PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations 06: Grand Final; Kangaroos vs Kiwis

Queenslander
19-11-06, 08:00 PM
Tri-Nations 2006: Grand Final

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS vs http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gif NEW ZEALAND KIWIS
Saturday 25th November, 8:00 PM; Aussie Stadium

Referee: Ashley Klein

Team Notes:

Kangaroos

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 3 Losses: 1; Points For: 95 Points Against: 66

Last Tri-Nations Result: Defeated the Lions 33-10

Kiwis

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 2 Losses: 2; Points For: 85 Points Against: 63

Last Tri-Nations Result:Defeated the Lions 34-4

New Zealand has named an unchanged team for Saturday night's Tri-Nations decider with Australia at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

Kiwi coach Brian McClennan has shown faith in the squad which defeated Great Britain 34-4 in Wellington two 10 days ago, saying that continuity plays a large role at the selection table.

The defending Tri-Nations champion heads into the final as underdog, having lost to Australia in its three previous meetings this year.

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif KANGAROOS

Karmichael Hunt
Brent Tate
Mark Gasnier
Justin Hodges
Greg Inglis
Darren Lockyer (c)
Johnathan Thurston
Willie Mason
Cameron Smith
Petero Civoniceva
Andrew Ryan
Nathan Hindmarsh
Luke O'Donnell
Interchange:

Shaun Berrigan
Anthony Tupou
Mark O'Meley
Brent Kite

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gifKIWIS

Brent Webb
Shontayne Hape
Iosia Soiola
Steve Matai
Manu Vatuvei
Nigel Vagana
Stacey Jones
Ruben Wiki (capt)
Dene Halatau
Roy Asotasi
David Kidwell
Simon Mannering
David Fa'alogo
Interchange:

Motu Tony
Nathan Cayless
Adam Blair
Frank Pritchard

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations: Grand Final information and game day spoilers***

Poida
19-11-06, 11:20 PM
Tate stakes bid for Tri-Nations final

Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:53 PM

Australia coach Ricky Stuart faces a tough decision to choose his Tri Nations final wingers with Brent Tate, Matt King and brilliant youngster Greg Inglis all vying for selection.

King missed Saturday night's 33-10 win over Great Britain at Suncorp Stadium with a calf injury.

He still has to prove his fitness for the eagerly awaited re-match with last year's champions New Zealand who embarrassed the Kangaroos 24-0 12 months ago.

Tate, a member of that side, would love the chance to erase the demons he and others have carried for the past 12 months.

While he dropped a difficult Mark Gasnier flick pass which could have led to an early try, his performance overall against the Lions was very good.

Tate finished the night with a spectacular try after the full time siren, regathering a kick from Brisbane teammate Karmichael Hunt.

He was denied a try earlier when Lions winger Gareth Raynor somehow halted his progress close to the line.

Stuart was impressed with Tate's strong game, experience and ability to come up with tries in big games, like he did for Brisbane in last month's grand final.

"We get a chance to have a shot at the Kiwis again which is what a lot of us have been waiting for," said Tate.

"But we're going to have to improve again because they (Kiwis) were ultra impressive beating Great Britain the previous weekend.

A fit King would be close to an automatic choice for the final, while Inglis is regarded as the most exciting young player in the world.

But Stuart could be swayed by Tate's desire to settle the score with the Kiwis and the winger's try after the siren was a timely reminder of his awareness and ability to be in the right place at the right time.

He was heading for the dressing rooms when Nathan Hindmarsh slipped a pass to Hunt just as the siren sounded.

"I don't know how many times you follow up those breaks and they don't kick it your way, so tonight I got lucky I guess," Tate said afterwards.

"I think (Hunt) stubbed his toe when he kicked it, it was that ordinary but it came off nicely," laughed Tate.
Source: AAP

Poida
19-11-06, 11:26 PM
Roos need to lift
Sunday, 19 November 2006 @ 1:12 PM
sportal.com.au
http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/091258news.jpg
Victorious coach Ricky Stuart has agreed with counterpart Brian Noble's assessment the Kangaroos will need to take their game to higher plane to beat New Zealand in Saturday's Tri Nations final.

A dominant display from captain Darren Lockyer, who scored one try, had a hand in three others and converted a second-half field goal with British momentum building laid the platform for Saturday's 33-10 win over the Lions.

Lockyer and recalled half-back Johnathan Thurston ran the show for the Aussies in the first-half with three converted tries giving Stuart's side a handy 18-4 lead at the interval.

But a courageous second-half fight back from the Lions prompted Noble to say he though Australia would need improve to beat the reigning champions in the Sydney decider.

"Australia were deserved winners but the scoreline probably flatters them in the end with that late score," the GB coach said.

"I think the Australians will have to step up a little bit. They will, they generally do in finals but I think it's going to be a really close game."

Although they have already beaten the Kiwis twice in the current Test series to book an early berth in the final, Stuart will be well aware of close tussles the pair enjoyed last year.

Each side won one game apiece in the lead-up before New Zealand thumped Australia 24-0 in the final.

And Stuart admitted he had reminded his side of that exact fact after the game.

"That's a fair call and something we have spoken to the players about," he said of Noble's comments.

"But don't lose sight of the fact that they (Britain) are a good football team out there tonight."

He preferred, however, to saviour his side's sweet revenge victory after a fortnight's discussion about the upset defeat to the British in Sydney.

Patchy defensive efforts so far this year has seen the Kangaroos give up 18, 15 and 23 points in their past three encounters.

But after holding firm under some intense second-half pressure, Stuart praised the nature of the 23-point victory, particularly after racing to a 12-point lead inside seven minutes.

"It was a lot different to what we've had over the last three games," he said. "I think definitely two, maybe the three of them we've had the opposition score against us."

"We've been on the back of the penalty counts and we haven't had good completion rates."

"But tonight I think we completed eight-out-of-eight in our first phase of the game and it helped us settle into the match."

~Wild Child~
19-11-06, 11:30 PM
Roos need to lift
Sunday, 19 November 2006 @ 1:12 PM
sportal.com.au
http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/091258news.jpg
Victorious coach Ricky Stuart has agreed with counterpart Brian Noble's assessment the Kangaroos will need to take their game to higher plane to beat New Zealand in Saturday's Tri Nations final.

A nt display from captain Darren Lockyer, who scored one try, had a hand in three others and converted a second-half field goal with British momentum building laid the platform for Saturday's 33-10 win over the Lions.

Lockyer and recalled half-back Johnathan Thurston ran the show for the Aussies in the first-half with three converted tries giving Stuart's side a handy 18-4 lead at the interval.

But a courageous second-half fight back from the Lions prompted Noble to say he though Australia would need improve to beat the reigning champions in the Sydney decider.

"Australia were deserved winners but the scoreline probably flatters them in the end with that late score," the GB coach said.

"I think the Australians will have to step up a little bit. They will, they generally do in finals but I think it's going to be a really close game."

Although they have already beaten the Kiwis twice in the current Test series to book an early berth in the final, Stuart will be well aware of close tussles the pair enjoyed last year.

Each side won one game apiece in the lead-up before New Zealand thumped Australia 24-0 in the final.

And Stuart admitted he had reminded his side of that exact fact after the game.

"That's a fair call and something we have spoken to the players about," he said of Noble's comments.

"But don't lose sight of the fact that they (Britain) are a good football team out there tonight."

He preferred, however, to saviour his side's sweet revenge victory after a fortnight's discussion about the upset defeat to the British in Sydney.

Patchy defensive efforts so far this year has seen the Kangaroos give up 18, 15 and 23 points in their past three encounters.

But after holding firm under some intense second-half pressure, Stuart praised the nature of the 23-point victory, particularly after racing to a 12-point lead inside seven minutes.

"It was a lot different to what we've had over the last three games," he said. "I think definitely two, maybe the three of them we've had the opposition score against us."

"We've been on the back of the penalty counts and we haven't had good completion rates."

"But tonight I think we completed eight-out-of-eight in our first phase of the game and it helped us settle into the match."
Happy to see the Locky/ Thurston combo come back as strongly as they did...:win:...I hope it stays this way for the remainder of the Series... :win:

Poida
19-11-06, 11:32 PM
lol yes then its locky v thurston come first round

~Wild Child~
19-11-06, 11:33 PM
lol yes then its locky v thurston come first round
Oh...finally Locky has some competition :D

Poida
19-11-06, 11:34 PM
Thurston to retain spot
Sunday, 19 November 2006 @ 10:05 AM
sportal.com.au
http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/091248news.jpg
Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed that Johnathan Thurston will play at half-back during next week's Tri-Nations final against New Zealand..

Thurston won praise from his coach after he answered his critics with a man-of-the-match performance during Australia's 33-10 victory over Great Britain.

After controversially selecting Ben Hornby in the pivotal position ahead of Thurston earlier in the tournament, Stuart believes that the 23-year-old will play a crucial role in helping Australia re-claim the Tri-nations title from the Kiwis.

"That performance tonight was a lot better than his first two, and it's the sort of performance that's needed next week," Stuart told the ABC.

"I've spoken to Johnathan privately about that, and he knows the reason why I played Benny Hornby the week after. And it's important that he knows he's got that in him."

Stuart was pleased with the way his team performed against Great Britain, pointing to the improved completion rate early in the match as the reason for the quality performance.

"Tonight I think we completed eight-out-of-eight in our first phase of the game and it helped us settle into the match."

With the Tri-nations final to be played on November 25, Stuart is wary that his players will have little time to recover from any knocks they received against Great Britain.

"It's going to be very important for me and the staff as to how we prepare the players this week with our training."

"We'll probably we have to lighten the load a little, but we still have a little bit of work to do in areas of the game to improve, to jump up and play better, to try and win."

~Wild Child~
19-11-06, 11:36 PM
Johnathan Thurston was the stand out player in the last game..he definately brings something special to his game. :clap:

DIEHARD
20-11-06, 01:44 PM
Australia v New Zealand should be a classic and intense conflict which either team could win.

It's good to have the defending Tri Nations champions lining up against the Roos.

I think the Kangaroos will win but the Kiwis are a massive danger.

Mason v Kidwell will be great and there may be a bit of rough stuff.

Grimmace
20-11-06, 01:51 PM
Kiwis have to be favourites for this game.

This shall be a classic game with a lot of personal battles at hand e.g mason vs kidwell.

Prepare yourselves as i can see some biffs happenning in the game as i expect it to be a slog it out in your face kind of game.

DIEHARD
20-11-06, 01:55 PM
And it has been awhile since we have played the Kiwis after they have played the Lions twice, the Fien saga and got into the Final. They'll be a better team than we last played them.

Grimmace
20-11-06, 02:35 PM
Kiwis gunning for Tri-Nations titles
Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:31 PM

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan says winning back-to-back Tri-Nations rugby league titles would rank among the country's greatest sporting achievements.

The Kiwis thrashed the Kangaroos 24-0 in last year's final to end Australia's 27-year domination of international league.

The two teams meet again in the Tri-Nations decider at Aussie Stadium on Saturday.

Australia will go in as favourites after winning the past three meetings between the sides - including two victories earlier in the tournament last month.

McClennan, though, said his side is starting to peak in the competition following their 34-4 demolition of Great Britain last match.

And he said winning again would be another massive boost for rugby league in New Zealand.

"It would be one of the sporting feats in New Zealand because people back home respect how good Australia is in rugby league," McClennan said.

"If we could pull this off it would be huge back home."

Go_The_Doggies
20-11-06, 03:04 PM
"If we could pull this off it would be huge back home."

Would it what!!..last year it was up there with the grand slam win by the All Blacks!! and I believe if we win it again this year it shall be bigger then the All Blacks end of season tour this year!

Go_The_Doggies
20-11-06, 03:06 PM
Kiwis Working Hard On Title Defence
20/11/2006
NewstalkZB

http://xtramsn.co.nz/homepage2/imageLargeView/0,,6588484,00.jpeg
Stacey Jones?Getty Images / Marty Melville

The Kiwis are already deep into preparation for this Saturday's Tri Nations rugby league final.

After reassembling in Sydney on Wednesday the team trained on Thursday and Friday, and had a heavy defence session on Saturday.

Coach Brian McClennan will be putting the team through their paces again on Monday.

He says the team will do weight training, have a solid outdoor session on Tuesday, and then more fine tuning for the rest of the week.

McClennan will name his side on Tuesday.

Meh
20-11-06, 03:26 PM
I sure am glad Bennet backed down from that threat to recall the kiwis from the tournament, would have been a waste of a series...probably better he isnt in the picture anymore with decisions like that, even if made in the heat of the moment...
a few weeks later and i think the kiwis might just have some kind of advantage going into the final of the tri nations.

jenny
20-11-06, 03:49 PM
Kiwis rested and hungry

AUSTRALIA skipper Darren Lockyer says the nature of New Zealand's 34-4 win over Great Britain is all the motivation the Kangaroos need for Saturday night's Tri-Nations final at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

DIEHARD
20-11-06, 04:46 PM
If the Kiwis bailed out the damage would have been enormous, something international rugby league could never have recovered from.

One big casulty would have been good will and cooperation of media and sponsors. Multi national Gillette would not have bene happy, you do not play school yard games with blue chips.

jenny
20-11-06, 05:07 PM
League
King pushes for starting spot

November 20, 2006

AUSTRALIA winger Matt King is confident he'll be fit to push for a berth in Saturday night's Tri-Nations final against New Zealand.

The Melbourne Storm flyer has been struggling with a calf injury, but after completing a light training session today he is confident he'll be right to challenge for a spot in the Kangaroos' talent-laden backline.

"It went a lot better than expected today so it was pretty pleasing," King said.

"I'm pretty confident I've got on top if it now. I'm not 100 per cent, but pretty close to it. If I get through tomorrow's session and Wednesday's session, I'll certainly give (coach) Ricky (Stuart) something to think about.

"I just want a jumper. It's a pretty classy backline at the moment. I'll be happy enough to fit in anywhere along that."

Australia plays the Kiwis at Aussie Stadium looking to re-claim the Tri-Nations title after New Zealand surprised the Kangaroos 24-0 in last year's decider.

AAP

Robbie_Dee
20-11-06, 05:43 PM
All i hope is to see Mason come one and be sensible and not get sent off in the first 10 minutes! If he does something completely stupid this game, he won't exactly be my favourite person! He sends out a bad image for Australia too!

Oh and i also want to see Australia win too:p :lol!:

~Wild Child~
20-11-06, 06:37 PM
Roos Set For Final Revenge on Kiwis

Article Taken From Sunday Mail

Nov 19

Great Britian coach Brian Noble says Australia will have to 'step it up' to reclaim the Tri-Nations crown next weekend despite the Kangaroos demolishing his Lions 33-10 at a packed Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

Australia will meet NZ in the series decider at Sydney's Aussie Stadium next Saturday in a re-match of the 2005 final when the KIwis embarrassed the Kangaroos with a 24-0 romp.

The Darren Lockyer-inspired Roos ran in six tries to two in front of 44,358 spectators, including a spectacular four pointer to winger Brent Tate after the siren.

But Noble said Ricky Stuart's men would have to lift to exact revenge in the Trans-Tasman showdown.

'This is not disrespectful to the Australians, but they will have to step it up a little bit,' Noble said.

'I'm sure they will improve their intensity.

Stuart agreed with his British counter-part, but did not elaborate on the key areas that needed improvment.

'It's a fair call. It's something I've just talked to the players about too, so I would agree with that' he said

The Kangaroos boss said survivors from the 2005 disaster had talked about avenging the dissappointing result from Leeds last year, but he would not use that result as motivation.

To be honest I don't think I need to and I won't be,' Stuart said.

The players that were there and played, the best motivation they have got is that they know what it feels like to not win the Tri-Nations.

I've heard a couple of the boys talking about it and they were hurting over it but it's not going to be used as motivation.

Stuart said he was delighted with the performance of half back Johnathan Thurston, who was dropped from the side folowing Australia's two victories over New Zealand.....

(This article is incomplete as the finishing paragraphs are duplicates of things already posted here).

jenny
20-11-06, 07:01 PM
Even-money call

By Steve Ricketts

November 20, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

AUSTRALIAN skipper Darren Lockyer says the nature of New Zealand's 34-4 win over Great Britain is all the motivation the Kangaroos need for next Saturday night's Tri-Nations final at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

Lockyer yesterday described the Kiwis as more impressive than the Kangaroos' 33-10 win over Britain at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night but refused to concede favouritism to the Kiwis for the final.

"I reckon it's a 50-50 call," he said.

"We have beaten them both times in the tournament so that's a positive for us.

"But they're in form and they're fresh after a weekend off.

"The fact the Kiwis beat us 24-0 in last year's final in England hasn't been brought up much and it's not a big motivation for the team as a whole.

"Their win over Britain was the best performance by a team in the tournament as far as I'm concerned and that would have done their confidence the world of good.

"That's motivation enough because you know you have to play at your best to beat a team in that sort of form."

Lockyer missed last year's final because of injury but the loss possibly cut even more deeply from his vantage point in the stands at Elland Road, Leeds, where most of the crowd of 26,534 were behind the Kiwis.

There were thousands of British fans in the crowd at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night and Lockyer broke their hearts along with those of the British players when he kicked a field goal in the 73rd minute to make the score 23-10 and end any hope of the Lions at least salvaging a draw which is all they needed to qualify for the final.

The Kiwi team watched the match from their hotel in Sydney where they went into camp last Wednesday in anticipation of an Australian win.

"I didn't think about knocking the Poms out of the final so much as just winning a Test match," Lockyer said of the field goal.

"I would have done it in any other game.

"It's just a natural thing to do."

If Lockyer leads Australia to victory on Saturday he will complete an amazing treble after captaining Queensland to a State of Origin series win and the Broncos to the title.

Tonight in Sydney he is set to be named winner of the 2006 Gillette Golden Boot award presented annually to the player voted the world's best by the rugby league media in Australia, England, New Zealand and France.

Former Australia, Queensland and Broncos skipper Wally Lewis, Lockyer's boyhood hero, was the inaugural winner in 1985 with Brett Kenny, Ellery Hanley, Mal Meninga, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Stacey Jones, Anthony Minichiello and Andy Farrell among the other award winners.

Lockyer won in 2003.

Poida
21-11-06, 10:03 AM
Mason won't back off
Tuesday, 21 November 2006 @ 7:49 AM
sportal.com.au
http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/091328news.jpg
Kangaroos star Willie Mason says he won't be backing off in Saturday night's Tri-Nations final against New Zealand, warning the Kiwis his side is 'ready for anything'.

Mason angered New Zealand when he swore at Queensland-born Kiwi Brent Webb while he performed the Haka in the first Tri-Nations match of the tournament, before being felled by a David Kidwell shoulder charge.

The Bulldogs hard man then missed the return clash a week later as a result of heavy concussion he suffered in the Kidwell incident, before his return was marred by him being suspended for punching Great Britain's Stuart Fielden.

But Mason, who says he will go hard in the game no matter the consequences, is expecting fireworks from both teams.

"It's a final so you can't get suspended," Mason told The Daily Telegraph. "It's a final and a lot of players are just looking at this game - they're not looking at next year."

"They're aggressive, they're big and they love to intimidate - that's what rugby league is all about," Mason added of the New Zealanders. "They always try and use that intimidating factor and they always try and bully us around."

"We are used to it because we've played plenty of Tests against them, so we're going to be ready for anything. Whatever they give to us we will try and give back to them. At the moment they're No.1 in the world - unless we beat them on Saturday night."

Australia and New Zealand go head-to-head in the Tri-Nations final on Saturday night at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

i hope kidwell gives mason another big hit.

~lee~
21-11-06, 10:05 AM
"It's a final so you can't get suspended," Mason told The Daily Telegraph.

ohh man sounds like he is going to put some illegal shots on the kiwis - i cant wait :)

Poida
21-11-06, 10:07 AM
Failures haunt O'Donnell
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003409,00.html

Failures haunt O'Donnell

Steve Ricketts
November 19, 2006 11:00pm
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5309707,00.jpg

IMPRESSIVE . . . Kangaroo lock Luke O'Donnell proves hard to take down on
Saturday night. Picture: Jamie Hanson.

AUSTRALIA's lock Luke O'Donnell yesterday revealed his burning desire to bury the demons of 2005 when he was twice on the receiving end in grand finals.

O'Donnell is one of seven survivors from Australia's 24-0 loss to New Zealand in the 2005 Tri-Nations climax in England and played in the Cowboys' 30-16 loss to Wests Tigers in the NRL grand final.

The 26-year-old was magnificent in Australia's 33-10 win over Great Britain at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday with his running battle with British enforcer Adrian Morley a highlight.

The pair swapped jerseys after the match in what could be Morley's last Test for Britain in Australia, the veteran forward throwing his boots into the crowd as he headed to the dressingrooms.

"I've always admired him and it was a great honour to get his jumper," O'Donnell said. "They were a desperate side and they threw a lot at us and displayed a lot of skill.

"The Kiwis will be the same next week and we know what they're capable of after last year.

"That loss is something that has been with me all year and it's certainly part of the motivation for next Saturday. But it's not something we've talked about too much as a team because there are a lot of new faces."

O'Donnell, Matt King, Mark Gasnier, Brent Tate, Petero Civoniceva, Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley are the survivors from the 2005 final with King (calf strain) and Mason (suspension) missing Saturday's win over Britain.

Australian coach Ricky Stuart said he would select his team tomorrow and admitted he had some tough choices to make.

"I don't know which way I'm going to go yet," he said.

Mason is likely to return to the starting pack with Brent Kite dropping back to the bench and Antonio Kaufusi out of the squad while King is set to replace Brent Tate on the wing.

Tate bombed an early tryscoring chance when he put down a pass from Mark Gasnier but showed great positional sense and pace to finish a length of the field move after the hooter.

Halfback Johnathan Thurston cemented his place after being dropped for Ben Hornby for the November 4 clash with Britain and is primed for a big performance against New Zealand maestro Stacey Jones.

"He (Jones) seemed to have a lot of room to move last week because his forwards ran over the top of Great Britain's pack," Thurston said.

"Hopefully we can shut his time down a bit."

Stuart said Thurston knew the reasons he had been dropped and had responded well.

"Me and Sticky (Stuart) spoke about why I didn't play that week and I was looking forward to playing tonight and things just fell into place," Thurston said.

"It's just between us two (what was said) and that's the way I'd like to keep it."

The battle of the packs finished about even on Saturday with Britain's Morley, Gareth Ellis, Gareth Hock and Jamie Pea**** making inroads.

Prop Stu Fielden was a disappointment and copped a physical and verbal pounding from the Australians.

Australian fullback Karmichael Hunt also copped plenty of physical punishment and needed four stitches after a head clash. But Hunt never wavered in his determination to run the ball into the teeth of the defence.

Stuart has called off today's scheduled training run at Kogarah Oval as part of his strategy to give the players light duties after Saturday's torrid clash.

Poida
21-11-06, 10:08 AM
ohh man sounds like he is going to put some illegal shots on the kiwis - i cant wait :)
mason is a complete fool if he does that.
i wouldnt put it past him to want revenge. its about egos and kidwell shattered it good. hope to see him repeat it

Poida
21-11-06, 10:10 AM
Poor crowds endanger Tests (in Sydney)
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001023,00.html

Poor crowds endanger Tests

November 19, 2006

SYDNEY is in danger of losing Test match rugby league following slow ticket sales for Saturday night's Tri-Nations final at Aussie Stadium.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr says officials can no longer sit back and tolerate empty seats at major games in Sydney when Queenslanders are fighting for tickets to any game played at Suncorp Stadium.

"Since Suncorp reopened, we've had crowds of more than 40,000 in Brisbane at every Test,'' Carr said. "And whenever we take a game to Melbourne and promote it as a major event, we get great crowds, support and atmosphere.

"We all realise Sydney is the heartland of rugby league. But for whatever reason, whenever Tests are shown live on TV, fans haven't gone to the ground. It's something we're going to have to look at. We're running a business and gate receipts are an important part of that.''

Two weeks ago the "official'' crowd was 22,000 when Australia played Great Britain at Aussie Stadium. Insiders have told The Sunday Telegraph there was some creative counting going on and the true figure was closer to 18,000.

Grimmace
21-11-06, 11:47 AM
Kiwis unchanged for final

November 21, 2006 NEW Zealand has named an unchanged team for Saturday night's Tri-Nations decider with Australia at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

Kiwi coach Brian McClennan has shown faith in the squad which defeated Great Britain 34-4 in Wellington two 10 days ago, saying that continuity plays a large role at the selection table.

The defending Tri-Nations champion heads into the final as underdog, having lost to Australia in its three previous meetings this year.

The side trained in stifling conditions at Parramatta Stadium this morning, with McClennan saying he would go easy on his squad to ensure it is at its best for Saturday.

The Kangaroos side will be named later today.

Brent Webb, Shontayne Hape, Iosia Soiola, Steve Matai, Manu Vatuvei, Nigel Vagana, Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki (capt), Dene Halatau, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Simon Mannering, David Fa'alogo.
Interchange: Motu Tony, Nathan Cayless, Adam Blair, Frank Pritchard.
AAP

DIEHARD
21-11-06, 02:42 PM
Wow I cant believe the crowd could have possibly been 18,000!

Thats only an above average NRL crowd!!!!

There are massive problems in Sydney!

Why doesn't the NRL just get all season ticket holders onto one list and offer them all Test Match tickets. Even go to ticketek and get the details of people that buy rugby league tickets (Which some teams do already) and send them an offer.

There are 10 NSW based teams! We have one in Southern QLD!

Grimmace
21-11-06, 04:40 PM
Klein takes whistle for final

November 21, 2006 ENGLISH-based Australian referee Ashley Klein has been appointed to control Saturday night's Tri-Nations rugby league final between New Zealand and Australia at Aussie Stadium.

The assignment tops off what has already been a massive week for the former Parramatta junior referee after he was crowned international referee of the year at Monday night's Golden Boot awards dinner.

It will be Klein's sixth international overall after he was the man in the middle in both of Australia's wins over the Kiwis so far this series.

"It has been a great tournament and I'm honoured to play a role in the final," Klein said.

With early fireworks promised on Saturday night, Klein could have his hands full dealing with the likes of Australia big men Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley up against Kiwi juggernauts Roy Asotasi and Ruben Wiki.

But Klein said he would try to keep his role as simple as possible.

"As with any appointment my goal is very simple ? to make sure players and spectators enjoy a good, fair game," he said.

Klein moved to England six years ago and was last year named Super League referee of the year.

AAP

Grimmace
21-11-06, 07:21 PM
Great news for Klien as he has been the best Ref of the series so far, Hope he can comeback to the NRL shortly.

jenny
21-11-06, 08:02 PM
League
Kangaroos team to play Kiwis

November 21, 2006

AUSTRALIA team named for the Tri Nations rugby league final against New Zealand at Aussie Stadium in Sydney on Saturday night.

Australia: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (c), Johnathan Thurston, Willie Mason, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Shaun Berrigan, Anthony Tupou, Mark O'Meley, Brent Kite.

AAP
Share this article:

Capital_Shark
21-11-06, 08:16 PM
League
Kangaroos team to play Kiwis

November 21, 2006

AUSTRALIA team named for the Tri Nations rugby league final against New Zealand at Aussie Stadium in Sydney on Saturday night.

Australia: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (c), Johnathan Thurston, Willie Mason, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Shaun Berrigan, Anthony Tupou, Mark O'Meley, Brent Kite.

AAP
Share this article:

Personally I would of had King over Tate and Thaiday over Tupou. But this team will still beat the Kiwis on Saturday.

Future Star
21-11-06, 08:18 PM

Brent Kite should be starting with big Willie in 2nd row and Ryan on bench.
Brent has been the form Forward of the competion.

I will say this again Thaiday > Tupou.
Ricky is playing favourites again....

Future Star
21-11-06, 08:20 PM
Personally I would of had King over Tate and Thaiday over Tupou. But this team will still beat the Kiwis on Saturday.
and i would of had Hayne over tate last game, so he couldve gotten in the mood for this big game. He was in-form, but now hes had to long a rest.

He couldv'e been the youngest to make an ausse debut, But Ricky doesnt like him.

Capital_Shark
21-11-06, 08:27 PM
and i would of had Hayne over tate last game, so he couldve gotten in the mood for this big game. He was in-form, but now hes had to long a rest.

He couldv'e been the youngest to make an ausse debut, But Ricky doesnt like him.

So everyone Ricky doesn't pick, its cause he doesn't like 'em, and everyone he does pick, its cause he's playing favourites. Even thought his apparent favourite, doesn't even play for the club he coaches.

I don't know whether Hayne should get a spot. Just being in the squad should be enough for him. Sure he scored a lot of tires, but so did Nathan Merritt, and I wouldn't have him in the team.

Poida
21-11-06, 11:12 PM
Kangaroos ready for Kiwi ambush

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 6:09 PM

Kangaroos backrower Luke O'Donnell says a more settled preparation will ensure the Australians don't fall victim to another Kiwi ambush in Saturday night's Tri-Nations final.

O'Donnell, one of six surviving members from the 24-0 flogging dished out by New Zealand in last year's decider, said the Kangaroos were in much better shape heading into this year's clash.

The Kangaroos were beset by injury woes heading into the 2005 final in Leeds with skipper Darren Lockyer and star halfback Andrew Johns both absent after playing earlier in the tournament.

Such was the extent of the injury crisis utility Craig Wing had to be summonsed from a Hawaiian holiday to take his place on the bench.

But there are no such worries this time around, with Matt King cleared of a calf injury, Willie Mason back on deck following a one-game ban and Lockyer playing some of the best football in his career.

"Our preparation this year has been really spot on, everyone's pretty excited," O'Donnell said.

"Having our captain right through the series has been a major factor and he's been playing some great footy.

"This is what we've worked towards the whole tournament, towards this game on Saturday night and it comes down to this 80 minutes of football - that's the exciting part I think."

While victory at Aussie Stadium on Saturday night won't make up for the disappointment of last year's defeat, O'Donnell said reliving the experience wasn't high on his list of priorities.

"We haven't talked about it as a group but for me personally you remember how it ended for us last year and you definitely don't want to revisit that again," O'Donnell said.

"But when it comes down to it you can use all the motivation in the world, but all it comes down to is 80 minutes of footy."

O'Donnell said the return of Mason would provide a massive boost to the Kangaroos pack, which will need to be at its aggressive best against a Kiwi forward line-up boasting the likes of Roy Asotasi, skipper Ruben Wiki and fiery second rower David Kidwell.

The general consensus seems to be that if the Australian forwards can hold their own against the Kiwis pack, the Kangaroos have enough of an advantage out in the backs to get the better of the Kiwis.

For his part, O'Donnell said he would need to lift his output in what will be the final game of a gruelling campaign and season.

"I've been pretty happy with the way things have been going but I don't think I've reached anywhere near my potential at this level, I'm learning still," he said.

"I'm just excited again to be playing another Test match."

Poida
22-11-06, 01:38 PM
Happy Hape Calls For Kiwi Support

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:40 AM

Kiwi flyer Shontayne Hape believes the fan support the Kiwis received in London for last year?s final was a major reason they got over the line, and even though they will be underdogs again he believes this team has the desire and balance to once again lift the Tri-Nations trophy.

?It will be tremendous if we can get plenty of support from the fans at Aussie stadium on Saturday night. Last year we had all the English supporters cheering us in the final, and this year we have had good crowds in Melbourne and in New Zealand out there supporting us.

It is important to us if we can get good support from the crowd then it can really lift us when we are tired out there?.

If the fans do get out to the game they can be assured of a hard fought encounter between two teams who always play with plenty of passion and pride, and despite recent injury concerns Hape is raring to rip in, and is expecting the game to be full of passion.

?Yeah I am just happy to be playing it has been a controversial series but a good series?.

The controversy has come on the field and off it, however it is the fire shown on the field that really has Hape excited.

?This series has brought more focus on to the international game and has everyone being really passionate about playing for their country which is bringing a bit more spite to the game but that?s good for the players and the fans?.

Despite losing both games to the Kangaroos so far, with the second being a heartbreaker Hape believes that the Kiwis can once again lift the Tri-Nations trophy citing the believe by many that last years victory was a fluke as a major driving factor.

?Yeah that is driving us more, but beating Australia is the pinnacle in Rugby league. We are going to go in as the underdogs. The Kangaroos have only lost one game in the build up but the final is a different game and all the other results don?t mean anything now, they are in the past and only the final matters?.

There is no reason why the Kiwis will not win the final either, they have a good roster made up of players who have shown that they have serious quality about them, and lack a weak spot on the park, something that Hape is quick to point out.

?I think that the squad is one of the best we have ever had. We have a good balance between the older more experienced guys kike Ruben (Wiki) and Stacey (Jones) who have a lot of experience, and then we have some good younger guys like Soliola and Matai and they are doing the business for their club and playing great football.

His wing partner Manu Vatuvei is another player who has loads of talent and Hape is somewhat in awe of his national performances.

?Manu has been injured for a bit of this year but whenever it comes time to pull on the New Zealand jersey he lifts his game and gives his all?.

While establishing himself in the United Kingdom Hape has learnt a lot about himself and greatly improved his game, but he is still largely unnoticed when he is in Australia as is the Kiwis prior Tri-Nations victory which is largely unheralded here, but backing it up with another would mean a lot to the Kiwis.

?It will mean everything to win it again for the fans and our families it will mean a lot but also for the players personally it is big, especially seen only hal;f the team is left from last year. We are pretty much set on doing this for ourselves?.

And on his own game Hape has a warning.

?I am feeling pretty confident, I have learned a lot while I have been in England and had a lot of good coaches too. But this is my third year with the Kiwis and I know I can get better in the final?.

Having seen what he can do in the Tri-Nations NRL fans might like to see Hape back over here before the 25 year old ends his career and along with a host of others he admits it could happen.

?I won?t rule it out. Coming back has always been a goal of mine, but England has been good for me and I didn?t intend to stay as long as I have, but my family is here in Sydney so I certainly won?t rule it out?.

Source: NRL

DIEHARD
22-11-06, 02:35 PM
Great to see some constructive articles.

Kiwi flyer Shontayne Hape believes the fan support the Kiwis received in London for last year?s final was a major reason they got over the line, and even though they will be underdogs again he believes this team has the desire and balance to once again lift the Tri-Nations trophy.

The Final wasn't in London!

hugebrianfan
22-11-06, 02:35 PM
aww...GB didnt make it into the Grand Final...so i guess i'l have to go for the aussies lol...GO THE AUSSIES!!

Poida
22-11-06, 02:47 PM
Kiwis bait Mason
Wednesday, 22 November 2006 @ 10:35 AM
sportal.com.au
http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/091406news.jpg
The Kiwis have responded to Willie Mason's threat that he will put up a fight in Saturday night's Tri Nations final, saying that if Mason wants to go at it, the visitors will fight back.

Mason has had an interrupted Tri Nations series. In Australia's first clash with New Zealand, Mason was left concussed and with a black eye after a tough, but legal tackle from David Kidwell.

When he returned in the Kangaroos' first match against Great Britain, Mason was suspended for punching Stuart Fielden.

And Kidwell said he was aware Mason would be looking for revenge despite dismissing suggestions that tension between the pair would heighten this weekend.

"I don't think so but obviously he wants to square up - that's football, mate," Kidwell said.

"I'll just be playing my normal game and we'll see what happens after that."

Kidwell's coach Brian McLennan has said that his team will be going out to get Mason, but they will be using legal methods.

"He's tall timber Willie. If you want to bring down tall timber you've got to get the legs first," McClennan told the Daily Telegraph.

"It's a little bit of a goal of ours to have it so that Willie says at the end of the game that he's never been tackled so hard around his legs."

Former Kiwi Kevin Tamati believed that even if Kidwell is happy to play his normal game, the history of the series shows that Mason is likely to be involved in a stoush or two at Aussie Stadium on Saturday night.

"Willie feels as though his manhood has been tainted," Tamati said.

"He'll feel he has something to prove. I don't think Kidwell is going to let Willie run all over the top of him."

"If a flare-up happens, it will be the 1960s, '70s and '80s all over again."

Tamati would know. He was involved in a famous incident in 1985 when two minutes from the end of the match, he had a spectacular sideline dust-up with then-Kangaroo prop Kangaroo Greg Dowling.

Poida
22-11-06, 02:49 PM
haha mason falls for the bait

DIEHARD
22-11-06, 02:52 PM
Come on Willie get 'em.

Robbie_Dee
22-11-06, 05:51 PM
Now thats a team!

But I would have rathered Thaiday instead of Tupou! :mad:

Poida
22-11-06, 09:17 PM
Stuart fears Lockyer burnout

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:41 PM

Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer is at risk of following Golden Boot winner Anthony Minichiello in suffering burnout, Australian coach Ricky Stuart warned.

Stuart called for a revamp of NRL and representative schedules which he believed were taking a heavy toll on the game's best players.

Speaking just a few days before the 2006 season finally comes to a close with the Tri-Nations decider at Aussie Stadium, Stuart said it was too much to expect the likes of Lockyer to keep churning out big performances on such little rest.

Stuart has seen it all before with several of his former Sydney Roosters players including Minichiello, who capped a stellar 2005 campaign by taking out international player of the year honours.

Lockyer's stunning season in which he led Brisbane and Queensland to triumphant victories was rewarded with a second Golden Boot award earlier this week, but Saturday night's final will come over 10 months after the champion playmaker began pre-season training with the Broncos.

"Burnout hits you and it can hit you without you knowing it's coming," Stuart said.

"Because they're fit and healthy now it doesn't necessarily mean they can handle another one or two seasons with such a workload.

"It's important that we look at the structuring of our rep season and our NRL premiership because we just can't expect them to endure the workload they're under."

Stuart's concerns come from first hand experience with the former Roosters mentor having seen it have a massive effect in his final year at the Bondi Junction club.

"I've seen it with Anthony Minichiello, I've seen it with Craig Wing, I've seen it with Craig Fitzgibbon," Stuart said of his former Roosters Tests stars.

"They just got worn down by the amount of football they were playing."

The heavy workload finally told on Minichiello this year with the former Test custodian not playing again after the Roosters round six tussle with Brisbane.

Minichiello underwent surgery on his back to repair a herniated disc, three straight end of season tours to Great Britain deemed partly responsible for exacerbating the wear and tear on his body.

Lockyer, who is participating in his fourth straight end of season representative campaign - all as captain - said footballers were learning to deal with the heavy workload.

Saturday night will be Lockyer's 35th match of the season, including 26 games for the Broncos, three matches for the Maroons and five Tests for the Kangaroos.

"It's been a long year there's no doubting that, but I just think the players in today's game are used to that, they're used to playing football this time of year," he said.

"It's the Tri-Nations final and everyone's motivated to play and play well.

"It's (the Tri-Nations) been a success this year and it's only going to get better as the tradition grows."

There is some respite on the horizon for Lockyer in 2007 with the Kangaroos scheduled to play only two Test matches - the mid-year Anzac Test against the Kiwis followed by a trip across the ditch after the grand final for a one-off Test.

Poida
22-11-06, 09:18 PM
Lockyer Throws Down Challenge to Sydney

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:16 PM

Australian test captain Darren Lockyer has reacted to his New Zealand counterpart Ruben Wiki?s call for a black out at Aussie Stadium by calling on Sydney fans to turn out in numbers for Saturday night?s Gillette Tri Nations final.

Earlier this week Wiki led the call from the New Zealand team looking to fill the stadium with Kiwi supporters in the traditional Black.

?I hope that there?s lots that turn up and they make it a black out it?d be great, the more Kiwi supporters the better.?

Lockyer says his team is still on a high from the fantastic support they got in Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium last week, the best test match crowd in Australia since 1974, and he urges the fans to get out and support the Kangaroos first home Tri Nations family.

?It?s a great concept the Tri Nations, it?s only in its third year, and it?s been a success in Great Britain now it?s come to the Southern Hemisphere.

It?s always great to play for your country and to play on your home soil is also special as well it?s be a good night on Saturday night for both teams and hopefully the Sydney team can get behind it and come and see a good spectacle.?

24,953 fans turned out at Aussie Stadium 3 weeks ago to see Australia go down to Great Britain and Australian coach Ricky Stuart says he would be disappointed if the crowd was around that mark for Saturday night?s final.

?Yeah for me it would be. It would be very disappointing I think the Brisbane people set the bench mark in regard to enthusiasm and support for rugby league.

Last week we had 150 to 200 people for every training session and I didn?t close any session because I thought it would be unfair to the families and the children who are the grassroots of our game.

To have their support and enthusiasm last week was a great buzz to our players and to have that crowd at Suncorp Stadium was a privilege for the players to run out in front of and that?s what test match football is all about. The players are providing the product on the field and I think it?s important we get the interest off the field.?

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan says the size of the crowd also matters to him.

?For rugby league it does. I went up with Tony Iro to watch the game at Suncorp Stadium and I just thought it was fantastic everyone turning up, supporting their home team and the English had great support.

I think its good for the game and I urge any ex-pat Kiwis living in Sydney to come along and support our team and the Australian supporters get along and support your team, it?s going to be a great Grand Final.?

Lockyer has challenged the Sydney fans to match the support shown in Brisbane for last week?s test against Great Britain.

?Obviously Queenslanders love their rugby league and I think maybe the fact we won the origin and the Broncos won the Premiership may have helped the crowd in Brisbane.

But they saw a great spectacle and I don?t think I?ve played a test match anywhere in Australia with any better atmosphere than last week. And this ground here (Aussie Stadium) it generates a good atmosphere too when there?s a big crowd.

So just come along and support your country, the Ashes are on and you?re supporting an Australian team there come and support the Australian rugby league team as well.?

Poida
22-11-06, 09:19 PM
Aussies play down Tri Nations biff talk

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:31 PM

Rival coaches Ricky Stuart and Brian McClennan did their best to play down talk that Saturday night's Tri-Nations final would deteriorate into a cheap shot free-for-all.

Looking to put a lid on the simmering tensions between the two forward packs, Stuart and McClennan said the team which put emotion to one side and just concentrated on playing football would walk away with the trophy.

"We want to have controlled emotions in the game, I think both teams are very determined to be disciplined," McClennan said as the captains and coaches from both sides gathered at Aussie Stadium.

"It's the team that's the most disciplined that will have a better chance of winning the game.

"We certainly will be keeping our emotions in check."

Speculation has been mounting throughout the tournament that Australian prop Willie Mason would go in search of revenge on David Kidwell after the Kiwi backrower knocked him senseless with a thundering shoulder charge in the series opener.

The two haven't crossed paths since the incident with Mason doing little to quell the anticipated fireworks earlier this week when he said he wouldn't be changing his aggressive approach, the same approach which saw him banned for one match for flooring Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden.

But Stuart said all his players, including Mason, would be instructed to keep their emotions in check.

"I've chatted to all the players - not just Willie - in reference to controlling our aggression," Stuart said.

"I don't condone it (foul play) and we don't want it in the game and it's not something that you actually go out and plan to do, it's just something that erupts."

"It shows how much is at stake, there's a lot of passion. There's a lot of pride in the result and sometimes emotions do overflow."

While echoing Stuart's sentiments, Kangaroos skipper Darren Lockyer said it was important the Australians didn't go too far the other way and go into their shell.

"You just want to be aggressive with your running, your defence - there's nothing illegal about that," Lockyer said.

"We all have aggression, there's no doubting that, but discipline is the key.

"We can't go out there and expect to give away cheap penalties, it puts you on the back foot and you're playing a final, you don't want to be giving away penalties for stupid reasons."

Lockyer warned the Kangaroos would have to improve on their 33-10 win over Great Britain to overcome a New Zealand side which has got better with each outing.

The manner in which the Kiwis disposed of the Lions in Wellington two weeks ago was reminiscent of the sort of form they displayed in running away with last year's Tri-Nations title, playmaker Stacey Jones rampant behind a dominant pack.

Lockyer admitted the Australians were lucky to get away with a win the last time the two sides met, tries to Greg Inglis and Mark Gasnier in the final five minutes at the Telstra Dome in Melbourne robbing the Kiwis of a deserved victory.

"We got out of jail, it was a small wake-up call but not a big enough one because the following week we played Great Britain and lost," Lockyer said.

"Last week was better but not a complete performance."

Both sides will continue their preparations with training sessions on Thursday, the Australian camp taking time out of their schedule to take in the first ball of the Ashes cricket series.

Grimmace
23-11-06, 07:30 AM
Willie's a wuss, legend says
By Mick Daly
November 23, 2006 FORMER Great Britain skipper Tommy Bishop has ridiculed Willie Mason's enforcer status, accusing the Australia hardman of running scared and playing like a "wuss".

Bishop, one of league's toughest ever competitors, claimed Mason had "catted it" after knocking out Lions big man Stuart Fielden in Sydney three weeks ago.

Mason returns from suspension against New Zealand in Saturday night's Tri Nations final, and Bishop has challenged the Bulldogs giant to prove his mettle.

Bishop said Mason should have ripped into the Britain forwards after he decked Fielden but instead sat on his heels.

"He should have run with gusto and really put it into them," Bishop said.

"Then he could say, 'Yeah, I'm a tough guy'. But he didn't do that. He was a little bit wary of things. He never took the ball up for six times after that.

"I'd like to see him play against guys from 30 years ago and see how he went with them.

"But it's a different era now. He wouldn't have lasted two minutes."

Bishop said if Mason tried to intimidate the Kiwis, they should whack him even harder.

"The sort of punch he gave Fielden was like a baby slap," he said.

Former Australia Test prop Greg Dowling returned serve at Bishop, saying last night that he would happily "go to war" with Mason by his side.

Dowling said Mason was as courageous and strong as any forward of the past 20 years.

"Tommy's comments are crazy. Willie's record speaks for itself," Dowling said.

"You don't play Test and Origin football or win premierships if you don't have heart.

"I would have Willie Mason in my side any day of the week. He is a modern day warrior with plenty of guts."

Former Balmain and Kangaroos hardman Steve Roach also stood up for Mason.

"He's knocked the so-called best front rower in the game out in one hit," Roach said.

Source: Courier Mail

jenny
23-11-06, 09:17 AM
Tommy Bishop Pfft!
That was then. :ok: ...This is now. :beer: ..Willie will have a good game!

Future Star
23-11-06, 09:33 AM
You said it Tommy!!!
I wanna see Kidwell snap the hell outta Mason this saturday, a full on brawl!
Both sent to the sinbin and keep on fighting like that time when that NZ and Aus guy kept on fighting!

jenny
23-11-06, 09:37 AM
You said it Tommy!!!
I wanna see Kidwell snap the hell outta Mason this saturday, a full on brawl!
Both sent to the sinbin and keep on fighting like that time when that NZ and Aus guy kept on fighting!
Willie wouldl have him....having said that! i just want to see a good game..Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! that we win! ;)

Grimmace
23-11-06, 09:38 AM
Interesting to note, Mason has not responded to any of this all week he is keeping his mouth shut I dunno why but i see this as a major sign of trouble for the Kiwis and his doubters.

jenny
23-11-06, 09:39 AM
Interesting to note, Mason has not responded to any of this all week he is keeping his mouth shut I dunno why but i see this as a major sign of trouble for the Kiwis and his doubters.
He's saving it , for the game!

Grimmace
23-11-06, 09:41 AM
He's saving it , for the game!
I reckon you would be right there it does seem un willie like though. IF i was the kiwis id be worried right about now that he hasnt responded to anything all week.

Future Star
23-11-06, 09:43 AM
They call him Big Willie, not because of the fact that hes a giant, but because he has a big mouth.

At least for once hes saving it all for the game - hopefully.

Go_The_Doggies
23-11-06, 04:32 PM
I'm not worried..he would have just been told to shut the hell up and don't say anything...

*sigh* Stace looks to be retiring after this game *cries* .. he said he didnt wanna..him and ruben said it would be hard to walk away from the brothership within the camp..but hes getting old.:(

Poida
23-11-06, 04:46 PM
Vagana Expects Fireworks, Wants Blackout

Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 9:59 AM

Early fireworks could be expected in Saturday night?s final according to Kiwi stalwart Nigel Vagana, and with the prospect of a less than full crowd and with plenty of tickets still available he has joined captain Ruben Wiki calling on New Zealand fans to make it a blackout at Aussie Stadium.

?We would love to get as much support as we can for the game on Saturday night, for us, New Zealand football and Rugby League as a whole. Big crowds make games better for everyone?.

?We will take all the support we can get. It would be great to get all the Kiwi fans at the league and blackout Aussie Stadium for the night. That kind of support helps and it would be great for the game?.

When asked if he felt if the majority of support from the crowd was a factor Vagana was positive about it.

?Yeah for sure. Any team that plays and has the majority of the support will respond to it more, and they win more often than not. To have it is great and we need as much support as we can get?.

The prospect of the Kiwi?s having the majority of the support should push Australian fans into action, it would be a sad day for sport in this country if a visiting team had more support than the Kangaroos and Australian captain Darren Lockyer has called on Sydney fans to turn out in droves and get behind our team like they are for the Ashes in Brisbane.

?Obviously Queenslanders love their rugby league and I think maybe the fact we won the origin and the Broncos won the Premiership may have helped the crowd in Brisbane.

But they saw a great spectacle and I don?t think I?ve played a test match anywhere in Australia with any better atmosphere than last week. And this ground here (Aussie Stadium) it generates a good atmosphere too when there?s a big crowd.

So just come along and support your country, the Ashes are on and you?re supporting an Australian team there come and support the Australian rugby league team as well.?

The final promises to be a cracker with both teams fielding strong sides and in great form after what has been one of the best test series in recent memory with plenty of spite, fire, skill and pugilism coming to the fore and Vagana admits that fireworks are likely.

?It?s fantastic to be playing at the top level of the game this week, and it?s a test match, and I haven?t been involved in too many of those that didn?t involve early fireworks?.

There will also be plenty of incentive for the Kiwis going into this game after not getting the respect they deserve for last year?s victory and just falling short last time out against the Kangaroos.

?I think even if we had won that game against the Aussies we would still be up for this game, and maybe it gives some of the guys extra motivation, though I thing playing in the final is enough. The Aussies are a really good team right across the board and you really have to be motivated to beat them?.

Vagana will be focusing on playing his own role at pivot; a position he is becoming more familiar with having played their a bit now in a season that was up and down to say the least.

?There were plenty of twists and turns this year, now I am looking forward to the final, which is always good to play in?.

And Vagana can play a natural running game with Stacey Jones running the show, and is happy to be helping the team.

?Yeah it works well (their combination), Stacey will run the show, and if he gets tackled I?ll step in for a couple of plays, but mostly play a support role. I?ll be happy to sit back and do that. I am happy playing that kind of a role?.

?At the end of the day where I play doesn?t matter as long as I am helping the team, whether that is in the centres or at five-eighth doesn?t matter. I have an understanding with Stacey now and if I play at five-eighth then that?s where I need to be?.

While Vagana was the boom young centre for the Kiwis a few seasons ago, there are plenty of younger players who have burst into the national squad, and Vagana likes the way the centres are shaping up for the future and the final.

?All the young guys have stepped up this series Steve Matai and even Shontayne Hape who has been here in the side for a couple of years and was a huge loss to the game here when he went to England are playing well.

Iosia Soliola has got a lot of potential and he really has lifted his game to the next level. He was supposed to come on tour last year but had to pull out through injury, this year though it is his turn to make his mark and he has really shown what a great player he is and will be?.

Poida
23-11-06, 04:47 PM
Kangaroos, Kiwis eye Tri-Nations glory

Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:14 PM

Equally desperate for Tri-Nations glory, Australia and New Zealand head into Saturday night's final at Aussie Stadium with vastly different motivations.

Veteran prop Petero Civoniceva says the Kangaroos are bent on avenging last year's embarrassing 24-0 series final loss while the Kiwis say they have nothing to prove and they'll be driven by their "brother-like" bond.

Civoniceva said the hurt from last year's trouncing by the Kiwis in England had lingered long into this year.

"(Last off-season) was the longest off-season I've had mainly because of that disappointment and it's something that probably followed me throughout the season," said Civoniceva.

"But this is our chance on Saturday, we have one last 80 minutes to hopefully put all those bad memories to the side."

Civoniceva said the Kangaroos would throw everything into the match, knowing it was the last game of their extended and draining season.

Meanwhile, Kiwis hardman David Kidwell insisted New Zealand was not out to prove last year's series win wasn't a "fluke", even though Australia has won all three matches between the two teams since.

And he said there was no lack of internal motivation within the New Zealand camp.

"I don't think we've got anything to prove, but we have a group of guys that have been together for six weeks and I think we just want to do it for each other and all our families that have sacrificed a lot for us to come here," Kidwell said.

"Kiwi camps are always special and it's a known fact we are very close.

"We are brothers and it does show on the field with our passion and camaraderie.

"This year is no different to last year in that we're all close and we're all gunning for that one goal - to win."

Kidwell said the return of power forward Willie Mason for Saturday's game was a huge boost for Australia but played down another showdown in their first meeting since he hit the big man with a shuddering shoulder charge in the series opener in Auckland.

"I haven't really thought about it, you can't think about those things because you've got a role in your team and the team comes first," Kidwell said.

"I'm sure we're going to come together at some stage, but that's football and whatever happens, happens."

The game is shaping up as a highly physical encounter, despite coaches Ricky Stuart and Brian McClennan playing down any kind of "biff".

Kiwi's captain Ruben Wiki said his side would be more focused on completing their sets and minimising the sort of errors which cost it victory in the final minutes of their 20-15 loss to Australia at the Telstra Dome last month.

New Zealand has named the same side that thumped Great Britain 34-4 two weeks ago, while Brisbane's Brent Tate has retained his spot on the wing for the Kangaroos despite Matt King proving his fitness.

Tate believes Australia's backline can do some real damage if Australia's forwards can get on top early.

"The forward battle is probably going to determine this game," he said.

"Both forward packs are really going to rip in and if our forwards can set a platform for us early then the backs can wreak a bit of havoc."

Poida
23-11-06, 04:48 PM
Asotasi Will Put Friendship on Hold

Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:17 PM

New Zealand forward Roy Asotasi is preparing for a real battle in Saturday night?s Gillette Tri Nations final against Australia at Aussie Stadium and once he runs out on the field friendships made in his 5 seasons at the Bulldogs alongside Willie Mason, Mark O?Meley and Andrew Ryan will be all but forgotten.

Asotasi says he has a lot of time for the 3 Bulldogs in the Aussie pack and the sms banter has been flying between them this week and he?s looking forward to the challenge of playing them in the final.

?They?re good mates of mine so there?s been a bit of fun back and forth between us but come game time we?ll be enemies.?

Before the series started Willie Mason said he wanted to put a big shot on his mate in the Kiwi jumper and Asotasi believes he will still be trying in the final.

?We?ve been talking about that pretty much all year me and Willie about the way we play. I stepped him in the Anzac test and he thought he had me, but he didn?t so he?s still trying to go after me so I?ll be trying to use my footwork on him, he?s a pretty big bloke and he?ll probably knock me over if he gets a good shot on me.?

Mason and Kiwi back rower David Kidwell put some aggro into the series with their actions and comments from game one and Asotasi says it?s helped create more interest in the Tri Nations.

?Yeah it has, they?ve helped draw the crowds I think with all the talk and the hype about what happened in the first test but I guess it?s good for the game, part of league and I think it?s good for the crowd too.?

While Mason is prepared to say what he thinks Asotasi says they Kiwis are well aware he can back up his words through his performance.

?He is the rock for the Australians he does lead that forward pack and he?s pretty fierce Willie when he gets fired up, he?s dangerous.?

However the Dally M prop of the year has backed his Kiwi team mates to stand up and be counted.

?We?ve got good players in our forward pack, we come from all over the place and I guess it?s a good thing that we all know each other quite well now, we?re pretty tight and hopefully we can help each other out on the weekend.?

The aggression in the series has been a big hit with the fans producing some memorable hits and big plays and Asotasi says they will try and out muscle the Kangaroos.

?It?s good for rugby league we like to be an aggressive side and we like to intimidate opponents, hopefully that?s what comes across, but Australia will probably be going out there hoping to do the same thing and we?ll be out there to match them.?

The Kiwis are yet to beat Australia in this series but Asotasi says that means nothing leading into this final.

?It has been a funny Tri Nations series we were very unlucky in Melbourne but we had two good wins and were lucky to come back but we were always confident we were going to make the Grand Final and now we?re going to hopefully have a good game against the Aussies.?

The New Zealand side has improved with every game and even though they dispatched Great Britain 34-4 last start the big prop says they can step up another level in the final.

?Definitely we?ve got at least 15 to 20 percent improvement in us, that?s the good thing ahead of this game and we all know we?ve got those improvements in us.?

The Kiwis have been calling on all the ex pats living in New South Wales to come and support the defending champions and out number the Aussie supporters.

?Yeah hopefully we can get them all out from all over Sydney and hopefully we can have an eclipse at Aussie Stadium to make it a black day.?

Asotasi knows how important it is for the forwards to dominate the game because they can?t afford Australia?s playmakers to be given any room to weave their magic.

?Australia?s got some of the best halves going around in the game. Lockyer?s pretty dangerous and Thurston too, I had the chance to play with him in the lower grades at the Bulldogs and he?s pretty good, but as long as we try to find a way to stop them we?re confident of winning the series.?

The Kiwis arrived in Sydney 10 days out from the game to prepare and Asotasi says that has allowed them plenty of down time to be mentally and physically fresh.

?All the boys are pretty keen and looking forward to it so we have to prepare ourselves and get ready mentally for the game.?

davo
23-11-06, 06:25 PM
THIS GAME SHOULD BE THE BEST ALL YEAR,KIWIS TO TAKE IT OUT, JUST IT WILL BE CLOSE, HOPEFULLY NOT TO MUCH CRAP, THATS EASY ANY IDIOT CAN SMACK YOU, PLAY HARD, ALSO BELEIVE THE REF WILL HAVE A HARD TIME CONTROLING THE MATCH, KIWIS BY 4.0 !!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

jenny
23-11-06, 07:37 PM
Sack Sydney

By Steve Mascord

November 23, 2006 12:00

NEW Zealand have called for Sydney to be snubbed next year in response to the cool reception the harbour city has given Saturday night's Tri-Nations final.

With the crowd at Aussie Stadium unlikely to exceed 30,000 despite world league supremacy being on the line, New Zealand Rugby League acting chairman Andrew Chalmers last night bluntly rejected Sydney as next year's Anzac Test venue.

If the Kiwis get their way, there will be no internationals in the game's Australian cradle until the 2008 World Cup ? which is now likely to culminate in a Brisbane final.

"Our preference for the Anzac Test next year is Brisbane ? and you can quote me on that," Chalmers said.

"Look at the crowds we get up there, the media support and that all translates into commercial success."

ARL officials are leaning towards Sydney for the mid-season international ? mainly because of a glut of football at Suncorp Stadium in 2007.

But Chalmers argued: "This is supposed to be a mecca for league but what sort of crowds have we had in Sydney? I don't know the reason for it but the people in Brisbane seem to get behind international football more."

Last year's Tri-Nations final at Elland Road attracted 26,534 ? even though the home nation wasn't involved.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart said yesterday a 20,000 crowd would be "very disappointing".

"I think the Brisbane people have set the benchmark with regard to the enthusiasm and support they are showing to rugby league," Stuart said.

Australia captain Darren Lockyer agreed his home deserved to be favourite to host the World Cup final.

"I don't think I've played a Test match in Australia with any better atmosphere than last week," five-eighth Lockyer said.

"A lot of players say it's the best stadium to play at. That gives it a big opportunity to host such a big game as the World Cup final."

But Chalmers said it wasn't up to Australians to wave the flag for Sydney at the weekend ? it was down to expat Kiwis.

"I hope every Kiwi in driving distance puts on something black and comes to the game," he said.

jenny
23-11-06, 08:40 PM
Focus on Mason to shift south, says Kiwis coach

November 22, 2006

BRIAN McClennan, New Zealand's newly crowned international coach of the year, claimed Willie Mason's legs and not his head will be the focus in Saturday night's Tri-Nations final at Aussie Stadium.

McClennan said his side wouldn't go out looking for a repeat of the knockout blow David Kidwell put on Mason in the series opener.

"You want to bring down tall timber, you've got to get the legs," McClennan said. "It's a little bit of a goal of ours to have it so that Willie says at the end of the game that he's never been tackled so hard around his legs."

Mason has taken his headline-grabbing to another level during this Tri-Nations. The haka scandal preceded a one-game suspension for punching Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden. Fresh from his one-week ban, Mason has vowed not to back down.

While his first clash with Kidwell, the Melbourne Storm forward, will be eagerly anticipated, his 80-minute duel with Roy Asotasi is one that could well determine the course of the match.

McClennan said that victory on Saturday night would elevate his squad to the top of the pile after last year's stunning romp to the title. "For us to win two Tri-Nations in a row ? we would be deemed the greatest Kiwi team in history," McClennan said.

AAP

Capital_Shark
23-11-06, 08:43 PM
Focus on Mason to shift south, says Kiwis coach

November 22, 2006

BRIAN McClennan, New Zealand's newly crowned international coach of the year, claimed Willie Mason's legs and not his head will be the focus in Saturday night's Tri-Nations final at Aussie Stadium.

McClennan said his side wouldn't go out looking for a repeat of the knockout blow David Kidwell put on Mason in the series opener.

"You want to bring down tall timber, you've got to get the legs," McClennan said. "It's a little bit of a goal of ours to have it so that Willie says at the end of the game that he's never been tackled so hard around his legs."

Mason has taken his headline-grabbing to another level during this Tri-Nations. The haka scandal preceded a one-game suspension for punching Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden. Fresh from his one-week ban, Mason has vowed not to back down.

While his first clash with Kidwell, the Melbourne Storm forward, will be eagerly anticipated, his 80-minute duel with Roy Asotasi is one that could well determine the course of the match.

McClennan said that victory on Saturday night would elevate his squad to the top of the pile after last year's stunning romp to the title. "For us to win two Tri-Nations in a row ? we would be deemed the greatest Kiwi team in history," McClennan said.

AAP

No worries, Kiwis. You focus on Mason's knees while the QLD connection run in an avalanche of tries.

jenny
23-11-06, 09:06 PM
Aussies eye off revenge in league final

November 23, 2006 - 9:00PM

Equally desperate for Tri-Nations glory, Australia and New Zealand head into Saturday night's final at Aussie Stadium with vastly different motivations.

Veteran prop Petero Civoniceva says the Kangaroos are bent on avenging last year's embarrassing 24-0 series final loss while the Kiwis say they have nothing to prove and they'll be driven by their "brother-like" bond.

Civoniceva said the hurt from last year's trouncing by the Kiwis in England had lingered long into this year.

"(Last off-season) was the longest off-season I've had mainly because of that disappointment and it's something that probably followed me throughout the season," said Civoniceva.

"But this is our chance on Saturday, we have one last 80 minutes to hopefully put all those bad memories to the side."

Civoniceva said the Kangaroos would throw everything into the match, knowing it was the last game of their extended and draining season.

Meanwhile, Kiwis hardman David Kidwell insisted New Zealand was not out to prove last year's series win wasn't a "fluke", even though Australia has won all three matches between the two teams since.

And he said there was no lack of internal motivation within the New Zealand camp.

"I don't think we've got anything to prove, but we have a group of guys that have been together for six weeks and I think we just want to do it for each other and all our families that have sacrificed a lot for us to come here," Kidwell said.

"Kiwi camps are always special and it's a known fact we are very close.

"We are brothers and it does show on the field with our passion and camaraderie.

"This year is no different to last year in that we're all close and we're all gunning for that one goal - to win."

Kidwell said the return of power forward Willie Mason for Saturday's game was a huge boost for Australia but played down another showdown in their first meeting since he hit the big man with a shuddering shoulder charge in the series opener in Auckland.

"I haven't really thought about it, you can't think about those things because you've got a role in your team and the team comes first," Kidwell said.

"I'm sure we're going to come together at some stage, but that's football and whatever happens, happens."

The game is shaping up as a highly physical encounter, despite coaches Ricky Stuart and Brian McClennan playing down any kind of "biff".

Kiwi's captain Ruben Wiki said his side would be more focused on completing their sets and minimising the sort of errors which cost it victory in the final minutes of their 20-15 loss to Australia at the Telstra Dome last month.

New Zealand has named the same side that thumped Great Britain 34-4 two weeks ago, while Brisbane's Brent Tate has retained his spot on the wing for the Kangaroos despite Matt King proving his fitness.

Tate believes Australia's backline can do some real damage if Australia's forwards can get on top early.

"The forward battle is probably going to determine this game," he said.

"Both forward packs are really going to rip in and if our forwards can set a platform for us early then the backs can wreak a bit of havoc."

jenny
24-11-06, 12:01 AM
League
Petero wary of Kiwis seeking revenge

By Stuart Honeysett
November 24, 2006

FORGET about Australia exacting revenge on New Zealand in the Tri-Nations final tomorrow night.

According to Kangaroos prop Petero Civoniceva, the Kiwis have their own score to settle after Australia stole a victory from them last month.

The Brisbane front rower sounded the warning at the team hotel in Coogee where a handful of players gathered to watch the start of the first Ashes Test yesterday.

While much of the hype for tomorrow night's game at Aussie Stadium has centred on Australia regaining the tag of Tri-Nations champion which New Zealand took from it last year, the Kiwis have plenty of motivation after a heartbreaking loss in Melbourne.

The Kiwis led 15-8 with fewer than five minutes to go before some brilliance from Darren Lockyer and Greg Inglis resulted in two converted tries for the home team to snatch a memorable win.

The anger over the loss was most palpable on the face of Kiwi back rower David Kidwell, who was seen on television footage kicking the ground in disgust after Kangaroos centre Mark Gasnier scored the match winner.

"You could just see the disappointment on their faces after that game," Civoniceva said.

"They pretty much had that game in the bag and if it wasn't for a bit of Darren Lockyer and Greg Inglis brilliance, we wouldn't have escaped with it.

"They beat us in most facets of the game: Their ball control was great, their kicking game was great, their line speed was just a touch better than ours.

"For 75 minutes, that was their game and we were fortunate to get away with it."

New Zealand's capitulation in Melbourne raised questions of whether it had reverted to old habits of matching strides with Australia until the final 10 minutes of a game.

However, Civoniceva believes New Zealand's 24-0 thumping of the Kangaroos at Elland Road, Leeds, in the final last year proves it is now just as mentally tough as it is physically.

"You can just see the amount of spirit in that side and it's taken some really good performances by us to defeat them," Civoniceva said.

"They're definitely tough enough to go the whole 80 minutes. We're going to have to be able to match them and go a step above them in intensity.

"One thing that they bring is the physical toughness up front. It's pretty brutal and I know from previous games in the tournament it's taken a few days to recover from the soreness. I know it's definitely going to be a very physical encounter up front."

Civoniceva said last year's final loss had motivated him to make the Australia team this year for a shot at redemption.

Until last year, the Kangaroos had an imposing record on the international stage, having not been beaten in a series for 27 years.

"It's certainly something that carried me throughout the pre-season," Civoniceva said.

"It was the longest off-season I've had, mainly because of that disappointment, and it's something that's followed me throughout the season. This is our chance on Saturday night.

"It's one last 80 minutes to hopefully put all those bad memories to one side."

Gasnier agreed.

He compared the Kangaroos' quest for revenge with that of the Australia cricket team, battling to wrestle the Ashes urn off England this summer.

"They're probably similar circumstances," Gasnier said.

"(Australia's cricketers) were dominant for so long and then got it taken away from them.

"But in saying that, they've prepared as we've prepared and they've done as we have done. Hopefully they get a good result and so do we."

Both men played down talk of burnout after another arduous year that started with pre-season games in February.

Gasnier said playing the Tri-Nations series in Australia instead of the usual venue of England had made a huge difference and all the players were still feeling mentally fresh for tomorrow night.

"Obviously we'll be happy when it's finished as far as giving everybody a rest and stuff like that," Gasnier said.

"We're all very excited about playing in the final and, as I said before, we really want the Tri-Nations title back.

"Even if we were (tired) we'd tend to get up for a final."

Grimmace
24-11-06, 08:24 AM
Mo better, no blues for Willie
By Steve Mascord
November 24, 2006 WILLIE Mason isn't just playing for nothing in tomorrow night's Tri-Nations final; it has been revealed the tournament's villain will also be raising thousands for charity.

After being suspended for punching Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden a fortnight ago, Australia's Test prop Mason was fined $5000, twice his wages for the Aussie Stadium showdown against New Zealand.

But as he prepares for a rematch with nemesis David Kidwell, the clown prince of the NRL last night uncovered his serious side as he spoke of a commitment to promote the fight against cancer, which claimed his father, Ian, nine years ago.

"Whenever I get man of the match, for Origin or whatever, I usually donate it to the cancer council," Mason said.

"I'm comfortable talking about it now, it doesn't really bother me.

"I lost my old man to cancer in 1997, before I came down to Sydney, so whatever I can do to raise money for that research, I'm happy to do."

Mason's comedy moustache can be sponsored by fans as part of Movember, a charity that promotes awareness of men's health issues, including cancer prevention.

Mason conceded he started his own growth to compete with teammate Nathan Hindmarsh rather than for charity.

"Hindy was growing his and I thought I could grow a better mo," he joked. "His is pathetic. He looks like a 70-year-old Chinese man.

"I thought I'd go something better than the sleazy little mo that he's got. I thought I'd go the choppers."

Mason, 26, cast himself as a villain even before the Tri-Nations series kicked off on October 14 when cameras caught him swearing during the haka.

His punch, which concussed Fielden and broke the prop's nose, got him offside with the Brits, too.

But Movember officials are thrilled at his decision to back their charity. A spokesman said fans could sponsor him by quoting Mo Bro No.56221 when they visit the Movember website.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr revealed his board would allow Mason to donate the Fielden fine to the charity.

Mason missed the second game against NZ with concussion suffered in a ferocious clash with second-rower Kidwell.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan said: "I think they'll probably bring Willie off the bench. He hasn't played in a while. He's had two games since the Dogs finished.

"They might have concerns with his match fitness."

But Mason hit back last night:

"I probably couldn't be fitter at the moment so I'm not worried about my fitness at all. I was training with the boys last week and then I was training with (trainer) Ron Palmer, just getting flogged."

Source: Daily Telegraph

Grimmace
24-11-06, 12:33 PM
Leadership's the key against NZ: Lockyer
Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Australian skipper Darren Lockyer says his leadership, and not playmaking abilities, will be more important for the Kangaroos in Saturday's Tri-Nations rugby league final against New Zealand.

The Kangaroos wrapped up preparations for the final at Aussie Stadium with a final training run at OKI Jubilee Stadium on Friday morning.

Lockyer is chasing a remarkable captain's treble in the clash, having already skippered Queensland to State of Origin success and Brisbane to the NRL title this season.

"I'm going out there not only as a player but also as a captain," Lockyer said before today's training session.

"And I think what's more important for me is my leadership. I'm not going out there to be a star, but a leader for the team."

After a long and gruelling season, Lockyer said the Australian players were desperate to end the year on a high.

"I think like everyone involved they want to finish the year on a good note. It makes the off-season a lot easier to take when you finish ion a winning note.

"That's one motivation the team is using."

jenny
24-11-06, 01:40 PM
Kiwi coach promises trickery

By Steve Mascord

November 24, 2006 12:00

NEW Zealand coach Brian McClennan has openly admitted he will be employing "trickery" in tomorrow night's Tri-Nations final.

And Kiwi captain Ruben Wiki reckons the Australians are kidding themselves if they believe the average league fan sees the Aussie Stadium showdown as a 50-50 bet.

Set plays, tap moves and sleight of hand, such as Stacey Jones pretending he has the ball as he runs from the scrumbase, are all tipped to be parts of the champions' armoury tomorrow night.

"I think it's always good to have an element of surprise going into a grand final," McClennan told The Daily Telegraph.

But prop Wiki countered Australian claims this week the match was an even-money bet.

"Australia's been on top for a long time . . . they've always been dominant," he said.

jenny
24-11-06, 01:59 PM
League
Petero

Beware ... Kiwis to settle the score. Pic: David Kapernick
Petero wary of Kiwis seeking revenge

By Stuart Honeysett
November 24, 2006

FORGET about Australia exacting revenge on New Zealand in the Tri-Nations final tomorrow night.

According to Kangaroos prop Petero Civoniceva, the Kiwis have their own score to settle after Australia stole a victory from them last month.

The Brisbane front rower sounded the warning at the team hotel in Coogee where a handful of players gathered to watch the start of the first Ashes Test yesterday.

While much of the hype for tomorrow night's game at Aussie Stadium has centred on Australia regaining the tag of Tri-Nations champion which New Zealand took from it last year, the Kiwis have plenty of motivation after a heartbreaking loss in Melbourne.

The Kiwis led 15-8 with fewer than five minutes to go before some brilliance from Darren Lockyer and Greg Inglis resulted in two converted tries for the home team to snatch a memorable win.

The anger over the loss was most palpable on the face of Kiwi back rower David Kidwell, who was seen on television footage kicking the ground in disgust after Kangaroos centre Mark Gasnier scored the match winner.

"You could just see the disappointment on their faces after that game," Civoniceva said.

"They pretty much had that game in the bag and if it wasn't for a bit of Darren Lockyer and Greg Inglis brilliance, we wouldn't have escaped with it.

"They beat us in most facets of the game: Their ball control was great, their kicking game was great, their line speed was just a touch better than ours.

"For 75 minutes, that was their game and we were fortunate to get away with it."

New Zealand's capitulation in Melbourne raised questions of whether it had reverted to old habits of matching strides with Australia until the final 10 minutes of a game.

However, Civoniceva believes New Zealand's 24-0 thumping of the Kangaroos at Elland Road, Leeds, in the final last year proves it is now just as mentally tough as it is physically.

"You can just see the amount of spirit in that side and it's taken some really good performances by us to defeat them," Civoniceva said.

"They're definitely tough enough to go the whole 80 minutes. We're going to have to be able to match them and go a step above them in intensity.

"One thing that they bring is the physical toughness up front. It's pretty brutal and I know from previous games in the tournament it's taken a few days to recover from the soreness. I know it's definitely going to be a very physical encounter up front."

Civoniceva said last year's final loss had motivated him to make the Australia team this year for a shot at redemption.

Until last year, the Kangaroos had an imposing record on the international stage, having not been beaten in a series for 27 years.

"It's certainly something that carried me throughout the pre-season," Civoniceva said.

"It was the longest off-season I've had, mainly because of that disappointment, and it's something that's followed me throughout the season. This is our chance on Saturday night.

"It's one last 80 minutes to hopefully put all those bad memories to one side."

Gasnier agreed.

He compared the Kangaroos' quest for revenge with that of the Australia cricket team, battling to wrestle the Ashes urn off England this summer.

"They're probably similar circumstances," Gasnier said.

"(Australia's cricketers) were dominant for so long and then got it taken away from them.

"But in saying that, they've prepared as we've prepared and they've done as we have done. Hopefully they get a good result and so do we."

Both men played down talk of burnout after another arduous year that started with pre-season games in February.

Gasnier said playing the Tri-Nations series in Australia instead of the usual venue of England had made a huge difference and all the players were still feeling mentally fresh for tomorrow night.

"Obviously we'll be happy when it's finished as far as giving everybody a rest and stuff like that," Gasnier said.

"We're all very excited about playing in the final and, as I said before, we really want the Tri-Nations title back.

"Even if we were (tired) we'd tend to get up for a final."

Grimmace
24-11-06, 05:15 PM
Thurston our main man, says Stuart
Friday, November 24, 2006 - 2:58 PM

Dropped three weeks ago, Johnathan Thurston will carry the weight of a nation as Australia bids for rugby league Tri-Nations redemption.

A year after being humbled 24-0 by New Zealand in the 2005 decider, the Kangaroos can further repress memories of that shock defeat when they again battle the Kiwis in the tournament decider at Aussie Stadium on Saturday night.

Darren Lockyer will skipper the Kangaroos chasing a remarkable captain's treble, having already led Queensland to victory in the State of Origin series and Brisbane to the NRL title.

But it's Thurston who will carry much of the load during the game after coach Ricky Stuart said the North Queensland halfback would again assume the role of on-field general.

"He took a lot of pressure off Darren (last week against Great Britain), and it's something I've asked of him again, to take that role as a leader at first pivot," Stuart said.

It is a remarkable change in responsibilities for Thurston who just weeks ago was dropped from the side after starting the first two games against the Kiwis.

Stuart opted for Ben Hornby at No.7 for the November 4 clash with Great Britain, but after Australia lost that game went back to Thurston at halfback for the Lions re-match last weekend.

Thurston didn't disappoint, starring in the Kangaroos' 33-10 win.

Stuart, though, is demanding more for the final.

"I think he was more hungry in his last game and it showed ... that was his best game of the series," Stuart said.

"But I want him go out there and want to perform better than he what did last game.

"He's still got a lot of football ahead of him. He's just growing into the position and it's important for him to take that role as a leader and dictator of the team."

Five-eighth Lockyer believes his most important role will be as captain, not playmaker.

"I'm going out there not only as a player but also as a captain. And I think what's more important for me is my leadership. I'm not going out there to be a star, but a leader for the team," Lockyer said.

The Kiwis haven't beaten Australia since its Tri-Nations triumph in Leeds last November, but have drawn closer in each of their three meetings this year.

Australia cantered home 50-12 in the Anzac Test in May, before winning the opening Test of the Tri-Nations 30-18 last month.

The Kangaroos won 20-15 in Melbourne the last time the two teams met four weeks ago, but needed two tries in the final five minutes to sneak home.

While happy to reveal the workings of his halves combination, Stuart was far more guarded about Willie Mason's role, claiming he was still to decide on whether to start the Bulldogs enforcer or unleash him from the bench.

"I'll make that call about a half-hour before the game," Stuart said.

Both sides have accused the other of playing mind games during the build up, but Stuart didn't believe counterpart Brian McClennan was foxing when he openly admitted the Kiwis were saving a few trick plays for the final.

"He probably has, we'll just have to wait and see," said Stuart.

New Zealand: Brent Webb, Shontayne Hape, Iosia Soiola, Steve Matai, Manu Vatuvei, Nigel Vagana, Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki (c), Dene Halatau, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Simon Mannering, David Fa'alogo. Interchange: Motu Tony, Nathan Cayless, Adam Blair, Frank Pritchard.

Robbie_Dee
24-11-06, 06:51 PM
I'm sure he will lead australia to success along with Darren Lokcyer!

Future Star
24-11-06, 07:51 PM
i wanna c Brent Kite score a 100M try!

and if he doesnt.....

Poida
24-11-06, 10:08 PM
Tri-Nations Final Preview: Australia v New Zealand
Written by: Matt Starkey
24/11/2006
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/images/Rep_International/TN06_2_AuvNZ_211006.jpg
We've arrived at the final destination for the 2006 Tri-Nations tournament with the two Antipodean sides set to meet in an almighty clash.

It's finally time to put aside all the controversy that has embalmed this year's series and get down to business for 80 pulsating minutes of Rugby League, putting to rest who the greatest team in the world is.

This will be the seventh match of International Rugby League to be held at Aussie Stadium since the ground came into use in 1988. It's a shame that the anticipated crowd for this game is well down on expectations and ground capacity, which will probably result in Brisbane hosting the 2008 World Cup Final.

Let's take a look at the teams, with the current World Champions first up:

New Zealand: Brent Webb, Shontayne Hape, Iosia Soliola, Steve Matai, Manu Vatuvei, Nigel Vagana, Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki (c), Dene Halatau, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Simon Mannering, David Fa'alogo

Interchange: Motu Tony, Nathan Cayless, Adam Blair, Frank Pritchard

No changes here to a side that belted the Lions a fortnight ago. They were hungry for points and ran over the top of Great Britain giving a summary of what they are capable of.

Unfortunately, all of New Zealand had to sit by and cheer for Australia last week. Poor buggers!

Moving onto the Aussies now?

Australia: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (c), Johnathan Thurston, Willie Mason, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell

Interchange: Shaun Berrigan, Anthony Tupou, Mark O'Meley, Brent Kite

There's a couple of changes here with Mason coming straight back into the frontrow at the expense of Kaufusi. Tate has held his wing position and Kite moves back to the bench.

Tupou has also retained his spot ahead of Thaiday, which is still an absolute travesty. I know Tupou had a good game in Brisbane but the whole team played well. There's a suggestion out there that Mason might come off the bench with Kite starting which isn't a bad idea. It would make up for some of the impact lost through the omission of Thaiday.

The Decision

This game presents an interesting challenge for both sides and whilst Australia head in as favourites, this could assist the Kiwi's.

Overall I think the Kangaroos look the stronger side. They have a genuine five-eighth and hooker, who are both in career-best form.

Aside from that the teams are fairly similar.

Hunt and Webb more or less cancel one another out, each possessing good overall skills and pace. Similarly they are both a little shaky making big tackles at the back but if I had to choose between them I'd say Webb returns the ball better.

Both teams have big, mobile backs but it's fair to say Australia is more skilled. Soliola and Matai held their own against Gasnier and Hodges in the last meeting, with a freakish passage of running by Inglis breaking the game open.

It's hard to split the props with Wiki and Asotasi at least the equal of Mason and Civoniceva. I think the Aussies have a slight advantage in the backrow with Hindmarsh, Ryan and O'Donnell very well rounded. For the Kiwis, Kidwell is obviously the more senior player with Mannering and Fa'alogo both rookies at this level but the latter is performing strongly.

I'm still not convinced with Mannering, even though he did play well against the Lions. If the rest of the pack lays the foundations then it makes things a lot easier for him.

Off the bench?and again things are locked up.

Berrigan and Tony are similar in their versatility. Kite and O'Meley come up against Cayless and Blair with a struck match between them again. I'd probably lean towards the Aussies a little here but Pritchard matching up on Tupou evens things out. Both players will look to exploit the tired props in the fringes of the rucks towards the latter stages of the first half and the middle of the second.

This brings us to the halves and hookers.

Australia has a distinct advantage here. The trio of Lockyer, Thurston and Smith are proven champions with three Dally M's and two Churchill medals between them. They are all pure footballers and can adapt to changing situations throughout the game with ease.

For New Zealand, the combination of Vagana, Jones and Halatau is well behind in terms of skill but not heart. Jones is going very well at the moment and back to arguably his career best form. Since returning to the southern hemisphere he has improved with every Test Match and it's easy to imagine he will lift again for this final, reputedly his last International.

I say that because he came in and out of retirement several times during last year's tournament and most people assumed the 24-nil victory in the 2005 final would be his last appearance for the Kiwis.

Looking at Vagana, he's always tried hard at five-eighth even if he's not the preferred option and Halatau won't let them down even if he fails to add little more than adequate service from dummy half. He may act as another forward when Tony comes on though, which could work in this game.

Traditionally, Australia would look to wear down their opponent's pack and then spin the ball wide, but New Zealand has proven themselves capable of squaring off in the forwards against Australia in three of the past four games they've played (this year's ANZAC Test being the exception).

The likely tactics for New Zealand will be to bash their way through the middle and this has worked on occasion for them. For Vagana to be useful he will need to run straight lines at the defence and try to break the line which has also worked in the past. I'd like to see Webb used a little more up close as his creativity is sometimes underrated.

So this leaves us with who has the better halves, which is Australia. For this reason alone I think the Kangaroos will reclaim their crown as World Champions of Rugby League. The Aussies really want this title but the choice of referee (Klein) won't do them any favours and again could help out the Kiwis.

Whilst a Kiwi victory is not out of the question by any means, and they are in very good form, I get the feeling that this Australian side has been storing up plenty of revenge material for 12 months.

Future Star
24-11-06, 10:25 PM
Locky for PM!

Poida
25-11-06, 12:28 AM
McClennan promises some trickery

By Steve Mascord
November 24, 2006

NEW Zealand coach Brian McClennan has openly admitted he will be employing "trickery" in tomorrow night's Tri-Nations final.

And New Zealand captain Ruben Wiki reckons Australia is kidding itself if it believes the average league fan sees the Aussie Stadium showdown as a 50-50 bet.

Set plays, tap moves and sleight of hand, such as Stacey Jones pretending he has the ball as he runs from the scrumbase, are all tipped to be parts of the champions' armoury tomorrow night.

"I think it's always good to have an element of surprise going into a grand final," McClennan said.

But prop Wiki countered Australian claims this week the match was an even-money bet.

"Australia's been on top for a long time ... they've always been dominant," he said.

jenny
25-11-06, 07:47 AM
Thurston ordered to step up

DROPPED three weeks ago, Johnathan Thurston will tonight carry the weight of a nation as Australia bids for rugby league Tri-Nations redemption.

A year after being humbled 24-0 by New Zealand in the 2005 decider, the Kangaroos can further repress memories of that shock defeat when they again battle the Kiwis in the tournament decider at Aussie Stadium.

Darren Lockyer will skipper the Kangaroos chasing a remarkable captain's treble, having already led Queensland to victory in the state-of-origin series and Brisbane to the NRL title.

But it is Thurston who will carry much of the load during the game after coach Ricky Stuart said yesterday the North Queensland half-back would again assume the role of on-field general.

"He took a lot of pressure off Darren (last week against Great Britain), and it's something I've asked of him again, to take that role as a leader at first pivot," Stuart said.

It is a remarkable change in responsibilities for Thurston, who just weeks ago was dropped from the side after starting the first two games against the Kiwis.

Stuart opted for Ben Hornby at No. 7 for the November 4 clash with Great Britain, but after Australia lost that game went back to Thurston at half-back for the Lions' re-match last weekend.

Stuart, however, is demanding more for the final.

"I think he was more hungry in his last game and it showed ? that was his best game of the series," Stuart said.

"But I want him to go out there and want to perform better than he what did last game. He's still got a lot of football ahead of him.

"He's just growing into the position and it's important for him to take that role as a leader and dictator of the team."

Five-eighth Lockyer believes his most important role tonight will be as captain, not playmaker.

"I'm going out there not only as a player but also as a captain. And I think what's more important for me is my leadership," he said.

"I'm not going out there to be a star, but a leader for the team."

The Kiwis haven't beaten Australia since their Tri-Nations triumph in Leeds last November, but have drawn closer in each of their three meetings this year.

Australia cantered home 50-12 in the Anzac Test in May before winning the opening Test of the Tri-Nations 30-18 last month.

The Kangaroos won 20-15 in Melbourne the last time the two teams met four weeks ago, but needed two tries in the final five minutes to sneak home.

jenny
25-11-06, 07:48 AM
League
Hungry Webb wants more tries

By Steve Ricketts
November 25, 2006

BRENT Webb hopes his knack of being in the right spot at the right time will see him maintain his tryscoring form in tonight's Tri-Nations final against Australia.

The Queensland-born and raised New Zealand fullback scored a try in each of his two appearances against Great Britain in the tournament but came up empty-handed in the Kiwis' first two clashes with Australia.

Webb scored a try in the Kiwis' 24-0 win over Australia in last year's final in Leeds, the English city he will call home for the next two years after he was signed to replace Gold Coast recruit Richie Mathers.

At 25, Webb is leaving the NRL at the peak of his powers to play for Leeds in the English Super League after the New Zealand Warriors failed to come to terms with him for an extended deal.

"I'm going to England much earlier than I thought I would but I think Leeds' attacking style will suit my game," he said yesterday. "I want to keep playing for the Kiwis and I hope I won't be forgotten just because I'm leaving the NRL.

"It was a great thrill to win last year's final and I think we're in with a show this time. I get my tries mainly from backing up and hopefully there will be plenty of chances tomorrow."

Webb was born in Cairns and was identified by the North Queensland Cowboys at an early age.

But things didn't work out and he ended up playing with Wests in Brisbane while working as a barman and labourer.

The Broncos were about to offer him a deal in 2001 when the Warriors pounced and the following year he made his NRL debut against Newcastle in Auckland.

He became eligible for New Zealand in 2004 on the basis of residency and tonight's Test will be his 16th in the black and white.

jenny
25-11-06, 07:50 AM
Locky chasing trifecta

By James Hooper

November 25, 2006 12:00

AUSTRALIAN captain Darren Lockyer is on the cusp of completing a rare rugby league trifecta as the Kangaroos bid to exact revenge in the Tri-Nations final against New Zealand tonight.

One of seven survivors from the Elland Road nightmare in Leeds 12 months ago, Lockyer still vividly remembers the humiliating 24-0 loss that consigned Australia to their first series defeat in 27 years.

But there is more at stake for the Broncos, Queensland and Kangaroos playmaker, who was honoured with his second Golden Boot award as the world's premier player this week.

Should Australia reclaim the Tri-Nations trophy at Aussie Stadium, Lockyer will become just the second star in the modern era to skipper his club, state and Test side to triumphs in one season.

The last player to achieve the feat was Lockyer's Brisbane clubmate Allan Langer with the Broncos, Queensland and Australia in 1998.

A typically humble Lockyer was attempting to downplay the individual milestone last night but the record books will always illustrate 2006 as a watershed year for the Australian captain.

"I'm going out there as a player and also a captain, what's more important for me is my leadership, I'm not going out their to be a star," Lockyer said.

"The squad's in good shape, (tonight) is the end of seven weeks of hard work so hopefully we're in good shape.

"(New Zealand) will be very physical, their last couple of games against Great Britain they've steamrolled them.

"I'm sure they'll try and do the same to us. Last year when they beat us 24-0 people might have thought it was a fluke ? but we knew it wasn't a fluke.

"Obviously right now they're a big chance of going back-to-back."

A belligerent opening 20 minutes is anticipated tonight with Kangaroos enforcer Willie Mason and Kiwi hardman David Kidwell coming face-to-face for the first time since exchanging a barrage of barbs after the opening Tri-Nations Test.

Both forwards have attempted to douse the inferno over the past week but rest assured it will be a brutal opening stanza with the Tri-Nations trophy at stake.

Redemption was a theme and key word used by Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart at the start of this series but yesterday Lockyer was cautious about playing the revenge card.

"You wouldn't say we owe them one ? they deserved their win last year," Lockyer said. "But when you reflect on the score, 24-0, it just reminds every one of us what they're capable of doing. We don't want that to happen again."

Kangaroos centre Mark Gasnier, another survivor from the Leeds massacre last November, said Australia were expecting an opening half onslaught from the Kiwis.

"They're big and they're physical, that's their game, we know that and we respect that," Gasnier said. "We'll be ready for them."

jenny
25-11-06, 08:17 AM
League
Starve Inglis of ball: Freeman

By Stuart Honeysett
November 25, 2006

FORMER coach Gary Freeman has urged New Zealand to starve Australia of the ball, and Greg Inglis in particular, if it wants to win the Tri-Nations final in Sydney tonight.

Freeman issued the challenge as New Zealand coach Brian McClennan accused his counterpart Ricky Stuart of applying pressure to English referee Ashley Klein to ensure a favourable penalty count for the home team.

Australia faces New Zealand at Aussie Stadium tonight in a re-match of last year's Tri-Nations final in Leeds, which the Kiwis won 24-0.

The Kangaroos have beaten their trans-Tasman neighbours in both pool games, although they earned the win in Melbourne the hard way by overcoming a 15-8 deficit, scoring two converted tries in the last five minutes.

In both matches Melbourne teenage sensation Inglis proved to be a thorn in the Kiwis' side, scoring tries with sheer class.

"I'd kick to the other side of the field as much as possible," Freeman said yesterday, when asked how to shut down Inglis.

"If you're going to beat Australia, number one you've got to starve them of the football. Number two you've got to kick away from their strengths and Inglis is certainly one of them."

Freeman's concerns about Inglis, 19, were shared by McClennan, who said plenty of NRL teams had tried and failed to shut him down this season.

However, McClennan said there were plenty of other players in the Australia backline who could tear them apart if they focused too much on Inglis.

"I think he's probably the most exciting young player we have in rugby league," McClennan said.

"But we've also got Darren Lockyer to contend with, who has probably had the most outstanding season of his career.

"We know we're in for the battle of our lives and we've just got to do the best we can."

McClennan expressed his disappointment at what he perceived to be a tactic by Stuart to put pressure on Klein.

The Kangaroos have not finished in front in the penalty count under the England-based Australian referee. And Stuart questioned earlier in the series if NRL referee Paul Simpkins would be a better option.

"It is a little strange because it really is about putting pressure on the referee but he (Stuart) doesn't appear to like the pressure of being red hot favourite," McClennan said.

"I see where that's happened in the NRL but we're not going to do that ourselves. We're going to keep our integrity by saying nothing and letting the officials rule the game.

"And the guy (Klein) wouldn't have got the job if he didn't understand some coaches try to put pressure on via the media. He wouldn't have got the job if he was going to fall for that one."

Stuart kept his comments brief about Klein at yesterday's final training session at Kogarah Oval.

"I just hope that at the end of the day the result is not dictated by any refereeing decisions," Stuart said.

"You hope that in every game."

Stuart said he was yet to finalise his starting side and expected the team with the most dominant pack to go on and win the final.

"Both teams have got skill right across the park," Stuart said.

"They've got very big men on their edges. We've got a lot of skill on our edges.

"Both teams play different styles of football but it will come down to the team that plays their best game."

While Stuart played down talk yesterday of avenging last year's result, the players have spoken openly about the chance to restore Australia's reputation as the number one league nation.

jenny
25-11-06, 10:38 AM
League
Former prop blasts Aussie pack

By Steve Ricketts
November 25, 2006

FORMER Great Britain prop Ray French said Australia's Tri-Nations pack was the worst he had seen in 30 years and installed New Zealand as favourites to win tonight's final.

French, the BBC's top league commentator, said Australia were guilty of too much one-out play and needed to vary their attack to be rated alongside the great packs of the 1980s and '90s.

Speaking at a reunion for the Lions at the NSW Leagues Club, French said he did not believe Australia had got over the top of the Great Britain pack in the current tournament and the reason the Lions had bowed out early was their lack of strike power in the halves and centres.

"They're all good footballers in the Australian pack," he said. "I'm not insulting their individual abilities. But they don't do anything except hit it up one out and leave it for (skipper) Darren Lockyer to create things.

"I would have thought your game had evolved to something better than that. In the mid-70s there was a changing of the guard in the Australia team and one year they were beaten by England in a Test and drew the other.

"It wasn't even Great Britain that year because there was a separate Welsh side with so many ex-union players from Wales playing in the north of England.

"The Australia pack then probably didn't hold too many fears for the opposition and I can't see any reason why the Kiwis should be intimidated tomorrow night."

Some of the game's greatest British players were present for yesterday's reunion, including Phil Jackson, Alex Murphy, Billy Boston, Dave Bolton, Neil Fox, Cliff Watson, Tommy Bishop, Mal Reilly and John Gray.

Also present were current internationals Jamie Pea**** and Adrian Morley, along with Lions coach Brian Noble, who captained the 1984 touring side to Australia and New Zealand.

French, who played union for England before switching codes, played for Great Britain in the 1968 league World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

~lee~
25-11-06, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know the UK time this will be kicking off?

jenny
25-11-06, 10:42 AM
Does anyone know the UK time this will be kicking off?
lee it kicks off here at 7.30..or 8pm.. ;) .whats the time difference between us?

jenny
25-11-06, 10:46 AM
Great Britain ? Current local time: 11:43 PM on Friday, November 24
this is your time now...kick off in about 9 hrs for you! I think...just keep check :)

Poida
25-11-06, 11:06 AM
Thurston ordered to step up

DROPPED three weeks ago, Johnathan Thurston will tonight carry the weight of a nation as Australia bids for rugby league Tri-Nations redemption.

A year after being humbled 24-0 by New Zealand in the 2005 decider, the Kangaroos can further repress memories of that shock defeat when they again battle the Kiwis in the tournament decider at Aussie Stadium.

Darren Lockyer will skipper the Kangaroos chasing a remarkable captain's treble, having already led Queensland to victory in the state-of-origin series and Brisbane to the NRL title.

But it is Thurston who will carry much of the load during the game after coach Ricky Stuart said yesterday the North Queensland half-back would again assume the role of on-field general.

It is a remarkable change in responsibilities for Thurston, who just weeks ago was dropped from the side after starting the first two games against the Kiwis.

Stuart opted for Ben Hornby at No. 7 for the November 4 clash with Great Britain, but after Australia lost that game went back to Thurston at half-back for the Lions' re-match last weekend.

Stuart, however, is demanding more for the final.

"I think he was more hungry in his last game and it showed ? that was his best game of the series," Stuart said.

"But I want him to go out there and want to perform better than he what did last game. He's still got a lot of football ahead of him.

"He's just growing into the position and it's important for him to take that role as a leader and dictator of the team."

Five-eighth Lockyer believes his most important role tonight will be as captain, not playmaker.

"I'm going out there not only as a player but also as a captain. And I think what's more important for me is my leadership," he said.

"I'm not going out there to be a star, but a leader for the team."

The Kiwis haven't beaten Australia since their Tri-Nations triumph in Leeds last November, but have drawn closer in each of their three meetings this year.

Australia cantered home 50-12 in the Anzac Test in May before winning the opening Test of the Tri-Nations 30-18 last month.

jenny
25-11-06, 11:09 AM
I TOTALLY agree

Poida
25-11-06, 11:15 AM
Lockyer wary of Kiwis
Saturday, 25 November 2006 @ 10:24 AM
sportal.com.au
http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/091551news.jpg
At the start of the Tri-Nations series, coach Ricky Stuart played the revenge card, but on the eve of the final, captain Darren Lockyer was wary of labeling it an opportunity for redemption

New Zealand belted Australia by 24-0 in last year's Tri-Nations final in England and despite the opportunity to get one back in Saturday night's final at Aussie Stadium in Sydney, Lockyer doesn't think this match is about revenge.

"You wouldn't say we owe them one," he told the Daily Telegraph.

"They deserved their win last year."

"But when you reflect on the score, 24-0, it just reminds every one of us what they're capable of doing. We don't want that to happen again."

The Aussies do battle with the Kiwis at Stadium Australia, Sydney on Saturday night and it will be an opportunity for Lockyer to complete a rare rugby league trifecta.

If the Kangaroos are successful, Lockyer can complete a rare rugby league trifecta. He will become just the second player in the modern era to lead his club, state and country to victory in the same season.

The last player to achieve such a feat was Allan Langer in 1998 when he too led Queensland and the Broncos to success. Now the final piece left in the puzzle for Lockyer is a Tri-Nations triumph.

"I'm going out there as a player and also a captain," a typically humble Lockyer said.

"What's more important for me is my leadership, I'm not going out there to be a star."

Like it or not, Lockyer is a star. The five-eighth claimed his second Golden Boot award this week as he was once again recognised as the world's best player. Victory tonight will simply bolden his name which is already inscribed in the record books.

The skipper is confident his squad is prepared for the clash but is also wary of a hungry New Zealand team that is preparing to go back-to-back.

"The squad's in good shape, (tonight) is the end of seven weeks of hard work so hopefully we're in good shape."

"(New Zealand) will be very physical, their last couple of games against Great Britain, they've steamrolled them. I'm sure they'll try and do the same to us."

"Obviously right now they're a big chance of going back-to-back," he said.

The game gets underway at 8pm (AEDT).

jenny
25-11-06, 11:19 AM
Fien turns down Wiki's invite

By Steve Mascord

November 25, 2006 12:00

NATHAN Fien has turned down a personal invitation from captain Ruben Wiki to join New Zealand at tonight's Tri-Nations final ¿ because his manager told him his presence would create a circus.

In a touch of match-eve intrigue, agent Jim Banaghan revealed Fien had been asked to watch the Aussie Stadium final against Australia with other non-playing Kiwis.

But after being kicked out of the tournament when it was proved he was an Australian ? and costing his side two points ? Fien was advised to stay away.

"Ruben got in contact with Nathan and said 'come to the game, you're one of us'," Banaghan told The Saturday Daily Telegraph last night. "When Ruben talks, everyone in New Zealand listens."

"But I suggested to Nathan the media attention and everything else would become a distraction.

"He's a sensible guy and accepted that. He's up in Cairns."

Fien will qualify on residency grounds for next year's NZ All Golds tour to Britain and is expected to receive a call-up.

Coach Brian McClennan said: "Nathan has been in contact with the boys and wished them luck and we appreciate it.

"All I'll say is: he's one of us."

NZRL acting chairman Andrew Chalmers said Fien would not get a share of the $250,000 prizemoney if the Kiwis won. "He was found to be ineligible so the answer is no," Chalmers said.

Both sides trained yesterday morning, the Australians at OKI Jubilee Stadium and the Kiwis at Parramatta Stadium. Each reported no injuries.

McClennan fired his final shot at rival Ricky Stuart over denials that the Australians are favourites.

"He doesn't mind putting a bit of pressure on the referee but doesn't want the pressure of favouritism," McClennan said.

"Ricky's thoughts are opinions. His team's thoughts are opinions. What we are saying is fact."

LUKE Bailey and Scott Prince have been named captains for Gold Coast's premiership return.

~lee~
25-11-06, 11:21 AM
Great Britain ? Current local time: 11:43 PM on Friday, November 24
this is your time now...kick off in about 9 hrs for you! I think...just keep check :)

cool thanks jenny, i dont want to get up too early or too late, im after 1 minute before kickoff lol

Future Star
25-11-06, 11:25 AM
Nathan Fien should go to the game in disguise :p

jenny
25-11-06, 11:25 AM
cool thanks jenny, i dont want to get up too early or too late, im after 1 minute before kickoff lol
Welcome Lee! :) Set that alarm! ;)

Future Star
25-11-06, 11:36 AM
I wish it was 7:30 now - I Cant wait.

Robbie_Dee
25-11-06, 11:39 AM
a bit off topic but What a great weekend for sport!!!!!!! Australia floggging the Poms in the Ashes, Australia about to flog the Kiwi's tonight in the Tri-Nations Final, Australia Masters Golf and V8 supercars to top it all off!!! :emp: :emp: :emp: :guit: :guit: :guit:

Future Star
25-11-06, 11:48 AM
a bit off topic but What a great weekend for sport!!!!!!! Australia floggging the Poms in the Ashes, Australia about to flog the Kiwi's tonight in the Tri-Nations Final, Australia Masters Golf and V8 supercars to top it all off!!! :emp: :emp: :emp: :guit: :guit: :guit:
Lmao - I LUV AUSTRALIA!!

Poida
25-11-06, 12:25 PM
Rare 'trifecta' awaits Lockyer

November 25, 2006

CAPTAIN Darren Lockyer is on the cusp of completing a rare trifecta as Australia bids to exact revenge in the Tri-Nations final against New Zealand.

One of seven survivors from the Elland Road nightmare in Leeds 12 months ago, Lockyer still vividly remembers the humiliating 24-0 loss that consigned Australia to their first series defeat in 27 years.

But there is more at stake for the Broncos, Queensland and Kangaroos playmaker, who was honoured with his second Golden Boot award as the world's premier player this week.

Should Australia reclaim the Tri-Nations trophy at Aussie Stadium, Lockyer will become just the second star in the modern era to skipper his club, state and Test side to triumphs in one season.

The last player to achieve the feat was Lockyer's Brisbane team mate Allan Langer with the Broncos, Queensland and Australia in 1998.

A typically humble Lockyer was attempting to downplay the individual milestone last night but the record books will always illustrate 2006 as a watershed year for the Australia captain.

"I'm going out there as a player and also a captain. What's more important for me is my leadership, I'm not going out their to be a star," Lockyer said.

"The squad's in good shape, (tonight) is the end of seven weeks of hard work so hopefully we're in good shape.

"(New Zealand) will be very physical, their last couple of games against Great Britain they've steamrolled them.

"I'm sure they'll try to do the same to us. Last year when they beat us 24-0 people might have thought it was a fluke -- but we knew it wasn't a fluke.

"Obviously right now they're a big chance of going back-to-back."

A belligerent opening 20 minutes is anticipated tonight with Kangaroos enforcer Willie Mason and Kiwi hardman David Kidwell coming face to face for the first time since exchanging a barrage of barbs after the opening Tri-Nations Test.

Both forwards have attempted to douse the inferno over the past week but rest assured it will be a brutal opening stanza with the Tri-Nations trophy at stake.

Redemption was a theme and keyword used by Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart at the start of this series but yesterday Lockyer was cautious about playing the revenge card.

"You wouldn't say we owe them one -- they deserved their win last year," Lockyer said. "But when you reflect on the score, 24-0, it just reminds every one of us what they're capable of doing. We don't want that to happen again."

Kangaroos centre Mark Gasnier, another survivor from the Leeds massacre last November, said Australia were expecting an opening half onslaught from the Kiwis.

"They're big and they're physical, that's their game, we know that and we respect that," Gasnier said. "We'll be ready for them."

Daily telegraph

go locky :):)

Go_The_Doggies
25-11-06, 12:27 PM
Oh yes you are going to flog us. :rolleyes:

Grimmace
25-11-06, 12:28 PM
Guys and Gals can we please have sources to these articles.

jenny
25-11-06, 02:12 PM
Hardmen say Kiwi pack has the edge

Glenn Jackson
November 25, 2006
www.smh.com.au

* Mason returns for decider
* Willie or won't he: Kiwis coach hints Mason will be cut down to size

SOME of Australia's most fearsome forwards have turned the blowtorch onto the Kangaroos' pack, saying their Kiwi counterparts have been more dominant during the Tri-Nations series and urging them to "stand up" in tonight's final.

Former Queensland front-rower Greg Dowling was the fiercest critic of the Australian pack, accusing some of being "slack" and insisting the New Zealand forwards were "ahead on points" on the eve of the Aussie Stadium showdown. Dowling also said the Kiwis had more muscle than the Australians.

And the man who famously went fist-to-face with Kiwi Kevin Tamati in 1985 had a blunt message for the Kangaroos yesterday: "Get your mouthguards, boys - it's going to be on.

"The Kiwis have been very dominant throughout the series. I think they have been the forward pack that's stood out.

"Don't get me wrong, a couple of them are playing well - Luke O'Donnell, Mark O'Meley, Petero Civoniceva. But muscle-wise, mobility and size, I think the Kiwis have got it over us. They're definitely ahead on points so far. This is why I'm worried about the game, and so are a few others, I'll tell you."

His comments may be surprising considering the Australians haven't lost to the Kiwis during the tournament. However, the New Zealand pack has improved significantly since the early rounds. And they will add spice to a battle of the packs that has already given us the David Kidwell-Willie Mason stoush.

"The Australians played well in the first game [against the Kiwis in Auckland], and that's where you see guys like [Johnathan] Thurston have more room to do things, and [Darren] Lockyer," Dowling said.

"Look how many tries Brent Webb has scored. He's been running on the edge of the ruck and carving them. The Australians have really had to struggle to get their points.

"When you look at it, we were very lucky to get away with the second game [against NZ]. We were a bit flat. We lost the next one [against Great Britain], and then we bounced back last game. But I still think our forwards were a bit slack.

"The Kiwis have been building towards this. The Nathan Fien incident has given them motivation. Everything is pointing towards them. Our guys have really got to stand up. When you go through the games, only one or two forwards in the Australian side have been dominant, but the whole Kiwi pack has been. They've gelled well together. That's been the difference."

Dowling, who played 12 Tests for Australia, handed the hospital pass of leading the charge against the Kiwi forwards to Mason, returning from a one-match suspension, which will only add to the pressure on the Bulldogs forward after his confrontations with the New Zealanders so far, both on and off the field.

Future Star
25-11-06, 02:56 PM
it should be:

1. Hunt
2. Hayne
3. Gasnier
4. Hodges
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Big Petero
9. Smith
10. Kite
11. Big Willie
12. Hindmarsh
13. Luke O'Donnel

14. Thaiday
15. O'meley
16. Ryan
17. Berrigan

Thats how i'd have it!

Future Star
25-11-06, 03:37 PM
hhmm.........i just had a thought...

what if all the criticism about Tupou and peeps saying that he has Thaiday's spot leads him to have the game of his life!!
Who knows - he might be awesome today, trying to prove everyone wrong!!

Poida
25-11-06, 06:33 PM
Kangaroos expect physical Kiwis in final

Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 2:49 PM

Australia will be out to re-claim the Tri-Nations title when it meets New Zealand in the competition final at Aussie Stadium tonight.

The Kiwis humbled the Kangaroos 24-0 in the Tri-Nations decider last year to end 27 years of Australian domination in international competition.

The Kangaroos have since beaten New Zealand in all three meetings this year.

But they are expecting the Kiwis to come out firing with Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart and captain Darren Lockyer both tipping a highly-physical clash.

Stuart says he will wait until 30 minutes before kick-off before revealing whether he will start Willie Mason or unleash the Bulldogs enforcer off the bench.

DIEHARD
25-11-06, 06:38 PM
Only 2.5 hours till the BIG ONE.

The last rugby league for 2006.

Soak it up and enjoy it!

jenny
25-11-06, 06:41 PM
Is it.. 7pm kick off..in Qld??

DIEHARD
25-11-06, 06:43 PM
Is it.. 7pm kick off..in Qld??

Ah crap, I forgot.

Id better leave for my gf's now...or Ill miss it.

Future Star
25-11-06, 06:43 PM
Lol - Ricky seems to have his own mind games w8ing for Bluey and his bag of trix.

Brent Kite should start - He from Canberra!!! YAAHH!! HE WENT TO ERINDALE!! WOOT!!! WOOT!!

IM REALLY HAPPY ATM WHHEEEE!!! Cricket + League = Happy Me

its a good idea to see Willie Mason missing the early fire-works, he will prolly give up heaps of penalties if he starts....

AUSSIE PRIDE!! WOOT WOOT!!

jenny
25-11-06, 06:45 PM
Ah crap, I forgot.

Id better leave for my gf's now...or Ill miss it.
lol...lucky i reminded you :p

RIP
25-11-06, 06:58 PM
Go Kiwis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIEHARD
25-11-06, 07:00 PM
lol...lucky i reminded you :p

You aren't wrong!!

DIEHARD
25-11-06, 07:01 PM
GO KANGAROOS!!!!!

jenny
25-11-06, 07:43 PM
:win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:
GO AUSSIES!!!

Future Star
25-11-06, 07:44 PM
Its time for the pre-game show!

some1 complete this PLEASE

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

jenny
25-11-06, 07:44 PM
OI OI OI :guit: :guit: :guit: :guit: :guit: :guit:

Grimmace
25-11-06, 07:46 PM
Its time for the pre-game show!

some1 complete this PLEASE

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

OINK OINK OINK

Whoops my bad OI OI OI

Future Star
25-11-06, 07:46 PM
OI OI OI :guit: :guit: :guit: :guit: :guit: :guit:

WOOT WOOT!!

Y is this crappy Funniest Home Videos still going? wasnt the pre-show supposed to start at 7:30 (sydney time)

jenny
25-11-06, 07:47 PM
OINK OINK OINK

Whoops my bad OI OI OI
:rotflmao: :p

Titanium_BD1103
25-11-06, 07:54 PM
Channel 9 had to show the News and then decided to show AFHVS... apparently it was meant to start at 6:30pm but Eddie is finally doing something right and showing the full day at the cricket for all of us in the Southern States... :D :D

Tri-Nations Final coverage to start at 8pm....

GO AUSSIE GO... :D :D... I think we will have too much speed in the backline and too many options for the Kiwis, but it will be a great match.... :)

Future Star
25-11-06, 07:56 PM
even if Aus lose - it will all be worth it if Brent Kite scores that 100 metre try.....

jenny
25-11-06, 08:00 PM
Channel 9 had to show the News and then decided to show AFHVS... apparently it was meant to start at 6:30pm but Eddie is finally doing something right and showing the full day at the cricket for all of us in the Southern States... :D :D

Tri-Nations Final coverage to start at 8pm....

GO AUSSIE GO... :D :D... I think we will have too much speed in the backline and too many options for the Kiwis, but it will be a great match.... :)
AND WILLIE WILL FIRE....SAVIN ALL UP FOR TONIGHT! ONYA WILLIE :guit: :box: :box: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:03 PM
finally that crappy show is ova!

TIME for the LEAGUE!!!

patrick
25-11-06, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Funniest Home Videos isn't even funny at all! :whatd:
Axe that show!!!

Anyway, this summer we will be getting two trophies back, the Ashes and the Tri-Nations! :win:

ON MY SIGNAL - UNLEASH MASON

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:05 PM
Kite is Starting!! TIME FOR TEH 100 METRE TRY!!!

Titanium_BD1103
25-11-06, 08:12 PM
Darn no Mason vs Kidwell confrontation, Mason on the bench for the Haka.... :(

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:14 PM
yeh......but Kite is the awesomest forward in the pack!!!!

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:17 PM
Thurston Penalty goal - its begun :naughty:

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:21 PM
its a pentalty off.

Stacey Jones Penalty goal, 2-2

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:23 PM
its stop-start footy - new zealand will win if this continues

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:23 PM
Tate Try - 9th Minute

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:25 PM
Thursty Conversion - 8-2 Aussies way :guit:

Looks like its going to be a high scoring match,

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:28 PM
Nice Catch Vatuvei!!

Lind drop out...

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:30 PM
another Line Drop out.

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:35 PM
Big Willie is in! BE AFRAID!! BE VERY AFRAID!!!

Poida
25-11-06, 08:36 PM
lol whos scared of willie

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:36 PM
FIGHT - As soon as Willie comes in - he want involved though :mad:

O'donnel threw the first punch - but we get the penalty for the high-tackle.

Poida
25-11-06, 08:37 PM
odonnell should be sin binned

patrick
25-11-06, 08:37 PM
Bloody Vagana...

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:38 PM
Thurston Penalty - 10 - 2.

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:38 PM
yeh he should - but hes a NSW wales boy - and weze cool.

Robbie_Dee
25-11-06, 08:40 PM
odonnell should be sin binnedmate, That was nothing!!!!!

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:41 PM
Matai's shoulder is playing up again! Expect Motu Tony on...

Poida
25-11-06, 08:41 PM
mate, That was nothing!!!!!
yeh but i just hate the uneccesary first punch being thrown.
players should have some self control

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:42 PM
Penalty - New Zealand, O'Meley is the one with fireworks atm...

patrick
25-11-06, 08:43 PM
Yeah I love Thursto's little dummy and linebreak! So good to watch!

And for the 1000th time in this series Steve Matai is hurt...
I reckon he'll keep going, showing the Manly spirit, Very tough cookie!

Future Star
Pritchard try - Stacey Johns Chip Kick - 10-6, Australia

29th minute.

patrick
Frank Pritchard try...just come on too...

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:44 PM
lol - his first touch of the game!!

patrick
25-11-06, 08:45 PM
Great kick from Jones and good pass from Webb, nobody laid a hand on Pritchard :(

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:45 PM
I think Mannering has gone to centres with Pritchard to 2nd row.

Stacey Jones misses the conversion.

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:46 PM
Matai wont come back i think...

patrick
25-11-06, 08:47 PM
Motu Tony's on...

Future Star
25-11-06, 08:48 PM
Umm......Yet to c some of the Bluey Bag of Trickery.

I have to stop my commentary now.

Poida
25-11-06, 08:48 PM
masons given a bloody penalty.
why is he playing in this team

patrick
25-11-06, 08:50 PM
Vatuvei loses it close to the line again! :laugh:

Someone give him some gloves!!!! :whatd:

patrick
25-11-06, 08:53 PM
Thurston stops the Kiwi bomb!

Bloody Vagana gets him in the air... :curse:
Someone give him some discipline... :p

patrick
25-11-06, 08:54 PM
Now Blair with dangerous hit on Thursto...BANG!

jenny
25-11-06, 08:56 PM
Good commentary patrick...funny too :naughty:

Poida
25-11-06, 08:57 PM
haha nah that hit was ok, it couldnt be avoided

patrick
25-11-06, 08:58 PM
10-6 @ half-time

Real commentary stuff Jenny lol, here's the stats :)
Just for you lol!

AUSTRALIA
Tries: Brent Tate
Goals: Johnathan Thurston (1 conversion, 2 penalties)

NEW ZEALAND
Tries: Frank Pritchard
Goals: Stacey Jones (1 penalty)

patrick
25-11-06, 09:00 PM
haha nah that hit was ok, it couldnt be avoided
Yeah, love the tackle though!
BANG! :laugh:

jenny
25-11-06, 09:00 PM
10-6 @ half-time

Real commentary stuff Jenny lol, here's the stats :)
Just for you lol!

AUSTRALIA
Tries: Brent Tate
Goals: Johnathan Thurston (1 conversion, 2 penalties)

NEW ZEALAND
Tries: Frank Pritchard
Goals: Stacey Jones (1 penalty)
Well Done :clap:

patrick
25-11-06, 09:10 PM
40 Minutes left in the Tri-Nations!
Here we go... :)

patrick
25-11-06, 09:12 PM
Willie takes the first hit-up!

patrick
25-11-06, 09:17 PM
Quick passing from the Kiwis...
and Iosia Soliola scores! :(

patrick
25-11-06, 09:18 PM
Jones misses the conversion...

10-10

patrick
25-11-06, 09:20 PM
Thurston swings the ball between the posts for a penalty goal!
4/4 Thursto, 12-10

patrick
25-11-06, 09:44 PM
Stupid obstruction penalty against Hindmarsh and Petero after Stacey Jones grubber... :roll:

Penalty goal attempt right in front successful... :nope:
12-12...

10 minutes to go...

Robbie_Dee
25-11-06, 09:47 PM
Bloody hell! this game has gone down hill ever since the first 10 minutes! For 1 tates kick on the 2nd tackle was the stupidest thing i have ever seen him do!!!!!!!! they were about to score so he decides to do a stupid kick in goal to no chasers!!!!

and 2, this referee has been crap in this 2nd half!

IMO if australia lose, they brought it on themselves! they made so many mistakes in the 2nd half!!!

Poida
25-11-06, 09:48 PM
lol im an aussie but i lmao at what just happened

patrick
25-11-06, 09:49 PM
Soliola strips Inglis...

Stacey Jones field goal attempt batted down then Karmichael Hunt throws a pass straight into touch... :mad:

Poida
25-11-06, 09:50 PM
was it jones. didnt know he kicked left foot

patrick
25-11-06, 09:50 PM
Brent Webb misses drop goal attempt!!!

patrick
25-11-06, 09:51 PM
Cameron Smith kicks a 40-20!!!

patrick
25-11-06, 09:52 PM
Thursto misses field goal...JUST!
Unlucky!

patrick
25-11-06, 09:56 PM
Willie Mason makes a great break and grubber kicks!
Greg Inglis and Brent Webb chasing...no put down,
Thursto puts down for a try!

NO TRY with video ref...

Golden Point looms...

Robbie_Dee
Golden Point!!!! who would have guessed!!!!!!

Poida
masons an idiot. he didnt need to kick.

patrick
25-11-06, 09:57 PM
Hopefully an Aussie try in extra time!

~Wild Child~
25-11-06, 09:57 PM
masons an idiot. he didnt need to kick.
:lol!: :sick:

patrick
25-11-06, 09:58 PM
For the Kiwis, no Vatuvei, no Matai, no Motu Tony, and Pritchard and Cayless ga-ga for extra time!!! :whatd:

patrick
25-11-06, 10:01 PM
Heart in the mouth stuff!!!

Gasnier loses the ball...Kiwi scrum feed...

patrick
25-11-06, 10:02 PM
Soliola drops the ball!

Onya Sia!!!

patrick
25-11-06, 10:04 PM
Lockyer drop goal attempt batted down by Webb...

Now laughing at Stacey Jones' latest goal kick!

Second period of Extra Time...

*Heartrate increasing* lol!

Robbie_Dee
25-11-06, 10:07 PM
WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! thurston you legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :win: :win: :win:

Titanium_BD1103
25-11-06, 10:08 PM
FINAL SCORE

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS-16

Tries: Tate, Lockyer
Goals: Thurston 1/1
Penalty Goals: Thurston 3/3

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gif NEW ZEALAND KIWIS -12

Tries: Pritchard, Soliola
Goals: Jones 0/2
Penalty Goals: Jones 2/2

What a game.... AUSTRALIA ARE THE TRI-NATIONS CHAMPIONS WOOT.... :win: :win: :win:

Well done to both sides, the Kiwis should be commended for their heart and spirit, they did NZ proud tonight, so many men injured and yet they never gave in and gave it to the Aussies right till the end.

WELL DONE though to Australia, it might have been scrappy and really a great escape but we have the trophy again.... it's ours and although it wasn't the best performance, a win is a win and to win that was a great effort by the boys indeed.

Awesome work by Thurston and Lockyer and cool heads of Smith and Petero got us there in the end... they are truly class acts... :D :D

Overall just happy we got the Tri-Nations back, but happy because that was a true contest 2x 5 min Golden Point, the way a final should be.... :)

patrick
25-11-06, 10:08 PM
Trademark dummy from Thurston!
HE MAKES THE BREAK!!!
Passes to Lockyer!
Lockyer scores under the black dot!!!

AUSTRALIA REGAINS THE TRI-NATIONS!!!
:win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:

THURSTO YOU LEGEND!!!

Poida
25-11-06, 10:09 PM
wooo well done aussies :)
now im done lol

Robbie_Dee
25-11-06, 10:15 PM
Well done to Australia, best on field goes hands down to lockyer and thurston! Great performance by them all night!!!

But i must say, Australia played so crap! they made so many mistakes it's not funny! I dunno what Hunt was thinkin running back towards our try line in the golden point, close call there. Tate nearly cost us the game aswell...

what about mason's kick!!!!!! that cracked me up!!!! it would have been so funny if that had of been a try!!!

Poida
25-11-06, 10:15 PM
that crowd looked very minimal.
poor amounts turned out

patrick
25-11-06, 10:18 PM
Golden try for the man with the Golden Boot :)
Thurston is an absolute LEGEND! :clap:

Shame about the crowd though... :(

Titanium_BD1103
25-11-06, 10:20 PM
that crowd looked very minimal.
poor amounts turned out

It was around 30,000 from the call.... not the greatest crowd but as I have said before in the other thread, all of the sporting events in Sydney are like that ATM.

Agree with you Robbie Dee, Thurston and Lockyer's cool head moments won that for us... Karmichael and Inglis have been great this series, but WTF were they thinking at the end there... that was never going to work.... :satan:

I really had to laugh at the Kiwis at the start of the 2nd half, it was like comedy hour with the drop ball...as I said, it wasn't the most prettiest game of football, but it was the most dramatic and definitely deserving of final status.

LOL maybe Willie was wrong though, perhaps he should get with Hazem and DJ and start some kicking practice when he returns to Homebush.... :lol!:

patrick
25-11-06, 10:26 PM
If the final was at Suncorp it would have been a sellout faster than you could say SELLOUT!!!

Robbie_Dee
25-11-06, 10:32 PM
Bloody hell i missed the man of the match announcement...who got it?

patrick
25-11-06, 10:35 PM
Bloody hell i missed the man of the match announcement...who got it?
I missed it too but they couldn't have gone past Thurston! ;)

Steelers
25-11-06, 11:10 PM
What a game. Who said International Rugby League wasn't exciting enough? I know a few members on this forum did! That was an amazing game tonight! I wanted NZ to pull off a fairytale victory, but I ain't annoyed that Australia won. NZ were the better team on the night, but ill-discipline cost them 6 points and a few bad mistakes cost them a couple of tries.

patrick
25-11-06, 11:18 PM
What a game. Who said International Rugby League wasn't exciting enough? I know a few members on this forum did! That was an amazing game tonight! I wanted NZ to pull off a fairytale victory, but I ain't annoyed that Australia won. NZ were the better team on the night, but ill-discipline cost them 6 points and a few bad mistakes cost them a couple of tries.
I certainly wasn't one of those people Steelers!
Tonight was brilliant entertainment! :)

Robbie_Dee
25-11-06, 11:20 PM
Football wise it wasn't the best of games but none the less it was very entertaining:D

Poida
25-11-06, 11:27 PM
excitement factor i thought was ok.
but happy tri nations is over woooo.

Throb
25-11-06, 11:41 PM
yeah - bring on season 2007 and the Titans!!!

Williams
26-11-06, 12:05 AM
Great commentating Pat :cool:
Can you teach me that ;)

Future Star
26-11-06, 09:00 AM
i started screaming at the TV when Inglis dropped Mason's kick....

so loud that the next door neighbours came ova and told me there 6 yr old daugter was sleeping lol.

patrick
26-11-06, 09:38 AM
i started screaming at the TV when Inglis dropped Mason's kick....

so loud that the next door neighbours came ova and told me there 6 yr old daugter was sleeping lol.
I really got into it too!
In those late moments, the heart rate increased lol, with all of those penalties, changes on possession and drop goal attempts!
But when Thurston made his great trademark "dummy then linebreak", and passing to Locky, I just stood at the telly and applauded.
:win:

Poida
26-11-06, 10:33 AM
i want warne to get among the wickets this time

patrick
26-11-06, 10:35 AM
i want warne to get among the wickets this time
Paddy, wrong thread mate!
Don't worry though. :)

Poida
26-11-06, 10:36 AM
oops my bad :(:(:(:(:(

Queenslander
26-11-06, 11:40 AM
What a great game, hopefully this results cements the combo of 6,7 & 9 (Lockyer, Thurston and Smith) in the Australian squad. This combo is not only dangerous for Australia but for Queensland. And with 9 players from Queensland in the Australian squad things are only looking up for SOO next year.

And what a great finish for a very very very long year for Lockyer; NRL Premership, SOO Win; Golden Boot award and now Tri-Nations winner......Lockyer is truly a champion.

qld power
26-11-06, 12:04 PM
golden point games should be left out of internati0nl games

Steelers
26-11-06, 12:09 PM

So your saying that the Tri-Nations should have been shared??

Queenslander
26-11-06, 12:12 PM
So your saying that the Tri-Nations should have been shared??

That would be a bit weird....2/3 teams being the champions...sorry Great Britian :laugh:

Extra time in any grand final is a must......you need a result for at least the final game of the competition.

Poida
26-11-06, 12:14 PM
golden point is good, u stay there longer and it provides entertaining footy with fieldgoal attempts

Robbie_Dee
26-11-06, 12:42 PM
Extra time is a must but i am agianst golden POINT. I reckon a field goal should not be thing that decides a winning team. i think a golden try would be better as that involves skill, ie, not just getting good field postion and taking a punt, but actually working to score...

Poida
26-11-06, 12:43 PM
what about before extra time. would kicking a field goal to win be bad?

Queenslander
26-11-06, 12:47 PM
what about before extra time. would kicking a field goal to win be bad?

I personally dislike having a field goal decide a game....it takes more skill to score a try.

Poida
26-11-06, 12:55 PM
fair enough

DIEHARD
26-11-06, 03:40 PM
Should be golden try time. And that is what we got really a golden try by the golden boot.

Far mor satisfying than a field goal or penalty. And we get our little field goal moments before full time but it isnt overboard.

Poida
26-11-06, 04:00 PM
Should be golden try time. And that is what we got really a golden try by the golden boot.

Far mor satisfying than a field goal or penalty. And we get our little field goal moments before full time but it isnt overboard.
so would raiders have won if they had to score a try against the tigers or cowboys or even penrith

Queenslander
26-11-06, 04:04 PM
so would raiders have won if they had to score a try against the tigers or cowboys or even penrith

Yes of course the Raiders would have won if they had scored a try instead of a field goal. But who knows if they could have scored a try.

Anywho back on topic..Go Aussie!

Poida
26-11-06, 04:05 PM
]Yes of course the Raiders would have won if they had scored a try instead of a field goal[/B]. But who knows if they could have scored a try.

Anywho back on topic..Go Aussie!
i know i mean could they have scored it. like did they have the energy.

noless a great effort by the aussies

Future Star
26-11-06, 04:43 PM
I rkn it should be Golden Try for 5 minutes, and then they should include penalty goals if it isnt decided yet.

Still an awesome Final - did ya c the charge down of King Locky's attempt - it went like....30 metres backwards, lol.

btw, We win the Tri-Nations, and we WILL win the Ashes back - its set to be a great summer for Aussie Sport.

jenny
26-11-06, 07:36 PM
The Melbourne Age
NZ to remain a power, says Civoniceva

November 26, 2006 - 4:34PM

Veteran Australian prop Petero Civoniceva believes New Zealand will remain an imposing force in international rugby league despite the triple-blow of losing Ruben Wiki, Stacey Jones and Nigel Vagana to retirement.

New Zealand's three most-capped internationals all called it quits from Test football after Saturday night's heartbreaking 16-12 golden-point loss to Australia in the Tri-Nations final at Aussie Stadium.

The trio played a combined 139 Tests for the Kiwis. Wiki, with 55 Tests, bows out as the most-capped league international of all time.

Coach Brian McClennan admitted all three were "irreplaceable".

But with the likes of Sonny Bill Williams and Benji Marshall - both unavailable for the Tri-Nations because of injury - still in the early years of their career, Civoniceva has no doubts the Kiwis will continue to push Australia for world supremacy in the future.

"The amount of young talent coming through in that New Zealand squad is just unbelievable, and I still think they're going to be a real force in years to come," Civoniceva said.

"Sonny Bill didn't play this series. You put him in the side and it's always going to be a huge difference.

"But those three are just fantastic players. Ruben is such a legend in our game, we all look up to him.

"And Stacey's exactly the same, he's our version of Darren Lockyer, and Vagana has been a fantastic player for them for so many years."

Jones was not planning on announcing his retirement after the game, but McClennan let it slip during the post-match news conference.

Journalists were told not to ask Jones questions about his retirement before entering the changerooms.

But when told by a reporter McClennan had already made the announcement, a surprised Jones said: "did he say that?" before reiterating he was not talking about the subject.

Jones, 30, has already retired from international football once before, but was coaxed back into the Kiwi team by McClennan for last year's Tri-Nations.

A former Golden Boot winner for international player of the year, Jones played 46 Tests and was instrumental in guiding New Zealand to last year's Tri-Nations crown.

Vagana, 31, retires after 38 Tests.

McClennan said all three had left the Kiwis in good shape after setting the standard for performance over the past decade and building a family culture amongst the players.

"What they've done for the Kiwis will hold us in good stead right through to the 2008 World Cup," McClennan said.

"The senior players have made the culture, and it's just a matter of keeping that going."

The coach reserved special praise for 33-year-old Wiki, who stepped down after 12 years with the Kiwis to spend more time with his family.

"Everyone here sees his qualities on the field, but he does so much off the field as well, tutoring the young guys," McClennan said.

"I just think so much of Rubes. I know from myself coaching I'd have struggled without having Rubes there leading the way."

Capital_Shark
26-11-06, 10:06 PM
Just finished watching the game, I knew who won and I was still on the edge of my seat. One of the best games I've seen in a long time.

Man of the Match award has to go to the whole forward pack, brilliant hit ups for 87 minutes non stop. Hats off to the Kiwis for matching it with 'em defense too. Civonaceva's technique of launching himself into the defense was great. Brent Kite is in career best form, he'll carry Manly far next year if he keeps this form up. O'Meley and Mason were in damaging form as usual, just ask Motu Tony lol.

Thurston's game would have been flawless if he had of limited his kicking duties to goals only, those in play kicks were shocking, Willie Mason could've done better, and did! Funny thing is if that ball was 6 inches to the left it would have been of Inglis's chest, not bicep, and after Hodgson in SOO, it would have been a try to Thurston.

I think the Kiwis were the better team on the night and very unlucky to lose it. Their ill dicipline was their problem. Australia played rushed and stupid in attack a lot. 3 back to back sets camped out on the Kiwi's line and Tate stabs it dead on the 2nd tackle, I think that turned the game for the Kiwis to come back at us. Once they absorbed all that pressure and came through unscaved on the score board, they knew hard work would do it for 'em.

Camron Smith's composure and thinking ahead to kick that 40/20 was great stuff. Pitty we didn't turn it into points though.

Great little dummy and step from Thurston to break the line and set up who else but Darren Lockyer for the match winner. I feel honored to watch him play. He is a living legend and if he keeps up this form he will be the first, and possibly only player to win 3 golden boots.

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

Grimmace
26-11-06, 10:28 PM
Ya know everyone has talked about the Game itself im not talking about that if you want my opinnion read the above posts.

What i will say how good was it for the coaches to be standing and singing out their the National Anthems with the players we need to see more of that in the future.

patrick
26-11-06, 10:36 PM
Ya know everyone has talked about the Game itself im not talking about that if you want my opinnion read the above posts.

What i will say how good was it for the coaches to be standing and singing out their the National Anthems with the players we need to see more of that in the future.
It was good to see the coaches out there! Ricky with his two sons! Must have been a very special occasion for them! :)
And I liked it how the two teams walked through the tunnel together. :clap:

jenny
26-11-06, 11:47 PM
Daily Telegraph
League
Revenge for wound-up Willie

By David Riccio
November 26, 2006

WILLIE Mason was in everything from the opening exchanges last night.

He committed to every tackle and egged his team-mates on.

When Brent Tate scored Australia's opening try after 10 minutes, he applauded and trash-talked the Kiwis lying in Tate's wake.

It's just a shame he was sitting on the interchange bench.

Using the same recipe that sparked Mason's run-in with Kiwi rival David Kidwell in game one, Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart started Mason from the bench and sent Brent Kite into the fray.

Mason would have to wait a little longer to get revenge for the heavy shoulder charge Kidwell put on him which left the 115kg prop concussed.

When he eventually ran on, Mason was pumped.

While his Kangaroo team-mates Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan and Anthony Tupou projected calmness, Mason danced around like he was at one of his late-night haunts.

Spinning a Steeden on his finger, smacking his chest and rubbing his hands, he stood alone, his huge frame just as menacing from behind the white line.

The raucous jeers in the 21st minute announced his arrival.

He sprinted past Kite, brushed aside a team-mate and grabbed the ball for his opening hit-up.

He had only been on the field eights seconds and he was launching his green and gold jersey into the Kiwis.

His impact was instant.

From the ensuing play-the-ball a fight exploded 20 metres from where Mason was standing.

That's the type of impact coach Ricky Stuart loves out of Mason.

His energy rubs off on to his team-mates.

But Mason's anticipated skirmish with Kidwell never eventuated.

jenny
26-11-06, 11:56 PM
SYDNEY MORNING HREALD
The kiss of life

Brad Walter
November 26, 2006

FOUR years after The Sydney Morning Herald declared international rugby league dead and buried following Australia's record 64-10 demolition of Great Britain at Aussie Stadium, the Tri-Nations final last night demonstrated that it is very much alive and kicking again.

And it wasn't just because of the fact that it took a Darren Lockyer try six minutes and 38 seconds into extra time for Australia to regain the mantle as the world's best team.

For the first time in recent memory, fans attending a Test match involving the Kangaroos had no idea what would happen.

Of course, Australia have been beaten before - as New Zealand's 24-0 win in last year's Tri-Nations final that ended 27 years of international domination proved.

But even then it had been expected the Kangaroos had to do little more than turn up to win.

For 87 gripping minutes last night, nothing separated these two teams in an epic battle that deserved to have been watched by a far bigger crowd than the one that turned up.

Those who did make the effort weren't disappointed.

There were numerous field goal attempts by both sides that sailed close to the posts - and plenty of big hits.

In the end, the Kiwis were down to just 14 players after losing Steve Matai, Manu Vatuvei and Motu Tony to injury - and there were plenty of players from both teams hurting after the final game of what has been a long, hard year.

But the match - and the tournament - were just the finale the code needed and provided the perfect end to his best ever season for Lockyer, who captained the winning team in the NRL premiership, State of Origin and the Tri-Nations.

The better-than-expected crowd of 27,325 also improved the chances of Sydney hosting the 2008 World Cup final - although there is unlikely to be another Test in the NSW capital until that tournament.

Last night's crowd took the total attendance for the seven matches of the tournament to 178,661, an increase on the 155,153 spectators who attended Tri-Nations fixtures last year.

jenny
27-11-06, 01:04 AM
Kangaroos win golden game

By Steve Mascord

November 26, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Sunday Telegraph

DARREN Lockyer late last night rated his 88th minute winning try in a classic Tri-Nations final win over New Zealand as his greatest moment for Australia.

Captain Lockyer completed one of the great individual seasons in modern rugby league history by backing up a Johnathan Thurston break in overtime to touch down between the posts and win the Tri-Nations back from New Zealand, 16-12, before an enthralled Aussie Stadium crowd.

As Kiwi trio Ruben Wiki, Stacey Jones and Nigel Vagana quit Test football, 29-year-old Lockyer chalked up the unique quinella of captaining Brisbane, Queensland and Australia to titles as well as winning the Golden Boot last week as the world's best player.

His try put the icing on the most gripping, nailbiting and emotional Test in more than half a decade with the Kiwis down to 14 men for overtime after losing Steve Matai, Motu Tony and Manu Vatuvei to injury.

"It's a pretty special way to end a pretty special year for me," Lockyer said. "At the start of the season, if I was to write down the things I wanted to do this year, and I wrote down what I'd done, I would have thought that a bit ambitious...

"You want to win everything but you never set out to do that. You just take each week as it comes. I've worked hard this year on a few things in my game and I tried to get as fit as I could. Fitness really helped me. I don't think I missed a game this year. I've enjoyed every minute of it."

Asked how it compared to his previous 34 Tests, Lockyer said: "That's the first game where I can remember playing extra time. You don't get much better than extra time."

The fourth Tri-Nations final was tied 12-12 at the end of extra time and still deadlocked after five minutes. There were six unsuccessful field goal attempts.

Finally, Thurston found some space on the western side. "Thursto made a break, I just put myself in position on the inside of him there," Lockyer recalled. "When I got the ball, I could just see the posts and I was just running as fast as I could."

During an amazing final four minutes of regular time, halfback Jones missed a field goal attempt, Australia fullback Karmichael Hunt threw the ball into touch on his own tryline, NZ fullback Brent Webb failed with another shot, Dally M medallist Cameron Smith landed his first 40-20 of the year and then North Queensland's Thurston's drop goal went awry.

To top it all off, winger Greg Inglis had a try disallowed right on fulltime - from a Willie Mason kick. "I thought it was a try," said coach Ricky Stuart.

But things got even more incredible in overtime, Warrior Webb charging Lockyer's field goal attempt from a seemingly impossible position before Thurston's heroics. "I saw the opportunity and I just ran," he said. "At the back end of the season I was battling an injury and I doubted my ability."

Stuart said: "I gave the boys the message ... seven weeks of hard work and a lot of pressure could come down to the last minute of the game. It could come down to the last set, it could come down to the last tackle, it could come down to the last run, the last second. "It was pretty much proved right."

Late last night, Warrior Webb was cleared after being reported for a high tackle on Melbourne's Inglis.

FULL TIME:

AUSTRALIA 16 (Brent Tate, Darren Lockyer try; Johnathan Thuston 4 goals) bt NEW ZEALAND 12
(Frank Pritchard, Iosia Soliola tries; Stacey Jones 2 goals) in extra time at Aussie Stadium. Referee: Ashley Klein (Great Britain) Crowd: 27,325.

~lee~
27-11-06, 01:05 AM
It was a great game to watch - it could have gone either way throughout the whole game. My favourite moment was when Willie Mason ran over Motu Tony and he was dead on the ground :thumbsup:

I wanted NZ to win but fair play to the Aussies, Lockyer is a legend.

jenny
27-11-06, 01:07 AM
It was a great game to watch - it could have gone either way throughout the whole game. My favourite moment was when Willie Mason ran over Motu Tony and he was dead on the ground :thumbsup:

I wanted NZ to win but fair play to the Aussies, Lockyer is a legend.
Did you set your alarm in time Lee :p ??? What time was Kick off in England?

~lee~
27-11-06, 01:10 AM
Did you set your alarm in time Lee :p ??? What time was Kick off in England?

lol yeah i set it for 8.55am kick off was about 9.15am, im pleased i got up for it, best game of the tri nations in my opinion.

jenny
27-11-06, 01:14 AM
lol yeah i set it for 8.55am kick off was about 9.15am, im pleased i got up for it, best game of the tri nations in my opinion.
Good stuff Lee! It was one of the Best games i have seen, Kept us on the edge of our seats thats for sure! Terrific Game..A real shot in the arm for Rugby League! ;)

jenny
27-11-06, 01:21 PM
Sublime Lockyer sorely tested

Glenn Jackson
November 27, 2006
Page 1 of 2 | Single page
Sydney Morning Herald
Australia 16 NZ 12
Peerless ? Darren Lockyer raises the trophy after his decisive try in the final against New Zealand.

Peerless ? Darren Lockyer raises the trophy after his decisive try in the final against New Zealand.

AUSTRALIAN matchwinner Darren Lockyer played through the Tri-Nations tournament - not to mention Brisbane's surge to the NRL premiership - with a wrist injury that requires surgery.

After scoring the winning try in the 87th minute of the Tri-Nations final against New Zealand at Aussie Stadium on Saturday night, Lockyer made the remarkable revelation that he has been battling the painful problem for more than three months.

Lockyer suffered a tear to the transverse carpal ligament of his left wrist during the Broncos' round-23 clash with Melbourne, and has masked it ever since as he feared opposing players would target it.

"The next day [after the Melbourne game] I could hardly move my arm," Lockyer said. "I knew there was something up, so I had the scans and there was a tear in the cartilage. The doc said I could have the surgery then but I could try and play on."

From that point, the Broncos won every game bar one on the way to the NRL premiership and the Aussies did the same on the way to the Tri-Nations title as Lockyer pulled off a remarkable 2006 trifecta. "It didn't bother me too much during the games," Lockyer said. "Every now and then, it catches a bit when I put weight on the hand. The worst was trying to pass left to right. I knew if I really flicked the wrist, I'd feel it."

He will have surgery in December, allowing him to recover in time for the World Club Challenge against St Helens on February 23.

"I'm going to New Zealand for a couple of weeks," Lockyer said. "As soon as I come back, I'll get it done then I can start training about four weeks after that."

The injury adds a new twist to one of the most remarkable individual performances on record - something Lockyer himself described as "fantasyland". Initially written off as a top-line five-eighth following his controversial shift from fullback, Lockyer has since arguably overtaken Andrew Johns as the game's best player.

"What probably started the attitude was proving people wrong," the 29-year-old said. "The criticism was probably the best thing that could have happened to me."

Lockyer's achievement in captaining the Maroons, the Broncos and the Kangaroos to titles this season led to high praise from the only other man to do it - Allan Langer.

"It's been thoroughly deserved," Langer said. "He was criticised at the start of the year, but that's the sign of a champion - when they get criticised, the only way to shut them up is to go out and play the way he did.

jenny
27-11-06, 01:29 PM
Coaches sweat on sidelines
Monday, November 27, 2006

Bellamy rode the emotional rollercoaster during the Tri-Nations final [Click to

Source: The Courier-Mail

THE tension of Saturday night's Tri-Nations thriller was never more evident than in the Australian coaching box, where Ricky Stuart and assistant Craig Bellamy rode a rollercoaster of emotions.

At one stage Stuart told the equally volatile Bellamy to "shut up" as they strove to make the right calls in the pressure of a game that went into golden point extra time.

On another occasion Bellamy gave Stuart a hug when hooker Cameron Smith came up with a 40-20 kick in the 75th minute with the score 12-12.

"It was a bit nerve-racking," Stuart said. "We had to try to keep our heads and half the time I was trying to keep 'belly ache' (Bellamy) under control. He took over the mantle of head coach for a while."

Stuart, who will coach Cronulla next year, and Bellamy (Melbourne Storm) are close friends and former teammates at the Canberra Raiders. They are also passionate about Test football, and it showed on Saturday.

"Ricky told me to shut up," Bellamy said. "But we're still talking to each other.

"That 40-20 by Cameron was a huge play because in the 10 minutes before that I thought we had imploded. Cameron did that off his own bat. Ricky and I can't take credit."

After the match Bellamy spoke to his Storm players Smith, Greg Inglis, Matt King and Antonio Kaufusi (Australia) and Adam Blair (New Zealand) and urged them to capitalise on their experiences at Test level.

Bellamy said Inglis was destined for a leadership role at the Storm despite being only 19.

"We probably didn't see the best of him playing on the wing for Australia and I want to get him as close to the ball as possible at the Storm," Bellamy said.

"But whatever I do will be what is best for the team."

Bellamy also went out of his way to wish New Zealand veteran David Kidwell well in his new career at South Sydney after four seasons with the Storm.

Prop Petero Civoniceva was presented with the Harry Sunderland Medal yesterday as Australian Test player of the year, an award voted for by his peers.

jenny
27-11-06, 02:52 PM
The greatest Test of all

By Dean Ritchie

November 27, 2006 12:00

THE 2006 Tri-Nations series was supposed to be a failure, an example of a game that had stretched its year too far past the regular NRL season.
The fans' thoughts would be focused on our cricketers' fight to regain the Ashes as the days warmed well beyond the chilly temperatures normally associated with rugby league.

Even Australia's self-proclaimed national team, the Wallabies, were playing a series of matches against European nations, building up to their sport's World Cup next year.

The league players themselves would be jaded, as would all but the most diehard of fans.

Rugby league's massive spectator base had again been spoilt rotten by an outstanding domestic NRL and representative season. This international series was, the critics said, unnecessary icing on the cake.

But right from the first moment, Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain showed that rugby league can matter on the international stage.

And if Willie Mason's remarkable tirade at the Kiwis as they performed the haka in the opening match was the perfect start for a game that thrives on controversy, Darren Lockyer's winning try was the crowning glory of a sport that celebrates the highest levels of fitness, strength and skill.

His runaway try in extra time capped one of the most extraordinary individual seasons rugby league will see, with club, Origin and now international glory.

And Saturday night's stunning extra-time triumph provided further evidence that no longer can Australian teams jaywalk to international glory.

It was a match memorable for the courage, strength and pride the 34 players from Australia and New Zealand displayed.

And two of the game's leading historians last night said Australia's epic 16-12 win will be remembered as the greatest Test match played on Australian soil.

There was Cameron Smith's remarkable 40-20, Willie Mason's bust and kick ahead on fulltime, the New Zealanders' sheer courage, Ruben Wiki's brute strength and Lockyer's late try.

Just two weeks ago Johnathan Thurston was controversially dropped from the Kangaroos side, but on Saturday night he made the break that set up the win.

A huge section of the 27,325 crowd chanted "Kiwi", which was then shouted down with the chant of "Aussie".

It was noisy and it was fun. It showed international rugby league still has some kick.

And it showed once-and-for-all that Sydney loves rugby league ? even if it is November.

League historians David Middleton and Ian Collis were asked to rank the five best Tests they had watched in Australia ? and both had little hesitation in putting Saturday night's match at the top of the list.

Collis, a statistician who has written five books on rugby league, rated Saturday night's match equal best with Australia's 19-14 win over Great Britain at the SCG in 1966.

And the pair's thoughts were supported by Cowboys and Blues coach Graham Murray.

The players agreed and Melbourne hooker Smith claimed the Test was tougher and faster than the NRL grand final.

Middleton said: "It was easily the most gripping and gladiatorial contest of the modern era.

"It fell short in a few areas such as ball-handling but you could not dispute the commitment and desperation of both sides."

The scores were locked 12-12 at fulltime before Lockyer's try in the 88th minute finally split the two exhausted sides.

"Saturday night was just amazing," Collis said.

"That match in 1966 had everything, it was one of those magic days, controversy, non-stop action.

"I always felt the '66 game was the best Test I would ever see. But this was equal."

There have been more memorable Test matches in England over the years but Murray cannot recall such a spectacle in Australia.

"I can't remember a better Test match that has been played here in Australia," he said. "It had everything.

"There were big hits, there was toughness, end-to-end footy, 40-20s, golden point, the lot."

Former Souths legend Ron Coote said he "hadn't seen too many better Tests".

"It was a great game ? there haven't been too many tougher Tests," Coote said.

"I'm not going to say it's the greatest ever played in Australia but it was a great game given the players have played so many games by this time of year. It's right up there." OTHER former players claimed the match would not be rated so high had it not entered golden point.

Former Australian forward Bob McCarthy rated the game "eight out of 10".

"But I always like the Tests of the past when the Pommies came out here. They were so skilful."

The final capped a successful, if at times controversial, Tri-Nations series, with ARL CEO Geoff Carr saying: "Both sides were running out of troops but just kept coming."

jenny
27-11-06, 03:22 PM
Fitting finale

By AAP

November 26, 2006 12:00am
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

ANDREW Johns may come out on top in most bar-room debates over the world's best rugby league player, but Darren Lockyer supporters can now feel they have at least one ace up their sleeve when the topic swings back to league this off-season. An indisputable fact... 2006, the year of Lockyer.

The Brisbane five-eighth could not have scripted a better ending to his greatest season - scoring the winning try in Australia's 16-12 golden-point victory over New Zealand in the Tri-Nations final.

No footballer in the history of rugby league has achieved what the Australian, Queensland and Brisbane Broncos NRL skipper has managed this year with last night's triumph capping a remarkable captain's treble.

Having already guided Queensland to a memorable State of Origin series win and then Brisbane to the NRL title, Lockyer added the Tri-Nations trophy to his collection.

Only Allan Langer has achieved a similar captain's three-peat, in 1998 guiding Brisbane and Queensland to glory and then capping the year by captaining Australia to victory in the Trans-Tasman series.

Lockyer's team success this year, however, came with individual glory.

On Monday he was crowned international player of the year, becoming just the second player since the award's inception in 1985 to win a second Golden Boot.

Champion Newcastle half Johns, who retired from international football after this year's Anzac Test, was the first player to claim a matching pair of boots.

Lockyer, though, will also go down as the first Golden Boot recipient to win a Tri-Nations - now in its fourth edition.

It was only earlier this year critics were still questioning Lockyer's merits as both a five-eighth and leader.

After a gruelling 35-game season that ranks as his finest in 10 years of elite level football, Lockyer has firmly put that debate to bed.

Future Star
27-11-06, 03:50 PM
wow - Locky has an injury and still manages to be the best. hes a true star :guit:

But, imagine what it would've done to the broncos and australia if he injured himself further! i cant...i just cant :')

davo
28-11-06, 10:59 PM
A GAME I WILL NEVER FORGET !!!!!!! BOTH TEAMS PLAYED THEIR ****S OFF AND NOT MUCH BIFF, PLAYED AT PACE AND PHYSICAL AS, COULD OF GONE EITHER WAY, WELL DONE AUSSIE,( this year kiwis will a force in years to come) ANY WAY WELL DONE..!!!!!!!!! :win: