PDA

View Full Version : The Frank Puletua Discussion Thread

Queenslander
18-08-06, 07:47 PM
Titans play hardball for Turner, Puletua
Friday, August 18, 2006 - 7:16 PM

A meeting between Frank Puletua and Gold Coast coach John Cartwright next month will determine whether the Penrith enforcer will be made to honour his contract with the Titans.

But the new NRL franchise vowed to play hardball to ensure Melbourne winger Steve Turner heads north despite a tug-of-war with the Storm.

Puletua indicated he is keen to remain in Penrith for family reasons, despite the fact he signed a two-year contract with the Titans.

Panthers general manager Mick Leary confirmed they would like to retain the 28-year-old, but only if he could secure a release from the Titans.

Puletua's manager, Allan Gainey, said the second rower had reconsidered his position after his wife secured a plum events management position, but played down talk of his reneging on the deal.

Adding to the Gold Coast's woes is the fact that Newcastle winger Brian Carney is also considering a reversal of his decision to join the franchise, although Parramatta centre Luke O'Dwyer denied reports he was reconsidering his commitment to the Titans.

"I'll finish up the year with Parramatta and then I'm going over, and really looking forward to it," O'Dwyer said.

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle said Puletua's case may fall into the category of "exceptional circumstances", but the other players did not.

"It would take exceptional circumstances to release a player and the fact they're enjoying their time at their existing club doesn't qualify as exceptional circumstances," Searle said.

"There's no grounds for Carney and O'Dwyer.

"I think Frank does have some reservation and we've agreed to sit down and discuss it further.

"Our preliminary discussions suggest there doesn't appear to be any exceptional circumstances at this stage.

"But we will review after the head coach sits down with Frank, probably in a month or so."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fight over Turner follows claims by the flanker he did not sign a Titans contract.

Adding questions marks about the Titans' business practices is the claim that Cronulla prop James Stosic - who has confirmed his allegiance to the Titans - also hadn't signed a contract.

Searle, who has the backing of the NRL in the fight for Turner, said there would be no backdown over the issue.

"I think it was poor form to sign a player who had signed an agreement," he said.

"None of this would have happened if they would have acknowledged that.

"Fourteen other clubs would have followed the procedures the right way.

"I'm confident we'll be found to have a binding agreement with the player, very confident.

"The audit trail is beyond reproach and we've conducted ourselves 100 per cent professionally the whole way through.

"If the referee says to the Storm he's a Gold Coast player, then we would hope everyone would accept the referee's decision.

"These are professional footballers, this isn't park football, where you can turn up and say `I don't want to turn up and play for you guys'".

Asked if he was concerned Turner would follow the lead of Gordon Tallis, who sat out the 1996 season because of a contractual dispute, Searle said: "That's his choice at the end of the day, but he'll have to sit out three seasons.

"None of us want to see that."

Storm boss Brian Waldron said he would revisit the Turner issue next week.

"Nothing's changed, we'll let the dust settle for a few days and we'll pick up our tools again next week," he said.

Source: AAP

************************************************** ************************************

Some interesting things I read there:

1) That Frank Puletua may be allowed forgo his Titans contract because of "exceptional circumstances", while others cannot. and;

2) "James Stosic - who has confirmed his allegiance to the Titans - also hadn't signed a contract."

3) O'Dwyer is confirmed but Carney has not come out and said that he will definately be a Titan next year.

Souths'n'Titans
18-08-06, 09:11 PM
Why are the Titans persuing people who dont want to be there next year? They dont want to be there, understand that

travop
18-08-06, 10:46 PM
mmmm i c

Brettymac
18-08-06, 11:42 PM
Why are the Titans persuing people who dont want to be there next year? They dont want to be there, understand that

Here's your questioning rephrased in a chronological representation.

We're in the competiton - Why did the titans pursue players who were off contract. Players who were keen to talk about a playing future at the gold coast ? Hmmm... make sense to me...

Why did the titans, after all discussions of the culture, the meet and greets, these are our facilities, this is what we can do for you.... Why did they proceed to strike an agreement with a player who was keen as mustard to be involved in the inaugural year of the club ? Hmmm... more sense there...

Why make a legally binding agreement...? more sense.

Who did they PURSUE ? PLAYERS WHO WANTED IN is my answer....

And NOW ? They wish to RETAIN the services within the extent of contracts signed. Forgive me... but again Im just seeing more SENSE.

philstorm
18-08-06, 11:53 PM
Here's your questioning rephrased in a chronological representation.

We're in the competiton - Why did the titans pursue players who were off contract. Players who were keen to talk about a playing future at the gold coast ? Hmmm... make sense to me...

Why did the titans, after all discussions of the culture, the meet and greets, these are our facilities, this is what we can do for you.... Why did they proceed to strike an agreement with a player who was keen as mustard to be involved in the inaugural year of the club ? Hmmm... more sense there...

Why make a legally binding agreement...? more sense.

Who did they PURSUE ? PLAYERS WHO WANTED IN is my answer....

And NOW ? They wish to RETAIN the services within the extent of contracts signed. Forgive me... but again Im just seeing more SENSE.

I think what SNT was trying to say, is "Why are the Titans continuing to pursue Turner (Pulatuea and Carney will go to the Titans, there's no doubt there!), when Turner has indicated his desire to stay at the Storm".

I understand the reasoning behind this completely. Letting Turner go would, in Searle's words, set an 'awful precedent'. But at the day I just think everyone should sit around a table and talk things out logically.

Souths'n'Titans
19-08-06, 08:03 AM
I think what SNT was trying to say, is "Why are the Titans continuing to pursue Turner (Pulatuea and Carney will go to the Titans, there's no doubt there!), when Turner has indicated his desire to stay at the Storm".

I understand the reasoning behind this completely. Letting Turner go would, in Searle's words, set an 'awful precedent'. But at the day I just think everyone should sit around a table and talk things out logically.
Set an Awful precendent- are you kidding me, Souths have let both Terry Hill and Shane Elford leave and no one wiped a tear. Now Titans are having a cry over "TURNER?". He isnt even worth going to court over.

Crushers
19-08-06, 11:32 AM
Set an Awful precendent- are you kidding me, Souths have let both Terry Hill and Shane Elford leave and no one wiped a tear. Now Titans are having a cry over "TURNER?". He isnt even worth going to court over.
Let me get this straight- you would prefer Hill and Elford at 30-something years old to Turner at 21? :laugh:

Besides, that defeatist attitude is what has kept Souths chained to the bottom since '02.

Souths'n'Titans
19-08-06, 11:39 AM
No i am saying this is not a precendent because Souths have done it before.

It is not a defeatist attitude it is called keeping the team ethos, ever heard of it? The idea that you dont want players at your club that dont want to be there because they have a detremental effect on others

Queenslander
22-08-06, 08:58 AM
Searle warned Frank Puletua also would be made to honour his commitment with the Titans after he indicated he wanted to stick with current club Penrith.

The Courier Mail

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20202402-5003409,00.html

lonegull
22-08-06, 11:05 AM
interesting because puletua was using family reasons as a get out

Grimmace
22-08-06, 11:07 AM
He was turner may not sit out on the sidelines but you may find puletua will if it is family related...... since kiwis are very much family orrientated people

bigjim
22-08-06, 03:45 PM
The last time I looked, the NRL was a professional football competition, with professional teams full of professional players all with their own lawyers, managers, assistants and aids.

Turner is just 21 years old and has the right to play wherever he wishes, but he also has the responsability of playing to his best ability at the team of his choice.

He made a choice, gave a committment and made a promise to the Titans, management and their fans. He must honour that decision and act like a man and regain some credibility. He's a professional player and must be made to realize, that his word is his bond.

Stop acting like a spoilt child. :')

bigjim
22-08-06, 03:57 PM
The last time I looked, the NRL was a professional football competition, with professional teams full of professional players all with their own lawyers, managers, assistants and aids.

Turner is just 21 years old and has the right to play wherever he wishes, but he also has the responsability of playing to his best ability at the team of his choice.

He made a choice, gave a committment and made a promise to the Titans, management and their fans. He must honour that decision and act like a man and regain some credibility. He's a professional player and must be made to realize, that his word is his bond.

Stop acting like a spoilt child. :')

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry. I put this in the wrong thread.

Disregard all before, Sorry.
Don't want to be accused of hijacking the thread.

robbo
30-08-06, 11:50 AM
Hey ppl can anyone tell me wether or not Franks staying with PENRITH or still headin to the TITANS in 07

Titanium_BD1103
30-08-06, 11:56 AM
Not sure....

*Thanks Queenslander for moving the thread*... :)

Queenslander
30-08-06, 12:30 PM
Make sure you post in the correct area's robbo. Plus use the search function. A dedicated Frank Puletua thread can be found here: ;)

http://www.titans.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5008

robbo
30-08-06, 12:32 PM
thanks my bad ppl

Darren Lockyer
30-08-06, 06:26 PM
what is going on with him? Has john cartright spoken to him yet

lonegull
04-09-06, 12:00 PM
i see John Cartwright was at the penrith game on the weekend and was going to have a chat to frank about his future wonder what if they did talk or if any decsion was made

lonegull
05-10-06, 10:11 AM
While the Titans missed out on Timmins, Penrith forward Puletua yesterday said he would honour his commitment to the club.

Puletua had indicated he wanted to remain with the Panthers for family reasons but yesterday said he was resigned to the move north.

"That's out of my hands, it seems I am going up to the Titans," he said.

"That seems to be the go."

His agent, Allan Gainey, confirmed the move, stating: "That's the ruling and that's what he's going to do."

source Gold Coast Bulletin

Good news on this one great to see Frank honouring his commitment to the titans

Pale Ale Panther
05-10-06, 10:32 AM

"Using family reasons" you say that like he's just made up a family, his Brother is the captian of the club, ther partners are verry close, don't cheepen the man by saying he's USING family reasons to get out, a few weeks ago i spoke to Frank verry quickly, and he said i've signed there so if it comes down to it i'll go, but i'd like to stay so its just wait and see ? didn't sound like a Man USING his family to get out of anything, i'll admit he wants to stay to be close to his family, but to say he's USING them to get out ? a fools comment !

how did the Titans sign Preston well before the June 30 deadline ? because Penrith allowed it, i think the Panthers have been verry good to the Titans so to see a comment like the above staggers me ?

lonegull
05-10-06, 10:52 AM
"Using family reasons" you say that like he's just made up a family, his Brother is the captian of the club, ther partners are verry close, don't cheepen the man by saying he's USING family reasons to get out, a few weeks ago i spoke to Frank verry quickly, and he said i've signed there so if it comes down to it i'll go, but i'd like to stay so its just wait and see ? didn't sound like a Man USING his family to get out of anything, i'll admit he wants to stay to be close to his family, but to say he's USING them to get out ? a fools comment !

how did the Titans sign Preston well before the June 30 deadline ? because Penrith allowed it, i think the Panthers have been verry good to the Titans so to see a comment like the above staggers me ?

i stated what frank said to the media nothing against the man i know what it is like to leave family it was just interesting to see how the titans went about it because it is a little different to steve turner situation and it wasnt a fool comment it was frank stated in the media

Titanium_BD1103
05-10-06, 10:55 AM
Well Frank has done the right thing and honoured his agreement... good to see... :)

I am sure he will be ok and will realise once up at the Gold Coast that he is in a good community and that the club will do all it can to help him and his partner out.

Here's hoping he can play his best for the club and at the same time his partner can find work and he is happy here... because a happy player is a good player.

lonegull
05-10-06, 11:01 AM
Well Frank has done the right thing and honoured his agreement... good to see... :)

I am sure he will be ok and will realise once up at the Gold Coast that he is in a good community and that the club will do all it can to help him and his partner out.

Here's hoping he can play his best for the club and at the same time his partner can find work and he is happy here... because a happy player is a good player.

hit the nail on the head cant agree anymore

Pale Ale Panther
05-10-06, 11:04 AM
i think your original post could have been worded a little better then, i'l retract the fools comment, got a bit upset there, the man is verry loyal so if the Titans do get him, he'll be a fav, as i've said i have nothing to do with the Panthers and the man is willing to stop and have a chat, so the people of the coast will love him,

lonegull
05-10-06, 11:09 AM
yeah frank is loyal and i am sure the titans are glad he is coming up he is a respected man throughout the rugby league playing community and im sure frank will be a hit up on the coast

Supergoose
05-10-06, 01:37 PM
Frank will tear up the Queensland Cup and be a solid replacement for injured players. Nice to have him on board. Hope he likes playing for Tweed or Ipswich because that's where he is headed unless he gets his attitude right.

robbo
05-10-06, 03:52 PM
Let Frank Stay With The Panthers Go The Panthers 2007 Is Ours

Pale Ale Panther
05-10-06, 06:13 PM
Frank will tear up the Queensland Cup and be a solid replacement for injured players. Nice to have him on board. Hope he likes playing for Tweed or Ipswich because that's where he is headed unless he gets his attitude right.

ok, now he has an attitude problem, care to expand on that or are you just happy to make throw away statments then fall back to your rock ? i agree he would rip up in the Q Cup, but i'll bet he plays more NRL than Q Cup ? his attitude is great,

Go_The_Doggies
05-10-06, 08:03 PM
Those were the days when you have Joe Galuvao..Frank Puletua..Tony Puletua at the same club.

jake86
06-10-06, 12:19 AM
ok, now he has an attitude problem, care to expand on that or are you just happy to make throw away statments then fall back to your rock ? i agree he would rip up in the Q Cup, but i'll bet he plays more NRL than Q Cup ? his attitude is great,

Dunno whether he has an attitude problem, but he has some stiff competition for a spot in the titans top 17

Lets hope turner follows suit

Steve
06-10-06, 09:26 AM
No attitude problem, he's just very close to his family, and it's going to be hard for him to move so far from them. But, he knows he's made an agreement and he'll honor it. But there are a lot of familiar faces for him in the team which should help, and as i've said before, Sydney isn't far away on the sort of money he'll be earning. Heck, with the major sponsor, he and his family probably won't be paying for flights anyhow.

I have no doubt he'll give 100%

Supergoose
06-10-06, 09:54 AM
I hope you're right regarding his ability to put in 100% for the TITANS and I hope he does realise his potential and make the Titans first grade bench. The words attributed in the articles just sounded to me like he was begrudgingly coming to the Titans and not fully committed. Lets hope that he can focus his energies on his football and add value to the Titans pack.

PROMETHEUS
06-10-06, 11:51 AM
Preston was NEVER going to re-sign with the panfers or anyone else.. :whatd:

PROMETHEUS
06-10-06, 12:30 PM
Anyhow,back on topic..
The guy in charge of the panthers site is also the media guy and he reckons he was talking to frank at their legends dinner and frank said he wanted to stay at penrith!
Hope we dont have another turner saga! :(

Steve
06-10-06, 12:47 PM
Anyhow,back on topic..
The guy in charge of the panthers site is also the media guy and he reckons he was talking to frank at their legends dinner and frank said he wanted to stay at penrith!
Hope we dont have another turner saga! :(

No, I don't think we will.
Frank wants to stay at Penrith, yes, but only if the Titans allow it, which it seems, they won't.

Pale Ale Panther
06-10-06, 07:42 PM
Preston was NEVER going to re-sign with the panfers or anyone else.. :whatd:

All true, but he still had to have permission to have talks with the Titans, :) Rob only posted what he got told, the only way Frank will be at the Panthers next year is if the Titans first find someone to replace him and 2nd they agree to let him stay, thats it ? :) :)

Q Dave
07-10-06, 12:15 AM
Frank has left the Panthers before, spending some time at Souths where he played well below the high expectations they had of him, in already understrength packs.

Since his return to the Panthers, he has found some form and featured quite strongly in particular games in 2006, many of them middling to late in the season. So strongly in fact, he was one of the Panthers best for a period. As such, he attracted a lot of attention from new quarters within the Panthers themselves, especially their ardent fans.

Titan fans would also realise that his brother Tony has captained the Panthers for most of the year as a result of disciplinary action taken by the club in relation to marquee player Craig Gower. Tony has been a fair captain too. Some even rate Frank as a better player than Tony.

To say that Frank had links with Penrith would be an understatement. As far as his signing went, I understand that the Titans recruited him well before he began to bedazzle the folks at home this year. In that case, they got a bargain on paper-a tribute to their recruitment staff who have done a sound job this year, no, an excellent job.

The Panthers are awash with talented juniors and a genuinely great footballing staff. I think they underestimated Frank's ability and potential, otherwise they would have focused upon him as they did with Frank Pritchard and Luke Priddis this year. To their credit, they secured both of these high order players (not to mention the best coach in the game) with only slight or minimal discomfort. To be fair however, Frank himself wasnt displaying the kind of form earlier in the season or in fact late last year that would have led them to that ready conclusion that he was about to become a major assett. As such, he may have slipped under their radar a touch. I think he may have surprised himself too!

Of course for the titans to make good the bargain, they need to ensure that Frank can keep up his form and even improve upon that. If so, he could be the surprise packet of their outstanding recruitment program. Their best even.

Having followed Frank's career for at least 4 years now, my view of Frank is that he is a player who will give 100% wherever he plays. Regrettably sometimes his intentions do not manifest themselves on the feild as he would like them to. Thats football. He is and will always be, a well intentioned footballer. Thats half the battle these days, Frank has that quality built-in.

Frank is probably experiencing the effects of the impending homesickness and a degree of unfamilarity and trepidation associated with his move. This will be the case to different extents for almost all of the titan players. As foundation players they have special reponsibilities in the franchise. I have no doubts that they will be made to feel at home as best as the titan's can manage.

I would expect that Frank will settle in nicely. Whether he plays as well as he has this year will take a tremendous effort. Not initially perhaps I think, but as he feels more settled and confident he is bound to improve.

I wish Frank much success at the Titans, I really do. I will be watching his move earnestly. Him and that super-star Brian Carney.

I am not surprised that the Panther fans feel a little despondent at his loss. But they should not forget that they boast one of the most respected and feared packs in the league. A pack that I imagine that the Titans would be extremely grateful to possess themselves. A pack so strong that despite his great form, Frank was considered excess to core requirements.

I can assure viewers that Frank is the kind of player who is also a decent a fellow that you can find. I have met a few of his former acquaintances connected with the Panthers and they all speak highly of him.

I think there is some truth that underneath the titans there is a strong Panther influence and association. That should create a respectful bond between the clubs that both can use to further their respective interests.

The Titans would be a lessor club without that Panther influence.

It will be a tremendous first contest in 2007. A historic occasion, if you have to get a titans game, this is it. When the players shake hands afterwards, you will sense a degree of kinship between them that no other side will muster. Kindred spirits whether they recognise it or not!

My friends at the Panthers say they will miss Frank and he leaves with the best of good-byes and wishes. Not all clubs are as kind as the Panthers.

Steve Dangerous
07-10-06, 12:33 AM
Woah. Top post, Dave. I enjoyed reading all that.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the quality input. I only have free-to-air telly, so I don't get to see the panthers quite so much.. but judging from your report Frank will be great in the right hands (which i'm confident the titans possess).

Q Dave
07-10-06, 01:00 AM
Woah. Top post, Dave. I enjoyed reading all that.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the quality input. I only have free-to-air telly, so I don't get to see the panthers quite so much.. but judging from your report Frank will be great in the right hands (which i'm confident the titans possess).

Thanks for that. As you can see, I am big Frank fan, I hang about a bit with the Panthers but I am a Souths member ( a bit of the 25% Rusty and Holmes a court dont own) I know Pale Ale from another forum. He's one of the best posters there, so I saw his name here and followed through.

You know he met Frank and put a question to him, that takes guts and he's sharing it here. Thats pretty good stuff for a forum I reckon.

For all of you Titan fans, its been a tough year for other clubs this year watching you snap up these great players day after day, week after week.

The Panthers have a different strategy, they want to build on their juniors and are in the market for a few marquee players. By neccessity the Titans have to mix it up.

Brian Carney was just senstaional this year. He too said he was sorry to leave Newcastle. Everyone is a bit sad to leave home but they will all adjust.

I met Cartwright once, years ago and I was impressed. He is very down to earth. He knows the players need some time getting to know their new home. He's probably employed pyschologists to help out.

Bennett does that with the Broncs you know (true). I thought I saw a few shrinks doing the victory lap (in white coats writing stuff down!)

This will be one great ride this year for the Titans and their fans.

My tip: talk your side up as often as possible, forgive and be positive! (we learn that at Souths!!)

Thanks for the welcome, much appreicated, cheers.

PROMETHEUS
07-10-06, 09:46 AM
Welcome q dave, you will enjoy it here..its a Rob and 03 free zone! :roll:

Q Dave
07-10-06, 01:20 PM
Welcome q dave, you will enjoy it here..its a Rob and 03 free zone! :roll:

Thanks for the welcome Prometheus. As you know, I like a joke and mean no harm.

Rob and 03 get on my nerves as much as I get on theirs I suppose!

O3 has a signature out to taunt me at the moment! I am proud that he's gone to the trouble!

Now I worry about the titans forwards, sleepness nights over the effectiveness thereof! Murraymob has laid down the challenge. How am I going to defend the titans forwards that feature our Frank.

I am sure I could do some research, but on that point-last week I am NRL.com looking at the top 20 players in their categories-you know, tryscorers hit ups blah blah.

From that I worked out that the Broncs could win the GF, but I didnt want to publicise those feelings (you know how it is) and the people here at home love Billy Slater. I am watching the game at home and I am getting text messages about the ref. Good grief!

Anyway, I'm bumping into a couple of Souths players in the top 20 and then I think of Marquee signing Roy Asotasi and I go looking for him and I cant find him in the lists prominently (he could be there somewhere).

And I think, wow, Roy is Andrew John's best forward ever. And big Willie says he has the ability to smash him to bits (source: Red & Green Oct edition). But he doesnt figure very prominantly on lists etc. Well so much for stats then.

So I concluded that top players dont neccessary appear in these statistics.

On that basis, some of the more regular forwards the titans have may be able to do the job a la Tigers 2005. They dont have to be elite, just good honest workers. Lets see how they go.

And I told murraymob that the the Titans backs are the land of milk and honey.

They are an extremely exciting group, they will bond incredibly well, and the more I think about them, the more I like them.

SOLIOLA
27-11-06, 01:10 PM
FRANK Puletua has been released from his playing contract by Gold Coast Titans.

Puletua, 27, signed to play two seasons with the new NRL club after spending three years with Penrith, but he was granted a release on compassionate grounds today.

"Frank approached the club some months ago, requesting a release from his contract which was initially declined," Titans managing director Michael Searle said.

"Frank has recently had further issues arise, and he presented those circumstances to the club and his request for release based on compassionate grounds.

"The club has offered Frank an unconditional release, effective immediately, based on these compassionate grounds.

"I have today contacted (Penrith chief executive) Michael Leary and advised him of our decision and provided him with our support should the Penrith Panthers wish to sign Frank for a further term now that we have released him.

"It's important to note that the circumstances surrounding this compassionate release are private and confidential, and we would ask that the Puletua family' privacy is respected at this time."

Source: www.foxsports.com.au

SuperCliffy#01
27-11-06, 02:16 PM
Puletua can now concentrate on his situation close to home, and earning his keep with the Penny Panthers, right decision made, congrats to all concern.cya. :clap:

DeeGan
27-11-06, 02:32 PM
Best of luck to Frank for the rest of his rugby league career. He misses out on being apart of something special up here though family comes first.

All the best.

Future Star
27-11-06, 03:44 PM
its a big loss for the Gold Coast with Turner edging further away, and Friend in the hospital...

Pale Ale Panther
27-11-06, 04:38 PM
Best of luck to Frank for the rest of his rugby league career. He misses out on being apart of something special up here though family comes first.

All the best.

agre 100%, :peace: but lets hope Frank will be part of something special in Penrith, another GF win would be nice :) :)

Queenslander
27-11-06, 04:55 PM
Puletua would've retired, says coach
Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:30 PM

New Zealand Test forward Frank Puletua would have retired from the NRL if Gold Coast had not granted him a release on compassionate grounds, says Titans coach John Cartwright.

On the same day renegade winger Steve Turner failed to turn up to Titans training, Puletua, 27, was allowed to stay in Penrith rather than honour his two-year contract with Gold Coast.

"I didn't want to let him go but given his circumstances I had no other choice," said Cartwright on Monday.

"It was on compassionate grounds and things I don't want to go into.

"Frank confided in me and it's a personal thing that he spoke to me about.

"I've been aware of it for a while. It got to the stage where Frank was going to retire. Circumstances prevailed that he couldn't come (to the Gold Coast)."

Penrith chief executive Mick Leary said he would move immediately to re-negotiate a contract with Puletua.

Titans managing director Michael Searle, who was unavailable for comment, had threatened to fine Turner if he was a no-show at training on Monday.

"He still doesn't want to go (to the Titans)," said Turner's manager David Riolo.

"The Turner situation is more about a clash between two CEOs rather than the actual player, who's a pawn in the middle of their battle now."

Riolo said Puletua was released because he was easily replaceable compared to Turner, who started his first grade career as a fullback before scoring 18 tries for the Storm this year as a winger.

"It's about the Gold Coast roster and in some ways I can understand that," said Riolo.

"I feel sorry for their situation. They've agreed terms with a good, young player and he's changed his mind.

"You could do that a thousand times and nothing happens but this time it's exploded in their face and it's not their fault."

Cartwright rejected any similarities between the cases of Puletua and Turner, who agreed to join the Titans for three years in June only to backflip two months later and re-sign with the Storm until the end of 2009.

"They can compare all they like but those people don't know the facts," Cartwright retorted.

"I've known about Frank for quite a long time and we were able to make plans in case it got to the stage where we did have to release him.

"We've got to that stage now and we've covered ourselves."

Cartwright said he had "washed his hands" of the long-running Turner saga, claiming it was an administration issue.

After speaking to Turner on Monday morning, Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said the 22-year-old was "very stressed".

"Steve's just having a few days to try and recharge his batteries after a stressful end to last week," Waldron said.

Searle and Waldron will come face to face at a two-day CEO's conference in Sydney starting on Wednesday.

Source: AAP

titansroostersfan
27-11-06, 10:54 PM
Well another one leaves. What players are left on the market or young guys we could bring to the club to fill these positions.

DeeGan
28-11-06, 06:59 AM
Well another one leaves. What players are left on the market or young guys we could bring to the club to fill these positions.

From the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20828733-5006066,00.html

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright has defended the Titans' decision to release Frank Puletua on "compassionate grounds" despite refusing to budge on the controversial Steve Turner contract fiasco.

Denying the move may set a dangerous double standards precedent, Cartwright said the Titans were fully aware of Puletua's case of cold feet midway through the year. Puletua has "extenuating family circumstances'' surrounding his decision and will now remain playing in the NRL with Penrith.

The article ends with, "The Titans signed Canberra forward Kris Kahler to compensate for Puletua's anticipated departure."

I am not sure what the issue is at home for Puletua though it must be something close to the heart of the big fella who it is said would have retired if he was not able to get a release which Carty said he "would have did the same thing" ...

maroon man
28-11-06, 11:00 AM
Congratulations to the Titans for showing the level of compassion they have with Frank. And I sincerely believe their treatment of Frank proves that they are not being stubborn b%#*@*s for the sake of it. They are showing that each case will be treated on its merits and in Turner's case, there is no compelling reasons to have the Titans reverse their decision.

Good luck and good health, Frank.

usydpanther
28-11-06, 05:41 PM
Just curious I just watched FOXsports news and Matt Elliot called it a trade of players (Frank Puletua for Kris Kahler). Just curious was that a direct trade ... everything written about the incident refers to it as completely seperate.

ILLplusMATIC
28-11-06, 06:43 PM
I don't think it was a 'direct' trade, rather they signed Kahler after having fears that Puletua would not honour his contract.

Grimmace
03-12-06, 07:43 PM
Family comes first for Puletua
By Peter Badel
December 03, 2006

FRANK Puletua has broken his silence to reveal how a dual family setback was the catalyst for his decision to quit the Gold Coast and return to Penrith.

The veteran forward became inadvertently embroiled in the Steve Turner contract fiasco when he was released by the Titans last Monday on compassionate grounds - sparking claims the NRL's 16th team was guilty of double standards.

The Titans have since remained tight-lipped on the precise reasons behind Puletua's departure. But Puletua, 28, has opened up about the recent heartbreak that has beset his family and prompted him to return to Sydney.

A fortnight ago, Puletua's grandmother Lua passed away after battling cancer, while father Mu, in his 60s, has suffered lately after a lengthy struggle with diabetes.

Puletua, who signed a two-year deal with the Titans in August, told of the emotional torment of losing his grandmother, then getting married, in the space of just five days.

"It's been a very trying time for myself and the family," he said. "Footy's been the last thing on my mind.

"I'm disappointed I had to seek a release but because of the circumstances I had to prioritise my life and the fact is my family has to come first.

"A lot has gone on. In the same week I got married my grandmother passed away. We were very close."

Puletua said that without the Titans' support he would have retired.

"They've been great," he said. "John (Cartwright, coach), had complete understanding for the difficult position I was in."

Source: Sunday Telegraph

Go_The_Doggies
05-12-06, 01:52 PM
Poor family :(

I <3 Franky and Tony and hope they're all holding up ok.

Future Star
05-12-06, 04:32 PM
Thats sad....

Wish them all the best.