PDA

View Full Version : Titans fans choose their foes

Kingytek
27-10-05, 07:31 AM
Titans fans choose their foes

By ADAM WRATTEN

FANS of the NRL?s fledgling Gold Coast Titans have targeted Sydney showponies, the Roosters, as their number one enemy.

Even though the Titans only have half a team and are 18 months away from playing their first game, it appears Gold Coasters would love nothing more than to put one over the Ricky Stuart-coached Roosters.

The Roosters are streets ahead in a poll, conducted on a Titans? fan forum, to find the most disliked NRL club, with more than 50 per cent of the vote. The Broncos are a clear second on 37 per cent.

Ironically, Titans head coach John Cartwright arrives at the Gold Coast after a successful stint as assistant coach to Stuart at the Roosters.

Yesterday, the diplomatic Cartwright wasn?t buying into talk of getting one up on his old club.

"No not at all, it?s an old cliche, but each week is different and no one game hurts more to lose than another one. Every loss hurts as much as the next," Cartwright said.

"And, every win feels just as good."

However, he said the local derby with Brisbane would have something extra.

"Brisbane ... they are our nearest team and will be our local derby, so there will always be that bit of extra spice," Cartwright said.

Titans general manager of marketing and commercial operations Stephen Burns said that in recent weeks the Titans? forum had been the most utilised site in rugby league ? apart from the NRL?s.

The club does not control comments posted on the forum, which has strict guidelines about usage.

Meanwhile, Burns said the Titans website had received about 200,000 hits since its inception this time last month.

To have your say on the fans? forum visit the club?s website at www.titans.com.au and follow the prompts to the forum.
http://www.tweednews.com.au/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3658167&thesection=localsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Titans forums making headlines!
Good work

DIEHARD
27-10-05, 07:57 AM
Wow that is amazing! The world is watching!

DeeGan
27-10-05, 09:19 AM
Pretty chuffed just quietly to get in the news ALREADY and it is all positive. Some free advertising, hopefully we can have more Titans fans joining as well as a result.

This only reinforces what I was telling Steve and co. only a week after launching, we have something pretty speciall forming here, I hope as many Titans fans as possible are able to enjoy the ride :)

DeeGan

Titans#1
27-10-05, 10:09 AM
YAY, we might have a few more entrie's into the Trivia Night (should have got them to include that in the article, damn.)

How did this come about, anyone know?

Dakink
27-10-05, 10:38 AM
Awesome!!!

We ARE building something special here - congrats to all involved and keep the forums chugging over the off season! Hopefully will drive more traffic though 200k hits isnt too bad!!! Nice to see they listed the website too!

Kingytek
27-10-05, 10:44 AM
YAY, we might have a few more entrie's into the Trivia Night (should have got them to include that in the article, damn.)

How did this come about, anyone know?

The author from the Tweed's Daily news just must have picked it up from the site and ran with it. The more publicity the better, as long as it's all good!

Dakink
27-10-05, 10:53 AM
I think the way that the team has gone about building the club and the type of player and attitude that they are looking for - I think that was failry prelevant in their thinking.

They want headlines for the right reasons!

Cliffy GC
27-10-05, 11:08 AM
come on team lets pick up our game

The broncos are enemy no 1 :D

DeeGan
27-10-05, 11:17 AM
I never voted though I thought Brisbane would be the ideal choice to start of the local derby ;)

DeeGan

Super Cronk
27-10-05, 11:21 AM
thats great that the forum was mentioned and that they recognise the work done here.

The Original Idiot
27-10-05, 12:45 PM
Methinks the reporter has a username here. They have to play the Broncos for the opener. Friday Night?

Steve Dangerous
27-10-05, 01:48 PM
ha. the things that make news, hey?

that said, it is a free plug so why not ;)

Queenslander
27-10-05, 01:57 PM
Excellent its good to see us getting some headlines!

DIEHARD
27-10-05, 02:10 PM
No way should they play the Broncos first up, they need to save that show piece.

The hype of their first match will be enough alone.

Queenslander
27-10-05, 02:17 PM
No way should they play the Broncos first up, they need to save that show piece.

The hype of their first match will be enough alone.

Perhaps the titans can play the winner of the grand final from the previous year. If i remember correctly the Broncos did that in 88 against Manly i think and won!

DIEHARD
27-10-05, 02:28 PM
Perhaps the titans can play the winner of the grand final from the previous year. If i remember correctly the Broncos did that in 88 against Manly i think and won!

I guess that depends on what the Premier wants, seening as they win the honour of selecting their first up opponent. Wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd like to see it happen.

I'd still like to see the Titans go up against a middleweight first. Maybe like a Newcastle, Penrith or Manly.

Queenslander
27-10-05, 02:30 PM
I'd still like to see the Titans go up against a middleweight first. Maybe like a Newcastle, Penrith or Manly.

Let's hope they dont win the grand final next year then ;)

littledog
27-10-05, 03:59 PM
i reckon the local derby with the broncos would be a great kick off for the inaugural season.

DIEHARD
27-10-05, 04:46 PM
i reckon the local derby with the broncos would be a great kick off for the inaugural season.

No doubt it would, I'm just looking at it from the angle of milking as much hype and mileage out of the season as possible.

And there would be the return clash at Lang Park. :cool:

Steelers
27-10-05, 06:05 PM
It is cool to see the forum in the news :p

Titanium_BD1103
27-10-05, 10:06 PM
Go the forum... that is so cool... we made the news... LOL... something tells me it is the majority of Bulldogs and Dragons supporters who are making that poll state the Roosters... I think most of us here voted that.... :D :D

As for the team I would like to see the Gold Coast beat... I'd say the Broncos.. even though I did vote for the roosters, that was the bulldog in me showing... ;).... nah.... for this team, it would be great to win the first local derby...

Christabella
27-10-05, 11:46 PM
It is cool to see the forum in the news :p
Very cool for such a young forum.

But with journalists out there reading what you say (so much for research these days) it should remind you to think before you post. Even so I have had a rather bad experience with a certain major Sydney paper where a journo cut and edited a post together to suit their own agenda.
They never did reply to my emails about it either.

Titanium_BD1103
28-10-05, 01:21 PM
Very cool for such a young forum.

But with journalists out there reading what you say (so much for research these days) it should remind you to think before you post. Even so I have had a rather bad experience with a certain major Sydney paper where a journo cut and edited a post together to suit their own agenda.
They never did reply to my emails about it either.

You make a good point there Christa, as a PR person, having worked with the major papers in Sydney when doing PR campaigns.. it is a real easy way for them to get news... through the use of forums, it gives them access to opinion without having to go out and get it.. so yeah.. watch what you say just a friendly warning... ;)

Super Cronk
28-10-05, 02:10 PM
Stuff you newspaper journo's!!!

hehe... ;)

Brycey
28-10-05, 06:33 PM
Meh, the Roosters are the favourites to hate atm. But time will pass and just like Manly it'll fade, as for Broncos, they will always be the neighbours and the arch rivals.

Teegy
28-10-05, 08:20 PM
Roosters will be hated untill they stop buying their teams and start bringing through their juniours

DIEHARD
29-10-05, 07:20 AM
Roosters will be hated untill they stop buying their teams and start bringing through their juniours

There is far more to hate about the Roosters than their spending habbits.

Queenslander
29-10-05, 09:06 AM
There is far more to hate about the Roosters than their spending habbits.

The first things that come to mind are Ricky Stewart and Phil Gould, im sure there are more things to add to this list.

titans_fanatic
29-10-05, 02:46 PM
for me it is roosters and broncos

In-Cyde #1
29-10-05, 03:42 PM
It's gotta be against the Cowboys.

How good would that match be.

Titanium_BD1103
29-10-05, 04:38 PM
That would be good... but a local derby against the Broncos is more likely to draw the crowd due to the rivalry they have from all the previous GC teams... so yeah... the Broncos Round 1, 2007 still for me... :D :D

Queenslander
29-10-05, 05:12 PM
That would be good... but a local derby against the Broncos is more likely to draw the crowd due to the rivalry they have from all the previous GC teams... so yeah... the Broncos Round 1, 2007 still for me... :D :D

If the Broncos v Cowboys match round 1 next year 1 at Suncorp pulls a good crowd (and it will) i doubt a cowboy v titans or a broncos v titans match will occur straight up. The nrl was planning on having that game first every year from now on. But I wouldn't mind having the titans play the premiers from the previous year, cause if the titans knock them off then its game on for the titans in 07.

Steelers
29-10-05, 05:48 PM
Well I would love to see the Dragons have an awau game at Robina Stadium Round 1, so I could go to it :P