PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos revamp pays off for ARL

DIEHARD
09-12-06, 04:45 PM
Kangaroos revamp pays off for ARL

The ARL campaign to take on the Wallabies as the nation's No.1 football brand gained momentum during the recent Tri-Nations series, with merchandising income more than doubling past sales.

The makeover of the Kangaroo jersey, featuring a new emblem and design, appealed to fans, with Classic Sportswear reporting a sales growth of 174 per cent.

ARL chairman Colin Love said: "The new Kangaroo branding is a program that is only new but even in its infancy, sales have gone through the roof. We're working towards a centenary year [2008] and a World Cup at the end of that season, so to have the revamped brand performing the way it is, is very pleasing."

In October last year, during the Kangaroos' failed campaign in England to defend the Tri-Nations trophy, only 994 jerseys were sold. Sales for October 2006, as the Kangaroos embarked on their successful mission in Australia and New Zealand to regain the trophy, were 2724.

Classic Sportswear reports that sales of training gear also grew in excess of 100 per cent. "We exceeded all budgets for venue sales, with the venue concessionaire writing the forecasted total after only two games," said Classic Sportswear's licensing manager, Rebecca James.

While sales are well below figures for the 2003 rugby World Cup in Australia, Love is confident the Kangaroos brand can leap over the Wallabies jumper, particularly with the Wallabies' chances in next year's World Cup in France diminishing.

A centenary committee has been appointed, consisting of representatives of the ARL and NRL, demonstrating a joint venture approach to the game's 100 year celebrations.

The anniversary of the formation of the NSWRL in August 1907 will be the first event acknowledged, with a re-enactment of officials gathering for a meeting at the Sydney Showground.

The Roosters, the only stand-alone club to have played every season since 1908, will jump start the anniversary celebrations, partying a year ahead of the code.

The Bondi Junction club will celebrate its 100th season in 2007 with a commemorative strip, a celebration ball and a re-enactment of the Eastern Suburbs' original game with Newtown.

ARL and NRL officials are disappointed with the Roosters' stand-alone plans, but the club has undertaken not to use the term "centenary" in its promotions.

Manly also chose to celebrate their 60th season in 2006, while Parramatta will wait until next year. Both clubs were formed in 1947.

Source: SMH

The Dave
10-12-06, 04:04 AM
The jersey, as ever, is lovely. However the training and leisure wear are manky :curse:

Future Star
10-12-06, 07:57 AM
Maybe its just because it was in Australia this time..

The Dave
10-12-06, 12:44 PM
Not at all, I'm from Irealnd, where we hate engl*nd more than ye, but this years pitch gear was poor, last years was bad, but not as bad. However, I adored the training/leisure gear from 2 years ago

DIEHARD
10-12-06, 02:37 PM
So you are saying you don't like the famous double golden chevrons on dark green?

It's the best jersey in the world.

I found some of the Kangaroos merchandise hit and miss. Most of it was good, some of it great but some left a lot to be desired. But I was glad to see a bigger range.

I finally got a new Kangaroos flag and a huge wall flag with the Kangaroos logo and a giant double gold chevon. Ill take a picture one day, its heavenly.

Steelers
10-12-06, 02:59 PM
In October last year, during the Kangaroos' failed campaign in England to defend the Tri-Nations trophy, only 994 jerseys were sold. Sales for October 2006, as the Kangaroos embarked on their successful mission in Australia and New Zealand to regain the trophy, were 2724.

I must say that those sales seem awfully low to me.

Capital_Shark
10-12-06, 05:22 PM

I was thinking the same thing. With the tri nations being in England last year, it was harder for Aussies to get into it. Most not being able to trip overseas to watch a game live, and the 5am broadcasts are tough too if you can't get a FOX replay. Still how many people spend $100+ on a jersey to wear in their living room at 5am?

If you were going to a tri nations game this year in Australia, you'd probably be more keen to grab a jersey and/or other merchandise to show your support AT the game.

DIEHARD
10-12-06, 08:30 PM
I must say that those sales seem awfully low to me.

You arent wrong. So instead of them being a total disgrace they are just a plain disgrace. But the ARL are on the right track and we wont win the war over night.