PDA

View Full Version : Beer, Broncos a good sponsorship mix

Grimmace
02-11-06, 07:31 AM
Beer, Broncos a good sponsorship mix
Wednesday, November 1, 2006 - 5:18 PM

Brisbane brewer Castlemaine will pour its sponsorship dollars into the Brisbane Broncos for another five years, taking its backing of the six-time premiers to 20 years.

The multi-year deal, one of the biggest and longest sponsorship deals in the National Rugby League, was announced by the sponsors' Regional Director Mark Powell.

"It's been a fantastic 15 years and we're looking forward to the next five," said Powell.

"If you're going to jump into bed with someone, we'd like to jump in for a long time.

"We certainly don't base our sponsorship on premierships, they're the cream on the top."

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said the five-year deal and long association was unusual in sport these days.

"I think it's all about your history and the power of your brand over a long period of time," he said.

"If you jump out of the ground and win one premiership, I don't think it does much for you long term.

"I think the Broncos brand; 16 straight years in the finals and six premierships and three since the NRL formed in 1998, means we're a very powerful brand."

Source: AAP

Queenslander
02-11-06, 05:35 PM
The Broncos are a sponsors dream, they are the most support team in Australia whilst providing good results on the field.

Good on ya Mr XXXX for sticking with the team ;)

Dragons
02-11-06, 09:10 PM
Love the beer just dont like the team, but good on the boncos for keeping it a Queenland thing. Wish Penfolds would get back with the mighty Dragons (red and white dynamite)

DIEHARD
03-11-06, 12:04 AM
Love the beer just dont like the team, but good on the boncos for keeping it a Queenland thing. Wish Penfolds would get back with the mighty Dragons (red and white dynamite)

Though XXXX is owned by a New Zealand and ultimately a Japanese company.... :')

~Wild Child~
03-11-06, 12:14 AM
Though X is owned by a New Zealand and ultimately a Japanese company.... :')
:!: Hmmm.... I didnt know that. Has it always been owned by foreign interest ?

DIEHARD
03-11-06, 02:19 AM
:!: Hmmm.... I didnt know that. Has it always been owned by foreign interest ?

Well as far as I know, Alan Bond bought it, he went bst and I guess Lion Nathan got it cheap. Not sure on the full story.

The company also has a colourful corporate history, merging with New South Wales brewing company, Tooheys in 1980 to form Castlemaine Tooheys. In 1985, Castlemaine Tooheys was bought by Western Australian entrepreneur Alan Bond, who already had Perth?s Swan Brewery in his corporate stable. The three breweries traded under the name Bond Brewing until the America?s Cup hero ran into financial trouble in 1989.The following year, Douglas Myers, Chief Executive of New Zealand based company Lion Nathan formed a joint venture with Australian Consolidated Investments to acquire control of the three Australian breweries. Lion Nathan is today Australia?s largest beverage company, boasting some of the most recognisable brand names in brewing - among them, XXXX, Tooheys, Swan, Hahn, Emu, West End, and in New Zealand, the internationally acclaimed Premium beer, Steinlager. They also have the Pepsi Cola Franchise for Australia and New Zealand, as well as a burgeoning brewing operation in China.

In May this year, Lion Nathan formed a strategic alliance with Japanese brewing giant Kirin. The new partnership means that Castlemaine Perkins is now part of the 4th largest brewer in the world. However, regardless of where the corporate headquarters might be, the Castlemaine Perkins operation remains firmly entrenched right here in Queensland.

Pretty sad, merging with NSW's Toohey's, then being bought by Kiwis and ultimately Japanese....

[BroncosGirl]
03-11-06, 05:19 PM
Thast great news :D!