PDA

View Full Version : The Fien Saga

Meh
30-10-06, 08:27 PM
Fien allegiance row may cost Kiwis
Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:58 PM

New Zealand is in danger of being stripped of its two Tri-Nations competition points as the row over the eligibility of Queensland-born Kiwi Nathan Fien escalated on Monday.

Fien, who was born at Mt Isa and previously represented Queensland in State of Origin, played his second Test for New Zealand on Saturday, featuring at hooker in the Kiwis' 18-14 win over Great Britain in Christchurch.

He had originally been permitted to play for the Kiwis after saying his grandmother was born in New Zealand.

International rugby league rules state a player can qualify for a country if any one of his grandparents was born there.

But it has since been revealed it was Fien's great-grandmother who was born in New Zealand.

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr confirmed on Monday night the sport's four-member international executive would discuss the situation - possibly overnight - to decide whether Fien should or should not be eligible to play for New Zealand.

If Fien were ruled ineligible, Carr said it would then be up to the Tri-Nations sub-committee to decide what action, if any, would be taken against New Zealand.

One scenario could be that the Kiwis would be stripped of their two competition points.

The international executive comprises Colin Love (Australia), Richard Lewis (Britain), Selwyn Bennett (NZ) and NRL chief executive David Gallop.

The three-member Tri-Nations committee is Love, Lewis and Bennett.

Carr said emails and messages had on Monday been sent to Lewis - who is still in England - about discussing the issue.

New Zealand chairman Selwyn Bennett, however, played down the situation on Monday.

"There's nothing in it," he told NZPA.

"The issue is only being sought by the press.

"I haven't heard from Great Britain and I haven't heard from Australia and I don't really expect to."

Bennett said whether the birth certificate produced to prove Fien's eligibility was of his grandmother or great-grandmother, was irrelevant.

"When we first named him in the team, Australia asked us to produce a birth certificate which we did and that's where the matter stopped," he said.

"We can't see anything in it.

"The rules state grandparents, it doesn't state grandparent.

"That's the way the rules are written."

Source: AAP

Steelers
30-10-06, 09:12 PM
Who cares! He is a kiwi now, I wish Australia would sop trying to find ways to make it so that he can't play for the Kiwis. Leave him be FFS!

Social Loafer
30-10-06, 10:10 PM
Mason was born in NZ... As was Hunt... Who Cares...

If they strip the points it will just make International League look like a farce.. FFS let's focus on something more important..

MonaroMan
30-10-06, 10:46 PM
I care. It just makes international football less interesting when players can choose who they play for.

Steelers
30-10-06, 10:48 PM
I care. It just makes international football less interesting when players can choose who they play for.

Well what are they meant to do... suddenly say to him "You can't play for the Kiwis anymore, go back and attempt to get selected for Australia"? He is playing for the Kiwis now, his heart is with the Kiwis, let him play for the Kiwis.

Robbie_Dee
30-10-06, 10:51 PM
I think MM was meaning that Fien shouldnt have been picked in the first place, and i have to agree with him there. But once you play for a country, i reckon whats done is done and thats who u play for for your whole career, and i hope thats what Fien is going to do.

MonaroMan
30-10-06, 11:11 PM
Well what are they meant to do... suddenly say to him "You can't play for the Kiwis anymore, go back and attempt to get selected for Australia"? He is playing for the Kiwis now, his heart is with the Kiwis, let him play for the Kiwis.

They can't do anything about it now, but they if nothing is done in the near future, the problem will be worse than it is now.

DIEHARD
31-10-06, 01:06 AM
Cheating Kiwis may boycott

New Zealand league boss Selwyn Bennett last night performed another backflip in a desperate bid to stop the Kiwis losing their Tri-Nations points.

The Mt Isa-born hooker Nathan Fien seems certain to be booted out of the tournament after Bennett admitted he did not have a Kiwi grandparent, as was earlier claimed.

International Federation officials will also discuss today whether to revoke New Zealand's points for its victory over Great Britain at the weekend, in which Fien played.

But Bennett threatened to pull the Kiwis out of the tournament immediately if points were deducted - and said it would definitely happen if the victory was credited to Great Britain.

However, after telling NZ's Radio Sport that Fien had told him Irene Lilian Maude was definitely his great-grandmother, Bennett changed his story when contacted by The Daily Telegraph.

"I wouldn't have a clue what she is - whether she's a grandmother, a great grandmother or what," Bennett said.

"He said that it was his grandmother ... someone said to me that it was (his) great grandmother.

"I accepted that. Nathan, he makes reference to his nanna. I'm pretty confused as to what it is."

Yet Bennett said he had no plans to ask Fien to clarify the issue, and nor had he tried to contact him about it in the last two days.

He said he would be "surprised if anything did happen" in response to the uproar and he expected Fien to continue playing in the Tri-Nations without a problem.

But the Rugby League International Federation executive chairman Colin Love had another view, saying: "The birth certificate was certainly presented to the Australian Rugby League as that of Nathan Fien's grandmother.

"The rules state that players are eligible if their grandparent was born in that country - but not a great-grandparent.

"It may be that the New Zealand Rugby League will have to show cause as to why they should not lose their competition points for fielding an ineligible player," he said.

International rugby league would be on its knees if the defending champion pulled out of the November 11 clash with Great Britain at Westpac Stadium, its last pool game.

Love was last night involved in a phone hook-up with Rugby Football League executive chairman Richard Lewis to discuss what action to take.

The Great Britain team manager Abi Ekoku said yesterday that rules had been breached and it was up to the RLIF to decide on a punishment.

He said loss of points was an obvious option.

But Bennett argued: "If you have Black's legal dictionary ... read up on grandparents. There's no differentiation between great grandparents or grandparents.

"We have done nothing wrong. We took the player on his word. As far as we're concerned, Nathan is clear to play."

The Kiwi players went bungy jumping during their day off in Queenstown yesterday.

Team manager Peter Leitch said only Bennett was authorised to comment on the scandal.

Source: FOXSPORTS

DIEHARD
31-10-06, 01:07 AM
Amateur hour runs out of time
Comment by Steve Mascord

Theclock on the amateur hour that is international rugby league had ticked down the full 60 minutes last night.

Nathan Fien's eligibility fiasco was a humiliation to all involved in the running of the Tri-Nations and a slap in the face to those people around the world who give up their time free of charge to promote and spread the game.

The Kiwis' coach, administrators and even their players have repeatedly referred to Fien's "grandmother" in interviews over the past month. Whoever came up with this rort has made liars of them all.

And if the NZRL really thought great-grandparents might be covered by the rule - and that beggars belief - they should have sought clarification before selecting him.

But how ridiculous is it that an athlete is allowed to play professional sport at an elite, international level on "his word", with no-one bothering to check?

The Rugby League International Federation is nothing more than development officer Tas Baitieri and a bunch of T-shirts whose full-time jobs are elsewhere.

It doesn't have an address or a phone number and there is no Tri-Nations tournament director.

Is it any wonder embarrassments like "Grannygate" occur when, quite literally, NO-ONE is running the show?

Every player from now on should be forced to provide birth certificates and, if necessary, their parents' and grandparents' birth certificates in order to represent their country.

Nathan Fien - who would have qualified for the Kiwis on residency next year anyway - may yet go down as an important figure in rugby league history.

He will hopefully be the man who forces the administrators to give international football the respect and diligence it deserves.

Source: FOXSPORTS

DIEHARD
31-10-06, 01:08 AM
:yell: I changed the title of this thread to The Fien Saga, so it's now a one stop shop for everything Fien.

~lee~
31-10-06, 09:22 AM
I would have thought birth certificates would need to be provided for every single player. Selecting someone on his word is just asking for trouble. Great Grandparents as far as ive always been aware do not qualify you to play for a country.

NZ have broken the rules and need to be punished. Maybe they can split the point with GB. Fien should be banned straight away from the tri nations..

Poida
31-10-06, 10:20 AM
Kiwis threaten pull out over Fien drama

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 5:02 AM

The New Zealand rugby league team has threatened to pull out of the Tri-Nations if it is docked points because of Australian-born Nathan Fien's ineligibility to pull on a black jumper.

Fien played his second Test for the Kiwis in an 18-14 win over Great Britain in Christchurch on Saturday night, after it understood his grandmother was born in New Zealand.

International rugby league rules state a player can qualify for a country if any one of his grandparents was born there.

But it has since been revealed it was Fien's great-grandmother who was born in New Zealand, and as such, he is likely to be booted from the competition.

International Federation Boss Colin Love says the Kiwis may have to show cause why they should not lose the points.

"If we lose our points then Great Britain needn't bother showing up to Wellington (on Saturday) week because we certainly won't be there," NZRL executive chairman Selwyn Bennett told the Daily Telegraph.

Steve
31-10-06, 11:30 AM
Ah, even at an international level people don't want to take responsibility.

You cheat, you get caught, you get penalised.

SuperCliffy#01
31-10-06, 03:04 PM
I find it hard to understand how someone that has played State of Origin for QLD can represent New Zealand, if that is true the Fien should have been automatically disqualified from representing NZ.cya. :mad:

Go_The_Doggies
31-10-06, 07:35 PM
Im so meh over this whole subject.

We shouldnt lose our 2 points because the NZRL stuffed up, and let Fien play in the first place, but then again, didn't australia have to approve of the birth certificate before he made his debut, if thats the case, why are they bringing it up after he had played for us?, I know they say they only worked it out, but its still abit iffy.

This whole thing is iffy, but I do truely believe we should NOT lose our points over this, fine the NZRL however much money they wish, but don't take our hard earned points, its not like Fien had a match winning involvement in the game, if anyone did it was Webby!!

IMO its time for Sel Bennett to go!!, he is ****ing the NZRL around as chairman imo, he does nothing to promote the game here, and then makes us and himself look like a complete fool.

But saying that, Australia can't really talk, look at that guy called TONIE CARROL!!! :mad:

But I have always been iffy about Fien playing for the Kiwis, im even more iffy now!! :?)

Go_The_Doggies
31-10-06, 07:37 PM
Kiwis threaten pull out over Fien drama

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 5:02 AM

The New Zealand rugby league team has threatened to pull out of the Tri-Nations if it is docked points because of Australian-born Nathan Fien's ineligibility to pull on a black jumper.

Fien played his second Test for the Kiwis in an 18-14 win over Great Britain in Christchurch on Saturday night, after it understood his grandmother was born in New Zealand.

But it has since been revealed it was Fien's great-grandmother who was born in New Zealand, and as such, he is likely to be booted from the competition.

International Federation Boss Colin Love says the Kiwis may have to show cause why they should not lose the points.

"If we lose our points then Great Britain needn't bother showing up to Wellington (on Saturday) week because we certainly won't be there," NZRL executive chairman Selwyn Bennett told the Daily Telegraph.
BTW Sel Bennett has backed down from this threat, saying it was in the heat of the moment, blah blah blah.

I still think he is a complete tool, and only sounded like a bigger one on radiosport this morning.

Poida
31-10-06, 07:39 PM
BTW Sel Bennett has backed down from this threat, saying it was in the heat of the moment, blah blah blah.

I still think he is a complete tool, and only sounded like a bigger one on radiosport this morning.
what did he say?

Grimmace
31-10-06, 07:39 PM
Well i have talked to a few GB fans who arent happy campers ATM just by reading a few things on foxsports they feel like they have been cheated.
My question why was this not picked up in the begginning.

Coaster
31-10-06, 08:06 PM
Ahh the Kiwis are cheating and the Poms are whinging and the Aussies are undefeated.

The world is back in order :win:

Steelers
31-10-06, 08:29 PM
If the Kiwis lose their points, I would defend their move to abandon the competition if thats what they did. There is no way that the Kiwis should be punished for this IMO.

Meh
31-10-06, 09:06 PM
Ahh the Kiwis are cheating and the Poms are whinging and the Aussies are undefeated.

:laugh:

Jesus can the Aussies please stop trying to strip the kiwis of points? do they all of the sudden feel threatened and need to start stripping kiwis over things that could be settled with a nice hefty fine?

Titanium_BD1103
31-10-06, 09:17 PM
LOL Meh... if only the NZRL was smart enough not to make complete idiots of themselves then the ARL would.... ;)

This is just embarrassing, I mean c'mon trying to cheat just to win a game... that is embarassing and sad, it's not wrong because IMO if a person can play if their grandparents come from that country, then why not the Great Grandparents.

I reckon the whole rule is stupid anyway, you should only be able to play for the country you are born in, or if any leeway your parents are born in.

This has created an embarrassment not just for NZ but for the whole of Rugby League now... and it wasn't ever needed.

patrick
31-10-06, 09:19 PM

:lol!:

I reckon it's a joke, but I can live with it.
I don't think Fien should be playing for NZ, but i hope they do not lose any points. Fien wouldn't have been picked for Australia anyway. Sure Willie Mason and Karmichael Hunt have NZ backgrounds, but they have not played for another country, in any way, that's other than Australia. Fien's played for Australia (in Origin) and for NZ.
You should not play for a certain country because of your grandparents. :sick:

I was just thinking, what if NZ offered Steve Price a go with them, because he plays for the Warriors and has lived there for a few years now. That would be terrible. :(

DIEHARD
31-10-06, 10:54 PM
Had Wally Lewis' sticking up for the Kiwis today, saying that the Kangaroos have some dubious selections of New Zealand stock as well.

But hopefully all this intense media critisism will convince the league bosses to take this type of thing seriously.

I hope that NZ are not stripped of points, we don't need this circus to escalate. Just kick Fien out of the Tri Nations. fine New Zealand and let's get on with business.

DIEHARD
01-11-06, 03:32 AM
LEWIS CALLS FOR 'STRONG PENALTY'

Rugby league bosses have unlimited powers to deal with New Zealand over the "Grannygate" affair which is threatening to turn the Tri-Nations drama into a full-blown crisis.

On Wednesday evening the Tri-Nations sub-committee will re-convene their deliberations into allegations that the Kiwis fielded an ineligible player in their 18-14 win over Great Britain in Christchurch last Saturday.

New Zealand have admitted that Australian-born hooker Nathan Fien's qualification is based on a great-grandmother rather than a grandmother which, in the opinion of British supremo Richard Lewis, makes for a prima facie case.

"It seems pretty clear to me that an ineligible player has been played in that match," said the RFL executive chairman, who is a member of the three-strong sub-committee. "To most neutral observers that would be unchallengable.

"It's a question of what the penalty should be and that hasn't been discussed yet. Definitely we feel there has been a serious breach of the rules.

"My feeling is that a very strong penalty should be imposed."

New Zealand have been given until Wednesday morning to make a written submission to the Tri-Nations executive and justify their selection of the Queensland-born Fien.

The Tri-Nations sub-committee - Selwyn Bennett, of New Zealand, and Australia's Colin Love are the other members - will then re-establish their conference call at 9.30pm to determine a resolution of the potentially damaging affair.

Fien looks likely to be thrown out of the tournament and New Zealand could even be docked the points gained from their win over the Lions.

"The rules don't stipulate the options," added Lewis. "Basically the sub-committee can take whatever action if feels is appropriate. The powers are wide-ranging."

Lewis, who does not fly out to Australia until next Wednesday, said he was unmoved by threats from New Zealand to take legal action and to boycott their next match against Great Britain in Wellington if the points are awarded to the Lions.

"It's completely irrelevant," he said. "It's a threat and we don't respond to threats."

Fien, who was called into the New Zealand squad following the withdrawal of David Solomona, made his debut as a substitute in the Kiwis' 20-15 defeat by Australia in Melbourne and started Saturday's match against the Lions at hooker.

He spent four seasons with North Queensland Cowboys before joining New Zealand Warriors two years ago and, unlike full-back Brent Webb, does not qualify on residency grounds.

Source: SKY SPORTS

Grimmace
01-11-06, 07:16 AM
Fien offers to fall on sword to save Kiwis
Brad Walter
November 1, 2006

NATHAN Fien is prepared to stand down from the rest of the Tri-Nations in what is almost certain to prove a futile bid to save New Zealand from being stripped of competition points.

But the Kiwis may use the "Grannygate" scandal to argue for the international constitution to be enforced to ensure clubs release their players for Test duty.

NZRL lawyers will outline legal arguments for why Fien is eligible to play for the Kiwis even though it was his great-grandmother that was born in New Zealand - not his grandmother - in written submissions to be forwarded to the International Federation executive by 3pm today.

But Kiwis officials will also concede there had been a misunderstanding over Fien's New Zealand heritage when he made himself available for selection and insist neither they nor the former Queensland Origin hooker set out to deceive, but made a simple error.

It is understood the possibility that the birth certificate Fien presented as his "Nan's" may have really been that of his Wanganui-born great-grandmother first emerged last week in the lead-up to New Zealand's Test against Great Britain in Christchurch.

Until then, NZRL officials and coach Brian McClennan had believed it was his grandmother and forwarded a copy to the ARL after naming him to make his Test debut in Melbourne the week before. The Kiwis accept that Fien had never differentiated between his grandmother and great-grandmother and reported yesterday that the 27-year-old Warriors hooker, who has a New Zealand-born daughter, was devastated by the prospect he might have cost the team its points and has offered to stand down.

A decision on whether New Zealand has breached section 3.1(B) of the RLIF constitution that says "a player is eligible to play for the country in which either of his parents or any of his grandparents was born" will be made tomorrow, with the Kiwis expected to be docked two points and Fien suspended from the New Zealand team until next year when he qualifies on residency grounds.

But the NZRL maintains the international eligibility regulations were not drafted tightly enough to mean only grandparentage, not great-grandparentage.

"We just want it clarified," NZRL chairman Selwyn Bennett told the Herald last night. "When you look at the international constitution it is very unclear about player eligibility and we believe the whole thing needs cleaning up. But we never set out to deceive anyone, it's just an innocent mistake.

"Nathan referred to her as his Nan and he told us that he knew her. After we found out, I referred to her as his great-grandmother in a TV interview last Sunday. I had nothing to hide. After reading the constitution, I didn't think it made any difference anyway." With NRL clubs refusing all but a few requests to release players for July's Test against Great Britain in England, Kiwis officials have been well versed in the wording of the RLIF constitution and have been looking for an opportunity to raise issues of player availability and neutral referees.

Few Super League-based players were available for this season's Anzac Test and McClennan was unable to use prop Jason Cayless and utility Motu Tony in the opening two matches of the Tri-Nations tournament.

Section 4 of the RLIF constitution, headed "Availability for International Rugby League", states that "a player who has been selected to play a senior international match approved as such by the board:

■ Must be made available by his club for all such matches;

■ Shall not play for his club or any other team in the period of five days before;

■ Shall not withdraw from a match without the approval of the [country] which has selected him; and,

■ In the event of withdrawing after selection shall not be permitted to play for his club ? in the period commencing five days prior to and ending five days after such a match he has been selected."

Bennett said: "They're pulling one section of the constitution on us for one thing and yet you go to the next section and that isn't being enforced."

Source:smh

Grimmace
01-11-06, 07:26 AM
Stuart blasts rattled rivals
By Dean Ritchie
November 01, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart yesterday dived into the continuing Nathan Fien fiasco by declaring: "I'd be embarrassed if I was a New Zealand player."

The humiliated NZRL will supply a written submission to the International Federation telling why it should not be docked two Tri-Nations points earned by beating Great Britain.

NZRL chairman Selwyn Bennett had a phone conference with the International Federation executive committee yesterday.

The Kiwis were told to submit their document this afternoon.

A Tri-Nations sub-committee will consider the NZRL submission and reconvene tomorrow to determine Fien's eligibility and any consequences that may flow from that decision.

New Zealand could escape with a fine or caution while Fien is likely to be kicked out of the Tri-Nations for being ineligible to represent New Zealand.

Great Britain players yesterday asked that New Zealand not be deducted their two points but Stuart spoke his mind.

"The rules should be tightened and they should be more professional about it," Stuart said.

"But if they (New Zealand) have elected to put an Australian in their national team, that's their decision.

"It's an embarrassment to New Zealand having to pick an Australian player.

"I'd be very embarrassed if I was a Kiwi player - and the fact they probably knew it before he took the field. That is the most embarrassing part of it."

Stuart urged the Tri-Nations committee to quickly decide whether they would penalise New Zealand their two points.

Tongue-in-cheek, Stuart said: "I hope they hurry up and make their decision.

"We've got a final in a couple of weeks and we might be able to bring it forward."

It is understood Fien was urged to play for New Zealand by some members of his inner-circle.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal Fien approached New Zealand coach Brian McClennan mid-year about the possibility of representing New Zealand.

McClennan told Fien he would have to show documents proving he was eligible.

Fien said his "nan" was a New Zealander.

He did not say his "nan" was his great-grandmother and not his grandmother.

New Zealand selector Darrell Williams hoped Fien would not deliberately lie about his relatives.

"I'd be disappointed if he has duped us," said Williams, a former Kiwi Test centre and fullback.

"I don't think he has. I don't think it's in him to be an out-and-out liar. It was a silly and stupid mistake."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr revealed yesterday his organisation had sent a letter to the NZRL on October 19 questioning Fien's eligibility.

"We expressed concerns over where he qualified," Carr said. "We asked for evidence and needed some proof. They wrote back the same day with his grandmother's birth certificate attached, saying it made him eligible.

"Once we questioned it and got that answer, there was really no place to take it. We had to accept the information we were given."

TAB Sportsbet yesterday suspended betting on the Tri-Nations over the Fien drama.

Bennett had threatened to withdraw New Zealand from the tournament if his team's points were deducted.

But Bennett yesterday backed down, saying his comments were made "in the heat of the battle".
Source: Daily Telegraph

RIP
01-11-06, 10:09 AM
I think MM was meaning that Fien shouldnt have been picked in the first place, and i have to agree with him there. But once you play for a country, i reckon whats done is done and thats who u play for for your whole career, and i hope thats what Fien is going to do.

If thats the case Willie Mason would be playing for Tonga since he played in the world cup 2000 for them. & since Karmiachael Hunt played for the junior kiwis dose that make him play for the kiwis. & don't forget the best, The Cayless bros. They were born in Sydney. What about DALLY MESSAGER he played for the kiwis yet his an aussie. & if this little war keeps goin what about origin level Peter Sterling would of played for QLD & Micheal Crocker will play for NSW & Karmiachael Hunt would play with him self. Greg Inglis playing for NSW this is a so stupid. IMO they should play for who they wish.

Poida
01-11-06, 10:11 AM
LOL Meh... if only the NZRL was smart enough not to make complete idiots of themselves then the ARL would.... ;)

This is just embarrassing, I mean c'mon trying to cheat just to win a game... that is embarassing and sad, it's not wrong because IMO if a person can play if their grandparents come from that country, then why not the Great Grandparents.

I reckon the whole rule is stupid anyway, you should only be able to play for the country you are born in, or if any leeway your parents are born in.

This has created an embarrassment not just for NZ but for the whole of Rugby League now... and it wasn't ever needed.
i agree. i never liked the rule of it having to be grandparent. i think it should be if u have any kiwiw blood at all. but at the same time providing you dont play state of origin

Pale Ale Panther
01-11-06, 10:48 AM
I find it hard to understand how someone that has played State of Origin for QLD can represent New Zealand, if that is true the Fien should have been automatically disqualified from representing NZ.cya. :mad:

and then to play for Australia and Qld again ? Mr T. Carroll ! :noidea: :noidea:

look, the guy lives in NZ, his daughter was born there, he was never going to play for Australia, :yell: LET HIM PLAY :yell: i do agree you should be only able to play International football for one country, :) roll this around in your head aswell, a way around the whole Origin thing is to let the Kiwi boys play origin ? then the likes of Hunt and Tahu could still play for NZ ? just a thought..............

Grimmace
01-11-06, 10:56 AM
roll this around in your head aswell, a way around the whole Origin thing is to let the Kiwi boys play origin ? then the likes of Hunt and Tahu could still play for NZ ? just a thought..............
No thanks it should be an Aussie thing only not an international thing. Who cares about fien though he played origin so IMO he should be playing for Australia.
They should use this as an example and fix it as this is pretty darn embarrasing.

Heres another Idea if you play origin you should be playing for Australia and not for any other nation.
Can you imagine if it was Steve Price instead of Fien

Pale Ale Panther
01-11-06, 11:05 AM
No thanks it should be an Aussie thing only not an international thing. Who cares about fien though he played origin so IMO he should be playing for Australia.
They should use this as an example and fix it as this is pretty darn embarrasing.

Heres another Idea if you play origin you should be playing for Australia and not for any other nation.
Can you imagine if it was Steve Price instead of Fien

all true G, but do we want good international footy or just a good tribal aussie comp ? if Hunt could play Origin but still play for the Kiwis, the need to draft poor Nathan into the side would not be needed ? i think Origin would still be great, imagine SBW, Benji and players like that ? it would only add to the game, we would prob only have a handfull in there anyways, ? and the Kiwi side would benifit from it aswell :noidea:

Grimmace
01-11-06, 11:10 AM
all true G, but do we want good international footy or just a good tribal aussie comp ? if Hunt could play Origin but still play for the Kiwis, the need to draft poor Nathan into the side would not be needed ? i think Origin would still be great, imagine SBW, Benji and players like that ? it would only add to the game, we would prob only have a handfull in there anyways, ? and the Kiwi side would benifit from it aswell :noidea:

The kiwis will be getting there type of origin shortly plus they are going to play GB on a yearly basis.

Origin would loose its meaning a bit its like sending Aussie players into the Haka who have no N.Z heritage what so ever it looses its meaning dont it.

IMO id hate to see origin include internationals as this is one thing in RL id like to see Australian.

Go_The_Doggies
01-11-06, 01:30 PM
what did he say?
I can't really remember, but he was certain the NZRL were in the right, blah blah blah. Just ended up sounding like a complete and utter idiot imo.

Go_The_Doggies
01-11-06, 01:33 PM
I was just thinking, what if NZ offered Steve Price a go with them, because he plays for the Warriors and has lived there for a few years now. That would be terrible. :(
Um, we don't need Steve Price lol, and theres no way he'd play for us. He said ages ago on the tadio he'd never play for anyone else.

Poida
01-11-06, 01:37 PM
Um, we don't need Steve Price lol, and theres no way he'd play for us. He said ages ago on the tadio he'd never play for anyone else.
plus id rather him stay for queensland lol hes a very good prop.
in fact excellent prop

Go_The_Doggies
01-11-06, 01:42 PM
Ima glad Nathan Fien is prepared to not play for until next year, instead of us getting docked points.

And I was watching the news, and a couple of GB players were saying they would rather get to the final having earned it, not just put there, and one of them said about Fien "its not like he was superman and scored 65 tries"..which they are both correct.

Oh and on the whole "if you have kiwi blood in you, you should be able to play for them" thing, if thats the way, I could also play for Scottland or Dutch lol. :|

RIP
01-11-06, 04:00 PM
Ima glad Nathan Fien is prepared to not play for until next year, instead of us getting docked points.

And I was watching the news, and a couple of GB players were saying they would rather get to the final having earned it, not just put there, and one of them said about Fien "its not like he was superman and scored 65 tries"..which they are both correct.

Oh and on the whole "if you have kiwi blood in you, you should be able to play for them" thing, if thats the way, I could also play for Scottland or Dutch lol. :|

Good call good call 3 cheers 4 Go the doggies

RIP
01-11-06, 08:46 PM
and then to play for Australia and Qld again ? Mr T. Carroll ! :noidea: :noidea:

look, the guy lives in NZ, his daughter was born there, he was never going to play for Australia, :yell: LET HIM PLAY :yell: i do agree you should be only able to play International football for one country, :) roll this around in your head aswell, a way around the whole Origin thing is to let the Kiwi boys play origin ? then the likes of Hunt and Tahu could still play for NZ ? just a thought..............

Um I don't know if you know this Pale Ale Panther sir but Timanu James Tahu was born in Victoria, Australia so even thou his name sounds like a moari god he is a tru blue green & gold aussies. just thought you would like to know this in further threads on the best footy forums in the world. :)

Pale Ale Panther
01-11-06, 08:56 PM
Um I don't know if you know this Pale Ale Panther sir but Timanu James Tahu was born in Victoria, Australia so even thou his name sounds like a moari god he is a tru blue green & gold aussies. just thought you would like to know this in further threads on the best footy forums in the world. :)

Cool, didn't know that, thanks for the info, dosen't change the theme of what i was saying though, ? and no need for the "Sir" comment its nice and all, but i'm not used to it, i usually get stupid or things more colourfull..... so dose "RIP" mean your on the central coast of NSW ? the best name for a league side since the Panthers..... :) :)

RIP
01-11-06, 09:27 PM
nah man sorry it's my 2nd ever nick name I thought it was my 1st but l8r found out it wasn't & not a central coast fan neither even thou they got ripped off by manly but still I rather some where else to put an extra team in the comp. but still a nice place here & there. so why pale ale panther is it a drink there? :beer: & will we c u at the suncorpse (Lang Park) in march around the 12th sometime? & i agree full on about if a queenslander wish 2 play for queensland & kiwis as i would love to do if i was a great league player.

Go_The_Doggies
02-11-06, 02:30 PM
Umm, Pricey was saying how Fien has more Kiwi blood and herritage in him, then what Karmichael Hunt, and Antonio Kaufusi have Australian blood and herritage.

Just thought I would add that :)

And also that my hate for Selwyn Bennett is growing even more by the day!! :mad:

Pale Ale Panther
02-11-06, 09:17 PM
nah man sorry it's my 2nd ever nick name I thought it was my 1st but l8r found out it wasn't & not a central coast fan neither even thou they got ripped off by manly but still I rather some where else to put an extra team in the comp. but still a nice place here & there. so why pale ale panther is it a drink there? :beer: & will we c u at the suncorpse (Lang Park) in march around the 12th sometime? & i agree full on about if a queenslander wish 2 play for queensland & kiwis as i would love to do if i was a great league player.

clear you Private messages ?

SuperCliffy#01
03-11-06, 01:35 PM
Umm, Pricey was saying how Fien has more Kiwi blood and herritage in him, then what Karmichael Hunt, and Antonio Kaufusi have Australian blood and herritage.

Just thought I would add that :)

And also that my hate for Selwyn Bennett is growing even more by the day!! :mad:

Let me understand this

Fiens parents are Australian

Fiens maternal and Paternal Grand Parents are Australian

Fiens Great Grand Parents are Australian except for one Great Grand Mother

Making him 6.75% New Zealand, that makes him 93.25% Australian in my book.

Fien was born in QLD

Raised in QLD, never lived in NZ

Played all his League in Australia, represented QLD

Yeah sounds like a New Zealander to me.

It is like me claiming that i am Danish because my Danish Family went to Britain in the 1300's, that is sheer lunacy.

Pale Ale Panther
03-11-06, 01:40 PM
he lives there now, his daughter was born there, in less than 12months he will be naturalised, so i'd say right at this piont he is more Kiwi than Aussie,

if he was to say he's sorry, would he be picked for Australia ? :yell: NO :yell: ! so let the poor guy get on with it ! :)

jenny
03-11-06, 01:42 PM
he lives there now, his daughter was born there, in less than 12months he will be naturalised, so i'd say right at this piont he is more Kiwi than Aussie,

if he was to say he's sorry, would he be picked for Australia ? :yell: NO :yell: ! so let the poor guy get on with it ! :)
But Panther he was born in Mt Isa! they should like Coaster said in a post, have all this cleared up at an earlier age! :)

jenny
03-11-06, 01:43 PM
Let me understand this

Fien was born in QLD

It is like me claiming that i am Danish because my Danish Family went to Britain in the 1300's, that is sheer lunacy.
:laugh: :laugh:

SuperCliffy#01
03-11-06, 01:47 PM

Ok once he qualifies his residential period and becomes a New Zealand Citizen then i have no probs with him playing for NZ.cya. :curse:

Pale Ale Panther
03-11-06, 01:52 PM
But Panther he was born in Mt Isa! they should like Coaster said in a post, have all this cleared up at an earlier age! :)

alot can happen after you are born, Andrew Simmons (aussie cricket team) i think was born in England, but you couldn't get a more Qld or Aussie Bloke :) for the sake of 6 or so months we want to ban him from playing ? he was never going to play for Qld or Australia so let him have a go ! :)

SuperCliffy#01
03-11-06, 01:54 PM
alot can happen after you are born, Andrew Simmons (aussie cricket team) i think was born in England, but you couldn't get a more Qld or Aussie Bloke :) for the sake of 6 or so months we want to ban him from playing ? he was never going to play for Qld or Australia so let him have a go ! :)

The diferrence between Symonds and Fien is that Symonds is an Australian Citizen, while Fien is not a New Zealand Citizen.cya. :dead:

Pale Ale Panther
03-11-06, 01:59 PM
The diferrence between Symonds and Fien is that Symonds is an Australian Citizen, while Fien is not a New Zealand Citizen.cya. :dead:

i answered Jennys Quote "he was born in Mt Isa" ? i just think its nit-picking on a grand scale, i don't think Nathan is a super player, but for the sake of a good international game of footy i'm prepared to overlook this. :noidea: :noidea:

Go_The_Doggies
03-11-06, 02:02 PM
Let me understand this

Fien was born in QLD

Am I saying he is a New Zealander?, no, he is an Australian, I simply said he has more New Zealand blood, and herritage in him, then what Antonio Kaufusi and Karmichael Hunt do with Australia!!!, which Pricey was correct!!!

Grimmace
03-11-06, 02:04 PM
IN all honesty if his heart is with N.Z let him play for them its not like he was going to represent Australia anyway and he will be playing for N.Z again next year on residency grounds so who cares ?.

And dont forget its a tow way street with these players aswell they got fien and we got hunt.

Go_The_Doggies
03-11-06, 02:06 PM
IN all honesty if his heart is with N.Z let him play for them its not like he was going to represent Australia anyway and he will be playing for N.Z again next year on residency grounds so who cares ?.

And dont forget its a tow way street with these players aswell they got fien and we got hunt.
AND that lard Tonie Carrol, the only reason he aint in the Tri Nats this year is because of injury!

I'm wondering what David Kidwell's thoughts on Carrol are, after all Carrol was born and grew up in Christchurch, as did Kidwell. And we all know how passionate about New Zealand Kidwell is. :satan:

jenny
03-11-06, 02:31 PM
Bloody hell this is madness at its best! :roll:
This should go for everyone ..from where ever ....if you are born in a country and a citizen of that Country...You should play for that country!
:yell: NRL WAKE UP...GET IT RIGHT!
Coaster had the best idea...get it sorted out when they are younger... :ok:

Grimmace
19-11-06, 09:04 AM
A Fein return to NZ
By Peter Badel

November 19, 2006 12:00

NEW Zealand coach Brian McClennan has offered unqualified support to a besieged Nathan Fien, saying his international career with the Kiwis is not over despite the bitter fallout from the Granny-gate scandal.

The former Queensland hooker, who is presently finding solace in his home town of Mt Isa after being booted out of the Tri-Nations tournament, has indicated he is committed to the Kiwi cause and wants to again represent New Zealand.

Under the code's residency rules, Fien will be eligible to represent the Kiwis next October as the Warriors utility will have lived in Auckland for the past three seasons. That means he can be chosen for the Kiwis' All Golds tour starting in mid-October - and McClennan insists the recent furore will not hinder his prospects.

"He will be eligible through residency next year,'' McClennan said. "He'll be in the same category as Brent Webb, Karmichael Hunt, Antonio Kaufusi and a host of others who have qualified through residency.

"If he's best man for the job, of course I'll pick him. I've seen Australian pole vaulters with Polish heritage, our Kiwi netball team has a South African, Irene van Dyk. She qualified through residency.

"If Nathan's playing well and he's qualified to play for New Zealand, yes he can be picked. But that's still a while away.'' McClennan's stance is sure to anger a section of the Kiwi fraternity, with former national coach Bob Bailey hitting out at Cairns-born Webb's selection.

Former Test captain Gary Freeman has labelled the selection of expatriates as an "embarrassment'' to the Kiwi jumper. "Playing for the Warriors for three years shouldn't qualify you,'' Bailey said.

"That's a joke. It's an even bigger joke now. We're the laughing stock of rugby league. Willie Mason and Mark Geyer were right. A rugby bloke said to me that the Tests look like NRL club games with the players just swapping into different jerseys.''

New Zealand management maintains it does not regret offering Fien a Kiwi jersey. McClennan discussed the reasons why the Kiwis were prepared to bend international eligibility rules to select Fien.

"I don't think people realise just how little talent we have out there,'' he said. "There are a lot of (Kiwi) kids in Jersey Flegg and Premier League but there's probably only 20 or 30 at NRL level who are up to Test standard.

"The Aussies have a lot more talent than us. That's why they are so dominant and why we are so disappointed to lose a bloke like Karmichael Hunt.''

The ARL hierarchy will not oppose the selection of Fien once he meets residency requirements.
Fien has vowed not to terminate his ties with New Zealand. "I will always cherish the two games I played,'' he said.

"Their support has merely reinforced my commitment to playing for the Kiwis in the future.''
Source: Sunday Telegraph