PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Tigers won't wait for Prince

DeeGan
26-10-05, 08:33 AM
Tigers won't wait for Prince
By Jeff Dunne
October 26, 2005

THE Wests Tigers have warned their captain Scott Prince they will not wait to sign him if he elects to go on the open market next year.

Prince confirmed yesterday he would not begin genuine negotiations with the premiers until Feburary but he also revealed that testing the open market could be an option.

"I suppose the Tigers might be a bit nervous, I might wait until the end of June, I know they want to sign me as soon as possible," Prince told Sydney radio station 2KY yesterday.

"It might depend on what they have to offer. I have to worry about myself and my family, they're the most important to me."

Prince is off contract at the end of 2006 and the Tigers are hoping to re-sign him, scrumbase partner Benji Marshall and coach Tim Sheens.

Prince's manager Steve Robinson confirmed the June 30 deadline could come into play.

"There's a possibility we'll test the open market," Robinson said last night.

"It's been well recorded there's been some interest from the Gold Coast and a couple of other clubs have indicated they would like to talk if he goes on to the open market. But if he remains in Sydney there's no doubt he would stay with the Tigers."

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce is confident they will keep Prince but admits if it got to June 30 they would have to look at other options.

"Clearly our plan is to have Scott Prince as halfback at the Wests Tigers in 2006 and for a number of years after that. If we perceive that was not going to happen for any number of reasons then we would have an obligation to the club to pursue other options," Noyce said.

"But I'm comfortable with where it is, I understand Scott's priority is the future of his family. The biggest card we have to play is we are now a successful club and people will want to be a part of that."

Prince has put negotiations back until February so he can concentrate on the Kangaroos tour, where he will get first crack at the starting halfback position, have a rest when he returns and also play in the World Club Challenge against English champions Bradford.

The Daily Telegraph

"THE Wests Tigers have warned their captain Scott Prince they will not wait to sign him if he elects to go on the open market next year"

:D I am sure you will find the Wests Tigers will wait for Scott Prince in the new year. Empty threats are not going to help the re-signing of Prince ;)

The Tigers are more than a little concerned in losing their star halfback for 2007.

DeeGan

Queenslander
26-10-05, 10:10 AM
You are right DeeGan empty threats dont help the matter, if they really want him they should show what they are willing to offer to make sure that the open market doesnt get to him

Dakink
26-10-05, 10:59 AM
Im not so sure they are empty threats.

They cold be a little bluster but I think the Tigers have the set up and style of play that the no.7 isnt irreplaceable. I think MArshall would be a lot harder to replace.

Steelers
26-10-05, 04:01 PM
Those threats aren't as empty as you might think. If they realise that Prince is unlikely to stay with the Tigers, then they are going to want to snap up a replacement quick smart for the 2007 season.