PDA

View Full Version : Broncos and Wynnum forge an alliance

DIEHARD
26-10-05, 03:28 PM
Wynnum Seagulls Media Release

The Wynnum Seagulls RLFC has today announced a three-year partnership arrangement with the Brisbane Broncos that will enable Wynnum Seagulls players to stay in the bayside district and still have viable opportunities in the NRL.

The partnership arrangement has been formalised over the past few months following the decision of the Wynnum Seagulls RLFC to sever ties with the Manly Sea Eagles. The club then went in search of an affiliation that would best complement the Seagulls development program, which is supported by the Wynnum Seagulls RLFC and the Wynnum Manly Leagues Club.

Wynnum Seagulls RLFC Chief Executive Mark Rockley said much time and energy had been expended creating a long-term development structure that would help produce future Seagulls players.

?The final part of this structure was to secure an effective NRL partner that would best support our program,? he said.

?The partnership with the Broncos will provide a clear pathway for our juniors, as well as present the senior club with dual-registration opportunities for Seagulls players. There is also a wonderful opportunity for coaching development, at both senior and junior level.

?And we believe the longevity of the association ? a three-year term - also confirms the commitment of both parties.?

Mr Rockley said the relationship was viewed by both clubs as a win-win situation.

?In return for what the Broncos can offer us, the Seagulls present the Broncos with one of the best junior rugby league strongholds in Brisbane,? he said.

?We boast an area that has a wealth of untapped talent and a professional development structure that is sure to provide Broncos players of the future. As well, the Seagulls senior club structure is one of the best in the Queensland Cup competition.

?With former English Super League coach Shane McNally now at the helm of our Junior Development program there has already been considerable progress at a junior level. Now that the partnership with the Broncos has been formalised, we can finalise the development plan that is sure to increase participation in the sport within the district as well as improve the skill level of players and coaches alike.?

Mr Rockey said the future of rugby league in the bayside area of Wynnum was extremely bright, and added that with the support of the company Ikin Store It and the Wynnum Manly Leagues Club, it was a long term future indeed.

Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said the club?s relationship with the strong Wynnum Seagulls was a tangible sign that the rugby league fraternity in Brisbane was serious about becoming a major strength in the game.

?I am not suggesting there has been any dilution of rugby league, but to remain the strong force Queensland has been in the past we all have to work closely together,? he said.

?Developing NRL rugby league players does not happen overnight. It involves a system ? a production-like if you like ? that starts when a kid first pulls on a pair of footy boots.?

?The Broncos are not suggesting we know everything about developing players, but we have had a lot of experience and a lot of success over 18 years. Our agenda is to give every aspiring NRL player the opportunity to achieve their goals, yet not leave Brisbane as a junior if their preference is to stay here.?

?The Wynnum Seagulls have a terrific structure in place and with the resources we can offer them, this association can only be a plus for rugby league.?

DIEHARD
26-10-05, 03:30 PM
The Queensland Cup is being carved up into camps.

BRISBANE BRONCOS - Toowoomba, Wynnum and Redcliffe

GOLD COAST TITANS - Burleigh, Tweed Heads and Ipswich

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS - Central and Young Guns.

I think this is very healthy for rugby league. The battle lines are being drawn.

Steelers
26-10-05, 04:18 PM
The Queensland Cup is being carved up into camps.

BRISBANE BRONCOS - Toowoomba, Wynnum and Redcliffe

GOLD COAST TITANS - Burleigh, Tweed Heads and Ipswich

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS - Central and Young Guns.

I think this is very healthy for rugby league. The battle lines are being drawn.

This will soon lead the way to a stint of QLD dominance in the NRL.

[BroncosGirl]
26-10-05, 04:45 PM
Wasn't this anounced a couple of days ago ... well I heard about it anyways, and I think its a good move for the Broncos, I mean the more talent the better :p

DIEHARD
26-10-05, 05:12 PM
']Wasn't this anounced a couple of days ago ... well I heard about it anyways, and I think its a good move for the Broncos, I mean the more talent the better :p

Yep it's a few days old.

The Original Idiot
27-10-05, 12:58 PM
You can add the Mackay Sea Eagles to NQ's list once they enter.

Another QLD team may come in some years time and take the remaining teams.

DIEHARD
27-10-05, 02:32 PM
You can add the Mackay Sea Eagles to NQ's list once they enter.

Another QLD team may come in some years time and take the remaining teams.

That would be the ideal situation. Maybe in 5-10 years we will see a Brisbane or Sunshine Coast team come into the competition. The two regions that I believe could field NRL sides.

But my mind is firmly GOLD COAST, GOLD COAST, GOLD COAST.

Seems the Titans actions in signing Tweed, Burliegh and Ipswich, led the Broncos into a bit of reactionary tactics, signing a group of clubs to themselves.

Good old Titans, already moving and shaking.

Steelers
27-10-05, 05:45 PM
That would be the ideal situation. Maybe in 5-10 years we will see a Brisbane or Sunshine Coast team come into the competition. The two regions that I believe could field NRL sides.

But my mind is firmly GOLD COAST, GOLD COAST, GOLD COAST.

Seems the Titans actions in signing Tweed, Burliegh and Ipswich, led the Broncos into a bit of reactionary tactics, signing a group of clubs to themselves.

Good old Titans, already moving and shaking.

The Sunshine Coast are taking suttle steps towards a possible NRL berth. We have a team entering the Mixwell Cup next season, we have a stadium being built in a few years at Kawana's Quad Park, and the region as a whole is growing. Our local competition is one of the strongest regional comps in Australia, with the likes of Allan Langer, Dan Staines and Noel Golthorpe still running around, and we have loads of junior talent to pick from. Hopefully we will have an NRL team in the future. But if it were to happen, it wouldn't happen until about at least 2015-2020

The Original Idiot
27-10-05, 06:31 PM
I can see Queensland with four or five teams about then, growing so fast.

Dakink
28-10-05, 07:53 AM
I think Brisbane needs a second team before the Sunshine Coast or any other QLD Region gets a license.

Queenslander
28-10-05, 08:11 AM
I think Brisbane needs a second team before the Sunshine Coast or any other QLD Region gets a license.

Agreed but the question is whether it will be a whole new team e.g. the chrushers or a old team from the QLD cup like the dolphins or possibly the jets....It might be time for Ipswich to get their own NRL team :)

Dakink
28-10-05, 09:36 AM
True hadnt thought about that...

What do you think would work better. A project done right like the Titans with no prior history which could attract all type of fans or one linked to a QLD cup club and have a ready made fan base but risk alienating a lot of existing fans.

I personally think going with an entirely new club is the way to go, though would for example if the Dolphins or Jets got a license would that stop other supporters following them?

The Original Idiot
28-10-05, 09:54 AM
Sunshine Coast will get a team before Ipswich, and Brisbane will get a second team before they do. ANZ Stadium is a big waste to me, 40000 seats and unused. Maybe that could be used again, or is Suncorp's pulling power too great?

Dakink
28-10-05, 11:18 AM
ANZ was the reason Brisbanes crowds dropped off in the first place. It is a horrible stadium with no atmosphere, seats too far away and bugger all public transport. They both should play out of Suncorp.

ridgey
28-10-05, 04:52 PM
there will never be a game of league played at ANZ Stadium again.there's more chance of it being bulldozed for resedential development than there is of it ever seeing league again.i think it will be years before the NRL look to grant another QLD team a license,personally i'd rather see teams in perth and adelaide again when the time is right too make this great game of ours the true national rugby league.