracted to the Storm and as far as I see it (i'm probably wrong lol), the NRL and the Titans don't have a leg to stand on considering that his signature was required on paper to be legally binding. I spoke to a mate of mine who is a lawyer and he said that was the only way for it to be binding in sporting codes?

The NRL shouldn't get involved! :dizzy:
They should get involved because with out them both teams wouldn't go any where

philstorm
16-08-06, 07:11 PM

I suppose so mate, but the NRL technically doesn't have the right to make any decision and i'm sure the Storm would take it to the courts if necessary. I don't see how there can be any arguement when Turner never actually signed on the dotted line?! ... :peace:

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 07:13 PM

What does everybody think of Michael Crockett from the Tigers or Tame Tupou (not sure whether he has re-signed with Bronco's or not)? Two possible replacements for Turner.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 07:14 PM
I suppose so mate, but the NRL technically doesn't have the right to make any decision and i'm sure the Storm would take it to the courts if necessary. I don't see how there can be any arguement when Turner never actually signed on the dotted line?! ... :peace:

Well the NRL can actually refuse to register Turners contract with the Storm.

The NRL seems to think that a verbal agreement is legally binding...which i find extremely hard to believe! hopefully the Titans dont take it to the court room and just leave it as it is...move on and use another youngster.

philstorm
16-08-06, 07:16 PM

The NRL seems to think that a verbal agreement is legally binding...which i find extremely hard to believe! hopefully the Titans dont take it to the court room and just leave it as it is...move on and use another youngster.

They'd set an enormous precedent by doing that SC, so i'm not sure if they'd do that!

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 07:17 PM
They'd set an enormous precedent by doing that SC, so i'm not sure if they'd do that!

Another David Riolo stuffup! What a goose!

philstorm
16-08-06, 07:18 PM
Another David Riolo stuffup! What a goose!

What did he do before Manly? Don't tell me Ruben Wiki is one of his!

Grimmace
16-08-06, 07:20 PM
How can a verbal contract be biniding seriously why do the GC want him if his heart is set on staying with the storm its like spending money and getting the worst out of them and when his contract is up chances are he will leave. I think its in the best interest of the GC if they let him stay at melbourne and get a player who acutally wants to be at the club not a player who wants to be at another club

philstorm
16-08-06, 07:22 PM
How can a verbal contract be biniding seriously why do the GC want him if his heart is set on staying with the storm its like spending money and getting the worst out of them and when his contract is up chances are he will leave. I think its in the best interest of the GC if they let him stay at melbourne and get a player who acutally wants to be at the club not a player who wants to be at another club

I think the impression i'm getting grimmace is that Mr Searle wants to preserve the reputation of the club by at least attempting to protect the contractual rights of his club.

In all seriousness, if Turner does go, I feel as you say, his heart really wont be in it.

That said, after reading so much into this over the past few days, i'll be crushed if he leaves us again! :(

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 07:22 PM
What did he do before Manly? Don't tell me Ruben Wiki is one of his!
He's just very money hungry. He did the same thing with Frank Pritchard with Manly. They agreed to terms (same as Turner) and obviously as it wasn't June 30 yet they (Manly) couldn't announce it. Pritchard never wanted to go to Manly, it was Riolo acting as a driving force trying to pursway him. Been told by a few blokes within Penrith he's being investigated about not acting on the best interests of his clients (Pritchard). Oh and btw guys, wasn't he Fuifui Moimoi's manager as well? Cause he did the same thing a year or two ago?

philstorm
16-08-06, 07:23 PM
He's just very money hungry. He did the same thing with Frank Pritchard with Manly. They agreed to terms (same as Turner) and obviously as it wasn't June 30 yet they (Manly) couldn't announce it. Pritchard never wanted to go to Manly, it was Riolo acting as a driving force trying to pursway him. Been told by a few blokes within Penrith he's being investigated about not acting on the best interests of his clients (Pritchard). Oh and btw guys, wasn't he Fuifui Moimoi's manager as well? Cause he did the same thing a year or two ago?

You're kidding, so he WAS Fui's manager! :curse:

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 07:26 PM
Not entirely certain but I think he may have been.

Grimmace
16-08-06, 07:26 PM
You're kidding, so he WAS Fui's manager! :curse:

Yes he was but hes not anymore and now to get back on topic.

I know MR.Searle wants to prect the contracutal agreements and stuff but chances are he will turn out to be a dud sigining and the media will always says he wants a realease and meblourne are after him id rather let him stay at the storm where he wants to be not where hes got to be.

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 07:29 PM
Yes he was but hes not anymore and now to get back on topic.

I know MR.Searle wants to prect the contracutal agreements and stuff but chances are he will turn out to be a dud sigining and the media will always says he wants a realease and meblourne are after him id rather let him stay at the storm where he wants to be not where hes got to be.
Surprise Surprise! Riolo and Jim Banaghan are the two worst player managers by a mile!

Darren Lockyer
16-08-06, 08:06 PM
Is darius Boyd still on the market? If he is he would be a good replacement as they play the same type of game

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 08:13 PM
Is darius Boyd still on the market? If he is he would be a good replacement as they play the same type of game

I think he is off contract, but do we really need more fullbacks? I would have thought we would have wanted to buy specialist wingers. But yeah your right, he'd be a good signing if we could get him cheap. Does anyone know whether Tame Tupou is still off contract? I thought i read something that he re-signed with the Bronocos but I'm just not 100% sure.

Darren Lockyer
16-08-06, 08:20 PM
I think he is off contract, but do we really need more fullbacks? I would have thought we would have wanted to buy specialist wingers. But yeah your right, he'd be a good signing if we could get him cheap. Does anyone know whether Tame Tupou is still off contract? I thought i read something that he re-signed with the Bronocos but I'm just not 100% sure.
I'm not sure about Tame but if steve does go we only have 1 fullback who has had knee surgery. If we sign Boyd he could play fullback or winger which would be good

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure about Tame but if steve does go we only have 1 fullback who has had knee surgery. If we sign Boyd he could play fullback or winger which would be good
Michael Crockett would be an awesome signing from the Tigers.

patskE
16-08-06, 08:43 PM
i feel soz for quinn, he signed cause storm thought tuner was going and he had a wing spot, now he dont :S

philstorm
16-08-06, 08:51 PM
i feel soz for quinn, he signed cause storm thought tuner was going and he had a wing spot, now he dont :S

He would still?

1. Slater
2. Turner
3. King
4. Quinn
5. Geyer
6. Inglis
7. Cronk

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 09:42 PM
He would still?

1. Slater
2. Turner
3. King
4. Quinn
5. Geyer
6. Inglis
7. Cronk

Yeah...im not sure if Bellamy is prepared to throw Inglis into the 5/8 spot yet. Earlier this year Bellamy said that 5/8 would be a position he would be suited to later on down the track. Also the Storm have tried pretty hard the past few months to sign a replacement for Scotty Hill and have signed Russell Aitken to play 5/8 next year, so sadly i think someone will miss out.

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 09:54 PM

It says here it was half and half, so I guess they have some grounds to appeal...

But Turner had a change of heart and re-signed with the Storm until the end of 2009, infuriating Gold Coast officials who claim he had broken a "partly written, partly verbal" agreement with the franchise

I think the Titans are doing it to not make themselves out to be a club where contracts are honoured and loyalty exists, that has been the motto so far, loyalty and honesty, and I think this is a case of them upholding that IMO.

As for replacements, well Emelio just signed with the Bulldogs, so that is our roster done apparently for this season, I reckon you should go after Trent Cutler, he's been doing a great job for us at wing this season, but he is really a Fullback and would be a handy back-up for Mathers who could also cover depth from Five-Eighth to Fullback.... :D :D

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 09:55 PM
Storm statement re: Turner- Rleague.com

In relation to the statements made today regarding Melbourne Storm and player Steve Turner, the CEO of Melbourne Storm Brian Waldron would like to make the following points known in relation to this contract.

Waldron said in a statement:

"Steve Turner did not have a signed contract with the Titans. If he did have he would certainly never have been offered and signed a contract with Storm. We were informed of this by the NRL last Friday.

"No one is denying there may have been some arrangements in place for Steve to go to the Titans, but the fact is these arrangements were never consummated and no legal contract was ever entered into nor any letter of intent signed.

"Now, who is to blame here? The player does not at any time receive any verification of any deal with the Titans so understandably he starts to question the Titan's commitment to him. He obviously wants to do the best by himself and secure his playing future. He now admits that the idea of going to the Titans is not a good one and agrees to a new three year deal with Storm.

"If both his manager and the Titans had followed NRL rules and regulations Steve Turner would not have resigned with Melbourne Storm.

"Melbourne Storm and Steve Turner are the innocent pawns here, the player wanted to secure his career and the Storm wanted a top class back to remain on their list.

"Steven Turner and Melbourne Storm should not be penalised for adhering to the rules of the NRL.

"This is certainly not the first instance of a player having a change of heart due to the way the negotiations have been handled by either club or manager.

"We at Melbourne Storm have been on the same end of the deal that the Titans now face themselves in 2004 when Fui Fui Moi Moi chose to sign with Parramatta.

"This was after the Storm had been informed by his manager in writing that a deal had been accepted for him to join the Storm. Upon understanding this was not the case and in realising the player himself wanted to remain at Parramatta, the Storm chose to walk away.

"Melbourne Storm and Steve Turner should not be penalised for a lack of professionalism by other parties.

"We do not see this as an NRL issue, as no NRL rule or law has been tampered with or broken. This matter is strictly between the Titans, Storm, Steve Turner and his manager.

"We at the Melbourne Storm will vigorously defend our rights to conduct our business in a proper and professional manner. We will not adhere to the business principles of others."

-----

Yet again Waldron has some strong words and doesnt hold back. I fully agree with him.

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 09:57 PM
Time for Plan B ?

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 09:58 PM
Funny how everybody's suddenly a lawyer. :laugh:

If the NRL side with the titans than surely that's that? Players can't be indian givers..!

Steve Turner seemed really eager to move up here before, and i'm sure he'd love it. From a professional point of view i'm sure he would give us 100% and make a name for himself with the Titans. I'm still hopeful he'll move up here for us, it certainly seems that the NRL thinks that's the case.

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 10:01 PM

If the NRL side with the titans than surely that's that? Players can't be indian givers..!

Steve Turner seemed really eager to move up here before, and i'm sure he'd love it. From a professional point of view i'm sure he would give us 100% and make a name for himself with the Titans. I'm still hopeful he'll move up here for us, it certainly seems that the NRL thinks that's the case.

I don't want to comment any further on this until the Titans release a reply to that media release from the Storm, but it sounds like from that media release that the Titans have every opportunity to sign Turner to a full contract, but didn't... so he felt left out and re-weighed his options.

But as I said, I will wait till the GC issue a statement of reply before commenting any further, you need 2 sides of a story to make a full picture... ;)

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:02 PM

Are you a lawyer? Its common sense mate...if you dont sign a contract or letter of intent then there is no deal made. If i walked into a reality and said i want to buy that house...that doesnt mean the house is now mine...nor does it mean i am obligated to buy the house, the house is yours when you pay for it and sign contracts and yadda yadda yadda.

Read the statement by waldron that i posted above...gives the impression that Turner does not want to play at the Titans anymore.

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 10:04 PM
Read the statement by waldron that i posted above...gives the impression that Turner does not want to play at the Titans anymore.

Gives the impression the Titans weren't interested in sealing the deal with him as well though Cronk, and I am sure that is not the case, as I said, there are 2 sides to every story, lets wait for the GC response.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:06 PM
But if the NRL has stated that they won't be accepting the contract from the Storm, then what's left to ponder?

I'm definately no lawyer myself, but i can see what the NRL have decided. And I do know an Oral Contract is in most cases just as strong as a written one, and there is plenty of evidence to back up the fact they had a strong understanding.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:07 PM
Gives the impression the Titans weren't interested in sealing the deal with him as well though Cronk, and I am sure that is not the case, as I said, there are 2 sides to every story, lets wait for the GC response.

True...And the fact that the Titans basically left him hanging for two or so months shows maybe they werent intrested? But then again maybe they didnt need to rush things as they thought he was definately signing with them...

And yes i will wait for the GC response but that doesnt mean we cant discuss both sides of it ourselves ;)

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 10:08 PM
What was management thinking? Why didn't they get him to sign a written contract in the first place? Bit wierd.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:08 PM
I think it more-so gives the impression it was a mere formality, and the agreement was well understood by both parties. The fact Turner frequently talked about moving up here leads me to believe it was a done deal, and to jump out at the eleventh hour because your team's doing well seems highly unprofessional.

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 10:09 PM
But if the NRL has stated that they won't be accepting the contract from the Storm, then what's left to ponder?

I'm definately no lawyer myself, but i can see what the NRL have decided. And I do know an Oral Contract is in most cases just as strong as a written one, and there is plenty of evidence to back up the fact they had a strong understanding.

Sorry Steve, but I'm with Cronk on this one, and I studied it for a semester... they always say when you sign a contract to anything, it should be written, in a court of law, most times verbal contract do not cut mustard...

I think we may end up in the courts with this sadly, the way things are going, unless one group conceeds the ground to the other, and that ain't looking like happening in the near future.

EDIT: Steve he didn't leave cause his team is doing well, he reneged because his girlfriend wanted to stay in Melbourne, his contract wasn't signed and apparently according to the news reports I watched earlier tonight, he didn't want to leave mates...

Similar situation to Willie Tonga and his decision to not sign then re-sign with the Bulldogs, except Willie didn't do business with another club first... ;)

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:10 PM

The NRL also told the Storm that if he hasn't signed a contract or a letter of intent then they were free to sign him.

"Steve Turner did not have a signed contract with the Titans. If he did have he would certainly never have been offered and signed a contract with Storm. We were informed of this by the NRL last Friday.

But now the NRL are saying...no if its a verbal agreement then its solid?

And how can you prove if the verbal agreement took place in some cases? I know turners manager etc have said there was some type of agreement (its all still very cloudy)...But it ultimately comes down to his word against their's.

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 10:10 PM
I think it more-so gives the impression it was a mere formality, and the agreement was well understood by both parties. The fact Turner frequently talked about moving up here leads me to believe it was a done deal, and to jump out at the eleventh hour because your team's doing well seems highly unprofessional.

So does this mean that any other NRL Club could have negotiated with him as of two days ago before he "officially" signed with Melbourne?

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:11 PM

Oh please...the Storm have been doing well ALL year! They were doing well when the Titans announced his signing.

philstorm
16-08-06, 10:13 PM
Spot on SC.

In the end, the NRL have no right to 'not accept the contract', because not only will it set a precedent (which funnily enough wasn't good enough for Fui Fui Moi Moi 2 years ago :rolleyes:).

Turner wants to stay at the Storm, the Storm want Turner, as far as I am concerned, the Gold Coast are merely trying to save face.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:15 PM
Look it's a bit silly for us to get in a legal debate over it, but we do know this:

Gallop said the NRL would review the documentation from the Titans but he was satisfied the club had struck a legally binding agreement with Turner.

Now the NRL would have lawyers involved before reaching this view, yes? Surely it seems a bit rich for us to be disagreeing with them having none of the information they would have reviewed?

This discussion has hit a bit of a brick wall it seems, but Mr Gallop seems quite clear:

"Everyone must accept that a deal is a deal once made and can't be ignored unless both parties agree."

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 10:16 PM
Even if it went to court proceedings wouldn't it just be Titans word against Storm word?

Titanium_BD1103
16-08-06, 10:17 PM
Look it's a bit silly for us to get in a legal debate over it, but we do know this:

Now the NRL would have lawyers involved before reaching this view, yes? Surely it seems a bit rich for us to be disagreeing with them having none of the information they would have reviewed?

This discussion has hit a bit of a brick wall it seems, but Mr Gallop seems quite clear:

To put it simply once again... we are headed for the courts... I don't think there is any other choice, no one is going to give the ground here... :(

Actually MT:

It would be the Titans word and whatever they did with Turner, vs the Storm and Turners Contract... unless the NRL know something we don't, which I think they do as they have laywers on the case, I think the Storm would be favourites as they have the written contract signed.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:18 PM

Mate i wouldnt have a clue about lawyers and law and all that stuff...im just using common sense and going by what the NRL have said.

The NRL have said its fine...but then done a backflip and said no its not fine...so at this point im not sure what to make of what the NRL says.

Its a legally binding verbal agreement? i just dont see how that is possible...im not smart but i just cannot get into my head how that is possible.

Manly_Titan
To put it simply once again... we are headed for the courts... I don't think there is any other choice, no one is going to give the ground here... :(
Likewise, i cant see either party budging anytime soon :evil:

philstorm

That's double standards Steve.

We saw Shane Elford last year pull out of a deal with Souths at the 12th hour. We saw, as mentioned, Fui Fui Moi Moi pull out of a deal with the Storm in similar circumstances a few years ago.

It appears that although promising Turner a shot at the Full-Back position, the Titans went and signed Riche Mathers, an International Full-Back, making Turner really wonder why he left the club he loves in the first place, when his reason for moving initially to play at full-back?

That and the issues in relation to his girlfriend might be the main concern.

philstorm
16-08-06, 10:20 PM
Likewise, i cant see either party budging anytime soon :evil:

As mentioned above, if it comes down to the word of the Storm vs the Titans in a courtroom, no court is going to hold an oral contract above a written contract.

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 10:22 PM
Would the NRL have any influence?

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:23 PM
As deegan said, going to the courts isn't really a fair option.

Hopefully they can sort something out soon.

Cronk, think of it like this. You go to an antique shop, find a big table you like the look of. Ask the guy how much it is, hagle a bit, come to a deal. The guy puts the 'sold' sign on it, you go do your shopping, come back and he's sold it to someone who offered a few quid more. BUT you'd come to a verbal agreement, therefore he can't go recanting it just for buggers sake. Most contracts in life are oral before they're written, it's only really with houses and such that it MUST be on paper to have any say.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:23 PM
Would the NRL have any influence?

If it broke the rules of the game then yes.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:24 PM
If contracts go to them for approval then i'd say they have not just a say but the final say.

philstorm
16-08-06, 10:25 PM
it's only really with houses and such that it MUST be on paper to have any say.

Houses, work contracts - both are relatively similar in my book I would have thought Steve?

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:27 PM
As deegan said, going to the courts isn't really a fair option.

Hopefully they can sort something out soon.

Cronk, think of it like this. You go to an antique shop, find a big table you like the look of. Ask the guy how much it is, hagle a bit, come to a deal. The guy puts the 'sold' sign on it, you go do your shopping, come back and he's sold it to someone who offered a few quid more. BUT you'd come to a verbal agreement, therefore he can't go recanting it just for buggers sake. Most contracts in life are oral before they're written, it's only really with houses and such that it MUST be on paper to have any say.

But thats different. In the NRL you have to have a contract signed (according to the NRL as of last Friday)...if there is no contract signed then the player can go where he pleases.

Also im not sure if this is what you were getting at but i highely doubt the storm would be paying him too much more then they already are.

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 10:29 PM
But thats different. In the NRL you have to have a contract signed (according to the NRL as of last Friday)...if there is no contract signed then the player can go where he pleases.

Also im not sure if this is what you were getting at but i highely doubt the storm would be paying him too much more then they already are.
Melbourne are saying the NRL allowed them to sign him, and then yet they're taking the Titans side for a "verbal agreement". :erm:

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:29 PM
Article says this:

It is understood the Storm offered Turner an extra $100,000 to stay in Melbourne after initially saying they couldn't fit him under the salary cap.

philstorm
16-08-06, 10:30 PM
Article says this:

Since when are we believing what unconfirmed articles say?

philstorm
16-08-06, 10:31 PM
Melbourne are saying the NRL allowed them to sign him, and then yet they're taking the Titans side for a "verbal agreement". :erm:

That's what confuses me. The NRL 'informed them on Friday' that he wasn't signed. Seeing how Turner is siding with the Storm (in regards to Waldrons statement), I really don't see him going to the Gold Coast under his own free will! :p

Steve: :yell: "You'll have to kill me first!"

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:32 PM
Article says this:

Again its what an article says. You cant believe everything they print. One newspaper says there was a letter of intent signed..the other newspaper says there was no letter of intent...and another report says that there was a half-half signed/verbal agreement.

And also with Hill now offcially gone..that frees up ALOT of salary cap...so i guess its possible that they have thrown extra cash at him...but that wouldnt be his main reason for staying.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:32 PM
It's what you guys are doing too.

Basically the only info any of us have here is via the 'papers.

Which is why i'm inclined to side with the NRL who would have reviewed things as they actually stand.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:34 PM
It's what you guys are doing too.

Basically the only info we have here is via the 'papers.

Which is why i'm inclined to side with the NRL who would have reviewed things as they actually stand.

Im going by what both clubs and NRL have said.

Turner says he did not sign anything.

Titans say there was a verbal agreement.

Storm say they asked the NRL if he was signed they said NO, so Storm signed him.

Those are the direct quotes from articles and on TV.

Sorry i dont mean direct quotes, as in they said the above word for word....but that sums up what they did say in the quotes.

Steve Dangerous
16-08-06, 10:38 PM
Well it's all getting a bit roundabout, so i suppose it's best if we wait until we get some sort of confirmation on what's happening from here. I expect the storm will make an official approach to the NRL about it, and if the NRL position stands then i see that they have no option and their contract is void.

at the moment it's you two storm fans against a titan fan (me), so it's all a bit biased from all angles. i'm headin' to bed, catch you guys tomorrow.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:43 PM
Well it's all getting a bit roundabout, so i suppose it's best if we wait until we get some sort of confirmation on what's happening from here. I expect the storm will make an official approach to the NRL about it, and if the NRL position stands then i see that they have no option and their contract is void.

at the moment it's you two storm fans against a titan fan (me), so it's all a bit biased from all angles. i'm headin' to bed, catch you guys tomorrow.

Not really against you mate...we just have different views on it, obviously because we support different teams. (BTW doesnt mean i am against the titans..i think they are a great club already and will do fantastic next year!). Guess it will add some spice to the first trial game between Titans and the Storm early next year.

mb63
16-08-06, 10:44 PM
Im going by what both clubs and NRL have said.

Turner says he did not sign anything.

Titans say there was a verbal agreement.

Storm say they asked the NRL if he was signed they said NO, so Storm signed him.

Those are the direct quotes from articles and on TV.

Sorry i dont mean direct quotes, as in they said the above word for word....but that sums up what they did say in the quotes.
Could it be Turner's manager signed something on Steve's behalf ?At this point I can't see how the NRL have sided with the Titans.What do they mean by a partly written agreement?Will the Titans try & force Turner to play there even if he doesn't want to?I guess we will learn more tommorrow.

philstorm
16-08-06, 10:46 PM

Nah mate, as SC said, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Titans and I really hope they make the Grand Final next year only to lose to the Storm! :p

But in all seriousness, there is a fair bit of bias involved between fans of these two clubs, but lets just hope that the best outcome is reached (I like sitting on the fence :emp:)

mb63
16-08-06, 10:53 PM
I just hope Turner is not wanting to stay because of the extra dollars Storm put on the table.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:55 PM
I just hope Turner is not wanting to stay because of the extra dollars Storm put on the table.

Its not like the Titans were giving him milk money.

mb63
16-08-06, 10:57 PM
Its not like the Titans were giving him milk money.
True,but it does seem Storm found some extra cash for him.I still believe he & his girlfriend are happy in Melb & he wants to keep playing for the Storm because he loves the club.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 10:58 PM
True,but it does seem Storm found some extra cash for him.I still believe he & his girlfriend are happy in Melb & he wants to keep playing for the Storm because he loves the club.

Yeah and it is most like true that the storm are paying him more....but i think his girlfriend and the club is the main reasons he is staying aswell.

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 11:00 PM

I get the same impression unfortunately. Either way, he shouldn't have agreed to deals with the Titans (even if they were verbal) in the first place if he knew he deep down wanted to stay at Melbourne. I definately think that the Richie Mathers signing definately turned him off coming here as well.

philstorm
16-08-06, 11:03 PM
I get the same impression unfortunately. Either way, he shouldn't have agreed to deals with the Titans (even if they were verbal) in the first place if he knew he deep down wanted to stay at Melbourne. I definately think that the Richie Mathers signing definately turned him off coming here as well.

It's a number of factors I reckon,

a) Mathers being signed, with Turner thinking "Why did I leave my club in the first place then?"
b) His girlfriend unhappy with the thought of moving
c) A contract not being finalized at all with the NRL, resulting in Turner worrying about his future
d) Storm doing so well this year

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 11:04 PM

He really wanted to stay with Storm but they told him they couldnt afford him. But now that Hill has left (who was on alot of money) that has freed up alot of the cap.

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 11:05 PM

a) Mathers being signed, with Turner thinking "Why did I leave my club in the first place then?"
c) A contract not being finalized at all with the NRL, resulting in Turner worrying about his future

Forget what i said...those are great reasons!

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 11:05 PM

BINGO :thumbsup:

philstorm
16-08-06, 11:07 PM
Ah well, i'm holding out to read tommorow's papers LOL.

It should be interseting to read the conflicting reports in both the Sun and SMH. :p

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 11:09 PM
Ah well, i'm holding out to read tommorow's papers LOL.

It should be interseting to read the conflicting reports in both the Sun and SMH. :p
Yeah especially with the subtle cheap shots being thrown by Melbourne and Titans management! :chinese:

DeeGan
16-08-06, 11:12 PM

Richie was signed well before Steve signed/committed to anything with the Titans ;)

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 11:15 PM
Richie was signed well before Steve signed/committed to anything with the Titans ;)
Ok so that rules out Reason A

philstorm
16-08-06, 11:18 PM

Oh good point mate!

Touche! :satan:

Manly_Titan
16-08-06, 11:21 PM
Oh good point mate!

Touche!
:fence:

Super Cronk
16-08-06, 11:23 PM
But wasnt he offered the fullback spot?

Searle said, ?I want to thank Chief Executive Brian Waldron and Coach Craig Bellamy for their approach during these negotiations. While we understand there is some disappointment at the Storm with Steve moving on I am sure there is also some excitement for his prospects of him gaining more game time in his chosen position of fullback?.

Turner said, ?The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me. I have been behind some great players at the Storm and have been appreciative for the support they have shown me but the chance to concentrate on the number 1 jersey at a brand new club is something that is too good to pass up

Titans Head Coach John Cartwright said, ?My involvement with Steve dates back to when he first made grade at the Panthers. He was 16 and playing Premier League which in itself is impressive. He was a very special talent then and it was obvious he was a player of the future and at 21 now he is looking to cement a spot at fullback after being behind Rhys Wesser , Billy Slater & Greg Inglis over the years.?

Maybe he felt that the titans hadn't actually signed him yet and was worried that his fullback spot was taken. Therefore saw no reason to leave the storm.

philstorm
16-08-06, 11:25 PM
I love the first one,

" “I want to thank Chief Executive Brian Waldron and Coach Craig Bellamy for their approach during these negotiations."

Hahahaha I bet Mr Searle never repeats those words again in his LIFE! :D

J-Storm
16-08-06, 11:31 PM
1st of all, I love Brian Waldron. Finally a guy who will say what he feels for this club! He doesn't hold back and doesn't go over the top in an arrogant way IMO. He is 1 business savvy guy...

Also I think Turner has just had a change of heart on his preferred position since it was looking like he wanted out of Melbourne. Obviously he has resigned himself to the fact that he won't be the 1st choice Fullback in Melbourne and that he is getting enough praise for his work outside Matt King to want to stay there at Wing and do what he can to help the club, all the while enjoying his time on and off the field in Melbourne...

I don't see this ending well though for one party or the other, someone will be pleased, someone won't and here is hoping that the player's opinion on all this is taken into account before it gets out of hand...

maroon man
17-08-06, 07:28 AM
When this is all over, I hope that people understand that the root cause of all this was the failure of the Titans management to do the right thing. They should have had the kid stitched up in writing by now and they should have had the agreement lodged with the NRL well before this. They gave the kid the loophole and the opportunity to "change his mind". His manager, if he had any morals, should have told him to pull his head in and honour his word.

It's a bloody bad situation in this world when you agree to something but turn around later and say that you dont have to honour your word because it wasnt in writing

The Titans said they would select the man before the player. If this is an example of Turner the man...tell him to take a walk!!!

philstorm
17-08-06, 07:43 AM
I suppose, but you can't go blaming Turners manager MM. To be honest, that is the thing i'm most suprised with, you don't usually see your manager 'siding with the other side' so to speak. Turner came out yesterday and said he wanted to stay at the Storm, but his manager says 'He's still going to the Titans?'

Something fishy is going on, I expect this will resolve itself in court as I expect, no i'll go so far and say I want to see the Storm take it that far if neccessary.

philstorm
17-08-06, 07:53 AM
I just want this all to be resolved sooner rather than later! It's pitiful by both clubs management to leave it like this.

I know I felt crap when I heard Turner was leaving us, but I don't know how to feel (it's probably the same for Titans fans), now that he might be staying/still might be going!

:(

Titanium_BD1103
17-08-06, 08:43 AM
News from 2KY Big Sports Breakfast in an interview with CEO of Gold Coast Titans, Michael Searle.

- Turner apparently on Monday was on 2KY saying how happy he was to join the Titans, but by Tuesday something had changed.

- Searle said that Turner signed a partially written, partially verbal contract.

- MOST IMPORTANTLY, 48 hrs after it was announced Turner had signed with the Titans, the Titans sent him a written contract, that contract was sent to his manager- they have been chasing it up ever since.

Something tells me there is a lot more to this story...

patskE
17-08-06, 08:46 AM
just read that gallop is going release a statement, forceing tuner to goto the titans

philstorm
17-08-06, 09:03 AM
He can't force Turner to do anything. If Turner doesn't want to go, he wont go. Sure he might be sued by the Titans, but at the end of the day it comes down to what he wants to do.

Brettymac
17-08-06, 09:24 AM
For those who question the vailidity of verbal contracts, a person can consent to a legally binding contract. In the laws on Offer and Accceptance, verbal contracts can be entered into, but you must prove 'consideration' on behalf of the promisee. To write all the documentation here would jam the website indefinitely.

Im am a fully fledged titans supporter, and as such, know all too well the edict the club has so desperately tried to forge since its inception. All the reasons for Steve Turner now wanting to stay at the Storm is hearsay, who knows what the REAL reason is except Steve Turner. But the question no longer becomes about Turner in my view, it becomes about the Titans.

Why do we want to chase him after these events ? If he's not committed, for whatever the reason, leave him be. Good player that he is, why risk recruiting a player whose attitude isnt 110%. Chasing him now would only jeopardise all the work the club has done to build a certain culture. If Turner no longer wants the coast, then Id be more than happy to reply as a club and as a city the coast no longer seeks his services - part ways and wish each other well.

Souths'n'Titans
17-08-06, 10:34 AM
Well done Titans management

mb63
17-08-06, 10:45 AM
Would like to see the Titans expand on this partially written agreement.Did it have a signature?

philstorm
17-08-06, 11:41 AM
Would like to see the Titans expand on this partially written agreement.Did it have a signature?

He only wrote his first name. :laugh:

philstorm
17-08-06, 01:42 PM
I'm just wondering, but could Steve's manager have forged his signature on the 'partially written' contract that Searle says he has?

Steve has come out and said that he has signed NOTHING, so it just brings back memories of the Moi Moi saga where Gavin Orr signed on the dotted line without informing the player that he had done so ...

Penrith Rhino
17-08-06, 01:43 PM
He can't force Turner to do anything. If Turner doesn't want to go, he wont go. Sure he might be sued by the Titans, but at the end of the day it comes down to what he wants to do.

Are you saying that he should do a Gordon Tallis - sit out the season??? I couldn't see Steve doing that, as he has only just really started to secure a regular spot in a NRL top side (at Melbourne). He (Gallop) can force Turner in NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY in the NRL, meaning he would not be able to play for Melbourne (or any other side for that matter) for the duration of the term he agreed to play for the Gold Coast for. If the NRL don't register his contract he signed with the Storm, then he won't be playing in the NRL next season. At this early stage, the only place that Steve Turner will be playing in the NRL is with the Titans. However, events and discussions over the next few days may see that change.

mb63
17-08-06, 01:52 PM
I'm just wondering, but could Steve's manager have forged his signature on the 'partially written' contract that Searle says he has?

Steve has come out and said that he has signed NOTHING, so it just brings back memories of the Moi Moi saga where Gavin Orr signed on the dotted line without informing the player that he had done so ...
Quite possible,maybe thats why Turner's manager is siding with Titans.

philstorm
17-08-06, 01:54 PM
Are you saying that he should do a Gordon Tallis - sit out the season??? I couldn't see Steve doing that, as he has only just really started to secure a regular spot in a NRL top side (at Melbourne). He (Gallop) can force Turner in NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY in the NRL, meaning he would not be able to play for Melbourne (or any other side for that matter) for the duration of the term he agreed to play for the Gold Coast for. If the NRL don't register his contract he signed with the Storm, then he won't be playing in the NRL next season. At this early stage, the only place that Steve Turner will be playing in the NRL is with the Titans. However, events and discussions over the next few days may see that change.

That wont happen. If the NRL don't approve his contract and if Turner still doesn't want to leave, then I feel pretty sure that the Titans will do the right thing and let him go.

philstorm
17-08-06, 01:55 PM
Quite possible,maybe thats why Turner's manager is siding with Titans.

Yeh that's what I was thinking mate. Damn player managers! :curse:

Titanium_BD1103
17-08-06, 05:05 PM
Well I can guarantee you who will hate each other come season 2007 and what game will bring fireworks.... GOLD COAST VS MELBOURNE... :lol!:

Yes with the response from the Storm and everything that has happened, now Searle has called the Storm bullies... enjoy the reading... ;)

Titans brand Storm 'bullies' over Turner
August 17, 2006 - 4:41PM

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle has accused Melbourne of bullying the NRL newcomers in the bitter tug-of-war over Storm winger Steve Turner.

The Titans had trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal in June but the 21-year-old this week re-signed with the Storm saying he had not signed a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast.

Titans boss Searle has branded the Storm's actions in trying to re-sign Turner for 2007 as "reprehensible" and "disrespectful" to the fledgling club.

Searle met with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to discuss the matter, which will likely be resolved by the league in the coming days.

"We feel that the efforts in the Melbourne Storm to secure Steven's services, despite the knowledge of this agreement, to be reprehensible," Searle said.

"We also think it's disrespectful to the Gold Coast Titans administration and its fans.

"If our advice had've been heeded on Tuesday when we said we had an agreement with Steve we wouldn't be in this situation.

"The Storm's tactics were bullying, they were very bullying on Tuesday, to sign an agreement with the knowledge he had already come to terms with us.

"The Gold Coast of old may have rolled over but this organisation won't.

"Subject to David Gallop's determination on the matter, Steven Turner will not be granted a release to play for the Melbourne Storm in 2007.

"He had approached us the week prior and we had, after long consideration between the coaching staff and myself, declined his request.

"The events of the past week have been greatly disappointing, not only for the Gold Coast Titans, but for rugby league fans in general."

? 2006 AAP

The Ballboys
17-08-06, 05:07 PM
I certainly hope Steve "Turncoat" Turner is forced to play for the Titans, just so Carty can leave him in reserve grade, where the dishonest, filthy dog deserves to be.

The simple fact is that when he "agreed terms" with the Titans earlier in the year he was unsure if he'd even play first grade when the Storm players all came back on board. Now he is the only player to play all games for the Storm (this year) and he know feels comfortable that he will get a start.

If he does end up staying in Melbourne, I would suggest we should look at Mick De Vere. De Vere has already mention he wants to return to Qld next year and the whisper I have heard is that De Vere and Lockyer are not on talking terms**, so this could rule out the Bronc's. Great player at Wing, Centre and FB and can also kick goals.

**Absolutely no founding for this statement, just a whisper doing the circles at Broncos games.

philstorm
17-08-06, 05:08 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Titans-brand-Storm-bullies-over-Turner/2006/08/17/1155407944762.html

Titans brand Storm 'bullies' over Turner

Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
August 17, 2006 - 4:41PM

Advertisement

Advertisement

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle has accused Melbourne of bullying the NRL newcomers in the bitter tug-of-war over Storm winger Steve Turner.

The Titans had trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal in June but the 21-year-old this week re-signed with the Storm saying he had not signed a contract or letter of intent with the Gold Coast.

Titans boss Searle has branded the Storm's actions in trying to re-sign Turner for 2007 as "reprehensible" and "disrespectful" to the fledgling club.

Searle met with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to discuss the matter, which will likely be resolved by the league in the coming days.

"We feel that the efforts in the Melbourne Storm to secure Steven's services, despite the knowledge of this agreement, to be reprehensible," Searle said.

"We also think it's disrespectful to the Gold Coast Titans administration and its fans.

"If our advice had've been heeded on Tuesday when we said we had an agreement with Steve we wouldn't be in this situation.

"The Storm's tactics were bullying, they were very bullying on Tuesday, to sign an agreement with the knowledge he had already come to terms with us.

"The Gold Coast of old may have rolled over but this organisation won't.

"Subject to David Gallop's determination on the matter, Steven Turner will not be granted a release to play for the Melbourne Storm in 2007.

"He had approached us the week prior and we had, after long consideration between the coaching staff and myself, declined his request.

"The events of the past week have been greatly disappointing, not only for the Gold Coast Titans, but for rugby league fans in general."

? 2006 AAP

That is absolute crap. I'm happy to accept that it's the responsibility of both parties to get this into shape, but for Mr Searle to come out and say this isn't very nice because it's a cheap shot on the Storm! :(

If Turner doesn't get a release then all hell will break loose ...

philstorm
17-08-06, 05:09 PM
Rubbish. He isn't a turncoat, stuff like this happens all the time. Fui Fui Moi Moi, Jackson Nicolau all 'agreed to terms' only to sign elsewhere later on.

mb63
17-08-06, 05:19 PM
Rubbish. He isn't a turncoat, stuff like this happens all the time. Fui Fui Moi Moi, Jackson Nicolau all 'agreed to terms' only to sign elsewhere later on.
Also Storm released Hill,Chan & Kidwell from their contracts which enabled them to secure more attractive deals with their new clubs.They all leave with the Storm's best wishes.Titans now have a situation where they will try & force a player to play with them even though he doesn't want to.This stance will do them more harm than good in the long term.No doubt Turner agreed to play with Titans but the fact is he doesn't want to go there now.Storm let Titans speak to Friend,Webster & Turner before June 30 so I don't think they have been unreasonable.Looks like this saga may continue for a few days yet.

mb63
17-08-06, 05:20 PM
The Storm weren't bullies when they let the Titans talk to 3 of their players before June 30.

philstorm
17-08-06, 05:22 PM
The Storm weren't bullies when they let the Titans talk to 3 of their players before June 30.

Exactly ...

Steve Dangerous
17-08-06, 05:24 PM
Perhaps we should keep Turner discussions to one thread? This article has been posted there too, and it's the same sorts of discussions that are bound to take place.

philstorm
17-08-06, 05:27 PM
Perhaps we should keep Turner discussions to one thread? This article has been posted there too, and it's the same sorts of discussions that are bound to take place.

Whoops sorry Steve, didn't see the article posted in the other thread. Perhaps you could merge these two threads?

DeeGan
17-08-06, 05:35 PM
The Titans are guilty of no wrong doing here and have every right to challenge the contract arrangement that has apparently been met by the Melbourne Storm.

Titans media release:

Titans Media Release regarding Steve Turner

Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle is confident an agreement reached with Melbourne Storm player Steve Turner will be enforced by the National Rugby League and that the 21 year old will play his part in the fledgling club?s debut NRL season in 2007.

?We believe the NRL?s interim assessment of the validity of our agreement with Steve Turner, is a vindication of the integrity, professionalism and good faith that we have displayed in these negotiations. However, we believe the Storm attempting to sign Steve Turner, after we were very clear to the Storm that we had an agreement with Steve Turner is reprehensible. It shows a lack of respect for not only the Gold Coast Titans administration but Gold Coast Titans fans as well.?

?We were very clear with the Storm?s administration before they offered him a new three year deal that we had an agreement with Steve Turner that was legally enforceable and his manager was very clear that we had an agreement but they chose to ignore that very clear advice and sign Steve Turner anyway. Their actions were arrogant and showed complete contempt for our Club?

?Subject to David Gallop making his final determination we want to unequivocally reaffirm that our club will NOT be releasing Steve Turner from his agreement. We also want to confirm he had approached our club last week about a release and after long consideration by myself and John Cartwright we decided that his request did not warrant any special consideration and we informed his management of that.?

?We have no doubt that once Steve gets to spend some time on the Gold Coast, with John Cartwright, Trevor Gillmeister and all the Titans staff that he will be very comfortable with this outcome. He will be warmly welcomed. This should send a clear message that our club truly desires to retain Steve and we think that highly enough of him that we are prepared to fight so hard to keep him. We look forward to him being in Titans colours in 2007.?

Steve Turner Time Line

Steve Turner agreed to a two year deal with the Gold Coast Titans on June 19.
During a flying visit to the Gold Coast to celebrate his signing, the 21 year old said he had based his decision to move north on his desire to make a name for himself as a fulltime fullback.

Turner said, ?The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me. I have been behind some great players at the Storm and have been appreciative for the support they have shown me but the chance to concentrate on the number 1 jersey at a brand new club is something that is too good to pass up.?

Turner said, ?The Titans have staff that I am familiar with; John (Cartwright) was my lower grade coach at the Panthers and I played with Satts (Scott Sattler) & also the chance to experience Billy Johnstone as a conditioner is very appealing. Let?s hope I can leave the Storm on the highest note possible.?

The following day the Titans had a contract couriered to Steve Turner and his management.

Monday the 14th of August 2006 The Titans were informed that Steve Turner had appeared on a Sydney Radio station where he had made it quite clear that he was looking forward to joining the Titans and setting out on a new adventure.

24 hours later Turner was paraded for the media with the Melbourne Storm CEO at his side claiming that he was now unhappy with his decision and no longer wanted to go to the Gold Coast, announcing he had instead agreed to new terms with the Storm and signed a new contract which would keep him in Melbourne until 2009.

16th August 2006, Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle presented a comprehensive file to the NRL which included Statements from Titans Head Coach John Cartwright, Football Manager Scott Sattler and the player?s agent David Riolo.

After reviewing extensive documentation provided by Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle, National Rugby League CEO David Gallop?s preliminary ruling was that an agreement was reached between the Titans and Player Steven Turner

17th August Mr Gallop stated that after reviewing the documents supplied by the Titans, he believed an agreement had been reached between the Gold Coast Club and the player, stating that he will support the Titans as they move to retain Turner on their 2007 playing roster.

Steve Dangerous
17-08-06, 05:36 PM
Threads merged and renamed 'the steve turner discussion thread' just to make things easy. :laugh:

mb63
17-08-06, 05:40 PM
So with what information we have where does everyone think Turner will be in 2007.Storm or Titans?

Social Loafer
17-08-06, 05:42 PM
?We have no doubt that once Steve gets to spend some time on the Gold Coast, with John Cartwright, Trevor Gillmeister and all the Titans staff that he will be very comfortable with this outcome. He will be warmly welcomed. This should send a clear message that our club truly desires to retain Steve and we think that highly enough of him that we are prepared to fight so hard to keep him. We look forward to him being in Titans colours in 2007.?

Well that's good to hear, it proves that the Titans won't be fighting for him just for the sake of it..
I wish another club's management had fought as hard in similar circumstances..

mb63
17-08-06, 05:47 PM
Just mentioned on channel 10 news the NRL will make a decision within the next 48 hours.

Steve Dangerous
17-08-06, 05:49 PM
No doubt Turner would have put a lot of thought into coming up here in the first place, the ideal outcome would be if he shows his class and pledges 100% to our club and the prior agreements. as the press release says, i have no doubts he'd love it up here... i'd be very pleased to see him put the whole episode behind him and commit all his energy to the titans debut cause.

and when you think about it, if he wins a premiership with the storm this year.. then moves up to the gold coast to play for an exciting club in their first season.. surely that's a position players would dream about.

Grimmace
17-08-06, 05:49 PM
Hopefully this doesnt turn into the gordon tallis episode where he robbed st.george of a GF but id rather him stay at the storm if thats where his heart is

DeeGan
17-08-06, 05:51 PM
So with what information we have where does everyone think Turner will be in 2007.Storm or Titans?

Gold Coast Titans.

Michael and co. are keen to keep him and will not rollover ... Melbourne are behind the eight ball here unfortunately and the ball is firmly in our court. Turner would be crazy to even entertain the thought of sitting out the contract (I don't think it will come to that).

I personally don't want a bar of a player not wanting to represent the team we have been longing for ... it doesn't sit well with me. Michael, Satts and Carty seem to think it will all change once Turner is up on the Coast, I will side with the brainstrust on this one and back them to retain "our guy" for 2007 to 2009.

philstorm
17-08-06, 05:52 PM
I think the Storm, being a very tight knit group, will go so far as to challenge the verdict, if against us ;), in the courts.

Grimmace
17-08-06, 05:55 PM
I think the Storm, being a very tight knit group, will go so far as to challenge the verdict, if against us ;), in the courts.

OH yippiie why dont we just take it to the jerry springer show because if this happenns it creates more negative press IMO it should be up to the player on this one butr then you set a dangerous precedent

mb63
17-08-06, 05:58 PM
Whilst there is no doubt the NRL want him to play at Titans my gutfeel is he will be at the Storm because of discrepencies in the paperwork or uncompleted paperwork.

philstorm
17-08-06, 06:00 PM
Nah he'll end up at the Titans, but i'm really annoyed all the same ...

It feels like he has gone again. :(

Darren Lockyer
17-08-06, 07:43 PM
:lol!:
OH yippiie why dont we just take it to the jerry springer show because if this happenns it creates more negative press IMO it should be up to the player on this one butr then you set a dangerous precedent
Brian Wladron vs. Michael Searle..... :lol!: I'm going with Michael Searle to get a few big hits in there

Kingytek
17-08-06, 07:50 PM
Much rather find out now that the germ doesn't want to be a part of history. I want the inaugural jersey to go to someone who truely wants to be a part of it all...

DeeGan
17-08-06, 08:21 PM
Much rather find out now that the germ doesn't want to be a part of history. I want the inaugural jersey to go to someone who truely wants to be a part of it all...

I wouldn't go as far as labelling a guy like Steve Turner a "germ" - though as I have stated, I tend to agree with Kingytek. I have waited too long for us to be back on the field and I want ALL players committed to short and long term success.

In saying that ...

Michael, Carty, Gilly and Satts believe Turner will have a change of heart once he is settled on the Coast ... again, I will back the boys up here and go with the brainstrust backing them to fight hard to keep this talented youngster.

Steve Turner I have actually met a couple of times and he is nothing but an impressive young man. He is obviously in two minds at the mind and the emotion of being apart of a dominant Melbourne team is obviously causing second thoughts here unfortunately.

Melbourne have only used Turner when injuries have arisen and the potential a lot of good judges recognised early on (starting at Penrith) is now on display and the Storm (who gave us permission to speak to Turner) are now thinking "hang on, this kid is a potential star - we were made to let him go".

I firmly believe we (Titans) have the ball in our court in this one and Turner with Melbourne have little ground to stand on at this stage.

We will see how this pans out - nothing is "cut and dried" when it comes to politics in rugby league.

philstorm
17-08-06, 08:52 PM
Mate dont say we didn't realise his potential, because that's the fundamental reason that we signed him in the first place ... :?)

RobJ
17-08-06, 09:11 PM
Given the excellent recruiting drive undertaken by the Club, do we really want someone who doesn't want to be here? Do the fans want someone that doesn't want to be here?

I understand the principle of the whole thing, but lets start with everyone looking at the same mountain, it'll be easier to climb the thing if they are.

GO THE TITANS!

mb63
17-08-06, 10:41 PM
:lol!:
Brian Wladron vs. Michael Searle..... :lol!: I'm going with Michael Searle to get a few big hits in there
Don't be surprised if Waldron gets a few in too.

Mikey
17-08-06, 11:23 PM
I wasn't going to join this forum but you Gold Coast fans need to understand a few things.

He doesn't want to join your club so why force him to against his will????

We were good to you when it came to Friend and Jake webster

Your accusing us of bullying but your the ones holding a player against his will

also the NRL shouldn't be saying who they are siding with until they speak to Waldron and get his side of the story. I know Brian and he is a very decent person and doesn't play dirty.

And also remember your club will only last a few years like every other sporting team that has come from the Gold Coast

jenny
17-08-06, 11:34 PM
I wasn't going to join this forum but you Gold Coast fans need to understand a few things.

Your accusing us of bullying but your the ones holding a player against his will

also the NRL shouldn't be saying who they are siding with until they speak to Waldron and get his side of the story. I know Brian and he is a very decent person and doesn't play dirty.

And also remember your club will only last a few years like every other sporting team that has come from the Gold Coast

We'll be just fine with him or without him! And as for lasting just a few years,
Pfft!! Last time i looked at the population growth up here, their are alot of Victorians...you can't even hold your own down their :lol!: Think what you may Sunshine!!! I'm going back to put my sunnies on ...go out and have a lobster dinner and a beer... :lol!:

Hoppy2007Dragons
17-08-06, 11:36 PM
Mickey, i hope with a attitude like that you sitck around.

I don't think this is about forcing him, he has entered a verbal, letter of intent contract with the titans, i might offer her that contracts should not be taken lightly nor laughed at.

Secondly the choice for friend and jake to leave melbourne and join the titans is their decision not melbourne,clubs don't say well u can have these two we want that fella.

My friend this isn't a hostage situation, jake is not being held against his will, he is merley being held to a contract he signed in some form( this will be cleared up at some time)

My friend do you think the melbourne storm are above the nrl and it's rules, it has most of the facts, it would understand the situation more than you or will, as they have modes of communcation amonst the involved parties.

Well time will tell my friend about your little cheap shot, also i don't see how this opioion is important to this argument.

All in All as my brother would say

OWNED :clap: :lol!:

jenny
17-08-06, 11:39 PM
Mickey, i hope with a attitude like that you sitck around.

I don't think this is about forcing him, he has entered a verbal, letter of intent contract with the titans, i might offer her that contracts should not be taken lightly nor laughed at.

Secondly the choice for friend and jake to leave melbourne and join the titans is their decision not melbourne,clubs don't say well u can have these two we want that fella.

My friend this isn't a hostage situation, jake is not being held against his will, he is merley being held to a contract he signed in some form( this will be cleared up at some time)

My friend do you think the melbourne storm are above the nrl and it's rules, it has most of the facts, it would understand the situation more than you or will, as they have modes of communcation amonst the involved parties.

Well time will tell my friend about your little cheap shot, also i don't see how this opioion is important to this argument.

All in All as my brother would say

OWNED :clap: :lol!:

:win: :win: :win: :win:

~Wild Child~
17-08-06, 11:41 PM

And also remember your club will only last a few years like every other sporting team that has come from the Gold CoastHey Mike...Your first set of statements were a little harsh...but you completely lost me with your last paragraph....That's just a mean spirited and spiteful comment to make...and it takes away any credibility you ever would have had.

jenny
17-08-06, 11:44 PM
It's John Ribot back from the dead! Melbourne Storm limited have so far lost 60 million and you think the Titans are endangered? News Ltd pull the pin tomorrow and you will be joining the Rams and Hunter fans, have fun.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :music: "Oh Mickey, what a pity, you don't understand :music: :lol!:

Steve Dangerous
17-08-06, 11:46 PM
We really don't need to start a Titans v Storm battle over this.

I don't mind them, and good luck to 'em for the semis this year. Just because there's disagreement over one issue doesn't mean both sets of fans should start talking poorly to eachother. cmon guys.

Hoppy2007Dragons
17-08-06, 11:48 PM
Agreed, but i will be cheering for the titans in their games, but i'm not going to be a diehard fan like many other wonderful members on here, but that was cheap and very cowardly, signs in to make one post and bolts, i feel that the responses were warranted.

PS> no one hates melbourne just mickey. :fence: :lol!:

jenny
17-08-06, 11:53 PM
Agreed, but i will be cheering for the titans in their games, but i'm not going to be a diehard fan like many other wonderful members on here, but that was cheap and very cowardly, signs in to make one post and bolts, i feel that the responses were warranted.

PS> no one hates melbourne just mickey. :fence: :lol!:

Same here, i like the Storm and hope they win this week! But that was a cheap shot. :(

Mikey
18-08-06, 12:04 AM
First of all you it wasn't a cheap shot and run because I'm sitll here and also you guys obviously can't read very well because my name is Mikey and not Mickey.

Jenny can you tell me how many Gold Coast teams have been successful in national competitions?????

What I meant about being good is we let Friendy and Jake talk to you before the deadline. Jackson Nicolau (check spelling) had a verbal agreement with us and we let him go when he changed his mind because we have the palyers best interests at heart but obviously you don't

If you want to talk abotu cheap shots look at Michael Searle

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 12:06 AM
First of all you it wasn't a cheap shot and run because I'm sitll here and also you guys obviously can't read very well because my name is Mikey and not Mickey.

Jenny can you tell me how many Gold Coast teams have been successful in national competitions?????

What I meant about being good is we let Friendy and Jake talk to you before the line. Jackson Nicolau (check spelling) had a verbal agreement with us and we let him go when he changed his mind because we have the palyers best interests at heart but obviously you don't

If you want to talk abotu cheap shots look at Michael SearleI got your name...You are just being spiteful and a little malicious....?

jenny
18-08-06, 12:10 AM

What I meant about being good is we let Friendy and Jake talk to you before the deadline. Jackson Nicolau (check spelling) had a verbal agreement with us and we let him go when he changed his mind because we have the palyers best interests at heart but obviously you don't

If you want to talk abotu cheap shots look at Michael Searle
:rotflmao: Because we are educated and civil we are not going to be rude, OK??
First of all Mickey, you have to realise this is a growing city, And we will pull it together very well this year!... Michael Searle has tried his GUTS out for this team to be in the NRL..And Everyone Applaudes him whether you like it or not! Fair enough you are hurt, i understand that...But you shot straight from the hip. It was an attack not a debate...Give credit where credit is due.
And our players will do just fine...So dont worry Mickey! The Titans are UP AND RUNNING :hi:

philstorm
18-08-06, 12:22 AM
First of all guys, what Mikey says isn't a true reflection of what other Storm fans (myself in particular), feel in regards to the matter.

I love the Gold Coast and I think that as a club, they'll do great! While I can understand the frustration that Mikey is going through (i'll admit I was the same yesterday), there's no point resorting to making cheap shots yourself mate by questioning the viability of the club itself.

I'd be very, very suprised if the Gold Coast weren't running about strongly when i'm on my death bed in 80+ (touchwood! :p) years time!

At the same time while I say this, would Gold Coast fans agree with me when they say that it is a bit over the top for Michael Searle to come out and say things like the Storm are 'arrogant' and in doing so, it's just well not a good thing to say. I have an enormous respect for Searle for getting this club up and running, but making unwarranted statements like that against my club isn't going to increase my respect for him! :(

Anyway, just my 2 cents ... :)

jenny
18-08-06, 12:25 AM
First of all guys, what Mikey says isn't a true reflection of what other Storm fans (myself in particular), feel in regards to the matter.

I love the Gold Coast and I think that as a club, they'll do great! While I can understand the frustration that Mikey is going through (i'll admit I was the same yesterday), there's no point resorting to making cheap shots yourself mate by questioning the viability of the club itself.

I'd be very, very suprised if the Gold Coast weren't running about strongly when i'm on my death bed in 80+ (touchwood! :p) years time!

At the same time while I say this, would Gold Coast fans agree with me when they say that it is a bit over the top for Michael Searle to come out and say things like the Storm are 'arrogant' and in doing so, it's just well not a good thing to say. I have an enormous respect for Searle for getting this club up and running, but making unwarranted statements like that against my club isn't going to increase that respect!

Anyway, just my 2 cents ...
Good onya philstorm....I like the Storm TOO! ;)

DeeGan
18-08-06, 12:37 AM
Mate dont say we didn't realise his potential, because that's the fundamental reason that we signed him in the first place ... :?)

Mate don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say the Storm didn't recognise his potential. Steve Turner was signed primarily as a back up albeit one with potential. It is only now with regular playing time that the Storm are sitting there regretting allowing us to negotiate with him in the first place. If the Storm wanted him, we would not have had a play at him - simple as that.

2004: 7 games

2005: Injured

Heading in to the 2006 season Steve was not a starter, from memory he started from the bench. The Storm backline read: Slater, Webster, Inglis, King, Geyer, Hill and Cronk.

We identified a guy who could start regulary and make an impact in the NRL, he has done that, now he is a little reluctant to leave the team that gave him a chance outside of the Panthers. I can appreciate that though giving your word is something not to shirked at ... my understanding is he made a verbal committment to the Titans which is backed up by an e-mail sent by his manager David Riolo.

Moving on ...

Turning this in to a slanging match with Melbourne supporters is not something I nor the Titans fans should be interested in. "Fishermen" are everywhere on line in the rugby league world - we should know how to send one "home empty handed".

Stick to the facts on this one and don't toe the line and enter the grey area where "hearsay" and the like will be thrown around. We will read more about "his heart is Melbourne yada yada" though the fact remains he made a decision on his future back in mid June.

The black and white facts again for some:

Steve Turner agreed to a two year deal with the Gold Coast Titans on June 19.
During a flying visit to the Gold Coast to celebrate his signing, the 21 year old said he had based his decision to move north on his desire to make a name for himself as a fulltime fullback.

Turner said, ?The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me. I have been behind some great players at the Storm and have been appreciative for the support they have shown me but the chance to concentrate on the number 1 jersey at a brand new club is something that is too good to pass up.?

Turner said, ?The Titans have staff that I am familiar with; John (Cartwright) was my lower grade coach at the Panthers and I played with Satts (Scott Sattler) & also the chance to experience Billy Johnstone as a conditioner is very appealing. Let?s hope I can leave the Storm on the highest note possible.?

The following day the Titans had a contract couriered to Steve Turner and his management.

Monday the 14th of August 2006 The Titans were informed that Steve Turner had appeared on a Sydney Radio station where he had made it quite clear that he was looking forward to joining the Titans and setting out on a new adventure.

24 hours later Turner was paraded for the media with the Melbourne Storm CEO at his side claiming that he was now unhappy with his decision and no longer wanted to go to the Gold Coast, announcing he had instead agreed to new terms with the Storm and signed a new contract which would keep him in Melbourne until 2009.

16th August 2006, Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle presented a comprehensive file to the NRL which included Statements from Titans Head Coach John Cartwright, Football Manager Scott Sattler and the player?s agent David Riolo.

After reviewing extensive documentation provided by Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle, National Rugby League CEO David Gallop?s preliminary ruling was that an agreement was reached between the Titans and Player Steven Turner

17th August Mr Gallop stated that after reviewing the documents supplied by the Titans, he believed an agreement had been reached between the Gold Coast Club and the player, stating that he will support the Titans as they move to retain Turner on their 2007 playing roster.

DeeGan
18-08-06, 12:57 AM
I have to laugh re-reading some of this thread - let me get this straight - a minority are wanting to portray us as the "bad guys" in this scenario? :laugh:

I was having a horrible evening with work, that made my night :D

How dare we make a stand against a player/club who wants out of a committment to the team! :laugh: Shame on Michael Searle :laugh:

Michael Searle was spot on today:

?We believe the NRL?s interim assessment of the validity of our agreement with Steve Turner, is a vindication of the integrity, professionalism and good faith that we have displayed in these negotiations. However, we believe the Storm attempting to sign Steve Turner, after we were very clear to the Storm that we had an agreement with Steve Turner is reprehensible. It shows a lack of respect for not only the Gold Coast Titans administration but Gold Coast Titans fans as well.?

?We were very clear with the Storm?s administration before they offered him a new three year deal that we had an agreement with Steve Turner that was legally enforceable and his manager was very clear that we had an agreement but they chose to ignore that very clear advice and sign Steve Turner anyway. Their actions were arrogant and showed complete contempt for our Club?

Cheap shot? :ok: Some would call the above FACT which at times is a bitter pill to swallow for some ;)

philstorm
18-08-06, 01:07 AM
I have to laugh re-reading some of this thread - let me get this straight - a minority are wanting to portray us as the "bad guys" in this scenario? :laugh:

I was having a horrible evening with work, that made my night :D

How dare we make a stand against a player/club who wants out of a committment to the team! :laugh: Shame on Michael Searle :laugh:

Michael Searle was spot on today:

Cheap shot? :ok: Some would call the above FACT which at times is a bitter pill to swallow for some ;)

I assume that's directed at me ...

I stand by what I said earlier when I say that I think it's unfair for the Titans to make unwarranted accusations of the Storm.

Turner said he had been angered by suggestions he had been coerced by Storm into staying in Melbourne.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20163775-10389,00.html

"I just want people to know this is my decision. I have seen the suggestions that I only did it because the Storm put pressure on me, but that's not the case. I made this decision because I want to stay with Melbourne. "

Yes, the Storm are really to blame for Turners change of heart ...

No-one is blaming anyone DeeGan, I just think its poor form for Searle to accuse the Storm of cheap shots yet do the same thing to us, despite what the player himself has said ...

DeeGan
18-08-06, 01:18 AM
Again, we made it known to the Melbourne Storm that an agreement was reached with Steve Turner before they went off and signed him this week ... arrogance is a most fitting description for the Storm in this scenario in which they now have created (with the help of Turner) this mess that creates unwanted publicity for all involved. The showed contempt for the Gold Coast Titans as Michael said today. All but a minority of Melbourne fans would agree.

Forgive me for not "feeling" for the Melbourne Storm or Steve Turner on this one.

For those who joined the forum over the last week I am a big fan of Melbourne and what they bring to the competition way as well.

philstorm
18-08-06, 01:26 AM
Yeh well I guess there's no point me trying to put forward my point of view then.

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 01:38 AM
Yeh well I guess there's no point me trying to put forward my point of view then.But you have stated your arguments/debates and stance, havent you?

philstorm
18-08-06, 01:40 AM
But you have stated your arguments/debates and stance, havent you?

Lol pretty much! :laugh:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20165607-14823,00.html

Now Ruben Wiki chimes in! :D

"Stay strong Steve and stay in Melbourne"

Haha I love Ruben! :p

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 01:44 AM
Lol pretty much! :laugh:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20165607-14823,00.html

Now Ruben Wiki chimes in! :D

"Stay strong Steve and stay in Melbourne"

Haha I love Ruben! :pAnd pretty fairly too..:purdy: So...:emp: ya win some...:laugh:...and are not as successful in others :D...But your opinion is much valued :D

maroon man
18-08-06, 07:36 AM
I support Michael Searle and the Titans management for moving to enforce the agreement. The young man needs to learn that, when you give your word, you honour it!
The thing that bugs me now is this.....if we put the man before the player, why would we have a place for someone who is dishonest. Now you can say that accusing Turner of being dishonest is a bit harsh and I have read where he is only a kid ( in fact, I referred to him as such) but the realty is the he is an adult and he is fully aware that he made a deal - whether it be a handshake or in writing - and he is willing to break that deal. I read where the Management are confident that, once they get Turner up here, he will settle in and enjoy the place. What if he doesn't? What a destabilising influence he could be on the entire franchise.

Personally, I hope Michael gets the total support of the NRL and Turner is directed to honour his word. Once that is established....tell him to take a walk!!!

As for Mr. Waldron and the Storm management, I think they have been totally arrogant and dishonest. If they really believed that Turner was free to sign an arrangement with them, then why didn't they seek the advice, counsel or support of the NRL prior to doing the deed?

Brettymac
18-08-06, 08:50 AM
You gotta love the controversy... !! Its certainly not in the best interests of either team... Titans with the potential to lose a promising signing, and the disruption for Turner & Melbourne players on the way to a finals campaign...

But it would appear Turner will play for the Gold Coast or not at all. Neither Storm nor Turner have a legal leg to stand on, the mere fact he rang the club a week prior asking for a release from the titans is proof enough he himself recognised a contract existed. And after the latest words from Michael Searle the club wont be taking a backwards step.

He's had a great year Turner, culminating in an awesome last start against the Broncos, so you cant question the Storm now "Wanting" to resign him, but you can question them "Thinking" they could resign him.

I dont want him at the titans, but legally, Searle is spot on.

Mikey
18-08-06, 10:49 AM
on Melbourne radio station SEN last night Melbourne sporting lawyer Steven J Peake suggested Brian Waldron and the Storm should take this to court.

What you Tight-**** fans fail to aknowledge is that we have had the same situation with Fui fui Moi Moi and Jackson Nickolau and we let both players go because we are a decent club and don't hold players against their willl and Deegan you only post the Titans side of the arguement, you should have got online and listened to Briabn Wladron on SEN

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 11:12 AM
on Melbourne radio station SEN last night Melbourne sporting lawyer Steven J Peake suggested Brian Waldron and the Storm should take this to court.

What you Tight-**** fans fail to aknowledge is that we have had the same situation with Fui fui Moi Moi and Jackson Nickolau and we let both players go because we are a decent club and don't hold players against their willl and Deegan you only post the Titans side of the arguement, you should have got online and listened to Briabn Wladron on SEN
If DeeGan was online he may use the word FISHERMAN Just a guess, so please don't quote me...:laugh:...Please don't call anyone tight a**. DeeGan, like everyone else is probably going to post what he believes to be the truth...Mikey...You are still sounding jealous :laugh: No need to get personal...and call anyone names...It's making you sound childish and immature :laugh: Plus it makes you sound as if you have no credibility..:laugh: :)

jenny
18-08-06, 11:12 AM

Pfft...You Poor uneducated Fool...We don't know all the facts...Admin DO!!!
I trust the Titans to do the right thing! We will be Victorious in the end, no matter WHAT the outcome :laugh: C/ya Mickey :laugh:That will be my last post to you! I will not dignify you with an answer :satan:

Mikey
18-08-06, 11:49 AM
Who did I call names

mb63
18-08-06, 11:59 AM
Curious to know what role Turner's manager played in all this.I would have thought as Turner's manager he would have ensured that the Titans had Turner's signature on something.Regardless of the situation I believe the Turner should play at Storm as that is where he wants to be.Yes I am a Storm supporter but I want the Titans to succeed & will be signing up as a member & will get to see them 5-6 times a year.I just think it will do more harm than good forcing players to play when they don't want to be there.

Queenslander
18-08-06, 11:59 AM
Who did I call names

Refer below:

Thats not wise to call Titans fans that....especially at their own web forums. Perhaps have a think about what you are saying before posting here.

Plus dont fish for a fight with DeeGan, he will own you :laugh:

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 12:05 PM
Refer below:

Thats not wise to call Titans fans that....especially at their own web forums. Perhaps have a think about what you are saying before posting here.

Plus dont fish for a fight with DeeGan, he will own you :laugh:That's a fact...Mikey..what are you talking about you called us "Tight A*** fans.....It won't be only DeeGan who owns you either....The majority of the forum :mine: you.....State your case...but please remember to respect this forum....without name calling...then running away...It's something little kids do...:laugh: :mine: but..actually they are better at it then you ...:satan: In fact you are so :mine: it's ridiculous :rotflmao: :cool:

Brettymac
18-08-06, 12:48 PM

So your point is that Melbourne released Moi Moi and Nickolau (whoever that is) because its' a decent club, and Titans are not letting Turner go because they're an indecent club. Forgive the rebuttal Mikey but Im going out on a limb here and saying that both clubs have respectively treated these situations based on the individual circumstances of each player (In the titans case they believe Turners circumstances are not extenuating and they will invest in his happiness once he arrives). So instead of the "We are Good" and "You are bad" argument your delivering, maybe you can describe to me the individual circumstances pertaining to Fui Fui Moi Moi. Otherwise I fail to see how the comparisons are relevant.

mb63
18-08-06, 01:04 PM
The Moi Moi situation has some similarities.Moi Moi agreed to come to the Storm but he changed his mind.Storm didn't stand in his way & he stayed at Eels.

Brettymac
18-08-06, 01:16 PM
I was under the impression Gavin Orr signed the contract on Moi Moi's behalf.

Steve Dangerous
18-08-06, 01:23 PM
Wouldn't being stuffed over by Moi Moi etc make you more empathatic to the position the Titans are in? It seems weird to be suggesting because you've been done over before, then you're all free to swipe players. I thought you'd be able to put yourself in our shoes for a second as you know how it feels.

mb63
18-08-06, 01:32 PM
I was under the impression Gavin Orr signed the contract on Moi Moi's behalf.
Correct.

mb63
18-08-06, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't being stuffed over by Moi Moi etc make you more empathatic to the position the Titans are in? It seems weird to be suggesting because you've been done over before, then you're all free to swipe players. I thought you'd be able to put yourself in our shoes for a second as you know how it feels.
I have alot of sympathy for the Titans.I just believe an organisation is better off with players who are totally committed to the club & want to be part of it.(Turner obviously doesn't).The Titans have plenty to offer players with great climate & place to live,a new stadium on the way & a club that will be very successful.There will be a few hiccups along the way but the Titans will attract quality players.In the Turner situation the Titans haven't done anything wrong apart from possibly some sloppy paperwork.Losing Turner might hurt the club a little in the short term but in the big picture it will not make much difference.

Mikey
18-08-06, 02:05 PM
3 simple poitns here.

1. Yes I do call the titans thetight ****s after what has happened but have u not heard people call the Dargons the Dragqueens or the Cowboys the cheatboys etc. Even Melbourne is reffered to as the drizzle instead of the Storm by some rival supporters

2. I was never sayign something then running and hiding, I do have other things to do besides being on web forums all day

3. We were in that istuation and we understood that the players didn't wnat to be a part of the club so we let them go so rather then saying we should have sympathy for you maybe you should take a leaf out of our book

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 02:09 PM
3 simple poitns here.

1. Yes I do call the titans thetight ****s after what has happened but have u not heard people call the Dargons the Dragqueens or the Cowboys the cheatboys etc. Even Melbourne is reffered to as the drizzle instead of the Storm by some rival supporters

2. I was never sayign something then running and hiding, I do have other things to do besides being on web forums all day

3. We were in that istuation and we understood that the players didn't wnat to be a part of the club so we let them go so rather then saying we should have sympathy for you maybe you should take a leaf out of our bookIn reference to your number one comment...no we do'nt refer to other clubs by those names...or that I've heard anyway...Supporters from all teams respect each other here :)

Queenslander
18-08-06, 02:11 PM

:laugh: :laugh: You should patent that....im sure it will catch on

Oh by the way im being sarcastic. :bored:

Back on topic:

It will all come down to what consitutes a legal contract IMO.

And the common law states that a contract must include

1) offer
2) acceptance
3) invitation to create legal intentions
4) consideration
5) capacity
6) certanity
7) legality

Plus the terms of a contract can be:
- expressed in writing or orally
- implied or conduct or by custom
- a combination of these things

Those are some things to think about over the course of the drama. As the dispute will centre around the contract.

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 02:49 PM
3 simple poitns here.

3. We were in that istuation and we understood that the players didn't wnat to be a part of the club so we let them go so rather then saying we should have sympathy for you maybe you should take a leaf out of our book:) In reference to your number two statement...If you are going to be BRAVE :dead: enough to call us names....please be brave :dead: enough to hang around for more than 5 min.You are simply coming in, doing a bit of name-calling, and a bit of venting and leaving again :ok:..I'm sorry, but you remind me of a spoilt brat :D...
In reference to your number three comment...I would never take a leaf out of your book..you are rude and a little bit of a :') baby.....:D

Hoppy2007Dragons
18-08-06, 02:53 PM
Given the limited facts that have been presented, and the fact that the NRL has sided with the titans, i dare say if this dispute want to a tribunal or court, it would be found that this contract is legally binding, as queenslander stated correctly, there are many parts involved in a contract and all seemed to have been fulfilled in verbal or written form and even implied by media statements made by mr turner himself.

mb63
18-08-06, 02:58 PM
Given the limited facts that have been presented, and the fact that the NRL has sided with the titans, i dare say if this dispute want to a tribunal or court, it would be found that this contract is legally binding, as queenslander stated correctly, there are many parts involved in a contract and all seemed to have been fulfilled in verbal or written form and even implied by media statements made by mr turner himself.
If it went to court I reckon Melb would be in the box seat as they have his signature on a contract.No doubt Turner's intention was to play at Titans but he didn't sign anything.

Brettymac
18-08-06, 03:38 PM
If it went to court I reckon Melb would be in the box seat as they have his signature on a contract.No doubt Turner's intention was to play at Titans but he didn't sign anything.

Signatures mean little when it comes to contract law Mb. Its not required to enter into a legally binding contract.

philstorm
18-08-06, 04:25 PM
Mikey, pull your head in mate. Calling opposition fans 'tight****s' is a stupid thing to do. I'm sure friendly banter and discussion is encouraged, but not crap like that.

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 04:31 PM
Mikey, pull your head in mate. Calling opposition fans 'tight****s' is a stupid thing to do. I'm sure friendly banter and discussion is encouraged, but not crap like that.:win: :win: :win:...Great post philstorm.:purdy:

Hoppy2007Dragons
18-08-06, 04:50 PM

I beg to differ, the many media relaseses that state, he joined to get a permanet postion at fullback and a great lifestyle etc etc, imply that he has entered into a contract and as thus a court would see this, this is the issue, he has signed a contract with melbourne when he is already in one for next season, in court the contract created with melbourne, would not be used as a piece of evidence, it has no effect what so ever on the titans contract, a court hearing would be used to determine wheter in fact turner did enter into a contract with the titans, and if not, then the melbourne contract is legal, if the court finds however that he did enter into an agreement with the titans, the melbourne contract would be void. The fact that he has signed somethign else would not be used, and if his defence did use it, the judge would inform the jury to ignore that piece of evidence as it is not mitigating.

jenny
18-08-06, 04:57 PM
I beg to differ, the many media relaseses that state, he joined to get a permanet postion at fullback and a great lifestyle etc etc, imply that he has entered into a contract and as thus a court would see this, this is the issue, he has signed a contract with melbourne when he is already in one for next season, in court the contract created with melbourne, would not be used as a piece of evidence, it has no effect what so ever on the titans contract, a court hearing would be used to determine wheter in fact turner did enter into a contract with the titans, and if not, then the melbourne contract is legal, if the court finds however that he did enter into an agreement with the titans, the melbourne contract would be void. The fact that he has signed somethign else would not be used, and if his defence did use it, the judge would inform the jury to ignore that piece of evidence as it is not mitigating.
WHOOAAAAA!!! Very Impressive!!!

DeeGan
18-08-06, 05:03 PM
The ball is in your court Steve:

Titans don?t want Turner?s career to stall.

Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle and Coach John Cartwright today reinforced their commitment to Steve Turner, saying the 21 year old Melbourne Storm player will be welcomed at the Gold Coast club with open arms once his 2007 National Rugby League commitments have ceased.

?Coach John Cartwright and I look forward to having Steve join his new team mates on the Gold Coast later this year. It is with great disappointment that we have heard Steve may consider sitting out the next three National Rugby League seasons. The Gold Coast Titans stress this would be a regrettable outcome, and this decision can only be made by Steve.? Searle said.

?The last thing we want is for Steve?s promising career to be placed on hold; in fact we are confident that his career will flourish under the strong coaching team we have assembled at the Club. We are also sure Steve will enjoy his time on the Gold Coast and at the Titans.?

?We did consider an application for release made by Steve Turner last week, however there were no compassionate grounds and it was decided the Club would be setting a horrible precedent if we were to grant a release simply because the player changed his mind or had been persuaded to stay on at his present club.?

jenny
18-08-06, 05:09 PM
The ball is in your court Steve:
I Totally agree with that! I remember when Tallis did it, while Contracted to ST George...Very Uncool!

DeeGan
18-08-06, 05:10 PM
I Totally agree with that! I remember when Tallis did it, while Contracted to ST George...Very Uncool!

Let's hope it doesn't come to that ... time will tell.

jenny
18-08-06, 05:14 PM
Let's hope it doesn't come to that ... time will tell.

I hope not too...

philstorm
18-08-06, 05:38 PM
To be honest, I think he'll miss most of next year as he see's this pan out in court. :(

Darren Lockyer
18-08-06, 05:38 PM
He should just knuckle down and play for us

DeeGan
18-08-06, 05:42 PM
To be honest, I think he'll miss most of next year as he see's this pan out in court. :(

Now that would be a shame ...

The Steve Turner type of player is able to be replaced, no one is going to mix him up for a Tallis calibre type of player. I think sitting out will do him more harm than good. There are a lot of young talented players ready to be called upon .- look no futher than a Shannon Walker in our Elite Academy squad for example.

We will see how this goes though I am sure all involved want to see Steve Turner on the football field in 2007.

Darren Lockyer
18-08-06, 05:46 PM
I just hope we see him on the football field for the titans.

Brettymac
18-08-06, 06:14 PM
Career suicide if he chooses to sit on the sidelines. No 21year old with his talent should be sitting anywhere other than a press box answering questions about his stellar performances.

Hypothetical situation though, lets assume the dispute is settled and he makes the decision to go ahead with the inaugural year of the fledgling (love that word) club, how will his team mates take to him. Will Steve turner be welcomed by one and ALL ?

Souths'n'Titans
18-08-06, 09:08 PM
Why the hell are the Titans persuing Turner. Why does a club want someone there who doesnt want to be there.

Souths did it with Elford this year, and it worked out fine

travop
18-08-06, 10:47 PM
u got 2 be kidin me he better not leave otherwise im gunna drag my broncos/titans butt down there and slap him silly

Souths'n'Titans
18-08-06, 11:01 PM
I having been talking about this to my Old man who works as the legal representitive for his work, and he said that Titans will find it hard to win the case if they persue legal action (which is riduculous) because a verbal agreement on an intention is not binding.

Thats just his 2 cents but, "WHY WONT THEY RELEASE HIM?" The Titans organisation has just gone down in my books so much because they want a player to play at their club who doesnt want to be their. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb Titans franchise. It is the last thing they need heading into the inaugrial season

Grimmace
18-08-06, 11:04 PM
Would you be happy if asotasi or any of the other players came out and said they didnt want to be part of the club? and wouldnt you want your club to fight for them? i think you have your answer

mb63
18-08-06, 11:21 PM
If the NRL rules that Turner can only play for the Titans he should do that & commit to the club & not consider sitting out.That would be ridiculous.

RobJ
18-08-06, 11:37 PM
Career suicide if he chooses to sit on the sidelines. No 21year old with his talent should be sitting anywhere other than a press box answering questions about his stellar performances.

Hypothetical situation though, lets assume the dispute is settled and he makes the decision to go ahead with the inaugural year of the fledgling (love that word) club, how will his team mates take to him. Will Steve turner be welcomed by one and ALL ?

Welcomed by players and fans alike?? I find it hard to think that EVERYONE will welcome him if his heart isn't here.

GO THE TITANS!

molly
19-08-06, 12:39 AM
I doubt he will sit out, he will be playing for one or the other next year. The difficulty for the Tits will could quite possibly be proving acceptance of the agreement. As previous experience in RL would suggest that all offers are agreed to by the signing of contracts...if this isnt the case, why did the Titans fwd documents to Turner to sign? As Turner did not sign anything, he may be able to argue (successfully?) that acceptance of the offer was never clear or certain. Certainly if no other method is prescribed, the method of acceptance must take the same form as the method of the offer, now I would presume the offer came in writing.

This isnt going to be clear cut as there are so many angles to it, however, at end of the day, neither club nor the NRL really has much to gain by forcing the player to do anything. Perhaps for the Tits its just a matter of chest beating and they need to be seen to be mixing it with the big boys on their own terms...

No one will win this one if he sits out 3 years.

Grimmace
19-08-06, 07:50 AM
I doubt he will sit out, he will be playing for one or the other next year. The difficulty for the Tits will could quite possibly be proving acceptance of the agreement. As previous experience in RL would suggest that all offers are agreed to by the signing of contracts...if this isnt the case, why did the Titans fwd documents to Turner to sign? As Turner did not sign anything, he may be able to argue (successfully?) that acceptance of the offer was never clear or certain. Certainly if no other method is prescribed, the method of acceptance must take the same form as the method of the offer, now I would presume the offer came in writing.

This isnt going to be clear cut as there are so many angles to it, however, at end of the day, neither club nor the NRL really has much to gain by forcing the player to do anything. Perhaps for the Tits its just a matter of chest beating and they need to be seen to be mixing it with the big boys on their own terms...

No one will win this one if he sits out 3 years.

Great post and yeah hi welcome to the forums and dont forget to laugh yourself stupid

Souths'n'Titans
19-08-06, 08:00 AM
Would you be happy if asotasi or any of the other players came out and said they didnt want to be part of the club? and wouldnt you want your club to fight for them? i think you have your answer
No I would not be happy, but I would rather have players at my club who really want to be there, not players who wont out. To answer your question, I would release him

TITANS are dumb if they dont