PDA

View Full Version : Nonu says NRL is a possibility and The Bulldogs are his team

Titanium_BD1103
18-12-06, 09:57 AM
Well this is an article that has the whole of The Kennel and Bulldogs forums talking this morning, and all the Bulldogs fans calling talkback radio.... it's exciting to think about, and would be fantastic if it could occur... one of the stars of the All Blacks not only wants to play Rugby League, but also wants to play with the Dogs... :)

He is open to any offer, and I know he will get plenty from everywhere, but if it could occur, not only would it be massive for whichever club gets him, but massive for the game and attract new fans as well... I just hope it's our club that can entice him to join the RL ranks... :clap:

It will take some work, and will definitely ensure Shrek goes south and we lose a few juniors but IMO at this present time, that is worth it for someone like Nonu, because he is a real talent and would be a massive asset to the club.

Nonu eyes NRL
By James Phelps
December 18, 2006 12:00

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5336269,00.jpg
Interested in playing league...Ma'a Nonu plays beach footy at the weekend. / The Daily Telegraph

ALL BLACKS star Ma'a Nonu has dropped a bombshell by revealing his desire to play in the NRL after next year's rugby World Cup.

In a stunning development, the 104kg centre said he was a rugby league fan and wanted to test himself against Kangaroo centres Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper.

Nonu, 24, has previously expressed his desire to play rugby league and will talk to any NRL club interested in his signature.

The 14-Test veteran's contract with the New Zealand rugby union ends after next year's World Cup in France.

"It has got me interested again," said Nonu yesterday after starring for the Kiwis in the Beach Footy tournament at Maroubra.

"I played a bit of league back in school but it is not big over there.

"I will have to see how it goes back home. I am contracted to the All Blacks until next year but I am willing to talk to (NRL) clubs.

"I watch a lot of rugby league and really love the game. Over the past couple of days I have met some of the superstars I watch on TV.

"It has been awesome."

The Hurricanes hulk revealed he is a Bulldogs fan and would love to talk to the Belmore-based outfit.

Nonu is rated as one of the most damaging outside backs in world rugby and his possible defection would be a massive coup for the NRL.

'I support the Bulldogs," he said, adding he had family in Sydney. "Terry Lamb (former Canterbury five-eighth) was one of my heroes and I watch the boys every game.

"I'm not sure where I would play ? it would just be where I could step in."

NRL boss David Gallop believes the Kiwi colossus would be a success in league.

"He is obviously a class player,' he said.

"The intensity at both club and representative level (in the NRL) attracts these marquee players."

Future Star
18-12-06, 10:03 AM
A big centre, an obvious talent, and a seemingly nice guy.
I want him in.

Robbie_Dee
18-12-06, 12:44 PM
It'd be great to see him play league! Although it kind of looks like the tables have turned a bit, With Mat Rogers coming back to league, Lote being interested and now this bloke... Now league seem to be robbing Union of their talent, which is only fair, after all the players they took from league.

Future Star
18-12-06, 02:36 PM
It'd be great to see him play league! Although it kind of looks like the tables have turned a bit, With Mat Rogers coming back to league, Lote being interested and now this bloke... Now league seem to be robbing Union of their talent, which is only fair, after all the players they took from league.

The difference being League isn't targeting players to take - these people want to play League, so they find the clubs.

BrisbaneBroncosRule
18-12-06, 09:32 PM
Nonu, would be awesome to have in the NRL. I love watching him play Union.

Pale Ale Panther
18-12-06, 09:35 PM
if he played for the Bulldogs he'd be able to play Origin for NSW and for Australia if he wanted to, so lets hope if he dose come over its with the Warriors.

Capital_Shark
18-12-06, 09:39 PM
Here is my ignorance when it comes to rah rah, who the bloody hell is Ma'a Nonu? lol

Looks like a big strong lad though, I'd wonder how he'd fit into the Bulldogs cap however with their current list of players.

Future Star
18-12-06, 09:40 PM
if he played for the Bulldogs he'd be able to play Origin for NSW and for Australia if he wanted to, so lets hope if he dose come over its with the Warriors.

If i was him, I'd play for the Blues once, and then never play for them again so he can play for the Kiwis.
But there will be no questions over his eligibility, like the Fien Incident..

The Dave
20-12-06, 05:40 AM
He's rated as a poor tackler in rah rah though

Future Star
20-12-06, 05:53 PM
Whats rah rah??

And there are plenty of poor tacklers in the NRL..

Go_The_Doggies
21-12-06, 08:28 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He is staying ffs :( not going!!..TJ where is the option "I want him to stay in Union"!!..he can't leave..hes Tana JR..it wouldnt be the Hurricanes..or the Lions..even maybe the All Blacks without him!!

I'll cry if he goes ffs..........maybbe...

But I like how he supports the Doggies. <3

Social Loafer
21-12-06, 09:09 PM
Here is my ignorance when it comes to rah rah, who the bloody hell is Ma'a Nonu? lol

Looks like a big strong lad though, I'd wonder how he'd fit into the Bulldogs cap however with their current list of players.

Good to see another person in Canberra that doesn't care about the Brumbies/Union :laugh:

The Dave
22-12-06, 02:10 AM
Whats rah rah??

Union

Future Star
22-12-06, 10:15 AM
Union
Why not just say Rugby??

Go_The_Doggies
22-12-06, 11:03 AM
If Ma'a..or Piri..or BOTH leave..at first i'll be a little cry baby and through a hissy fit..and be angry at them.......but then i'll slowly get over it and cheer them on.