PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis question Kaufusi's Australian eligibility

Grimmace
19-11-06, 09:58 AM
Kiwis question Kaufusi's Australian eligibility
Adrian Proszenko
November 19, 2006

NEW Zealand officials attempted to block Antonio Kaufusi from making his Test debut against Great Britain last night by questioning his eligibility to play for Australia.

Kaufusi, who rejected overtures to play for the Kiwis, was born in Tonga and raised in New Zealand before moving with his family to Bundaberg.

New Zealand Rugby League CEO Selwyn Pearson sent off a letter to ARL counterpart Geoff Carr last week to enquire how the Melbourne prop qualified to play for the Kangaroos and the move is likely to further inflame trans-Tasman relations, which were already near breaking point following the Nathan Fien fiasco.

Mount Isa-born hooker Fien, who represented Queensland in the 2001 State of Origin series, played two Tests for New Zealand before his eligibility claims were proven to be false.

The Kiwis were stripped of two competition points after it was revealed his great grandmother - rather than his grandmother - was born in New Zealand.

"We have asked the question formally," NZRL general manager Peter Cordtz said.

"On the back of everything else that has happened, we availed ourselves of the constitutional process that probably should have been followed with Nathan."

Carr, however, said Kaufusi qualified under the residency rule of the IRLF's constitution.

"There's absolutely no doubt he qualifies." Carr said.

"He needs to live in Australia for three years and he has done way past that."
Source: Sun Herald

Go_The_Doggies
19-11-06, 11:54 AM
I see no problem in us asking whether he is eligable to play for Australia or not.

I have no problem with him playing for them. Straight after or before the GF Bluey was talking to either Kaufusi or Kidwell, and Kaufusi made it clear he wanted to play for QLD, not NZ, Queensland.

And hes pretty cool cos he looks like Roy Asotasi. :)

patrick
19-11-06, 06:45 PM
Yeah, Antonio could become the Aussie equivalent of Big Roy!!! :)
I was really impressed by Kaufusi's great defense in the test last night, but he didn't show his great speed and explosiveness that he has in attack close to the line, like when he plays for the Storm. :')