PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos grounds for complaint

Super Cronk
20-10-05, 10:09 AM
THE Australian Rugby League has registered concerns with its New Zealand counterpart over reports the Kiwis have doctored the Ericsson Stadium pitch to ensure tomorrow night's Test turns into trench warfare.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr yesterday sent an email to the NZRL seeking a written assurance the laws of the game had been adhered to with regard to the dimensions of the ground.

International guidelines state the field must be at least 68 metres wide and the in-goals should be a minimum of six and maximum of 11 metres in depth.

However, section 1(4) also states the dimensions should be as near to the maximum as possible.

Last year, the NZRL reduced the dimensions of North Harbour Stadium, cutting the width of the field to 61 metres and reducing the in-goal. The tactic had the desired effect, the Kiwis grabbing a 16-16 draw.

It seems the home side is poised to replicate the game plan on Friday night with reports from Auckland suggesting the Ericsson Stadium field had been tailored for the Kiwis with a view to restricting the potent Kangaroos outside backs.

"We will be seeking clarification in writing that the international laws of the game have been adhered to," Carr said yesterday.

"The rules ... say for adult games the dimensions should be as near to the maximum as possible."

NZRL chairman Selwyn Pearson was coy yesterday when contacted by The Australian. "We have worked within the guidelines," Pearson said.

Foxsports.com.au

Dakink
20-10-05, 10:35 AM
I have no real problem with this - It is called home ground advantage for a reason, and whilst it may not be the most sporting thing to do, if I was the home team and this was my best chance to win I would also shorten the dimensions. If it is within the International Rules then good luck to 'em. Good teams should be able to win in all circumstances.

Steelers
20-10-05, 04:09 PM
As long as the width of the field is no less than 68m and the in-goal is no less than 6m, it is all good with me. But if it goes outside the laws of the game, then that is just plain wrong. You don't play tennis with the court 2m too thin.

ridgey
20-10-05, 05:23 PM
geoff carr obviously hasn't been to olympic park in melbourne for a while.

Super Cronk
20-10-05, 05:26 PM
geoff carr obviously hasn't been to olympic park in melbourne for a while.

lol..i was just about to say matt king will be find out on the wing considering the size of olympic park.