PDA

View Full Version : Kiwis call to fine cheats

Grimmace
10-11-06, 08:18 AM
Kiwis call to fine cheats
From Steve Mascord in Wellington
November 10, 2006

NEW Zealand will ask the Rugby League International Federation today to consider forcing all Test players to sign statutory declarations, and to fine countries who cheat eligibility rules $100,000 each time.

After the Nathan Fien scandal, the RLIF meeting in Brisbane will discuss how to stop the 2008 World Cup being ruined by another eligibility uproar.

Fien was kicked out of the Tri-Nations and the Kiwis stripped of their points when it was discovered his great grandmother, not his grandmother, was a Kiwi.

"There are rumours around we are going to go on the attack at tomorrow's meeting," NZRL director Andrew Chalmers said last night.

"That is not the case.

"But one of the things we are going to discuss is the eligibility rules and the processes around them. I think everyone knows the reason for that.

"It would be absolutely wrong of me if I didn't address a few issues."

Chalmers said rugby league should consider the lead of rugby union, which does not strip teams of points for fielding ineligible players. Having required internationals to sign stat decs, the 15-man game has financial penalties for fielding ineligible players.

The sanctions were brought in after New Zealander Shane Howarth was found to have played for several years for Wales without being eligible.

"This is a sport which has conducted exhaustive legal investigations into what action to take and that's what they came up with," Chalmers said.

"I'm not saying it's the answer for league but it's something to look at."

The Kiwis also want the RLIF to force players to stand down from club matches if they are not released to play mid-season Tests - but this is set to be greeted by stern resistance from Great Britain and Australia.

The Lions arrived in Wellington yesterday for tomorrow's Tri-Nations match against New Zealand, with coach Brian Noble saying his counterpart, Brian McClennan, had put pressure on his own side by targeting a 14-point win.

Source: Daily Telegraph