PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne's New Stadium

Super Cronk
02-11-05, 12:38 PM
MELBOURNE-based Cox Architects & Planners has been chosen to design a new "state of the art" sports stadium at Olympic Park in Melbourne.

The stadium, expected to cost $100 million, will provide Melbourne with an international standard facility catering specifically for top-level rugby union, rugby league and soccer matches.

The new rectangular-pitch stadium, with 18,000 to 20,000 seats, will be home to the Melbourne Storm National Rugby League Club and soccer club Melbourne Victory.

The firm has previously designed the Rod Laver Tennis Centre and the northern stand of the MCG.

The architectural firm is also active in overseas markets, including Malaysia, where it designed components of a large urban redevelopment, Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

Its last commission in the project, the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, will be officially opened soon.

The $220 million centre, catering for more than 3000 delegates in a single seating, adjoins the Petronas twin towers, Malaysia's best known high-rise landmark.

The Cox Group has also designed an accompanying 590-room hotel that will open for trading in the new year.

melbournestorm.com.au

Cant wait for this staduim to get underway and see the final product...then hopefully it helps the storm with crowd etc.

Dakink
02-11-05, 01:17 PM
Fantastic - This will help Melbourne no ends!!!

How good are some of the suburban grounds that the NRL plays on starting to look.

Robina, Olympic Park, Dairy Farmers just to name a few... And then you have ones like WIN and Parra stadium.

The Original Idiot
02-11-05, 02:58 PM
Many people labelled the old Olympic Park as the worst rugby stadium to go to. This will help a lot.

DIEHARD
02-11-05, 03:40 PM
The new Olympic Park will be a jewel in the rugby league crown. Olympic Park even though it is an awful ground has amazing atmosphere.

More rectangular grounds showing off rugby league in the best way is the way forward.

Finally we will have top class facilities. The Storm's future is secure.

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 12:47 PM
DESIGNERS of a big-ticket sports stadium in Melbourne are promising an iconic venue to help lure large crowds to soccer and rugby.

The new Olympic Park stadium could be "wrapped in its skin" with a futuristic design to set it apart from the city's existing stadiums according to Cox Architects.

The firm, one of the five architectural groups behind the MCG's $434 million northern stand, has won the contract to design the new venue.

Intended to replace the existing Olympic Park stadium, the new centre will initially seat about 20,000 with room to grow by an extra 5000 seats.

Offering some early insights into how it might appear, Cox director Jonathan Gardiner said seating would be concentrated on the wings of the field.

He said that while existing Melbourne stadiums "really express their structure" with trusses and cables visually prominent in the design, the new Olympic Park venue was likely to be different.

Unlike the last three stadiums built in central Melbourne, it will not feature a retractable roof.

The stadium could help bolster the fortunes of its principle tenants, the Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Victory rugby league and soccer clubs, Mr Gardiner said.

"It really does need to be sustainable, not just environmentally, but in terms of the health of the codes that are playing out of it," he said.

"The history of rugby league, for instance, in this state is not particularly long yet.

"We would like this to be this city's way of saying these codes are important to us.

"The whole design will be based around getting people as close to the action as possible. You can no longer just put a game on and throw a few seats around a boundary and hope that people will come."

The Melbourne Demons, Australia's oldest football club, will also train at the country's newest world class sports stadium, to open in 2008.

Mr Gardiner said the elite training centre would take Collingwood Football Club's much-vaunted Lexus Centre nearby "the next step".

Dining areas and bars will also be features of the new venue, to be built on a 50,000 sqm site between the existing stadium and Gosch's Paddock, to the east.

Though it has been trumpeted as a $100 million project, Mr Gardiner said the final cost would not be known until the State Government decided on a design.

The stadium will do away with the athletics track which currently separates Olympic Park spectators from the action.

The fate of the existing stadium, built for the 1956 Olympics, had not been decided, Mr Gardiner said.

"I know that the Olympic Park (Trust) is looking at some options for that site with the government," he said.

The venue will also provide a new option for concert and special event promoters, already spoilt for choice in Melbourne.

With its 20,000-25,000 capacity, it would hold more than the two arenas at neighbouring Melbourne Park that seat about 15,000 and 11,000 respectively.

melbournestorm.cm.au

Queenslander
09-11-05, 12:49 PM
This is a good thing for league in Melbourne :thumbsup: , Lets not have any Melbourne bashers saying "its no point for a big stadium if they cant draw a crowd" cause thats just plain stupid, look at Souths using Telstra stadium, it will be so empty u could hear a pin drop.

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 12:51 PM
This is a good thing for league in Melbourne :thumbsup: , Lets not have any Melbourne bashers saying "its no point for a big stadium if they cant draw a crowd" cause thats just plain stupid, look at Souths using Telstra stadium, it will be so empty u could hear a pin drop.

Yeah but they are making the new staduim to attract more people. Olympic park is just an awful ground from what ive heard from friends that been there...i have seen pics of teh seats aswell..your knees are touching the seat in front...very uncomfortable. hopefully the new look and facilities will encourage some of the old diehard fans to come back and start supporting the storm. aswell as some new ones.

Dakink
09-11-05, 12:52 PM
Fantastic news for the Storm and Victory. Will help boost the Storm's crowds. I like the line;

"We would like this to be this city's way of saying these codes are important to us.

"The whole design will be based around getting people as close to the action as possible. You can no longer just put a game on and throw a few seats around a boundary and hope that people will come."

Getting people close to the action is one of the best ways to promnote our game down there. Currently people are way to far away at Olympic Park. When this is built I think Ill make a trek down there to go to a Melbourne game and see the new stadium.

Teegy
09-11-05, 01:01 PM
Im not going to say that you wont draw a crowd. ill wait and see the results.

Dakink
09-11-05, 01:07 PM
Melbourne will be a success and the NRL MUST do whatever it taked to ensure that. Even if it means salary cap concessions etc. The AFL would never let an expansion team die - look at Sydney and Brisbane - both were given huge advantages to suceed and they have. Both will need ongoing help but that is part of expanding into non traditional territory.

If we dont we may as well give up and call ourselves the East Coast Rugby League.

I hope they become another Brisbane and become regularly competitive with a good off field following.

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 01:11 PM
Melbourne will be a success and the NRL MUST do whatever it taked to ensure that. Even if it means salary cap concessions etc. The AFL would never let an expansion team die - look at Sydney and Brisbane - both were given huge advantages to suceed and they have. Both will need ongoing help but that is part of expanding into non traditional territory.

If we dont we may as well give up and call ourselves the East Coast Rugby League.

I hope they become another Brisbane and become regularly competitive with a good off field following.

next year we will be seeing some more funding and more work going into promoting league down there by the NRL and the storm. just hope that we can get back upto the good crowd days of 98-00....this staduim plus funding and other junior league delvelopments will help grow the game down there.

Teegy
09-11-05, 01:11 PM
So i other words do everything to help melbourne even if it means to merge a sydney team with them????????? same as AFL did with Brisbane

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 01:12 PM
So i other words do everything to help melbourne even if it means to merge a sydney team with them????????? same as AFL did with Brisbane

no. they need help but merging with a sydney team shouldnt be the answer. The NRL wants a team in melbourne, the team is competitive on field, now we need to be competitive off field...and in the near future we shall see how its looking.

Dakink
09-11-05, 01:16 PM

If thats what it needed to make a success then yes. The AFL werent afraid of the hard decisions and neither should we. Having said tha there is no need for a Sydney team to merge, Melbourne will be a success on its own given time and proper support facilities, which it is now getting.

Queenslander
09-11-05, 02:11 PM

This should only occur if the NRL wants to get rid of some sydney teams (but this will never happen). However if a sydney club wants to merge because its in financial trouble or any other niggles then i would say no. Plus i couldnt stand having the Melbourne Rabbitohs, it should always remain the Storm :thumbsup:

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 02:16 PM
This should only occur if the NRL wants to get rid of some sydney teams (but this will never happen). However if a sydney club wants to merge because its in financial trouble or any other niggles then i would say no. Plus i couldnt stand having the Melbourne Rabbitohs, it should always remain the Storm :thumbsup:

Agree totally....well kinda..i dont want a merge. but if both clubs were in big financial trouble and it meant kicked out or merge then i wouldnt mind. but other wise...no.

i think the NRL should continue with what they started, and they seem to be putting more effort into the storm lately.

Dakink
09-11-05, 02:31 PM
No Sydney teams will ever merge with the Storm - they will always be a stand alone entity as Melburnians will never willingly associate with a team that is part Melbourne part Sydney.

The Storm is all Melbourne and WILL be a success in the years to come - the NRL is not going to let them fail.

Research Station Drive
09-11-05, 03:33 PM
All I can think is:

If you build it, they will come...

Hope it works for the Storm! :ok:

Lennox Titan
10-11-05, 10:30 AM

And Broncos using Suncorp for a semi and drawing only 25,000. Happens a lot.

Queenslander
10-11-05, 07:23 PM
And Broncos using Suncorp for a semi and drawing only 25,000. Happens a lot.

This year the broncos had an average crowd of 30000, souths had less than 10000 i think..........30000/52500 is better than 10000/80000.

The Original Idiot
10-11-05, 08:13 PM
Melbourne will be a success and the NRL MUST do whatever it taked to ensure that. Even if it means salary cap concessions etc. The AFL would never let an expansion team die - look at Sydney and Brisbane - both were given huge advantages to suceed and they have.
And Melbourne haven't succeeded? This move should have happened ages ago, who wants to play in a 50-year-old stadium.

Dakink
11-11-05, 10:25 AM
Sorry I meant an off field success.

Christabella
11-11-05, 10:51 AM
Yeah but they are making the new staduim to attract more people. Olympic park is just an awful ground from what ive heard from friends that been there...i have seen pics of teh seats aswell..your knees are touching the seat in front...very uncomfortable. hopefully the new look and facilities will encourage some of the old diehard fans to come back and start supporting the storm. aswell as some new ones.
While I agree with you on the eagerly anticipating the new facillities in Melbourne I must point out that Olympic Park is by no means the worst stadium. It's actually a lot more comfortable than many of the Sydney suburban grounds and while the athletics track does put some distance between the stands and the ground it's nothing in comparison with watching football at the Showground (thank God that is no more) or Carrara.

In fact due the highly annoying 2006 draw I am leading towards avoiding Carrara in favour of Melbourne.

It will be a good thing when both teams have new stadiums.

Dakink
11-11-05, 04:31 PM
Very true but in Sydney League is a tradition. In Melbourne Im sure people would turn up to crap stadia to watch AFL.

League Freak
13-11-05, 01:54 AM
Ths thing about Melbourne is they get NO media coverage, NO promotion and they play out of the worst stadium in porfessional sport in Australia!

Give them a nice stadium and you'll help their crowds right away.

You know, Souths get a heap of media attention, they play in the biggest Rugby League city in the world, they;ve been around for nhearly 100 years, they play out of a made for Rugby League stadium....and they havent got much on the Storm as far as crowds go.

Give the Storm a chance.

DIEHARD
21-09-06, 08:13 PM
Victory makes leap from park to stadium

Underperforming A-League franchises have been put on notice after the Melbourne Victory raised domestic soccer's credibility bar to new heights with its move to the 50,000-seat Telstra Dome.

The Victory will play six of its eight remaining home games this season at Telstra Dome, deciding to shift matches from the 18,000-seat Olympic Park because it is now too small.

The club was tapped on the shoulder by Telstra Dome management after it attracted nearly 40,000 fans for its match against Sydney FC earlier this month and was offered a sweetheart deal to transfer most of its games there.

Victory officials have sold more than 10,000 club memberships, and were forced to turn hundreds of fans away from a sold-out Olympic Park last weekend.

The league leader's next match at Telstra Dome will be on Sunday week against the second-placed Queensland Roar.

"It's fantastic. The Victory has really got its act together this year," Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill said of the move.

"Clearly the message is if you're doing well on the park, people will come."

While Melbourne, Sydney FC and Queensland are now attracting impressive crowds in top-class stadia, New Zealand, Perth, Newcastle and Central Coast have struggled for attendances this year.

O'Neill confirmed on Thursday the FFA does have the power to move franchises that aren't up to scratch in certain performance criteria despite all clubs holding five-year licences.

But he pointed out the sport's national governing body was pleased with the vast majority of its clubs and would have a clearer idea by the end of November how well they were travelling.

"If a licensee hands back the licence, or if they're in breach such that the FFA takes the licence back, the FFA could move the licence to another city," O'Neill said.

"The three big cities with big stadia - Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne now with Telstra Dome, fantastic.

"Perth's getting better ... they will start to get over the 10,000 crowd mark very shortly.

"Gosford, Newcastle, Adelaide, they're smaller cities and smaller venues so you've got to work harder to get over 10,000.

"But I'd be keener to pass judgement in six weeks' time because we've got to get the NRL and AFL out of the way, and then we're into clear space and we'll be ramping up the marketing."

The only Victory home matches to remain at Olympic Park will be the clash with Newcastle on November 26, and the game against the struggling New Zealand Knights on December 17.

Source: NINEMSN

OK I realise this is soccer related, but will this effect the proposed new Olympic Park II stadium that will house the Storm and Victory. I hope he has no effect at all. And the Storm and Victory could still use Telstra Dome for bigger matches but call OP2 home.

I'd hate to see the Storm and rugby league miss out on getting a fully rectangular stadium in the heart of Melbourne, it would break my heart.

Social Loafer
21-09-06, 09:57 PM
Hasn't the design and construction schedule been confirmed?

DIEHARD
22-09-06, 12:23 AM
Hasn't the design and construction schedule been confirmed?

As far as I know, yep.

philstorm
22-09-06, 12:58 AM
Don't see why it should, really.

Construction should start in early 2008 methinks. Can't wait for it to be up!

Anyway, the Telstra Dome deal is just for this year? Don't see why it should affect where the Victory play in 09.

Dakink
22-09-06, 05:10 AM
I think it is a done deal, The Storm need a new home and I have a feeling their crowds will sky rocket when housed in a decent stadia.

Capital_Shark
22-09-06, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty sure its all a done deal now anyway and soccer doesn't have enough push yet to warrant making drastic changes. There is argument for the whole 'riding the world cup wave' when it comes to crowds. Not to mention the lack of Victorian teams going well in the AFL.

O'Neill confirmed on Thursday the FFA does have the power to move franchises that aren't up to scratch in certain performance criteria despite all clubs holding five-year licences.

Doubt they'll be jumping the gun and making changes to OPII if there is the chance the Victory have a couple horror years and get moved.

Hoppy2007Dragons
22-09-06, 02:45 PM
Hopefully Melbourne Storm won't get jibbed too much with this proposal.

Eel 33
24-09-06, 01:26 PM
Well if they are jibbed, if i were David Gallop and Brian Waldron, id be after some sort of compensation from the FFA. Amounting too what, i don't know.

Titanium_BD1103
25-09-06, 10:41 AM
Well if they are jibbed, if i were David Gallop and Brian Waldron, id be after some sort of compensation from the FFA. Amounting too what, i don't know.

I willl say nothing else because I am a Sydney FC supporter, but to say welcome to the world of the Melbourne Victory, who couldn't care less about anyone else except themselves.

The Storm should still get their stadium though, and here's hoping the Victorian Government gives it to them, because they deserve it, regardless of what might occur between the Victory and the Dome.

DIEHARD
17-12-06, 05:10 PM
Melbourne needs bigger rectangular stadium

http://www.austadiums.com/news/images/melbourne_stadium2.jpg

A new $190 million 20,000-seat soccer and rugby league stadium at Melbourne's Olympic Park is facing an overhaul before it is even built amid concerns that it is not big enough.

Melbourne Victory Football Club and the Melbourne and Olympic Park Trust are working on a plan for an alternative stadium for up to 30,000.
The State Government announced plans for a futuristic bubble-shaped stadium, to be built by 2009, in April.

The stadium was to initially seat 20,000 but be able to be extended to 25,000.

But fears are growing the stadium could be a white elephant -- virtually obsolete before it is even built.

Key tenant Melbourne Victory is averaging crowds of more than 32,000 a match in seven homes games at Telstra Dome this season.

Victory chief executive Geoff Miles would not reveal details of the alternative, but said the issue was likely to be resolved within "the next few weeks".

A spokesman for new Major Projects Minister Theo Theophanous said he had already met with Melbourne Victory.

Herald Sun

Queenslander
14-01-07, 01:42 PM
Doubt over Melbourne's rectangular stadium

Planning for Melbourne's proposed new rectangular sports stadium is in disarray, with the State Government in a quandary over seating capacity, budget blow-outs and threats of compensation claims by rival venue Telstra Dome.

Well-placed sources have confirmed that the new home for A-League soccer club Melbourne Victory and National Rugby League side Melbourne Storm was close to being scrapped by the Government late last year and does not have the support of senior cabinet members.

Construction giant Grocon yesterday said it believed a Government review of the size and budget of the multimillion-dollar project had put it on hold.

In April, Premier Steve Bracks revealed a scheme by Cox Architects to build a 20,000-seat, $190 million stadium at Edwin Flack field, next to Olympic Park. Builders Grocon, Baulderstone Hornibrook, Abi Group and Leighton were invited to bid.

But now the Government is under intense pressure to increase capacity because of Victory's success and popularity. The club has dominated the A-League and has attracted average crowds of 30,000 in the seven matches it has played at Telstra Dome since quitting the smaller Olympic Park earlier this season.

This week the Government wrote to the bidders flagging an increase in the stadium size and budget.

In the letter, a Major Projects Victoria officer said the Government was "still finalising the overall capacity" that would "allow the final funding arrangements to be finalised". Under the tender deal, a contract was to be let by March 1 and construction finished in 2009. But the letter acknowledges there will be a "delay" in moving to the next stage of the tender process.

Victory has told the Government that a 20,000-seat stadium would be obsolete before it was built, and an embarrassment.

It has not yet signed a deal with the Government to make the new stadium its home and is being hotly courted by Telstra Dome.

The team will play its home matches at Telstra Dome until the end of the 2008-09 season.

Despite the Government brief seeking bids on a stadium with a capacity of 20,000, at least two of the builders have proposed 30,000-seat schemes.

Victory is believed to want a minimum capacity of at least 30,000, which would allow it to play most games at the new venue but move blockbusters to the larger Telstra Dome.

Worsening the predicament is a deal the Government struck with Telstra Dome during the early planning for the Docklands venue. Telstra Dome can seek compensation if the Government opens a stadium of 25,000 or more seats within 10 years of its opening in 2000.

The new stadium's future is looking increasingly uncertain, with senior Government, sporting and building industry sources agreeing that Spring Street is "in a pickle".

"They've painted themselves into a fine old corner," one development source said.

A Government insider confirmed that a seating capacity of 27,750 could be accommodated in the existing Cox design. But greater size would require a total redesign and create a huge cost blow-out.

The project, believed to have been initially costed at $80 million and last year officially at $190 million, is now believed to be edging towards $250 million.

Sources say bureaucrats working on the project have gone back to the Government, seeking more money to cover an expansion.

"Obviously, if we build more seats more money will be required, yes," a senior Government source said.

Without Victory, which would play a minimum of 10 home A-League matches a season plus high-profile Asian Champions League matches, the project looks doomed.

Government, building industry and sporting sources agree it is highly unlikely the Government would spend so much money for a stadium for rugby league games attracting an average crowd of about 10,500.

Grocon spokeswoman Jane Wilson the company looked forward to the Government resolving its capacity and financial issues soon.

Government spokesman Licardo Prince said Melbourne Victory's success had affected crowd numbers. He said the Government was discussing capacity issues with tenderers but remained committed to a 20,000-seat stadium, with scope to expand to 25,000.

Telstra Dome chief Ian Collins declined to comment.

Some sports industry observers believe the simplest solution would be to spend a much smaller sum refurbishing Olympic Park for Melbourne Storm and other tenants. Soccer could be catered for through the construction of a 40,000-plus stadium elsewhere that could also host Socceroo matches against high-profile opponents.

Royce Millar and Michael Lynch
The Age

Steelers
14-01-07, 01:49 PM
Let's hope that this can sort itself out quickly and get this stadium built ASAP. The Storm need a new stadium, and I am sure that the Victory would want a rectangular stadium alot more than the Dome.

Casey's Angel27
14-01-07, 02:17 PM
I really hope we get the new stadium... Then the Storm can attract more people to the games and we will have a higher average attendance... I hope

DIEHARD
22-02-07, 01:43 PM
30,000 goal for stadium

Melbourne's proposed rectangular stadium could yet be increased to 30,000 seats, but soccer officials concede that figure is the maximum Melbourne Victory fans can hope for at their new home ground.

Sunday night's crowd of 55,436 at Telstra Dome for the A-League grand final highlighted the concerns of soccer officials, who fear the Victory's growing popularity could be stymied under the original plans for a new stadium capable of housing 20,000 to 25,000 spectators.

After pressure from the Victory and soccer officials, the State Government has investigated ways to increase the capacity to 27,500. The Football Federation of Australia asked the Government to consider a 30,000 capacity and the Government has agreed to investigate.

Premier Steve Bracks said yesterday that a resolution on the stadium size was close.

Football Federation Australia head of operations Matt Carroll said it would not waste its time lobbying for anything larger than a 30,000-seat stadium because "it's just not going to happen".

Source: TheAge.com.au

DIEHARD
22-02-07, 01:44 PM
Victory stance grounds for war

THE Victoria Government has threatened to seek a rival A-League team for Melbourne if Melbourne Victory snubs a planned new rectangular stadium and signs with Telstra Dome.

Major projects minister Theo Theophanous said last night the state government would approach Football Federation Australia to bring a second team to Melbourne if Victory refused to commit to the $190 million rectangular stadium the government plans to build at Edwin Flack Field.
The threat comes after talks between Victory and the government failed to resolve the deadlock over the proposed stadium, which would house the NRL's Melbourne Storm, the AFL's Melbourne and, the government hopes, the A-League's Victory.

Theophanous confirmed last night that Victory chairman Geoff Lord had suggested to him this week that the government abandon the planned stadium and instead spend $50 million modifying Telstra Dome to better showcase sports that use rectangular playing fields.

The government rejected the proposal and Theophanous reaffirmed its commitment to building the new stadium, at an increased size of at least 27,500 seats.

"I made it clear to him that we would be building the stadium," Theophanous said.

He said he would not let Victory's "sweetheart arrangement" with Telstra Dome stop the government building the stadium, which is already months behind schedule.

"If Melbourne Victory does not want to go in, we would approach the FFA and if, soccer continued to be popular, ask them to consider a second team," Theophanous said.

"We would approach the FFA and see if there is a potential for a second team for Melbourne."

Theophanous said the FFA had to sign off on any deal done by the Victory, and his understanding was the FFA supported building a specialised stadium for sports that required a rectangular pitch.

The privately owned Melbourne Victory was founded by Lord two seasons ago.

After winning this season's A-League minor premiership, Victory will host the grand final on Sunday week in a game which is expected to see more than 50,000 fans packed into Telstra Dome.

Victory, which this season moved from the 16,000-capacity Olympic Park to Telstra Dome because of increased crowds, initially supported a new 20,000-seat stadium.

But it now says a much bigger stadium is needed, as it averages 30,000 fans a game.

The government promises to expand the venue to hold 27,500 fans have so far failed to break the negotiations deadlock.

Lord refused to detail his preferred choice of stadium.

But he said he had suggested to the Government it keep the $150 million it had promised for the rectangular stadium, and instead spend it on health, water or education services.

"It was an idea, one of several discussed," Lord said.

"It was only one option but the point was made the money could be redeployed on water, health and education.
"The government was non-committal."

Lord said the government could instead spend $50 million reconfiguring Telstra Dome, where Victory plans to play its next two seasons.
He said with the AFL due to take over Telstra Dome in 2025, the government would need to seek permanent access arrangements at the Dome, and sub-lease to clubs such as Victory.

"We asked for a 40,000-seat stadium," he said. "I think the government is probably of the view to build a smaller one.

"Some people say, 'If you're going to have a smaller stadium, you can just put the prices up'. But our members and supporters come first for us."
Under an A-League agreement, no second team can be brought into Melbourne until after 2010.

But this is unlikely to worry the government as the planned stadium would not be completed until at least 2009.

A clause that requires compensation to be paid to Telstra Dome if a large stadium is built in Melbourne expires in 2010.

Victory attracted an A-League record 50,033 fans to the round 16 match against Sydney FC at the Dome in December.

Last Sunday 47,400 watched the club clinch its place in the grand final with a 2-1 triumph against Adelaide United.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Old Diehard
23-02-07, 11:15 AM
I really hope we get the new stadium... Then the Storm can attract more people to the games and we will have a higher average attendance... I hope
With people continued migration to Melbourne from NSW,Qld,NZ & South Africa rugby (both codes) should increase in popularity & attendance....as for born and breed Victorians who knows. Juniors figures are increasing there (but worringly not at the same rate Aussie Rules juniors figures are in Qld!), but pleasingly reading the South East Queensland Stingers magazine (junior rugby league here)- girls rugby league at schools is increasing in popularity (and that should encourage the boys to play!). The Vic Government will only be swayed by how many votes are in for them ( God I am cynical about politicians- except for blokes like Terry MacKenroth who I gave a big wrap this week! in the forum ) OK I admit I vote labor so Terry Mackenroth (even though he supports that Stones Corner Mob) is cool.

DIEHARD
23-02-07, 11:42 AM
The hard work of the rugby league to grow rugby league in Victoria is paying off, with participation up from 4,000 to 26,000 over the last year. There are also some other moves being planned that will make fans happy in Victoria.

DIEHARD
01-03-07, 02:47 PM
Victory nets stadium goal

A rectangular stadium capable of catering for up to 34,000 will be the Victoria Government's final offer in the 18-month row over the Melbourne's newest sports arena.
A Cabinet sub-committee will this week receive a proposal for the Government to pay for the new stadium, at a cost of more than $200 million.

It is believed the plan would include seating for 31,000 people.

Standing room for up to another 3000 people would be considered after the stadium was built.

Major Projects Minister Theo Theophanous refused to confirm any specifics of the design

But Mr Theophanous said the Government had agreed to consider a larger stadium after a request from Football Federation Australia.

The Government agreed 18 months ago to build a 20,000-seat stadium at Olympic Park to host Melbourne Storm rugby league team, Melbourne Victory football team and the Melbourne AFL team.

But Victory's success this year drew big crowds, and the club had refused to sign up to the new stadium, pushing for a much larger venue with a capacity somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000.

The Government was frustrated with Victory, saying the club had reneged on its original agreement. Storm and the Demons were also angered by delays to the building of their new home ground, planned for Edwin Flack Field, in the sports area near the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

There was also concern the Government's new stadium could not match the cut-price deal being offered to Victory by cross-town rival Telstra Dome, which hosted several Victory games, including the grand final that drew more than 55,000 two weeks ago.

The deal is thought to have included a sweetener in which Telstra Dome would not bill Victory for 9000 people who attended each game, meaning the club could significantly improve its financial returns on the cost of the tickets it sells to those people.

But it now appears likely a compromise will be reached and Victory will sign for the stadium, which is already behind schedule.

The Government is thought to be reluctant to include standing areas, for security and safety reasons.

But it's believed it may agree to include them after consulting the clubs and police.

"The Government is looking at all options and is in very close negotiations with Melbourne Victory and Football Federation of Australia about the size of the new stadium," Mr Theophanous said.

"We are looking at an increase in the size of the stadium at the request of the FFA.

"The FFA has asked us to look at a large size and we've done a lot of detailed analysis of that."

Mr Theophanous would not reveal what offers the Government had made to the Victory.

Asked if the Government could match the Telstra Dome offers, the minister said: "We will not provide the stadium at a completely non-commercial basis."

The potential compromise deal appeared to mean the Government would abandon its threat to push for a second A-League team for Melbourne if Victory refused to sign up.

Ellen WhinnettHerald Sun

http://www.austadiums.com/

DIEHARD
04-03-07, 04:40 PM
Victory for a bigger stadium

A NEW-look sports stadium for Melbourne will be announced today.

The redesigned stadium -- to seat 31,500 fans if Melbourne Victory come on board or 27,750 without the soccer club -- will be unveiled by Premier Steve Bracks.
The announcement will end more than 18 months' speculation over the stadium.

The Government will today announce its preferred bidder for the Olympic Park project.

Detailed talks will then begin immediately over construction, with the deal expected to be finalised within a few weeks.

Melbourne Victory has so far refused to sign up to the new ground because it wants a 40,000-plus venue.

"If Victory is not with us then it will be frozen out for good," a government source warned yesterday.

The 27,750-seater option will cost $256 million, with most money coming from the government.

The 31,500-capacity option, including Victory as one of the tenants, is understood to cost a few million dollars more.

The new stadium, due to be finished in 2009, will not differ significantly from the original 20,000-capacity design.

But it is likely the stands will be extended towards the pitch sidelines and additional seats will be fitted behind each goal.

The announcement will place immense pressure on Victory.

Telstra Dome, which has hosted several Victory games this year, has offered the champions a cut-price deal to stay there for 10 years.

But that could leave Victory playing most games in a half-full stadium not designed for soccer.

And the expected arrival of a second Melbourne team in the A-League in 2010, playing in the new purpose-built rectangular stadium, could signal a mass exodus of Victory fans.

The Government has said it is happy for Victory to switch to the MCG or Telstra Dome for blockbuster matches, such as games against Sydney FC, if it chooses Olympic Park as its main base.

Government sources said the stadium could also host a Melbourne rugby union team if the Super 14 expands again.

"This is the best possible stadium for fans of soccer, rugby league and rugby union," a government source said yesterday.

"We have made it clear that we will go ahead with or without the Victory."

Source: http://www.NEWS.COM.AU

Sideline Eye
04-03-07, 07:48 PM
The new Olympic Park will be a jewel in the rugby league crown. Olympic Park even though it is an awful ground has amazing atmosphere.

More rectangular grounds showing off rugby league in the best way is the way forward.

Finally we will have top class facilities. The Storm's future is secure.
Why spend all that money for a ground that will only hold 18,000-20,000? thats ridiculous for mine. Melbourne is a one city team and the city has a population of at least 2 million maybe more. The old North Sydney oval only held 20,000 max and it was one of the reasons Norths wanted to move to the Central Coast. In a city the size of Melbourne you need a ground with a 30,000 capacity at least. Melbourne Victory will draw more than 30,000 every week they play there. Good move Melbourne build an all seater holding 18-20 thousand duh.

Diehard I just read your last post. Thats more like it 31,500 would be excellent.

Old Diehard
04-03-07, 10:27 PM
I think the people of Melbourne are very lucky- a new stadium on the go and a very talented Rugby League team. Bellamy's side for the most part is young and with Greg Inglis and now Israel Falou, the future is very bright for them on the field. And now a new field to draw the crowd.
The old Northern Storm Development System has paid benefits for the Melbourne storm but I regret to say that is finished as the Storm has cut it's ties there (and that may come back to bite them) . The latest protege, 17 year old ,Israel Falou apparently started his footy career at the feeder club, Norths St Josephs, so why would you ruin a good thing particularly when you're are benfiting from it (only Waldron would know).

Incidently Norths, Valleys , Brighton, Samford, Albany Creek, Norths St Josephs, Banyo and Aspley juniors were all Northern Storm Development clubs and I couldn't list all the players that came from them into the Storm (because their is just too many). It's just a shame that Melbourne Storm doesn't see a future in continueing it's ties with clubs up here.

DIEHARD
04-03-07, 11:05 PM
Yea it seems ridiculous to me that the Storm would abandon such a gold mine.

Norths would be an asset to any NRL club.

Capital_Shark
04-03-07, 11:13 PM
Spot on Old Diehard, Storm has gotten an absolute ton of talent out of its association with Norths, why you'd sever that I have no idea, at least not until Victoria was producing its own quality juniors.

Your right about the Storm's future looking so bright as well. A young squad that went so well and so close last year, has plenty of time to learn, but doesn't seem to have a great deal to learn in that time. Provided things out of their control such as injuries, suspensions etc. are kind to them, they should be hoisting a premiership trophy above their heads in the next couple seasons, if not this one.

DIEHARD
05-03-07, 03:34 PM
Foundations for 50,000 fans

MELBOURNE'S new soccer and rugby league stadium will be designed so it can be expanded to seat 50,000 fans.

The plan to ensure that the stadium's foundations will allow its expansion followed Victory's refusal to play at the new stadium unless it could seat at least 40,000.
The stands will be built to seat 27,750, but that will be increased to 31,000 if the Victory agrees to play there.

The $256 million stadium at Edwin Flack Field, in the Olympic Park area, will be built by Grocon.

Under FIFA rules, international soccer games must be held at stadiums which can seat at least 40,000.

Major Projects Minister Theo Theophanous said that by ensuring the foundations could accommodate an expansion to 50,000 seats, the Government was "future-proofing the stadium" in case soccer in Australia became big enough.

But the Victory has not yet agreed to the deal.

Yesterday, the Government gave it just weeks to sign on as a tenant.

It's believed Victory is considering playing at Telstra Dome instead.

But Mr Theophanous said the club's bosses had told him they liked the size of the stadium, as long as they could play "blockbusters" at Telstra Dome.

Premier Steve Bracks said yesterday the increasing popularity of the stadium's other tenants would ensure it was not a white elephant, even if the Victory did not agree to the deal.

The Melbourne Football Club and Melbourne Storm have signed as tenants. But the Government is keen for the A-League champions to make the new stadium their home.

"We are reasonably confident the Victory will come on board," Mr Bracks said.

"If they don't, we know that by 2010 there is very likely to be a second soccer team in this city," he said.

Victory CEO Geoff Miles refused to comment yesterday, saying discussions with the Government were continuing.

Football Federation Australia boss Matt Carroll called on the Victory to play at the new stadium.

"We welcome the extra capacity, and we are encouraging the Victory to reach an agreement where the Victory can play the majority of games at the new stadium, and play marquee matches at Telstra Dome," Mr Carroll said.

He said the FFA was still considering a second team in Melbourne.

Source: http://www.NEWS.com.au

mb63
05-03-07, 03:55 PM
Melb Victory are still yet to commit despite the compromise.They have been a pain in the neck with the new stadium.If they don't come to the party this time they will be told to get nicked.

DIEHARD
06-03-07, 04:55 AM
WORLD CLASS STADIUM FOR STORM A REALITY

Melbourne Storm fans are set to get a world-class 27,750 seat rectangular-pitch stadium, providing the best facilities for rugby league the state has ever had.

Premier Bracks, who made the announcement on Sunday from the Olympic Park precinct where the stadium will be built, is delighted to have finally set the wheels in motion for the new stadium.

The announcement is welcome news to the Melbourne Storm, with the popularity of rugby league in Melbourne growing noticeably in recent times.

"The popularity that is getting behind Storm and has got behind Storm, grand finalists just recently and already has a grand final win under their belts, has been building and building," said Mr. Bracks.

The staging of marquee events such as State-of-Origin and Tri-Nations games in Melbourne, as well as Melbourne Storm's participation in the 2006 NRL grand final, which was watched by over 1 million Victorians, is testament to the need for a stadium of this nature.

With the Storm set to be one of the founding tenants, Mr. Bracks is under no illusions as to what will make the new stadium a success.

"Let's not make any mistake here, the anchor tenants are really what's going to make this work. That is the Melbourne Storm who are a great partner and given so much to Melbourne over such a long period of time," said Mr. Bracks.

The stadium will maintain the iconic bioframe roof design and house sports training and administration facilities which will rival the word's best.

The 27,750 seat stadium would cost around $256 million and is due to be completed in 2009.

The stadium will be built with strengthened foundations to allow future expansion.

To lessen the impact on the state's water supplies, the stadium would capture storm water for use in stadium facilities such as toilets.

Source: http://www.melbournestorm.com.au

mb63
06-03-07, 10:05 PM
Still no word from the Melb Victory.

Old Diehard
06-03-07, 10:33 PM
I'm glad its' done and dusted- as for the Vic Soccer team, c'est le vie!
The dragging on was to much and the Storm needs a new stadium ( don't care about the victorian soccer team).
Just quitely stick some money on the Storm to win the final this year- they have a great line-up!

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 03:14 AM
Melbourne Council stripped of sports precinct control

The State Government will introduce laws stripping Melbourne City Council of any control over the Olympic Park sports precinct.

Legislation to be tabled in State Parliament will end the council's 100-year-old powers to control a large tract of land at the southeastern corner of the precinct, including Gosch's Paddock.

Premier John Brumby has ordered the move to try to ensure a $268 million rectangular stadium set to open in 2009, on crown land between Olympic Park stadium and Gosch's Paddock, proceeds without delay.

The three tenants of the new stadium -- the Demons AFL club, Victory A-League soccer club and Storm NRL club, had been concerned they could only secure three-year leases from the council to train on Gosch's Paddock.

To advance negotiations, the Government will take control of the land, offer leases of a minimum 21 years, and cut the council out of the area entirely.

To offset the lengthy leases, the Government will proclaim parts of the land adjoining Gosch's Paddock as public open space.

A dispute with major tenant Victory over the size of the stadium has already delayed the project by several months, and new Premier John Brumby appears determined to get the stadium back on track.

The day before he was chosen as Premier to replace Steve Bracks, Mr Brumby signalled a new direction in major projects such as the rectangular stadium, saying: "We will be putting in place new measures to ensure that we can better implement major projects in Victoria."

The sports precinct move marks the second time Mr Brumby has stepped in to take power away from the council since he became Premier on July 30.

The Government said it would legislate to take control of the Carlton Gardens away from the council to allow the International Flower and Garden Show to go ahead after council decided to end the event, citing damage to the gardens.

Most of the sports precinct, which runs from Batman Ave in the south to the tram lines in the north and Punt Rd in the east, is run by the Melbourne and Olympic Parks Trust but the land is controlled by a range of bodies including the council, VicTrack, and several government departments.

The Melbourne and Olympic Parks Amendment Bill due to be tabled today will bring all of the land under the control of the trust, which will report to Sport Minister James Merlino.

Ellen Whinnett
Herald Sun

DIEHARD
13-10-07, 03:17 AM
It is tremendous to see the new Victorian Premier so keeningly behind the new development of Olympic Park II.

But much thanks has to go to the Victory for wasting months of development time! :mad:

Old Diehard
10-11-07, 01:46 AM
Ths thing about Melbourne is they get NO media coverage, NO promotion and they play out of the worst stadium in porfessional sport in Australia!

Give them a nice stadium and you'll help their crowds right away.

Give the Storm a chance.

The thing about Melbourne is the NRL has transplanted all these players from elsewhere to make the Storm successful. Victorian Rugby League isn't generating any quality players yet or likely to in the near future but still the Melbourne Team won the premiership!

So why don't we look to doing the same with Adelaide - no one down there is good enough to play professional Rugby League but we could transplant a team like this there-
-
Tangi Ropati (Wynnum Manly)
Smith Samau (Gold Coast Titans)
Andreas Bauer (Hull KR)
George Carmont (Newcastle Knights)
Afa Lesa (Samoa)
Nigel Vagana (South Sydney & Captain)
Joseph Paulo (Penrith Panthers)
Hutch Maiava (Hull FC)
Chris Vae***a (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Frank Puletua (Penrith Panthers)
Tony Puletua (Penrith Panthers)
Ali Lauitiiti (Leeds Rhinos)
Harrison Hansen (Wigan Warriors).

Interchange:
Chris Lei Sam (Samoa)
Ponifasio Vasa (Samoa)
Manulua Lafi (Samoa)
Phil Leuluai (Salford City Reds).

They are all Samoans which goes to show that Rugby League has got a strong following there! We have to think about bringing a South Pacific Team into the NRL!

I mean have a look at this team , and there are players already good in Tonga, Fiji, PNG...Maybe we should bring them here to OZ & put them in as an NRL Team based down in Aussie Rules terrority

Lets face it ,Victorian Rugby League could not put a team together good enough to field in the 2nd division up here and won't in the next 5 years! The Melbourne Storm are premiers because of transplanted players from League Playing areas and are successful .Why not try and copy the idea by putting together a team of south pacific islanders in Adelaide to give that City some representation in the NRL (Lord know the locals down there in don't play the game much!)

Worthy idea to make the NRL more national and at the same time raise the profile of the game in place where the locals already excel at it!

Super Cronk
10-11-07, 11:51 AM
You obviously know nothing mate. You have a problem with the Storm and cant seem to get over it.

How long do you think it takes for a team in an all AFL state to get players into first grade? Certainly doesnt happen over night.

And Victorian rugby league is produceing some quality players. There are 9 players VIC league comps signed up by the Storm recently and some i believe will be taking part in the U/20's comp. Like i said it takes alot of time to build juniors up from scratch let alone in an AFL dominated state. Honestly i dont know what your problem is with the Storm...but its sad that you continue to whinge and whine over it and you dont know jack ****.

hugebrianfan
10-11-07, 12:30 PM
You obviously know nothing mate. You have a problem with the Storm and cant seem to get over it.

How long do you think it takes for a team in an all AFL state to get players into first grade? Certainly doesnt happen over night.

And Victorian rugby league is produceing some quality players. There are 9 players VIC league comps signed up by the Storm recently and some i believe will be taking part in the U/20's comp. Like i said it takes alot of time to build juniors up from scratch let alone in an AFL dominated state. Honestly i dont know what your problem is with the Storm...but its sad that you continue to whinge and whine over it and you dont know jack ****.

dont a lot of people have a problem with the storms..? When they beat newcastle in round 4 (I was at that game) I was pretty upset but then I got over it. You cant just keep on hating teams, although I dont like some teams but i dont hate them.

Old Diehard
10-11-07, 07:11 PM

Name the 9 players? Go on who are they ? And which club in the Vic Rugby League did they play for? Ya idiot - their is no 9 players!

Ya talking crap son!

But although we are a Rugby League State our Aussie Rules Ream - The Lions is already getting players who have come out of the Queensland Aussie Rules Juniors! You Sir can not after 11 years name one player from Victoria Rugby League who has played for the Storm AND NOW I CHALLENGE YOU TO NAME THE 9 WHO WILL PLAY NEXT YEAR IN THE U20s' COMP! Common ! Name them!

Queenslander
10-11-07, 07:23 PM
Name the 9 players? Go on who are they ? And which club in the Vic Rugby League did they play for? Ya idiot - their is no 9 players!

Super Cronk is not talking "crap"......I remember hearing it on the news a while back that at least 9 players from Melbourne will play for the Storm in the Under 20's competition.

Old Diehard
10-11-07, 07:28 PM
Super Cronk is not talking "crap"......I remember hearing it on the news a while back that at least 9 players from Melbourne will play for the Storm in the Under 20's competition.

I'll ask you the same question then- who are they? and what juniors or clubs are they from in Melbourne?

The Vic Rugby League Sytem couldn't put a team together now after after 11 years of the Storm that could beat the Ipswich Jets (IMO and your territory Queeenslander!)

PS THE STORM U20 Team next year will be mostly Norths Colts players!

DIEHARD
10-11-07, 07:30 PM
Time out rugby league fans.

You are both right.

The Storm are propped up by interstate players and maybe they have spent more than a few too many years depending on that without putting in place serious plans to bring Victorians on board.

But it's true that they have Victorian young bloods on the books and the figure of nine would be about right and we will be seeing some of this new mexican talent in next years National Youth Championship.

If you look at the Lions and Swans they aren't light years ahead in terms of playing stocks but they have a huge lead on us in local playing stocks and junior investment in QLD and NSW.

I'm behind the Melbourne Storm. I want further expansion into Perth but we need to wait until the Storm start bringing through their local boys before we can move on and bring in another team that is propped up.

Propping up is necessary, there isn't any shame in it, the Lions and Swans do it, it's just that we have rested on our laurels for far too many years and it is good to see the Storm signing young guns.

I encourage it 100%. And I am looking forward to seeing these young Victorians next year. And if we unearth a super star which is very possible because there are a lot of athletes in Victoria who aren't suited to AFL, they will be a great example to all the others that will follow.

Social Loafer
10-11-07, 08:39 PM
Canberra used a lot of local players in the early days and were subsequently awarded with a debut season spoon :duh:

Was only when Don Furner & Wayne Bennett started recruiting from QLD did the club start improving. Now with no Premier League I'm glad the club has such strong links with Souths Logan.

Super Cronk
10-11-07, 10:21 PM

Ya talking crap son!

But although we are a Rugby League State our Aussie Rules Ream - The Lions is already getting players who have come out of the Queensland Aussie Rules Juniors! You Sir can not after 11 years name one player from Victoria Rugby League who has played for the Storm AND NOW I CHALLENGE YOU TO NAME THE 9 WHO WILL PLAY NEXT YEAR IN THE U20s' COMP! Common ! Name them!
Not exactly sure who the players are that will play for the U/20's but the Storm have signed these 7 youngsters from VIC league clubs: Russell Webster, Drury Low, Gareth Widdop, Cameron Micallef, Josh Millgate, Jarrod Stack, Adam Leslie. I cant find the names for the other 2 players

I dont know the junior club names.

I guess time will tell who is right and wrong aye, son?

BTW, Jake Webster was born in VIC and IIRC he actually played for the Altona Roosters as a kid....but what do i know. :duh:

Super Cronk
10-11-07, 10:35 PM
While im at it. here is an article about Jarrod Stack from 2005:

MELBOURNE Storm believes it has finally unearthed its first Victorian born-and-bred player.

Storm has signed rangy outside back Jarred Stack to a full-time scholarship and the club is confident that within three years he will develop into a first grade talent.

Stack, 17, will train with Storm's senior squad until Christmas, before relocating to Brisbane to link with the club's Queensland Cup feeder side, Norths Devils.

"He is a big, tall, athletic kid, and I think he has the size and aggression needed to make it," Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan said.

"He had his first hitout with the senior guys today and he ripped in and held his own."

Storm hopes Stack will be a trailblazer for rugby league in Victoria.

Kiwi international Jake Webster is the only player on the Storm roster with a Victorian birth certificate and he learned to play rugby league in Queensland.

As part of a major shake-up of the code's development program in Victoria, Storm intends to offer a scholarship position to one local player each year.

"It has obviously been a goal of the club's for some time to try and produce a locally born-and-bred first-grader," coach Craig Bellamy said.

"This is a step in the right direction. It is the first time we have signed a Melbourne kid to a scholarship and while I haven't seen much of him, our recruitment people have a fair opinion of his ability."

After finishing school this year, Stack is keen to try to make a career out of rugby league.

"I am really excited for the kid," O'Sullivan said.

"He has the backing of his family and while he had an offer from the Roosters to go and play in the SG Ball competition in Sydney, he was adamant he wanted to play for Melbourne.

"He is over the moon to be getting a shot and hopefully with the new development program we are putting into place, he will be the first of many kids coming through."

Theres also an article ive been trying to find again, about two juniors form VIC that were signed by the knights in 05/06. IIRC one of the last names was Beau?

*Also Jeremy Smith played for the altona roosters( a vic league club) when he first lived in melbourne.

Old Diehard
10-11-07, 10:39 PM
aye, son?

BTW, Jake Webster was born in VIC and IIRC he actually played for the Altona Roosters as a kid....but what do i know. :duh:

Jake Webster represents NZ - he apparantly may have been born in Victoria to Maroi parents....He played his juniors at Valleys here in Brisbane and then played for Norths before moving to the Storm ...How you claim him as a Victorian is beyond me!

Old Diehard
10-11-07, 10:58 PM
here's the likely line-up of the Storm U20's in next years NRL Comp!

Luke Samoa - Norths Brisbane (norths junior)
Yow yeh - Norths brisbane
jacob samoa--Norths Brisbane
sam Joe------Norths Brisbane
Ryan Tonyia--Norths Brisbane
Willis Grant
Liam Foran
Siku Manu
Sam McPhail
jay Aston

None of them from Victoria - gotta see who else was signed up later!Their is probably a few I missed but they aren't Victorians...Those other players you listed didn't play at any serious level last year that I can see and we will see if they are good enough to play the new NRL Jesery Flegg Comp next year...Certainly they DID NOT PLAY QLd FOGS COLTS this year!

Old Diehard
10-11-07, 11:45 PM
couple more players signed to the storm U20s'-
Rohern Ahern
Jay Aston
Blain Harling

(all of those blokes I think were signed on the Northen Storm Colts Development Program in 2007...and I expect most of them will transfer to the
Storm's U20 in 2008.. Not really sure about these players mentioned from Victoria. Surely they would have needed a season at Colts level)

DIEHARD
11-11-07, 12:45 AM
I think we get your point, let's just sit tight and see what happens with the Storm in 08.

Super Cronk
11-11-07, 05:11 PM
Jake Webster represents NZ - he apparantly may have been born in Victoria to Maroi parents....He played his juniors at Valleys here in Brisbane and then played for Norths before moving to the Storm ...How you claim him as a Victorian is beyond me!

Born in victoria, played for altona roosters when he was a kid...roosters are a VRL team. He did play at QLd, but he was born in victoria and also played in the league comps down there as a kid(before valleys and devils)....

And i didnt mention once that all 9 players would be in the U/20's comp, i said i believed some would be. weather or not they make it...i dont know but they are certainly in the running, well atleast thats what the storm say...you cant tell me you know more about these kids and U/20s storm team then the people that are running the club do you? And just because players are from the colts or whatever doesnt mean they arent born in VIc or played Junior league down there. (and yes i know the ones you named arent VIctorians)

Victorian Rugby League isn't generating any quality players yet or likely to in the near future but still the Melbourne Team won the premiership!

....you reckon that VRL isnt producing anyone, but we have these 7-9 players being signed by the Storm...if they werent worth considering the storm wouldnt have signed them, O'sullivan scouted them, they must be half decent. Also there was a player who was signed up by the knights from the VRL, i cannot find a source unfortunately...because i would be able to prove you wrong further.

as diehard said we will see in the next year or so....

Coaster
11-11-07, 06:23 PM
Smith played for Runaway bay here on the coast

Old Diehard
11-11-07, 06:40 PM
Born in victoria, played for altona roosters when he was a kid...roosters are a VRL team. He did play at QLd, but he was born in victoria and also played in the league comps down there as a kid(before valleys and devils)....

as diehard said we will see in the next year or so....

We could wait another 10 years (that will > 20years then) and Victoria still won't produce! It's a no boner! But good luck Super Cronk- ya remind me of Geoffrey - he's a mad keen Wests Panthers supporter up here who is that one-eyed you gotta respect him!

Ah Geoffrey - he must get to watch all of Wests games each week-end during the season! Mad keen!

Super Cronk - I will now call you Super Geoffrey!

Queenslander
11-11-07, 07:49 PM
We could wait another 10 years (that will > 20years then) and Victoria still won't produce!

Old Diehard = Melbourne Storm critic and part-time clairvoyant ;)

Old Diehard
11-11-07, 08:32 PM
Old Diehard = Melbourne Storm critic and part-time clairvoyant ;)

Oh you are so right Brother about the critic part but as a clairoyant only time will tell!- but I recognise Super Geoffery is a true believer and good luck to him!.

Super Cronk
12-11-07, 05:02 PM
Smith played for Runaway bay here on the coast

Jeremy? When he first lived in melbourne he played for a team called altona roosters in victoria. might have been really young tho.

And old diehard call me what ever you like mate...

DIEHARD
24-11-08, 08:12 PM
Here is another picture of the final product...

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2903/melbrectstadiumqj7.jpg

Paul
24-11-08, 08:23 PM
looks like marshmellows

DIEHARD
24-11-08, 08:28 PM
looks like marshmellows

LOL yea it looks like something from a sci fi movie, but still looks awesome!

Paul
24-11-08, 08:30 PM
It couldn't be worse than the hole they play at now. Glad they have a stadium worthy of the competition they're in.

By the looks of those pics are they groundsharing with the melbourne victory Brad?

DIEHARD
24-11-08, 08:31 PM
"Fuelling the AFL's frustration is the fact that the soon-to-be-built rectangular stadium in the Olympic Park precinct is expected to be commercially "clean", allowing tenant clubs at that ground full access to profitable signage and pourage agreements."

Fantastic for the Storm in regards to revenue!

Capital_Shark
24-11-08, 08:39 PM
Soccer mirange pie!

GCT_89
24-11-08, 10:19 PM
i would have to say, the worst part of my Melbourne trip this year was the stadium itself..................so maybe with a stadium like this, the trip might lok a lil more attractive..............

Steve
24-11-08, 10:48 PM
It sort of looks like the architect copied Robina, but made it more bubbly to avoid copyright violation.

The seats look far away from the sidelines, needs to be in closer. :D

daveyk
25-11-08, 06:30 PM
It sort of looks like the architect copied Robina, but made it more bubbly to avoid copyright violation.

The seats look far away from the sidelines, needs to be in closer. :D

i agree.... i think it will be shared between the two teams....

but even with both codes, u need to seats to be closer, creates a much better atmoshpere....

and yes it does look awesome.... should be good to go there

DIEHARD
20-07-09, 08:40 PM
Some new pictures of the fantastic new home of rugby league in Melbourne. A sure fire must visit for the Southern Legion in 2010!!!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7684/002rlz.jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4/003qrr.jpg

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2460/013esu.jpg

Adelaide Titan
20-07-09, 10:39 PM
besides looking like a metal scrap heap...not bad! The Storm and Victory should pack it out during their respective seasons

DIEHARD
20-07-09, 10:57 PM
I love it because when it is finished it will look like a cloudland for the Storm.

Adelaide Titan
21-07-09, 11:57 AM
yeah thats true, Melbourne Victory though, they dont deserve a stadium that good. them and their fans should be sent back to crappy Olympic Park!

DIEHARD
21-07-09, 11:16 PM
Yea Storm and Victory and Melbourne Demons will also HQ there. Well done to the Victorian government for such a massive funding investment to the rectangular football games.

I'm considering getting season ticketz there so I can attend the opening. My brother is a massive Storm fan after living in Melbourne for 5 years.

While Olympic Park makes a great greyhound track 30 years ago.... :laugh: Their fan base is colourful, passion and loud and will only be greatly built on in 2010. The influx of away fans will also boost atmosphere and coffers. :thumbsup:

Adelaide Titan
22-07-09, 01:06 PM
at least they get a new stadium, here in Adelaide we wont have one...ever! unless Australia hosts the FIFA World Cup. All we have is redevelopments of AAMI Stadium and Adelaide Oval. It would be great if we had a boutique like stadium like Melbournes building

DIEHARD
06-08-09, 05:39 PM
New video of the new rectangular stadium in Melbourne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQULwo8jj0Q&feature=channel

I reckon they should nickname their homeground Cloudland. Maybe I am influenced by the old Brisbane landmark.

DIEHARD
06-08-09, 05:42 PM
New video of the Melbourne sports precinct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyOAtcWYmt4&feature=channel

I think this is the best possible place for the Storm. In the heart of the city. Near other sporting venues. Venues which many other sports fans attend, the fans we want as Storm fans. It's totally ideal! :thumbsup: