PDA

View Full Version : QLD: Rogers no Origin certainty

DIEHARD
16-12-06, 02:38 AM
Rogers no Origin certainty

Former Test rugby player Mat Rogers must make an immediate impact in his return to rugby league to have any chance of living his State of Origin dream.

Queensland coach Mal Meninga last night admitted Rogers had a massive challenge to again prove himself in the 13-man code after five seasons in rugby.

The 30-year-old represented the Maroons five times between 1999 and 2000 but will start next season well down the Origin pecking order.

Rogers is expected to soon ink a deal for 2007 with the Gold Coast Titans, with whom he is likely to play fullback.

But with Karmichael Hunt, Greg Inglis, Billy Slater, Matt Bowen and Rhys Wesser all quality No. 1s, Meninga said Rogers's best hopes of securing an Origin berth would be on the wings or in the centres.

Inglis, Brent Tate, Steve Bell, Adam Mogg and Wesser lined the flanks for Queensland during this year's winning series while Justin Hodges, Tate, Bell and Josh Hannay shared time in the centres.

Mogg has since moved to France but Bulldog Willie Tonga, Cowboy Ty Williams and Broncos Shaun Berrigan and Darius Boyd are other impressive three-quarter options.

Meninga refused to guarantee Rogers a path back to league's toughest arena, insisting it was up to the former Cronulla Sharks player to stake the most irresistible claim he could.

"I pick people on merit," Meninga said. "If they are performing, they will be considered.

"We've got depth all over the place, so it's going to be difficult for everyone.

"Everyone's a chance if they are playing well, but I'm not going to commit myself."

FOXSPORTS

DIEHARD
16-12-06, 02:39 AM
Gee Maroons are well stocked, just need to beef up the forwards.

I doubt Rogers will want to represent or get picked over the current talent.

Future Star
16-12-06, 09:36 AM
Well, of course he isnt...

DeeGan
16-12-06, 10:30 AM
A nothing article given Rogers has stated that he will not pursue an representative jersey upon returning to rugby league.

Capital_Shark
16-12-06, 07:49 PM
A nothing article given Rogers has stated that he will not pursue an representative jersey upon returning to rugby league.

Like how he was staying with union till after the world cup?

Future Star
16-12-06, 09:56 PM
Like how he was staying with union till after the world cup?

hhmm... Good Point.

I think IF he gets the chance to play Rep first year back, he will take it.

Queenslander
16-12-06, 10:22 PM

Exactly, IMO Rogers would have much of a chance to make it into any of the current rugby league rep sides anyway, considering the level of talent that is displayed in QLD and Australian sides.