PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Rugby League: Great Aussie Victories

DIEHARD
30-12-06, 10:20 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/aussievictories

To celebrate Australia Day, Fox Sports is giving viewers a chance to watch their favourite Australian sporting victory by choosing from the eight great moments listed below.

Fox Sports will screen the top four selected on Jan 26. Vote for your favourite from the 8 events below by clicking here or by SMSing the letter of your choice (A, B, C, D, E, F, G or H) to 19SPORTS (19776787)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/images/e-rlt.jpg

Rugby league 2003 Australia v Great Britain, Ashes Game 1
The game started with a bang and then the hits just kept on coming. Adrian Morley was sent off after just 12 seconds but the game was far from over. Great Britain managed to hold on until some Darren Lockyer magic sealed the dramatic victory just before full-time for Australia.
click the image to vote

jenny
30-12-06, 10:23 PM
Just did Diehard..World cup, is up there 42%..league 11% at the moment

DIEHARD
30-12-06, 10:24 PM
Poll Results so far....

Soccer World Cup Qualifier - Australia v Uruguay 2005 47.78%
Rugby Union - Bledisloe Cup 2001 Game 2 10.88%
Cricket - World Cup 1999 Semi Final Aus v Sth Africa 12.88%
Basketball - FIBA Women's Final 2006 8.73%
Rugby League - Kangaroos 2003 Ashes Game 1 11.15%
Cricket - World Cup 2003 Final 2.8%
Rugby Union - Wallabies v Lions 2001 Game 2 4.15%
Cricket - Women's World Cup 2005 1.59%

Go rugby league! What an awesome effort. It would be cool if we could come 2nd and beat cricket, no chance of beating soccer.

Although I thought the Kangaroos victory over New Zealand in the Tri Nations final was a better game!

Social Loafer
30-12-06, 10:24 PM
Does anybody even remember the fulltime score in that match?

For the record, I voted:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/images/a-wcq.jpg
World Cup qualifier 2005,- Australia v Uruguay

The game that had every Australian on the edge of their seat, with fingernails firmly entrenched in between their teeth. After 32 years of World Cup misery, a loss in Montevideo and two periods of extra-time in Sydney, it all came down to a penalty shootout.

Steelers
30-12-06, 10:25 PM
This is the one I want to see:

OPTION C

http://www.foxsports.com.au/images/c-cwc.jpg

Cricket World Cup 1999 semi-final Australia v South Africa

One of Australia's most memorable cricket victories. All even and with just one run required to win, Lance Klusener on strike for South Africa. He hits a Damien Fleming ball and begins to run. No-one told Allan Donald that he had to run too!

Capital_Shark
30-12-06, 10:26 PM
Bloody hell, 5th behind womens basketball ffs. Thats appauling. Soccer will win this poll, and a union game will get in there, but if the league doesn't make a top 4 spot I'll be severly disappointed.

Steelers
30-12-06, 10:30 PM
Current results:

Football World Cup Qualifier - Australia v Uruguay 2005 - 47.58%
Cricket - World Cup 1999 Semi Final Aus v Sth Africa - 12.85%
Rugby League - Kangaroos 2003 Ashes Game 1 - 11.55%
Rugby Union - Bledisloe Cup 2001 Game 2 - 10.86%
Basketball - FIBA Women's Final 2006 - 8.67%
Rugby Union - Wallabies v Lions 2001 Game 2 - 4.11%
Cricket - World Cup 2003 Final - 2.77%
Cricket - Women's World Cup 2005 - 1.57%

EDIT: Sorry DIEHARD, didn't realise you had already posted the results :p Ah well, I put mine in order lol

Steelers
30-12-06, 10:31 PM
I don't want to see Union get in there. Who cares about seeing Australia win the Bledisloe cup. It wasn't a memorable moment in Australian sport, I can't even remember it!

DIEHARD
30-12-06, 10:34 PM
What about the America's Cup or Olympic memories.

Australia's showing at the 2000 games was memorable. We grew up as a nation at those games.

jenny
30-12-06, 10:36 PM

Australia's showing at the 2000 games was memorable. We grew up as a nation at those games.
We did to..I still have the tapes of the Opening and Closing..Still brings tears to my eyes..God they were great games.Our Country Looked so good. And is so good.How lucky are we?!?!

Steelers
30-12-06, 10:44 PM

Fox Sports are running a series on Olympic moments aren't they? And I think they didn't include America's Cup because most people don't want to watch a boat for a few hours waiting for the finish and celebrations that we have all seen in replays :p I wouldn't mind seeing the Womens Cricket WC final to be honest, would be something different, and I would actually watch it, unlike Union.

Capital_Shark
30-12-06, 10:53 PM
What about the America's Cup

Hands up yatching enthusiasts.... :nope:

Social Loafer
30-12-06, 11:04 PM
Hands up yatching enthusiasts.... :nope:

*raises hand*

Just had the Sydney to Hobart and was glued to the net for 2 days watching a live feed of the racing, are telling me you're not a fan?

DIEHARD
30-12-06, 11:25 PM
I'm a fan.

Titanium_BD1103
31-12-06, 09:37 AM
Sorry DIEHARD.... I love my league, but I love my football more... and the Socceroos win against Uruguay was one of the moments in sport that will stand out in my life.... I will remember that day always as the day that Australia as a nation finally embraced the game... :)

To be there with all those screaming fans and to hear the chanting and the full stadium was a dream for any football/soccer fan that was a long wait and since it's been a fun ride which at times has had it's downs, but I am loving the fact that football is finally starting to come of age in Australia... it deserves that, and it deserves top spot.

I would also really like, although from the voting it seems less likely, to see the FIBA Womens 2006 Final on there... as whilst I didn't see it at the time, it's rather important in Womens Basketball, as it finally placed us as a Basketball nation... and our girls in the WNBA finally have respect of those in America and Europe as true basketball talent... something that the likes of Lauren Jackson, Kristi Harrower, Tully Bevilaqua and Natalie Porter throughly deserve after years of hard work for much less recognition than their male counterparts... :)

The cricket WC game against South Africa in England is also pretty special as we came back from the dead in that game to show why Australia is such a great cricketing nation.

I do reckon the league game and the union game were rather good at the time, but considering I don't remember them now, I wouldn't call them our great Aussie sporting victories... as much as I love both sports.

To me great Aussie sporting moments are moments that define and catapult a sport into a new era... which the first 2 mention above have done and therefore IMO deserve to be shown... but there will always be conjecture over this sort of stuff, and that's what makes us all unique.

I agree with DIEHARD that the America's Cup or Cathy Freeman at the Games should be in there... or even the Hockeyroos or our fantastic Women's Netballers... as they also have produced great moments that changed the way Aussies viewed these sports... but I guess you can only pick 8.

Social Loafer
31-12-06, 09:42 AM
Sorry DIEHARD.... I love my league, but I love my football more... and the Socceroos win against Paraguay was one of the moments in sport that will stand out in my life....

I enjoyed the win over Uruguay more :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
31-12-06, 09:46 AM
Shoot... LOL thanks for that Schifty... it's 9am... too early to be typing... ;)

YES THE WIN AGAINST URUGUAY.... After that sadness of 2001... we came so close... that was agony... and then the victory of 2005.. sheer ecstasy.... :D :D

DIEHARD
31-12-06, 05:21 PM
I enjoyed the win over Uruguay more :laugh:

hahahaha

DIEHARD
31-12-06, 05:42 PM
Update....

Football World Cup Qualifier - Australia v Uruguay 2005 44.34%
Rugby League - Kangaroos 2003 Ashes Game 1 17.09%
Cricket - World Cup 1999 Semi Final Aus v Sth Africa 12.33%
Rugby Union - Bledisloe Cup 2001 Game 2 9.97%
Basketball - FIBA Women's Final 2006 8.36%
Rugby Union - Wallabies v Lions 2001 Game 2 3.58%
Cricket - World Cup 2003 Final 2.71%
Cricket - Women's World Cup 2005 1.58%

Come on let's keep it in the top four.

broncos#1
02-01-07, 08:16 PM
hey hey

just voted League coming secong to the Soccer World Cup Thing so it should be shown as long as we keep getting votes GO LEAGUE

Future Star
02-01-07, 08:49 PM
hey hey

just voted League coming secong to the Soccer World Cup Thing so it should be shown as long as we keep getting votes GO LEAGUE

Woot woot! League Pride, we can take the other sports :fence: :box: :fence:

DIEHARD
11-01-07, 07:39 AM
#### we are slipping!

Football World Cup Qualifier - Australia v Uruguay 2005 37.13%
Rugby Union - Bledisloe Cup 2001 Game 2 8.85%
Cricket - World Cup 1999 Semi Final Aus v Sth Africa 13.69%
Basketball - FIBA Women's Final 2006 13.31%
Rugby League - Kangaroos 2003 Ashes Game 1 11.66%
Cricket - World Cup 2003 Final 3.99%
Rugby Union - Wallabies v Lions 2001 Game 2 2.87%
Cricket - Women's World Cup 2005 8.45%

Gonzalez
11-01-07, 07:14 PM
I voted for the Socceroos WC Qualifier.

Capital_Shark
11-01-07, 07:38 PM
#### we are slipping!

Football World Cup Qualifier - Australia v Uruguay 2005 37.13%
Rugby Union - Bledisloe Cup 2001 Game 2 8.85%
Cricket - World Cup 1999 Semi Final Aus v Sth Africa 13.69%
Basketball - FIBA Women's Final 2006 13.31%
Rugby League - Kangaroos 2003 Ashes Game 1 11.66%
Cricket - World Cup 2003 Final 3.99%
Rugby Union - Wallabies v Lions 2001 Game 2 2.87%
Cricket - Women's World Cup 2005 8.45%

Women's basketball ffs?

And the Soccer game, I mean, yeah it was great we got into the world cup, but lets not forget its still only 100 or so minutes of kicking a ball back and forward then 2 good saves from our goalie and some bloke running around with his shirt off like it was him that won the game

Poida
11-01-07, 07:41 PM
Id vote 99 world cup but aussies tied it not won it lol.
Only reason they got through was superior run rate or some crap like that.
Sod it ill vote it anyway.

Social Loafer
11-01-07, 08:04 PM
Good to see plenty of people taking the piss and voting for the Womans cricket :laugh:

Future Star
11-01-07, 08:41 PM
Women's basketball ffs?

And the Soccer game, I mean, yeah it was great we got into the world cup, but lets not forget its still only 100 or so minutes of kicking a ball back and forward then 2 good saves from our goalie and some bloke running around with his shirt off like it was him that won the game

Womens Basketball is way more entertaining then Mens basketball, and it was the first time an Aussie b-ball team has won the world cup EVER!

AND SOCCER ROCKS!!!

Capital_Shark
11-01-07, 08:43 PM
Womens Basketball is way more entertaining then Mens basketball, and it was the first time an Aussie b-ball team has won the world cup EVER!

AND SOCCER ROCKS!!!

I'm not having a dig at women's basketball mate I know the girls are better than the boys.

And the most rocking that soccer does, is rock me off to sleep.

Future Star
11-01-07, 09:01 PM
I'm not having a dig at women's basketball mate I know the girls are better than the boys.

I love watching soccer, but hey - you don't have to.

DIEHARD
11-01-07, 09:51 PM

Haha good call.

DIEHARD
13-01-07, 03:04 PM
If no one else has noticed.

Someone or someones has been making a concerted effort to remove rugby league from the Top 4 of this poll.

Now magically Women's Cricket has beaten us. :ok: :ok:

Football World Cup Qualifier - Australia v Uruguay 2005 35.47%
Cricket - World Cup 1999 Semi Final Aus v Sth Africa 13.37%
Basketball - FIBA Women's Final 2006 13.0%
Cricket - Women's World Cup 2005 11.48%
Rugby League - Kangaroos 2003 Ashes Game 1 11.41%

DIEHARD
14-01-07, 07:36 AM
Cricket - Women's World Cup 2005 12.05%

We got some massive vote rigging here to knock rugby league out of the top 4.

Social Loafer
21-01-07, 10:40 AM
Woman's world cup in 2nd place with the opals in 3rd :laugh:

At least number 1 is legit.

Titanium_BD1103
21-01-07, 01:47 PM
We got some massive vote rigging here to knock rugby league out of the top 4.

I'm guessing that's all the AFL supporters... they were calling for votes on AFL forums too... so I am sure if they can't make the top 4, they'll ensure RL doesn't either.

I am glad to see the Opals victory is up there.. it deserves it as it's a true triumph... I mean it's not everyday we go out there and beat the world at the game of Basketball... that's more a US and Russian thing... so our girls doing that deserves the accolades IMO... :win: :win:

DIEHARD
21-01-07, 01:58 PM
I'm guessing that's all the AFL supporters... they were calling for votes on AFL forums too... so I am sure if they can't make the top 4, they'll ensure RL doesn't either.

I am glad to see the Opals victory is up there.. it deserves it as it's a true triumph... I mean it's not everyday we go out there and beat the world at the game of Basketball... that's more a US and Russian thing... so our girls doing that deserves the accolades IMO... :win: :win:

Actually the sole reason this is happening is because the people at womensport.com.au have started a campaign over the last couple of weeks to unfairly rig the poll results.

http://www.womensport.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=2984&nav_cat_id=-1&nav_top_id=-1&dsb=1367

Womens cricket was like 1.4% before they gave up their day jobs to go into a career of vote rigging.

Pretty sad.

Titanium_BD1103
21-01-07, 02:00 PM
Actually the sole reason this is happening is because the people at womensport.com.au have started a campaign over the last couple of weeks to unfairly rig the poll results.

http://www.womensport.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=2984&nav_cat_id=-1&nav_top_id=-1&dsb=1367

Womens cricket was like 1.4% before they gave up their day jobs to go into a career of vote rigging.

Pretty sad.

Oh well... that is their choice... you can't beat them, join them... :satan:

Seriously though... I would have the Top 4 like this

1. Socceroos vs Uruguay
2. Opals World Championship Victory
3. Australia World Cup win in 1999
4. Rugby League- Australia vs Great Britain

I think the first 3 are pretty important moments in Australian Sporting History... and the League would be too if we lost more often than we do in international rugby league.

DIEHARD
21-01-07, 02:30 PM
They should have put Kangaroos v Kiwis Tri Nations Final 2006.

Regarded as one of the best internationals ever.