PDA

View Full Version : Kangas' maroon touch

DIEHARD
20-11-06, 01:22 AM
Taking the understanding developed at Origin level into the international arena might hand Australia a crucial advantage in Saturday's Tri Nations Test against the Lions, according to captain Darren Lockyer.

Following the recalls of Johnathan Thurston at half-back and Justin Hodges at centre, six of the seven backline positions will be filled by Queenslanders when the side runs out in the state capital at the weekend.

Dragons centre Mark Gasnier is the only New South Welshman among them.

And when you throw incoming hooker Cameron Smith into the mix as well, Ricky Stuart's side has a distinctly Queensland feel to it.

Lockyer said from the Kangaroos' final training session before the clash that he and Thurston have formed a good understanding on and off the field since linking up in the halves in State of Origin.

The Brisbane Broncos five-eighth also revealed he had seen encouraging signs during training this week.

"Your preparation through the week gives you a good indication about a lot of things and it's been good this week with Johnathan and Cameron," Lockyer said.

"I think things are looking good for us but at the same time things can go wrong."

"There's not one player out there that I haven't played football with before. Everyone is familiar with one another so that's got to help, particularly in the backs."

"But obviously Cameron, myself and JT have played a fair bit of football in the past together and I think that helps."

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart will be hoping that connection among the backs prevents a repeat of the series of dropped balls and failed sets of six seen a fortnight ago in Great Britain's shock 23-12 win in Sydney.

"It's a matter of getting to your kick," Stuart said when asked about the importance of Lockyer and Thurston's kicking games.

"We've got good kickers in the team but we weren't even getting to the kick in the last game."

"We dropped around nine footballs and you can't afford to do that in any type of game, and at this level you don't expect it."

"We've got to get ourselves in the position to build pressure than maintain it."

Stuart also said the coaching staff had addressed the recent examples of poor discipline - culminating in Willie Mason's one-match suspension for striking Lion Stuart Fielden - during the build-up to the game.

"Our last three games we've been on the back end of the penalty count - and very heavily," he said. "It disrupts your style of play and we've been on the back foot a number of times."

"The loss against Great Britain gave us a real wake-up call. Tomorrow night I think you'll see a different team."

Sportal

DIEHARD
20-11-06, 01:23 AM
Well we won, but I think its important to highlight this amazing feat by Queensland.

Especially filling the important roles of #1, #6, #7, and #9.

If only we had some more young brilliant forwards we would rule the rugby league world against all comers.

Future Star
22-11-06, 06:42 PM
so tru dat.

Thaiday is a young star forward, and who knows, that Eastwood (or wateva his name is) fella might be the next Shane Webcke.

Robbie_Dee
22-11-06, 08:00 PM
That's amazing that figure! 6 out of the back 7 are QLD'ers! thats unreal! Looking forward to origin next year!

Queenslander
22-11-06, 08:04 PM
It always makes a Queenslander proud to read articles such as this. Hopefully one day the entire Australian squad will be full of Queenslanders ;)

patrick
22-11-06, 08:45 PM
Very interesting fact.

so tru dat.

Thaiday is a young star forward, and who knows, that Eastwood (or wateva his name is) fella might be the next Shane Webcke.
But Greg Eastwood's a Kiwi... :mad:

Casey's Angel27
22-11-06, 10:24 PM
So how many queenslanders are actually in the Kanga's side compared to the others?

Future Star
23-11-06, 08:46 AM
Very interesting fact.

But Greg Eastwood's a Kiwi... :mad:

does he qualify to play for australia, though?
does anyone no?

Grimmace
23-11-06, 08:55 AM
does he qualify to play for australia, though?
does anyone no?
Nope hes a kiwi through and through.