PDA

View Full Version : No more trekking around for Titans union recruit

Grimmace
11-11-06, 08:57 AM
No more trekking around for Titans union recruit

Luke Turgeon

11Nov06

TITANS union recruit Josh Graham is sick of trekking around Australia and switching codes.

He grew up in Taree in NSW, moved to the Gold Coast to play union at The Southport School, had a stint at the Queensland Reds, moved to Melbourne to play NRL with the Storm, switched back to rugby union with the Western Force this year then returned to the Coast to play league.

And he is only 23.

"My main goal is to secure a starting spot at centre and play well," said Graham, who is on a two-year contract. "I was always, even when I was playing with the Melbourne Storm, keen to come to the Titans.

"As soon as I heard they might be entering the competition I knew I wanted to be a part of it."

At 190cm tall and tipping the scales at 98kg, Graham is the biggest genuine centre on the Titans books.

To put it in perspective, he is the same size as Broncos gun Justin Hodges (190cm and 98kg) and just smaller than St George-Illawarra star Mark Gasnier (192cm and 100kg). He is renowned for his hard ball running and an ability to put a hit on in defence.

Graham was an integral member of The Southport School's premiership-winning first XV in 2001 and has represented Australia in rugby union at schoolboy, under-21 and sevens level.

"All of my mates are still here and that was definitely one of the main reasons I wanted to come back," he said. "I really want to give rugby league a good crack before I get too old.

"I didn't really get too many games in Melbourne. I was injured most of the year so I played reserve grade mostly."

The Titans gathered on home turf for the first time this week and spent most of their time in orientation and team bonding camps.

On Monday the 25-man squad will have their first training run under renowned fitness guru Billy Johnstone, coach John Cartwright and assistant Trevor Gillmeister.

The Titans will play their first game, the first of three trial matches, against 2006 grand finalists Melbourne in Coffs Harbour on February 17. They play Parramatta in Lismore on February 24 before their Gold Coast Stadium debut at Carrara against Penrith on March 3.

The NRL season launch will be held at Surfers Paradise on March 14 next year the first time out of Sydney to celebrate the Titans becoming the 16th team in the competition.

Four days later the Titans will take to Suncorp Stadium for their NRL debut, against the St George-Illawarra Dragons on March 18.
Source: GC Bulletin

Titan_Matchu
11-11-06, 11:03 AM
I think this guy may become one of our best he's 23 and already switched codes twice the guy is 190cms and 98kgs and is a native to the Gold Coast I think he will be with us for a while to come. I'd definetly like to see how he goes against players like Hodges and Gasnier, does anyone know if he's got pace in his legs like faster than Hodges?

DIEHARD
11-11-06, 12:57 PM
An amazing journey for only a 23 year old. Should be a great Titan recruit. Should be a handy player who can cover a few positions.

He is back with the best rugby code and the best club in it.

jake86
11-11-06, 04:11 PM
Whoah! gansnier is bigger than hodges??? lol

Seriously though, its great he is so commited to being a part of the coast, but hes got stiff competition in Odwyer, Delaney, Paea, Webster. Competition for spots is a good thing! He's well built for centre too, and it should be an interesting battle

Titanium_BD1103
11-11-06, 05:28 PM
He's well built for either lock or centre.

I watched a fair bit of Graham after hearing him as a signing for the Western Force. He had limited game time over in the West but from what I saw, he is quite agile for his height and weight and can get a run nicely, not saying he's a speed machine... he's probably more an average speedster, but if he gets a break, he can run the field if needed...

He is also good at breaking tackles and supporting players, so given his chance, I know he won't do the Titans wrong in 2007 and beyond.